Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Todd Brook - the High

Todd Brook – tributary to the river Stort
Todd Brook flows south west towards the Stort

Post to the east Netteswellbury
Post to the west Hare Street

Town centre
This was laid out as set out in Gibberd’s overall plan.  the “Chief Shopping Area” to be in the centre with “Civic Squares” and council offices in the south of the centre focussed and local activities around Market Square to the north. Now much of the original street structure has been removed

Broad Walk
Seen as a unifying element in the original plan. 
Redstone House restricts the original links with the Town Centre South as seen in the original plan
Obelisk by Gibberd, concrete faced with Portland stone, erected in 1980 to commemorate the building of Harlow

College Square
St. Pauls Church. Harlow’s main parish church built in 1957-9 to the designs of Humphreys and Hurst. It is in brown stock brick with lots of windows.  A covered way goes over a platform to a bell tower and wayside pulpit. The bells in the tower were brought from a bomb-damaged East London church. Inside it is all bright colours, with Furniture and fittings by Reginald Hurst. The Binns organ came from Monmouthshire and was rebuilt in 1967. There is a 16th sculpture of the virgin and other artistic elements including a Mural by John Piper his first mosaic. It was designed to be able to compete with surrounding tower blocks and big buildings.  It is joined with St. Marys church Little Parndon
College. Harlow Technical College was originally sited near the Town Hall.  It was originally West Essex College of further education, and was built between 1957 and 1968.  It became an area technical college and was renamed and began to expand into neighbouring buildings. It has since moved to a new campus. Housing has been built on the old college site.

Cross Street
Harlow Central Library

Crown Gate
Beaufort House. Job Centre and other Government offices

Dad’s Wood
Housing on the site of Harlow College.

Harberts Road
Northbrook Sports field
Trinity United Reform Church. Opened 1954
Northbrooks House now an adult training centre. Former community centre
Veteran cedar tree beside Northbrooks House
Toddbrook House now a veterinary surgery.  This was Oldhouse Farm and has a 17th stair and turret
Synagogue. Harlow’s Jewish Community dates to the 1950's. In 1966 a Terrapin prefabricated building was erected in two days and in 1987 a new building was consecrated.
The Golden Swift, pub

Harvey Centre.
Opened in 1981. The centre was provided under Gibberd’s plan for which he was consultant and is a good example of an early British example of a large indoor shopping mall. Now owned by Great Portland Estates

Kitson Way
New road introduced outside of Gibberd’s master plan to allow for serving of shops
William Aylmer, Wetherspoon's pub. Built in 1958, Alymer House is named from a family who lived at Moor Hall, the earliest known member of which was William Aylmer, in the 14th

Little Grove Field
Hare Street Primary School. Built in the 1950s.
Meadows Children’s Centre

Second Avenue
Harlow Leisure Zone. Newly built.
Netteswell Plantation. Woodland with a stream, and willow
Heliport. Opened in 1955.  Originally it was a level grass in an "L," each arm being 100ft by 150ft with a concrete raft in the centre of each arm. There were no buildings and no landing fees are being charged. It was opened by Royal Air Force Marshall Lord Douglas of Kirtleside, arriving in a B.E.A. Bristol Sycamore. It is rarely used. 

South Gate
Harlow Magistrates court
Odeon cinema. Rank’s first new cinema after the war which opened in 1960. It was designed by T. P. Bennett & Son. In 1987, it closed for tripling and the rear stalls were converted into two small cinemas. It was refurbished in 2001 but was closed in 2005.
Playhouse Theatre. In 1957, a Theatre Working Party was set up but it was only in 1970 that a foundation stone was laid by Jennie Lee, Minister for the Arts. The theatre belonged, as it still does, to Harlow Council. The Box Office (a hut which stood where Iceland is now) opened in 1971, and The Playhouse opened with a Gala Show starring, Lulu.

