Monday, 28 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Esher Road

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north east towards the Thames gradually turning north

Post to the east Esher
Post to the south West End

Esher Road
Albany Bridge over the Mole which connects Esher and Hersham. It was named after the Duchess of Albany who lived a Claremont. It was originally an ornamental timber bridge built in the mid-19th replaced by a stone bridge in 1907. A concrete bridge was put in place in 1965.
South Waylands Farm. Brick house 1600
Barn. Built 17th in brick now whitewashed in an L shaped plan- 2 barns at right angles.
West Weylands Farm

Hersham Riverside Park

Hersham Village Golf Course. Golf course set up in woodland left from a GLC tree nursery.

West End Lane
West End Recreation Ground

Sunday, 27 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole = Hersham

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole curves north west and north east

Post to the east West End
Post to the south Fairmile

Burwood Close
Scout HQ

Burhill Road
Church of St. Peter built 1887 by J.L. Pearson in Buff stone and with a square tower
Holy Trinity church was built in 1839 as a Chapel of Ease. The land on which it stood was a gift from William Holmes, Esq. 1887, but when St Peter's was built Holy Trinity Church was demolished. The site is marked by a stone near the north wall of the Churchyard
School for Infants 1842 financed by public subscription. This had had many changes but a part of the original building still stands. It was passed to Surrey County Council in 1881
Southwood Manor Farm - trading estate with many businesses.
Farm House, divided into flats. 16th with 19th. Timber framed with brick cladding. Inside some exposed frames and wattle and daub infill
Riverside by Southwood Manor Farm - flint instruments found in large numbers dating mostly from the Mesolithic period.
Woodlark NurseriesCommunity Centre
Piglets - nursery
Willow Farm

Pleasant Place
Health Centre
Burhill Infant School
Smithy – this was in a brick building now part of a private bungalow

Saturday, 26 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - West End

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north east

Post to the west Hersham
Post to the north Esher Road
Post to the south Esher Common

Stony Hill
Milestone. Unseen in grounds of a house on the north side
Claremont. The 'landscape park' was part of a larger estate laid out by Charles Bridgeman for John Vanbrugh, who owned the estate in 1711 and sold it to the Duke of Newcastle. It is one of the original
landscaped parks on which many others were based. In the 1730s William Kent began the transformation to the 'natural' style, converting the canal to a lake, overlooked by the grass amphitheatre, and including an island with a pavilion. A lake edged by a winding bank with scattered trees was a common feature of Kent's designs. The gardens are separate from Claremont House, are owned by The National Trust and known as Claremont Landscape Garden
Grotto. This is by and built of sandstone and chalk by Joseph and Josiah Lane
Bowling Green House by William Kent
Statues, including one of a pig
A dovecote, used as a summerhouse but now converted back to a dovecote
Turf amphitheatre. Designed by Charles Bridgeman in 1725 this spectacular three acre earthwork rising above the lake is one of only two surviving examples of its kind in Europe. It was designed as an eye catching feature to complement the pond in the valley below. It was forgotten until its restoration in 1975 funded by a charitable foundation. It is flanked by cedars of Lebanon. It was used for an annual ‘Fête Champêtre’ where costumed visitors arrived for four days of music, theatre and fireworks.
Camellia House. 1820 with curved ends. Unheated until 1959
Lake with Island including a ruined Temple by William Kent.

West End Lane
Prince of Wales pond. This was once larger and used by the cows at a nearby farm.
Chamber’s Farm, now a close of houses
St George’s The Iron Church. The church dates from the late 1870s and originally came in kit form to last less than seven years. It was built to save old people a climb along muddy roads into Esher. It contained a pipe organ bought from the Welsh Guards at Sandown Park in the First World War but since sold to an enthusiast
West End Sports & Social Club was founded as the Oakley Institute in the late 19th as a boys’ youth centre. It was rebuilt in 1972 and in 2005 a new clubhouse was built but moved 15 feet back from the road
Village Hall. Its site is shared with the land on which the Sports Club stands, which together with the site of St George’s, was given to the commoners of the village by Queen Victoria. Stained glass windows date from 2005. It is in the buildings of the infants’ school built in 1879 by a Mrs. Bailey in memory of her husband.
Chequers. Old pub now a house. 18th building owned by Hodgson’s Brewery in 1870. It was a base for Jerry Abershaw, a young Highwayman who robbed mail coaches. Said to be a tunnel from the inn to the Portsmouth Road, through which Jerry and his chestnut mare could escape the forces of the law. (It was clearly an amazingly big tunnel!!)
Forge – a brick building part of the Chequers. Now a house
Chequers Pond – once much larger but became overgrown and silted up
Ditches along the road – now silted up they were dug by the Canadians in the First World War
Gun emplacements from the First World War on the common inn undergrowth
West End Cottage built by Lord Tyrconnel, one of the owners of Claremont, for his mistress Sarah Thompson,
Claremont Cottage. Scene of a murder – a mother killed her children.
Clover Cottage- once called Alder’s Cottages built by Thos. Alder, a 19th butcher and friend if George Meredith
Albany Lodge, Royal Arms on the front. Home of the physician to the Duchess of Albany
Talbot Lodge – previously called Glenhurst

West End Gardens
The Cedars. Had a ghost of a grey lady. Demolished in the 1930s. New houses now on site.
West End Lodge,
The Orchard belonged to Florence Nightingale.

Winterdown Road
Garsons Farm and garden centre. The farm is first noted in 1526, and called “Gastunfeld,” In 1780 it was farmed with Walton Farm. Run as a garden centre by the Thompson family.
Winterhouse Farm and Moat, also called Walton Farm and dates to the 16th. In 1548 it was known as “Wynterhous”. It was much larger in the 17th when it stretched to Stoney Hills
Prince of Wales. Built 1892
Tower of Hodgson’s Brewery, later used by Mr. Plowman as a boot repairer’s and saddler’s shop. Brewery dated from the 1840s and a red brick building remains from 1899. Used by a coal merchant from the First World War

Friday, 25 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Esher Common

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole curls north east and then north west forming the boundary to the woods.

Post to the north West End
Post to the west Fairmile

Esher Common
A Site of Special Scientific Interest which includes heath, grassland, and scrub, woodland although heath land has been lost since grazing ceased. Many invertebrate species - over 2000 found of which many are rare. Scots pines were planted here in the 1830s and much timber has been felled since particularly in the Second World War.
Black Pond. On the Kingston Zodiac this is said to be ‘on the dark twin’ of Gemini. It was a reservoir used as water supply for Claremont Gardens.
Concrete changing huts for when they used to allow swimming.
Pump House remains which housed a donkey operated pump on the north bank used to pump water to Claremont. The circular building was destroyed in the First World War.
Horseshoe Clump. Clive of India diverted the Portsmouth Road as part of the designs for Claremont under Capability Brown. Horseshoe Clump Hill was cut through and the mound of earth from the excavations is the present Horseshoe Clump. It was known at the time as the “New Cut Hill”.

Rifle Butt remains on the north side of Horseshoe Clump
where Victorians learned to shoot. Thought they were abandoned after the First World War.

Winterdown Woods
On the Kingston Zodiac we are reminded that this is named for the dark twin on Gemini
The ledges – areas of high ground along the Mole where Neolithic flint implements have been found.

