Monday, 25 December 2017

West Clandon

Station Approach
Clandon Station. The Station was opened in 1885 and now lies between Horsley and London Road, Guildford Stations. It has services provided by South Western and by Southern Trains.

The Street
Summers. This was Summer’s Farm.  It is a 17th house with multiple additions including a music room by Lutyens. There is also a Lutyens designed garden with a timber cloister made out of old cow byre. An adjacent cottage is also by Lutyens.
Onslow Arms. Long established village pub named after the local gentry
Telephone Exchange. Dates from the 1970s and replaced the dark wooden hut adjacent to it, It also serves East Clandon, Ockham, Ripley and Send.
Telephone box – traditional box, likely to be removed
Cuckoo Farmhouse. Possibly a 16th hall house
British Legion Recreation ground, Cecil Ince Hall. This has club facilities and a sports ground,

British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Guildford Borough Council. Web site
Onslow Arms. Web site
Penguin. Surrey
Pevsner. Surrey
West Clandon Parish Council. Web site


Charleywood Common
The Common consists of about 200 acres and is an important wildlife site.  It has grass and heath land with ponds and woodland. Cattle grazed here until the Great War, and now do again,  and wildlife and heath land has increased since.. There are squirrels, rabbits, foxes, hedgehogs, voles, mice and muntjac.   It is managed by the Parish Council. There is a horse track and horses are not allowed other than on it.
Chorleywood Golf Club.  This has a a nine-hole course on the Common.  T he club was founded in 1890 and it is the oldest club in Hertfordshire. At the start club members included Londoners who arrived here on the newly completed Metropolitan Line. The original course had 2 holes across the railway so in 1922 the course was reduced to 9 holes, with help from course architect James Braid. Play was not permitted on Sundays until 1926. In the Great War, the Common was used for practice by the Bombing School and later 150 live grenades were cleared from the fairway.

Common Road
Chorleywood Memorial Hall. This was built by donations and subscriptions to commemorate the fallen of the Great War. It opened in 1922 built by the local firm, Darvell, who donated a memorial board inside. It is based on the plans for the village hall at Bovingdon. It is run by the Village Halls Trust Committee. Adjacent is the Royal British Legion Hall, funded by donations and built in 1936.
Chorleywood Club. The golf club house. In the Second World War  the clubhouse was used as an emergency first aid post by the ARP and bombs fell on the course. A new Clubhouse was opened in 1990.
Rose and Crown. The pub is described in 1861 as formerly called ‘The Hammer’. It is thought to date from the 17th although the current building dates from the 1890s. It is not shown on old maps although 'Berkley Arms' is marked.
Chorleywood Kennels.  Now The Masters House, Kennels Cottage and The Kennels. These are at situated at the base of a steep bank at the side of the Common. The Kennels is an L-shaped building now housing. There is a large iron gate survives in front. They were the kennels for the Berkely Hunt.
Darvells Yard. This was a local builders firm, the site described as a Steam ]oinery Works in 1916. It is now housing.

Lower Road
Chorleywood Health Centre

Old Common Road
Chorleywood Arts Centre.. This is in what was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel which was built in 1893 replacing an earlier meeting-place. Nothing remains of the original interior or its fixtures and fittings. It closed in 1969 and sold in 1970 and all reference to its past were removed, including the inscriptions on the foundation stones
Berkely Arms. This is now Berkely House although a brewers sign survived, illegible, below the side gable. At the rear, there is a mid 17th century timber-frame range with exposed queen struts.  It was named for the hounds of the Berkley Hunt which used to exercise on the Common.

Shire Lane
St.John Fisher church. Hill Cottage was originally a private house with a a large ground-floor studio once used as a rehearsal room by Sir Henry Wood. It was extended in the early 20th, C F A Voysey. The Assumptionist Fathers came to Rickmansworth in 1903. Chorleywood Catholics then had to walk there and so later services were held in members’ homes. Plots of land were bought, found unsuitable for a church, and sold. Eventually they bought Hill Cottage and it was dedicated in 1955.

Station Approach
The area at the junction with Shire Lane was once called Currants Bottom
Chorleywood Hotel. Turned into flats. Was renamed the Sportsman and was a Toby Hotel.
Chorleywood Station. Opened in 1889 the station now lies between Chalfont and Latimer and Rickmansworth on both Chiltern Railways and on the Metropolitan Line. It  originally opened  when the Metropolitan Railway extended to Chesham from Rickmansworth  In 1915 the name was changed to ‘Chorley Wood and Chenies’ and in  1934 changed to ‘Chorley Wood’, and in changed to ‘Chorleywood’. It was originally served by steam hauled Metropolitan line trains which ran from Aylesbury changing to an electric locomotive at Rickmansworth. electrification north of Rickmansworth was completed in 1960 and steam withdrawn the following year. Electric substations were built to serve the newly electrified line. Metropolitan line trains are formed of London Underground stock but the Chiltern Railway trains are diesel multiple units.

Chorleywood Parish Council. Web site
Day. London’s Underground
London Transport. Country Walks
St. John Fisher. Web site
Three Rivers Council. Web site

Sunday, 24 December 2017

Chiswick - Turnham Green and Acton Green

Post to the south Chiswick Grove Park
Post to the east Chiswick Riverside to Bedford Park
Post to the west Gunnersbury

Acton Green
This is all that remains of a traditional common and is now a simple area of open land. It continues between the railway line to the south and South Parade to the north between Acton Lane and Turnham Green.  It is in the London Borough of Ealing and is laid out as a park with perimeter planting, cross-walks and some mature trees as well as a children’s playground. The path through the centre is said to have been part of a Roman military road  In 1642 it was the part of the site of a Civil War battle when the Royalists under Prince Rupert overcame the Parliamentarian army under Lord Essex. A path runs along the north side of the railway which is reinforced with a substantial concrete wall

Acton Lane
Acton Lane was originally called Bromcroft Lane
Boundary marker. There is/was a parish boundary marker at the junction with Chiswick High Road.
Boundary. There is a boundary stone at the south side of the junction with Chiswick Road
Park house. Office block present in the 1970s George Wimpey Training Services Unit, Training Department,
Sutton Court Nursery. This business was on the site of Sainsbury’s car park. The Fromow family’s original nursery in Chiswick on was near its junction of Sutton Lane and Wellesley Road. In the 1930s they moved here to Acton Lane where it was called the Sutton Court Nursery. The site was already in use by them as stables for their horses. It was the only 19th nursery to survive the change of Chiswick from countryside to suburb and had 24 greenhouses here with an extensive trade with Covent Garden and Spitalfields Markets. They supplied 50,000 Christmas trees a year in the late 1940s. In the 1970s it became the Sainsbury’s Chiswick supermarket and car park.
5 West London Dispensary. This is shown on maps up to the 1960s. It does not appear to be connected to the earlier Dispensary which became part of the Royal Marsden Hospital.
Railway Bridge. The District Line between Gunnersbury and Turnham Green Stations passes under the road. The line on the west side has a gap in the conductor rails which indicate the change of ownership between London Underground Limited and Network Rail. It was once the site of Acton Lane Junction where a line diverged to the north up the east side of the Gunnersbury Triangle.  It dates from the 1860s when trains first ran to Richmond.
Chiswick Park Station. Opened in 1879 this lies between Turnham Green and Acton Town on the District Line. It was built by the Metropolitan District Railway as part of a line between Turnham Green and Ealing Broadway built in 1879 to connect to GWR called the Ealing Extension. The station opened as ‘Acton Green’. The original station was by J.Wolfe Barry in plain brick with a two storey stationmaster’s house and entrance. In 1887 the name was changed to ‘Chiswick Park and Acton Green’. In 1910 the name was changed to ‘Chiswick Park ‘. It was rebuilt in 1932 when the Piccadilly line as scheduled to pass through the station. The new station was designed by A.A.Heaps with consultation with Charles Holden in a modern European style using handmade red brick, reinforced concrete and glass. It had a tall semi-circular ticket with external brick walls with panels of clerestory windows and a flat concrete slab roof.  Inside brick work was left exposed and canopies had concrete with shuttering marks remaining.   To make it visible from Chiswick High Road there was a square brick tower surmounted by the UNDERGROUND roundel and the station's name.
Railway Bridge. This crosses the road to the east of the station and carries the four District and Piccadilly line tracks on their way to Turnham Green station.  The Piccadilly using disused LSWR lines. It also once carried the Acton Curve as it turned north to join the London and South West Railway Line.
Fairlawn Court.  Flats were built on the site of Evershed & Vignoles' factory when it closed in the 1990s. It was previously the site of a house called Acton Green Lodge.
Evershed & Vignoles. Factory built in 1933 making electrical test equipment. The company had been founded in 1895 Company by Sydney Evershed and Ernest Vignoles by purchasing the instrument section of their employers Goolden and Trotter. They moved to Acton Lane in 1903, registering the Megger Tester, although other instrumentation and marine signalling systems were developed.  The works was expanded onto this site in 1933. In 1971 much of the company was sold to Thorn Electricals and in 1986 they were taken over by Aco. Ltd. The Acton Lane works closed down at about that time. Later they became part of Meggitt Holdings with their British works in Dover.

Antrobus Road
‘Anonymous’ post box – one without the Royal Cipher – on the corner with Bollo Lane.