Terminus Street
Bus station

The High
The area of the town centre

The Water Gardens
The Water Gardens was designed by Gibberd with Gerry Perrin of Harlow Development Corporation Architect’s Department in 1958/59. However they have been greatly changed by the redevelopment of the town centre and the demolition of Gibberd’s Town Hall. It is sited on the highest part of the area and the Town Hall tower was a focus. The gardens were three parallel terraces with canals, fountains and ponds. The south side of the square open up views of the Essex countryside. Two 250 yard canals were at the top with fountains and sculptures below. The retaining wall was in blue mosaic with seven concrete ‘lions head’ bas reliefs designed by William Mitchell in 1963 and through them water flowed into the lower canal. Seven smaller pools were below this surrounded by hedges. Rodin’s Eve, was put here in 1966, Bronze Cross by Henry Moore in 1963, Hebe Comerford’s Bird in 1985 and Elisabeth Frink’s Boar 1954 albeit replaced with a bronze. The whole area however is being filled up with shops and restaurants and the like. It is now officially described as a shopping centre.
Civic Centre built in 2004
Town Hall, Designed by Gibberd and now demolished. Designed to strengthen the identity of the town centre with taller buildings so there was a tower with a rooftop observation pavilion
The Gibberd Gallery exhibition space in Harlow Civic Centre. It in clued Harlow Council’s permanent art collection, the 'Frederick Gibberd Collection of British Watercolours and Drawings’.

Third Avenue
The manor of Passmores was near the Todd brook and the Netteswell boundary. It is in Domesday and by the 12th belonged to St. Mary Overy, Southwark.  In 1200 it was held by someone called Passemer.
Passmores House. This was the site for Harlow Museum which has now moved.  It is now a centre for people with a substance misuse problem.  A house of 1623 survives within the present building which was extended in 1727, 1832 and 1921. The southern arm of a moat survives as a pond.
Outbuilding 18th Timber-framed and black weather boarded

Monday, 28 November 2011

Todd Brook - Netteswellbury

Todd Brook Tributary to the river Stort
Todd Brook continues to flow west and south west

Post to the east Latton
Post to the west The High

Long Ley
The Moors. A long thin glade with woodland, grassland and stream

Maddox Road
Pypers Hatch.  The Hatches were small local areas providing shops and facilities in the New Town plans.

Manston Road
Netteswell Rectory, Red brick house 1760. Now a care home.

Monkswick Road
Sydenham House Clinic
Jack and Jill’s Nursery
The Heart and Club. Local bar – the name is that of a sort of moth and reflects the use in the New Town to call pubs after butterflies and moths.

Second Avenue
Netteswell Pond. The embanked monastic fishponds of Netteswellbury built on behalf of Waltham Abbey in the 1060s.  At the south side are the remains of the walled garden of the Martin family with lived here in the 17th. This is now a fishery.

Tendering Road
Playing fields

Tripton Road
St Marks West Essex Catholic Secondary School. An academy school

Waterhouse Moor
The Nettleswellbury Manor was part of the endowment of Waltham Abbey by Harold Godwin in 1060. After the dissolution it passed through various ownerships as a farm.  In the 17th a big house was built here by the Martin family, but was eventually replaced by the farm house.
Church of St Andrew. 13th church built of coursed flints and pebbles which may have been built in association with the manor here by Waltham Abbey. There is a bell turret with broach spire and a timber framed porch. Inside, a red brick panel has the rebus of late 15th Abbot Rose, of Waltham Abbey.  On either side of the altar is panelling from the 17th house here built by the Martin family.  It is now part of the study centre having been made redundant in 1978.
The Humming Bird.  Built in 1969 on the site of some of the churchyard.
Nettwellsbury Farm. Harlow Council Care Home.
Harlow Study Centre. Closed.
Monks Barn. 15th building, timber-framed with aisles to north and south and black weatherboarding. The carpentry is said to be outstanding particularly in regard to jointing.  The barn was damaged in a fire in 1970 but has been restored.
Barn. 15th building timber framed with black weatherboards.
Agricultural buildings 15th with timber frame and black weatherboards
Netteswellbury House. Early 19th plastered brick house

Sunday, 27 November 2011

Todd's Brook - Latton

Todd Brook – tributary to the River Stort
Todd Brook flows west towards the Stort

Post to the east Potter Street
Post to the west Netteswellbury

London Road, built in the 1960s as a bypass to the traditional London Road to the east.

