Posts

Showing posts from November, 2012

Silk Stream - Colindale

Silk Stream The Silk Stream flows east and south TQ21449024 Industrial and trading area around the old airfield, with its Museum and other public facilities Post to the west Colindale Post to the south West Hendon Aerodrome Road An extension of Colindale Avenue. Built by German prisoners of war during the Great War to serve aircraft hangars for Grahame-White Aviation.  From 1909 it was a showcase for flying, In 1914 the Grahame White factory was requisitioned as a Royal Naval Air School  and an AAP and operated as a defensive airfield until 1916. Many storage sheds were built and in 1925 it became a Royal Airforce Fighter Station until 1949. Since 1963 it as been the RAF Museum. Many original structures remain.  Sheds were established by the London Aerodrome Co. along the southern boundary of the airfield in 1910 and erected by Smith & Co. of Stratford. By 1911 it was owned by Claude Grahame-White.    The sheds continued to be used by a number of small flying schools – T

Silk Stream - Colindale

Silk Stream The Silk Stream flows south eastwards TQ 20548 89781 Busy area along the Edgeware Road including many historic aircraft manufacturing sites Post to the north Burnt Oak Post to the east Colindale Annesley Road By 1920 AIRCO had premises here Capitol Way The road is made up of trading units and superstores. The area was previously covered by factories Aspar Pharmaceuticals Carlisle Road Carlisle Road was built in the 1930s on land used for industry since before the Great War, when it was the northern boundary of the area used by AIRCO. 1 Peerless and Ericsson . This company made coffee grinders, potato peeling machines, dough kneaders, sausage fillers etc. They became part of Baker Perkins in the 1930s but appear to have been here from the late 1920s... 11a Nigel Fredericks , Butchery business which began elsewhere in the 1890s. 15a Café de Carriage – café designed as a green double decker bus 20 Bosch . The company made grinders here in the 1960s 20

Silk Stream - Burnt Oak

Silk stream The silk stream flows south east and is joined by a tributary from the north east TQ 20330 90739 Busy urban area adjacent to the A5.  There are shops and pubs and churches - as well as converted cinemas and a street market Post to the north Watling Estate Post to the south Colindale Barnfield Road Salvation Army Church . The church was built in 1934. Burnt Oak Broadway Mecca Bingo . This was the Savoy Cinema built in 1936 for A. Glassman. The auditorium runs parallel to the Broadway and the entrance block has classical stone dressings surrounding a large window divided by stone pillars. Inside there is a stepped ceiling by George Coles who designed it in an Art Deco style. There were 2,000 seats and the Christie organ was secondhand - from the Rosevale Cinema, Glasgow. London Co-operative Society Store.   It eventually became an Essoldo in 1961 but closed the same year and succumbed to bingo - the first to operate in London. 104 Bald Faced Stag , half-timbere

Burnt Oak Brook - Watling Estate

Burnt Oak Brook The Brook flows southwards Post to the west Edgeware Post to the north Upper Hale Post to the east Mill Hill Post to the south Burnt Oak Abbots Road Menorah Grammar School . Independent Jewish secondary school established in 1978.   This is in the buildings of what was Orange Hill Central Schools. Orange Hill Central Sschools opened in 1932 with a two-storey front range with stone surrounds to windows and a stone gateway. It became a grammar school in 1948 and from 1965 boys only. It became Orange Hill Senior High School in the early 1970s as a mixed comprehensive and then merged with Moat Mount School as Mill Hill County High School to the north of Mill Hill Village. Cressingham Road Watling Clinic Deans Lane Footpath and entrance gate . This is roughly at the point at which the Finsbury Park/Edgware line crossed the road. Until c.1996 the trackbed to the west of Deans Lane was known as the 'Mill Hill Old Railway Nature Reserve' and it was pos

Burnt Oak Brook. Mill Hill

Burnt Oak Brook The brook flows south west Post to the north Mill Hill Post to the west Watling Estate Blundell Road The road followed the northern boundary of Hendon Aerodrome Bunns Lane Bridge under Watford Way.   Bunns Lane passes under the A2/A41 and on its southern side is another arch which took the defunct Mill Hill/ Edgware railway and later the, also defunct, motorway slip from the M1.   On the east side of the bridge a staircase ascends to Watford Way Bridge under M1 120 Churchill House . Former government building built 1958 which has housed both the Inland Revenue and been a Job Centre. Single storey Lyndhurst House built 1952 adjoins. A s hort section of formation of the ex railway is visible through the trees at the back – and the line would have passed under the Midland Main Line at this point. The clearing used for parking is on the north side of what would have been the trackbed. Bunns Lane Bridge . This was the bridge which crossed the Edgware/Mill Hil