Sunday, 27 May 2012

Stonebridge Brook - Haringey

Stonebridge Brook
The Stonebridge Brook flows eastwards through the area
The Hermitage Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway runs northeastwards from Crouch Hill Station and onwards from Haringay Green Lanes Station.

Post to the west Crouch End
Post to the east St.Ann's Road
Post to the south Finsbury Park

Allison Road.
Stone Bridge brook flowed from Weston Park to this area, until diverted by the railway depot. It passed under the Carriage Drive of Haringey House and was crossed by the original route of the New River.
Haringey House built in 1792 on a site which was between this and Beresford road on the summit of the hill. It replaced a Tudor mansion. Given the name of Haringey House. The estate was sold for development in the 1880s.
New River. Old course ran north of the present course to half way along.  It then ran south to present course in Warham Road

Cavendish Road
St.Paul’s Church Centre
Haringey Seventh Day Adventist Church
Telgraf Turkish media office

Colina Road
Tube ventilation shaft. The tube line from Manor House, descending passes this shaft which was equipped with two cased fans located in a special building with outlets 23ft above ground level

Fairfax Road
The Stonebridge Brook was diverted to the north here and flowed in a loop between this and Effingham Roads.

Great Northern Railway
The railway was carried across the Stonebridge Brook on a viaduct built in 1850 and another built in 1870. These both vanished under Ferme Yard.

Green Lanes
Stonebridge Brook. On reaching Green Lanes from a diverted route it flows south to reach Allison road and then flows east again.
Hermitage Brook flows under Green Lanes near the Beaconsfield pub.
594 BDC building with large frontage and forecourt sheds behinds.  Appears to have been the Oakwood Laundry.
Christ Crucified Risen and Exalted Church. Harringay Congregational Church had originated in 1891 and opened an iron church on land they had bought at the junction of Allison Road in 1894. A permanent church, was built and opened in 1902, including a hall and schoolrooms. In 1969 they united with Hornsey Church of Christ as Haringey United Church and in 1982, affiliated with the London Baptist Association.
Electric Coliseum Cinema. Built in 1912 on the corner of St Ann's Road. It included a stage for variety acts. The auditorium was decorated with gilded plaster moulding and had an organ, the first to be installed in a UK cinema. The Salon du Bal dance hall had a separate entrance in Salisbury Parade. The name changed to the Coliseum Cinema around 1930 for the talkies. In the late 1950s it was bought by the Newcastle-based Essoldo Company and in 1961 became a bingo hall. This closed in in 1977 and it became a furniture store. The dance hall became a popular gay nightclub called Bolts. The furniture store closed in the 1980s and the cinema section was disused. Bolts Nightclub also moved and that part became a bar. It was demolished and flats built using the name 'The Coliseum'. The organ is at Hall Place in Bexley in pieces.
Salisbury Hotel. Built 1898-9 by J. C. Hill. Brash Victorian pub on a grand scale: - curved corner, striped cupolas on polished granite columns, and a central tower with an iron crown. Inside joinery and glass, and Art Nouveau cut-glass mirrors, attributed to Cakebread Robey. Rooms on the first floor with ornate plaster ceilings.
The Old Ale Emporium. Was once a Wetherspoon's pub
Haringey Green Lanes Station.  Opened in 1880 it now lies between South Tottenham and Crouch Hill. It was originally opened as Green Lanes Station and in 1883 renamed Haringey Park, Green Lanes. In 1951 it was renamed Haringey Park. At first there were wooden platform buildings which were replaced by brick and concrete structures. In 1958 it was renamed Haringey Stadium. In 1990 renamed Haringey East, and in 1991 renamed Haringey Green Lanes. The original ticket office at street level survived and is used as a café.
Railway Fields. This was the goods yard on the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction Railway in 1868, probably mainly used for coal. The yard was closed in 1967 and in 1975 was acquired by Haringey Council for a community centre. In 1986 it was opened as a nature park. The brick surge tower at the end of Haringey Passage in Railway Fields, helped prevent the sewer overflowing. The Hermitage Brook passed through this area.
Beaconsfield Hotel. Ornate pub built in 1886 to designs by Alexander and Gibbon. The interior has been changed several times, most recently in 1981 by Courage.  However Victorian etched glass remains along with some original fittings.  It is named for Benjamin Disraeli, who was later Earl of Beaconsfield – some local roads are named for characters in Disraeli’s books

Haringey Gardens
The area east of Grand Parade was laid out by C.Hill on the site of St.John's Lodge Farm.

Haringay Passage
Alleyway which bisects the Ladder.  It follows the line of a sewer built in the early 1870s by Baldwin Latham for Hornsey Local Board. It was paved over as the housing was built in the 1860s.

Haringey – originally came from 'Haering's woodland enclosure'. As ‘Haringey’ it became the name of the station and the stadium in the 20th and in 1963 the name of the borough - which also included Wood Green, Tottenham and Hornsey.

Mattison Road
St.Augustine. Roman Catholic church adapted from a Primitive Methodist chapel of 1891 in1963 by Archard and Partners
South Haringey Junior School. Built as South Haringey Board School.  Swimming pool

Lothair Road
Hermitage Brook flowed along the line of this road.

Quernmore Road
Stroud Green Library.  Built in 1901, with detailed red brickwork.

