Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Cray - Tributary to Darent and Thames. Barnes Cray

Thames Tributary
The Cray flows north and slightly east towards the Darent and the Thames. It is joined by the Wansunt Stream
TQ 52267 75044

Industrial area on the edge of the North Kent marshes, crossed by Thames Road and the North Kent Railway line heading into Dartford. There is housing from an early 20th century work place housing project and the remains of some important industries, gradually being taken over by modern housing. There is also a small theatre set up in the 1950 to bring culture to the area.

Post to the south Maiden Lane and the Stanham River
Post to the east The Cray meets the Darent
Post to the north Slade Green

Barnes Cray Road
Crayford Cottages Society, garden city style for the Vickers workers. 1914
Barnes Cray cottages. Associated with the mill
Barnes Cray House – waterside properties on the site of the house. Demolished in the 1930s. Had been a nursing home. Later owned by Vickers, hospital then sold for building.
Calico printing works taking water from the Wansunt. Later made rubber goods, then felt and then carpets.

Beech Walk
Geoffrey Whitworth Theatre. 1959, red brick, with a fine, intimate interior. Geoffrey Whitworth founded the British Drama League, and was a strong advocate of the 'little theatre'. Raked auditorium, proscenium stage, rehearsal rooms, foyers and studio. Established originally 1952. 1999 extended with mosaics by Oliver Budd. A red brick box with no road access and big security fence round it
Houses built as part of Barnes Cray

Crayford Way
Retaining wall along the Cray against swallow holes, etc.
Behind the Co-op 1915. Roman urn found,
Co-op building was planned as a Village Hall,

Crayford Creek
Cray - at this point the river becomes tidal and is called Crayford Creek.
Canalised 1840. Barge turning bay on the south bank. Terminates in two barge docks. Head of the tidal creek fed from the millpond at the end of the freshwater section of the Cray. Bank width 9.3 m. The Creek dug out for Mr. Stoneham in 1845
Bakers Mill pond. Is fed by the River Cray, and although now much smaller, can still be seen - a sluice falling about ten feet controls its flow. It also takes water from the Wansunt. The sluice may itself by the remains of an earlier mill. Bakers were a saw mill.
Giant Hogweed has become established. This huge plant can grow up to 3.5m tall, with 10cm diameter stems, and was introduced as a garden plant from the Caucasus. It is very invasive and can rapidly become the dominant plant in an area. In addition the combination of its juice and sunlight can cause severe blisters. Other plants here include purple loosestrife, common mallow, bristly tongue and ivy leaved, wall and field speedwells. Mudflats are exposed at low tide and small invertebrates are food for birds - Herons feed here and short-eared owls hunt.
Barge Works & brick works on the west bank. Malters & Co. bricks also built barges from 188l, two slipways.
West Kent sewer flows into the Creek.

Iron Mill Lane
Brick kiln site. - Firms included Rutters, Norris, Furner. Crayford Potteries Co.
Crayford Sand & Gravel Pits, Talbot Estates Sand and Gravel Pits,

Subsidence and dene holes

Mount Nod
Name of the hillside between Iron Mill Lane and the Cray. Possible site of old temple, on hillside overlooking the river
Battle of Crayford. C456 the Anglo-Saxons were led by Hengest and defeated the Britons led by Vortimer. The Britons were driven out of Kent which was then ruled by Hengist and his son Aesc.

Railway viaducts. The brick viaducts crossing Thames Road and running behind Crayford Flour Mill site are part of the North Kent Line, and were built by the South Eastern Railway to replace timber structures in 1863

Thames Road
Railway viaduct over Crayford Creek, 1849. Carries North Kent Line over the canalised creek. Embankment from the north. 2 km long. The centre of the viaduct is supported on the island formed by the building of the barge dock in 1840.
Optima Park. Was British Telecom site
Crayford Flour Mill. Part of the Sawmills site. Vitbe Mills from 1927 but used to be an iron mill - making armour. The iron mill had been set up in the 13th – it is a. Domesday and Elizabethan mill site. There were two mills sited where the Cray becomes tidal. John Kent in 1763. Iron was milled there until the 19th but it was also a battery mill for cloth fulling, iron slitting and copper, flour and saw milling. The white mill building was a landmark in the 1950s but it has not produced Vitbe flour since 1962 although the Vitbe Bread sign was still there in the 1980s. At that time there were still barges at the wharf stacked with drums, and commercial traffic had not completely ceased - Grain barges were still coming from Tilbury Grain Terminal 1980s. Partly demolished 2004 and 2009. Millstone set into the modern brick wall fronting Thames Road from the sawmills site.
Dussek, Bros. Factory. Gone. The front office on Thames Road was like a semi bungalow with a clock on top. The factory chimney with -its lettering 'Dussek Bros' was there until the 1980s. The processing plant was to the rear with refining oil, solvents and preservatives. They made Putty, tiling cement, varnish and printing ink. Became part of Burmah Castrol. On site of Rutter’s brick yard.
Rutter’s Brickworks. Sent bricks to London in barges built on the local creek. D. & C.Rutter 1866-1918. Crayford Potteries 1922 to World War II.
Rutters Barge Yard. Used barge dock built for the export of bricks to London from their brick works.
Braby. On PO site and from 1839 had been in the in Euston Road and then Surrey Canal. Made Steel sheets, etc., closed 1970s
Jolly Farmers. Pub, originally 1830 rebuilt 1851, classical style with massive stone quoins.
Mallinsons Saw Mill. Where Buckingham Palace floor was cut. The Factory at the Sawmills made laminated wood and domestic products Mallod Ware. Production ceased in 1970. Now site of Crayford Industrial Estate.
Stoneham Clay Pit. Worked by J Eastwood 1828-1832 and then J.Stoneham 1839-1907. Then landfill site after World War II. Grassed over 1965.
V2 attack 15 February 1945 on open ground by railway. 18 injured. 7.05am
Abattoir remains.

Venner Farm estate:
Vickers Maxim gun works.

The stream has come down from the area once known as Wansunt pit through Crayford and running between the Cray and the Stanham rivers.

Barr-Hamilton and Reilly. From Country to Suburb
Bygone Kent
Carr. A Spot that is Called Crayford

Geoffrey Whitworth Theatre. Web site
Goldsmiths. South East London Industrial Archaeology
Hamilton . The Industries of  Crayford
Kent Underground  Research. Newsletter

London Borough of Bexley. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  West Kent
Port of London magazine
Spurgeon. Discover Erith and Crayford

Shuttle & Cray - Tributary to Darent. Crayford

Cray Tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Cray continues to flow north east. Under the Rochester Way it is joined by the river Shuttle.
TQ 5087974701

Central Crayford with industrial sites along the Cray and the amazing Hall Place

Post to the west Bexley
Post to the east Crayford
Post to the south Coldblow

Bourne Road
Bourne Road Garage. Decorative cast iron lamp posts are from a cinema previous on the site. They date from 1919 and were made by workers at Barrow. Both lamps are missing, and one has the upper part of the post missing Toilets. The earth collapsed under them and they have been filled with concrete
Edward VII wall letter-box
Red brick wall, partly 18th, from Bexley House, an 18th mansion demolished c1980.
Crest House on the site of Bexley House. Pastiche c1982 of a Georgian mansion, though not a replica of its predecessor. Facade to the industrial building behind. Bexley House, demolished

Bourne Industrial Park
Calico Textile bleaching and printing in England first started in the London area from 1670. This was mainly in respect of calico and silk, and a location by a clear river like the Cray was important. The industry here was founded in the 17th by a lord of the manor, who also had extensive works done to the River and its tributaries to make them suitable. In the 18th fabric printing was introduced and there was a steady growth from then on, Textile printing factories were established here in the 18th. In 1775 a calico printer leased 100 acres here and built a factory. Work here was done by Charles Collins in 1807 for printing textiles and paper. It was later taken over by Augustus Applegath, was then Messrs. David Evans & Co.
Augustus Applegarth acquired the works in 1826. He concentrated on silk and pioneered new techniques in paper as well as in textile printing. His works both sides of Bourne Road. He also used fields nearby and at Barnes Cray for bleaching, and had a warehouse and finishing shop at The Saw Mills. His warehouse and finishing shop at the sawmills to export via Crayford Creek.
David Evans works. Evans was one the leading silk printers in Europe and the sole survivor of the old London textile industry. The works was originally at the junction of Bourne Road and London Road beside the river. In 1843 the business was acquired by David Evans, a City merchant and in 1936 the firm moved their buildings to an area nearer the Cray. The old site is now covered by the Bourne Industrial Park and by Beech Haven Court. The firm eventually became David Evans, Vanners & Co Ltd, a leading quality silk printers Europe, with over half its production being exported to North America. They were closed and gone in 2001.
Long shed. Fronts London Road. Relic of 18th silk factory... Once 18th farm buildings but then an integral part of the David Evans factory. Pantiled roof
Madder Shop, probably c1840, with a pantiled roof. This was part of the old works plus an old piece of machinery, which was a Gum Mixer.
Engines - 2 beam engines there. The Applegarth Beam engines went to the Dartford Museum, the other one to Crossness.

River Cray. There is a pleasant, ornamental, stretch of water at the entrance to the site; this is part of a channel of the river, and was formerly lined by washing machines used for washing silk after dyeing.

