Posts

Showing posts from November, 2013

River Misbourne Denham

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards TQ 04433 86815 Attractive village centre in upmarket area Post to the north Denham Post to the east Denham Lock Post to the south Denham Roundabout Post to the west Redhill Denham Ashmead Lane Formerly called Back Lane and Love Lane Hancock’s Mead . This was water-meadow between here and the Misbourne. Medieval remains include extensive earthworks and a channel from the Misbourne to a pond.  The earthworks seem to be a curved pattern of channels, natural or dug out in a sequence of ponds. A Bronze Age sword was recovered from one of the man-made channels Denham Court Drive Denham Court . This is an 18th manor house but there has been a settlement here since the Saxons and a moated house was here since the 14th, however polished Neolithic axes have been recovered from the mill stream.  It had a number of owners though the Middle Ages including Eleanor, wife of Edward II. The manor later passed to Westminster Abbey and at

River Misbourne. Denham Place

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards TQ 0378287628 Posh village with Big House and estate in posh area Post to the east Denham Post to the west Higher Denham Post to the south Denham Small Holdings Post to the south not done Denham Avenue Denham Place . In the middle ages this estate was owned by Westminster Abbey and subsequent owners. In the 17th Roger Hill, rebuilt the house surrounding it with formal gardens, sculptures and a canal. In 1742 the estate passed to the Way family and the formal gardens were removed in the 1770s, apart from the walled garden and a pond. It was replaced by a lake and a landscaped park. The estate was sold in 1980 and converted to offices Denham Place . The house is in the centre of the estate. It is in an H-plan. It has Furniture,   porcelain, plaster-work and s panelling of high quality. Captain Cook stayed here, as did Lucien and Joseph Bonaparte. The stables are said to be 17th and in red brick building round a three sided

River Misbourne - Higher Denham

River Misbourne. The Misbourne flows eastwards Post to the north not done Post to the west Tatling End Post to the east Denham Place Post to the south Denham Redhill Amersham Road Transco Gas Holder Station . In the 1930s gas was supplied to Gerrards Cross and Chalfont St Peter by the Uxbridge Gas Company. It is now part of Transco plc Bakers Wood Private gated estate surrounding woodland Broken Gate Lane Doggett Farm Road Doggets Farm was obliterated by the railway which was built over its site in 1906 Lower Road The road and the others in Higher Denham were part of a First World War military transit camp, sold off piece meal in plots at peace. Higher Denham Community Centre Martin's Aircraft Works. This was originally set up in 1917 to house schools of military aronautics. and became a factory in 1929.   was founded by aircraft manufacturer James Martin in 1934. The factory had been established in 1929 and four aircraft prototypes were produced: here James Ma

River Misbourne Tatling End

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards Post to the north Oakend Post to the east Higher Denham Post to the south Alderbourne Post to the west Gerrard Cross Dukes Wood Amersham Road The A413 goes from Tatling end to Silverstone. On this stretch it leaves the A40 Oxford Road and continues  as a rural dual carriageway with a central reservation and lay-bys, the road's -  showing its former trunk status It After passes under the M25, Gerrards Cross Sewage Treatment works . This dates from the early 1920s and was built by Eton Rural District Council for Gerrards Cross . Gallows Wood Little Gallows Wood Mill Wood M25 The M25 crosses the Amersham Road and goes under the Oxford Road. Old Amersham Road Milestone Oxford Road This is the A40, is a major road that runs between London and Fishguard. Going via Oxford this stretch is called ‘Oxford Road’. Tatling End – the name of the hamlet at the cross roads of the Oxford Road and the Amersham Road Gerrard

River Misbourne Oakend

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards Post to the north Chalfont Park Post to the south Tatling End Post to the west Gerrards Cross Post to the east not done Amersham Road A413 The A413 is a major road in England that links Gerrards Cross to Towcester. The layout at its southern end reflects its former trunk status. M25 crosses the road Railway viaduct. Carrying the Chiltern Main Line over the Misbourne valley, built by Pauling & Co. of Westminster in 1903 as part of the Northolt to High Wycombe section of the Great Western & Great Central Joint Line Denham Marsh Wood M25 Footbridge Crossed by the Denham Marsh Wood footbridge Mill Lane This was once known as Hollow Way. Railway bridge over a deep cutting built by Pauling in 1903 on the Great Western & Great Central Joint Line Oakend Oakend House            Oakend Wood Oak Hill Lane Over the Misbourne Isle of Wight Farm .  Purchased by the County Council in 1939 to save it from development.