“Esher’s Beverly Hills”
Edward VIII pillar box 500 yards from Portsmouth Road

Portsmouth Road
The A3 Portsmouth Road is now by-passed for much of its old route. It came under a turn-pike trust by Act of Parliament in 1772.
Upper Court. Built for William Brotherton, one of Wellington's Waterloo generals. It had been built in 1846 on Dog Kennel Field and was called "The Firs". Brotherton also bought 16 acres of ground as a setting for the mansion, as a wedding present for his son. It was known as Upper Court when David LLoyd George leased it house for about a year in 1921 for his secretary, Frances Stevenson, who he later married. It is a mid 19th Yellow brick house In Italianate style with a Central bellcote. Enlarged and changed in the 20th and 21st.
The Homewood. This was the home in the 1920s of the Infanta Beatrice of Spain. Her s house was demolished and replaced by the current modernist house owned by the National Trust
The Homewood. Was the 1930s dream of architect, Patrick Gwynne built on a 10-acre estate his parents owned and with their money. Gwynne, was 24, and wanted a house which was white, rectilinear, flat-roofed, in an Arcadian setting. At its heart is a living room with a sprung maple dance floor, fold-out bar, built-in music system, and windows overlooking the gardens. After the Second World War Gwynne ran his architectural practice from it and donated it to the National Trust in 1992. He died in 2003.
Winterdown – home of Locker Lamson MP who had a hut in the grounds where Einstein used to play his violin
Mile stone south of Horseshoe Clump. This is for 15 miles from Hyde Park. A series of triangular-shaped milestones were placed along the length of the road in the late 18th

Thursday, 24 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Fairmile

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows south east and then turns north east

Post to the west Burhill
Post to the north Hersham
Post to the east Esher Common

Portsmouth Road
American International Community School. Takes children of all ages and offers an American curriculum. Although it is in effect yet another posh private school. It includes: Early Childhood village; Lower, Middle, and High School buildings; gym, dining room and dormitories. Interactive Learning Centre and sports facilities
On the site of ‘Heywood; which was said to be a manor held by a family of that name in 1206 - the earliest mention of the manor of Heywood at Cobham is of ‘Heiwude’ and talk of the "the rabbit warren on Heiwudeland". In the late 18th the estate was called the Hermitage and belonged to John Campbell, The house was rebuilt in 1804 by Dr William Anderson who sold it to Prince Leopold, widower of Princess Charlotte. He sort of married someone else, Eve Karoline, and she moved here with her mother who didn’t like it and he went to become King of Belgium and she cleared off. In the Second World War it was used by the Fairmile Marine Company, manufacturer of torpedo boats. It was acquired by ACS International Schools in 1975.
Air raid shelter near the mansion,
Blackbird Cottage build for the chauffeur
Bluebird Cottage built for the head gardener
Long Cottage built for estate workers
Greenhouse was part of a walled kitchen garden
Farm area originally had stables, chaff house, carpenter's shop, barn, hen house, cattle shed, cow houses, piggeries, laundry and pond with boat house'. It is now site of various additional school buildings.

Thames Tributary River Mole - Burhill

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north west

TQ 11307 63307

Posh Surrey countryside

Post to the east Fairmile
Post to the south Old Common

Burhill Road
Burhill Golf Course. Opened in 1907. The Club House is a Georgian mansion house, built in 1726.
Riverside Farm. Livery Yard

Elvedon Road
Norwood Farm. Late stone age axe found here in 1968. In Domesday this is in the manor of Esher.

Burhill Golf Course. Web site
Surrey History

Thames Tributary River Mole - Old Common

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north east

Post to the north Burhill
Post to the south Cobham
Post to the west Convent Lane

Old Common Road
Entrance Lodge to Chestnut Lodge c1830. Stucco
Chestnut Lodge, originally Marsh Place Farm and home of the Freeland family. c1830.
Hollybush Cottages

Thames Tributary River Mole - Convent Lane

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues to flow north

TQ 09842 60578

Rural area north of Cobham with institutions on old estate areas

Post to the west Old Common
Post to the south Painshill

Convent Lane

Beards Hill
Burwood House used by Blue Belles Nursery and Notre Dame Preparatory and Senior Schools. A Foundation of the Company of Mary Our Lady. Founded in Bordeaux in 1607 by Jeanne de Lestonnac – middle class French lady who joined the church when widowed and did a lot of surprisingly effective good works. Late 18th house in yellow stock brick. On the first floor relief
panel of "Battle of the Lapiths and Centaurs” above that are some battlements

Seven Hills Estate
Walton Firs Scout Camp. In the 1930s Walton Firs was a private golf club. The old wooden bungalow, now the Service Team quarters, was the club house. In 1936 “Scottie Robertson", a Scout, discovered the abandoned site and arranged for it to be used for weekend camps. It was then purchased by the Scout Association with help from Colonel Walton. During the Second World War, a Royal Artillery Anti-Aircraft Battery was stationed here. Lady Baden-Powell opened the site in 1943 but the commemorative oak tree was destroyed in the hurricane of 1987. Many new buildings and facilities were added and in 2008 became an independent trust

Seven Hills Road

Notre Dame School. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Walton Firs Activity Centre. Web site


Thames Tributary River Mole - Painshill

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole now flows

Post to the north Convent Lane
Post to the east Cobham
Post to the south Painshill
 A3 roundabout

A full time gyratory roundabout at the junction of the old Portsmouth Road and the A3 Esher Bypass built in the 1970s.

Byfleet Road
Manor Pond owned as a fishery by C
entral Association London Provincial Angling Clubs. Up to the 18th it is thought that the area occupied by Manor Pond was a marshy expanse with a stream running through it. The stream still exists and travels west to East through the pond. Part of the area, was dammed, to make a lake.
Adder Pond is artificial and built at the same time as Manor Pond
Feltonfleet School. House built in the 1870s. Yet another posh private school, this time one which moved here from Folkestone.

Street Cobham
Street Cobham is a settlement which grew around the area where the main road to Portsmouth crosses the river Mole. It is possible that the name of Elmbridge – which is the name of the Hundred – refers to this crossing and that the Hundred met here.
Cobham Bridge over the Mole. Is said to have been built for Queen Matilda in the 12th to replace a ford and for the benefit of the soul of a maiden who had drowned here. In 1350 it was reported that the wooden bridge here was broken it was repaired in 1353 by the Earl of Hereford. It was replaced with a brick one in 1780 by George Gwilt, the County Surveyor. It was widened in 1914. It is red brick with stone coping and nine arches. 20th parapets approximately four foot high. The main road crosses the Mole at on this bridge. There is a plaque on the parapet of the bridge about Queen Matilda.
Faircroft. House on a site where cattle fairs were held in the 18th and early 19th on the feast of St.Andrew.
Swan Inn opened in 1431 but the site not known although it was there to the 18th

Painshill Park
Laid out by Charles Hamilton 1704-1780, fourth son of the Duke of Abercorn. Laid out on what was barren heathland – previously owned by De Quesne who had built the house. He had been succeeded by a William Bellamy who consolidated the estate by the purchase of some farms. Hamilton made it a pleasure garden as a series of three dimensional pictures altered by surprises and illusions - a garden of the mood as you moved on. The image of a painting by Poussin. By 1953 the follies were all being destroyed by a timber company – but it is now open and restored by Painshill Park Trust.
Painshill House. The house is now divided into flats. This house is on a different site to the original built for Charles Hamilton and only a fragment left of the house which originated with De Quesne. The current house was built in 1778 by Richard Jupp for Benjamin Hopkins, with alterations by Decimus Burton in 19th and then Norman Shaw, who was commissioned by Charles James Leaf. Shaw removed the grand portico but it was replaced in the 1920s by one taken from the Temple of Bacchus which might be by Robert Adam. Painshill has many owners but was owned by the Coombe family in the 20th
Roman bath
Turkish tent – has been rebuilt. Designed by Henry Keene it has white drapes and golden finials. The tent is a solid building with additional drapes which were originally were made of canvas and papier-mâché, but have been replaced with fibreglass to last longer - although they still look like a tarpaulin. It is on the top of a hill. There were no extant standing remains of the original 18th Tent, and half the site of the feature belonged to a neighbouring landowner. Contemporary accounts suggested that it was brick and plaster, draped with white-painted, blue-fringed canvas. It had a lead roof. In 1986 archaeologists uncovered the remains bricks laid in herringbone pattern. Because of the land ownership issues it was decided to site a new Tent 50 yards to the south.
Icehouse. Built of brick into a natural hillside. The dome is a metre below the surface. The entrance is an 18ft long vaulted tunnel 5ft high in place. The ice pit is circular and there are three possible doors. It is adjacent to the ornamental water as a source of ice.
Fir walk, Amphitheatre. This is a planted area including a cork oak in the centre of the lawn. The shape of is based on a plan of 1744 by John Rocque and combines ideas from Italianate gardens and the emerging informal style of the English landscape movement. It includes a Statue which is a copy in lead of the Sabine group by Giambologna, c1582, the marble original of which is in Florence.
Bath house and pumping engine. A pump was near the Bath-house and worked by horse power, to supply water to the house from a nearby spring.
Great cedar of Lebanon is reputedly the largest in Europe. With a girth of 10,28 m near the ground and a height of 36 m. It lost some of its branches in a storm of 2007
Five arch bridge
Heywood Girl Guides Camp
The Broom
Portsmouth road
Matthew Arnold Close on the site of Painshill Cottage where Matthew Arnold lived 'the hermit of the Mole' from 1822 for the last fifteen years of his life. Demolished 1963

Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Cobham

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole curves north east and then north west

TQ 10671 60296

Central area of this upmarket small town.

