Posts

Showing posts from April, 2011

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne River -Squirrels Heath

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne River The Ravensbourne flows southwards towards the River Rom The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Gidea Park Station. Post to the north Gallows Corner Post to the south Heath Park Post to the west Gidea Park Ardleigh Green Road All Saints Church . Built in 1957 by Tooley and Foster as a very simple brick church with a bell-cote. The church was moved here from Squirrels Heath Lane after the church there was bombed and because of the growth of population in this area. A church hall was added in 1959. Ardleigh Green Schools – Ardleigh Green Junior School & Ardleigh Green Infant School. Opened by the council in 1933–4 and the senior department moved out in 1938 165 Ardleigh Green Baptist Church . This was originally a mission church from Hornchurch. A new school-chapel was built in 1933. The church became disused and has been turned into a family centre following a partnership with local

Thames Tributary River Ravensbourne - Gallows Corner

Thames Tributary River Ravensbourne The Ravensbourne rises in this area and flows southwards to join the River Rom Post to the south Squirrels Heath Post to the east Harold Wood Post to the north Harold Wood Straight Road Eastern Avenue East Built in the 1950s this was numbered A106 but has since taken over the A12 route and has been so renumbered. Construction along with and Southend Arterial Road began as a single project in 1921, and the route opened to traffic in 1924. It was built with a wide single carriageway Colchester Road A12, continues on the line of the Roman Road The Plough . Closed in 2007 – burnt down in 2011. Said to be an old pub site on the Great Essex Road from the middle ages. Woodman’s Cottages. These were adjacent to the Plough but have now gone. Sculpture called ‘Romans’ by David Gerstein. Gallows Corner Said to have been close to the site of a gallows which is thought to have been north of Eastern Avenue East and south of Masefield Crescent. It

Thames Tributary River Rom - Haveringwell

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom continues to flow southwards Post to the north Romford Post to the south Eastbrookend Gorseway Romford Canal - south of the road there is what appears to be evidence of the canal behind trees. North of the road the route of the canal can be traced in undergrowth up the the YMCA car park. Grenfell Avenue Grenfell Hall Methodist church was opened in 1936 on a site given by developer Thomas England. It was two storeys. Grenfell Park site given by developer Thomas England. The park runs alongside the River Rom and Much of if is used for conservation purposes with links to Thames Chase Nature Reserve. Lyon Road Brooke Trading Estate Hornchurch Road Roneo Corner. This was named for the large factory site of Roneo Vickers who make office equipment. During the 1890s part of the site was occupied by a bicycle factory and later, in 1908. The Neostyle Manufacturing Co., who became Roneo Ltd., opened its works here and by 1924 British Neopost L

Thames Tributary River Rom - Romford

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom flows south east and is met by Blacks Brook from the north east . The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs into Romford Station from Chadwell Heath Station and continues onwards running eastwards Post to the north Romford Post to the south Haveringwell Post to the west New Romford Post to the east Heath Park Albert Road 66 Anthony Clifford dance studios . Dance school founded 1994. Previously this was the Romford Working Men’s Club Albert Road School. Now called Century Youth House. Albert Road Board School was opened in 1884. The school was renamed Manor Junior Mixed and Infants School in 1956. Closed 1979. Durham Arms 48-50 Freedom Healthcare . This was once Legge Brothers, Hygienic Steam Bakery. Fencing company at the rear. Angel Way. Trinity Methodist Church . Built 1888 at what was then the junction of Mawney Road and Linden Street. The building was erected by Messrs J.A. Allen & Sons of Kilburn fro