Grazeley Close,
Steel houses 1948

Halcot Avenue,
Steel houses 1948

Hall Place
Hall Place Estate. Bexley Urban District Council and the GLC bought the Hall Place Estate as part of the Green Belt, 62 acres were cost £25,000 in 1935 and in 1938, 40 acres of the neighbouring Halcot Estate tor £20,410.
Hall Place. The present mansion replaced an earlier 'hall house' once the home of a family called ‘ate halle’. The northern half of the house, was built around 1540 by Sir John Champneis, former Lord Mayor of London. It may have been moated. The south side of red brick was added approximately a century later by the Austen family. The house was later owned by the Dashwood family, of the infamous Hell Fire Club, and it was let to a boys' school. From 1917 until 1935 it was the residence of the Countess of Limerick. It was purchased by Bexley Council and converted into a public park and used as the headquarters of the Libraries and Museums Department, and the Local Studies Centre. It is marked as 'Hall Place' on maps since the 18th.  The house is chequered grey and white in front, plus a red brick 16th house and additions of 1534. The colours establish the two periods of construction.  It is said that stone from Lesnes Abbey was used to build it and medieval carved fragments are incorporated in the walls. On the south side of the 16th house is a back court which was built in the middle of the 17th. In 1556, the front was adapted to make it as nearly symmetrical as possible. .
Gardens. There is a well of 1649.  Topiary garden ‘like an exhibition of modern sculpture gone vegetable’ with abstract cones and concentric discs near the house, and a regiment of the Queen's Beasts, planted to commemorate the coronation in 1953, marches across the lawn. There are 80 acres of parkland with yew walks and early 18th wrought-iron gates. There is an emphasis on spring and summer bedding, and a variety of smaller themed gardens. There is Elizabethan-style rose garden and double herbaceous borders. There is a herb garden with labels in Braille, rock and heather gardens, a wildlife sanctuary and a working nursery. There are with nest sites on ledges and old walls
Jacobean Barn 
Stable Block 
The Cray enters the site at the edge of the gardens.
Water Mill site. Built on the Cray in 1779 and demolished in 1922. The site is marked by a sluice and weir in the gardens. In 1803 a Crayford calico printers, Thomas Gilling, expanded his production capacity by adapting the old corn-mill at Hall Place in Bexley for printing textiles. Weather boarded building. Run as a corn mill by the Cannon family and then it was used for flags and silk production. When it was pulled down some beams were sent to America.

London Road,
This is a modern road built in 1840. The Roman road joins it
Crayford Gas Works. Opened in 1852, and acquired by the West Kent Gas Company in 1865, becoming known as the Nettlebed Bottom Works. The production works closed in 1912, and the site became a holder station. The brown column guided holder is 1932, and the green spirally guided holder is 1955. West Kent Gas Company established c1862, with gas works at West Street, Erith. The Crystal Palace & District Gas Company was formed in 1853, and became the South Suburban Gas Company in 1904; it took over the West Kent Company in 1912, and closed the Erith works c1914.
Lord Nelson. Over each of two doors sunk into brickwork - coloured are Toby 10" plaques. Converted to a restaurant
Dene Hole near Elm Loop
Shenstone Park. Area of undulating parkland, with fine views to south. It was formerly the grounds of the house called Shenstone built c1828 for Augustus Applegarth, and occupied and enlarged by David Evans in the 1840s, remaining in the family ownership at least until 1935. It was demolished c1974, and Shenstone School is now on the site.
Martins Wood. Between Dover Road and Old Road – the site of Munns calico grounds
Bigs Hill Wood continues the pattern of Shenstone Park.
Gibbet Wood. where highwaymen were hanged
South View – works of A.Richardson, stained glass
Feakes Bros.joinery

Rochester Road
Ribbon growth along the arterial road

Watling Street
Stoneyhurst where Maxim lived
Siddley Autocars. 1907 1910
Talbot Estates –took over Parish’s loam pit
St.John the Baptist. Door and hinges, sundial, stained glass and plate, monuments.


SourcesArchaeology Data Services. Web site
Arthur Pewty’s Maggot Sandwich. Web site.
Baldwin. The River and the Downs
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Bygone Kent 
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Kent Rail. Web site
London Borough of Bexley. Web site
London Encyclopaedia

Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. South London 
Pevsner. West Kent
Pritchard. History of Erith
Reilly Country to suburb 
South East London Industrial Archaeology
Spurgeon. Discover Erith and Crayford

St. John the Baptist. Web site

Shuttle - Tributary to Cray and Darent. Bexley

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle continues to flow eastwards to join the Cray under the M2.
TQ 49529 74626

Post to the east Hall Place
Post to the south Bexley
Post to the west Upton

1930s housing around the A2 road and the interchange at the Black Prince - in fact the area locally is generally known as 'The Black Prince'. To the north of the A2/M2 housing is often built with generous open space on downland grass, to the south older housing slopes towards Bexley Village and the Cray.

Bexley Road

Broomfield Road
South side developed in the 1890s.
1 Warren Wood
25 with tile-hung upper floors, and looking sedate amidst the later development around.
The Warren. A large grassed area is backed by a tree-lined ridge, on which a grassed plateau overlooks dense woodland descending steeply to the A2. The name has its origins in the 16th when rabbits were kept for sale there. The farmhouse -was used as a hospital for Hall Place School in 1845 despite being known locally as the "Pest House,” after a carrier died of plague there in 1665 following a trip to London. Warren Farmhouse was demolished in 1937 and its former site is now an open mown area bordered by long grass and shrub, whilst most of the hillside is covered by oak and elm woodland. Birds find nesting sites in the woodland.

Gravel Hill
The road to Erith was Bourne Street
Meredith and Drew Bakery. Formerly Vickers Aircraft factory. Biscuit maker employing 200. Closed after Second World War.

Hartford Road
Development in the 1920s.
Bexley and Erith Technical High School
Shuttle. On the riverbank are alder, crack willow, black poplar - all trees which prefer damp soil. On the north bank is oak dominated woodland with sycamore and silver birch.

Rochester Way
A2 Opened round Bexley in 1971 spring. Built by Kent County Council.  Development around was spurred on by the opening of the Rochester Way
V2 62 injured. 27th November 1945

Southwold Road
Black Prince Roadhouse and pub. Now a Holiday Inn. Supposed to be named that because the Black Prince bedded Fair Maid of Kent in Hall Place. Development was spurred on by the building of this mock-Tudor road house on the site of Bourne Place.
Bourne Place a small mansion house

Baldwin. The river and the marsh
Bexley and Erith Technical High School. Web site
Bexley Council. Shuttle Riverway
Black Prince. Web site
Bygone Kent,
Carr. A spot that is called Crayford
Kent County Council. History
London Borough of Bexley. Web site
Shaw. The Bexleyheath Phenomenon,
Spurgeon. Discover Bexley and Sidcup
Tester. Bexley Village

Shuttle - tributory to Cray and Darent. Upton

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle continues to flow towards the Cray,east and north

Post to the south Brigden
Post to the east Bexley

Arcadian Avenue
A crescent of mock-Tudor houses, mainly semi-detached, 1930s. The original design for the pairs included a shared gabled and projecting frontispiece with half-timbering above an open porch, and ground floor oriel windows on either side.

Arcadian Close
Brigden Gasworks. Private gasworks 1840-1870s. Supply to Brigden Place. No remains.

Lewin Road
The first houses in were built on the west side in c1852.
9/15 round-headed windows reaching down to near ground level

Lion Road

Love Lane

Mount Road
Royal Oak or Polly Cleanstairs. Old-established pub, Weather boarded appearance probably built 1863. There was a building on the site by 1800, and it has been a pub since c1827.
Bexleyheath Golf Club

Riverdale Road

Robin Hood Lane
An old lane, which retains considerable atmosphere as it winds steeply down from Lion Road to Upton Road.

Townley Road
Townley Grammar School for Girls. This is ex Bexleyheath Girls Technical School. Performing arts block, science and indoor sports. Austere 1930s school building. Underground labyrinth for natural summer cooling. Studio E Architects.

Mediaeval hamlet
Burial mounds. Mounds have been discovered which date from the Bronze Age.
Neolithic axes

Upton Road

Shuttle - Tributory to Cray and Darent. Bridgen

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle continues to flow east towards the Cray
TQ 47690 74263

Suburban area with woodland and parks and some older buildings among the endless inter war housing.

Post to the west Blendon
Post to the north Upton
Post to the east Bexley
Post to the south North Cray

Arbuthnot Lane
Bridgen Place. demolished when this road was built. Built by William Cope in the 18th and later the home of Edward Cokayne Frith. Arbuthnot was a later owner.

Bexley Woods
This tract of coppiced hornbeam trees is extensive. And the woods ascend gradually eastwards. .
River Shuttle. Pebble deposits occur in the centre of the river bed, and these are called "Channel Bars.”

Bexley Park
Tanyard Farm. West of Bexley Park Wood. Farmed by the Watkins family. The Shuttle ran in front of the house.
‘Bexley Park Wood’ is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876. The name probably comes from the enclosed deer park. And the home in Bexley of Henry Castelayn, the keeper of the Archbishops' parks, warrens and chases in the 15th,

Blendon Road
Blendon Hall Estate, purchased for development by D C Bowyer, late 1930s.
Three Blackbirds pub

Bridgen Road
Bridgen was a medieval hamlet owned by Kendall of the Wax Chandlers Company. A Charity was set up with income from properties in this area. Bridgen Place was the first estate t9 be sold in the 1930s for development of semi-detached houses in Arbuthnot Lane.
1/11 Two groups of cottages 1820s.
13, a small but tall detached house, dated 1827.
Blue Anchor – had been the Anchor and Cable from 1681. Demolished and rebuilt in 1938 because the brewery wanted a bigger building.
Kenneth Noye lived there.