Barley Mow Passage,
9 The Lamb.  This was previously The Barley Mow which dated from 1761. A painted sign at the side refers to Chiswick's Lamb Brewery.
Devonshire Works is part of the Sanderson Wallpaper Factory. This was an extension to their original factory with a footbridge to it and later the building now called Voysey House was added.  The original building burnt down in 1928.  That building is now the business centre
Barley Mow Centre. This was the first commercial workspace in the UK in the old Sanderson Factory. Lots of different small businesses sharing facilities from 1976.
Voysey House. Built for the Sanderson wall paper factory in 1907/3 as an extension to the factory opposite and designed by C.F.A. Voysey as his only factory building. It is in white glazed brick with Staffordshire blue brick. There are small circular windows of the fourth floor and buttresses which house ventilation shafts have flat projections. Inside supporting iron columns are progressively slenderer on each floor.
Chiswick Telephone Exchange, This is a 4 storey office block used by British Telecom. It had two poles mounted with two 300mm satellite dishes and associated ancillary equipment on top of the building as well as a plant structures such as air conditioning units.

Barrowgate Road
51 plaque to comedian Tommy Cooper
Methodist Church. The current church is in Sutton Court Road at the south end of what was a large site. In 1880 a church was built at the north end of the site on the corner of Sutton Court and Barrowgate Roads.  In 1980 this site was sold has been replaced by housing in Barrowgate Road.

Beaconsfield Road
Acton Green Works. This was Hill Brothers (Service) which seemed to have made a range of commercial display materials – frames, notices boards and so on.
Laundry. A laundry was on the site before the Second World War.

Belmont Road
Site of London Transport Turnham Green Garage. This had been a horse bus stables acquired by London General Omnibus Company in 1898.  It was used for motor buses from 1911. It was sometimes used for experimental work because it was near Chiswick Works. It closed in 1980. Alfred Close and other housing is now on the site.

Bollo Lane
This road is on the line of Bollo Brook as far as Chiswick Park Station.  This is also the boundary between Ealing and Hounslow.
Nature Reserve.  This is known as the Gunnersbury Triangle which was cut off from the rest of the area by railway and allotments and grew wild. It became a damp secondary woodland surrounded on all sides by railway lines. During the 19th it seems to have been used as an orchard with some gravel or sand excavations. From the 1940s the area was undisturbed.  There were development proposals in 1982 and a campaign was mounted by the Chiswick Wildlife Group which defeated British Rail’s plans at a public inquiry. The Borough bought the land with assistance from the Greater London Council and since 1984 it has been a London Wildlife Trust reserve. There is a new pond and some seasonal ponds. The reserve supports small mammals and a foxes as well as many birds. A nature trail leads through birch and willow woodland, as well as wet woodland to an open meadow that is carpeted with wildflowers in summer. Seats provide an opportunity to rest and enjoy the sight of nearly fifty bird species and many butterflies. Train noise can be a problem, but is offset by birdsong on summer days
Acton Curve. The London and South West Railway built a north-to-east curve from Bollo Lane Junction to Acton Lane Junction in the late 1860s. This gave access to trains from Willesden or Cricklewood to Hammersmith and Kensington. It was used by Midland coal trains in 1878, and also for passenger trains to Richmond from Moorgate Street. It closed in 1965.  The route of the curve is now a footpath within the reserve. It also formed the boundary between the boroughs of Ealing and Hounslow.
Railway Bridge. This carries the line from Chiswick Park Station built by the Metropolitan District Railway on the Ealing Extension in 1879. The next station is Acton Town. The fast Piccadilly Line service was added in 1832 necessitating widening and some rebuilding
The Bollo House. This was built in 1885 and named the Railway Tavern for the workers constructing the railway lines nearby. It was renamed the Orange Kipper in 1988 and in 2000 The Bollo House. It is leased from Greene King.

Bourne Place
Chiswick Memorial Club. This is in what was Afton House which dates from around 1800 with what was originally a large front garden, now gone. As a school in the 1850s it was called Falkland House and was then a laundry until around 1913.   In 1919 Dan Mason, the Cherry Blossom Polish company owner, gave it as a club for ex-service men. It is an example of the wealthier houses here.

Chiswick Back Common
Chiswick Common, which is in the London Borough of Hounslow, lies to the south of the railway line. The Common was part of the Bishop of London's Manor of Fulham and was rural until the mid 19th after which development followed the railway.  The Common is mainly grass, criss-crossed by paths with mature trees, and the perimeter and beech hedging near the playground.
Drinking Fountain. This is at the east apex and is a fountain provided by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain Association in the 19th.
Rocks Green Multi Sports Centre. This has tennis courts and 5 a side football pitches. There are changing facilities and a club house.

Chiswick Common Road
40 this is the site of what was the Colville Motor Works, which went out of business in 1913. They were specialists in carburetion. After the Second World War the site was used by a series of plant hire and related firms – in the 1940s Red Arrow Deliveries, in the 1950s Patrgrin Products Hiring and making concreting machinery and in the 1980s J. Coales with a trailer hire business.

Chiswick High Road
The leading shops of Chiswick are situated on the main High Road between Goldhawk Road and Gunnersbury Station
229 Electric Theatre. This opened in 1910. It was re-named Coliseum Cinema, in 1929 and sound on disc was introduced. It closed before 1932, re-opening as a news and cartoon cinema, renamed Tatler. It closed again in for 1933 and was eventually demolished. The site is now a row of low rise shops;
247 Our Lady of Grace and St.Edward Roman Catholic Church. A chapel was opened in Turnham Green and in Chiswick High Road in 1859.  A school was also started along with plans for a larger church.  In 1864 a foundation stone was laid for a church and a school. In 1886 the present church was opened and consecrated in 1904. It is in the Italian Renaissance style designed by John Kelly of Kelly & Birchall. After the Great War the tower was added as a war memorial 1930 by Sir Giles G Scott.  There is a plaque in English and Latin which says: 'The Catholic pastors and people of Chiswick laboured to build this tower to the glory of God and in honourable memory of all brave and faithful men who died for the country during the Great War especially those who were members of this parish or boys in its schools”. The church was bombed in 1944 and not repaired until 1953.
The presbytery. This stands next to the church in two Georgian houses acquired in 1931. They are detailed with Coade Stone mask keystones.
271 this is a passage way and the garden area of the Lamb Pub (ex Barley Mow) which stands to the rear in Barley Mow Passage.
Belmont House. This big grand house was opposite the Barley Mow. It was used as a private school and demolished in the 19th
332 Goodbans Department Store. This dated from 1909 built onto an existing drapery business.  It had 30 departments and closed in 1974.  Later this was partly used by Boots
347-353 Office block on the site of Chiswick Congregational Church.  In the 1870s a tin church was built here on a site which backed onto Arlington Gardens. Van Gogh was here in 1876.  In 1881 it was replaced with a stone church and the tin building became the Sunday School. It closed in 1974 by which time it had joined the United Reform Church. It was demolished in the early 1980s.
356 Palais Cinema. This opened in 1909. It was fined twice in 1914 for screening films on a Sunday and closed in 1916, requisitioned by the Government as a storage facility.. It opened again in 1919 as the Palace of Entertainments. It later became a Woolworth’s Penny Bazaar, and then a Woolworths shop. This appears to now be a Waitrose
374 Crown & Anchor Public House. This was built before 1839 but extended in 1882. It was faced in the 19th with tiles and with plaques with coloured rams and 'Young and Company's Ales' in reference to the Ram Brewery, Wandsworth.  It is however now a Mitchell and Butler house.
414 Chiswick Empire Theatre of Varieties. A handsome building faced with terra-cotta. This was built by Oswald Stoll despite local opposition. It was designed by Frank Matcham and included ten dressing rooms and an orchestra pit for the resident orchestra. It opened in 1912 and put on variety, plays and occasional opera. In 1932, it became a full time cinema with a Western Electric sound system. Variety was later resumed. It was forced to close in the blitz and reopened in 1941.  It closed in 1959 despite full houses for unknown reasons. The last night featured Liberace. It was demolished within a month
414 Empire House. Built in 1959 by Carl Fisher as an obtrusive office block which replaced the former theatre. It is now to be turned into housing. Also called Chiswick Centre
434 Old Pack Horse. The pub is mentioned in 1669 and has some sort of verified connection with highwaymen.  It was rebuilt in 1910 With plenty of terracotta detail and bowed ground- floor windows, by Nowell Parr
450 Connolly's Bar and Diner. This was a pub called the Robin Hood and Little John which opened in 1862 on the site of an old beer house. The pub moved here in 1897 and `Robin Hood’ is written on the gable. It was renamed Tommy Flynn’s Bar in 2003 and Connolly’s in 2006.

Clifton Gardens
Now in two halves, this road once ran from Chiswick Common Road to the High Road.
59 Clifton Gardens Resource Centre. Care Centre for the elderly on the site of a Post Office Sorting Office.
Sorting Office. Post Office building replaced by the Care Centre

Colonial Drive
A small cul de sac going into the area which was once the Acton Curve. It now goes only a few yards and is surrounded by new blocks of flats. It appears to have very recently gone further and accessed a warehouse which appears to be on the site of the Royal Standard Laundry.
Royal Standard Laundry. This large laundry dated from 1889 and closed in the 1970s.

Cunnington Street
Mission Hall. This is part of Christ Church Acton Green
50 Bell Industrial Estate. This appears to be on part of the site of the Evershed and Vignoles Factory in Acton Lane
Mosaic mural. This is the work of sculptor Carrie Reichardt and fulfils a promise to Luis Ramirez, who was executed in Texas last year for murder

Duke Road
Part of the area called the Glebe Estate, built on the site of the Chiswick Glebe.
18 Bolton Pub. This was built before 1882 and was called the Bolton Hotel and Music Hall. It closed in 1995 and is now flats.
Public Library. The original Chiswick Library was on the corner with Bourne Place in 1890. It closed in 1897

Dukes Avenue
This was built in 1820 by the Duke of Devonshire as an Approach Road to Chiswick House.
1 Chiswick Library. The library is in a house donated by Sandersons and formerly intended as the Sanderson family home. An extension was provided in the 1930’s.
2 Express Dairy depot. This depot appears to have been run with their larger site in Acton Lane.
2 Roman Catholic Parish Centre opened 1980 on Express Dairy Site
Royal Horticultural Society Gardens. These gardens lay on the west side of Dukes Avenue, on land now covered by Alwyn Avenue, Barrowgate Road, Hadley Gardens and Wavendon Avenue. They were experimental gardens open between 1822 and 1904. The Society leased the 33 acres from the Duke of Devonshire. Half the gardens were for fruit and vegetables; 13 acres for flowers and shrubs and there was an eight-acre arboretum. Hot houses were built for the exotic plants being brought back from the Far East, the Americas and other places. The Society also ran conferences and had a training scheme for young gardeners. In 1870 the acreage was reduced to 11 acres; glasshouses were demolished and the arboretum swept away. The gardens were moved to Wisley in 1904.