Gravel Pit springs. Nature area and reserve

Including some urban woodland

Latton Street
Latton Street began as Mill Lane from the mill on the Stort and continued as Latton Street to and Purfoots Green and southwards.
Latton Farm.
School House. 19th house in grey brick. This was the 19th village school provided by Arkwright of Mark Hall.
Puffers Green. Also called Purfoots Green possibly named from Thomas Proudfoot, who had an estate here in the 14th
Coppins. This was once called ‘Purfoots’.It is a timber-framed house, probably a late medieval hall house. Outbuilding on the east side is 16th in red brick
Brick cottages built in the 19th century for the Mark Hall estate. This was down to members of the Arkwright family – descendants of the inventor – who developed the area and estate in the mid 19th.
Azelea. Plaque which has 'M 1878' on it. Said to have been built as almshouses by the Arkwright family.
Puffers House. House built in 1864 with a clock tower which has a timber spire and wind-vane. Brick house with a central front door in the shape of an arch inscribed 'work while it is day'.   Cast iron rails at the front garden.
Round house, built c. 1750 said to be of Dutch design, demolished 1955.

Pytt field
Pot house, used by 17th potters was probably near the junction with Carters Mead

Second Avenue
Nicholls Field playing field. Mural and pavilion

Tillwick Road
The Phoenix. Took over the licence of the Kings Head in 1957 – which it is probably when it was built. Live gig pub

Saturday, 26 November 2011

Todd Brook - Church Langley

Todd Brook Tributary to the River Stort
Todd Brook rises in this area and flows north
TL 47150 09852

Suburban area which was part of Harlow as a 'New Town'.

Post to the east Church Langley
Post to the west Latton

Brenthall Wood
Ancient woodland with a pond. Piggeries now demolished.

Church Langley Way
Church Langley community centre
Church Langley primary school
Potters Arms. New ‘family’ pub

Kingsdon Lane
Used to be called Mill Lane
Kingsdon Hall. House built 1700 timber framed and rendered. Site of the home of Thomas atte Crosse. In the mid-14th it was the home of someone called Kingstone.  It may have been used as a school in the 19th.

Mallards Rise
Barn for Barnsley Cottage. This is a 16th aisled barn, timber framed and, weather boarded.  The posts and main components are medieval but the structure is 16th
Barnsley Cottage

Minton Lane
Reservoir. Used as a fishing pond. This was built in the late 1960s as a reservoir partly to provide water for Soper’s Farm and it was known as Soper’s Tank. It is now a private fishery – Church Langley Fishery.

Potter Street
Potter Street was of course the old main London Road replaced by the rebuilt London Road to the west in the 1960s.
Potter Street is probably named for potters who worked here. A house called Pot House was leased to two potters in the 17th. This may refer to cottages between Pyatt Field and Carter’s Mead.
7 S & J Juniper. Laboratory equipment works

Red Lion Lane
Kitchen Hall. At the conquest the manor was given to Eustace Earl of Boulogne.  The Farmhouse is 17th Timber framed and roughcast rendered
Windmill held by Kitchen Hall was to the south on the common.

British History online. Harlow. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Church Langley Fishery. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

River Stort - Burnt Mill

Thames Tributary River Stort.
The Stort flows westwards
Fiddlers Brook flows south east towards the Stort
TL 44632 11206

Area to the north of Harlow and around the Stort Navigation.  This is an area of the New Town designated for employment to which industries were relocated from central areas

Post to the north Gilston Park
Post to the east Harlow
Post to the west Eastwick
Post to the west Harlow

Allende Avenue
This was previously Fifth Avenue and is now part of the A414

Burnt Mill
Industrial and warehousing area.