Post to the west Painshill
Post to the north Old Common
Post to the south Cobham

Anyards Road
Built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm. First development of low cost middle class housing in the area.
Cobham Village Hall. Built by subscription 1888. The Village Hall showed silent films from 1916, on a couple of evenings a week. It stopped in 1929. This building has now gone.
Gospel hall

Between Streets
A very sensible name for the road which joins the two communities of Church Cobham and Street Cobham. Originally seems to have been a lane which crossed Church Field.
Market. A market granted by King Stephen may have been held at the junction with Portsmouth Road –where the road widens. The road from Leatherhead is older than the Portsmouth Road hence the bend in the main road. A market here would have funded a settlement in Church Cobham and also passing traffic. It was closed at the end of the 16th
A plan for a railway was made in 1879 for a line from Kingston with a station on what is now Oakdene Parade.
Clerkenwell Property Marker. A cast iron marker by the entrance to Waitrose has names of church wardens of Clerkenwell in 1862. In 1614 Church Stile House was left to the parish of Clerkenwell
Post Boys Row. Built 1780s for post boys returning horses to coaching inns
27 Sacred Heart. Roman Catholic Church. Built 1957 to designs of Goodhart-Rendell. The church is typical Goodhart-Rendel with classical forms. Simple barrel vaults with aisles exploiting Lutyens ‘disappearing pilaster’ and the American flavour of a white-boarded cupola.

Bridge Way
Sainsbury’s store. Possible site of a Roman farmstead discovered during building a sewage works on this site in 1932.
Cobham Gas Light and Coke Co. Late 1860s.
Sewage works. No filtration here now, the works consists only of pumps which transfer the untreated water to Esher

Cedar Road
This is on the line of an old path which gave access to the mill from Hogshill Lane. It was built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm – the first development of low-cost middle class housing in the area.
Schools. Built in 1860 in memory of Harvey Coombe by his sister. School buildings used as an adult centre. Library part of the complex. Since developed.
Ebenezer Strict Baptist Chapel. With a plaque over the door to say that it was founded by William Huntingdon. Opened in 1873 and now owned by Surrey County Council. It is now a kitchen shop
Methodist Chapel. Opened in 1862 by Samuel Wesley Bradnack following a great deal of activity against drink and so on. Demolished in 1966 and the adjacent Sunday School building became the church.

Owes its site to its location on The Mole. Until the late 18th it was called ‘Covenham’ – which could mean ‘a settlement hemmed in by water’, or ‘Cofa’ as a personal name - Or it could mean ‘inner chamber’ referring to Cobham Court. In the Dark Ages and later it was a possession of Chertsey Abbey.

Copse Road
Built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm. First development of low cost middle class housing in the area.
St.John’s Mission church. 1899 provided by Miss Carrick Moore. Designed by Leonard Martin with Arts & Crafts fittings. Demolished for housing. The church hall remains in use as a family centre.

Court Way
This is an old name for an old path which runs from the High Street along Hollyhedge Road.

Hollyhedge Road
Steam Mill. Built in the 1820s at the rear of the present Barclay’s Bank by Daniel Dallen of Cobham Mill.

Hogshill Lane
Built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm. First development of low cost middle class housing in the area.
Tiltwood Care Home

Northfield Road
Council housing on the site of Northfield Farm 1930s.

Old Common
5/ 328 Post Boys and Old Cottage Cottage row. Early 18th Brick
Mount Cottages built by Leonard Martin

Portsmouth Road
El Torito in the White Lion Hotel – latterly The Vermont Exchange. Also called The Exchange and the Cobham Exchange. This is an 18th brick building, originally a 17th coaching inn with a Georgian front. In one of the bedrooms is a fireplace which had an inscription of 1584 and the building it may well be earlier. Here the squire and the vicar gathered their raiding party in 1650 to break up the Diggers at Weybridge. ‘White Lion’ was the badge of Edward VI. 20th extensions at the rear. Timber framed building with brick cladding
Cobham Lodge Hotel
45 Alsford Timber in a brick building once used as a forge.
91-93 Police Station
Coveham this was on the corner of Anyards Road on the site of the Royal Oak which had been erected and named after Charles II. Demolished 1974.
39 Old House late 18th
41 Vine House late 18th
Wyndham Court on the site of the Cobham Brewery from the end of the 18th. Sold to Ashby in 1896 by Mackay and they Owned most of the local pubs. In 1913 it became Cobham United Breweries and closed in 1922. The site was bought by Watney which used it as a store and finally demolished in the 1970s.
Gardening Club on the site of Randall’s Farm. Owned by the Crawter family in the late 18th
168 Health Centre which was the Cottage Hospital. opened in 1905 by the Duchess of Albany

Street Cobham
Berkeley Homes offices. Site of George Hotel. 18th built because the Portsmouth Road as busy. Burnt down and replaced by the Antelope which was demolished.
Sainsbury’s petrol station is the site of Cobham Motor Works which was on the site of the Kings Arms pub and originally called the Cobham Garage.
Savoy Cinema was built opposite Northfield Road in 1937. It also had a stage where occasional live shows were performed, and there was a café. It was taken over by Shipman & King in 1938 and by the Grade Organisation in 1967. It closed in 1970.

World’s End
This could have been part of an early medieval market place, with old houses

Cinema Treasures. Web site
El Torito. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge
Industrial Archaeology. Elmbridge area
Methodist History. Web site
Taylor. Book of Cobham
Taylor. Cobham. A History

Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Chatley

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north west, and then turns north east, forming the southern boundary of Painshill

The square covers only the south western section of Painshill Park.
TQ 08906 59088

A quarter section of amazing Painshill Park plus some surrounding posh countryside

Post to the east Painshill
Post to the south Chatley Heath
Post to the west Wisley Common

Painshill Park
The Park was the idea of Charles Hamilton 1704-1780, fourth son of the Duke of Abercorn. It was laid out on what was barren heath land as a pleasure garden in a series of three dimensional pictures altered by surprises and illusions - a garden of the mood as you moved on. Inspired by the paintings of Poussan. In 1952 many of the follies were being destroyed by a timber company but the park has since been opened and restored by a Trust.
Waterwheel. The great Bramah wheel, said to be the first recorded use of cast iron in gardening. The lake is above the level of the River Mole, and had to be filled by lifting water from the river. Three different devices were successively used. At first a wheel, with paddles around its circumference was used. This was turned by the flow of the stream, and had four leather tubes which scooped up the water into a trough and thus into the lake. The second was an endless chain of buckets worked from a shaft with a horse mill. In the 1830's a pump operated by a large cast-iron water wheel, worked by the flow of the river was installed by Bramah and Son. By the 1950s this was dilapidated, the wooden weather-boarded pump house collapsing, great the wheel shedding paddles and the pumps and connecting rods rusted up. It is now restored and listed Grade II
Alpine valley. A path of evergreen conifers and pines leading to the Gothic Tower.
Temple of Bacchus. This stood on the terrace of the River Mole. It was built before 1760, and was the only building in England that Thomas Jefferson admired in 1786. It was used to house some of Hamilton’s statues. There were busts of the Caesars and an antique statue of Bacchus, allegedly Greek and smuggled out of Italy. The statues were sold in 1797, and four of the columns were used in the main house in 1925. The statue of Bacchus was tracked down by researchers. It had been sold in 1797 to William Beckford of Fonthill but was found at Anglesey Abbey, near Cambridge, amd owned by the National Trust. It is still being restored.
Elysian Plain - an area of colourful plantings
Gothic tower. 99 steps and public toilets at the bottom. It is a watch tower, square, castellated with a round turret
Hermitage. This was built of logs and roots. It had a thatched roof and Gothic windows. By the 1940s it was derelict and was chopped up for firewood by the military during the Second World War. In 2007 the building was re-created by the Painshill near the old foundations. Space for a hermit within.
Red Hill

Pointers Road
Chatley Wood
Chatley Farm House. 16th with 18th front on a Timber framed core and red and blue brick. Weather boarded extension. Lead mark fire insurance plate from 1779. Hand in Hand Insurance.
A Roman bath house was found on the left bank of the Mole 360-320 AD. Excavation in 1942 uncovered four rooms, a stoke hole and furnace. There were also concentrations of Mesolithic worked flint.