Essex Place
Packhorse Square – this was a named used for this area in the past. It was thus behind the Packhorse Pub
Sainsbury Supermarket
Whitbread Bottling Stores. This was on part of the Sainsbury’s site. Beer was brought here in tankers for bottling and distribution. It had opened in 1914.
Almshouses. Very small almshouses enlarged in  1822 and demolished in 1886
National School for Boys. This opened 1848 and was later used for infants. It was demolished in 1968.

Fishers Lane
Railway bridges
Primitive Methodist chapel. This was on the east side of the south end of the road and opened in 1884.  It was extant until the Second World War.

Harvard Lane
This footpath is the remains of what was once Dead Donkey Lane running here from Strand on the Green

Heathfield Gardens
2-4 Chiswick Fire Station. Opened 1963 in Western Command District. Has a Mercedes Benz Atego 1325F Fire engine with Dual Pump Ladder.
Heathfield House. This was on the site now occupied by the fire station. A 17th house was replaced in the 18th and its most famous occupant was Lord Heathfield who defended at the siege of Gibraltar.  The house was demolished in 1837 and a vicarage for Christ Church built here. The gates of the house are now an entrance to Green Park in central London.

Heathfield Terrace
Militia Barracks. These were barracks for the 3rd Middlesex and Royal Westminster Light Infantry Militia 1854-1878. They were later sold to Sandersons, wall paper manufacturers.  One block became the site of the Army and Navy Depository.  Two of the militia buildings were destroyed in the Second World War and were rebuilt as a post office and a warehouse which was leased from 1966 to the Pantechnicon.
Sandersons. They bought the militia barracks and later leased them to the Army and Navy Stores.
9 Devonhurst Place - Pantechnicon. This was the Army & Navy Stores depository built in 1871 on the site of one of three blocks of militia buildings. It was leased from Sandersons and bought outright in 1888.  In 1969 a computer centre was opened on one floor the rest was used for storage until 1980. One of the earlier gatehouses has been removed, but the larger has been retained, and used as a house.  The large 20th century sheds have been removed from the rear. It was converted to flats in 1988
Post Office. This is adjacent to Barley Mow Passage and dates from 1966.
Town Hall. This was originally the Vestry Hall on land bought in 1874. It became the town hall of Chiswick Urban District Council in 1896 and is a typically Italianate vestry hall in yellow stock bricks. The architect was W T. Trehearne, surveyor to the Chiswick Improvement Commissioners. In 1887 there was a competition for an extension comprising with space for theatrical performance. In 1900-1 additions were built to the designs of Arthur Ramsden, and the enlarged building became Chiswick Town Hall. It is now longer used as a Town Hall by what is now London Borough of Hounslow but is office accommodation and meeting space as well as a registry office, rates office and a venue for classes. Inside are ornate spaces including the former council chamber, with trussed timber roof and an imperial staircase with a cast-iron balustrade. There are also the Main Hall and the Hogarth Hall.
Heathfield Terrace Station. This was planned as part of the Central London Railways planned underground extension from Shepherd's Bush to Gunnersbury in 1912. It was never built because of the Great War.

Horticulture Place
The road was named for the Royal Horticultural Society gardens to which it led.
National School. Girls were at school here from before 1867. The building was demolished in 1972

Mills Row
Until the 1950s this was a row of tiny cottages built by a Mr. Mills

South Parade
Built as part of Jonathan Carr’s Bedford Park Development
15 Duke of Sussex. Built 1898 by Shoebridge & Rising, stuccoed and tile hung to replace an earlier beer house. It was rebuilt by the Cannon Brewery of Clerkenwell. Later it was a Firkins pub until 2006.
St Alban's Church.  This was designed by Edward Monson and the foundation stone laid in 1887.  It is in red brick with a striking appearance because of the steep pitch of the roof. The church has been disused for some years but is currently being revived
Church hall and club buildings in green painted corrugated iron. It may have been a tin tabernacle used as a mission church, here, or elsewhere.

Sutton Lane North
Bollo Brook once ran alongside the road, heading for the River.
Arlington Cottages. 17th cottages set back from the road
The Smokehouse. This was originally called The Queen’s Head and more recently the Hole in the Wall. It dates from at least 1722 and was rebuilt in 1925.
10a West Gym.  This was built in 1881 as a Lecture Room for Gunnersbury Baptist Church but has been a gym since the 1980s.

Sutton Court Road
Chiswick Methodist Church. This originated in meetings of the Hammersmith Wesleyan circuit in 1845 held in local shops in the 1860s and 1870s.  A yellow-brick Sunday school and chapel was built in 1880 on land given by the Duke of Devonshire. A church was built in red-brick in 1909. Despite Second World War bombing it remained in use.
Telephone Exchange. This is now flats.

The Orchard
14 used by a succession of private schools between the 1890s and 1930s.

Town Hall Avenue
Christ Church. This was built in 1843 to accommodate the growing population Turnham Green. The land on the Greens originally belonged to St Pauls Cathedral. It was an early commission for Gilbert Scott and was provided with galleries which have since been removed. It was used as the garrison church for the nearby militia barracks. Considerable work of refurbishment was undertaken in the 1990s. The original organ was replaced with a digital one and space was found for a meeting room, two smaller rooms and a kitchen as well as toilets and a lift.
2 telephone boxes. These are Type K6, designed in 1935 by Giles Gilbert Scott. Made in cast iron these are square kiosks with domed roofs.

Turnham Green
Turnham Green is a public park separated in two by a small road and with Christ Church on the eastern part. The name comes from what was once a village on the main road heading west from London. On 13 November 1642, the Parliamentary army prevented the Royal march on London in the Battle of Turnham Green.
War Memorial. This is at the east end of the Green and is a stone obelisk on steps with railings and a hedge around it. There is a laurel wreath on the obelisk and metal poppies on the gate. It says “In grateful and affectionate memory of the men of Chiswick who fell in the Great War 1914...1918 and in the World War 1939...1945. It was unveiled in 1921 in the presence of the Duke of Devonshire and the Bishop of London.

Wellesley Road
Fromows Nursery was originally at the corner with Sutton Lane. William Fromow established his business here in 1829 when he bought an existing nursery.  It was taken over by succeeding family members and other sites were acquired. The family home had been a cottage in Sutton Lane land which was replaced in the 1890s by a conservatory.  Heavy death duties in the 1930s led to the sale of the premises and blocks of flats were built on the site.
Fromows Corner. This is where Fromow's offices and stores were.  There is a plaque of Fromows on the topmost gable of the corner building.
Fromows seed shop. This was across the road from the offices and stores.

Blue Plaque Guide
Barton. London’s Lost Rivers
British History Online. Chiswick. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Christ Church. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clegg. The Chiswick Book
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London Place Names
Glazier. London Transport Garages
Grace’s Guide. Web site 
Hillman and Trench. London Under London
Historic England. Web site
Kingston Zodiac
London Encyclopaedia
London Borough of Ealing. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
London Geezer Web site4
London’s Industrial Archaeology
Middlesex Churches, 
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Nurserygardeners. Web site
Oates. Acton. A history
Our Lady of Grace. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Robbins. The North London Railway
Smythe. Citywildspace, 
Stevenson. Middlesex
Vercoe. Ravenscourt
Victorian Web. Web site
Welford .Village London
Wikipedia. As appropriate

Monday, 11 December 2017

Chiswick Grove Park

Post to the west Strand on the Green
Post to the south Chiswick Duke's Meadow
Post to the east Old Chiswick
Post to the north Chiswick Turnham Green and Acton Green

Bolton Road
St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church. In 1944 Bolton Cottage here was bought by the Catholics and the church was built next door in 1964 designed by Dr. Plaskett Marshall.
Presbytery. This was converted from an existing house in 1958.

Burlington Lane
Named for the Earl of Burlington who bought Chiswick House in the late 17th.  It was the main route to Strand on the Green from Old Chiswick.
Chiswick Station. This lies between Kew Bridge and Barnes Bridge Stations on South Western Trains. It lay on the  branch line of the London and South Western Railway Company’s line from Windsor to Waterloo and opened in 1849 on the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway and was built on land and was a a requirement of the 1847 enabling Act.  The Station House was by William Tite like a classical villa. It was restored in 1989 and now let out as offices.  A mezzanine floor was added and a glazed entrance to open up spaces.
Goods yard closed 1958
Chiswick School. This opened as Chiswick County School for Girls in 1916 and a boys school opened next door in 1926. They became a co-educational grammar school in 1966 and in 1968 a comprehensive.
War  Memorial  homes 1922. The current cottages were originally built in 1940 and renovated in 2010 and are managed by the Stoll Foundation. They were Chiswick’s memorial of the Great War 1914 1918 and are for Homes of rest for Chiswick disabled men of His Majesty's forces and their families and for the dependants of those who fell in the war. A plaque says @ This memorial was re-dedicated by HRH The Countess of Wessex GCVO on 11th November 2010 following the redevelopment of The Chiswick War Memorial Homes.

