Showing posts from November, 2017

Little Chalfont

Post to the north Latimer Burtons Way Loudhams Farm. There is a record that in 1256 land here was granted to Ranulf de Ludham which may be the origins of the name. In the 18th it is sometimes recorded as Lowdums. In 1820 Lord George Henry Cavendish bought it and it remains in the family. The land is divided between arable and grass with slightly more arable. Barn.  This is an 18th timber framed  barn on a brick plinth with weatherboarding. There is a pigeon loft on the east side. Loudhams Cottages. These were built for farm workers and were demolished in 1967 to be replaced by the Village Green. Chenies Avenue Old House Farm . Originally this was called Hill Farm.  In 1842 it was acquired by the Duke of Bedford and his marks are on the buildings. It appears to have been used as labourer’s  cottages. Cokes Lane Village Hall Library . This was closed by Buckingham County Council in 2007 and has been volunteer run since. Dr. Challoner’s High School . Girls Grammar. The sc

Caterham Valley

Caterham Bypass The road was constructed in 1939 and in the Second World War had two different coloured grits as camouflage. In 1970 it became a dual carriageway almost as far as Godstone.  For building it a temporary railway was used with a diesel locomotive. It is supposed to be haunted. Church Walk Church Walk is the name of a small shopping centre in Station Avenue. It runs alongside a road of the same name, Drinking fountain , this was donated by local resident Charles Asprey in 1890. It originally stood in Station Avenue. It was removed to White Knobs Sports Ground in 1933 and is now in Church Walk. He was also one of the first directors of the Caterham and Kenley Gas Company hence originally there was a gas lamp on the top of the fountain. Woollett Nursery .  This was at the back of the hotel and dated to at least the 1870s. Clareville Road St. John the Evangelist . This was built in 1881 of Bargate stone and designed by W.Bassett Smith.  The tower was added in 1892.  T

Cuckoo Estate Hanwell

Post to the south Hanwell Post to the west Greenwich Elthorne Heights Post to the north Perivale Bordars Road St Christopher’s Church . The church began in a tent in 1937, when the Cuckoo Estate was built. Then a 'temporary' building, which lasted over sixty years was used and finally replaced in 2003, when North Hanwell YMCA was also built as part of the re-development Brent Valley Golf Club Golf Club . This is accessed by an apparently unnamed lane off Cuckoo Lane (in the square to the south)  This opened in 1910. The Council turned the area surrounding the golf course, which is still open to the public, into the Brent Valley Park in the 1930s. The club was founded in 1909 by Albert Toley . The course was designed by J.H.Taylor in the early 1900s. It reopened as a new public course was opened in 1938. The Clubhouse is believed to gave been The Grove, a local manor house, renamed Dublin house. In 1966 this was demolished by the council and the present one built and t

Carshalton Beeches

Post to the north  Carshalton Banstead Road Barrow Hedges Farm. This stood on the east side of the road.  It is said to have been named from three ancient burial mounds on the north side of Oaks Park.  This was strip-farmed common land.  The farm may have later become a seedsman or market garden, since they regularly won prizes for their sweet peas. Railway Bridge . This carries the ex-London Brighton and South Coast Railway from West Croydon to Sutton. Carshalton Beeches Baptist Free Church Beeches Avenue Was once Beechnut Tree Road 40 Little Holland House . This was, built by self-taught craftsman, F.Dickenson, in to his own design in 1902. It shows the impact of the Arts and Crafts movement. Dickinson designed and built the house and made all the fittings and furnishings. He also worked in metal with hammered copper panels and Art Nouveau door fittings. The house and contents remained in the family until 1972, when it was bought and restored by the London Borough of Su

Carpenders Park and South Oxhey

Post to the south South Oxhey Ainsdale Road St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School . The school was built to serve the London County Council estate and must date from around 1960, earlier than the church it relates to. Bridlington Road The Ox, This was The Pheasant, and Wetherspoons.  It is now a free house Library . Refurbished and extended 2008-0 Car park – this was originally allotments. Carpenders Park Estate This is the area to the east of the railway line. It was the second area owned by the early 19th  Chartist Land Co. Before 1935 it was private parkland and farmland.  It was developed for housing pre-war by St.Meryl Estates and post war by Kebbell Development Ltd. The main part of the estate lies in the square to the east. Delta Gain Kebbell House . This was the headquarters of Kebbell Homes founded in 1953 by Thomas Kebbell, and now run by his son. Kebbell Homes first project was the completion of the housing development at Carpenders Park. The premises app

Camden Town

This is the north east corner only of this square Post to the north (south east corner of its square)  Camden Market Post to the north (north east corner of its square)  Kentish Town West Post to the north (north west corner of its square  Camden Railway Goods Yard Post to the east Camden Town and Somers Town Albert Street Street with brick and stucco terraces on both sides, 1844-8, built by the surveyor George Bassett. Gentrified from the 1960s 124-126 Offices built in the 1970s by Richard Sheppard Robson & Partners and now in use as a Conference Centre. 126 Esso Petroleum Co., Ltd (Specialty Department) . This had an address of 126. It dealt with a number of medical and related products like vitamin packs as well as pest killers, and garden products. Tthis building has a frontage on Parkway.. 128 Fitness First. This is the same building as 49-55 Parkway. This part is said to have housed the Albert Optical Works . It was later a warehouse for wine merchants, Belloni