Ferme Park Goods Yard.  This was built under the Great Northern Railway’s Act of 1882.  It is not clear why it was called Ferme Park which is the name of a local estate road. The Down Yard opened in 1887 with twelve double ended sidings and the Up Yard in 1889 also with twelve sidings.  In association with this additional lines were installed between the yard and Hornsey and Finsbury Park and the area was resignalled. In 1896 a viaduct was installed to facilitate internal workings.  Various changes took place in the yard over the next fifty years most traffic consisting of coal trains. A new engine shed was opened in 1899.   The yard was busy until the early 1960s when coal trains began to be sent elsewhere. Much of the infrastructure and buildings remain albeit in other use.
South Down signal box. The only box of its type in London. Built by Willmott and Sons in 1930 on elevated steel girders – and against an unstable retaining wall.  It was fitted with tannoy and had a 36 lever frame.  Taken out of use 1969.
North Down signal box. Built on a brick base and opened in 1893. Closed 1974.
Up Goods signal box. This was very tall to allow the signal man to see over adjacent bridges.

Seymour Road
New River emerges beside New River House. 

St Ann’s Road
Stonebridge brook flowed eastwards down this road

Umfreville Road
The Hermitage Brook followed the line of this road, passing under the New River.

Warham Road
New River. The old course ran eastwards, to the north of Allison Road, to about half-way along the road, swinging south to rejoin the present course here.

Wightman Road
Haringey Station. Opened as Haringey West in 1885 it lies between Hornsey and Finsbury Park stations on the Great Northern Railway. An agreement to build a station here was made between the British Land Company and the Great Northern Railway in 1884 in order to serve new housing in the area. The land company contributed £3,500 to the cost and bore the initial working costs of the station. The station, footbridge and a road bridge were built by S.W. Pattinson of Ruskington. It was initially to be called Harringay Park but was always called Harringay. It was called Harringay West from 1951, to 1971. A goods yard was also opened.  The footbridge was 300 feet long and went an approach road off Wightman Road to the site of Quernmore Road and a booking office was built on it, only the central part remains.  The 1885 booking office building was burnt down in the 1960s and replaced by a timber building still in use.
St Paul the Apostle. The first church here was an 'iron room' opened in 1883. In 1890 work began on a red brick church designed by George Michael Silley which could hold 900 people. There was a magnificent organ made by J.W. Walker and Sons. The font was marble with a war memorial to the Great War. The church was burnt down in 1984. It was rebuilt to a design described by Peter Jenkins as a megaron. This is a square room with a hearth and the projection of the side walls beyond the entrance to form a porch, made up of two triangular towers sheltering the main entrance door. The resulting entrance facade is surmounted by the hollow gable-end of an equilateral truss roof, designed by Michael Courtney of Ove Arup & Partners which acts as a wind girder to stabilize the whole structure.
London Shelton Hotel. This was the Railway Tavern


CAMRA North London web site
Cinema Theatres Association newsletter
Edmonton Hundred History Society 51,
Essex-Lopresti. Exploring the New River,
Field.  Place names of London
Friends of Railway Fields web site
Haringey Baptist web site
London Borough of Haringey web site
Haringey Cinemas web site
London Encyclopedia,
London Railway Record
New River Guide
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams
St.Augustine of Canterbury web site
St.Paul the Apostle web site
Stroud Green Junior School web site
Wikipedia – Haringey Station

Saturday, 26 May 2012

Waterworks River - Blackhorse Lane

Flood Relief Channel
The Flood Relief Channel, Waterworks River, flows southwards

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The Railway running from South Tottenha Station goes north eastwards
TQ 35756 89389

An area mainly taken up with reservoirs. Blackhorse Lane and Road are on the east side of the square with some 19th and 20th century housing - but with many old and interesting industrial sites - buses, batteries, toys, luggage, scientific instruments, aromatics, agricultural machinery, dry cleaning - it is a long and impressive list.

Post to the north Lockwood Reservoir
Post to the west Tottenham Hale
Post to the south Coppermills
Post to the east Walthamstow