Cedars Road
This is now part of the A4 with a complex past.  It originated as a suburban side road, built in the early 20th, and in the 1930s was a short road running west from Sutton Court Road, among other suburban roads.  By the early 1950s it had become a dual carriage way and joimed to what had become Ellesmere Road to the east and Great West Road to the west.  As a section of the A4 it is essentially a slip road onto the M4. It is sometimes known as "Great West Road" as part of the section rather than “Cedars Road”. A stretch of suburban road remains sectioned off from the dual carriageway.
Little Sutton Cottage. This stands facing the main road on the sectioned off suburban stretch of road. It is the only survival from what was  Sutton Village and may have been connected to almshouses in Sutton Lane. It is a 16th house in colour-washed brick
Chiswick Garage. This garage site has been in place since the 1930s and is on the site of what was Little Sutton House. It is now a Porsche Garage, recently remodelled following a Planning Inspectorate decision.
Dairy Crest Site. In the 19th this was a dairy run by a local cowkeeper in the village of Little Sutton. It was sold to United Dairies in 1921. This developed  into a large depot which was demolished in 2012.  It has since become a large extension to the adjacent Porsche garage

Chiswick House Gardens
About two thirds of the gardens are covered in this square. The remainder – including Chiswick House – are in the square to the east.
This is a a pioneering naturalistic landscape. It is cited as the birthplace of the English landscape movement.  The gardens were an attempt to symbolically recreate a garden of ancient Rome by Lord Burlington. The gardens here were originally of a standard Jacobean design, but from the 1720s they were in a constant state of transition. Burlington and Kent experimented with new designs. The first architect appears to have been the king's gardener, Charles Bridgeman, who was believed to have worked on the gardens around 1720, and subsequently with William Kent, inspired by the landscape paintings of French artists. In 1929 the Duke of Devonshire sold the site to Middlesex County Council. It later came under the Ministry of Works and subsequently of English Heritage, Along with Hounslow Council the Chiswick House and Gardens Trust was set up in 2005.
Bowling Green. This has been since the early 18th and it is surrounded by old sweet chestnut trees. Also called Chestnut Square
Ionic Temple and Orange Tree Garden. This temple was designed by Lord Burlington in 1719.
Lilly’s Tomb. This is the grave of a pet dog and has a latin inscription. The dog belonged to Lady Harriett Cavendish around 1800.
Northern wilderness. In the 18th ‘wilderness’ was a fashion feature in gardens. It was planted with shrubs and had meandering paths.
The Lake. Originally Bollo Brook flowed through the south east part of the site. It was turned into a linear water feature and was modelled by William Kent in the 1730s.
Classic Bridge. Probably designed by James Wyatt in 1774. Damaged by Second World War bombing
Cascade. Designed by William Kent in 1738 – but never worked. English Heritage has tried to sort this out
Western wilderness. Designed by William Kent and this was changed in the 1780s by Samuel Lapidge.
Patte d’Oie and obelisk. These were designed to mirror each other across the lake The obelisk was designed by William Kent to display an antique Greek tombstone.

Devonshire Gardens
1-2 this was originally Mrs. Crampton’s Ladies College built in 1887

Ellesmere Road
This is part of the same section of A4, Great West Road, as Cedars Road in upgrading a road which was originally residential.

Elmwood Road
The road, and the church, are on the site of a lake which was in the grounds of Little Sutton House. This site of this house is now the Porsche garage in Cedars Road.
St.Michael’s Sutton Court.   In 1906 it was proposed to create a Parish of St. Michael, Sutton Court. The new church was to be financed from the sale of St. Michael, Burleigh Street, Strand. A wooden hall was built and services were held there until the church opened in 1909. The architects were Caroe and Passmore and it is in the Arts and Crafts style. The original wooden hall was replaced in 1996 by a new building

Fauconberg Road
The road runs on the line of a path between Sutton Court Manor and Chiswick Park Farm, accessed by a gate opposite the Manor.
Sutton Court Manor House. The house was on the corner with Sutton Court Road and in the late 17th it was the home of the Earl and ‘Countess of Faulconberg.  This was the house for Sutton Manor, the property of St.Paul’s Cathedral and dating from at least the late 14th.  The house was held and used by the Crown and then leased out. In 1800 it was sold to the Duke of Devonshire. It had had a malthouse and farm buildings, and by the 17th the gardens included a maze  and a bowling green. The house was rebuilt around 1795 and in the mid 19th was used as a school. In 1900 it was used as a temporary town hall and demolished in 1905.
Sutton Court Mansions 1906, on the site of the old manor house
Chiswick Park Club. This sports ground lay to the south of Fauconberg Road. In 1883 the Duke of Devonshire leased a piece of land to residents for a sports club. The other boundaries were what is now Grove Park Terrace, Sutton Court Road on the east and the railway line, Chiswick Park Lawn Tennis Club was located here and for many years the Middlesex Open Tennis Championships, were held there.
St Thomas's Sports Ground, From 1897 St Thomas's Hospital Medical School leased some of the Chiswick Park Club grounds as a sports field. From 1925 it was the Chiswick Cricket and Lawn Tennis Company but in 1946 Brentford and Chiswick UDC compulsorily purchased it for the St Thomas's housing estate

Grove Park Bridge
This bridge takes the north/south road over the railway at a point which was originally a level crossing. It was built in the late 19th following a fatal accident involving a horse bus. It is in London stocks bricks with red brick and stone piers

Grove Park Terrace
Level crossing with brick staircase over it.  Also apparently it has “4 unipart rail LED wigwags and 4 barriers SPX rail systems Romford and a rubber crossing plant with wooden anti trespass guids’
23 Clifton Works . This was the premises used by the estate builders in the 19th. It is now offices for a media company.
Domed brick structure outside Faulconberg Court. This is thought to be part of an ice house once in the grounds of Sutton Court. It was discovered by workmen in 1949

Grove Park Road
Old Station House. This was, until recently, the Grove Park Hotel. This was one of the first buildings on the Grove Park Estate built in 1867. It hoped to cater for the growing interest riverside and sporting activities. Originally a white wooden balcony ran around the building at first floor level.
Entrance gates to The Grove house would have stood at the south end of the road opposite the church.

Hartington Road
Hartington is the title of the Duke of Devonshire’s eldest son

Kinnard Avenue
In 1928 Grove Park House was replaced with modest detached houses by L.H. Harrington for the Kinnaird Estate Company.
Grove House, This stood near the corner with Hartington Road and Kinnard Road will have run through the centre of it! The house dated from around 1530, but is thought to have been on the site of an earlier one. It had been remodelled in the 18th by Decimus Burton, Iit had eighty acres of formal gardens, stables, an ice house and a lake, It was demolished in 1928 and there are stories of it being re-erected in the US.  Kinnaird Avenue was built on its site as part of a development by the Duke of Devonshire.. Some of the chestnut trees from the grounds remain.

Nightingale Close
The road name is a link with St Thomas's Hospital once the land owner here.
Grove Park Primary School. The school was opened in 1952 on a site previously owned by St Thomas's Hospital.  The purpose built Nursery class opened in 1985.

Spencer Road
1 site of The Roystons which was built in the 1870s and was at one time a home for motherless children

Staveley Road
Cherry Trees. Much of the street is lined with cherry trees for blossom in the spring. These were planted in the 1920s for the Cherry Blossom polish factory
1-50 housing for Cherry Blossom employees
22 Chiswick New Cemetery. Opened in 1933 on former water meadows between the Great Chertsey Road and the railway line. There are a large number of Russians and Poles buried here.  There is a large ‘art-deco’ style Chapel and landscaping is in a park style.
Chiswick School. This opened as a Central School in 1927  and became a secondary modern in 1968 having merged with Chiswick Grammar School. In 2012, it became an ‘Academy; and its name changed from Chiswick Community School to Chiswick School. Most of the buildings are new although the North Eastern block remains from the original girls' school.
Chiswick Park Farm.  This stood roughly on the site which is now the corner with Chatsworth Road. In 1894 this became the club house of a golf course built in the surrounding fields.  It closed because of encroaching developments in 1907;.
Memorial to the first V2 which landed here on 8 September 1944 killing three people.  This was unveiled in 2004 and organised jointly by the Brentford & Chiswick Local History Society and the Battlefields Trust. It is sited near where it landed near the junction with Burlington Lane.

Sutton Court Road
This preserves the name of  the old manor of Sutton Court – the house demolished in 1896.
Grove Park Studios. This is a small office complex in what was a garage and the Crusader hall

Sutton Lane
Sutton Close is on the site of almshouses - six almshouses, and a hospital - were built here in 1676 by William Ashburnham who lived at Sutton Court. The inmates moved to Turnham Green by 1822 but the buildings were not demolished until 1957.

Arthure.. Life and Work in Old Chiswick
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Chiswick House trail, 
Chiswick House and Gardens. Web site
Chiswick Remembers. Web site
Chiswick School. Web site
Chiswick W4. Web site
Clegg. The Chiswick Book
English Heritage. Chiswick House
Field , London Place Names, 
Grove Park Primary School. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Parks and Gardens UK. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  North West London
SABRE. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford . Village London
Wheatley and Meulenkamp. Follies 

Tuesday, 5 December 2017


Post to the east skirting Cane Hill

Court Hill
Gated road!

Great Soloms Wood

Holly Lane
Car Park. This serves the Banstead Woods Nature Reserve and an interpretation centre is included at the start of nature trails. There is also a Narnia trail here with a wardrobe to walk though.

Outwood Lane.
Chipstead Valley Bourne. A bourne is an inrermittent stream, this one flowed down the lane and continued past the Woodmansterne water treatment works, though the wells there are not directly related.
Sutton and East Surrey Water Works Pump House., Pumping Station with a neo-Georgian Pumphouse built in 1907 for two gas engines by Sutton District Water Co. It is now being considerably upgraded – this is a large site with a much equipment for the extraction and treatment of fresh water
Library – this stood on the corner with Court Hill but was demolished in 1996.