Davenport Road
V2 in a field -injured 26. This was the 160th rocket to land on English soil,

Hurst Road
Victorian houses which were homes of wealthy businessmen. One of these was the Chairman of the Chatham and South Eastern Railway Company which had built the Dartford Loop Line.
Glenhurst Estate 1938. The gates come from large Victorian Villas. The Estate was developed on a large field on the south side of the road, part of Oxford University's Bexley Estate, separated from its Upper College Farm by the Railway.
189 The Lodge
Holy Trinity Church Hall3 Universal House
Congregational (now United Reformed) Church at the junction 1890

Parkhill Road
Developments in the 1930s
Marl House. Weather-boarded with wooden fence. Demolished for replacement in 1891. The new house was for Hargreaves Rogers, Sheriff of the City of London and a leading player in Bexley affairs. Itself demolished in 1962 to make way/or a housing development
Victorian pillar box
Gad Bridge

Parkhurst Estate
Villas for the well to do, mature trees in long rear gardens. Interesting chimney stacks and dormers.

Rail line
The Dartford Loop descends from Sidcup in a cutting as it descends to near sea level.

Riverdale Road
Shuttle Riverway. Grassed on both sides. Rapidly flowing sections of the river are called "Riffles,” and deeper, more tranquil sections called "Pools.” Towards the down-stream end the river is cutting into the bank in a number of places, exposing sediments which may date from the Ice Age.

Bexley Council. Shuttle Riverway,
Bexley guide,
Hamilton-Barr and Reilly. Country to Suburb

Spurgeon. Discover Bexley and Sidcup

Shuttle - tributory to Cray and Darent. Blendon

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle continues to flow generally eastwards towards the Cray.
TQ 47788 73232

Suburban roads with 1930s housing around older country houses. Direst Bexley

Post to the west Lamorbey
Post to the east Brigden
Post to the south Albany Park

The Avenue,
A footway down the centre, flanked by an avenue of lime trees, used to lead to Blendon Hall.

Balindon Road
23a The Bailiffs House. between 23 & 25. the section with barge boarded porch was the original house built c1855 for the Blendon Estate;

Cottage Field Close
Terraced houses like Old Forge Way but built 1977-8. upper floors tile-hung, weather boarded or half-timbered, the ground floors are red brick.

Hurst Road
The old hamlet was called Hurst, and recorded in 1690 and on the Ordnance Survey map of 1805. from Old English for a 'wooded hill'.
Hurst Place Community Centre. Classical villa, front part c1770, with earlier cellars. Additions c1860 of a porch, and a rear extension. bought by Bexley Borough Council in 1946 and used as a community centre from 1955.
189 The Lodge, entrance to Lamorbey Park is c1860 but altered jettied half-timbered upper floor with gables and bargeboards.
Montrose Club. once known as Abbeyhill. stuccoed building c1830, with later extensions. From 1862 to 1904 it was the vicarage for Lamorbey Chapel and then Holy Trinity Church.

Montrose Park Estate
Built by New Ideal Homesteads in the 1930s.

Penhill Road
Penhill Bridge. built 1917
Shuttle. water voles can be seen here - either swimming or feeding on water plants. evidence of their presence can be seen in the form of the closely-cropped feeding areas and their burrows
Penhill Park. Sports grounds

Riverside Walk
Shuttle. Non-native trees occur in this section including invasive sycamore, and American red oak, horse chestnut and walnut found at the eastern end of the walk.

Bexley Council. Shuttle Riverway,
Bexley guide,
Hamilton-Barr and Reilly. Country to Suburb
Hurst Place. Web site
Spurgeon. Discover Bexley and Sidcup

Shuttle- tributory to Cray and Darent. Lamorbey

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle runs south east

Post to the west Halfway Street
Post to the east Blendon

Burnt Oak Lane
Lamorbey. Recorded as Lamborbey c.1762, but Lamb Abbey in 1805, and Lamorbey in 1876. It is a manorial name for an estate and house originally built in the early 16th and belonging to the family of Thomas Lamendby alias Sparrowe in 1513. There may have been a settlement here in the 11th. Thomas, also called Sparrow, died in 1513 and a brass to his memory is in St. Mary's Church, Bexley. Until the end of the 19th, the hamlet was known as Halfway Street and Lamorbey applied only to the mansion.
Lamorbey House. A large mansion, used by the Rose Bruford School of Speech & Drama, and by Lamorbey Adult Education Centre. It is owned by the London Borough of Bexley. It stands in the middle of Lamorbey Park, with the south front towards the lake. The original house here dated from 1515 but was rebuilt c.1744-8 for William Steele, of the East India Company, and altered in 1784 by Dr David Orme, West Indian trader, later by John Shaw, Sen. 1812 -1910 it belonged to the Malcolm family, West Indian traders, and some additions were made by them. In 1910 it became a hotel and part of the estate was leased to Sidcup Golf Club and some sold to New Ideal Homesteads. There was a V2 attack on 27 November 1944 when 6 were injured. In 1946 it was bought by the Kent Education Committee, and four schools were eventually opened here. The remains of the 18th building are around the north entrance, and the inner courtyard. The c1840 library has a Jacobean-style wooden chimneypiece, panelling and a plaster ceiling; the music room has a fireplace with a lion's head. Orangery with a wooden pendant, and glazing to make it look like a conservatory. Wooden staircase with twisted banisters and a staff toilet with original Japanese-motif wallpaper c 1850. Rose Bruford. Established a drama school here in 1950 and remained as principal until 1967. Rose was an actress, drama tutor and author.
Barn Theatre. Modern but using part of the walls and sloping roof of an old barn dating back at least to the mid 19th century.
Rose Theatre. In the round with 300 seats.
Coach-house. Cupola and adjoining stables, probably c1790.
Cottages. Two gardener’s cottages, probably 1830s. Behind a 19th century piggery.
Outbuildings. These flank the north entrance to the house. The more substantial are, probably 1784; and those adjoining the house are 1991
Dairy. A single -storey building with a wide Gothic window c1840.
Lake - ornamental lake with two arms and a bridge over a weir between the two arms. The lake is fed by the River Shuttle, which runs to the north.
Bath house footings, c1780 by the weir between the two arms of the lake.
Sidcup Golf Club course. An assortment of incoming city men and the wealthier locals were the nucleus from which the golf club was formed in 1891. Its most successful years were in the 1920s and 1930s; new developments reduced it to a nine hole course in the 1950s. In the 21st the club has a new clubhouse on the golf course, and the old clubhouse has become a leisure centre. The club is still the 8th most senior club in Kent.
Ice houses two built in 1790 and 1840 under the ownership of William Steele. Between the two lakes.
8 house 1841 is the original Lamorbey National School. In use a school until 1880.
Pinnacle from Lamorbey Chapel c1840 in a garden.
Burnt Oak Junior School a large red brick building. It was built for children resident in The Hollies 1903-09.
10/16 four cottages with a barge boarded gabled centre, rustic timber porches each covering two entrances. Built for workers on the Lamorbey Estate. A plaque reads 'J.M. 1874' - John Malcolm owned Lamorbey House at the time.
Holy Trinity School. Set back from the road. 1969 by Oliver Steer; with four glazed gables in the centre zigzagging to the ground. Extended in 1971. Voluntary Aided school with 370 pupils, and a Nursery for 36 children. The original school opened here in 1838 in Sidcup; but current building was opened in 1968.
Edwardian lodge. The old main entrance to the Hollies complex
Chiselhurst and Sidcup Grammar School. Built in 1931 as Sidcup County School for Girls the school had two earlier sites outside of the area. This is a sports college although it claims to be a grammar school.

Chatsworth Lane
Chatsworth Infants School

Hurst Road
Hurstmere School for Boys

Marlborough Park
V2 was the location of an attack. It resulted in two deaths and 17 injuries, and the destruction of eight houses.

Shuttle. Liverwort and horsetails grow in the damp areas along the river.
Willersley Park. Tennis courts and pitches.

Shuttle Riverway
Passes to the north of Sidcup Golf Course. There are alders on both banks,

The Glade
A public park. Part of an old wall of the kitchen garden from Lamorbey House, probably of the 1840s. Facilities for angling.

The Oval
The Oval. Half timbered crescent of mock-Tudor shops, built in 1933. It faces a crescent of the Marlborough Park Estate across an oval of open space, built by New Ideal Homesteads in the early 1930s

Monday, 25 January 2010

Shuttle and Wyncham Stream flowing to Shuttle. Half Way Street

Thames Tributary – Wyncham Stream
The stream flows north towards the Shuttle and joins it at Hollyoak Wood

Post to the north Blackfen
Post to the west New Eltham
Post to the east Lamorbey

Berwick Crescent
8-10 V2 rockets struck on 8 February, 1945 at 5.40pm exploding in front gardens. The blast destroyed a dozen houses and led to seven deaths and to 110 injured.
The River Shuttle is along the roadside with bankside plants including reeds and garden plants, planted by local residents

Beverley Wood
Beverley Wood. A pleasant narrow belt of woodland, alongside the Wyncham Stream. It is fairly wet and consists mainly of crack willow

Braundton Avenue
Houses built in the 1930s as part of a planned development that included these parallel avenues, - the other is Willersley Avenue. Built by H. Smith and Co. of Avery Hill Road, as part of Smith’s Hollies Estate, the planning were submitted in March 1932 and most houses are built in a chalet style
1-64 a typical 1930s chalet style suburban estate.
62 - 64 date from the late 1930s and are built in a restrained moderne style.

