Showing posts from September, 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Aldersbrook

Thames Tributary River Roding The Roding continues to flow south east towards the Thames. It is joined by the Cranbrook from the north west The Aldersbrook flows parallel to the Roding on its west side The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Ilford runs north eastwards from Manor Park Station and onwards. The boundary between Ilford and East Ham follows the Aldersbrook west of the Roding. This suggests that it may originally have been part of the main stream. Aldersbrook  The name means 'brook where alders grow". An earlier name for the farm here was ‘Naked hall.  The area is dominated by the large cemetery owned by the City Corporation which lies west of the Roding, and the North Circular and north of the Great Eastern Railway Post to the north Cranbrook Post to the south Little Ilford Post to the east Great Ilford Aldersbrook Road City of London Cemetery . Founded by Corporation of London and laid out in 1853 by William Haywood, surveyor to the Commis

Thames Tributary Cranbrook - Valentines

Thames Tributary Cranbrook The Cranbrook flows south west through Valentine’s Park Post to the west Cranbrook Post to the east Seven Kings Post to the south Great Ilford Post to the north Gants Hill Bethell Avenue A scheme of seventy houses by H. C. Lander for the Town Planning and Garden Co. c. 1910, with larger than average individual dwellings Bethell, like Holcombe was a tar manufacturer – and for a while they used the same site in Greenwich Cranbrook Road Was called Cranbrook Lane and ran from the village north, past Valentines to Woodford. 245-247 Wycliffe House . Offices in church building which was for a while Ilford Playhouse. Built in 1907, by P W Dixon of Manchester in Art Nouveau Gothic with Red brick and yellow terracotta. It was originally called Christ Church Congregational, Church which had opened in an iron building in 1895. In 1906 it was joined by the members of Wycliffe Congregational church, Stepney, which had opened in 1642 and in 1907 the united c

Thames Tributary Cranbrook - Seven Kings

Thames Tributary Cranbrook The Cranbrook flows south westwards to the Roding The Great Eastern Railway runs north eastwards from Liverpool Street to Shenfield, from Ilford Station Post to the north Newbury Park Post to the west Valentines Post to the east Seven Kings Post to the south Ilford Aden Road A street name taken from a British Empire source – as indeed are the group of surrounding streets. Balfour Road Balfour Road Mosque . This is in a Victorian House with a l arge new extension at the rear. Benton Road Bridge over the line of the railway which once ran from Newbury Park to Ilford Stations. St Aiden’s RC Primary School . It was opened as a Primary School in 1965 and there have been additions including a nursery and the Lindisfarne building in 2005 – an ‘eco friendly’ building with a hall and classrooms. The building was originally the Benton County School for delicate and physically handicapped children opened in 1929 Christchurch Road Christchurch Pr

Thames Tributary Cranbrook - Newbury Park

Thames Tributary Cranbrook The Cranbrook flows south west towards the Roding in a partly culverted course between houses. Post to the north Barkingside Post to the south Seven Kings Post to the west Gants Hill Abbey Road 53 Viridian Care Home . As Hearth and Home Limited, founded by Joan Bartlett, opened their first home in 1945 for people bombed out in the Blitz .Its name changed to Servite Houses in 1974. Since then he organisation has grown and in 2010 became Viridian Housing. Ilford Emergency Hospital was opened in 1912 with twenty beds. In 1915, it became an approved military hospital affiliated with Colchester Military Hospital. When the Becontree estate was built the LCC thought that authorities other than them should provide hospitals and the only health facilities for acute care were here. In 1926 the War Memorial Children's Wing was added and resident House Officers were appointed sit her was a doctor on the premises. There were continuing attempts to fund raise

Thames Tributary – Cranbrook - Barkingside

Thames Tributary – Cranbrook The Cranbrook rises in this area and flows south towards the river Roding. Barkingside is a suburban area north of Newbury Park and Eastern Avenue.  It has a modest town centre and much between-the-wars housing.  It is notable however for having been home to the headquarters of the Barnardo organisation. Although the site here no longer functions as a children's home much of the housing and facilities remain. Barkingside also has sports grounds, churches and the usual facilities.  It also has an amazingly grand railway station - this originated as a Great Eastern Railway Company building, taken over in the 1930s to become part of the Underground's Central Line - its grandeur said to be in order to impress important visitors to Barnardos Post to the south Newbury Park Post to the north Fulwell Cross Barkingside The name means a hill or a slope and is first recorded in 1538. So it was on the hill side of Hainault Forest and on the corner of F

Thames Tributary River Roding - Cranbrook

Thames Tributary River Roding The Roding continues to flow south east. A tributary stream from the Redbridge area parallels and eventually joins it TQ 42941 87152 Suburban area of Ilford Post to the west Wanstead Park Post to the south Aldersbrook Post to the east Valentines Cranbrook Cranbrook was a manor named from the Cran Brook, which joins the Roding south of this section. The estate was split in 1760 and the northern section called Highlands. In 1897 the remaining 215 acres in the Cranbook area was sold to a builder, W P Griggs & Co Ltd, and the Cranbrook estate was developed from 1897 by William Griggs’ son, Sir Peter Griggs who went on to become the local MP. William Griggs had been a self made man rising from a humble background in inner east London through the lighterage business. De Vere Gardens Cranbrook House was on a site covered by this road. 29 Home of Otto Leibermann and where he synthesised dolomite in the kitchen. He was a distinguished German chemi

Thames Tributary River Roding - Wanstead Park

Thames Tributary River Roding The Roding flows south east in a canalised section Post to the north Redbridge roundabout Post to the east Cranbrook Post to the west Wanstead - Golf course and basin Post to the south Wanstead Flats and Aldersbrook Empress Avenue Wanstead Isolation Hospital . This was built by the Wanstead Local Board of Health in 1893. It came under the Wanstead Urban District Council until 1934, when Wanstead amalgamated with Woodford UDC and became part of the Waltham Joint Hospital Board. It closed in 1936. The buildings bombed the Second World War. Allotments on the site of the demolished hospital Ingatestone Road Aldersbrook Primary School . This was built in 1908 designed by C.H. Brassey, Lodge house to the school Margaretting Road 11 house which may have been converted from stable block, or outhouse. Northumberland Avenue The road, surrounding roads and the area to the south are part of the Aldersbrook estate built in the immediate pre-First World W

Thames Tributary River Roding - Redbridge roundabout

Thames Tributary River Roding The Roding continues to flow south    Post to the north Wanstead Post to the south Wanstead Park Post to the West Wanstead and Snaresbrook   Eastern Avenue Laura Close A footpath to Nutter Lane runs alongside the road Leicester Road Originally a bridle path leading through the Wanstead estate Nutter Lane This is one of the oldest local roads having previously been a through route called ‘George Lane’ or Wanstead Lane - thus it begins at the George Pub in Wanstead. The name was changed in 1934 when Eastern Avenue was built. It is named after a family called "Nutter” - two sisters who were daughters of a City cheese merchant and lived locally. Roding Farm . This farm stood in the area now covered by allotments and the fields stretched to the River Roding 57-63 Chepstow Cottages. Built in 1892, and also called Roding Cottages Buttercup Field Nutter Lane Recreation Ground – owned by London Borough of Redbridge Drummond Lawn Tenn