Solom’s Court  Road
Another gated road
Soloms Court House built in 1906 by Guy Dawber in free Tudor style. It is now divided into two.

Stagbury Avenue
The Bourne, This used to flow under the old Stagbury House in Outwood Lane, family seat of the Walpole family. It was said that there was a trapdoor in the cellar beneath which the Bourne could be seen. The house was pulled down in 1968 and town houses with the same name were built.

Station Approach
Chipstead Station. This station was opened as Chipstead and Banstead Downs in 1897 when the line opened between Purley and  Kingswood.  It was built in a domestic revival style with three dormer windows. It lies now between Kingswood and Woodmansterne Stations on Southern Rail. The station buildings are no longer used having been sold off for housing in the mid-late 1990s,
Goods yard cut out of the valley slope at the London end. This is now a car park/
Chipstead Bourne. This used to flood the cellars of the shops in Station Parade but additional culverts have dealt with this

Water Mead
New housing built on an area once part of the water works

Chipstead Village. Web site
Reigate and Banstead Council. Web site
Surrey Industrial History
Pevsner. Surrey
Surrey and Sutton Water Company.Web site

Chessington North and Hook

Post to the west Hook
Post to the south Chessington
Post to the north Tolworth

Bridge Road
Chessington North Station.. This was opened in  1939 and lies between Chessington South and Tolworth on South Western Trains.  It is on the last line built by the Southern Railway.  It was first called ‘Chessington Court’ but the name changed two years later.  It is designed in’cinema’ style by  James Robb Scott and like other stations on this line used concrete extensively. , On the platform is 200 ft long Chisarc cantilevered concrete canopy with porthole glass and a mix of coloured fluorescent lighting tubes.  From the start at street level there was a car park, toilets, parcels office and lock up shops and a separate parcels ramp. Signs were erected on the  platforms saying  'Next Station For The Zoo' - later amended to 'World of Adventures' - to make sure people got off at the right station.
Railway bridge.  Concrete bridge built in the late 1930s continuous in design with the station.
74-76 Toad Hall Nursery. Children’s nursery in what was Chessington Evangelical Church dating from the 1960s

Buckland Road
Gosbury Hill County Primary, Junior, Mixed and Infants' School. This school was opened in 1949 in Buckland Road and closed in 1965. This site was north of the infant school
Buckland Infant and Nursery School.  This had a large nursery and two specialist units for children with speech and language difficulties from across the borough.  It appears to have been known as Moor Lane Infants School in the early 1950s.
Guide Hut. Scouts met in the buildings of Buckland School from the 1950s. The Guide hut appears to have been demolished as part of rebuilding for Castle Hill School and its site is now a parking area.
Castle Hill Primary School. In 2007 it was decided to merge Buckland School and Moor Lane Junior School here. The amalgamated school, called Castle Hill Primary School, is now set up as an ‘academy’.
Chessington Children’s Centre. This is included in the school buildings
Open Space – east of the school is an open space including an old hedge with oak trees.

Church Lane
Chessington Methodist Church. This dates from 1948 and is a large church with what appear to be several halls and ancillary buildings.

Cox Lane
43 Alliance Healthcare. This is their head office. The company distributes pharmaceuticals to retail and other users. They date from the 1930s in London and were originally a co-op.
Maverick Pub. This is now a shop. It was originally called Port of Call and was a Greene King house. Later it was the Pickled Newt It closed in 2010.
59 Yodel. Delivery service
BT Fleet – this seems to be on the site of what was a large Post Office store
Railway bridge.  Concrete bridge dating from the late 1930s
Chessington Business Centre

Hook Road

Hook Parade. Library and community buildings replaced by Hook Centre.
Hook Centre. This is a purpose built centre including a library, a cafe, community learning spaces, etc etc  It was opened in 2006.
St Paul’s.  Before 1838, Kingston clergymen came to Hook and took services in a barn – which was burnt down. Land for a church and its burial ground was donated by Mrs Langley and it was built by, paid for by ex-vicar. Monuments to Hare family. Font with 70 bits of wood.  The current parish hall was built alongside the old church, Bricks from the old church were used for the walls of the churchyard.  The lych gate is the entry to the church and alongside it the grave of aviator Harry Hawker. he was born in Australia in 1889 and tried to fly the Atlantic from Newfoundland in 1919, and was killed in an air crash at Hendon in 1921.
A walled garden around the west end is a memorial to those who lost their lives in the Second World War. St Paul’s Church of England Primary School. This appears originally to have been a National School.
271 North Star, Ember Inns House. It may date from the 1880s.
207 Southernhay home of Enid Blyton.

Moor Lane
116 Chessington Oak. Large roadhouse style Mitchell and Butlers Pub dating from 1939, This was the Blackamoor’s Head until 2006 and before that the Blackamore Arms
Chessington County School. Opened in 1936 this was Moor Lane Secondary Mixed School opened in 1936. This was the only secondary school in the Chessington area until 1953 when new building in the area meant that new schools had to be provided. A new school was built for boys and this became a secondary girls’ school. By the late 1960s it was a primary school.
Moor Lane Junior School. This school has now merged with Buckland School on their site and is called Castle Hill. The Moor Lane school site now houses children and family support services and educates disabled children.  There is a swimming pool and sports grounds

Mount Road
105a Four Oaks Centre. This is a hostel for the homeless, previously a Kingston Council Children’s Home
Mount House. W.K.Thomas. Catering disposables works. This is a private company dating from 1930. It is now part of the Bunzl Group.
Bunyan Meyer, Engineering company present here in the 1970s.

Oakcroft Road
The area to the north of the road, which includes the ex-Plessey site, is in the square to the north.
Prochem. International company making cleaning materials. Founded in the 1980s
Oak Point.  Harro Foods. This company deals in frozen Japanese food.  The building was previously Spicers. And pre 1960 an Electrical engineering works
Merlin House. National Rescue Service.  This is a family business removing vehicles on behalf of AA, RAC etc.
Oakcroft Works. Classic Images. This is a joinery business established in 1983.
Typhoon Business Centre
Avery Hardoll, Manufacturers of Pumps and Meters. Factory here in the 1960s
Miner’s Liquid Make up. Present here in 1950, they are now based in Hampshire.
Crystal Products Factory. Opened a perfumery factory here in 1945
Telegraph Condensor Co.
British Insulated  Callenders Cables. 1960s. Based in Erith and elsewhere.

Rhodrons Avenue
The Rhodrons Club. Private club founded 1917.

The Causeway
The Bull Whips. This was previously called Causeway Copse. This is said to be the southern part of Surbiton Common, called Gooseberry Hill, prior to which it had been known as Gosborough Hyll or Gosbury Hill

Chessington Community College. Web site
Chessington Community Matters. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Hidden London. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Ian Visits. Web site
London Railway Record.
Kingston on Thames. Web site
St. Paul’s. Web site
TripAdvisor. Web site
W.K.Thomas. Web site.
Wooton Bridge Historical. Web site

Sunday, 3 December 2017


Abingdon Way
Houses on the site of Orpington Secondary Modern School. Some trees in the area were planted at the opening of the school

Charterhouse Road
Orpington Secondary Modern for Boys. Later it was Charterhouse Secondary School. It dated from 1936 and was Orpington’s first secondary school.  It was demolished in 1987 and replaced with Abingdon Way and its tributary streets.
Charterhouse playground. Park and children;s play area
Christ Church. The church dates from 1939 designed by W. A. Pite Son & Fairweather. On the front wall a mosaic of the Tree of Life was installed for the 75th anniversary of its foundation.

Crown Close
Coal tax post. This is south west and alongside of the railway by the rear fence of No15, this is not easily viewable.

Edgewood Drive
Foxbury Wood and Glentrammon Recreation Ground, This area, pre development, was in Chelsfield Parish as Upper Beeches and Lower Beeches or Upper Ash Field and Lower Ash Field. The land belonged to Glentrammon Park Estates and then to a Mr. Gill, Seven years after he died the land is designated as a ‘recreation ground’.

Station Approach
Chelsfield Station. Opened in 1868 this lies between Knockholt and Orpington Stations on on South Eastern Trains. It was built on what was the South Eastern new main line between Chiselhurst and Tonbridge; it was then almost a mile from the actual village. The current station building dates from the 1970s when its timber predecessor was burnt down.

Warren Road
Skew Bridge over the railway. This is in brick
153a Coal tax post in the front garden

Windsor drive
1 The Chelsfield pub. This was previously called the Heavy Horse. Large estate style pub
27a Methodist Church. The church originated in a "Tin Tabernacle" in Orpington..In 1933 what is now the church hall was built here and the church itself built in 1952.
Chelsfield Centre. Community centre

Chelsea Speleological Society. Newsletter
Christ Church. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Friebds of Foxbury Wood and Glentrammon Recreation Ground
London Borough of Bromley.Web site
Orpington history. Web site
RIBA. Web site
The Chelsfield. Web site

Saturday, 2 December 2017


Post to the west Nonsuch

The London/Surrey/Sutton boundary goes round the edge of the playing field and to the end of Peaches Close. It then turns north west up the east side of another playing field

Anne Boleyn’s Walk
St.Dunstan’s Church of England Primary School. In 1826 the parish church it founded a school in Malden Road for local children. In 1863 an infants' school was also opened in a cottage on the present Nonsuch High School site. In 1869 the infants moved to the Parochial Rooms.  They were joined by the girls and the school was called the Cheam and Cuddington Girls’ and Infants’ School while the Malden Road School was Cheam Junior Boys' School. In 1907 the girls and infants moved to a new building in Jubilee Road and were joined by boys under eleven. It was called St Dunstan's School from the 1950s. In 1989 it amalgamated with Cheam Junior Boys in and construction of a new building began in was 1991 and occupied in 1993.
Dairy Crest Depot. This has now been developed for housing. This had been the dairy business of Cheam Court Farm bought by United Dairies in 1929 . Dairy Mansions are now on the site.