Blackhorse Lane
Original name was Werdestreete. Saxon Road from north Walthamstow to Lea Bridge.  Black House stood in the road in the 18th, on the site of the Clock House, and was bought by the Warner family. Recorded as ‘Black Horse Lane’ but also ‘Block House Lane’ or ‘Black House Lane’.
Higham Hill Lodge. House dates from the early 19th and was home to Eusebius Lloyd in 1836
Baird and Tatlock. This firm was on the east side of the road where they took over Higham Hill Lodge. This was much altered and adapted in 1925 as the centre of a glass factory - It is said that a staircase and door remained in the 1970s. Baird and Tatlock were scientific instrument makers and laboratory furnishers, originally of Glasgow and then Hatton Garden who moved here in 1902. In 1959 they were taken over by Derbyshire Stone, later Tarmac, who in 1969 sold them to G. D. Searle and Co., U.S.A. and then Merck in 1978.  The area of the works is now part of the Webb Industrial Estate – the house still appears to be on site.
114a Blackhorse Lane studios. Barbican Arts Group Trust. The Studios opened in 2008 and 28 artists work there in a variety of media
London General Omnibus Company or LGOC was founded in 1855 to amalgamate and regulate the horse-drawn omnibus services in London. In 1910 they began producing motor omnibuses for their own use in Blackhorse Lane on a site taken over from the Vanguard Motor Omnibus Co. which had been set up by Arthur Salisbury Jones. By 1907 he had three hundred ‘Vanguard’ buses on London roads and he opened a new 30,000 square foot factory on the Hooker Lane site. From 1910, as LGOC, the buses made at the Walthamstow factory were made with the letters ‘LGOC´ cast into their radiator tanks. In 1912 they were bought by the Underground Group and the bus manufacturing elements went on to become the Associated Equipment Company. Their B type bus was more reliable than any other and by 1913 2,500 had been built – they were standardised and built of interchangeable parts. This bus hastened the demise of horse drawn buses and became a design benchmark for future buses. In the Great War many were used as troop carriers.  In 1927 the factory moved to Southall
Endurance works. S.Noton Suit Case Manufacturing Co. was on this site from 1929. They began as makers of 'Crown' luggage. Post war they made Noton Travel Goods including "Paxall" Expanders, and describing themselves as the 'World's Largest Makers of Travel Goods and Handbags'.
Lampshade Factory. 1930s
Achille Serre. The company was formed by French born Achille and Eugenie Serre who set up a company here in 1870 to ‘dry clean’ clothing with chemical solvents.  This continued by their son Eugene.  In the 1930’s they had about 400 outlets in the UK. At Blackhorse Lane they employed 1700 people. The factory was bombed and got into difficulties. It was bought by Portland Estates and the now redundant shops were taken over or closed.  They now did contract laundering and ‘bag wash’. The factory was equipped with the equipment for laundry work on a huge scale. However domestic washing machines were becoming universal and the factory closed.
Higham Place 1860s terraced housing.
Mills Equipment. Mills Equipment Company, Ltd. was founded in 1906. Its predecessor company was the Mills Woven Cartridge Belt Company of London. The Mills belt had first been used in in the Boer war and was initially a product from the United States. Mills webbing products were sold internationally to military outlets.  In the Second World War the Blackhorse Lane factory was bombed frequently. After the war they moved manufacture to Woking where they made a wide variety of items from their narrow woven fabrics, but were also major suppliers to the aircraft industry and continued to sell to foreign military.  They were also involved in the production of parachutes.
Ever Ready Batteries. This factory – one of many owned by the company in north London - was opened in 1933. It was built for the manufacture of radio high tension batteries and dry cells for electric torches. On the ground floor was a mill to crush raw manganese dioxide, and also production lines for the finished cells. They made batteries for many purposes, such as radios, hand torches, motor cars and cycles. The company was originally American selling novelties which set up a British company in 1901. They were eventually outsold by companies with newer technology
7 Gnome House. Hammond and Champness. Lift Manufacturers. Opened in 1905 by cousins Ernest Hammond and Harold Champness. They originally made hydraulic water lifts.
Blackhorse Mews. Trading estate area
Stepney Tyre and Rubber Co, 1919 -1958. Bombed 1940s
Highams Lodge Business Centre
Britian’s Toys. The firm started in the 1840s with a William Britian in Hornsey Rise. His son invented the hollow casting process for manufacturing toy soldiers which allowed them to replace German imports. They used a standard size which became universal.  After the Great War they diversified into farm models. In 1931 this range was moved to North Light Building in Blackhorse Lane. After the Second World War plastic began to pose a challenge as did new safety concerns about lead. In 1997 Britains was purchased by the Ertl Company
Boake Bush and Allen.  Boake had a factory in the 1860s in Stratford specialising in chemicals for breweries.  By the 1880s, in partnership with Roberts, they were making essences and essential oils for perfumery and diversifying on a number of sites. Following mergers and expansion by the 1960s this site had become the headquarters of Boake Roberts & Co.
H.T.B. Ltd., engineers of printers' sheet-feeding machines, was founded in 1923. In 1968 the company became a member of the Baird & Tatlock group.
W. B. Bawn and Co. Ltd., who made agricultural machinery moved here in 1940. The firm moved to Bury St. Edmund's in 1970, taking with them a life-size figure of a 17th naval helmsman, erected over the entrance.
Duroglass Ltd. The company was owned by Webb’s Crystal Glass Co.  In the 1930s were Lighting Glassware Specialists, Reflectors and Floodlights for all purposes. They were on site until the 1960s
The Royal Standard Pub. 19th pub used for many years as a music venue.  A race track is marked alongside it on 1920s maps.

Blackhorse Road
Blackhorse Road Station. The Tottenham and Forest Gate Joint railway built the first station to east of the present one in 1894 with an entrance on the east side of Blackhorse Road – now marked by a metal gate. Totally demolished.  
LMS goods yard – the old goods yard lies alongside Forest Road and to the south alongside Hawarden Road
Blackhorse Road Station This lies, over ground between Walthamstow Queens Road and South Tottenham, and underground between Walthamstow Central and Tottenham Hale on the Victoria Line. The line had originally been promoted by the Warner family in connection with their extensive development work in this area. The Victoria Line opened in 1968 and in 1981 the station was moved west to allow better interaction.   It is now a clerestory-lit box of dark brick. Fibreglass relief of a black stallion by David McFall
Dutch Place. 1870s terrace opposite the station
Early telephone box Junction with Ferry Lane and Forest Road

Clinton Avenue
Willowfield Humanities College.  Waltham Forest School.  The oldest parts of the present buildings were originally part of a primary school built around 1901. In the 1960s Willow field was opened as a Secondary Modern school and then from 1968, a Junior High School for students aged 11-14.  In 1986 opened as an 11-16 school.  In 1990 a building programme led to the construction of the South Wing designed by Van Heyningen and Haward. The old Blackhorse Infants School was demolished to create a new playground

Cornwallis Road
Cornwallis was the first name of Viscount Hawarden, Courtney Warner’s father in law.  It was also the name of one of his sons.

Courtney Road
Named after Courtney Warner, landowner

Edward Road
Edward was the name of one of Courtney Warner’s sons.
108 this house was the Courtney Stores. The green tiles and pub signage have been retained.