Burnt Mill Lane
Burnt Mill = the area here was a settlement and an industrial village in the 19th.
Burnt Mill. This was originally Netteswell Mill, built by Waltham abbey dates from the 12th.  Known as Burnt Mill since the 16th it became derelict and was demolished in the 19th.
Gilston Mill. On the bank upriver of Burnt Mill.  This was a cloth and fulling mill later converted to corn
Burnt Mill. Factory built on the site of the Burnt Mill. Two-storey, brick-built with a slate roof, this late 19th foundry was built for the marine engineers John Kirkcaldy Ltd. from Limehouse who occupied it until 1930s when they lost Admiralty order. They also built associated housing.  Some buildings were demolished and the rest taken for use as a grocery warehouse and then a projector factory. Now Harlow Outdoors, Centre for Outdoor Learning.
Harlow Town Station.  Built in 1842 for the Great Eastern Railway as Burnt Mill station.  The current building is listed grade II, built in 1959-60 as the main station for Harlow New Town by John Bicknell and Paul Hamilton, for British Railways Eastern Region.  The waiting room is situated on the bridge and it has a glass-fronted booking hall with a large entrance canopy linked to the over bridge.  Towers rise above it housing lift machinery for handing small goods such as parcels.
Terlings Park.  This was the site of a manor house there since the 16th and latterly Terling’s Park House with a boathouse and 2 lodges. It was in outbuildings here that Harlow New Town was planned. It was taken over by the Post Office in 1968 and subsequently the the main house and outbuildings were demolished. It was taken over by Merke, Sharp and Dohme in 1981 and they used it as a research and development centre focussing on neuroscience. They added an incinerator, a robotics laboratory and offices. The site closed in 2006 and to be used for housing.
Burnt Mill Lock. This was built as a turf sided lock in 1766/9 and rebuilt in brick/concrete in 1913.
Lock-house. Built in 1799 with outhouses and sheds. The original elevation faced the lock with two plaques – one with ‘GD’ for George Duckett plus the red hand and the date 1799. The other, LC for Lee Conservancy rebuilt 1913. It was replaced by a modern bungalow in the 1960’s.
Sculpture by Graeme Mitcheson "Short Stort Thoughts" put alongside the lock in 2007. It uses a series of globe shapes to show the link that the Stort Navigation has provided between Harlow and the rest of the world.
Moorhen. One of the Hungry Horse chain since 2010. Previously a boathouse it was rebuilt as a pub in the 1990s. The boathouse dated from the 1950s and was used for boat storage with an adjacent swimming pool
Moorhen Marina. This lake was previously used for model boats and is accessed via a moveable lift bridge.
Parndon Moat Marsh, Part of the Harlow Marsh Nature Reserve. It is between the Stort and the railway. It is the site of a 12th moated manor house, Little Pardon Hall. This was rebuilt on an adjacent site in the 17th and then demolished for the railway.
Burnt Mill Sewage Works. To the east of the moat

Eastwick Road
The western part of the road is part of the A414 straightened in 1960
Eastwick Lodge Farm. Owned by the Carter Family who have been there since 1933 when it was mixed and dairy. The village of Eastwick was bypassed in the 1960s and the village shop closed. Thus the farm began to sell produce.  The new road also meant it was impractable to take cows across it twice a day so the farm concentrated on shop sales. Farm building now also house a variety of businesses.
Dusty Miller. Built in 1846 this was the Baker’s Arms, changed to the Railway Inn in the 1970s when it was purchased by the Brewers.  In the 1950s it was renamed Dusty Miller which is apparently a fishing fly.

Edinburgh  Way
Area of the road between here and the station was a field called Millers Wells – and full of water. Later site of Spring Street and housing.
Tunmannmeade – was an area of strip holdings
Longman Green’s Offices. Publishing house founded by Thomas Longman in the early 18th. Their Paternoster Row offices were destroyed in 1940 bombing and they eventually moved to Harlow on the site of Millers Wells. They are now part of the US firm Pearson Longman.
Toby Carvery

Spring Street
Housing was built here in the 19th and a Baptist chapel. Since demolished.
Bus depot and station entrance.