Brookend Road
Road name associated with the Wyncham Stream and the River Shuttle

Brooklands Road,
Road name associated with the Wyncham Stream and the River Shuttle

Days Lane
Days Lane was a cart track crossed by a stream in a ditch,
Days Lane Farm, as old as 1660. Also known as Elms Farm.
Child's Nursery was next to the farm
Mission room for Lamorbey church. Was opposite Days Farm
Church of the Holy Redeemer. A small church built 1933, set back from the road. The exterior, in art deco style, with a concrete porch and belfry. The concrete sanctuary arch leads down into twin concrete recesses which serve as pulpit and lectern. Series of curved concrete ribs are continued down to the ground as buttresses - pierced to give the impression of flying buttresses. There is a curved concrete altar-rail, and a small stone Norman moulding from Rochester Cathedral. Painting of The Adoration of the Lamb' by Kenneth Hayes 1986.
Hollyoak Wood Park. A small clump of ancient woodland, where the Wyncham Stream joins the River Shuttle. The River Shuttle is in concrete channels here, with steep sides and railings. It is open grassland with some woodland with coppiced alder. On the ground are brambles, bluebells, violets, meadowsweet, wood-sedge, dog's-mercury, wood anemone and St John's-wort. The area was once a royal hunting ground. In the early 19th it was called ‘oak wood’ and was owned by farmer Thomas Lewin. During World War II it was all allotments.
Days Lane Baptist Church. 1966 church with a long roof swooping down with curled up eaves.

Hollies Estate
Marrowbone Hall. Tudor House which was Home of the Lewin family. Demolished before 1850. It was probably a farmhouse in the early 17th. Later it came into the ownership of the Lewins. From here in 1820 Harriet Lewin was married to George Grote, the historian of Greece. In 1853 a new building was erected which in 1901 became the children’s home.
The Hollies Children’s Home, designed by Dinwiddy on the site of Marrowbone Hall. Built for The Guardians of Deptford and Greenwich as an orphanage for 587 children and 60 staff. Part of the site is now private housing. 'The Hollies' and many of the original orphanage buildings remain and include a water tower with a clock face.
Housing 1930s H.Smith & Co.

Rosebery Avenue
On the site of the farmyard of Days Farm

Shuttle Close
Road name associated with the Wyncham Stream and the River Shuttle

Blackboy Pub.

Willersley Avenue
Houses built in the 1930s as part of a planned development that included two parallel avenues, - the other is Braundton Avenue. Willersley is the major access north-south and is thus the wider of the two. There was a proposal to make it part of an inter-war London inner ring road. Built by H. Smith and Co. of Avery Hill Road, as part of Smith’s Hollies Estate, the planning were submitted in March 1932 and most houses are built in a chalet style
1-51 2-42 a typical 1930s chalet style suburban estate
32, 34, 45, 47 depart from the dominant house type.

Willersley Close
A cul-de-sac in which four semidetached properties fan out around a central turning circle a typical 1930s chalet style suburban estate.

Wyncham Stream
Flows under the section of railway line between Sidcup and New Eltham stations and under a series of residential roads, including Halfway Street.

Wyncham Stream flowing to Shuttle. New Eltham

See http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2010/01/shuttle-flowing-to-cray-new-eltham.html

Wyncham Stream flowing to Shuttle - New Eltham

(TQ 441 728)
The Wyncham Stream is a tributary to the River Shuttle, which is a tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Stream flows north through the area.

Post to the north New Eltham
Post to the south Kemnal Manor

Bercta Road, New Eltham
Junction Gardens were shortened when the road was widened in the early 1930s.
All Saints Church. A red brick church built in 1898 by Peter Dollar. A chancel was added on by Thomas Ford in 1931 before that it had a ‘tin’ chancel and a wooden structure for the bell. The roof was bombed in 1944. It became a parish church in 1929. Inside are stained glass and a statue by Caroline Benyon.
Church hall. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. Latter of Southend Hall and the hall opened by Lady Kemnal.

Bishops Close.

Dulverton Road

Footscray Road
Part of Maidstone/Dover Road until 1923. 1781 Turnpike trust, New Cross Trust;
487-472 Grange, early Victorian. Right hand section 1850. West of it buildings of Clay farm.
New Eltham Library. October 1931. Railing went for the Scout HQ old coach house for Belmont Lodge, which was on the site of Barclays Bank and was where the doctor lived.
494 Milestone outside
Methodist Church, 1903 but church built 1958 and Youth and Community centre 1967.

New Eltham
The mainly 20th century development of New Eltham, marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1905, was formerly called Pope Street as on the earlier map of 1805, no doubt -hamlet associated with a family called Pope'.

Sidcup Road A20
Crossways Hotel. protests from residents when built. Has become a Burger King.
Kemnal Corner
Flamingo Park
Jack Nicklaus Golf Centre – World of Golf
Milestone at County Gate

Wyncham Stream
A small stream 3.5 miles long.

Wyncham Stream flowing to Shuttle.Kemnal Manor

The Wyncham Stream is a tributary to the River Shuttle, which is a tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Stream rises and flows north through the area.

Post to the north New Eltham

Ashen Grove
The Wyncham stream flows through this area of ancient woodland

Belmont Lane
An earlier name was Keminghole Lane
Belmont Lane Open Space with children’s play area
Edgebury Primary School
Royal British Legion Club

Kemnal Road
First developed for housing only 130 years ago; old, but follows the route of an old footpath which crossed an area called Woodheath. In 1871 Samuel Asser bought the freehold of the Kemnal Estate from New College, Oxford. He also bought the right of way over Woodheath, from Earl Sydney and made a new road north to Maidstone Road. By 1884 there were 13 large houses in Kemnal Road
The Wyncham Stream follows the line of the road.
Stock Wells
Foxbury Mission Society Training College
Foxbury. Samuel Asser sold 57 acres to Henry Tiarks, a London banker, to build Foxbury. Building the house started in 1875 on Upper Broomfield. The architect was David Brandon designed as some gothic, some Tudor, some modern. The building was carried out by, Hill, Higgs & Hill.
Kemnal Riding Stables
Kemnal Manor. First recorded in deeds in 1250 it was then the home of Alexander of Chomehole. Most recently the name was ‘Keminghole’ and since contracted to Kemnal, It was sold to William Wykham in 1391 and he endowed it to New College, Oxford, in whose ownership it remained until bought by Asser in the 1870s and he built a new house on the site. This house was sold to James Hermann Rosenthal in the early 1900's. He was British Managing Director of Babcock & Wilcox and but adopted the name Kemnal and became known as JHR Kemnal. By 1939 Lady Kemnal was happy to allow Kemnal Manor to be requisitioned for military use during the war and it became the headquarters for the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Southern Command, and remained as such until 1961.The house was abandoned after REME left, and in 1964 was destroyed by fire. Part of the Estate was sold to the London Dock Labour Board and was developed into a sports ground.

Shuttle - flowing to the Cray. Blackfen

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle flows towards the Cray in an easterly direction but also turns slightly south.
TQ 45404 74070

Residential area of mainly interwar speculative housing to the east of Eltham. Very depressing

Post to the west Avery Hill
Post to the south Halfway Street

Berwick Crescent
Shuttle. Bank side plants include hawthorn, willow and alder.

Area of marshy ground which floods easily. Black Fenn Farm mentioned in 17th.

Blackfen Road
“This thoroughfare is lined for a considerable distance on both sides by a depressing ribbon growth of newly erected houses and cheap bungalows” Several of Blackfen's new streets were developed as self-build properties.
Church of the Good Shepherd. A small church of 1965, with a multi-angled copper dome atop a red brick base. Used as a hall with the church only a small section of the building.
77/79 a pair c1905, they were originally farm workers cottages for Westwood Farm.
Jolly Fenman, built in the 1950s. The Fenman was refurbished in February 2006

Boundary Road

Days Lane
Days Lane was a cart track crossed by a stream in a ditch, with a pond at the Blackfen end near Queenswood.
Days Lane Primary School

Holbeach Gardens
Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Primary School.

Parish Wood
The name presumably refers to the old Parish Boundary which closely the same line as that of the present Borough which is marked by a fence. The Park was once all wooded. Underfoot the Park is often damp, so alders grow well.
River Shuttle. Trees along the bank are mainly crack willows, so called because of the brittleness of their twigs. This is a native species, present since the Ice Age.

Development by C.R.Leech built in the early 1930s and which featured semi-detached three-bedroomed houses offered freehold for £675
Tributary to the Shuttle from the north. Joining it near Caithness gardens.

Barr-Hamilton and Reilly. Country to Suburb
Bexley Councill. Shuttle Riverway,
Church of the Good Shepherd. Web site
Field. London Place Names

Sunday, 24 January 2010

Shuttle - flowing to the Cray. New Eltham

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle flows eastwards to the Cray
The Wincham Stream flows north

Post to the north Avery Hill
Post to the east Halfway Street
Post to the west New Eltham
Post to the south Footscray Road

Avery Hill Road
Avery Hill Fields is a network of sports grounds and playing fields, separated by trees and hedges some of them ancient. The river Shuttle flows through the Fields taking up a number of small streams and springs.
Southwood House. Late 18th house stuccoed and with later extensions. Col. North lived here while Avery Hill was being built. It became the Margaret Roper Hall of Residence.
Student accommodation blocks. three & four-storeys built 1914-16. White.
Southwood Lodge. Mid 19th
The Witch of Agnesi. In a lily-pond F.E. McWilliam 1962. Agnesi was a medieval woman mathematician.
Signpost. Fingerpost on a small green at the junction with Halfway Street.
Cambridge University Mission Sports Field.
Unilever Sports Ground.
Transport yard for PO vehicles was Grundoin's coaches and the front building used by the family. On this site was All Saints Pope Street Mission Hall. 1884 and also used by Church Army.
Metrogas Amateur Sports Association Ltd established in 1996
Gaelic Athletic Sports Ground
Stanley works. Instrument and tool makers. The factory was built in 1916 by George Heath, a Crayford based, maker of navigational instruments. In the 1920s Heath was taken over by Stanley’s - South Norwood based instrument making company. Thenceforth production was concentrated at New Eltham. In the Second World War production was intensified and more buildings were added. In 1945 V2 damaged a whole wing. During the 1940s and 1950s the company flourished and expanded developing and making a very wide range of instrumentation. The factory eventually closed in the 1990s.
V2 attack 16 February 1945 the rocket fell on open ground 130 yards rear of the Cambridge University Mission which was then occupied by No.37 Fire HO, .No casualties 9.53 am
Dickersons. building merchants and plant hire. Went to Norfolk in 1996 after 80 years in Eltham.
32 New Eltham Social Club on site of 2 houses

Beaverbank Road
Stone seat commemoration

Eastnor Road
Was called Merchland Road West and a bridge went to Merchland Cottages;
Avondale House. Leased from the Colynson Charity in 1892. Dog kennels kept by Col. North of Avery Hill.