Ferry Lane
Bridge over the Waterworks River built by the Council in iron in 1904
Thames Water Walthamstow Fishery – reception point on the site of Ferry Lane Works.
Ferry Lane Works. This was built by the East London Water Company in 1894 as part of the development of the Walthamstow reservoirs. It includes “Marine House” Pumping station 1893-4 by WB. Bryan and there were also three filter beds.  A second steam turbine was installed in 1907 by the New River Company for pumping River Lee water into the New River at Stoke Newington.  The East London Water Works pumped water from here to Hornsey Wood and Haggar Lane.
Ferry Boat Inn. Partly 18th house with two storeys and later extensions. Thus is on the site of an older ferry house at the Lea crossing. This was a Mitchells and Butlers house but has been with Stonegate Pub Company since 2010

Forest Road
26 – 30 English Calico Ltd. was called Rael Brook Ltd. from 1955 and before that Sussman.  Came from Bishopsgate

Hawarden Road
This was the title of Courtney Warner’s father in law
Warner Estate Office - this has now been redeveloped
Memorial to Lt.Johnson, young American airman killed when his Spitfire crashed in the playing fields, missing housing. This is now in the Vestry House Museum.
Douglas Eyre Playing Fields. This belongs to London Playing Fields Foundation with a centre to the south.  Douglas Eyre was the man who set up the Foundation.

High Maynard reservoir
Built by the East London Water Company in 1870 under the company’s act of 1867 and following the buying out of commoners’ rights. It receives water from Keids Weir through Chingford Mill. It is known for cormorant roosts on islands within the reservoir.

Hookers Road
Trading estate and industrial units.
Peter Hooker. Named after Hooker’s printers’ engineers who there from 1901.  They closed in 1921 and eventually became part of Armstrong Siddley. They had originally been part of Gnome and le Rhone Engine Co. – a French company making some of the earliest rotary engines. 
Empire Works, Micanite and Insulators Co. Moved here in 1902 from Stanstead and the works were extended several times subsequently. They produced mica for electrical purposes.
Tyre and Rubber Co 1919-1958
Sutton Works. T.J.Wright pattern card makers 1902-1954. Bombed 1940s

Lloyd Road
Arthur Lloyd was the first Managing Director of the Warner Company

Lockwood Reservoir

Lockwood Way
Industrial and trading units

Low Maynard Reservoir
Built by the East London Water Company in 1870 under the company’s act of 1867 and following the buying out of commoners’ rights. It receives water from the High Maynard Reservoir.

Priestly Way
Industrial and trading units

Reservoir No.2.
Built by the East London Water Company in 1863 under their Act of 1853.  It is low level, has one island and holds 31,000,000. The water came from their intake was at Keids Weir via Chingford Mill.

Reservoir No.4
Built by the East London Water Company in 1866 under their Act of 1853.  It is high level, and holds 130,000,000 . The water came from their intake was at Keids Weir via Chingford Mill

Sutherland road
Industrial and trading units

Wickford Way
Industrial and trading units


Achille Serre web site
AEC web site
Britians web site
Day, London Underground
Ever Ready web site
Forgotten Stations of London
Grace’s Guide web site
LGOC web site
London Playing fields web site
London’s Water Supply. MWB
Mills web site
Morris. Archives of the Chemical Industry
Plummer & Bowater. Courtney Warner and the Warner Estate
Victoria County History. Essex
Willowfield School web site

Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Lee, Pymmes, Moselle - Tottenham Hale

River Lee, Pymmes Brook, Moselle River
The River Lee and the Lea Navigation continue to flow southwards, and are met from the north east by Pymmes Brook.  Moselle River flows in a convoluted course south and east – and is here called the ‘old’ Moselle

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway running from South Tottenham Station goes north eastwards

Post to the north Tottenham
Post to the east Blackhorse Lane
Post to the south Markhouse

Antill Road
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church built for a group of six young German bakers. In the early 1890’s a group of German Lutheran immigrants six young German bakers wrote to Concordia Seminary in Missouri, asking for a pastor. Initially this was in Camden. In 1898 a second preaching station and Sunday School was established which developed into a congregation and in 1900 they opened a Christian Day School, and a church at 53 Antill Road.

Ashley Road
Lee Valley Technopark
18 Restore Community Project
Eagle Pencil works. The Company was founded by Daniel Berolzheimer, a Bavarian who opened Yonkers in the U.S.A. in 1894 a London office was opened and the Tottenham plant became operational in 1907. In the Second World War the factory produced military equipment but Pencil manufacture restarted in 1946. There were a number of take overs of other companies and a diversification of product so in 1969 the name changes to Berol Limited. All pencil production was consolidated at Tottenham and senior management was also there. However from 1978 there was a gradual move to Kings Lynn. The works closed in 1992
Ever Ready. The company had several sites in the Tottenham area. The company was called Berec – taken over by Hanson in the early 1980s and closed down.  They were on the site here of what had been a woollen factory.
Cannon Advent building, Futon Company who introduced the futon to Europe in 2000 and is now the world's largest producer of futons
Cannon Street Jersey Fabrics. Established in 1968 as a knitted fabric manufacturer.