Crosby. Essex Gazeteer
British History online. Harlow
Dusty Miller. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Essex Journal
Harlow Council. Web site
Moorhen. Web site
Pearson Longman. Web site

Friday, 25 November 2011

River Stort - Harlow

Thames Tributary River Stort
The Stort flows south west and is joined by Fiddlers Brook from the north west

Post to the north Pole Hill
Post to the west Burnt Mill Harlow

Edinburgh Way

In 1952 The Duke of Edinburgh visited what was then Temple Fields Industrial Estate and thus the road was named.  It was, and to some extent is, an area of trading estates and some substantial factories – some of the longer established are shown below. Much of the road now is full of garish burger and pizza bar, cheap entertainment venues, ‘big shed’ retailers and such like.
The Kao-Hockham Building. Now the offices of Harlow Enterprise Hub, this was formerly Great Eastern House purchased by Harlow Council in 2006. It was built in the 1960s for Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd, the British telecommunications company dating from 1883. They had had laboratories in Harlow from the 1950s where in 1966, Charles Kao demonstrated that light rather than electricity could be used to transmit speech. Taken over by Nortel in 1991 who remained in site, but have recently sold the business.
Raytheon. They took over Cossor Electronics who had pioneered cathode ray tubes and later all sorts of TV, radio, radar etc. They moved to Harlow in 1958 in Edinburgh Place where the first British V.H.F. radios were made. In the late 1950s they moved to Elizabeth Way.  In 1961 Cossor was acquired by Raytheon and they continue with Major advances in Radar.
Johnson Matthey Metals, opened in 1954 as the Harlow Metal Co. Their huge Harlow Plant was demolished and they seem no longer to have a presence in Harlow – although as a vast multinational there seems to be very few places where they don’t have a factory or two. Johnson Matthey has been involved with precious metals since 1817 at Hatton Garden where Johnson was in businesses as an Assayer with a gold refinery there in the 1830s –later moving into silver, nickel and much else, particularly platinum. They grew and grew and grew through the 20th. In 1953 Harlow Metal Co. Ltd. was formed to merge the company's mechanical production interests. It was a huge works – but the company histories never mention it.
OI – United Glass Containers, which originated partly as Key Glassworks in New Cross. United Glass had had the largest glass factory in Europe in Charlton, but high south London wages led to their move to Harlow. It is now owned by some American company but manufactures and markets glass containers in Britain from Harlow. The company also owns a silica-sand quarry in Scotland
Harlow Marsh
Marshgate Spring. The marshland is on the flat area near the railway with ditches and reed beds. Woodland slopes from the Queensgate Centre and contains springs that feed the marsh. There is oak, hornbeam, ash, hazel, and willow.
Queensgate Retail Centre


Contrapuntal Forms, Sculpture by Barbara Hepworth commissioned for the Festival of Britain where it stood outside the Dome of Discovery this is two blue limestone monoliths which look very hard to vandalise.

School Lane

Marsh Gate Farm, was once called Redmells Farm. Timber-framed and weather boarded, probably dates from the late 17th
Barn weather boarded, used by the Parks Dept. as a store and depot. Burnt down 2010.
Council Depot

Sunday, 20 November 2011

Fiddlers Brook - Gilston Park

Thames Tributary Fiddlers Brook
The Fiddlers Brook flows south east towards the River Stort

Post to the north Gilston
Post to the east Pole Hill
Post to the south Burnt Mill

Eastwick Road
Fiddlers Bridge.18th red brick bridge.