Belmont Rise
This is part of the A217 and is said to have problems with illegal racing. The road funs from Fulham to near Gatwick Airport.
Hales Bridge. This bridge crosses the railway and is named for Mr. Hales, farmer at Church Farm. It is in reinforced concrete and similar to a steel plate bridge with main beams and cross beams and was built as part of the bypass. The original bridge was in brick.

The road was developed in the 1920s and 30s, widened and old buildings demolished for replacement by suburban mock Tudor.
Plough Inn site. This is now a grassed areas at the south-east corner of the cross-roads. The pub was owned by the Cheam Brewery and closed in 1935.
Cheam Brewery. This Brewery, established in the 18th, stood opposite the Plough Inn on the north-west corner of the cross road with Park Lane. It had been owned by John Noakes and was taken over by Edward Boniface in 1876. It was taken over in 1895 by Thunder and Little who also took over the Mitcham Brewery. The name was changed to Mitcham & Cheam Brewery Co Ltd. This was taken over by Page & Overton’s Brewery Ltd, Croydon in 1917. The Cheam Brewery was then closed and was demolished in 1921.
17 Old Cottage a timber-framed house  built around 1500 moved here in 1922 from a site needed for road widening. It is probably the surviving wing of a larger structure and it was thought that it may once have been a house in Cuddington, demolished by Henry VIII,  and could have been the cross-wing of a 'hall house'.  In Cheam it was once part of the Cheam Brewery. The original infill of wattle and rye dough has now been replaced with concrete, and the building raised on a brick plinth.
Cheam House. Built for John Pybus in 1766 and demolished in 1922. The site is now covered by Park Side.
27 Building recently used by HSBC Bank. On the Parkside elevation is an oriel window with a decorative shield and inscription.
42 The Parochial Rooms. These were built to a design by Thomas Graham Jackson on land given by Spencer Wilde of Cheam House. Over the door, with the date 1869, is “Serve God and be Cheerful”, the motto of the John Hacket, Rector here 1624-62. The building was first used an infants school which was part of the local church school.
43-57 Broadway Cottages.  17th weather boarded cottages now altered and used as shops

Burdon Lane
Part of an old drove road

Church Farm Lane
Cottages with date mark of 1881
Boundary Wall . Section of brick wall with battered coping; probably 17th and set on a curve. It includes chalk blocks
The Old Stables. Outbuilding of West Cheam Manor House. This is possibly a stable block. Now in use as offices it was previously the Corporation Yard.

Church Road.
Library. Designed by P. Masters & A. Pereira and built in 1962 when it got a Civic Trust award for the design. It is on the site of West Cheam Manor House.
Library Car Park. This large parking area appears to once have been the site of the local authority depot.
Lychgate. The Gothic lychgate to the church dates from 1891. It is bargeboarded with three archways
St.Dunstan’s Church. This is the parish church built in 1864 and designed by F. E. Pownall replacing and north of an 18th building with Saxon or Norman church origins. The spire was added in 1870.  It contains windows of 1872 by Clayton and Bell and scenes from the life of St. Dunstan.
Lumley Chapel. Standing in the churchyard is the chancel of the medieval parish church, built of flint and possibly 12th.  It is named for John, Lord Lumley, once owner of Nonsuch Palace, and his alabaster tomb may show interiors of the palace.
War Memorial, This is in front of the library. It was designed by the architect and local historian, Charles Marshall. It has a three-stepped base rising to a Celtic cross. There is an inscription which says “Our glorious dead, Their names shall endure for evermore. To the Glory of God and in memory of the men who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918 and those men and women of Cheam who gave their lives in defence of freedom in the World War 1939 – 1945. It also records one death in the Falklands War.  Stone seats alongside the memorial were removed because of graffiti
The Old Farmhouse. This is a 15th house which had been used as separate dwellings called Church Cottages. In 1973 it was returned to single use and timber marks investigated.  A chimney is now thought to have been added in 1550 and there were also 17th additions. It is also thought to have been called Home Farm. The name ‘Old Farmhouse’ dates to the 1970s. Brick cellars have since been discovered, one of which has a 16th brick hearth.

Dallas Road
St.Christopher's Chapel. This Roman Catholic church was built in 1937 for Cheam School and included an earlier chapel built in 1867-8 for the school by Slater & Carpenter. It now functions as a parish church.
Cheam School. Site of Cheam School. This stood between here and Belmont Rise. It was a private school here 1719- 1935 and was founded by Revd. George Aldrich. The school moved to Berkshire and Tabor Court is now on site.
Tabor Gardens. These flats were named after Robert and Arthur Tabor, father and son, successively Headmasters of Cheam School 1856 - 1920, the belfry was once part of the school buildings.

High Street
Road widening in the 1930s changed the nature of the village. Some old buildings were demolished and one moved.
1-2 Old Farm House.  Used to be called Church Cottages.  A timber-framed house with rendered front and old tiled roof. The front part around a central chimneystack is probably of 1600.
109 Harrow Inn. This dates from 1935, replacing a predecessor which was allegedly 16th and had a brewery at the back

Love Lane
This is an old path part of a route between Sutton and Cheam

Malden Road
The section of the road north of the hilltop was once called Pond Hill – hence the side turning, Pond Hill Gardens,
1 Whitehall. This is a timber-framed house built using local oak and elm, dating from around  1500  It is now in use as a museum., It is thought to have originated as a wattle and daub yeoman hall house with weather boarding added in the 18th.  It is a two-storey continuous jetty building with a deep overhang at the front and back.  There are two brick chimneystacks with two recesses and to the rear is a 17th wing when the house is believed to have been used by Cheam School. A marble 18th fireplace in a downstairs room original came from West Cheam Manor. It is thought it was the home of James Boevey from 1670 to his death and later the Killick family, until 1963, when it was purchased by the borough. It was renovated by John West & Partners in 1975-6.  A modern sundial from the Friends of Whitehall is on the 16th staircase tower. As a museum the house contains exhibits from the past four centuries. There is also the Roy Smith art gallery - once the scullery. There is also a display about nearby Nonsuch Palace.
Medieval well in the garden of Whitehall which may have been used by predecessor buildings.
3 Nonsuch Cottage. This is a 17th house with a partly 18th frontage and weatherboarding.
5 timber house which included an underground room used to store food for Whitehall
White Lodge. This was on the corner with Park Road. It dated from 1740 and demolished in 1964. Behind it was a complex of brick-lined 17th vaults.
The Baptist Church. This is on the corner with Park Road. Charles Spurgeon, came to Cheam in 1857 or 1858. Rrepresentatives from the Metropolitan Tabernacle came to preach on the village green and in 1862 Cheam Baptist Church was constituted in a cottage in Malden Road . in 1871, they bought a site in Malden Road and built a chapel. In 1905 they replaced this with a church 100 yards nearer the centre of the village position at the junction with Park Road . Thomas Wall sausage and ice-cream maker, who lived locally, laid the foundation stone.  Halls were added in 1923 which are currently used by the Pre-School. More halls were built in 1971 . An adjacent printing works was purchased in 1997 and converted into a coffee shop.
West Cheam Manor House. This stood here between what are now Church and Park Roads and was demolished in 1796. Cheam School, also originally called Manor House School may have been in this building before 1719. It is now the site of Cheam Library
15 The Rectory. This is 16th building redone in the 18th used as the Rectory until the 1990s. It has a timber frame partly covered in mathematical tiles. The south-west corner is timber-framed with a covering of mathematical or simulated brick tiles.  Five 16th and 17th Cheam rectors became bishops. Since 1638 rectors have been appointed  by St. John’s College, Oxford.
Apple Store. This was in the grounds of the Rectory.  It was used later as the Rover Scout Den but hot summers dried it out and in the summer of 2006 it collapsed.
18 This was the original Cheam Baptist Church which had been set up a cottage in Malden Road . In 1871 they bought a site opposite the cottage for £100 and built this chapel . It has been used as an  auction room and is now a private house.
Fire Brigade Stables. This appears to have stood where Mickleham Road now joins Malden Road. The pound had once been here and by the 1930s a mortuary
23 1st Cheam Scouts Hall. In 1928 four boys met here when it was the St. Dunstan’s Institute. As a result a scout troop was set up. This has continued today and then became   the permanent home and Headquarters of the 1st Cheam. It is a green ‘tin tabernacle’ building.
St. Dunstan’s Institute. This was once the Cheam Working Men’s Club
28 Prince of Wales pub. The association of Prince Charles with Cheam School is co-incidental.

Mickleham Gardens
Retirement homes built in the 1960s have been rebuilt
British Legion Memorial Hall
Girl Guides Hall

Park Lane
Once called Pudding Lane This is an old path which is part of a route between Sutton and Cheam
1-3 Giddings Design
Park Lane Cottages. These were once part of the Cheam House estate. The brick cottages on the south side are mostly late 18th while the timber cottages date from the 16th and 18th.
Two carpenters’ workshops built in the 17th and 18th.
Elizabeth House. This was built as sheltered accommodation in thr 1970s and clad with white plastic weather-boarding to match the nearby weatherboarded buildings. It was demolished in 2015 and rebuilt using timber,
Lodge. Single storey lodge to the park dating from around 1820.

Park Road
Once called Red Lion Street This is an old path part of a route between Sutton and Cheam
17 Red Lion, Pub built around 1600 and much altered. weather-boarding at the front was removed in the 20th. Original well near the door.
Site of Stafford House. This was a boys’ school in the early 19th
38 site of Cheam Cottage. This was a 17th building used in the 18th as the home of the Headmaster of  Cheam School

Park Side
This is on the site of the Cheam House estate built after its demolition in 1922, The houses date from 1923.
5 Site of Cheam Kiln 1. in 1923, a medieval kiln and a large number of pottery fragments were found behind here. These are exhibited in Whitehall along with fragments from the garden there and from Cheam Kiln 2.