Broad Lane
The old Moselle ran south from The Hale here staying east of Markfield Road. This stretch was open in the 1920s.
Gestetner Works. David Gestetner, was a Hungarian who came to London in 1859 and patented a copying machine. He set up the Gestetner Cyclograph Company to produce duplicating machines, stencils, styli, ink rollers and related products. The works opened in 1906 and became the centre of an international chain.  The company passed through the Gestetner family and was sold to a Japanese firm in 1996.  The site is now a trading and retail estate
Boot and shoe factory in the 1950s north of the Gestetner Works
Bicycle factory 1900s south of the Gestetner Works
St. Peter. A mission hall was built by the Drapers' Company in 1884 to serve the area. The church of St. Peter was opened in 1900. It was in brick and designed by J. S. Alder. It was bombed and restored but closed c.1970. There is now housing on the site
Springfield Hall. People’s Christian Fellowship Hall – with a famous gospel choir. They have been in the building since the mid-1970s.
Mannions - Prince Arthur pub

Chesnut Road
The old Moselle turned eastwards here; the line of the old Moselle can be seen on the line of conifers at the boundary of the flats. The river was joined by the drain with effluent from the rubber works near the junction with The Hale.
131 The Volunteer pub
Welbourne Community Centre

Dawlish Road
The old Moselle ran southwards near this road

Fawley road
J.M.Kronheim & Co. colour printers from the late 19th.  Kronheim had a licence for the Baxter colour print process which are now collectors’ items

Ferry Lane,
Tottenham Lock. These were originally built in 1776 and then resited in 1845. They were doubled in 1960. They were originally sited below the mill so as not to interfere with water flow and they were originally alongside the mill so it was called Tottenham Mills Lock until 1877
Ferry Lane Wharf. This handled timber in the 1950s and has been a trading estate since – although the name has been applied to other sites.
Bridge. This was  rebuilt in 1760 using money from tolls and it  was again repaired in the 1850s.  The East London Water Company bought out the ferry and the tolls in 1869 and the City of London took over responsibility in 1877.  A New bridge was buitr in 1915 slightly downstream
Paddock Nature Park. It was originally a water meadow which became a sports field and then a dump. There is a raised circular viewing platform giving a view of the two Maynard Reservoirs to the east
Victoria Line ventilation shaft
Hale Garage. Used by private buses in the 1930s. This later became Reg Powell’s, including an old garage yard and workshop.
Harrison Lebus factory site.  They were the largest furniture manufacturers in the world and ‘Lebus’ meant quality and affordability. In the 1840s Louis Lebus, a cabinet-maker, came to Britain from Breslau. He settled in Hull before coming to London in 1857 and opened a Whitechapel furniture workshop and in 1875 moved to larger premises in Stepney. His son Harris Lebus took over in 1879. By 1885 the firm was in soon becoming the largest furniture manufacturer in Britain, with a workforce of 1,000 people. In 1900 the works moved to Tottenham where a market garden site was acquired alongside the Lea, where wood could be barged from the London Docks – and the factory included drying and seasoning sheds. There was also a saw mill – and other departments included a design team. In two world wars Lebus factory made aircraft – in 1917 they made the Handley Page 0100, V1500 bi-planes and the Vickers-Vimy monoplane. In the Second World War they made the Albemarle bomber, the Hotspur Glider and the Mosquito. They also built replica Sherman tanks out of wood. From 1941 Lebus produced Utility furniture. There were extensive underground shelters for the staff built in 1939 to house 6,000 workers during air raids. The network, of twelve tunnel shelters of pre-cast concrete sections extends to an estimated 2.5km.The tunnels form pairs with interconnecting passages, access areas and vent shafts.  Post war demand for furniture was high and the firm turned to mass production methods, However as family members died the firm became less productive and eventually closed. The site was sold to the GLC – the Ferry Lane Estate is on the south portion, and the north became the GLCs supplies department.
GLC Supplies Department. The department was responsible for buying all goods and services for the Greater London Council, which included the majority of schools in London as well as many other areas of local government. The motor transport division which was responsible for repairing and maintaining over 1,000 different vehicles
Four trolley bus traction standards. These are unique relics because they do not stand at the edge of the footpath. They are outside the parapet bridge structure, rising straight out of the ground thus being about 12ft taller than usual.
Giant Gillette. Street light. Built as a "signature" feature near the borough  

Fountayne road
Imperial works. This was the works of Mills Equipment Co., Ltd. who made military webbing. Now one unit is The Celestial Church Of Christ Hephzibah Parish
7  Ros John reproduction 18th furniture makers
Tudor Leaf Centre - this and some other trading estate sites in the area were part of the Basildon Works.
Basildon Works – This was the home of Millington stationery firm, who invented the Basildon Bond brand – a form of high quality water marked writing paper.  Millington’s were founded in 1824 by William Leschallas, a paper and rag dealer in Bishopsgate. They began with ready folded and then became a major manufacturer of envelopes using the first high-speed rotary machines in the country. From 1896 they made strong and in 1905 the OUTLOOK envelope – the earliest window envelope. A factory was built at Tottenham in 1903. This was linked to the railway but inside the works transport was undertaken by a horse called Peter. 
John Dickinson and Co., merged with Millington in 1918, transferred its London warehouse to the enlarged Basildon works, formerly Crowne works. Basildon works was bombed and many employees moved to Dickinson’s main works at Apsley. They were still there in the 1980s.
4 Loewe Radio Co. There in the 1920s  

Hale Gardens
Housing. Site of a post war showpiece estate by Tottenham Borough council plus a 19th terrace which survived redevelopment.
Warren Court nine storey tower. The centrepiece of the 1956 development –

High Cross Road
This is now curtailed and by passed by Monument Way
162 housing in a building which was the City Arms pub,
Hostel and development. Existing buildings on the site were demolished and spoil used for an ‘Environmental Bund’ - two storeys high with planting on its northern slope. Behind the bund a courtyard development of 14 houses, a care home and a four storey hostel
Welbourne Primary School

Holcombe Road
The Old Moselle crosses the eastern end

Jarrow Lane
The Willows Nature Reserve on old railway land
Ferry Lane Estate. GLC estate on the site of some of the Harris Lebus site. Low-rise housing in terraces and flats

Lockwood reservoir
Valve tower

Markfield Road
The old Moselle ran to here from Broad Lane and crossed under a yard between here and Fountayne Road.

