Post to the north Carshalton
Barrow Hedges Farm. This stood on the east side of the road. It is said to have been named from three ancient burial mounds on the north side of Oaks Park. This was strip-farmed common land. The farm may have later become a seedsman or market garden, since they regularly won prizes for their sweet peas.
Railway Bridge. This carries the ex-London Brighton and South Coast Railway from West Croydon to Sutton.
Carshalton Beeches Baptist Free Church
Was once Beechnut Tree Road
40 Little Holland House. This was, built by self-taught craftsman, F.Dickenson, in to his own design in 1902. It shows the impact of the Arts and Crafts movement. Dickinson designed and built the house and made all the fittings and furnishings. He also worked in metal with hammered copper panels and Art Nouveau door fittings. The house and contents remained in the family until 1972, when it was bought and restored by the London Borough of Sutton
A bridle path runs from here to Park Close. It appears to pass a ‘Mount’ once standing in open park land.
Stanley Park Recreation Ground. The main entrance to this park is in Woodfield Road in the square to the east. It is an open rectangle of land bordered by trees particularly. It appears to have been laid out on common fields to the south of Carshalton Park. In the Second World War slit trenches were dug here as shelter for children in the Stanley Park School.
Carshalton Beeches Station. This lies between Wallington and Sutton Stations. The Southern Railway through this area opened in 1847 It was not at first a proper station but a halt called Beeches served by steam rail-motors only. It and remained temporary until after the Great War when development took off locally. The line between London and Sutton was electrified in 1025 and the halt was rebuilt with a road bridge and became a station called Carshalton Beeches. In 2010 the foyer was changed for a larger ticket office and electronic barriers.
Barrow Hedges Primary School. This school opened in 1955 as a two-form entry school. It now has three forms of entry, 22 classrooms, a Learning Hub, two halls, a wildlife and pond area plus extensive grounds with a large playing field.
Stanley Road Allotments, Carshalton Lavender. Until the late 19th the area was famous for its lavender. In 1996, the Local Lavender Scheme was established here by BioRegional to restore the lavender industry. Three acres were planted from cuttings from local gardens believed to be lavender from the original fields and were grown through a project within HMP Downview. In 2001 the Heritage Harvester was created from scrap by an engineering team from Cranfield University. The annual harvest has grown in popularity, and the crop has flourished in 2009 they purchased a still.
Queen Mary's Avenue
Good Shepherd. Built 1930 by Martin Travers & T. F. W. Grant in stock brick with a Spanish Mission gable. In 1890 an iron church was built in Stanley Road, and in 1900 by a larger iron building replaced it in Stanley Park Road. In 1928 the current site was bought and the church was built. In 1965 it became a Parish in its own right. It has since been extended.
Stanley Park Road
The road is on the edge of Carshalton on the Hill,
Stanley Park Infants School. A small school is shown on maps here in 1913. It was later extended into the current buildings and became Stanley Park County Primary School, and is now an infant’s school
Stanley Park Junior School. This appears to have begun as Stanley Park Road Central School in 1931. There was some bomb damage in the Second World War including a direct rocket hit and children were evacuated to Lancashire. In 1957 it seems to have been known as Stanley Park County Secondary School. The school later appears to have moved to the site of Wallington County Grammar School for girls to the east and to have been known as Stanley Park High School. The original site is now Stanley Park Primary School.
Carshalton War Memorial Hospital. After the Great War an appeal was launched to raise funds to build a hospital to replace the existing cottage hospital as War Memorial to the local men who had died serving in the war. The new Carshalton, Beddington and Wallington District War Memorial Hospital opened in 1924. In 1928 the Hospital had 30 beds; there was a maternity ward, an operating theatre, an Emergency Ward, a Casualty Ward, an X-ray room, three Sun Rooms, offices, a kitchen wing, and nurses' accommodation. It was extended in 1930. In the Second World War it joined the Emergency Medical Service and in 1948 joined the NHS. By the end of the 1990s the Hospital was mainly used for patients requiring long-term care and respite care. It closed in 2005. After this the buildings remained vacant and were sold to developers in 2008.
Ashcombe Court opened in 2009 at the southern part of the Hospital site. This is flats for residents with learning disabilities. It is on the site of Ashcombe house, the nurses home do the hospital
Barrow Hedges. The house and grounds were on the west side of the road
Barrow Hedges Primary School. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Hidden London. Web site
Honeywood Museum. Web site
London Borough of Sutton. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Stanley Park High School. Web site
The Kingston Zodiac