Peach’s Close
This appears to be a modern road running along the edge of the sports ground. It does however date from at least the 1820s when there is a report of beans grown there. It was named after Henry Peach, rector of Cheam 1760.
Cheam Cricket Club. This dates from 1864 and largely consisted of local traders. Originally they played in Cheam Park. In 1921  land in Peach’s Close was purchased.  52 poplar trees were donated and planted alongside the railway – 35 still survive. There is now a sight sceen along the railway extended in 1987. Originally a Nissen Hut was the bar and canteen and a New Pavilion was built in 193 wjich remains with some additions. The ground was bombed in 1940 and 1944 and trenches were dug to prevent the landing of enemy aircraft
Cheam Sports Club. This is a private sports club founded in 1920. It has many other sports clubs associated with it and which use its facilities. It has a social club and bar facilities on site.

Quarry Park Road
The east/west section of this road, to the north, was part of Love Lane, cut off by the A217.  There were a number of quarries in this area – presumably extacting chalk
The Quarry – this is shown as a house with a plant nursery attached.

Quarry Rise
Quarry Park, This was laid out as a public park after the death in 1932 of Mrs Seears. Several mature trees survive from this date. The site was part of Chalk Pit Field and a quarry is shown here, around which the park was laid out

Sandy Lane
Coldblow. This house is on the corner with Peaches Close . It was built in 1889 for Edward Boniface the local brewer and uis now flats.

Springclose Lane
Church Farm House. This is partly a 17th timber framed building with an early 19th stucco front. It was the home of Mr Hales the last farmer here.
Extension for nurses' home by Thompson & Gardner, 1970s

St Dunstan's Hill
Part of the A217
Seear's Park – the Love Lane footpath runs along the edge of the park. The land was owned by the late John Seear. He left it to his wife who bequeathed to the local people of Sutton - as the Charity of John Seears for Open Space and Recreation Ground. Sutton Council is the sole trustee of this charity. The park lies near areas of scrub and grassland so the wood merges into hawthorn and elder scrub with some regenerating elm. There are some mature ornamental trees from the 19th including a monkey puzzle, redwoods and firs plus some broken statuary. A drinking fountain of 1932 is a memorial to the Seears.
Quarry Cottage. This is in the park grounds and was the Park Keeper's cottage.

Stafford Close
Named for Stafford House which stood nearby

Station Approach
Cheam Station. Opened in 1847 it lies between Sutton and Ewell East Stations on Southern Rail, In 1844 Cheam was on the planned route for the London to Portsmouth atmospheric railway as part of the London & Croydon Railway  When this failed Cheam station became part of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. The station expanded, and was rebuilt but the Great War prevented plans going ahead. The through lines remained in place until 1978 and a wide space between the tracks still remains and shows where the fast lines were laid.

Station Way
The Old Forge. A smithy was established here from 1860 by Moses Barnes and closed in 1926. It was earlier in a pit which was behind the Railway Inn, plus with ten cottages in use 1936.
Railway Inn
Cheam Court Farm. This was in the corner with Ewell Road. It had a 16th farmhouse which was demolished in 1929 for the access road to the station. The farm’s dairy business was bought by United Dairies in 1929 who ran a depot here.
Barn, St. Alban’s Church in Sutton was built of materials from the farm and its barns.
Century House. Offices  on the site of the Century Cinema.  Which opened in 1937,; It was  with actor Tom Walls appearing in designed by Granada Theatres architect James Morrison. It had a plain brick exterior, with three windows surrounded in white stone and a vertical fin sign with the name ‘Century’.  It played mainly second run and foreign films. It was bombed in March and closed for several months. It was bombed again and re-opened in 1945.. Later the frontage was demolished and the auditorium became a car showroom. It has since been completely demolished.

Tudor Close
Cheam Park The majority of the park is in the square to the west.
Site of Cheam Park House. It was built in 1820 for Archdale Palmer, a London tea merchant and was sited left of the drive, where it turn to the stable yard. The House and Park had been were acquired by the Borough on the death of Mrs. Bethell, in 1936, and was first known as Bethell Park. In the Secind World war it was used as a factory to assemble Gas Masks and also used as a first aid station and a wardens post. It was demolished in 1945 after an attack by a flying bomb.

Upper Mulgrave Road
38 Old Westminster House. Converted bank in use by a ceiling manufacturer

Cheam Cricket Club. Web site
Cheam Sports Club. Web site
Cheam Tourist Information. Web site
Cheam Village
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Friends of Whitehall. Web site
Heritage Walk
Historic England. Web site
Imperial War Museum. Web site
London Borough of Sutton. Web site
London Encyclopedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Penguin. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry.  South London
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Sabre. Web site
St.Christopher’s. Web site
St. Dunstan’s. Web site
St Dunstan’s School. Web site
The Kingston Zodiac 

Friday, 1 December 2017

Camden Railway Goods Yard

Post to the south
Post to the south north east quarter square Camden Town

Post to the east 
South West Quarter square Camden Road
South East quarter Square Camden Town

Post to the north Gospel Oak, Gospel Oak and Kentish Town

This posting covers only the southwest quarter of the square
The south east corner is Camden Market
The north west corner is Kentish Town West

Adelaide Road
1 The Adelaide. This dated from 1842 and named for Queen Adelaide. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1985 and is now flats.  The area in front of the pub was once in use as a bus terminus.
Chalk Farm Underground Station.  This opened in 1907 and lies between Belsize Park and Camden Town Stations on the Northern Line.  It was originally on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway which was taken over by Yerkes. It is the shallowest station on the Northern Line at 42' below ground and thus has the shortest lift shaft on the underground. It was designed by Leslie Green with rows of arches and ox-blood glazed tiles. The majority of the original station features are intact including tiling, etc.  The two sides of the station converge at an acute angle – with it has 14 arched windows many since infilled as shop units.  The wording on the station frieze was removed in the early 1950s. The original ticket hall survives with dark green tiling – wooden dado etc is a lighter green and the staircase railings are contemporary.  There is an original clock by the Self Winding Clock Co. of New York which cost £5 but has since been converted to electricity.  It was originally planned to be called Adelaide Road.   It was refurbished in 2005.

Belmont Street
Chappell's Piano Factory. Chappell's was founded in 1811 by Samuel Chappell as a retail only business. They produced their own pianos from the early 1840s, initially in Soho, and then Chalk Farm In the mid-1860s.   Built on ‘the scale of a textile mill’ it had five storeys. In the 1880s it was producing 16 pianos a week. In the Great War the building became a munitions factory, and in the Second World War it became an Air Ministry 'shadow factory', producing canopies and propellers for Supermarine Spitfires. Later Chappels struggled to compete with pianos from the Far East. In 1970 they were taken over by the Dutch firm Phillips Electrical, who closed the factory.  It is now posh flats.
Charlie Ratchford Resource Centre. Purpose-built Camden Council resource centre for Camden residents aged 60+

Camden Town Goods Depot
Goods yard at Chalk Farm, built for the London and Birmingham Railway, and its successor the London and North Western Railway Company, in operation from 1837. Chief engineer was Robert Stephenson although much designing was done by Robert Dockray. This square covers all except the south east corner.  The goods depot was built around the main line railway out of Euston in 1839 on 30 acres of Lord Southampton’s land as the terminus for goods trains, intending an extension of the railway to London’s docks.
The London & Birmingham Railway. It was London’s first main line railway with Robert Stephenson as engineer. It had been planned to reach the docks and a terminus from Birmingham was planned in Camden Town by the canal. However it was then decided extend the railway to Euston Grove. This meant that the canal had to be crossed, as well as many roads, on a gradient too steep for the available locomotives. The level of the land north of the canal was raised with spoil from the Primrose Hill tunnel and cuttings. Thus the first trains were cable hauled up the slope from Euston on what was known as Camden Bank. The first sod for the London and Birmingham Railway was cut at Chalk Farm on 1 June 1834. The Camden Incline was the trial site for Cooke and Wheatstone’s electric telegraph for railway signalling, only one month after it had been patented.
The Stationary steam engine.  When Euston Station was opened the engines were rope hauled up the slope to Camden. Two winding engines by Maudslay were installed underground in barrel vaulted chambers under the main line just north of Regent’s Canal Bridge, There were two chimneys above .the engines and machinery, dramatically sited and a tourist attraction.. The rope was 3,744 yards long and kept taut around a pulley. From Camden the trains were hauled by steam locomotives.  This system was abandoned in 1844 and the steam engines were exported to a flax mill in Russia.  The vaults themselves survive in good condition despite a level of flooding.
Camden Station. The terminus for the London and Birmingham railway was originally supposed to be at a station north of the canal but before the line was built an extension to Euston was agreed. The line opened in 1838 but the access road from the station to the Hampstead Road was considered unsuitable but the station was used for ticket inspections, etc. It was eventually closed.
Camden Goods Depot. This was established initially alongside the Regent’s Canal and the Hampstead Road. It was first exploited by Pickfords from 1841, soon to be followed by LNWR goods facilities. It was also necessary to provide stabling for the many horses that worked in the depot. In 1851 the rail freight connection to London docks was made. From 1839 freight was hauled between London and Birmingham for Pickford & Co. and two other carriers. The layout was undertaken by Joseph Baxendale, of Pickfords.  In 1839 the yard included: the stationary engine house, a locomotive engine house for 15 engines, a goods shed and a wagon repair shop. (The site of the coke ovens is in the square to the east. stables in the square to the south). The yard was extended with new buildings in 1847 including the roundhouse and cattle pens alongside (many other buildings in the square to the east). It was again reordered in 1856 and changes continued into the 20th. Below the yard was a labyrinth of brick vaults, which allowed direct goods interchange with road and canal. (Much of them lying in the square to the east). After the opening of a shed at Willesden in 1873, the locomotive shed at Camden Depot was used by large express passenger locomotives. Steam was replaced by diesel, but the diesels did not stay long and the. The goods depot closed around 1980
East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway. This was connected to the goods yard from 1851. It became the North London Railway in 1853 and was realigned in 1854.
Pickfords. In 1841 they built a warehouse on the south side of the canal at the end of what is now Oval Road for interchange of goods between canal, rail and road. It was purchased by LNWR in 1846. In the 1880s it was taken over by Gilbeys.
Camden Motive Power Depot. This was originally the passenger engine house which dated from 1847 and stood parallel and west of the main line and east of Gloucester Road. It was a rectangular building with stores, offices, workshops and an artesian well. It survived until 1966.  Today it is a site for carriage sidings
Main goods shed.  In 1864 the LNWR built a goods shed to replace several smaller scattered goods facilities. This had a plan area of 100,000 square feet and was the largest at that time in the country. It was further enlarged in 1931
Hydraulic Pumping Station. A hydraulic accumulator tower remains between the main line and Gloucester Avenue on the north side of the canal. It was built in 1866 to supply Camden Goods Depot’s hydraulic systems which were installed from 1853. It is the oldest surviving LNWR accumulator tower. Other buildings now demolished, housed turbine pumps by Mather & Platt, installed in 1923.  The railway has been widened and the lower part of the comer was removed to allow for this.