British History on line. Cobham
Painshill Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey

Thames Tributary River Mole - Painshill South

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues to flow north west and forms the southern boundary of Painshill Park  Painshill

The square covers some of the southern area of Painshill Park

Post to the west Chatley
Post to the north Painshill
Post to the south Hatchford Park
Post to the east Cobham

Painshill ParkThe park was designed and implemented by Charles Hamilton 1704-1780, fourth son of the Duke of Abercorn, and probably financed by borrowing from Walpole. It was laid out on what was barren heathland. Hamilton made it a pleasure garden as a series of three dimensional pictures altered by surprises and illusions - a garden of the mood as you moved on. In many of the 1953 follies were being destroyed by a timber company. The park has since been opened and restored by a Trust. Some of the earliest rhodedendrons in this country are here and one of the largest cedars of Lebanon in Europe.
The Lake. This is an artificial lake built above the level of the river Mole and originally fed from the Mole through an elaborate network of locks and adits. Dug to resemble Alpine scenery and designed so that it could not all be seen at once- It changes shape and size with every vista. There are a number of decorative bridges, going to an island with bracken, and a jagged tufa arch. The grotto occupies two islands and there is an arbour, an arch and other pieces of stone
The island is cut in two by the water with the bridge on the old part of the lake. The lake is now self sustaining through rainfall.
The Grotto is built across two islands in the lake to look like a rocky outcrop. It was vandalised by soldiers during and after the Second World War and later lead was stolen from the roof leaving it to collapse. It is thought that the Grotto was designed by Hamilton and built by Joseph Lane. The water around the grotto was pumped from the lake in the 18th century by an Archimedes screw which would have been turned by hand. It first entered a tank from which it cascaded into the two alcove pools. It then flows into the rocky pools on the floor and is then returned to the lake. The grotto walls are made of brick from Hamilton’s own brickworks and faced with limestone held in place with metal rods. The illusion of a crystal grotto is done with plaster stalactites covered with crystals of gypsum, calcite, quartz and fluorite. The lower walls are covered in clinker stone to represent stalagmites. In the 18th the floor would have been covered with fine, sand and shells.
Chinese Bridge – rescued from dereliction and rebuilt
Vineyard. Created by Charles Hamilton on the south facing slope and replanted in the late 20th it now produces white, rose and sparkling wine which is sold locally.
Woollett Bridge. William Woollett produced contemporary drawings and paintings of the park, an elaborate haphazard tufa bridge.
Cascade, restored in 1987. Designed to be hidden by the curving design of the lake the water flows in 5 or 6 streams over mossy rocks and boulders and oak trunks.
Chinese Peninsula. A zigzag path opens out to lawns and borders. The larger lawn is planted in the mid-18th style with serpentine border edges and those shrubs from around the world which would have been available to Hamilton. The stud flower bed in the lawn, has Europe and North America plants with a central specimen tree
Ruined Abbey. The abbey was the last of the follies to be created, to conceal the remains of Charles Hamilton’s brick and tile works which partly financed the whole project., when the park was put up for sale in 1772. Surprisingly large, it was built as the focal point of the gardens. In 1953 it was 'almost invisible' in the trees. It is two stories high with three sides to each half of hexagonal Gothick towers with pinnacles at the corners. The towers are joined by a curetain wall with arches. It is in brick and originally covered in Roman cement -and rooms inside the towers.
Mausoleum. A replica of a Roman triumphal arch meant to remind one of the transience of material things. Built as a ruin, its surroundings were supposed to give a mood of 'melancholy'. On each side of the arch is a door going to room lined with niches

Wood Hill

Thames Tributary River Mole - Hatchford Park

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows south west and then turns north west

Post to the north Painshill Park
Post to the east Chilbrook
Post to the west Chatley Heath

Ockham Lane
Little Brickfield Copse

Pointers Road
Hatchford Park. A manor house was first built on the site around 1740. It belonged to a John Wilson and was purchased in 1744 by John Lewin Smith who rebuilt the house. It passed through several hands including by Isabella Saltenstall in 1802. In the mid 1800s Lady Ellesmere laid out some 70 acres of gardens and woodlands. The original house of 1850 was remodelled in the 1890s by Rowland Plumbe. It was red brick with half timbered gables. Inside some panelling and plasterwork remained along with a Jacobean style staircase. The estate was later bought by Sir Bernhard Samuelson whose mausoleum is in the woods, and Canadian troops were billeted there in the Second World War. It became a private school in 1947. Then the house was for a while a school for handicapped children but this closed in 1990 and the original building was destroyed by fire in 2000 during conversion to luxury flats and despite the efforts of 25 fire brigade appliances 95% of the building was lost. The shell of the original 18th century building was kept and the development called Hatchford Manor. The first episode of Doctor Who which featured Jon Pertwee was filmed at the school in 1963.
Stable court built 1890 by Rowland Plumbe in red brick. There are pavilions built around a courtyard plus a square clock tower with a weathervane. There is also an arched gateway.
Wall, pavilion and gates alongside the main house date from 1890. They are in rubble stone and consist of single storey pavilions with square domed roofs. A stone wall links these pavilions which are decorated with crests and scrolls. In the centre are 10 foot high iron gates.
Woods owned by Surrey County Council.
Ice house in Hatchford Wood. It is an underground structure with a brick entrance corridor and a large dome shaped building 20 feet tall. It is covered in earth.
Pointers. Home of Thomas Page who bought Cobham Manor and the Cobham Park Estates in 1799 and this house became the manor house. He was wealthy and entertained royalty here. He left it all to his daughter in 1842.
The Bogs
Lodge Copse
Bramble Wood
Pointers Farm

Monday, 21 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Chilbrook

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows south west and is joined by the Chilbrook Stream

TQ 10793 58154

Pleasant village area in upmarket countryside

Post to the west Hatchford Park
Post to the north Cobham
Post to the east Downside
Post to the south Downside Horsley Road

Chilbrook Farm Road
Chilbrook refers to a stream in this area.
Chilbrook Farm. 18th, with mid 17th origins. It is in red brick with black brick headers and has gabled dormers and a brick and wood porch. There is a "priest's hole" at the side of a first floor brick chimney stack accessed from floorboards in the attic
Pondtail Farm
Forge Cottages

Hamlet with model cottages.

Downside Common Road
Downside Common.
St. Matthews Church of England, Primary Schools. Building of 1867
The Cricketers Pub. The building is mid 16th but first noted as a pub in the mid 19th.
Downside and Hatchford Village Hall

Downside Road
Cobham Stud Farm. Opened by Charles Coombe on the site of a pub called the Wagon and Horses. The stud revolved round a stallion called Blair Atholl. Now a fencing company
1 Cossins, residential care home. In 1465 maintained as Cosyns but the present house is 18th
Park Farmhouse – could also be a medieval foundation along with Cosyns but this house is late 16th. A central chimney stack house with a safer brick chimney in a wooden house.
Cossins Farm. Various light industrial units in some of the farm buildings, including The Frame Factory, and S.Burvill Forge.
Curtain Pond Cottages

Ockham Lane
Pointers Green
Brickfield Copse
Wrens Nest Cottage

Plough Lane
Half Penny Cross. Nearby is a deep gully through which the Chilbrook runs. The gully is called Ceole which was a Saxon word for throat.

British Listed Buildings. Web site
Cricketers. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
St. Matthews School. Web site
Taylor. Cobham. A History

Sunday, 20 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Cobham

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows south west

TQ 10400 60208

Central area of this upmarket village, taking in some of the Park and other 'big' houses.

Post to the west Painshill
Post to the north Cobham
Post to the east Cobham Tilt
Post to the south Chilbrook

Anvil Lane
Anvil is a corruption of Hamwell
Cobham Court. The centre for administration of the Manor of Cobham and home of the Chertsey Abbey bailiff. Repaired the Chertsey Abbey in 1331 and a chapel added. Local medieval courts were held here. The Surrey Union Hunt had its kennels here in 1902 and from the 19th in the same ownership at Cobham Park. The original house, called Gavells, has been replaced.
Cobham Court Farm. 17th house with Edwardian front and early 20th extension. It has a Timber framed core
Barn. 18th Timber framed barn. Listed.