Novar Road
Novar Hall was a shop; 1886, Christian Fellowship

Keightley Drive
Named after Henry Keightley who in 1520 left land to pay for road repairs;

Pope Street
Hamlet clustered round the cross roads at the top of Avery Hill Road. The hamlet lasted until the end of the 19th. But locally old fields and their boundaries survive in the local sports fields

Sparrows Lane
Charlton Athletic training ground
Sparrows Farm Leisure Centre

Wyncham Stream
Has passed under the railway line and towards Brookmeadow Road

Shuttle flowing to the Cray. Avery Hill

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
A tributary of the Shuttle flows south from Eltham Warren

Suburban area to the east of Eltham with a great deal of open space. Colonel North's mansion has had many additions and extensions and is now part of the University of Greenwich.   There are also many sports grounds, the nature centre and the cemetery. Bexley Road is now dominated by the new buildings of Crown Woods School.

Post to the west Eltham
Post to the east Blackfen
Post to the south New Eltham
Post to the north Falconwood

Avery Hill Park
Avery Hill. Marked as this on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876, but called Polecat End on earlier maps. However the land was called ‘Aviary’ in 1839 so maybe there was an earlier 'aviary'. ‘Avery Hill’ was later the name of the mansion built in 1890. From 1906 it was used as a teachers' training college is and now part of Greenwich University.
Avery Hill, mansion. Large house built for John North in a flamboyant renaissance style, designed by architect Thomas Cutler. Much of it was destroyed in the Second World War, and what remains is overshadowed by extensions. Colonel North made a fortune out of the nitrate trade in Chile. He is said to have gone to South America to build railways and to have been involved in gun running. North was made an honorary colonel of the Tower Hamlets Yeomanry and invited the Prince of Wales to Avery Hill. North got his knighthood. He bought the estate in 1883; plus a house built in 1841. He demolished this in 1888 retaining one small room, and built a large mansion, completed in 1890, to demonstrate his wealth. He lived there for only a few years, and died in 1896. It was bought by the London County Council in 1902; and in 1906 became a teachers training college. What remains of the outside of the 1890 building is the large entrance and the western parts. House had 50 rooms with marble staircases, picture galleries and sculptures. Arched classical windows go round what are now the Senior Common Room, the Winter Garden, and the conservatory at the end of the Picture Gallery. The Picture Gallery of 1890 is now the Library, with a red brick section of 1910. The Sculpture Gallery of 1890 is also part of the Library. The 'interior has extravagant decorative work. The surviving rooms of the 1890 building include a small room, called the Boyd Room, surviving from the previous house of c1841. This is also part of the Library. The entrance porch with carved mahogany doors leads into the Entrance Hall, with a glazed dome above and is an elaborate carved chimneypiece, with classical figures and pre-Raphaelite style tiles. The Senior Common Room has inlaid ivory doors and busts of John North and his wife on either side. It was the original drawing room and has direct access to the Winter Garden. Leading off the Picture Gallery is the Garden Court, an enclosed small space. Another surviving room is the Ladies Cloakroom, with ornately tiled walls and ceiling, and stained glass.
Avery Hill Park was opened in 1903 and owned by the London County Council. 86 acres.
School of Primary Education in the taller block at the east end.
Department of Design & Technology, 1963 with a series of H sharply angular roofs
School of Secondary Education, the core of which is the original stables of 1890. Stables were panelled in teak and centrally heated. North used the park as a training ground for his horses as he hoped to rival Blenkiron at Middle Park. The Stable Block has a cupola on top; and a red brick section which is an extension of 1907.
The Engine House - now the Junior Common Room has an, original. Water Tower adjoining. Both structures are of 1890, and are linked to the Mansion by a covered arcade.
The admin block, with the roof of the Music Room protruding above, and the School of Primary Education all built 1963-71.
Winter Garden. A conservatory at the rear. It has a glass dome with iron pillars over the temperate house. It was built in 1890 and has a statue of Mercury on top. It has palms, citrus, cacti, domestic pot plants, orchids, philodendron, strelitzia regina etc all around; a tropical house with ferns, anthurium, bananas, bromeliads etc; and a cool house with camelias, acacias etc. in the cool house is a large goldfish-pond with a statue of the Greek goddess Galatea reclining on a dolphin, by Leopoldo Ansiglioni 1882. The temperate house contains a display of old agricultural implements. There is a row of tall eucalyptus trees outside. Features in films 'The Big Sleep’.
Walled garden, including rose and flower gardens. The old flowerbeds and rockery give a clue to North's grandiose scheme.
A large plant nursery, used by the GLC, in the middle of which are the farmhouse and stables of John North's stud farm of 1890.

Bexley Road
This road was diverted in 1889 by Colonel North. The driveway to the mansion follows the line of the old Bexley Road.
Milestone reading '9 miles to London Bridge, 7 miles to Dartford.
Gatehouse with a French chateau-like roof and archway.
Wall of red brick built along the north boundary in 1890 after Bexley Road had been diverted from its previous route.

Eltham Heights
To the north of Avery Hill

Gravel Pit Lane
A footpath, broad and well paved, which is an ancient country lane. It is the route of an old course to a windmill.
A stream, from the golf course, runs over it towards the Shuttle. It has ancient hedges with field maple, hazel, crab and holly.
Environmental Curriculum Centre. This was originally the ILEA Nature Study Scheme, and occupies functional buildings from 1960. Since 1990 it has been run by the London Borough of Greenwich. The site incorporates a variety of wildlife habitats, including meadows of wild flowers, cornfields, hedgerows, woodlands. There are two ponds fed by a branch of the River Shuttle, as well as artificial ponds.
Horse trough. 1905 presented by Maryon-Wilson

Riefield Road
Crown Woods School. Comprehensive School. Includes a boarding building for army children. The central part is 1954, in a subdued modernist style with mainly glass curtain walling.
Eltham Cemetery. A formal layout of 1935. Monument to Ernest Bennett, a young airman who died in a flying accident in 1938; the figure is dressed in an airman's uniform. Crematorium

Bygone Kent
Eltham Walk
Greenwich, Local List

Greenwich University. Web site
Goldsmiths South East London industrial archaeology

London Borough of Greenwich. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Nature Conservation in Greenwich, 
North West Kent Family History Society Newsletter
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Shuttle Riverway, trail,
Spurgeon. Discover Eltham

Thames Tributory -Shuttle flowing to the Cray. Eltham

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle rises here and flows eastwards.

Suburban area to the south of Eltham Centre, lots of churches, and nature

Post to the east Avery Hill
Post to the south New Eltham
Poat to the west Eltham Town Centre

Beechhill Road
Built by Corbett c.1903

Bexley Road
This stands south of the band of Blackheath and Woolwich beds and is 30-50m above sea level
Pippen Hall Farm
Pippenhall Stables; Henley's field is the site of John de Henley’s manor house 1290
Pippenhall Meadow. Originally part of Pippin Hall Farm, the fields became part of the Avery Hill Estate in the 1890s and are now used by riding stables. There are five meadows; flanked by tall, ancient hedgerows with grassland which supports field woodrush and the hedges have foxgloves. The damp environment supports wetland plants but the central pastures are drier. It is the only London site for pyramidal orchids. The damp central area is caused by a natural spring and a pond and a brook which eventually feeds into the River Shuttle. Watercress beds were once fed by this spring.  Area of ridge and furrow.

Blunts Road
Fifteenpenny Fields. A group of buildings, belonging to an old charity. The central house is classical building built in 1963. One-storey terrace, 1963, fronting a green, in the middle of which is a water pump.
3/7 almshouses of the Philipot charity built in 1872.

Butterfly Lane
Leads to Conduit Meadow.
Conduit Meadow. Low-lying area. An area of wetland contains the headwaters of the Shuttle. The sports grounds here follow the medieval field pattern.
River Shuttle flows from here as a narrow stream. There were Anglo Saxon settlements by the River and it ran through the lands of Archbishop Wulfred in 814. The alder woods along the banks are amongst the best in London and their fine root systems penetrate below the water level preventing bank erosion. Other bank side vegetation consists of nettles, brambles and coarse grasses which provide cover and shelter for animals and food for insects. There is watercress and fool's watercress, as well as reed canary-grass, pendulous sedge and soft rush. On the water’s edge are water figwort and marsh marigold.
Conduit Head. A vaulted structure Tudor structure in red brick which housed sluices controlling the water supply for Eltham Palace and its moat using springs from what is now Eltham Warren Golf Course.

