Posts

Showing posts from May, 2017

Bookham

Church Road. Bookham Station.   Built in 1885 it now lies between Leatherhead and Effingham Junction on South Western Rail. It was originally built by the London and South Western Railway.  They wanted to build the line into the centre of Great Bookham village but landowners and villagers were opposed and as a result the station was built north of the village in the country.  The original station buildings remain brick and with timber and corrugated sheet steel canopies, stationmaster's house (now a private house) and a cast and wrought iron footbridge. Goods yard. This was west of the station and closed in 1965. The goods shed was used as a coal depot and builders yard and eventually demolished in the 1990s. There are now offices on the site. Photo Me. This company building is now on the Atlas Works site. They make self operated phone booths and a range of related material was set up in 1954 and has an international reach. Merrylands Hotel and Tea Room . This was built by Mr

Bickley.

Post to the north Bicley Post to the east Chiselhurst Bickley Park Road Kyd Brook is under the road here Bickley Park Estat e. From 1861 Ernest Newton built houses throughout the area. The land had been bought by George Wythes among accusations of malpractice. Lauriston House. Care home. St.George's Church.   This dates from 1863 and was provided by George Wythes for the estate. It was built very expensively by F. Bames. It is in ragstone and the tower and spire were rebuilt by Ernest Newton in 1905—6.  The church was bombed in the Blitz and the next-door vicarage destroyed. Subsequently the interior was turned from light to dark by the vicar. Canon Hugh Glaisyer, by blocking all the chancel windows. It was also severely damaged by a fire in 1989. War Memorial . This is in the churchyard and was rededicated in 2016. It is on a square base surmounted by a two stepped plinth tapered shaft and a bontonne cross. There is an inscription on the cross giving dates in Roman numer

Bexleyheath - Pickford Lane

Brampton Road Old lane – before the 1930s almost the only lane through the area, and this is reflected in a sprinkling of 19th country houses, mostly now gone. 164 J. Thorn & Co. pre-fabricated building construction. This firm was on a large site behind housing – now Kingsgate Close. They went out of business in 1969. 142 Brampton Lodge Brampton House. Country house demolished and replaced by semis Brampton Place. Country house demolished and replaced by semis Husdson Road 49 St. Thomas More Catholic Primary School. It was established in 1980 to cater for the educational needs of St. Thomas More Parish and St. John Vianney Parish, Bexleyheath. Long Lane, Another old lane which is now a long road consisting almost entirely of 1930s semis.  There is a small, nameless, green on the corner of Hudson Road The Yacht. This was built in 1938 and is the licence transferred from a demolished pub in Erith. Dartford Brewery and Style and Winch. Pickford Close Racing magnate Bern

Belsize Park

Post to the south Primrose Hill This posting covers only the south west portion of this square. The north west portion is South End The north east portion is South End and Gospel Oak Post square to the west Hampstead Post square to the east Gospel Oak   and Gospel Oak  and Kentish Town Aspern Grove Local authority housing on the site of Russell and Aspern Nurseries and sports grounds. Built in 1980s on land previously owned by the railways, designed by Bill Forrest and Oscar Palacio, Camden Architects Department in post-modern style. It was the borough's last new-build housing; plain pale brick terraces. Previously this area was owned by the railway and a tunnel runs underneath. Post war it was leased to John Russell (Hampstead) Ltd., who developed here a nursery garden, jazz club and public tennis courts plus some light industry. In the 1980s it was developed for housing and following community action the three woodland areas were created alongside. Belsize Avenue Th

Belmont

Post to the south Banstead Downs Post to the west Cheam Avenue Road Built on the line of an old track way Avenue Primary Academy. This was Avenue Primary School which became an “Academy” in 2015. It is managed by the Cirrus Primary Academy Trust.  It moved to this site which had been allotments in the late 1950s. It has previously been Belmont Village School at a site which is now a private nursery. Wildlife area.   This is behind the school and was created in1980 on the old gardens of houses which had backed onto the school fields. The school created habitats and a pond. It has chalk grassland with cowslips and other flowers and also the nationally scarce small blue butterfly. Around the pond are yellow flags and there are newts, frogs, pond skaters and water boatman. 16 Belmont Village Primary School. This was built in 1902 on part of a site designated for a church. When the school moved to its current site it became known as “Avenue School Annexe’. It fell out of use in 1

Beddington :Lane

Beddington Lane Beddington Nursery. In the mid 19th this very large nursery site stood to the north of the railway line and east of the Beddington Lane – and perhaps at the same time a Jolly Gardeners pub should be noted in Croydon Road Beddington Lane Industrial Estate. Industrial area on site north of the railway line. This is light industry and warehousing locations. Tarfroid Ltd later Thames Tar Products and Construction Ltd. They made “bituminous emulsions” but also undertook sheet metal work and welding. They originally intended to produce tar for road surfacing.  They had a siding from the Croydon bound rail line and are noted as opening in 1930 (although not shown on maps until the 1950s) Beddington Lane Station.   Opened originally as ‘Beddington Corner’ in 1855 on the li built by George Parker Bidder between Wimbledon and Croydon following the route of the Surrey Iron Railway.  It is nearly two miles from Beddington itself and in 1887 it was renamed ‘Beddington Lane’.

Becontree

Post to the west Mayesbrook park Post to the east Goresbroo k    Park Amesbury Avenue Fanshawe Tavern , This was built in 1934 as part of the facilties for the Becontree Estate. It was later renamed The Pipers, It closed in 2000 and was subsequently demolished. There are now flats on the site. Arden Crescent 75-77 Pupil Referral Unit Becontree Estate Railway. This was a temporary line which ran between Chadwell Heath and the river during the construction of the Becontree Estate. It operated between 1921 and 1934. It was established by building contractors Wills & Sons connecting with existing goods sidings at Goodmayes and running south through the future estate, to a jetty on the Thames. In this square a branch of the line ran from Porters Avenue to the lake in Parsloes Park Cannington Road Roding Primary School. The main part of this school is in Hewitt Road (in the square to the north) and the school has expanded onto this site since 2000. Ellerton Road Dawson

Royal Albert

Post to the south North Woolwich Post to the east Cyprus and Gallions Post to the west Silvertown Albert Road 199 Kennard Street Community Centre and Health Centre. The health centre was added in 1990 and both redeveloped in 1996 74 Royal Albert. This pub closed in 2002 and became a private house. It dated from 1867 and was a Watney’s house. 76 North Woolwich Health Centre. Built in 1981 and designed by Aldington Craig & Collinge Silvertown Methodist Chapel. 1871-1960 78 North Woolwich Learning Zone.   Adult education centre which is a branch of Newham College of Education. 60 Sweetingham’s Cinema opened in 1912. It was later known as the Silvertown Picture Palace, and finally the Albert Cinema. It closed in 1938 and was later demolished. 39 Silvertown Constitutional Club. This was founded in 1892 and used by the local Conservative Party, Bridge across the railway to Factory Road. This was a cast and wrought iron bridge made by Handyside and Co. There was a trellis a