Thames Tributary Effra
Streams and springs flowing north feed the Effra
Post to the west Streatham
Post to the north Knight's Hill
Post to the east Norwood
Post to the south Norbury Grove
Congregational Chapel. Used by Knights Hill Residents' Association. A stucco front with pediment, paired Ionic columns, and lower wings. Restored in 19799 Bricklayers Arms. This was the Brewery tap for the brewery, which was next door.
Norwood Brewery. Owned by Richard Bennet and listed from 1850. In 1874 it was owned by George Wadley & Sons and in 1879 Frederick William Brooke and Charles Conrad Grey Duberley – with a registered trademark of Hercules with a club later trading as Brook Brothers. In 1888 it was bought by Flower and Sons of Stratford on Avon. In 1919 it was taken over by Hoare and Co, and eventually Bass Charrington.
The bed of a tributary could still be seen in the 20th at the back of the tennis courts at the bottom of the road. It is likely to have belonged to a tributary of the main river.
30 32 possibly by George and Peto, c. 1885
British Home for Caring for People with Severe Disability was previously known as the Royal Hospital for Incurables. Designed in 1894 by Cawston. There were additions in 1913 by E. T. Hall. Chapel in red brick lancet style,
John Wesley Primary School. In 1860 a Methodist day school was opened in a loft over a stable at the corner of Chapel Road and Woodcote Place. In the following year a permanent building was erected at the rear of West Norwood Methodist Church. In 1951 the school it was leased to the London County Council. Stock brick building.
Recorded as ‘Knyghtes Hill’ in 1545 so called from the family of Thomas Knyght.
74-76 Rosebery Auction Rooms. On the site of the Royal Cinema. It began as Norwood Picture Palace. Petrol station had earlier been on the site.
59 Kwik Fit107 Big Yellow Storage210 was used as part of Kings College Hospital
212-214 series of houses on the site of Norwood Common - The area was awarded under the Inclosure Award of 1810 to Mary Nesbit. These houses were probably built before 1839.
Knight’s Hall Price Direct.also used as a community venue.
Norwood Public Hall opened 1885 and now in industrial use,
Crown Point – at the top of the hill where the road meets Beulah Hill. Studio of Ninian Comper church architect and stained glass maker
Electrical sub station on the site of Knights Hill Square and the police station.
Knights Hill playing fieldKnight's Hill wood in the grounds of what was Portobello House. The driveway to the house circled round an area which remained undeveloped and has since become a wood and eventually a nature reserve. Some trees – including a Weymouth Pine date from planting for the house.
Cedar House flats on the site of Portobello House. The Portobello Estate was built in 1951 on 16 acres of the estate
Bus depot. Corner of Rothschild Street. On the site of demolished Rosemary Branch pub and Methodist chapel. Originally opened in 1909 by London General Omnibus Company rebuilt 1981. Now used by Arriva,
West Norwood Methodist Church, 1852-3. Norman front in ragstone Extended in 1894 by F. R. N. Haswell
Norwood Technical College. Built on the site of Almshouses from 1851 by the Trustees of the Society of Friends of Foreigners in Distress which were demolished when Rothschild Street was built in 1898. Some of the land was leased to Arthur Anderson, owner of P&O Shipping, who built Norwood Institute in the 1890s. This was also called Lower Norwood Working Men’s club and this became Norwood Technical Institute, and was a school of domestic economy and commerce. In 1904 it passed to the London County Council Education Committee and in 1948 was changed to Norwood Technical College. It was a ragstone three-storey building with a battlemented tower. The site was later used for South London College extensions were built in 1969-74, by architect John Bennett, for I.L.E.A. in red brick with uneven window bands. Demolished and cleared in 2000.
Horse trough corner of Chapel Road,
Holderness Estate. Architects Howes and Jackman, built 1953. Called after a local big house.
Rose and Crown. The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster in the marriage of Henry VI and Elizabeth of York. Owned by Ned O'Neale prize fighter. At Crown Point.
Turnpike was at the end near the church
Leigham Court Road
The part of the road near Streatham Common was known as St Julian's Road until 1902.
St.Peter 1870. St.Peter’s church. The parish was created from St Leonard's for the expanding Victorian population. It was built on land given by George Drew, the local landowner who lived at Leigham Court. He also built Leigham Court Road and sold or redeveloped the remainder of the estate. Local wealthy families wanted a church in the tradition of the Oxford Movement. A temporary ‘tin’ church was first built and the new church was consecrated in 1870. It is a tall polychrome brick church by Richard Drew, a nephew of Butterfield, and George Drew’s son. There have been subsequent alterations and rebuildings. Listed Grade II*.
Built on the site of a Huguenot chapel
Streatham Common North
Park Hill, later St.Michael's Convent. Became an old peoples’ home and since been converted to flats. This was sugar magnate Henry Tate's house. There was once a small farm at the end of the garden and a two storey octagonal folly gate to the house with a Gothic door. In 1953 it was full of farm animals with a sunken path with a Gothic arch over it, there were Japanese walls in the garden and one of the Streatham wells in the grounds. Ruins made of Pulhamite.
St. Julian's Farm Road
Stench pipe with name of J.Stone & Co. Deptford. c1899
4, 6 are by George and Peto, 1882-3
Gabriel House.London and Quadrant HQ. Large 19th house 'The Arnold and Jane Gabriel Home'. Built 1911 as part of the Jewish Orphanage