Mill Mead Road
Now running to a series of trading estates, some on an old sports ground.

Mitchley Road
A drain ran along the north side of the road in the 19th bringing effluent from the rubber works and elsewhere into the Moselle
Mission Room Built in 1910 as a daughter church and Sunday School for the Church of St Mary the Virgin.

Old River Lea
France Weir. This was in place in the 17th and 18th~ ~      
Tottenham or Hilliard’s Turnpike in place, 16th and 17th. This included a weir and a fishery.

Park View Road
The drain from the rubber works ran south along here to the Moselle. In 1968 water from the Moselle in this area was culverted from a junction with Scales Road into Pymmes Brook.

Gospel Oak-Barking Line. The old Moselle runs under this from Markfield Road
Tottenham and Forest Gate railway. The old Moselle runs under this from Markfield Road

Scales Road
The line of the old Moselle follows the back garden walls on the south side of the road

Station Road
The road used to access the station but is now cut off by Monument Way
Tottenham Hale Station. This station stands at a crucial point between a number of rail and tube line to which it acts as an interchange.  It was built by the Northern and Eastern Railway and opened in 1840 as Tottenham Station.  In 1969 the Victoria Line was opened next to the Eastern Region Line, with escalators to the Cambridge Line and to Ferry Lane. It thus provides a link between the underground system and BR Liverpool Street and is also used by Stansted Airport trains. It was rebuilt in a white-painted steelwork, with glass walls and silver aluminium roof sheeting'. The waiting room, a buffet, shop, toilets, etc are in a curved building which includes painted friezes by Bruce McLean and three sculptures – Tower of Time, Bridge of Sighs, and Path of the People

Tamar Way
This footpath covers the course of the Old Moselle

The Hale
The Old Moselle ran along the east side of this road from Chestnut Road to High Cross Road and then going south into Broad Lane
Tottenham Hale began as a hamlet by the River Lee.  There was a paper mill in the late 18TH but nursery gardens remained,. It became overwhelmingly industrial in the early 20th since replaced by retail and light industrial units
51 White Hart Pub

Baxter web site
Berol history web site
Crocker Gunpowder Gazetteer
Day, London Underground
Dickinson web site
English Lutheran Church web site
Gestetner History web site
Graces Guide web site
Industrial Archaeology Review 
Lea Valley Walk
Lebus web site
London’s Water Supply, Metropolitan Water Board
Middlesex Churches,
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Smyth City Wildspace
Victoria County History. Essex,

Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Moselle River - Tottenham

Moselle River
The Moselle is joined by the Lesser Moselle from the North West and flows north eastwards and then turns abruptly south.

Post to the south Tottenham
Post to the west White Hart Lane
Post to the north Tanners End

Allington Avenue
Locally authority housing with a semi-circle of dwellings at the northern end surmounted by a clock tower.

Altair Close
Stellar House. 19 storey 1960s blockcourt

Beaufoy Road
39-51 Sir William Staines’ Almshouses founded in St.Giles Cripplegate and moved here in 1868. Houses arranged a secluded garden, with metal boundary railings and gates.  They were originally built in 1868 by Sir William Staines, a former Lord Mayor as Alderman Staines Almshouses. The Cripplegate almshouses were demolished in 1864 for the Metropolitan Railway line. There is a central plaque with the arms and name of the benefactor.
William Atkinson House. Post war flats following Second World War bombing
William Rainbird House. Set behind a grassed courtyard.
25- 37 terrace of 19th houses built in brick
Prospect Place. 1-10 pairs of semi-detached cottages built in 1822. A stone panel reads ‘Prospect Place 1822’ and there are still iron railings
Cemetery entrance with ornate stone gate piers.

Bigbury Close
Site of Rectory Farm
Sheltered housing area

Brantwood Road
Bungalow with '1925' over the front door

Brereton Road
St Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Infant and Junior School. The school for boys, girls, and infants opened in 1827 close to a new church in Chapel Place. It was rebuilt in 1858 and then moved to the current site in 1882. The original building is now the Parish Hall. In the Second Wrold War the school was used the air raid shelters beneath the church and in the convent. The convent was bombed and in 1945 a separate girls school there was taken over in 1945.

Brunswick Square
Industrial and trading area
Brook house. House in its own grounds, there until the early 1950s.
British Road Services Parcel Depot.

Bull Lane
Bull Lane Playing Fields – owned by Tottenham Council these are the other side of the Enfield border.  Subject to a long running dispute on future use.
MQ Metal Fabrication, founded by Arnold Poulton in 1962 to make metal medical equipment. The company is now run by Arnold's son and grandson
Greenwood House. Alexander George Ley. Making decorative frames in an Art Deco building. Ley started work on this in 1957.
Keitman telephone manufacture in the 1930s

Carrick Gardens
The Moselle River flowed here in a loop from Bennington Road but is culverted

Cemetery Road
Cemetery. The Moselle and Lesser Moselle meeting in the cemetery south of the lake. The Moselle in a culvert and the Lesser Moselle is open.
Cemetery Gates dated 1858. Ornate gate piers, cast iron gates and railings of Tottenham Cemetery which date from 1858
Community Centre. One-storey building by Colquhoun Miller.
158A Church Road. Built in the rear garden of 158, a late 20th detached house
1-5 19th terrace of cottages in London stock brick.
8 -10 the remaining two of a terrace of five double fronted 19th houses. The others were bombed and prefabs built on their sites, now gone.