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook - Romford

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook The Brook continues to flow southwards towards the River Rom Post to the west Romford Post to the north Raphael Park Post to the south Romford Post to the east Gidea Park Church Lane Ice and Cold Storage . This building was at the western end where it once met North Street – demolished for the ring road in the 1960s. St.Edward’s Parish Hall . Once used as part of the church school. Added to the church as part of extensions built in 1934 Roger Reede’s Almshouses . Moder n block replacing an older block. Reede was a "Farmer and Cloth Merchant" who died in 1483. Dolphin Approach So called because it led to the Dolphin Leisure Centre, since demolished. The name Dolphin itself commemorates a pub which once stood in the market place. Roman burials found in this area during the construction period. Dolphin Centre opened 1982. It had a pyramid roof but the panels became distorted and loose. The cost of the centre rose and in 1995 it was cl

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook - Raphael Park

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook The Brook continues to flow southwards towards the River Rom Post to the south Romford Post to the north Rise Park Bobs Lane A site of local nature importance Brook Road A ‘Modern Homes’ exhibition in 1934 intended to sell more here and on Eastern Avenue. 35 houses were built in the two roads. These houses are smooth rendered in the fashion of the time. 1 Modern style house 3 Class D house by Leonard Thornton White 5 7 9 modern style houses 13 Class C House built 1934 by Geoffrey Ransome 15 Class C House by J.Moore Simpson 19 18 20 30 modern style houses Eastern Avenue East The road was built in 1936 and changed the aspirations of the 1911 exhibition and plans. A subsequent ‘Modern Homes’ exhibition in 1934 intended to sell more on Eastern Avenue. 35 houses were built here and in Brook Road. Gradually developers opted for ribbon development here and these houses are smooth rendered in the fashion of the time. 320 Built in 1934 by Hol

Black Brook - Rise Park

Thames Tributary Blacks Brook Streams flow down from Havering atte Bower to form Blacks Brook which flows southwards towards the River Rom. Post to the north Havering atte Bower Post to the south Raphael Park Chase Cross The name probably indicates a wayside cross in the forest' or might refer to a local personal name. Until the 19th it was a cross roads of the major north/south and east/west routes through the area. Havering Road Bower Park School – was previously called Chase Cross Secondary Modern School. The school was opened in 1949 and originally occupied the building intended for Gobions primary school. The boys department was built in 1950 and the girls in 1955. In the 1970s they were amalgamated, and in 1973 it became comprehensive. I was renamed Bower Park in 1989. Rise Park Thomas England, a local councillor, had a vision of a green corridor running from Romford to Havering-atte-Bower and in 1937, he donated 23.50 acres of Lodge Park Farm for the creation of

Thames Tributary – stream from Havering ate Bower

Thames Tributary – stream from Havering ate Bower Springs in this area flow south to become Blacks Brook flowing south towards the River Rom. Post to the south Rise Park Bedfords Park In the 15th this was noted as ‘Eries alias Bedfordes’ because part of the estate had been held in the 13th by Robert de Bedeford but before that by a J. Boris. The park has been in public ownership, since 1933, has 215 acres, a nature reserve managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust and a large lake for anglers. The site of the former Bedfords House .is in the eastern part of the park. The upper section was landscaped parkland, with exotic trees, a deer enclosure and its close-mown slopes. Springs seep from the top of the slope into a marshy area to the south. Dragon- and damselflies can be seen around the lake and ponds in summer Bower Park Named this because of the nearby royal palace Bower Wood Named this because of the nearby royal palace Larch Wood Orange Tree Hill Orange Tree Pub . This

Thames Tributary River Rom - Romford

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom flows south east and is joined by a tributary from the north east. Post to the west Mawneys Post to the east Romford Post to the south New Romford Brooklands Avenue Remains of gateway leading to housing on the site of Brooklands Stadium. This was the home of Romford football club 1929 - April 1977 and other sports clubs. There was a small stand and banking round the oval pitch. Later a stand called clockside terrace was built. It was later used for speedway but noise and debt meant it was eventually closed Chesham Close Trading estates Coborn Engineering. Machine tool company set up in Ilford in 1940s and moved here in the 1960s; Eastern Avenue West Built in 1925 Acorn Works was the Metcalfe Bus Company factory which was a private bus works and garage in the 1930s. Gosling Engine Works was also there and was the Star Garage, for private buses in the 1930s. Hubbinet Industrial Estate. Hainault Road Trading Estates Marshalls Park