River Misbourne Chalfont Park

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows southwards TQ 01367 89899 Big houses now in other use in area which is generally pretty posh Post to the west Orchehill Post to the south Oakend Post to the north Denham Lane Post to the east not done Chalfont Park The estate was once part of Brudenell’s Manor in the 15 th .   Following the Civil War they became Crown property and in 1688 passed to George (Judge) Jeffries. By the mid-18 th it was owned by members of the Churchill family and Charles Churchill commissioned John Chute to rebuild the house in Strawberry Hill Gothic style.   The estate was sold to the Hibbert family in 1794 and changes to the house were made by John Nash.   More changes were made by Anthony Salvin in the mid 19 th . The house passed through a succession of other owners eventually becoming a hotel. It later was a technical centre for British Aluminium and Citrix Systems.   The house is cement rendered with battlemented parapets and has a central porch flanked

River Misbourne - Gerrards Cross Orchehill

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards Post to the north Chalfont St.Peter Post to the east Chalfont Park Post to the south Gerrards Cross  - Gerrards Cross Station Post to the west Gerrards Cross  Austenwood Amersham Road This dual carriageway was built in the late 1960s Austenway Part of the area of the Orchehill Estate laid out 1906. Many homes built by the Circle Land Trust. Chalfont Park Cricket Ground and Pavilion . The club played at Gold Hill Common until the early 1920s, when they moved to Chalfont Park. The ground had been created by Lady Edgar, for her staff. The first clubhouse Chalfont Park was built in 1935. Lady Edgar remained owner 1955 and then the freehold was put up for sale.  It was thus bought by the club. By The 1990s then club house was deteriorating and in 2000, was burnt down. The squash court survived but as the squash section had closed down the insurance money paid for a new clubhouse in it, opened 2001. Gerrards Cross Golf Clubho

River Misbourne. Chalfont St.Peter

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows southwards   TQ 00044 90743 Central area of posh village Post to the north Chalfont St.Peter Post to the south Orchehill Gravel Hill This dual carriageway was built to bypass the centre of Chalfont St Peter in the late 1960s. Youth Centre . After the Second World War it was felt that something should be done for young people returning from it and a tithe barn converted into a meeting place. The 16 th barn was hidden in Swan Bottom Lane and it was then purchased by the County Council. Swan Bottom Farm was the farm for Chalfont Park and the land was under development as Chalfont Heights estate; the barn was in what was to become Sandy Rise. It was completed as a centre by 1946. A craft room was added in 1958 and a games room in 1964. Other amenities – a stage, a kitchen – have also been added including outside sports facilities. A warden’s bungalow was built in the early 1970’s. High Street Chalfont St Peter Perhaps rather less interest

River Misbourne Chalfont St.Peters

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south-eastwards TQ 00044 90743 Even posher area of posh village Post to the west Chalfont St.Peters Post to the south Chalfont St.Peter Copthall Lane Houses built here from the 1920s Waggon and Horses Pub Denham Lane Robertswood School . This was previously Cheena School.   In 1983 Gravel Hill First, Gravel Hill Middle Schools joined it to become Robertswood Combined School. In the 1920s this was the site of White Lodge – which is assumed to be the house still on site. This later became the home of Sir S.H.Freemantle who had been a distinguished British official and author in the Indian Subcontinent. During his occupation the house became ‘Cheena House’ – Cheena being a village in what is now Pakistan. Cheena Meadow - Recreation ground and Community Orchard Garners Road Gravel Hill Primary School . The site of the school is now Scholars Walk Gravel Hill 1 Ambulance Station Phygtle Childlink Learning Centre Rickmansworth

