Showing posts from December, 2012

River Brent - Park Royal

River Brent The Brent flows south westwards Post to the north Tokyngton Post to the west Alperton Post to the east Harlesen Stonebridge Abbey Road Indestructible Paint Co. Ltd . Cleopatra works. The Indestructible Paint Co. dates to about 1867 and were in Park Royal by the 1920s. It acquired Pilchers, who used the trade name Cleopatra – from a Royal request to provide paint for Cleopatra’s Needle. The company was taken over by other paint companies and eventually the trade name Indestructible was taken over and a new company was set up in Birmingham, which is still trading. Curtis Works . Curtis Automobile.   The business was started in 1910 by two Curtis brothers and called Curtis Arthur. In 1919 it was reformed as the Curtis Automobile Co., Ltd., based in Kensington, and under the directorship of Mr. T. H. Curtis, who, in 1922, was joined in the management by Mr. Leonard Stewart, and in 1922 they got the Lancia concession. They then moved to Park Riyal in 1924 with a test tr

River Brent Tokyngton

River Brent The Brent flows south westwards. It is joined by the Wembley Brook from the west Post to the west Wembley Post to the east Stonebridge Post to the south Park Royal Argenta Way Argenta House . Silver ware factory which has been here since the 1970s owned by the Norman family. On it are murals commemorating three Olympiads at which racial tension was at its height. Created by design group Ol’ Man T, Jesse Owens who won over the Nazis at the 1936 games, Tommie Smith’s black power salute of the 1968 games and the 11 Israeli athletes killed in Munich, 1972 Stonebridge Park Station. Opened in 1912 it now lies between Wembley Central and Harlesden on the Bakerloo Line and it is also on the London Overground into Euston. The original line was opened by the London and North Western railway in their New Line project. It was first used by Bakerloo line trains in 1917. The current station buildings replaced the originals which were destroyed by Second World War bombing excep

Wembley Brook - Wembley Lyon Park

Wembley Brook The Wembley Brook flows south eastwards Post to the north Wembley Central Post to the east Tokyngton Post to the south Alperton Dorothy Avenue Named after the builder's daughter Ealing Road Shops on the corner of Montrose Crescent are on the Site of The Regal Cinema. This was built for Associated British Cinemas and opened in 1937.   It was designed by ABC’s architect William R. Glen and had an entrance curving round the corner with a small fin tower. Inside on the walls was a panel with scenes of deer and antelope grazing. It was re-named ABC in 1962 and closed on 1976. In 1978 it was re-named Metro Cinema, playing Bollywood films. This closed in 1983 and the building was converted into a garage and was demolished in 1987. Wembley Central Masjid . The idea for this facility dates from the early 1980s when local Muslims bought a house which they soon outgrew and St. Andrews church was purchased. The church had been vacant for nearly 15 years and was list

River Brent - Stonebridge

River Brent The Brent flows south westwards and is joined by the Mitchell Brook from the east Post to the north Neasden Post to the east Willesden Post to the west Tokyngton Post to the south Harlesden Stonebridge Alric Avenue White Heather Laundry . Opened in 1904 by ‘some young university men’. It is said to have had the deepest artesian well in the UK dug in 1911. It is also said that a source of oil was found while the well was being bored. In 1947 some more serious investigations were undertaken. Garrard Jewelers in 1915 as part of the war effort formed The Garrard Engineering and Manufacturing Company Ltd and up in the premises the White Heather Laundry. At the end of the war Garrard continued started the production of small lathes and boring tools and motors for gramophones.   The White Heather Laundry wanted its premises back, and Garrard moved to Swindon. Alric Avenue Day Centre – Brent Council Centre with a number of associated and neighbouring projects. ie: Wis

Mitchell Brook Willesden

Mitchell Brook Mitchell Brook rises in this area and flows south west towards the Brent. It is joined by the Harlesden Brook from the east Post to the north Neasden Station Post to the west Stonebridge Bridge Road 38 Harmony Children’s Centre. Four pavilions with offices and a nursery.   By Greenhill Jenner 1955. Sure Start Centre, likely to close. Rail Bridge Mitchell Brook Primary School . The school was built during the Great War but has been added to over the years. Church End An old name for part of what was Willesden village. The church was in a dead end lane near the manor and a farm. Recorded as the ‘Church end’ in 1593. It was also known as as Crouch (Cross) End, and was on the edge of marshland. In the middle ages Willesden was owns by St. Paul's Cathedral and later by All Souls' College, Oxford, Westminster Abbey and St. Bartholomew's Hospital Church Road Church End and Roundwood Unity Centre built 2007 and provides recreational, educational and cul

River Brent - Neasden Works

River Brent The Brent flows south and is joined by the Wealdstone Brook from the west Post to the north Neasden Post to the west Wembley Stadium Post to the east Neasden Station Post to the south Stonebridge Besant Way Estate boiler house now in other use as an office. Canal Feeder This is a feeder canal to the Grand Union Canal built around 1811 taking water from the River Brent to the main canal in what is now Park Royal. It was gravity fed and followed the natural contours. After the Brent Reservoir was built in 1835 the feeder was supplied through a tunnel in the dam. Having run underground for some distance through the railway works and industrial sites the feeder runs in the open alongside the IKEA store Fourth Way British Empire Exhibition. Amusement Park . This ran down between Fourth Way and the boundary having also been along the northern boundary. It featured among other things: Tut’s Tomb - a reconstruction of the then recently discovered Tomb of Tutankhamen a

Wealdstone Brook - Wembley Park Station

Wealdstone Brook The brook flows south eastwards and north east Post to the north Barn Hill Post to the east Neasden Post to the west Wembley Park Post to the south Wembley Stadium Bridge Road Wembley Park Station . The station lies between Finchley Road and Preston Road on the Metropolitan Line and between Neasden and Kingsbury on the Jubilee Line.   The first station was opened in 1894 by the Metropolitan Railway to serve the pleasure grounds developed by the Company at Wembley Park - a country estate bought by them for excursion trips on the company's trains. It initially served only Saturday football matches in the park - In fact the first train to call there is said to have been a football special.   Later in the 1890s, The Great Central Railway London extension line was constructed adjacent to the Metropolitan Railways’ tracks but trains were not allowed to stop here although they pass under the building and there was no platform provided – the lines go straight throug