Posts

Showing posts from September, 2018

Old Oak Common Lane

Post to the west Acton Main Line Acton Wells Acton Wells was on the site of, and to the west of Wells House Road – the sire is now intersected by the West London Line. This was three mineral springs discovered in the 17th. The water is said to have been white, sweet and bitter and was also bottled and sold in London. It became very fashionable in the 18th with people coming to stay and assembly rooms and some pubs were built. There was also a race course. By 1795 they were no longer popular and the assembly rooms were ruined. Brassie Avenue Along with many other road names in the area it relates to the golf course previously on the site on which the estate was built. Called the “Golf Links” estate it is on the site of the Acton Golf Club, which was here from 1909 to 1919. Acton Golf Club . The club was founded in 1896 and laid out on land belonging to the King-Church family.  The clubhouse was "Glendun" a 17th mansion standing in what was then a village. The view wou

Earlsfield

Post to the west Earlsfield Post to the east Wandsworth Common Post to the north Wandsworth Earlsfield Road 310 Conservative Club in the 1950s 320 United Reform Church converted to flats. This was originally a Congregational church and Sunday school. 95a St.James District church. In 1938 St James' Church, Earlsfield Road was transferred from the parish of St Andrew to the parish of St Anne. After the Second World War the church was converted into a hall and was used as a centre for parish work. It appears to have been demolished and here is now housing on the site. Fieldview Fieldview Estate . A garden suburb was planned here by the landowners Magdalen College Oxford, but building ended because of the Great War. In the 1930s Wandsworth Borough Council bought this area between Fieldview and Ellerton Road for the Fieldview Estate Sports Grounds. Wandsworth Council provided playing fields between the Fieldview and Openview estates. They were seen as a recreation facilit

Earls Court

Post to the west Barons Court Post to the south Walham Green - Fulham Barkston Gardens Site of the Earl’s Court Manor house , which stood on the site of the present western terrace of the road.  It was not demolished until 1886. In the 1790s it was the home of anatomist and surgeon, John Hunter when he kept animals for ‘observation and experiment’, including buffalo and eagles chained to rocks. From 1832 it was a Private Asylum for Young Ladies Gardens . These were laid out formally and simply and originally were owned by the Gunter Estate. They were maintained and financed from of enclosure rates. Residents bought out the freehold in 1993. The gardens have a central feature with planting set into the lawn and wide gravel paths. The gardens are protected under the 1851 Garden Square Act. 1 PM Trust Hostel for young catering workers in the 1980s. A pier of the back-garden gate of Earls Court House survives to the rear. Bolton Gardens Before the Great War this was called Wether

Ealing Common

Pott to thr west Ealing Broadway Bloomsbury Close Built on a site which was tennis courts. Daniel Road Ealing Lawn Tennis Club . In 1906 the Club moved here from St. Leonards Road bringing the clubhouse with it. It cost £540 to prepare the new site due to the need to level the ground, cut down trees and turf it.  A new clubhouse was built in 1926, and extended in 1929. They then had twenty courts. In 1964, Ealing Common Lawn Tennis Club, adjacent, closed down and the Ealing club gained 4 more grass courts. The club got ownership of its land in 1987 and investment began in 1988 with 3 asphalt courts and an air dome to enclose them. In 2008 a new clubhouse was opened, Ealing Common This is 47 acres of common land as designated by the 1866 Metropolitan Commons Act. Previously in the early 19th the manorial rights had been transferred from the Bishops of London to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. They had overseen the clearing of scrub, planted trees and drained the ponds. It

Ealing Broadway

Post to the east Ealing Commom Arden Road This was once called Denmark Road. Bakers Lane This road is now covered by the Broadway Centre 8 Ealing National Spiritualist Church . Now demolished 10 Foresters Inn . This was also called the Foresters Arms. Opened in 1861 and now demolished. Bond Street This road was built in early 1900s to provide a link from the centre to Ealing Green. 14-16 YMCA. This is what was previously called St George’s Hall. Fa├žade with carved foundation and memorial stones by Eric Gill. As a YMCA it included a 300-person hall, a large gym, classrooms, library, reading and games rooms. Currently under demolition. 18-22 Walpole Theatre. This originally opened in 1908 as the Walpole Hall Roller Skating Rink designed by Alfred Burr. It was converted into the Walpole Picture Theatre in 1912 by J. Stanley Beard including a new facade faced in ceramic tiles. It was initially an independent cinema but was taken over by Odeon Theatres in 1936. It was clos