Thames Tributary Pincey Brook - Sheering Hall
Thames Tributary Pincey BrookPincey Brook flows south west towards the River Stort
Post to the west Gibbard Garden
Sheering RoadEaling Bridge. In Saxon charters this is ‘Gilenbridge’, or’ Ildenbridge’ and by the 17th it was ‘Yealing Bridge’ over the ‘Pinksey Brook’. It is thus an ancient bridge in the parish of Harlow. It was rebuilt in the late 17th and again in 1830. The county council adopted it in 1889 and widened in 1961
Sheering Hall. Thus was the Sheering manor house until the 18th. It was once moated. The central section is probably 17th and it is timber-framed and jettied. It is described as a ‘Pair of hall houses’ from the 15th and 16th combined as one house and later extended and is a Wealden style despite being in Essex. The arrangement is said to allow two families to live in one building. It is also assumed that there was an earlier manor house on site before this was built. In the early 20th the hall was the home of the novelist, Elinor Glyn
Barn – 17th aisled barn which includes a rebuilt medieval barn
Barn - 17th-century aisled barn
Wagon lodge from the 18th
Stables – 19th later used for pigs. This was part of a planned farm.
Earthworks. South of the hall is an 11th earthwork thought to be a ‘ring motte’ sometimes described as a timber castle. The north east arc is under Sheering Hall and its gardens. In the west are ramparts with an outer ditch. This ditch was dry and remains so but on the south and east sides the moat was filled with water from the Pincey Brook which was diverted.
Chapel – site of moated chapel. This was the free chapel of St. Nicholas, founded in 1275 by the then lady of the manor, with a house and an income for two chaplains. The house was moated and was north-west of the hall. Only the moat remains
The Mores - woodland