Gilston Park
This had been farmland with a manor house called Netherhall which had been set up after the Conquest and had a succession of wealthy owners. In 1550, Henry Chauncy bought Netherhall and rebuilt it as a stone house called New Place.  In the 17th the land around the house was enclosed by Humphrey Gore and then became the area of the park. Under later successive wealthy owners the house and gardens became grander and grander.  In 1850 it was bought by John Hodgson who rebuilt everything in the area as a model this or that and also rebuilt the big house. Later it was owned by the Bowlby family and in the Second World War became an officers' billet and then a military hospital for the RAF. After the war it was became a country club and was taken over by Hammer Films who made some films there and then by Smith and Nephew who built a laboratory in the grounds. It has now been turned into private housing.
The House with 'IH' '1852' on the entrance porch built by Philip Hardwick for John Hodgson. Later in 1887 additions were made by A W Blomfield. It is built in limestone rubble in a Tudor style. To the rear is a turret game larder and above a battlemented square clock tower. There is a glass and iron conservatory with a Grotto and pool
Lake. Ornamental Lake formed in the 19th by damming the Fiddlers Brook. There is a dam at both ends but the one at the north end includes ac cascade. This was a reworking of an earlier dam by Philip Hardwick for John Hodgson. The central overflow became a waterfall or cascade over a cliff of artificial stone. In 1902 it was used to drive an electric turbine the foundations of which remain
The Chase –this is a wood which was the site of a medieval manor called Giffards – the remains consist of an earth mound and a moat.
Garden house which is in fact the remains of New Place which preceded the present big house at Gilston Park. It is in effect a 19th porch. This is stucco made to look like stone and there is a bust of Elizabeth with underneath "Fear God. Obaye. The Rial. Queen/Spaines Rod; Romes Rvine Netherlandes Reliefe; Earthes joy, England's gemme, World's Wonder, Natures Chief".

Pye Corner
Plume of Feathers Pub. 300 years old and originally a house. Timber framed and plastered the manor courts were held here from 1702 and in the mild 19th it was the Plummer-Ward's Arms. Outbuildings consist of a 18th timber framed and weather boarded old cow house
War Memorial. Simple column and cross to the dead in the Great War
2618th house
27 House with '1864' on a gable. Red brick, estate house built by Gilston Park Estate under John Hodgson.
28 House with '1860' on a gable. A red brick, estate cottage in a slightly different style to others built by the Gilston Park Estate under John Hodgson.
29 Shiptons. 17th house. Timber framed and plastered House once used as a shop
30 17th house timber framed, and plastered
44 Fiddlers Cottage. 17th house timber framed and roughcast this was once three houses.
88 - 89 two 18th Timber framed house-once a single house
Cast iron pump with double spurred spout near corner of 88
Broadleaf sawmill
Village hall. Built in 1908 by one of the Bowlbys. Over the door is a memorial plaque and armorial shield

Fiddlers Brook - Gilston

Thames Tributary Fiddlers Brook
Fiddlers Brook (aka Golden Brook) flows south towards the River Stort

Post to the east Sayes Park
Post to the north Acton's Lane
Post to the south Gilston Park

Gilston Park.  The laboratory research complex was set up by of Smith & Nephew in the 1950s, the multinational pharmaceutical group.  The area has now been developed for housing. (The house and most of the park is in the square to the south
Fiddlers Brook going through the park to the lake. 

Church Lane.
Overhall Farm. Set up after the conquest by Norman Geoffrey de Mandeville as a manor house called Overhall or Upper Hall.  It passed through various owners and is now a farm.
St Mary. Originally this was a 13th flint hilltop church of a deserted medieval village with a brick tower – which was rebuilt in the 16th and now had battlements and a spike. Then, in 1852 it was ‘restored’ by Philip Hardwick for John Hodgson of Gilston Park.  There is a 13th screen which is an early example of woodwork. The font is 12th.  It is said that once there were medieval wall paintings of devils and sinners. There is a monument to Bridget Gore 1659, a white standing figure in shrouds. The organ was built by Bedwell & Sons for the drawing-room at Gilston Park, and was given by the squire. It was rebuilt in 1939.

Gilston Green Lane
Channocks Farm. Farm house with the date '1854' and 'IH' on plaques – the IH is for John Hodgson Esq of Gilston Park. This is a brock building on the pattern for farms on the Gilston Park Estate and similar to the others.  Barn and farm buildings - the date '1854' is shown on a gable. This is a group with a timber framed weather boarded barn and brick buildings around a horse yard and a cattle yard. These were model farm
buildings from John Hodgson's Gilston Park Estate 1854 redevelopment and perhaps by architect Philip Hardwick

Stable Cottage. This has the date of '1868' and 'IH' on date stones, and it was built for John Hodgson Esq of Gilston Park.
Channocks Farm Cottages
Golden Hill
Rectory Plantation
Dairy Cottages
Rectory. This has 'AD 1889' on a brick panel. It was built by
Fred Chancellor for E S Bowlby of Gilston Park in red brick and Arts and
Crafts style.
Sold in 1978 .