Thames Tributary River Rom - Mawney

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom flows south eastwards Wantz stream - ditches and springs in this area may feed into the Wantz Stream flowing south towards the Beam River Post to the north Collier Row Post to the east Romford Post to the south Romford Eastern Avenue West Eastern Avenue was built in the 1920s as the A12 and as a bypass for the section of the Roman road to Colchester which went through Ilford and Romford Marlborough Road Imperial Bus Co . There were offices for this private bus company here in the, 1920s. Wantz - a ditch running along the southern edge of this road might be a source of the Wantz stream. Mawney Road Mawney. Originally ‘Mawneys’, a manorial name from the family of Sir Walter de Mauny, distinguished soldier, who is mentioned in 14th-century records and who founded Charterhouse. This was an area for gypsies who made brushes and doormats. The land was sold off for housing in 1883 and laid out like a letter A.

Thames Tributary River Rom - Collier Row

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom flows southwards TQ 49631 90896 Suburban area north of Romford Post to the north Collier Row Post to the south Mawney Road Collier Row Road. This was once a hamlet named from charcoal burners, which grew into a suburb between the wars. Charcoal burners were here in the 15th and 16th in the area of Gobions. This was one of the entry points to Hainault Forest – there were gates here, and the boundary marked with hedges and rows of stones. Gobions Farm. This has a barn and farmhouse and runs a farm shop Maypole Cottage . Late 17th or 18th timber framed house. White Hart Pub . For a while this was called ‘Double Top’ but was demolished in 2006 Lowshoe Lane Corpus Christi Roman Catholic church designed by W.C. Mangan, 1964-5. It is very plain in Buff brick St. Patrick's Roman Catholic junior and infants’ school . 1953 White Hart Lane Crownfield Junior and Infant School . Sources Corpus Christi church. Web site Crownfield School. Web

Thames Tributary River Rom - Collier Row

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom flows southwards TQ 49768 91120 Suburban area built up as part of the early 20th expansion of Romford Post to the north Havering Park Post to the south Collier Row Clockhouse Lane Clockhouse Primary. Weather boarded which is unusual for an Essex County Council building. The school was opened 1936 and later enlarged. North Romford Community Centre . Colliers Row Children’s Centre Hampden House. This was a big house in the area which was home to a series of 19th businessmen including T.F.Nash who bought land here after Eastern Avenue was built – and subsequently built many local houses. Collier Row Lane Tesco on the site of 316 Rex Art Deco Cinema designed by Eric Norman Bailey. It opened in 1939 and operated as an independent putting on a combination of variety shows and films. Closed in 1959. Collier Row Road Colliers Row – means an area of houses of charcoal burners. Shops and a cinema were built after the Second World War. 54-56 Co

Thames Tributary River Rom - Havering Park

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom flows southwards Post to the north Havering Park Post to the south Colliers Row Foxberry Wood South Lodge Lane Lower Park Farm. This was “Little Lodge” in the early 17th and later Havering Farm. It was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th and some outbuildings from the 1860s survive. Willoughby’s Hill. This is associated with the name of a mediaeval family. Thistledene Avenue Pinewood Primary School. Opened 1967.

