The London/Essex boundary - North Ockendon
The boundary goes direct west along the boundary of Top Meadow Golf Course, considerably south of, but parallel to, Fen Lane Some time before North Road it briefly turns south and then west again to skirt the northern boundary of Redcrofts. It then goes south down north road to a footpath leading to North Ockendon which it turns westward to follow. When the path turns north the boundary continues west.
Post to the west North Ockendon
Sites on the Essex side of the border
Redcroft Ford. Forge
Groves Farm. Groves is a manorial name for the area. The current farm-house is 19th and is on the site of Colecarters farm-house, and at the start of the Chase
Groves Barns. Two timber-framed barns joined by a brick wall with an arched central gateway of c. 1600, forming the forecourt of the former Groves manor-house of the Saltonstalls. Its site can be seen in the field, with the remains of a moat. Groves manor house was once the largest house in the parish and was there until the 1770s. Sir Richard Saltonstall was Lord Mayor of London in the year of the Armada. All that now remains is a fragment of tiled 16th century wall and the gatehouse which is part of these buildings
Sites on the London, Havering, side of the border
Old White Horse pub. There in 1862
Castle Cottages is a group of small 19th terraced houses
7, detached at the western end, is a listed grade II rendered timber frame house of about 1700, with sash windows.
Forge, listed grade II, weatherboarding and pantile roof and range of agricultural machinery on display,
The Old Bakehouse listed grade II, a two storey 17th timber framed cottage with casement windows and a single storey side extension.
Yard between the Old White Horse and The Forge leads into a public bridleway across the fields to the church.
Adeline House formerly Russell Cottage, grade II listed in a garden setting. Early 19th house with slate roof, sashes and a central door with fanlight.