Gilston Lane
Church Cottages. Two houses with'1852' on the gable. These are estate houses on a prominent corner site built for the Gilston Park Estate under John Hodgson.
Black Cottage. 17th
house later extended timber framed and plastered hillside house

Cumberland Lodge. The date or '1855' is on a gable. Built as the Lodge to Gilston Park for John Hodgson and probably by Philip   Hardwick and in similar materials to the main house. Called Cumberland because the main estate of the Hodgson family was at Bowness in Cumberland,

Saturday, 19 November 2011

Fiddlers Brook - Actons Lane

Thames Tributary Fiddlers Brook
Fiddlers Brook flows south towards the River Stort

Rural area with scattered farms and woodland

Post to the east Manor of Groves
Post to the south Gilston

Actons Lane
Actons Farm. Farm house on moated manorial site. It is 16th probably built for the Leventhorpe family but changed in the 18th. There is also an 18th brick bake house. The oven projects under a wooden shelter. Barn, cart shed and byre with bats. On the farm is a mature Dutch, or weeping elm.
Maplecroft Wood. Ancient ash and hazel woodland with hornbeam, field maple and elm – some coppiced. In the centre is replanted ash, oak, hazel and cherry.
Great Penny’s Farm. Granary 18th - timber framed and weather boarded building.   Great Pennys barns are a modern self build project.
Golden Grove. Ancient former elm coppiced woodland. There is also hornbeam, maple, ash and wych elm with some planted conifer. In the spring there are bluebells and patches of primroses

Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex

River Stort - Pole Hill

Thames Tributary River Stort

The Stort flows westwards and is joined by the Pole Hole Brook from the north.

Post to the east Harlow Temple
Post to the north Sayes Park
Post to the west Gilston Park
Post to the south Harlow

Eastwick Road
Pole Hole Farm
Pole Hole Quarry. This is the former domestic waste tip for Harlow.  Landfill gas generated. On the sides of the tip the local geological sections could be seen - boulder clay interweaved with sand.
Vine Grove – houses on the site of Vine Farm, which stood here until the mid 19th.
Pye Corner – on the east side of the road was the Gilston workhouse

Hollingson Meads
Hollingson Meads Quarry. Active sand and gravel workings

Pole Hill
102 18th House. Timber frame plastered and roughcast.

Latton Lock. Built in the 1760s a turf sided structure and rebuilt in brick and concrete in 1915 – and the joins between the two levels of stonework can be seen. One of the original quoin stones for the gate hinge remains.
Latton Mill. This was north of the lock and on Harlow side of the bridge to the north of the lock. It was first noted in 1449 and closed in 1926. Some foundations remain. It was yet another mil run by the Barnard family
Latton Island House. Demolished – it was downstream of the lock. Some foundations remain. A plaque over the door read: “Man may come and man may go but the river goes on for ever”. In the 1890s it was the home of the  Stort Navigation’s ex-engineer who had bought it from the owners in  1889
Sculpture "Mill" by Nicola Burrell put here in 2007
Latton Island also part of area called Maymead Marsh.

Friday, 18 November 2011

Tributary to the River Stort - Sayes Park

Tributary to the River Stort
The Tributary flows south

Post to the north Manor of Groves
Post to the east Redrick Lane
Post to the south Pole Hill
Post to the west Gilston

High Wych Road
Fox Earths
Sayes Park Farm. The manor of Sawbridgeworth was passed in 1189 to Beatrice de Say and the manor took the name of Sayesbury and her family took on the manorial rights and duties. The manor passed through many hands and came to the crown in 1553 when it was leased. In 1572–3 Sayes Park farm was leased to William Lord Burghley, and later other important government officials. In 1689 this consisted of the manor of Sayesbury, Sayes Park farm and other properties – including mills and Sayes Coppice. What is left is Sayes Park Farm – including Park Field, Corn Park, and Grass Park which preserve the name of the ancient manorial park, and Dovehouse Field the manorial dovecote.   The land around it was once a deer park.