Thames Tributary River Mole - Pachesham
The Mole flows west in this section
The Rye stream flows south west towards the River Mole.
Post to the west Fetcham Splash
Post to the south Fetcham
Post to the north The Rye
Post to the east Leatherhead industrial railside
PIRA Printing Industry Research Association, previously Printing and Packaging Research Assoc. Laboratories. Patra house was built 1963. The organisation dates from 1929 and was in London until the Second World War when they set up a packaging section. In 1948 PATRA moved its offices and laboratories here and in 1967 PATRA become the Paper and Board Printing Industries Research Association and new paper and board laboratories were built in 1971
Prewitts Farm, taken over by Unigate
Called Kelvin because of the electrical functions undertaken there.
CERL. The Central Electricity Board, as the National Grid, had a laboratory at Croydon and During the Second World War this moved to a hut next to the grid substation here. A new building was erected in 1947-8 and the research widened. In 1958 the formation of the Central Electricity Generating Board led to an increase in research and the new CERL building was opened in 1961 with 750 staff. A new high voltage testing laboratory was built in 1962. On privatisation, National Power, transferred research to Swindon.
Pylons. From the high voltage laboratory a test line extended to Oaklawn Road via Dorincourt. At Randall's Road there was a linesmen's training school. The foundations and stubs of these towers remained.
The Mounts. This is the site of a moated manor house, Pachenesham Magna, usually called The Mounts. It was probably built in 1290-91 by Sir Eustace de la Hache, and the village of Pachesham is in Domesday. It became derelict in 1350 or earlier. It was excavated in 1949 which revealed the moat: foundations of the Hall, part of the Chapel, a well lined with flint masonry and other structures, number of small objects were found, but no coins. Pachesham (in various spellings) is the oldest place name in the area and means ‘Paeccin’s homestead’. In the 13th it was a local judicial centre. Its lords tended to be royal servants and favourites. Hache probably built the manor house and improved the farm land. In the late 14th an absentee landlord leased the property to someone who pulled it all down and defaulted on the rent. By then Leatherhead had become the main centre and the village faded away,
Pachesham farm – this is Pachesham Equestrian Centre, s a competition centre and livery yard with an outdoor floodlit .Roman Tiles and Coins were found in a field here in 1859.
Randall’s was Little Pachescham and a sub manor and estate. It was held by a man called Randolf and his name transferred to it.
Randall’s Park. Big house held by a series of gentry from the Tudor period. Originally a small manor (Little Pachesham) and house from 13th century or earlier. The house was rebuilt in 1839. It became a country mansion set in parkland with many trees –and had a flower garden, walled kitchen garden and gardener’s cottages, stable block, ice house, and gas holder. In 1932 it was bought by Wimbledon Borough Council for a cemetery - protests from Leatherhead went as far as the House of Lords. Randalls Park House remained for a number of years in the grounds of Randalls Park crematorium, However it was demolished because of young people and various goings on. The walls of the kitchen garden survive, enclosing a garden of remembrance.
Randall’s Park Crematorium, added to the cemetery in 1961.
Ice house. Probably early 19th with an unusual dog leg passage
Pachenesham Cathedral – chapel built in the grounds of Randall’s Park in the 1850s for the use of the railway navvies.
Gutters Bridge crossing the Rye stream
Randall’s Park Farm. Local authority children’s centre here