Church Cobham
The settlement which grew around St.Andrew’s Church. The area was owned by Chertsey Abbey but this part of the village was probably laid out by the Lord of the Manor in the reign of King Stephen. After the dissolution the Bigley family bought the manor from Mary I and it then passed to the Gavell family. Some of the area was turned into a Chase under Henry VIII which means it was part of a Royal Deer Park and thus under special regulation, which has never been rescinded.

Church Street
This was the spine road of Church Cobham. Plots backing onto the river on the south side are probably 12th and laid out by Chertsey Abbey to maximise income. The rear boundaries may follow the line of an earlier road from Cobham Court and Downside Bridge to the mill.
12 Beech House built by Leonard Martin now a dentist
14 Homestead built by Leonard Martin and now a restaurant
15 Mole Cottage, at one time, a butcher's shop. Dated 1645, and built end on to street. Timber framed with fake timber framing to the upper floors. Originally this was a cottage, with a north hearth room and south service room, and two rooms over. It has the initials 'WK' on a
ground floor timber and this may be William King, a draper, who left
it to his son-in-law, Gerald Winstanley, the Digger
18 Overbye early 18th. Lived in by tailors and later called ‘St. Luke's Hostel’ and later ‘Lych Gate House’. Home of Leonard Martin, the architect who restored Church Stile House and designed Sandroyd (now Reeds) School – plaque to him on the house. The original house is the square portion on the right when seen from the road
19 Limehouse. An 18th house on the site of an earlier building. It is a Queen Anne Style house with a front of 1700 and a later rear. It was used by various tradesmen as two houses – the east wing was called ‘Somers’, and the rest ‘Christmas’. It is in red and blue brick with red brick dressings.
21 Church Stile House. It stands at the grave- yard entrance and where the vicar lived from the early middle ages. A house stood here in the 13th which was purchased by the Abbot of Chertsey and the house has a date plaque for 1432 although it was rebuilt in the mid 17th by Edward Fawcett, a London tallow chandler. A red brick wing at the rear is 17th and the house has a double overhang which is rare in Surrey. In 1614 Roger Bellow, a brewer, donated it to the poor of Clerkenwell and an iron plate in the garden listed the Clerkenwell church wardens. In 1902 it was an almshouse for ‘gentlewomen’ combined with a school for crippled children, but from 1948 has been a private house.
5 Phoenix with 18th façade. Had been the workplace of Eldred Tickety Ledger the watchmaker.
Building used as a dress shop. This was a butcher's shop in the early 18th it was owned by the Slifield family. And it later became a Coffee House and Reading Room.
Church Field was on the north of the street and used for strip farming.
Cobham Telephone Exchange. This is on the site of Longboyds, which was an owned by the Crawter family who were 19th land agents and local property owners.
Fox and Hounds. Now demolished. Had been built around 1900 on the site of an earlier building.
St.Bridgets. This was rebuilt by Leonard Martin. It was probably early 19th and is said to have been the laundry for Lime House and Church Stile House.
The Crown Inn. Opposite The Fox and Hounds. In 1764 used as a pub but later was a butchers. The pub was later owned by the Cobham Brewery. Closed down and demolished pre-First World War
The White Hart. Used as a general store from 1863 and now demolished
St. Andrew’s Church. Chertsey Abbey built this church for their tenants here around 1176, possibly on the site of an earlier church. It was extended shortly after and set at a slight angle to the nave and a chapel was added with places to wash cups in. There is a decorative Norman doorway, a Norman arch in the tower grooves where bell ropes were pulled – there are six bells, three of them from 1687. There are brasses -a 15th brass with a priest and on the other side a bearded layman – pivoted so both sides can be seen, and a brass of 1500 of the Adoration of the Shepherds. The church was restored several times in the 19th - the north aisle was rebuilt in 1886. A Chantry Chapel from the early 13th was restored as Cobham's War Memorial Chapel in 1919. There us a memorial tic poet Matthew Arnold. There is a stained glass window by Burne-Jones.
Churchyard extended in 1210. There is an ancient yew tree in the Garden of Memory. Local big wig Harvey Coombe is buried in the churchyard in a Soanesque mausoleum.

Cobham Park
The estate was made up of a parcel of properties including Downe Place and Bridge House Farm. In 1728 Bridge House Farm was sold to John Bridges of Cobham who built the house and landscaped the grounds. He merged the property with Downe House, demolished and rebuilt it. Eventually in the early 19th the estate was bought by Henry Lutterell, Earl of Carlhampton, and then Downe Place was bought by a brewer, Harvey Combe. Following a number of problems and a con man it was sold to a Thomas Page who left it to his daughter in 1842.
House. The house is on the site of Bridge House Farm. A mansion was built on the site by John Bridges who sold it in 1749 to Sir John Ligonier. It was rebuilt after a fire in the 1870s by Charles Coombe in Burgate Stone by Edward Middleton Barry, son of Charles Barry, and the result is a French Renaissance house which was home to Hucks brewer, who became a lunatic. Said to be the third house in the country to have electricity. In 1939 the Eagle Star Insurance Group moved there Administrative Centre here. The basement became an air-raid shelter. Between 1958 and 1979 various companies leased parts of the house as office space and then it was leased by Logica who bought it from the Combe family and restored it converting the whole site to office space. In the early 21st it was converted into flats.
Ice House. Underground near the lake – in vaulted brick icehouse which was damaged in the Second World War. The walls would have been lined with straw and ice cut from the lake during the winter. Probably 18th.
Stables- also converted to flats
Cobham Park Woodyard and Brewhouse. Designed 1848 by William Cubitt. It has an arched carriage entrance and Double planked garage doors under a glass roof across the front on iron scrolls. There is a wooden cupola. The name relates to the source of the Coombe family’s wealth in the City of London and the keystone is that from the London brewery.

Crown Alley
A footpath which links the High Street to the Tilt. Was this the line of the original main road?

Downside Road
Previously known as Poultry Lane
The Pound was originally at the end of Plough Lane but was later moved to opposite the entrance to Cobham Court.
Church Corner. This is now called Church Cottage. From 1814 it was the home of William Watts, engraver.
Plough Corner Cottage. c.1600 built as a smoke bay cottage
Old Garden House. Home of a blacksmith who lived opposite the entrance to Cobham Park. 17th house later occupied by a seedsman. Demolished by Harvey Coombe.

Downside Bridge Road
Downside Bridge. Once known as ‘Little bridge’ it is medieval but rebuilt as a brick structure by Gwilt in 1786 after a flood. In 1968 floods again washed the bridge away and it was rebuilt in 1971.
Church Gate House. House. c1700 built of brick with fishscale tiling above.
Pyports. William le Pypard appears to have lived here in 1332 but by the 18th it was the home of the Skrine family and then the Freeland family. Later it was the home of Sir William Hoste, and then the Currie family of brewers and then the Lushington family made it a centre for pre-Raphaelites and Christian Socialists. It became a centre of aggressive Methodism under the Bradnacks. Mesolithic flint axes were found in the grounds. It has a timbered hall hidden behind the Georgian facade and was for a while in the 19th called The Cedars. There are Sun Fire Insurance marks on both the front and the back
Pyrports Barn. Used by the first Methodists in the area and became a chapel. Led to a great deal of dissent and persecution of Methodists and by them of the local drinkers.
Rose Lodge. On the site of the original medieval vicarage. Probably used as such from 465, when it was founded by Chertsey Abbey, until 1717.
Royal British Legion Building

High Street
Originally seems to have been a lane which crossed Church Field. It did not exist as a road until the 19th but there was a back lane which went on the east side – was this the original medieval layout?
Holly Lodge. Home of the first RC priest in the area in 1912. Built by Daniel Dallin of Cobham Mill and later became the South Eastern Gas Showroom. Demolished in the 1960s.
Royal Mail sorting office. On the site of the 1880s post office
Woolworths. First self service Woolworths in the country.

Leg of Mutton Field
Sold for building in the 1890s by the Crawter family but acquired as open space by the local authority.

Plough Lane
Plough Pub. 16th building at the back with early 19th extensions at the front. Timber framed with brick infill
Wall letter box near Downside Road junction

River Hill
Red brick cottages built in the 18th once lined the road.
La Capanna. This used to be called the Old Cottage. 17th altered in 20th. It is timber framed with brick infill,
Old Bear Pub. 17th building with 19th additions. Timber framed with roughcast cladding.