Thames Tributary River Rom -Bournebridge Lane

Thames Tributary River Rom The Rom flows south west and is joined by the Spurgate Brook from the west TQ 49895 94532 Countryside area with scattered farms Post to the west Lambourne End Post to the north Stapleford Abbotts Post to the east Bournebridge Post to the south Havering Park Bournebridge Lane Crown Park Farm Bournebridge Farm Knolls Hill Farm . This is on the site of a mansion demolished in the 19th. At the end of the 14th century it was owned by Henry Despenser, Bishop of Norwich but had passed into secular ownership by the 16th. In 1606 it was the centre of an estate of nearly 300 acres. In the mid-18th it was a country house owned by Sir John Fortescue-Aland and standing on part of the present farm-yard. By 1835 it had become a farm-house and the house later demolished, cottages being built with the bricks. Traces of the terraced gardens are extant and there is said to be the bricked up entrance to a tunnel that went to Blackbush Farm. Lords Walk Sources

Thames Tributary Spurgate Brook Lambourne

Thames Tributary Spurgate Brook The Brook flows eastwards towards the River Rom Post to the north Lambourne Post to the west Lambourne End Post to the south Hainault Forest Post to the east Bournbridge Lane Bournebridge Road Blue House Farm . 17th house, Timber framed, plastered, and with handmade red clay roof tiles. Cavill’s Walk Plaque to say it was named after James Cavill who was a 19th wheelwright who lived at Abridge Cottage Featherbed Lane The lane has a population of 40 veteran trees making it a good area for bats and has hedgerows to the east and west which is good for ground dwelling mammals. The northern part has a population of maple, elm, blackthorn and bramble. The south has holly and hawthorn, coppiced hornbeam, pollarded oak and ash. Some trees are very old –for instance an ash estimated at 350 years, or a Hornbeam 300 years old Crabtree Hill. One of the highest points in the Hainault forest on the Bagshot Beds this is 80m Hainault Forest Lambourn

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Bournebrook bridge

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook The Bourne Brook continues to flow south west, becoming the River Rom This is a village area with modern houses and older farms Post to the west Bournbridge Post to the north Stapleford Road Post to the east Tysea Hill Post to the south Wellingtonia Avenue Bournebridge Lane Bourne Bridge Knolls Hill Free School . Built 1734 and now converted to a house. Built of red and blue brick. Above the door is written 'Glory to God. Knolls Hill Free School for teaching poor children to read and write, erected and endowed at the sole expence of the Honourable Sir John Fortescue (etc) 1734'.In use as a school until the 20th. Butchers Farm. 18th red brick house. Greenacres Farm Oak Hill Road Maybrand Farm Fishery Twinoaks Farm Straights Plantation Stapleford Road Pinchback Bridge Brook Farm. Industrial and trading area. Stapleford Farm Sources Victoria County History Essex

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Stapleford Road

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook The brook continues to flow south west towards the River Rom Post to the west Stapleford Abbotts Post to the north Albyns Post to the east Tysea Hill Post to the south Bournbrook Bridge Gutteridge Lane The lane was named after PC George Gutteridge and there is also a memorial to him. He was murdered here in 1927 and the crime was one of the first to be solved using ballistic evidence. Stapleford Hall Farm . Owned by the Crown. The farm-house is a late 17th/early 18th century timber framed and roughcast buildings Mitchell’s Farm. 17th house destroyed by fire. Stapleford Road Stapleford Abbotts Village Hall Stapleford Abbotts Primary School. This was built in 1877, and originally included a house for the Head Teacher. Later it also housed a branch of the County Library. Grove House High House Farm Woodlands Farm

Thames tributary Bourne Brook - Tysea Hill

Thames tributary Bourne Brook The Bourne Brook continues to flow south west towards the River Rom Post to the west Stapleford Abbotts Post to the north Curtis Mill Green Post to the east Watton's Green Post to the south Tysea Curtis Mill Lane Martin’s Hern Farm . This was once the site of a hamlet. Brookside Farm Murthering Lane Tyseahill Farm Olive’s Farm High Willows Farm Stocks Farm The Paddocks . On a previously industrial site