Chalcot Square,
Laid out in 1850s and then called St.George's Square. Renamed 'Chalcot' in 1937 by London County Council
Chalcot Gardens. This is a small central garden with some acacias, which were fashionable trees in the 1850s. The central garden was owned and maintained by the Trustees of the Broder Estate for the benefit of tenants of the square. It is now publicly accessible. Little changed since the original layout, the square today has children's play equipment in one corner.
36 Turner House.  From before the Great War until 1950 this was a hostel for blind women in the care of the Church Army.

Chalk Farm Road
This square covers the between Adelaide Road and Ferdinand Street. Pancras Vale was the original name of the road
Brick wall. the west side of the road is almost entirely brick wall behind which he railway sites were developed, behind the wall the railway is higher than the road because of dumped spoil and ash and this provided space for coal sidings and coal drops. Below them were vaults and tunnels.
Roundhouse.  This goods engine house is a circular building with 24 rail tracks, each sufficient for an engine and tender, radiating from a central turntable. It was built to house goods locomotives and was designed by Robert Stephenson in 1847. It was built for the London and North Western Railway by R. B. Dockray. In 1869 the engines had become too large and it was used as a wine store by Messrs Gilbey, who added a wooden gallery. In 1965 it became was Arnold Wesker's Centre 42 for an arts centre undertaken by Bickerdike, Allen, Rich & Partners. A studio theatre was added in 1975 but thru project collapsed in 1983, and it was taken over by Camden Council. In 1997, it became an Arts Centre for the Norman Trust by John MacAslan.  It remains an arts centre working closely with young people.
49 Camden Assembly. This is a music venue once a pub called Monarch. In 2000 it was called Barfly. There is a new and different Monarch pub in the road to the south
61Marine Ices. This business dates from 1931 and moved here  2014 to the current site, once called Old Dairy Mews  The business was in Haverstock Hill and belonged to the Mansi famly. In 2012  the ice cream business in the ship styled building  was sold to the Myatts and Ponti’s restaurant group took it over. The ice cream is now made in a factory in Suffolk and the Chalk Farm shop is only a gelateria.
63-63a Majestic Wine Warehouse. In the 1860s this was Bacon’s :Library and latyer Bacons Wilfrid Works and specialist printers. It has been home to a number of works since – including in the 1970s an Australian van sales business.  There is a painted wall advertisement for Bacon’s on the adjacent shop wall.
65 Allison Pianos. There were a number oif addresses for this company which appears to have begun in the 1840s and owners who may or nay not hae been connected. It was eventually taken over by Chappel.
78-79 Joe’s. This was the Belmont Inn and also once known as The Engine Room, Bartok, and since around 2011, Joe's.
Horse trough by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. Appears to be  dedicated to Charles Kingsley

Dumpton Place
Before 1872 this was Fitzroy Place and there are recent moves to rename it Jasmin Mews.  It provided access to the railway works via a wooden footbridge and steps which are still present
Pickford's. The carriers had a depot there 1880s and into the 1900s:
Macfisheries. Kipper smoking works was there in the 1950s

Ferdinand Street
10 Crowndale Pub. This closed in 2006 and is now flats.
27 North Western Pub. Demolished.
Mural of Carmen Miranda
Kent House. Modern movement flats built 1935 by H Connell, Ward & Lucas, This was commissioned by a group led by Lady Stewart, in the Northern Group of St Pancras Home Improvement Society.  Gates and lamps 1980-2 by Jeffrey Fairweather.

Gilbeys Yard
Gilbey's Yard. Housing development, on the site of the Goods Shed, is named for Gilbey’s wine merchants who had many buildings and storage areas throughout the goods complex and in surrounding roads. The housing here dates from 1997. This was an area at the southern end of the site, high above the canal. A turntable and railway lines are preserved here as well as granite cobbles and two weigh-bridges. This area was used by the railway as an ash dump where locomotive boxes were raked out.  Eventually the layers of ash was rolled the ash and railway lines above it. Then the Goods Shed was built here.

Gloucester Avenue
44 The Courtyard. This was the Electric Telegraph Company, Postal Telegraph Stores of 1871.
90 The Lansdowne.  Originally the Lansdowne Arms this is now a restaurant. It is an old Charrington house and still carries some Charrington signage among buff tiling.  At one time the pub opened early in the morning for railway workers coming from the early shift and in the 1960s there was strip-tease at mid-day. The pub suffered a fire in 1985 following which it was reordered and internal wooden fittings removed.
110 Primrose Hill Business Centre. Office development on what was the site of an Engineering Works.  It is also said to be in a dairy building of 1895. Which has been a business centre since 1972. The current offices have included publishing companies.
150 Pembroke Castle. Pub dating from the 1850s and now a restaurant, etc etc etc

Haverstock Hill
2 The Enterprise. Pub dating from the 1850s.
8 Marine Ices. This business was here from 1931 in a building resembling an ocean liner commissioned by the Manzi family in 1947. Gaetano Mansi came here from Italy in the 1900s and had a grocery business in Drummond Street, Euston, He made sorbets and opened Mansi’s Cafe here in 1931.  The business is now further down Chalk Farm Road and in different hands. The building is now in other use and the site is being redeveloped
10-16 Salvation Army. Home of the Chalk Farm corps.

Juniper Crescent
This is a new road built as access into the railway goods yard and from without interrupting the train service. A stretch of wall in Chalk Farm Road was demolished for access and a new bridge and tunnel crossed the railway into the site. Originally Safeways (supermarket) and the Community Housing Association agreed to develop the site together and in 1994 for a a scheme designed by Pollard Thomas & Edwards was agreed and then transferred to Willmott Dixon.
Car park.  A large car park was built to the south of the development for Safeways.  It is on what was originally called Clay Field but the site had been a coal yard since 1855-6 and ash and clinker had been dumped. The car park is thus on a raised areas. Two railway turntables were unearthed during construction.
Morrisons; This was originally a Safeway store. Safeways were taken over by Morrisons in 2006.

Regent's Park Road
Bridge. This is overrail truss bridge which is now pedestrian only
Drinking fountain on the wall at the junction with Haverstock Hill.
Murals.. A steam train, trapeze artists and musicians by Brazilian artist Kobra to tell the history of the Roundhouse.
Hampstead Road  Station. This was opened in 1851 on what was then the East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway. The site was east of what became Primrose Hill Station. It closed in 1855 and another station with the same name opened to the west of the junction with the LNWR. It was renamed Chalk Farm in 1852 and began a relationship with the LNWR Chalk Farm Station. When that closed in 1915 this station remained on the line between Broad Street and Willesden. It was closed between 1917 and 1922. It was renamed Primrose Hill in 1950
Camden Chalk Farm Station. This had begun as a ticket platform opened in 1851 London and North West Railway named ‘Camden’.It was replaced in 1852 to the north west but there was no connection to Hampstead Road station. In 1866 it was re-named Camden (Chalk Farm) and moved adjacent to Hampstead Road and in 1876 re-named ‘Chalk Farm’. By this time it was sharing an entrance with Hampstead Road and there was a footbridge between the two. In 1915 this LNWR station was closed
Primrose Hill Station. This was a renaming in 1950 of a station with a varied history of being called Hampstead Road and a variety of Chalk Farms.From 1986 the Broad Street service went to Liverpool Street with less and less trains and closure in 1992.  The buildings became offices and shops. There have been various campaigns to get it reopened but the buildings were demolished in 2008.

Aldous, London Villages
Allinson and Thornton. London’s contemporary architecture
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Camden History Review
Camden History Society, Primrose Hill to Euston Road. 
Camden Railway Heritage Trust. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London 
Colloms and Weindling. Canden Town and Kentish Town Then and Now
Connor.  Forgotten stations, 
Day. London Underground
Essex Lopresti.  Regents Canal
Field. London Place Names
GLIAS Newsletter
GLIAS Walk 7
Hillman. London Under London
London Borough of Camden. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Lucas. London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Piano Tuners. Web site
Primrose Hill History. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Richardson. Camden Town and Primrose Hill Past
Richardson. The Camden Town Boo
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Tindall. The Fields Beneath 
Wilson. London's Industrial Archaeology