Spencer Road
Former church rooms built by Leonard Martin. Girl Guide HQ and Montessori Nursery

Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge
Industrial Archaeology. Elmbridge area
Old Bear. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Web site
Plough. Web site
St. Andrew's. Web site
Taylor. A History of Cobham Park
Taylor. Book of Cobham
Taylor. Cobham. A History

Friday, 18 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Cobham Tilt

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows west, and then north, then loops back south west.

TQ 11888 59732

Posh suburbs and sort of countryside in posh area. Intersting mill and associated buildings very tarted up

Post to the west Cobham
Post to the south Downside

Brook Farm Road
Site of Brook Farm built in 1801 by Col. Edward Leatherland on land enclosed from Tilt Common. In 1807 it was bought by Sir Graham Moore, R.N., latterly Admiral of the White and brother to Sir John Moore of Corunna. It is said to have been bought with the prize-money of the Spanish treasure ships, the capture of which by Captain Moore gave an excuse for war in 1804. Sir John Moore is said to have planted an oak tree in the garden – now in the garden of a house in Oak Road. Demolished 1926.

Mill Road
Cobham Mill. Probably the site of one of the three mills listed in Domesday and rebuilt by Chertsey Abbey in the 1330s. In 1799 the mill was washed away in a flood. There are two buildings with undershot wheels and a footbridge. One building is brick and tile and has two cast iron wheels. Before 1951 there were two mills together here, but the older one was demolished  following damage by a war time Canadian tank and a need for road widening. The remaining one, which milled corn, dates from about 1820 and was then owned by Daniel Dallin and in 1871 by a Mrs. Datchelor. There were various other owners until Charles Harvey Coombe bought it in 1925 with an intention to demolish and in 1933 a part which jutted over the road was demolished and the mill it is now owned by the Cobham Mill Preservation Trust. The building is under severe risk of flooding.
Millwater Cottage used as a base for a local surveyor since the 18th
Skilton’s Yard used by surveyor and builder Uriah Collyer in the late 18th. Black sheds opposite the mill which have been in use as a builder’s yard into the early 21st.
Cedar House. 15th house with a Georgian front. This may have originally been a tannery and in 11th it was called ‘The Tan House’ - a local tanner provided animal hair for building work at Oatlands. It is timber framed, with a red brick front. A large stone traceried window from the 15th came from Yorkshire in the 1920's. The building was enlarged in the 17th -18th, but retained its original great hall with an oriel window and an open-timbered roof. It was recently a home for old ladies, but is now a hotel
Railings and gates of Cedar House. listed 17th ornamental ironwork railings. 50 feet long with stone coping and pineapple finials. Wrought iron gate with gilt monogram and spheres. Said to have come from Sheridan’s house in Eltham
Ham Manor. House of about 1740, with a brick elevation. Central door approached up a flight of 5 steps.
Old Mill House. A restored house, parts of which can be dated to the 16th and it may actually be older. It has an 18th front but it is timber framed with rendered cladding and some brick

Water wheel. installed 1884, to pump water from the Mole to the house. By Whitmore and Binyon of Wickham Market. It is on the edge of Park Wood

Tilt Green
The Green is common land which was used for May Day celebrations until 1902. It was also used for cricket, including to County standards by the Surrey side.
Cherry trees planted as a Second World War Memorial.

Tilt Road
1 Fire station. Built as a parish school in 1883 by the Vestry. It later became a parish room and then a soup kitchen. It became a fire station in the late 1890s. It had a Merryweather engine which had been donated by Charles Combe.
Wall letter box on the side of the fire station
3 Cobham almshouses
Running Mare. This pub is near Tilt Green where horse racing is said to have taken place. It is first mentioned in 1756 but may be older. It has been known as ‘The Running Mare’ since the late 18th,
Lion Cottage early 19th
39-41 early 19th
57 locally listed
83 Wall letter box outside
Cobham Cemetery land given by Charles Coombe in 1885

Woodend Park
Woodend was a house used by the local clergy from 14th

Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge
Taylor. Cobham
Surrey Industrial Archaeology,
Penguin Book of Surrey
Pevsner. Surrey

Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Downside

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole now turns north

Area  of mills on the Mole as part of the upmarket area of Cobham, Surrey

Post to the north Cobham Tilt
Post to the west Chilbrook
Post to the east Stoke D'Abernon
Post to the south Downside Bookham Road

Cobham Park Road
Downside Farm. On the site of the manor house of the Manor of Down. May have the remains of a moat on site. Also known as Downe Place or Downe House. In 1806 it was bought by Harvey Christian Coombe who actually lived at Painshill. He and his son dominated Cobham in the 19th. The house is late 18th red brick on a rendered plinth. Listed Grade II.
Cobham Lodge. Built 1803 for Col Joseph Hardy and designed by J.B.Papworth. Later the home of Caroline Molesworth who kept a record of all the local natural history.
Downside Mill. One of the three mills listed in Domesday. It was a medieval corn which was a paper mill at least by 1687 owned by a William Berrey and John Meers and which burnt down in 1733 when it was owned by a Richard Hinton. In 1770 it was bought by Alexander Raby, who was one of a Wealden iron family. He built two water powered machine shops, an iron foundry, a copper foundry and other buildings in the 1779s. In 1810 he moved the business to Llanelli. In 1814 his works at Downside was dismantled and it became a flock mill owned by Thomas Mellor. A wheel was installed in the late 19th to generate electricity for Cobham Park House when Charles Coombe, who owned the estate, bought it in 1866 and turned it into a saw mill and workshops for the estate - Later a turbine was installed to generate power. There is much slag lying around the area
Tinman's Row Cottages. Built by Raby for his workers 1804.

Down was the name of a medieval manor which seems to have been based within Cobham Park on the high ground. Dun or Dune is a word meaning a settlement on a low hill and usually one which pre-dates the Saxons.

St.Michael's Chapel. Church of England.
Water pump, 1858 erected by Harvey Coombe. Cast iron with a little acorn on top.

Taylor. Cobham
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge
Penguin Book of Surrey

Thames Tributary River Mole - Bookham Lodge

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows westwards

Posh Surrey area with woodland and posh farms. M25 goes through the area

Post to the north Stoke D'Abernon
Post to the east Slyfield
Post to the west Downside Bookham Road

Bookham Lodge. Yet another livery stable

Chasemore Wood,
ancient and semi natural woodland

Lady Chewton’s Wood


Muggeridge Wood

Spring Meadow Wood

Wrens Hill Wood

Bookham Lodge. Web site

Thames Tributary River Mole - Stoke D'Abernon

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole now flows north west

Post to the west Downside
Post to the east Cobham Road
Post to the south Bookham Lodge

Station Road
Cobham and Stoke d'Abernon Station. Opened 1885 and is now Between Effingham Junction and Oxshott on South Western Rail.

Stoke Road
‘Stoke’ itself may mean a stockaded manor – and ‘D’Abernon’ relates to a Norman landowner.
Lower Farm. This is now a livery stable. 16th house to rear with a 17th granary addition at the front and also a 19th wing. Timber framed with whitewashed brick cladding and red brick.
Parkside School. Another posh fee paying school – says it is a ‘prep’ school for young boys. This one was founded in 1879 at East Horsley, and moved here in 1979.
Manor House. This is now used by the ‘prep’ school above . Home of Josiah Wedgewood II in the late 18th. It is a Grade II listed, mid-18th Palladian villa which incorporates a Tudor timber framed house which was visited by Elizabeth. The medieval great hall was converted to the entrance area in the 18th and a new exterior to the house put in place. There were also later alterations by Aston Webb including a porch in 1911. Speculation of a roman building under the lawn because of grid like crop marks and the manor itself was originally Saxon. From the mid-1950s it was owned by Baldwin steel makers as a training college. It later became the Civil Service College for Administrative Grades, and was later owned by the Inner London Education Authority who were unable to use it.
Tithe Barn built around 1630, used as a gymnasium. 16th Red brick
Dairy - this is octagonal with Delft tiles
St. Mary’s. The only church beside the river Mole and the oldest church in Surrey. The oldest parts are Saxon walls built about A.D. 900 of flint, but with many tons of Roman bricks and other material worked into the fabric. There is a contemporary sundial outside, remade in 1933, and a blocked doorway 12 ft above the floor, is said to have given access to a refuge against Danish invaders. An avenue of chestnuts leads to the church, which was restored and extended in 1866. Inside is a medieval Fresco of Adoration of the Lamb and a brass of John D' Abernon 1277, which is the oldest in the country. There is a chantry chapel with a Tudor fire- place, built by Sir John Norbury in thanksgiving for his safe return from the Battle of Bosworth. A pillar by the altar is from Brighton Pavilion. The pulpit is 17th is probably from the Netherlands; but its ironwork is probably Wealden. There are many other important monuments and brasses
Training ground of Chelsea Football Club. Chelsea is in the Premiership League but the entrance to the training ground is suitably discreet and the uninitiated would hardly be aware of its existence.
Upper Farm