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Curtismill Green

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook The Brook flows south west towards the River Rom. TQ 51255 96895 Surprisingly interesting bit of Essex countryside north of Romford with a green area and a woodland theatre Post to the west Albyns Post to the north Suttons Manor Post to the east Murthering Lane Post to the south Tysea Hill Albyns Lane Grafton Farm 40 Acre farm Curtismill Green There may have been a mill in this area – maybe a water mill on the Roding or on the Bourne Brook. It may have been owned by a Geoffrey Curtis in the 13th. Green Farm and Cottages Willow Cottage . 17th cottage with theatre in an amphitheatre in an abandoned marl pit. Richard stone. The eastern boundary of Hainault Forest was marked by a series of stones. This is the most northerly of the stones. It is in a corner of the common at Curtismill Green. Close to the M25 Navestock stone. This boundary stone is south of Richard’s stone and in a small field on private land Curtis Mill Lane Sources Pe

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Murthering Lane

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook The Brook flows north and then loops westwards towards the River Rom Post to the west Curtismill Green Post to the south Watton's Green Post to the south Pyrgo Post to the east Navestock M25 Murthering Lane Brook Farm House . Built 1600 as Timber-framed and weatherboarded with peg-tiled roof. The plan of the house is more like those found in New England US with a winding stair case from ground floor to attic at the front Brook Farm fishery Brook Farm Bungalow Horseman’s Lodge

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook - Watton's Green

Thames Tributary Bourne Brook The Brook rises in woodland and flows north east on its way to become the River Rom Post to the west Tysea Hill Post to the north Murthering Lane Post to the east Navestock Common Post to the south Pyrgo Wood Curtis Mill Lane 2 Curtis Mill Cottage. 16th, 17th and 20th Timber-framed and weather boarded house. A break in the roof line is for the two 2 bays of a medieval building Horsemanside Dycotts Moat. This is a modern farm on a medieval moated site. One outbuilding with 16th timbers Watton’s Green . Long narrow strip of remaining common. Site with local nature interest. Stapleford Abbotts Golf Course. Muthering Lane Spring Farm Jenkins Farm . Early 19th on a 17th core. Timber-framed, rendered and weather boarded, Willow Tree Cottage Little Bumpkyns. 1600 house with exposed timber-framing and peg-tiled roof. Navestock Common This area is the furthest south west part of this once extensive commons area.

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Rainham Marshes

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne The Ingrebourne reaches the Thames and flows into it as Rainham Creek Post to the north Rainham marsh Post to the south Wennington Marshes Post to the west Jenningtree Coldharbour Easter Industrial Estate Albright Industrial Estate Ferry Lane Rainham Ferry – this went from the riverside area where there was once a community. There were enough people there for the pub to be used as a church in the 1850s. The ferry may have dated from the Romans – since roman artefacts have been found at the creek mouth and in the middle ages it had a relationship with Lesnes Abbey. There are records of the ferry and an associated pub from the mid 16 th and the inn was then called The Ferry House. The Long Ferry from Gravesend used it as a stopping place and later Steamers used to call there going to Margate . The short ferry went over to Erith . Back Way . This was the small hamlet which grew up in at the mouth of the Creek around the Three Crowns in th

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Rainham Marsh

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne The river, as Rainham Creek continues to flow south west Post to the north Rainham Marsh Post to the south Rainham riverside Post to the west Hornchurch Marshes Coldharbour Lane Harbour House – office block with many businesses. Possibly built as a hotel. Freightmaster Estate Tilda Rice depot Creek Way Until recently this was Manor Way. Winds along the creek side going to a major waste disposal plant. Ferry Lane Rainham Marshes. Marshland of importance to birdlife because wetland habitat. The Sea walls were unreliable until the late 17th. However in 1953, it was breached with major flooding affecting. The area is criss- crossed by dykes and, the tussocky appearance is down to the cattle. Flocks of birds as large as 4,000 teal have been recorded but there are many others - . Pintails gadwalls shovelers, lapwings, redshanks, stonechats, winchats and yellow hammers. Insects and reptiles also abound and there are many marshland plants. Gatew