Showing posts from June, 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - Kennington

Thames Tributary Effra The Effra flowed into this area from the south and then turned westwards towards the Thames Post to the west Vauxhall Post to the east Camberwell Road Post to the south Brixton and Stockwell Post to the north Kennington Newington Butts Brixton Road The river flowed down the road and then turned to the area which is now the Oval, on south side. The road originally crossed the river at Hazard’s Bridge, which is marked on a plan of 1636. The Effra here divided the manors of Kennington and Vauxhall. 1 –3 London Cab Co General Motor Cab Co. Built by the General Cab Company 1905. The Company was formed in 1907 and 1,500 taxis operated from here. This building was offices and three-storey garages for 2,000 vehicles in a yellow and red brick and terracotta. It included a Museum with a collection of restored taxicabs. A cooperative undertook repair with facilities for cab owner-drivers. “Kennington Park” on the gable was originally ‘General Motor Cab Co.Ltd.’ in

Thames Tributary Effra - Brixton/Stockwell

Thames Tributary Effra The Effra continues to flow north through this area. TQ 31690 76704 Area north of Brixton Centre and much the same inner city mix but without the big shops. Big houses converted to various projects, lively music venues and pubs, schools, social support organisations together with parks and gardens. Post to the north Kennington Post to the east Camberwell Post to the south Brixton Post to the west Stockwel l Akerman Road 56 home of Dan Leno 1860-1904 whose real name was George Galvin. Plaque erected 1962. Cary Grant later lived in the same house. Camberwell Submarine . Concrete structure in the middle of the road. Boiler rooms for heating local housing. Brixton Road Linking Kennington and Brixton on the line of the Effra. Effra –the stream here was said to be 12 ft wide and 6 ft deep. It ran through the front gardens on the west side of road and each was linked to the road by a bridge. In the Second World War a bomb at the corner of Angell Road un

Thames Tributary Effra - Brixton

Thames Tributary Effra The Effra flows northwards through this area TQ 31072 75387 Central Brixton which is about as inner city as you can get.  Big shops, lively markets, pubs, cinemas, music venues and interesting local authority housing schemes Post to the north Brixton and Stockwell Post to the east Denmark Hill Post to the south Brockwell Park Astoria Walk Brixton Academy in the Odeon Astoria Cinema., currently the O2 Academy, is a leading music venue which has hosted a range of leading acts since 1983. The maximum capacity is 4,921. The original cinema was built on the site of a garden and opened by E. A. Stone in 1929. It has a half-domed entrance, Mediterranean interior and a proscenium in the shape of the Rialto Bridge. Designed by Ewan Barr and T.P.Someford, who worked on the Temperance Billiard Halls. The opening publicity called it ‘an acre of seats in a garden of dreams’. A Crompton Organ was installed in a Maclean design. This was a 13-rank organ with two conso

Thames Tributary Effra - South Brixton

Thames Tributary Effra Tributaries from the area flow, or are said to have flowed, to meet the main stream of the Effra flowing northwards Post to the east Brockwell Park Post to the west Clapham Park Arodene Road Built in the same design style of Josephine Avenue. Raleigh Park Blenheim Gardens This was known as Cornwall Gardens until 1936 Windmill. The nearest surviving windmill to the centre of London. It was built in 1816 for Ashby and Sons, Millers, and remained in their ownership throughout its working life. It is a tower mill built of 18 in. thick brickwork coated with tar and probably made with old ship's timbers. It is 39 ft. high topped with a boat-shaped wooden cap 9 ft. high. It was driven entirely by wind until 1862 when the Ashby family moved their business to Mitcham, the Brixton neighbourhood had become built up and the mill was no longer efficient. The sails were removed and it was used for storage. In 1902 a steam and later a gas engine were installed a

Thames Tributary Effra - Brockwell Park

Thames Tributary Effra Various tributaries to the Effra meet in this area and flow northwards. The precise channel of the river is unclear but tributaries rejoin north of Brockwell Park, TQ 30971 74626 Brockwell Park provides an interesting and varied open space, plus its lido, as the roads climb up out of busy Brixton. There are residential roads all around, churches, and schools. Post to the west Brixton Post to the east Herne Hill Post to the south Tulse Hill Post to the north Brixton Arlingford Road 1   Artist's walled garden at rear of house. 2 Old Stables behind in Arlingford Mews Brixton Water Lane One of the lanes of medieval Brixton. The Effra was joined here by a tributary from the pond in Brockwell Park and they run in a sewer 40 feet below the road, 46-48 Listed, as are the forecourt walls 55-56 Houses built by John Blades in 1815 along Brixton Water Lane for estate staff Listed. 60-64 Listed, as are the forecourt walls Brockwell Park (Northern

Thames Tributary Effra - Tulse Hill

Thames Tributary Effra Some of the streams which make up the Effra flow northwards Post to the north Brockwell Park Post to the east West Dulwich Post to the south Knight's Hill Abbots Park Fenstanton Primary School . Name after a large house which stood on the site. It was built in 1873 for a City solicitor St.Martin’s Community Centre Brockwell Park (southern half only) Up to 1537, the area was owned by St. Thomas' Hospital, and then passed through several owners. In 1807 the area of the park was bought by John Blades, a glass merchant. It was developed by Blackburn in the1880s and to create a new public park 78 acres of the estate was bought by London County Council and laid by Lt. Col. J. J. Sexby. The park was opened in 1892. In 1898 a further 43 acres were bought and by 1923 all houses had been demolished. Brockwell Hall built 1811 for John Blades to replace an original 16th building near Norwood Road. Restored in 1994. Grade II* listed designed by D.R Roper.

Thames Tributary Effra - Knight's Hill

Thames Tributary Effra Tributaries to the Effra flow northwards through the area. Post to the west Leigham Court Post to the north Tulse Hill Post to the south Knights Hill Post to the east West Dulwich Canterbury Grove Development area laid out from 1810 Chestnut Road 5 The Clock House . Detached Victorian house and home. Copper roof over a large glassed area including a clock museum. seems not to be there now Chatsworth Way Named this because Paxton worked at Chatsworth before building the Crystal Palace V2 on the evening of 26 September 1944 scoring a direct hit on the church and causing two deaths and 51 injuries. Christchurch Road 138 Methodist Church . Modern church which replaces Roupell Park Methodist Church which was a Gothic church built .1879-80 by Charles Bell in Kentish rag. Knights Hill Mrs Fawcett’s Fountain . She was a local temperance campaigner Tunnel for the London, Brighton and South Coast railway. Built in 1866 and part of scheme for Dulwich