River Misbourne. Chalfont St. Peter

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south and south east SU 99293 91659 Countryside between two posh villages Post to the north Bowstridge Post to the east Chalfont St.Peters Bowstridge Lane Windmill Farm . Dressage and equestrian centre. In the 19 th a windmill, used for grinding corn, stood south and adjacent to the farm. Outfield Farm Mill Meadow Mill Meadow Playing field Chalfont St Peter Community Centre . This was set up in 1956 and opened in 1960 as a base for community activities in the village Lovell End Chalfont St.Peter Infant School Narcot Lane Entrance to Chalcot Grove.   Woodlands Farm. Equestrian Centre The Chalfonts Community College . This co-educational secondary school is now an academy and science college. It was previously St. Giles Middle School and then Chalfont School designed in 1961 by county architect F.B.Pooley Sources Chalfont St. Peter’s Community Centre. Web site Chalfont St.Peter Infant School. Web site Friends Reu

River Misbourne Bowstridge

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards SU 99304 92442 Rural area on the edge of Chalfont St.Giles  with some early 20th century housing. Post to the north Chalfont St.Giles Post to the south Chalfont St.Peter Amersham Road Foxdell   Wood . Ancient semi-natural woodland coppice with hornbeam, oak and ash. The ground cover is mainly brambles and bluebells. Bowstridge Lane Bowstride Farm . The farm house is 16 th and timber framed. There are also three barns two of them 18 th and one 19 th .   The farm is now used for racehorse training. Sources English Heritage. Web site/ Hertfordshire County Council. Web site

River Misbourne Chalfont St.Giles

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards SU 98897 93399 Central area of posh village Post to the west Chalfont St.Giles Post to the south Bowstride High Street Anthony Cottage . 17 th house with timber framing and painted brick. Blue Dragon , and shop premises. This is a 16 th house, with many later alterations, which is now two shops. It has a timber frame with plastered wattle and daub infill. Bucks House . 17th timber-framed house with 18 th brick front Chalfont Galleries .   19 th house and shop front Flag House . 17 th house Telephone box . K6 type Lych Gate Cottage .   16 th timber framed house National Westminster Bank , previously National Provincial Bank. 18 th brick house with the original wrought iron gateway Church Houses . This was originally three 17 th charity cottages Pilgrims Rest . 16th timber-framed house Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths . 17th timber-framed converted to an infants' school

River Misbourne Chalfont St.Giles

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards SU 98897 93399 Posh village - central area with churches, and small museum Post to the north Mill Lane Post to the east Chalfont St. Giles Bottrells Lane Bottrells Close . This is a 17th timber framed house encased in 18th brick with 17th Quaker links and was the home of Milton’s friend Thomas Ellwood.  It was the home of Ralph Heal in 1910 and the Sanderson family in the 1920s. Dean Way Divine Child of Prague Roman Catholic Church .  This is part of St.Joseph’s parish of Displaced Carmelites. Milton’s Head pub and restaurant Cobblers Cottage, Candy Cottage, Sandalwood . Row of what was originally four 18th red brick houses Old Rectory Garages . 18th outbuildings which were probably originally stables and this includes a boundary wall which is brick and mostly 18th. Methodist Church . There was a Methodist presence here from 1835. The present church was begun in 1866, to replace a smaller building of 1847. It had b

River Misbourne - Mill Lane

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows southwards Post to the north Harewood Downs Post to the south Chalfont St.Giles Amersham Road Misbourne Farm Burnt Mounds.  Worked flint and burnt mounds were found in fields near Misbourne Farm. Such mounds are usually Bronze Age and are heaps of heated stones timber-lined troughs Roman Villa – there are indications of a Roman villa near Misbourne Farm Bycroft Plantation . Planted broad leaved trees. Misbourne House . This big house was said to have once had exceptional gardens. It is now let into individual units. Milestone. Dated 1750 on one side but turned and recut in the 19th.  It is also Inscribed, "XX1V Miles from London, 1750" and "London 23, Chalfont Parish". Mill Lane Mill Farm Chalfont Mill . This is probably a Domesday mill belonging to the Manor of Chalfont St. Giles. There is mention of a mill in 1247, which was in ruins by 1349. In 1814 when it was owned by George Palliser as lord of the Manor and