Chapel Place
Chapel and Pastors House. Chapel was dedicated to St. Francis of Sales and was built for the Baroness de Montesquieu. A Roman Catholic chapel had been opened in Tottenham in the late 18th by French émigrés. This was rebuilt in Chapel Place in 1826 plus a school. In 1882 the school moved away and the chapel was sold, becoming a clothing factory. The congregation moved to the new Church of Francis de Sales in the High street.
Living Word Temple now has premises in Chapel Place

Church Path
The public footpath goes through the cemetery
Tunnel which connects east and west parts of the Cemetery. It was opened in 1883 – as shown on date plaques. It consist of walls with gate piers and wrought-iron railings lining a path that dips under the public footpath which footpath is carried on an arch with stepped gables to either side

Commercial Road
Furniture, engineering and other works there in the 1930s. These include a Tudor Works, and a Hope works
30 S.Green Perseverance works. The firm dates from before the Second World War and specialises in linens and household textiles. The factory building probably dates from the late 1920s and built for F.J.Baxter, a cabinet maker who came here from the east end.
31 Empee Silk Fabrics, moved to Edmonton after 150 years in the east end. M. Courts, sewing sundries, haberdashery etc, moved here in 2002 after 100 years in the east end.  The building was presumably purpose built for an earlier industry.

Durban Road
Part of an area once known as Little Russia – and with a reputation of being very rough and tough.

Gretton Road
Low rise housing low-rise housing built by Haringey Architect's Department 1971

Grove Street
Edmonton County Court. Built in 1940 with a plaque with the county coat of arms over the main door.
Edmonton Temple (Universal Prayer Group Ministries), 1975. Polygonal, with angular clerestory windows below a shallow pitched roof.

Langhenge Road
The name is an old field name, and it has been supposed that this is the original line of Ermine Street.
Flats – local authority blocks built following compulsory purchases in the 1960s.
Congregational Chapel.  In when John Snell's house was sold in 1848, the Independents bought some of  its the site of his and built a  new chapel but there were problems over lectures and some of the congregation opened another chapel in the 1870s. However the two lots reunited and in 1959 moved to the other chapel. This one was sold to the council in 1965 and demolished.
Industrial Estate on old factory site. This was a nursery area in the 19th with industrial uses in the 20th

Larkspur Close
Secluded old peoples housing

Lorenco Road
This road was north of and parallel to Durban Road and part of the same area. Assume that some of it is now the east/west line of Commercial Road. The road was demolished in the 1870s for redevelopment.

Love Lane
Jones Baker Engineering Co. Structural steel and metalworks
British Queen. 19th pub rebuilt in the 20th. Has had its problems.

Northumberland Park
2 single storey block in brick with decorative stone.  Industrial premises behind.
4-6 houses dated to 1903 and designs over the windows.

Park Lane
This was once called Marsh Lane
2 -4 17th cottages built of brick, with ground floor shop windows.

Paxton Road
Paxton Hall – 19th.
Archway Sheet Metal. Making catering equipment and run by the Josif family.
Jehovah’s Witnesses Kingdom Hall

Pretoria Road
Industrial and trading units
Pretoria shoe works 1930s
Tevekkeli sports club
78 Kelan house. Clothing manufacturer in 1930s built warehouse
Halls floorings. Carpeting wholesaler

Queen Street
Engineering works 1950s furniture 1930s
Frontier Works, Ceramatech opened in 1988 and on this site since 1990. They provide supplies to potters – schools, colleges and professionals. They do clays, glazes, tools & equipment including kilns.

Snells Park
This was originally called Park Road and was later named for John Snell who had a house here.
Boundary Hall – for Snells Park Tenants Association

Shaftsbury Road
Mineral Water works in the 1930s
Paint works in the 1930s

Tottenham High Road
Has at its end a scattering of sub Georgian houses, from the time when the village, side was set back a little; the characteristic type is of three tall storeys above a basement.
The Moselle runs down the street from White Hart Lane southwards unmade the wide pavement on the west side,
White Hart Lane junction. In the 17th the Moselle reached here and was the boundary of Crook’s Farm. Home of the Barkham family.
Horse trough
881 Cannon Factory. Large factory building, with north-light roofs, still in use by Cannon - their principal product being rubber mats for car interiors.  Cannon Rubber Manufacturers Ltd were founded in 1936 by David Atkin. It was originally a general rubber goods company producing thing like hot water bottles, rubber shoe soles and natural rubber baby bottle teats. They took over Brook House, in 1955 where they also began to specialise in car mats
860-862 Coach and Horses Pub. 19th brick building. Sells Irish crisps
867-869 18th brick houses
841-843 Bootlaces. This was the Chequers Pub. Edwardian Tudor style building. Now a fast food restaurant.
819-829 La Royal Banqueting suites – some of the buildings are 18th
816-822 19th brick buildings with shop fronts on the ground floor.  818 has a grand front. There is also a passageway through to a stable block behind.
814 19th brick corner building currently used as a bookie.
810 house built 1715 as a merchant's house.  One of the longest-running and most intractable cases it had been left derelict since the 1980s.
808 survival of 18th commuter housing
801-803 Bricklayers Pub.
744 Warmington House. Early 19th house used as offices.
746 Tottenham and Edmonton Dispensary. Edwardian building with a stone ground floor. Disused.
748 The Red House. 19th building. At one time this had a projecting clock and a golden cock – but these have been removed for safety reasons by the football club.
750 Valentinos. This was the White Hart pub. 19th building.
759 Tottenham Health Centre. This was the Whitehall Tavern and later Lucky O’Shaunessey’s Pub.
Kathleen Ferrier House. This block of 20th flats which included the Coombes Croft public library and with a relief of sheep to illustrate Coombes Croft farm. Remodelled and reopened 2010.
793-795 William Hill bookmaker. This was built as a 19th National Westminster Bank and for a while was the Cockerel Pub,
796 Percy House, late 17th
794-782 Northumberland Terrace built for Robert Plimpton a timber merchant on the site of the Black House, medieval house of the Duke of Northumberland sold off by its 18th owner. Original interiors
790 Dial House. This may date from 1691, which is on the sundial mounted on a chimney. It was partly reconstructed in 1982 but much which is original survives.
St. Francis of Sales. Roman Catholic brick Church built in 1895 by Sinott and Powell.
729 Presbytery – brick house with a nice garden.