Corbett Estate
The Corbett Estate is the area between Archery Road and Eltham Park to the east. Cameron Corbett was a former Liberal MP for Glasgow. He bought the land and built the houses. Corbett, who was a strict Church of Scotland temperance campaigner, gave all the streets Scottish names and put restrictive clauses in the sale of the houses preventing the sale of alcohol anywhere on the estate intending to replicate his father’s estates north of the Thames,

Eltham High Street
Weatherboarded cottage
K2 type red cast-iron telephone kiosk, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1927 outside the reservoir at the eastern end of the Street.
226/8 Eltham Fire Station, classical brick building 1904.
Man of Kent, a pub of 1888, with a corner spire
32 Christ Church Presbytery. Early 19th front of house once called Eagle House. later additions. The part to the east is red brick early 18th and that to the west is yellow brick and early 19th. Red brick garden wall largely 18th.
Christchurch R.C., 1890 by Scales & Raymond. Priory buildings 1963 by F. G. Broadbent & Partners. Sculpture of Christ in Glory on the gable wall by James Butler.

Eltham Park
Young children's playground in Eltham Park as well as sporting facilities. The Park has some old trees, although many were damaged by the great gale of 1987.
Shaft and chamber discovered in 1878 by workmen trying to trace a leak and broke into a brick drain.

Eltham Park Estate
Corbett built

Eltham Warren
Eltham Warren Golf Course. Originally a source of spring water for Eltham Palace. The area covering the golf course and the south park was known as The Warren. There are areas of acid grassland with harebells and daisies. Old hedges cross the golf course along with areas of broom and gorse. . Used for rifle practice by Eltham Volunteer Corps

Footscray Road
Footscray means clean and fresh river. Or is it the Godwine Fot mentioned in the Doomsday book.
48/60 office development of 1985-90 in front of an old motor coach garage
33/59 decorative features.
59 one of a group of tall Victorian 1870s houses. Blue plaque to Richard Jefferies, 1841 1887, naturalist and writer. He lived here 1884-85. Plaque erected 1986.
188 brick barn, 18th
141 Southend House. The west front, facing the road, of this red brick house is of early 18th appearance but parts of the walls including the gables over the entrance may be 17th. The house was extended in the early 19th and restored in 1988 to form the central feature of a housing development. The portico is a replica.
Stables at the back 19th and also part of the development
147 lodge to Southend house. Chimneys with diagonal stacks
Milestone. Late 18th for the New Cross Turnpike Trust, with 19th iron plates reading '9 miles to London Bridge, 3 miles to Foots Cray'.
DIY store is site of Grafton’s Engineering Factory,
Grafton's Engineering Factory. They made spools for typewriter ribbons, adding machines, zip fasteners and radio valve pins. The factory was hidden behind a fa├žade purpose built to look like a large country house. In front of the building was a large garden with a tennis court to create the impression of 'gracious living'. Built in 1919 and demolished in 1988. They had in use in the works an important 19th planing machine made by Whitworths of Manchester c.1866. It is thought to have been bought by Graftons c. 1900 from Arthur Martin of Westcombe Park.

Glenesk Road
14 Romanland where Roman remains found in the garden when it was built in 1913
Deansfield School

Glenhouse Road
Corbett built c.1903

Glenure Road
St. Mary's School was Eltham Park House

Gourock Road
Cornett built c. 1903

Greenholm Road
Corbett built c. 1900
1a by Edward Cullinan 1966. On a long narrow site. It has a glazed upper floor, a sheer brick wall to the south, and a pitched roof. At the back a garden room is linked to it by a corridor with a transparent curved roof.
Daisy Munns House. By the Borough Architect's Department, Everson and Searles, 1976-8, with a carefully designed rounded corner and hipped roof

Opened March 1988

Philpott Path
This lane makes its way parallel to the High Street for a third of mile, between Court Yard and Elm Terrace; it crosses roads and passes through shopping developments. It is named after a 17th resident who founded the Eltham Almshouses.
Thomas Philipot Almshouse .A tablet of 1694 which was removed from the original almshouses is on the wall.
4 an early 19th timber house .
23/24 c1840 and similar to Elizabeth Terrace
St.Mary's RC Primary School

Pound Place
Metcalfe's Forge
Arcade. Supposed to be part of larger development.
Sports Centre

Separate village from Eltham.

Southend Crescent
2-14 villas 1840 indicate the first merging of Southend and Eltham. The group follows the curve of the road.
Holy Trinity Church, A Victorian Gothic church of 1869 by George Street plus alterations by the firm of Sir Arthur Blomfield & Son in 1909. Very little of Street's work survives. The apse from 1909 was built in memory of John North of Avery Hill. In 1923 a chapel was converted as a Gallipoli memorial and dedicated to those who died in the 1915 campaign. Stained glass by Kempe & Co. and Powell.
Vicarage behind the church 1869, with later extensions, and in similar style to the church.
Source of the River Shuttle. Another source was just to the east of Holy Trinity Church, which is on the boundary between two gravel beds.

Westmount Road
St Luke. A red brick church by Temple Moore 1907 plus additions of 1933. The altar came from a chapel in Well Hall Road built for munitions workers.
Vicarage on the site of Park House. Used by Corbett as an estate office
Hut alongside the church used for many purposes. Maisonettes on the site 1957

Chelsea Speleological Society. Newsletter
Christchurch. Web site
GLIAS Newsletter
Goldsmiths. South East London Industrial Archaeology
Holy Trinity. Web site
London Borough of Greenwich. Web site
Nature Conservation in Greenwich
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Spurgeon. Discover Eltham
St.Luke. Web site
Wilson. London's Industrial Archaeology

Thames Tributory - Shuttle flowing to the Cray. New Eltham

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
Streams feed from this area in to the Shuttle

Post to the north Eltham
Post to the east New Eltham

Blanmerle Road
Was originally Batturs Road.
A footpath from Blanmerle Road goes through site of previous RACS shop.
2 & 4 unusual design of houses. 1898.

Fairy Hill Sports Ground
This was the site of Fairy Hall, built for Henry Earl Bathurst when he was an 18th Lord High Chancellor.
Collapse on December 18th 1596. A trench of ground containing in length about 80 perches and in breadth 28 began, with the trees and hedges on it, to loose itself from the rest of the ground lying round about it, and withall to move and shoot southward, day and night for eleven days. The ground of two water pits, the one six foot deep of water carried towards the south at least four pecks apiece, but withall mounted aloft and became hills. Fairy Hill belonged to Sir Percival Hart Kt.

Footscray Road
144 A house built early 18th, altered and extended, with a modern porch.
87/ 91 Gap for Butterfly Lane and London Electricity Sports ground.
London Electricity Sports ground. London Electricity Sports and Social Association (LESSA). A large pond, overshadowed by tall trees, and supervised by the London Wildlife Trust. It was formerly part of a much larger lake in the grounds of Southend House, and originally a marle pit. It is among a network of old hedgerows that criss-cross land used for sports. It has frogs, toads and newts. There are bats and foxes.
Beehive Pub. 1897 decorative features. The Field beside it was used for trotting, races and circuses
Clare Corner at junction with Green Lane. Garden suburb co-ownership development
Ivor Grove. 1881, used to be called Pope Street School, the old name is still there
Merchland Cottages. demolished. Pond and wetland. Allotments.
New Eltham Station. 1878. Between Sidcup and Mottingham on South Eastern Trains. Dartford Loop railway, originally called Pope Street. 1927 renamed and Called New Eltham when it was electrified. 1964 rebuilt. 1990 New buildings. Originally opened for the convenience of first class ticket holders who lived in the local posh houses. Signal box, goods yard in a cutting, rebuilt 1964. New buildings 1990. Paid for by the developer and the name changed from Pope Street to please them. Very much a railway suburb grew up close to the station – houses for the middle class commuter.
Goods yard closed 1965
RACS Store
Wybourne School

Green Lane
84/136 Victoria Cottages 1897
This is a Green Corridor between Mottingham and New Eltham Stations. Sycamore and oak with hawthorn and bramble scrub.

Southwood Road
92/98 imposing
Southwood Rough
Sports field in the centre and wet grassland round the edge. There is a Gap in the hedge from the sports field into the rough. A stream runs between polluted earth banks. Ancient tree trunks and fly tipping. This was the old London Electricity Board sports ground Bought by Greenwich Council in 1980

Friday, 22 January 2010

Thames Tributary Cray - Bexley

Tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Cray continues to flow North East
TQ 49511 73603

The centre of Bexley - Bexley Village - and with a station on the loop line into Dartford.  The village is based round a mill on the Cray and a road junction, continually choked with traffic.  Opposite the mill stands the old church with cottages and a large sign for the still working gravel extraction site to the rear. Along the bank of the Cray are still small works, some in the buildings of the old brewery. There is a rather smart little High Street with almshouses, meeting hall and pubs.

Post to the west Brigden
Post to the north Bexley
Post to the east Coldblow
Post to the south Mount Mascal

Albert Road
In the 1920s small council-house estates were built in Victoria Road -as the southern part of Albert Road was then known.
63 Black Horse pub. Cosy back street local. Open-plan bar

Two main roads meet here and ford the Cray. The name is to do with box trees. ‘Byxlea’ 814 in an Anglo-Saxon charter, ‘Bix’ 1086 in the Domesday Book, that is 'wood or clearing where box trees grow', from Old English. The box used to be abundant in the south of England - Does this imply that the village was a clearing in woods distinguished by the presence of a box-thicket. A description of Bexley is given in a charter of 814 when it had ten plough lands and from the 11th to the 16th it developed round the court lodge, on the site of the present Manor House. In 814 the King of Mercia had granted it to the Archbishop of Canterbury and from the late 14th they leased it out. It would then have been riverside woodland clearing with fields. In the Domesday Survey a church is noted which must have stood on the site of St. Mary's, while of the three mills referred to, one may very well have been on the same spot as the watermill in the High Street. In 1623 William Camden gave the Manor to Oxford University. At the beginning of the 1930s Bexley was still a village surrounded by countryside.

