Posts

Showing posts from August, 2018

Wimbledon

Alexandra Road Wimbledon Traincare depot is a traction maintenance depot servicing primarily South Western Railway, on the South Western Main Line. It is of the busiest train maintenance depots in the country with an average of 250 train carriages being dealt with every night, and the team of around 170 depot staff. Wimbledon Magistrates Court and Youth Courts. Dates from 1985. Alternate Grove Footbridge. A footbridge goes from here at Dundonald Road. This goes along a section of what was the original Wimbledon and Croydon Railway. A building there was originally an aircraft hangar. It dates from 1918 when it stood at Newhaven Royal Naval Air Service station. I was re-erected here around 1923. Alwyne Road Christ Church . This was a Congregational church built in 1910. It was demolished in 1978.  It appeared to originate with a group who had left the Worple Road Church. Art College for Ladies . This was a Church of England College, established here in 1904. Beulah Road Back road

Highbury and Drayton Park

Post to the north Finsbury Park Post to the east (south west corner only) Aberdeen Park Post to the south (north east corner only) Highbury Corner Post to the south (north west corner only) Arundel Square Post to the south Islington Post to the West Holloway  Road Albany Place This was latterly used as an entrance to the council depot Mission Hall . The Albany Mission was formerly a day school dating from 1840. It was then a branch mission and Sunday School of the Holloway Chapel. In 1961 it closed and the site was acquired by the Council to extend their Cleansing Depot Methodist Chapel . The work of the Central Mission was transferred here in 1953 but this building was compulsorily purchased for slum clearance. Arvon Road Herb Garden . In 1985 residents of Arvon Road opened a herb garden planted with English herbs and other plants. Ashburton Grove The road has now disappeared under the Emirates Stadium. Before the Second World War it appears to have been lined with h

Dollis Hill

Anson Road 162 Gladstone Youth and Community Centre. Offers various activities including sports, nursery Judo, Irish dancing, weightwatchers, gym, Quran class, church, aerobic 156 St Gabriel’s Vicarage Burnley Road Houses built around 1908 developed by J C Hill & Co of Archway with a down payment of £10 76 art deco garage , likely to go into retail use. Chapter Road Dollis Hill Station .  Opened in 1909 this lies between Neasden and Willesden Green stations on the Jubilee Line. It was built by the Metropolitan Railway. In 1931 it was renamed ‘Dollis Hill and Gladstone Park’; in 1933 it was renamed ‘Dollis Hill’. In 1939 it was for rebuilt for Bakerloo Line services with “Modern" platform buildings when the London Passenger Transport Board opened a new section of twin tube tunnels between Baker Street and Finchley Road creating a branch to Stanmore. The Metropolitan Line service then closed.  In 1979 became a Jubilee Line station. Great Central Trains were not allowed to

Cyprus and Gallions

Post to the west Royal Albert Post to the north Beckton Post to the east Gallions Post to the south North Woolwich Albert Island This appears to be the land which lies between the Royal Albert Dock and the River – and the two entrances to the docks – one to the Royal Albert and one to the George V.  Anyway it is about to be regenerated! Basin Way Blocks of flats built on what were warehouses and railway lines. Cyprus Place Cyprus originated as a housing estate between Beckton and North Woolwich built from 1881. Its street names commemorate places in the news thus Cyprus Place. Cyprus, as the estate was called, was squalid development because of its lack of main drainage. Following bombing housing was replaced by pre-fabs. The area was later rebuilt. 40 The Ferndale . This is now a general store following conversion and a row with the planners. The pub dated from the 1880s and other shops stood alongside it. Trees and grass now lie between the road and the Docklands Li

Custom House

Post to the west Leamouth Post to the south Silvertown Post to the east Silvertown Post to the north Canning Town Bell Lane LA Lounge This was The Ram which stood at the junction with North Woolwich Road. “Unique high-end sophisticated ethnic themed venue. It features various stunning atmospheres”. This was the Ram Tavern and still retains an art deco Truman’s exterior. Has had a variety of names recently. Bradfield Road Playground Lyle Park Entrance – the park is in the square to the south. Boxley Street West Silvertown Board School . This opened in 1885 with an infants' department added later. It was extended until there were 1200 pupils in 1910. The school was wrecked in the 1917 Silvertown explosion but was repaired immediately.  In 1945 it became a school for juniors and infants and closed in 1962. As West Silvertown School. The address is also given as Evelyn Road – and a school appears to have continued here after 1962. It appears to be current site of Britann