London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, edited or checked
Cemetery Chapel 1910 by W. Curtis Green.
Catholic churchof 1906. It consists of
a great central block with gabled projections on each side; A post-war
community centre is attached at the rear.
109 St Lawrence's
House a large and handsome classical house of 1924. It
was originally a school, and is now the house of the Marist Fathers.
St.Lawrence. RC. Shallow
Christ Church. A large
church of 1901, rather late for its archetypal Victorian Gothic appearance.
Uninspired externally; the ugly corrugated iron shed at the south-east hides the place where preparations for a
tower were begun but never carried out.
Services Club was Maison
Rouge This is an imposing building, probably c1880,
with its Gothic doorway and stepped gables along the frontage.
122c1878 is the only one
remaining from The Crescent
136 Horse and Groom
House A detached house, probably of the 1830s. It is
now part of a builders yard, and seems in poor condition
Fire Station included Council offices and Council
chamber . A striking Edwardian classical red brick
building of 1914, with great round archways on either side of the entrance. It
was built as a combined Fire
Station, Council Offices & Council Chamber for Sidcup UDC.
Nursery House a small building of the 1840s, with a verandah added c1900.
Sidcup Police Station. A pleasing red brick building of 1902, enlivened by its stone
porch and balcony.
Sidcup By pass
Built with unemployed
labour KCC 1926-27 an arterial road of the 1920S,
Sunnymead (Bromley Borough Education
Department), 1875 date on a rainwater head. Typical High Victorian medium-sized house, which Shawstyle was to supersede very quickly after 1875. Red
by Wallis Gilbert &Partners, shows knowledge of Dutch Expressionist
brick-work. Symmetrical block. Brown brick of two shades, the paler laid in the
usual way, the reddy bricks mostly laid on end. They add emphasis to the
horizontal strips of window and the verticals of the centrepiece. Also little
windows across angles, with projecting frames to draw attention to this feat.
The original swoopy italic lettering has been replaced.
the roundabout, is of 1961-2, a big-boned piece by Tripe & Wakeham.
former Critall metal window. Gone
A fine semi-circular green with cedar trees. It was once
ringed by great late 19th century houses.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by