River Misbourne - Harewood Downs

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards Post to the west Day's Wood Post to the south Mill Lane Amersham Road This does not appear as a road until the post-medieval period, but it location and route makes it likely to have been a prehistoric path. It was a turnpike road The Ivy House. Public House . The Ivy is a two-storey building of early 19th century date. This is shown on a map of 1794 and there may have been an earlier building here.  It was a coaching inn and until reasonably recently was called The Rose and Crown. There is said to be the ghost of a malefactor who escaped while being taken to London but was later hung after murdering someone in an attempt to escape.  There is also the ghost of a stable hand. The building is in flint rubble with painted flint dressings. There is a veranda on the front and a coach house in flint. Milestone Harewood Downs House . Harewood Downs had been a farm since 1696 and was sold in 1900 to property developer James Gur

River Misbourne - Day's Wood

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards SU 98042 95163 Upmarket countryside area Post to the north London Road, Amersham Post to the east Harewood Downs Bottom House Farm Lane Day’s Wood High Wood   South Bucks Footpath This runs parallel to the river on the opposite side of the valley to the ain road and may be an earlier prehistoric route Sources Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site

River Misbourne - London Road Amersham

River Misbourne The Misbourne flows south eastwards Post to the south Day's Wood Finch Lane Finches Farm London Road East The road is not documented until post-medieval times. It is however thought that the route probably existed as a footpath Council depot – waste and a tip. Former sewage works which was opened in 1912 and fed treated water into the river. At some stage the river itself was diverted around the works. By the 1950s abstraction of water upstream caused dilution problems with effluent and the works closed.  It continued to be used as a waste treatment site thereafter. Milestone Quarrendon Mill. This is on the Misbourne and may be a Domesday Mill. In 1788 it was a corn mill but has been disused sine 1936 and the machinery removed in 1940. It is now a private house but some mill stones survive. Upsteam there is a brick edged leat South Bucks Footpath This runs parallel to the river on the opposite side of the valley to the ain road and may be an earli

River Colne - West Hyde

River Colne The Colne flows southwards Post to the north Maple Cross Post to the east Harefield Post to the south Troy Post to the west Chalfont Lane Coppermill Lane The Coy Carp pub . The pub was previously called The Fisheries or the Fisherman’s Inn and is said to predate the canal. Colne Bridge Transformer Station. Clare House . Headquarters building of road and rail engineers, Clancy Docwra. The firm began in Wembley in 1958 and moved their headquarters to Clare House in 1983. Pumping Station SAE . Coppermill Court. Distribution Depot. The Oaks previously called the Royal Oak and then The Fisherman’s Tackle. Denham Way A412 built as part of the North Orbital Road Old Uxbridge Lane Lynsters Farm . Catholic Worker Farm. The Catholic Worker movement dates from 1933. The farm runs as a caring community, housing destitute women and doing good and green works plus peace vigils. The farm house is 15th later altered and extended with a timber frame. Lynsters New and

River Colne Rickmansworth

River Colne The Colne flows north west and south west Post to the north Royal Masonic School Post to the east Rickmansworth Post to the south Stockers Batchworth Lake Aquadrome . This old gravel working was set up as a leisure facility in the 1930s and came into local authority ownership after the Second World War Belfry Lane This follows a field boundary which connects to Meadow and Winchfield Way, as the Mill End/Rickmansworth and Rickmansworth/Chorleywood parish boundaries. The boundary continues along the ends of gardens between Shepherd's and Pheasants Way. Bury Lane The lane was built in 1740 by the then owner of the Bury to connect it with Rickmansworth Park House which he also owned. The Bury. The manor of Rickmansworth was given to the Abbey of St Albans by Offa, in the 8th. They built a farm near the church, and drained the ground drained. In the 19th a stone was found inscribed ‘1327’ carved in it which may be from this farm. After the Dissolution it pass