Union Row
This road is now part of Florence Hayes Recreation Ground. She was a local head teacher.
The Ragged and Industrial Home. This was opened on the Tottenham side of the boundary in 1862 by Lord Shaftesbury, plus a wing where orphans could learn printing. The school moved to Pembroke House in High Road in 1878, and the old building was auctioned
Lesney Toys.  Leslie Smith and Rodney Smith took over a condemned Public House called 'The Rifleman' Using their de-mob money.  John William Odell had trained as an engineer and after the war bought for £60, six ex-Army hands operated diecasting machines. They wanted to make diecast components but were unable to do so. They began to make dart boards and toys – and then developed the toy side of their manufactures.  In 1949 they left the Rifleman and it was demolished.
Dye Works – dealing with hides and skins

Waggon Lane
This is now a footpath through the back of Brantwood Road. Also called Waggon Horse Lane

White Hart Lane
White Hart Lane Station. Opened in 1872 it lies Between Silver Street and Bruce Grove stations. In the 1950s extra wide doors were fitted to deal with the football crowds and in 1962 a special gated entrance installed for them on the down side. The station was burnt down in 1977 and the Ticket hall and entrances rebuilt on the up side with special steel staircases.  Some original canopies remain.
Goods yard closed in 1968 to become a coal depot in 1978. On the up side
Railway Bridge of the Great Eastern Railway
2, 4, 6a cottages 19th
7 a stuccoed house 1840
32-34 The Grange early 18th. Building restored in 1985, and used by Haringey Council’s home care service. 19th wings may have been stable blocks and other service buildings.
Railway Tavern. Gaunt with terracotta comer gable dated 1895. Now closed
Haringey Sixth Form Centre on the Middlesex university site.
Tottenham Grammar School. This may date back go 1456 and there are records which show there were schoolmasters here through the 16th and 17th. New premises were built in the late 17th following a bequest from Sarah, Duchess of Somerset. New school buildings were provided in the mid 19th and in the early 20th.  In 1938 a new school was built in Creighton Road and White Hart lane. It was in Jacobean style with an oak - beamed paneled Hall. It was opened by the Duke of Somerset. After the Second World War an organ was installed as a war memorial and a memorial stone erected on the sports field. A new wing was built in 1950 – the school had laboratories, a library, and woodwork rooms, etc. The extensions were designed by D.R. Duncan, under the direction of Whitfield Lewis, the County Architect In 1967 as part of comprehensivisation the school was amalgamated with Rowland Hill Secondary Modern School to form the Somerset School. Following a fire this school was closed for a while and in 1987 it was closed and eventually demolished. The site was used for housing and part was sold to Middlesex University as a campus and accommodation.
St. Katherine’s College for Training School Mistresses. Opened 1878, In 1964 they united with Berridge House, from Hampstead to form The College of All Saints, a Church of England institution..  They joined Middlesex Polytechnic in 1978, becoming Middlesex University in 1992.  The campus had schools of was humanities and cultural studies, business studies, law, sociology and women's studies. It closed in 2005 but The College of All Saints Foundation continues as the All Saints Educational Trust
Middlesex University Tottenham Campus. On the site and the Remains of Tottenham Grammar School. The university was established here in 1994-5. Teaching and administrative offices were in much altered school buildings. Student housing was in striped brick with pantiled roofs, on the site of the 1930s Grammar School, from which the railings remained. The university itself was made up of a number of constituent colleges.
New River. must have crossed White Hart Lane near the old school towards Ewart Grove and its old course could have been along the curved garden backs behind Ewart Grove but it seems more likely that it occupied what is now the open green strip between Stuart Crescent and the High Road. 


Archway Sheet Metal web site
British Listed Building web site
Ceramatech web site
Cinema and Theatre Association Newsletter
Clunn. The Face of London,
Dead Pubs web site
Empee web site
Essex Lopresti. Exploring the New River
Field. London Place Names
Grace's Guide web site

History of Edmonton web site

History of Tottenham web site
Lesney Toys web site

Ley frames web site

London Borough of Enfield web site
London Borough of Haringey web site
London Railway Record
MQ Metal web site

Pevsner and Cherry. London North

Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s hidden streams
S.Green web site
St. Francis de Sales school web site
Stevenson, Middlesex.
Tottenham Grammar School web site
Walford.  Highgate to the Lea