Bourne Road
1/3 shops were the Strict Baptist Chapel of 1846 which had moved across the road in 1905. The main shape of the chapel, oriented north remains.
11 Ypsilanti, Reffell brewer lived here from 1890. It had a gable, and urns on the projecting ground floor. It was subsequently a post office.
12 Bexley Village Library. Tile work. The original entrance was to the south. An unpretentious building, now too small for modern needs, but it was designed in 1912 by Edward Maufe who designed Guildford cathedral.
17/19 Old Bexley Business Park. 1860s; flanking the driveway to the former buildings of Reffell's Brewery, 1874 to 1956. 17 which has the bow window was a shop, backed by two brewery towers and a storehouse stood alongside. 19 has a pediment and were offices. There is a water-tower behind. This was the Premises of Messrs. Owlett & Son. Ancillary buildings on the entrance road. Brewing stopped in 1954.
2 K6 Telephone boxes
54/64 Victoria Homes almshouses of 1897. This has a pedimented central building with two wings and Terracotta along the roofline.
66/70 Bexley National Schools. Two separate buildings in industrial use since 1974. The Teacher’s house has a tablet 'Built 1834'. Behind are two original schoolrooms and a school-hall. It is stock brick with gables. Built with the aid of a grant from the National Society whose object was to provide schools for the children of the working class? The Religious Instruction was to be in accordance with the teaching of the Church of England. In 1883 St. Mary's old south porch was removed – it had a room above which is said to have served as a schoolroom.
5 Driveway to the Pharmax chemicals factory.
5 electricity generating station At the end of the site by Weir Road for Bexley Council Tramways. 1903 with round-headed windows.. It was built near the river because of the water, but it was a long way from the trams
Bourne Works. Before 1866 this was the Kent Brewery, and the terrace of buildings were stables and malt houses. Mostly demolished by railway building in 1866.
Bexley Brewhouse. Old maltings, which became a brewery. Built 1807 and demolished 1844. An Old wall remains south of the Baptist Chapel and around the Thanet Road car park.
Cray House. Probably built for the mill owner. Excavation behind the house uncovered remains of a tile-built oven and hearth associated with a pottery of c. 1300. There were also Fragments of two pottery roof-ventilators.
Flint footings associated with medieval pottery. The site adjoins the west side of the river.
Old Bexley Baptist Chapel. 1905, Sunday school and chapel with variety of window shapes and gables. The interior has much of the original wooden furniture, including pews, pulpit rostrum, and hammerbeam roof. An inscription on the front records that the original chapel on another site was built in 1846, restored and the schools built in 1893. The present building dates from 1905.
Print House
Bexley Postal Sorting Office. Domestic building of 1891 with hipped gable and bargeboards. Fronted by single storey post office.

High Street
The new upper-middle classes of the Parkhurst Estate required smarter shopping facilities than had previously been on offer in the village.
Saxon iron spearhead of the 9th or 10th found in 1912 in a bed of muddy peat extending from the railway bridge to Bourne Road.
Oxford Terrace dates from 1878.
Railway viaduct. Built in 1866 as part of Dartford Loop Line. It is a series of brick arches which carry the line across the flood plain of the Cray plus a bridge over the High Street. The line at first bisected the High Street. .
1/3 & 7/9 Bexley High Street. Two late 18th pairs with brick front and weatherboarded rear; 1/3 have weatherboarded sides too. The Georgian cottages are brick in front but timber-framed behind.
101 small mid 18th house, with a projecting pedimented central bay.
106/8 fanciful house 1888 decorative detail and coach archway
107/115, terrace of early 19th cottages, in two groups under two separate roofs. 111/5 may conceal early 17th structure.
110/112 mid 19th
117 Brook Cottage. Centre and left section were a coach-house and stables for Highstreet House, c 1860-70, Right extension 1970s. In the wall are sections of the original Tudor boundary wall of Highstreet House.
123 Highstreet House, brick Georgian house built in 1761 by John Thorpe, the antiquary, on the site of an older Tudor house. The roof of this is visible to the rear. There is a plaque to: 'John Thorpe, historian and antiquary, lived here c 1750-1789'. The manor house was sold by Sir John Spielman, the Dartford paper manufacturer, to Camden, who bequeathed it to the University of Oxford for the endowment of a professorship of history. It was partly rebuilt about the middle of the 19th and later used as a private nursing home.
13/35 Styleman's Almshouses. 1755. A symmetrical terrace of 12 houses of 1755, low-lying and austere. Windows over doors 1961. Plaque 'Stylemans Almshouses erected in the year 1755', and sundial '1882 tempus fugit'. Erected under a trust by John Styleman, who lived at Danson, from 1695 to 1723. Raised brick band between the storeys, but no further ornament. John Styleman was a director of the East India Company who lived at Danson. On his death in 1734 he left instructions for the erection of twelve dwellings for the relief of poor families in Bexley. Each Midsummer Day the twelve families attended church where they occupied a bench boldly inscribed 'Styleman's Charity' and listened to a special sermon preached by the vicar who received two guineas for it. The twelve cottages remain and in 1961 they were modernised internally and extra windows inserted in the front and further internal reconstruction occurred in 1985,
2/28 Oxford Terrace, shopping parade 1878,
34/36 brick pair 1787, with later dormers and 19th century shop fronts. Until c1834 it was the parish workhouse. Near the bottom of the upper floor windows can be seen ‘1787’ with the initials of parish vestry members.
38 The Railway Tavern, The oldest part of this pub is recessed upper floor c1700.
Clarendon Mews. Housing development of the late 1980s, in the grounds of Cray House. It includes enclosed Garden Square, the black timber oriel facing the approach drive, and the striking roof.
40-42 Co-op extensions. Sherds of medieval pottery were found in digging the foundations.
48/68 shop terrace of 1966, following the slight curve in the road, with weatherboarded upper floors, S. F. Everson &' D. F. Searle’s. Yellow brick and white weatherboarding
57- 59 late c 17, with a hipped projecting centre. Late 17th in dark red brick with a two-storey porch. The date ‘1676’ is incised on a brick at the south-west corner
63 Freemantle Hall. 1894, with clock tower added in 1920. Still in use as a public hall. It has a red brick and terracotta frontage, with cement rendering. Extensively used for concerts, dances, dramatic performances, and other public gatherings. It has a stage, retiring rooms, and seating accommodation for 350 persons.
65 King's Head. Timber-framed pub, late 16th. It is mainly the original building with 19th extension in front 'The King's Head’. Here 1814 a meeting was held at which a commissioner was appointed on the partitioning of the Heath – between Bexley and what was to become Bexley Heath.
67-71 cottages, early 19th, with modern shop fronts.
74 The George, stuccoed pub. It was there by 1717, but its present frontage is of the late 1870s. Bare interior.
77a c1912 with iron finger signboards pointing to 'Dartford' and The Crays'.
81 The Millers Arms, jolly pub 1900.
82/84 early 19th, though considerably altered, with modern shop fronts.
85 Brewery House for Kent Brewery. Late 18th origin with a late 19th shop front
95 Thomas Shearley Court. A tower by the railway viaduct of c1990 for housing development.
96 Cray House, brick Georgian house, probably 1775. Later extension left,
Bexley Bridge across the Cray. Built 1872, the first road bridge, probably late 18th
Brick shed of 1844,
Fire-engine shed, with pantiled roof, adjoining the churchyard; 1761. The iron railings partly original.
Mill Cottage, late 18th, though much altered.
Mill Row, development c1989 of six shops under the arches of the railway viaduct
Old Mill, pub 1972. Replica of weatherboarded corn-mill c1779, burned down in 1966. It was a Domesday mill site. In 1255, the miller, Auxellus, was censured for allowing the escape of a suspected murder. Hasted described it in 1797 as 'the corn mill belonging to the Lord of the Manor'. The last building on the site dated from 1779, with a low breast shot waterwheel which powered four pairs of millstones. Used to grind barley and maize, no flour having been ground here since about 1910. It was owned by the Cannon family 1839 -1907. A steam engine was installed in 1884, the tall chimney was built by a Mr. Hart who fell from the top whilst doing repairs and lived to tell the tale as his fall was broken by the roof of the engine house. After the Cannon family sold it the mill was used for making sacks. In 1925 an iron wheel was installed weighing three tons. This set up such dangerous vibrations as to threaten the safety of the building and had to be abandoned. The mill was burnt down on 12 May 1966 and was replaced by the Old Mill PH, a pub with a mill theme. Note lucarne, or hoist-house for lifting sacks to an opening below. In the ground floor bar is a wooden water-wheel and the River Cray below, the building destroyed in 1966 dated from about 1779 and that date was carved on one of its beams.
Park House. Early 19th detached villa with a substantial gabled extension to the east and another to the west, and a barge-boarded porch from the late 1890s.
Peat bed between railway and Bourne Road. Saxon spearhead found in 1912
St.Mary's Church. Church on the site at the time of the Domesday. There is early 12th carved decoration on the arch over the south door. It was rebuilt in the late 12th and has a 13th spire and a 14th chapel with a few old stones left in them to convince of its genuineness. The spire is two stages and shingled, octagonal in the top half, pyramidal below, on a cornice with brackets. On cornerstones at the southeast corner of the nave are the remains of five small medieval scratch-dials, either sundials or used to indicate the times of mass. The round-headed arch over the doorway suggests that Norman walling is incorporated. The east bay, clearly later than the rest by the tighter packed flints, has an early c14 window in it and an internal stringcourse, wholly renewed, goes round the walls. Three sedilia, stepping up towards the East, with continuous mouldings that look c15 rather than anything else. Heavily restored by Basil Champneys in 1883 with an exterior faced in flint but leaving basically medieval windows. Font with a bowl dated 1684, on a medieval stem. The Chancel Screen is by Champneys. Pews with names of three large mansions in the area. Absolutely crammed with monuments: Thomas Sparrow 1513; Brass of a civilian; memorial to Sir John Champeneis, 1590 a hanging monument with small kneeling figures; Anne Travels 1679, a cartouche, of London standard; Sir Robert Austen, 1687 of a standing marble monument without figures; Lady Mary Cosein Tablet of c. 1700, with the inscription written on a cloth held up by two frolicking putti; John Styleman 1734. A large hanging monument one with cartouches of arms pinned to a pyramid was erected after 1750 by Annis. The Rev. Henry Piers, vicar from 1737 to 1770, was a convert of Charles Wesley's and his pulpit in the church was open to the Wesleys and Whitefield.
St.Mary's Churchyard. A few yards behind the Fire-Engine Shed set in the wall backing onto Highstreet House, is a memorial to Catharina Thorpe who lived there and died in 1789. The fossil stone beneath was brought by her husband from Green Street Green and placed over the body, presumably to deter grave robbers - hence the injunction "pray disturb not her ashes.” The wall separating the house from the churchyard is Tudor in part. Tomb-chest to Payne family 1603. Several neo-classical tomb-chests.
Lychgate early 18th century with roof supports six oak posts. Originally it was at the south corner replaced by an elaborate lychgate of 1891, with Gothic tracery, by Basil Champneys.
Lych-gate medieval now along the churchyard path originally stood at the main entrance, but was removed in the 19th century when the present one was built. It deteriorated in its next position towards the cemetery, so in 1983 was dismantled a second time, restored and rebuilt here. Note the traces of medieval red colouring still remaining. It is an interesting timber structure, the roof supported on six oak posts braced to the wall plates in a traditional manner surviving from the Middle Ages. Its original purpose was to shelter the coffin and mourners during the opening part of the funeral service - Old English lych - corpse. Perhaps John and Charles Wesley walked through this gate in its original position when they visited Bexley on several occasions between 1737 and 1749 at the invitation of the vicar, Henry Piers. Charles Whitfield preached in the church more than once, as did George Whitefield in 1739, but he was prohibited from doing so again later on account of his Calvinistic views, whereupon he preached in the open at Blendon to a congregation estimated at about three hundred
The medieval vicarage stood until 1776 not far from the south side of the church. John Thorpe, the famous Bexley antiquary, knew it and left a description. “The parsonage-house stood opposite the upper gates of the churchyard; and was one of the most ancient edifices of the kind in this diocese. It doth not appear when it was erected; but from the form and style of its architecture, was judged to have been in or about the time of Edward IV. It was built chiefly with chestnut, and consisted of many strong punchins with diagonal pieces of timber, and plastered between. In front there was a porch, which had a large door with a wicket, which opened to a court or small square. The principal entrance to the house was by an ancient door in the left wing to a cloister-like passage with strong perpendicular open bars, which led to the hall, etc., and over the passage was a gallery leading to the best, or what was called the painted chamber, from the ceiling ornamented with stars. The door in the right wing led to the brew house, washhouse and other offices. The girders or main beams of the house were very large; and some of them had an astragal and hollow, clumsily worked with the chisel and gouge, by way of ornament, small planes not being in use at that time; and the gable-ends of the house and porch were likewise ornamented with carved Gothic cornices of oak and chestnut.'
Unexploded bomb near allotments in marsh near tidal stream
United Reformed Church. A Victorian church 1890 by George Baines. Miniature steeple alongside the north front, the dormer to the east, and the tiny bellcote. Gauche little ragstone. Spire an overgrown pinnacle.
Victoria Homes built in 1897 – the year of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. On the foundation stone it is recorded that it was laid by Sir Robert
War Memorial. Cross of 1920, in front of a triangular green field, once called