Monday, 14 February 2011

Thames Tributary Mole - Cobham Road

Thames Tributary Mole
The Mole flows south west and turns north west at the bridge

TQ 12853 58463

Posh school in posh area just off the M25

Post to the south Slyfield
Post to the east Woodlands Park
Post to the west Stoke D'Abernon

Cobham Road
Stoke D’Abernon Bridge
Parkside School. Another posh fee paying school. This one was founded in 1879 at East Horsley, and moved here in 1979. The Manor, is Grade II listed, mid-18th Palladian villa which incorporates a Tudor timber framed house.
Tithe Barn, used as a gymnasium. 16th Red brick

Woodlands Lane
Old Parks
Old Parks Copse
Little Park
Old Parks Cottage
Pine Trees

Parkside School. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey

Thames Tributary Mole - Slyfield

Thames Tributary Mole
The Mole flows south east and then turns north east

Post to the north Cobham Road
Post to the west Bookham Lodge
Post to the east Fetcham Splash

Cobham Road
Slyfield House. Slyfield dates probably to the 14th. In the 16th Edmund Slyfield was Sheriff of Surrey and in 1614 it was sold to George Shiers, the apothecary to James I who rebuilt it. Artisan brickwork from the 17th - Decorative with Italian influence but there are fragments of a larger house from 1625-40. This is a 17th house plus a late medieval timber framed building in a square courtyard house in the style of the most advanced City of London work although much of it was demolished 1743. The main building is considered to be one of the finest examples of Jacobean domestic architecture. Garden walls with original archways. It was here that Sir John Fenwick was arrested in the Cedar bedroom in 1659 to be executed on Tower Hill. He had been part of a plot to kill William III which failed but ironically it was the horse which had been confiscated from him which stumbled on the mole hill and led to William’s death. The house is said to have the ghost of a blue donkey.
Outbuilding. Range of farm building including stables, stores, etc. Probably early 19th weatherboard, and red brick
Slyfield Farm. Was the service wing of the main house? The detached building with flint work on the north wall is part of the original mansion turned into a farmhouse in 18th. Probably originally 15th and cased in brick in 17th, Built of hand-made brick with some flint cladding. Inside the north wing seems to have been servants quarters and probably once had an open gallery
The garden wall, attached to the north-west corner of the farm builind with square gate piers in the centre
Slyfield Mill. This was the site of a Doomsday Mill, and by 1614 there were two corn mills and a fulling mill. The last mill was built here in the late 18th and it closed in 1846 and was demolished. Traces of the watercourses remain. In 1969 some timbers which included the outer rim of a waterwheel were found.
Pillar Box. Opposite Slyfleld House is an example of the standard box of 1887 made by Andrew Handyside & Co. which gives the royal cipher and the words ‘Post Office’.
Yehudi Menuhin Music School. Internationally regarded music school on this site since the 1960s.
Sheepbell Farm. Probably late 17th and extended and altered. Built in hand-made red brick

Thames Tributary Mole - Woodlands Park

Thames Tributary Mole
The Mole continues to flow north and west – but also has a parallel channel which loops round to meet itself, forming a large island.

Post to the south Fetcham Splash
Post to the west Cobham Road
Post to the east The Rye

Heathfield Copse

Woodlands Lane
Woodlands Park Hotel. Late Victorian ‘Tudor’ designed by Roland Plumbe Red brick, with tile hanging and lots of half timbering and gables. Built by Frederick Bryant, a director of Bryant and May, match manufacturers. It is said to be one of only 11 houses in the country with electric light in the 1880s, having its own generator. The original farmhouse is also incorporated into the building. In 1897 it became the property of jeweller, W. Benson, and in 1911 Eustratio Ralli, who sold it after the Wall Street Crash of 1929. It became a hotel but in the Second World War, an old peoples home for Middlesex County Council and later an educational centre. It re-opened as a hotel in 1981.
Iron Age pottery found. There was occupation of some sort on the hill area throughout the Roman period. A flint paved, drained area found from 4th.
Woodlands Farm. Battlements and towers on farm buildings of 1886. They are alongside the road and red brick with a gateway and turret. Inside is a quadrangle of single storey farm buildings including a wooden dovecot
Woodlands Court Farm
East Lodge – no longer part of the hotel estate

Woodlands Road
Patsom House. Old Farmhouse 17th or earlier. Timber framed with brick. This was once called Patsoms Cottages..
Thames Water Woodlands Road Pumping Station
Brook Willow Farm. Late 14th, altered, enlarged and restored. Timber frame on rendered plinth, with modern brick. It was originally an open hall with a parlour bay at its east end. On the wall-plates are carpenter's marks of scratched Roman numerals.
Queen Elizabeth’s Training College for the Disabled. This was Leatherhead Court – This is the head office of the charity which works with brain injured and disabled people and works in a number of other buildings, some local.
West Orchard

Sunday, 13 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Fetcham Splash

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues to flow north and west towards the Thames and is joined by The Rye from the north east.

Post to the north Woodlands Park
Post to the west Slyfield
Post to the east Pachesham

Thames Water Leatherhead Sewage Treatment works Surrey County Council Tip with some related landfill

River Lane
Fetcham Splash. Area used by anglers
Old Mill Bridge
River Lane Open Space countryside area maintained by the local authority. It is the northern tip of the River Mole Corridor Local Nature Reserve. Fields are cut for hay each year
Fetcham Splash - Island in the river accessed from footbridges

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Thames Tributary. The Rye

Thames Tributary. The Rye
The Rye continues to flow south toward the River Mole

Post to the east Leatherhead
Post to the south Pachesham
Post to the west Woodlands Park

Oaklawn Road
Pylons. The line in this area was an experimental line built for the Central Electricity Research Laboratories.
Dorincourt. Ronsons. In 1918 Louis V Aronson patented the action for a cigarette lighter in the USA and made the first pocket lighter with the trade name 'Ronson'. J Liddiatt imported then and moved to Dorincourt. During World War II the company made incendiary bomb fuses, bomber gearbox parts, tension rods for aircraft and parts for guns here and built workshops in the grounds of Dorincourt. In 1952 they moved to Randalls Road, selling Dorincourt to Queen Elizabeth's Foundation for the Disabled.
Queen Elizabeth’s foundation. In 1932, Georgiana Buller, Chairman of the Central Council for the Care of Cripples, suggested a residential training college for disabled people. In 1933, the late Queen Mother, supported this and the training of disabled people for employment in either commerce. The College opened in 1934, as the ‘Cripples’ Training College’ but in 1941 Queen Elizabeth asked for the name to be changed to Queen Elizabeth’s Training College for the Disabled. Dorincourt provides specialist training for your people entering adulthood but also has a distinguished history in manufacturing specialist objects – particularly ceramics
Tyrwhitt house. Combat stress. Service related mental health issues centre

Rowhurst Avenue
Rowhurst Forge. This business was started in the 1930s, Rowhurst Forge was established after the Second World War. Richard Quinnell is a major player in the revival of the blacksmith's art and is a consultant on the ornamental metalwork. The company works mainly in iron but also steel, bronze, brass, stainless steel and aluminium.
Fire and Iron Gallery. In the outbuildings of a farmhouse built 1450. The gallery displays the work of artist blacksmith

Thames Tributary The Rye - Leatherhead

Thames Tributary The Rye
The Rye flows south west towards the River Mole

Post to the north Malden Rushett
Post to the west Oaklawn Road
Post to the east Lower Ashtead
Post to the south Leatherhead industrial rail side

Kingston Road
This was once called Bradmere Lane
B&Q. Previously car service station, air raid shelters in the banks behind
Golf Club House at the back of the current B & Q,
West Hill School. A Special school with science status

Oxshott Road
Woodbridge Brickworks. In the woods to the rear of the Tesco Store. This was a 19th brickfield and some flooded pits remain.

Once again this section would have been impossible without Peter Tarp lee’s ‘Industrial History of the Mole Valley.

Thames Tributary The Rye - Lower Ashtead

Thames Tributary The Rye
The Rye continues to flow south west towards the River

Post to the west Leatherhead
Post to the north Ashstead Common
Post to the south Lower Ashtead
Post to the east Ashtead

Barnett Wood Lane
216-218 said to be Brickfield Cottages built for the Church Road Brickworks,
Tall cast-iron sewer vent pipe one of an ornate series with spiral decoration and a decorated section below the slotted outlet at the top.
Woodman Public House
St.George’s Church designed by Blomfield and built in 1905 in simple brick
Barnet Wood Infant School
War memorial
Ashstead Baptist Church
built 1895

Church Road
Brickworks, G P Sparrow operated a brickworks here 1880-1909, when he sold the site for housing.
Hall built by George Baker 1905 as a cinema and in 1911 used as a roller skating rink.

Links Road
Tall cast-iron sewer vent pipe

Oakhill Road/Green Lane
Green Lane Brickworks. In 1896 J. L. P. Sanderson bought 30 acres and built kilns. He went bankrupt in 1898 but remained as manager to the new owner, M. N. Inman who made bricks here until 1912.

The Chase
The Floral Bungalow. Landscaped clay pit. In 1918 Weller's Rose Garden bought the site of the Green Lane brickworks, landscaped the clay pit and opened it as a swimming pool. This is called 'The Floral Pool' and continued until 1959. The flooded pit remains in the garden, behind a brick wall on the roadside.

Woodfield Close
The Rosary Leather Works, known locally as 'The Skin Factory', was owned by Swabey & Saunders. The works operated between 1911 and 1922 and had its own gas-making plant,

This section has been very dependent on Peter Tarplee’s ‘Industrial History of the Mole Valley District’ – without which I would know nothing!

Friday, 11 February 2011

Thames Tributary – The Rye - Ashtead

Thames Tributary – The Rye
The Rye continues to flow south west towards the River Mole.

A pleasant area of scrub, fields and woodland to the east of Epsom, with considerable Roman remains.

Post to the north The Forest
Post to the west Malden Rushett
Post to the east Ashstead
Post to the south Lower Ashstead

Ashstead Common
Ashstead Common is an extension of Epsom Common. During the Second World War, areas of the Common were cleared as agricultural land. This is a heavy clay soil and was not really viable arable land and farming there soon ceased,
Ashtead Common National Nature Reserve, managed by the City of London Corporation.
The Rye was straightened during the Second World War to drain the surrounding land for agriculture. The spoil was left on the banks. The stream continues to follow this straight channelled course but in 2005 the Corporation, began to remodel the stream. This has led to a reinstatement of the meanders to create a natural setting and a wetland habitat.
Roman villa. excavated in 1925-8. It appears to have had 13 rooms, one circular, with central heating and a bath house. It dated from the 3rd . It might have been the manager’s house for the brick and tile works, or could be later.
Roman brick and tile works – a number of tiles have been found here, some unfinished, and it is thus supposed to have been the site of a tile factory. It was two miles from Roman Stane Street and connected to it by a road.
Brick making - spoil heaps found are thought to be from a 17th brick works which produced the bricks for the walls of Ashtead Park.
Pylons. This is part of the 1931 secondary 33kV transmission system of the Central Electricity Board from Epsom via Leatherhead, Dorking and Reigate back to Epsom. The original installation comprised steel-cored aluminium conductors supported on lattice steel towers.

Archaeology Data Service. Web site
Penguin, Surrey
Surrey History.
Surrey County Council. Web site

Thames Tributory The Rye - Ashtead

Thames Tributary.  The Rye
The Rye continues to flow south west providing the boundary to the built up area and Ashstead Common

An area of 1930s housing with a large expanse of common land, scrub and woodland to the north

Post to the west Ashtead Common
Post to the south Ashtead

Pillar Box. The box here was an Edward VIII B box made by the Carron Company, in 1936, most of which have been replaced.

Industrial Archaelogy of Surrey
Surrey History

Thursday, 10 February 2011

Thames Tributary- The Rye - Epsom Common

Thames Tributary- The Rye
The Rye flows south and then turns abruptly west on its way to the River Mole.

Castle Road
54 tower and battlements. A folly built round some cottages

Dorking Road
This becomes Epsom Road at the local authority boundary

Epsom Common
Coal Post on the down side embankment of the railway where it crosses The Rye. A stone coal dues obelisk, about 14ft high with the City's coat of arms on the front. This is of the type placed beside railways under an act of 1851 which defined the area of taxation as that within 20 miles of the General Post Office. The post may have been moved here from another site when the area was matched to that of the Metropolitan Police District in 1861.

Epsom Road
This becomes Dorking Road at the boundary
Coal Post. On the north side of Dorking Road, a few yards towards Epsom from Craddocks Avenue, south east of the centre of Epsom Wells Estate. At the point at which the road names change.

The Greenway
Wells Estate. The Greenway was built by 1932 but the estate was mainly built after the Second World War
Woodlands Road
Older houses than the Wells Estate and the Rye Stream lie between the road and the common with attractive wooden bridges.

Thames Tributary The Rye - Ashstead Park

Thames Tributary The Rye
The Rye rises in this area and flows south towards the River Mole

Upmarket area with posh houses in country lanes around Ashtead Park. Lots of open space. Modest 1950s estate to the north west.
Ashstead Park
Ashstead Park. Fine trees, mentioned by Evelyn. The house is in the southern part of the park and is now a school. The Park was set up before 1640 and walled after 1680 by Sir Robert Howard. At the same time ponds were excavated, and a Mount built. The park was enlarged again in the late 18th and deer were kept. In the 1920s the estate was broken up ad sold in lots. The wilder northern part of the park is now managed by Surrey Wildlife Trust.
The Mount. This is now a posh housing area in Rookery Hill, but the original artificial hill survives to the north
Island Pond Wildlife Pond. 2 ½ acre pond neglected for 50 years and now upgraded by a local angling club. Silt removed, along with fallen trees and branches, banks which were leaking repaired and fishing platforms installed.
The Cottage in the Park, brick house with late19th extension.

Epsom Road
North Lodge - wrought iron gates to Ashtead Park. Dated 1882

Farm Lane
The Rye stream runs to the east and parallel with Farm Lane. Park Farm House. Burnt down pre 1730 and rebuilt in red handmade brick. There is a large modern conservatory and a single-storey dairy now part of the house. Garden wall with gate piers with pineapple finials, and wrought-iron gate
Wrought iron gates still stand at the entrance drives to Ashtead Park. The earlier ones at each end of Rookery Hill date from about 1800.
Sewer vent pipe, cast iron
City of London Coal Duties Post. Beside a footpath between Headley Road and Farm Lane.
Ashstead House. Large house, but not the really big Ashstead House in the park. This is now divided into three. Early 18th with a nucleus of 17th or earlier. Built of Handmade red brick. large 19th flat-roofed addition said to have been a ballroom. Former service wing.
Lodge to Ashstead Park.
The Pines, this house was at one time a garden centre attached to the farm
An icehouse. 18th century with a stepped entrance and a 10ft diameter dome. This was in the grounds of Ashtead House close to a large pond, into which it drained.
Pond – which is presumably the source of the Rye
Headley Road
Chalk Pit
City of London Coal Duties Post. West of the road beside the footpath by the stables

Park Lane
Entrance gates to Ashtead Park. These earlier ones date from about 1800.

Pleasure Pit Road
City of London Coal Duties Post. On the east side of Pleasure Pit Road just before its junction with Headley Road.
Ashstead Park Garden Centre
Rookery Hill
Road Bridge. This bridge carries Rookery Hill through Ashtead Park. It dates from c1880 and is made of Portland stone with cast iron beams and brackets. Underneath is an electricity distribution substation.

Coal posts. Web site
Hazelfoot. Industrial Archaeology of South East England
London Transport Country walks 2,
Penguin surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Surrey. History