Fair Field.

Cross Lane
Narrow winding lane with rural character

Manor Road
Manor Lodge. lodge for the Manor House. Brick and flint, early 19th, with extensions to the left and rear.
Church hall 1980s
Manor Cottage c1870
Manor House. Early 18th on a basic structure of c 1536, brick extension c1800. It is east of St. Mary's Church, standing on the site of the medieval court lodge which in the 18th had been used as a farmhouse. For many years it was the home of Sir Guildford Molesworth the engineer.
Manor Farm. modern, with earlier outbuildings. A Granary on staddlestones moved to Hall Place in 1988.
Bexley Sand and Gravel Pit. Rear of Manor Farm. Opened post Second World War
St Mary’s Cemetery opened in 1857 as an overflow burial ground for the churchyard. Overgrown, and maintained as a nature reserve by the London Wildlife Trust. White stone tomb to Vice-Admiral William Stanhope Lovell, died 1859, under a holm oak - He was a midshipman at the Battle of Trafalgar.

North Cray Road
2 Listed
4-14 Listed
16 Listed
30 Listed
32 Listed
34 Listed
35 The Coach and Horses, Listed

Parkhill Road
St John the Evangelist. 1881. Large Gothic ragstone church by George Low. The spire added in 1890 now leans to the south. Bare interior, in spite of stencilling all over the walls and roof of the chancel. It was built to meet the spiritual needs of the new 'suburb' and a chapel-of-ease to St. Mary's
Penfold hexagonal pillar box. Late 1870s. Rare
68 Island House. 1880 castellated with bargeboarding.

Parkhurst Road
Parkhurst-Knoll Road estate on the western edge of the village. This development was intended for the city commuter. Built c.1878 -1881, made up of detached and semi- detached two-storey houses built in grey brick, with bay windows, some with highly ornate decorative features Built On the grounds of Parkhurst House and Marl House.
64 1881 gothic door
62 1878 castellated window
60 1881 gable and gothic window
50/52 bay windows
34-42 detached ornate villas 1879 with polychrome brickwork and mythical animals.

The Dartford Loop descends from Sidcup in a cutting as it descends to near sea level.

Salisbury Road
Salisbury Road Estate, next to the station in a field cut off by the railway line. It is mainly small leasehold semi-detached house
Butterfly Farm. Thus was established in 1905 by Leonard W. Newman. He bred moths and butterflies to be purchased by collectors, zoos and laboratories. The bushes and trees behind the house were covered in huge bags under which fed the larvae of many rare species. He died in 1949 aged 76 and the business was continued for seventeen years by his son L. Hugh Newman, the broadcaster and writer.

Station Approach
Bexley Station 1866 between Crayford and Albany Park on South Eastern Trains. Dartford Loop. The Main building is basically unaltered with a white weather boarded building on the down side, with cast iron railings. A smaller building on the up side is basically original as are the substantial platform canopies. Subway for track crossing. Locally listed. Signal box removed 1970. Subway for track crossing. Brick arches carry the line over the High Street.
Goods yard closed May 1963 and three sidings closed too
K6 Telephone Box
Railway Electricity Sub Station. 16.8 m long. 12.2 m high and 10.1m wide with three arched windows on each side wall. Contained two rotary converters driven by 3,300V ac power from Deptford Power Station. Supplied 660V dc power to the conductor rail. Installed by the Southern Railway upon electrification in 1926.

Thanet Road
St.John Fisher, RC, 1974.Built by Ivor Day & O'Brien of Bristol. Square-plan church under a two-stage pyramid roof ringed with a band of window. It forms an modern addition to the village with internal arrangement reflecting changes in liturgical practice

Tanyard Lane
Leads to area which was old gravel pit
Bexley Tannery. There in 1808 as a Tanyard, drying houses, and a Bark Mill. Closed when the railway was built in 1866.

Tile Kiln Lane,
Medieval tile kiln, 1971, probably owned by Lesnes Abbey

Upton Road South
Developments included large detached villas. By the early 1930s it was all ribbon development.
240 castellation 1869 with a tiny turret
234 elongated frontispiece
Upton Road Brickfield. W. Lee & J.Clark 1895

Vicarage Road
Ribbon development by the 1930s.
Vicarage. Became St. Mary's old people’s home. The Wesleys and Whitfield had often stayed there. The youngest of the Wesley sisters, Kezzie, jilted by Westley Hall in favour of her sister Martha, lived there for several years with the Piers family.
Garden sundial - Tradition records that the hymn 'Jesu, Lover of my soul' was written under a walnut tree in the vicarage garden. The sundial marks the spot and bears the initials of John, Charles and 'Kezzy' Wesley and of Henry Piers, together with those of an unidentified 'J.H.'. It was Piers who introduced Wesley to Vincent Perronet of Shoreham
6/8 cottages
St.Mary's Cottage conversion of mid 19th century stables; the weatherboarded oriel is modern.
Bexley Equestrian Centre
Electricity Sub Station
Artificial hill
Rising Sun pub
Sun Field. This was used to grow barley until about 1980, but was then left to regenerate naturally. Silver birch and variety of other species.
Grassy mounded field used for gravel working; the washery was very visible

Weir Road
Council power station

Williamson Street

Sidings to Crayford brick sidings

Barr-Hamilton and Reilly. Country to Suburb
Bexley official guide
Black Horse. Web site
Carr. A Spot that is Called Crayford
Cox. , Kent
Field. London Place Names
Goldsmiths. South East London Industrial Archaeology
Kings Head. Web site
London Borough of Bexley. Web site
London Transport. Country Walks
London Encyclopaedia
Nunns. Foots Cray,
Penguin Kent
Pevsner. West Kent
Pevsner and Cherry. South: London
Spurgeon. Discover Bexley and Sidcup
St.John the Evangelist. Web site
Tester. Bexley Village