Posts

Showing posts from 2018

Epping Bower Hill

Post to the east Coopersale Street Post to the south Flux's Lane Bower Hill Theydon Bower . This was a ‘big’ house built around 1800 with castellations ‘pleasant but fanciful’. The site is now ‘an apartment complex’. Bower Hill Industrial Area. This is the site it Epping Gas Works. The Epping Gas Co. was formed in 1862 and began to supply gas about 1865 as the Epping gas and electricity company.  In 1911 it became part of the Bishop's Stortford and District Gas Co., which in 1949 was merged in the Eastern Gas Board. There were two holders and originally sidings from the railway line – although these are not shown on maps from the 1930s. A number of factories are shown post- Second World War on sites adjacent to the railway. Bower Vale Epping Sanitary Steam Laundry . This was set up by Crispus Cottis. The laundry’s derelict buildings are being replaced by housing Centre Drive William Cottis and Sons . Manufactured everything from ornamental lampstands to hay sweep

Enfield Town

Post to the west Enfield Town Centre Post to the south Bush Hill Park Bush Hill Park Bush Hill Park, park  (as distinct from the neighbourhood of the same name) was opened as Bush Hill Recreation Ground by Enfield Urban District Council in 1908, having been acquired from what had been Low’s Nursery. It was added to in 1909 and 1911. It has formal gardens, rose beds, and trees including horse chestnuts and oaks.   A drinking fountain was installed in 1911 and a bandstand in 1913. Cecil Avenue 2 LMC Construction Company Depot. Chalkwell Park Avenue New River . This runs underground, in pipes, going south. The pipe-run is under allotments to the rear of houses between here and Lyndhurst Gardens St Ann’s and Hazelwood Playing Fields. Entrance Enfield Playing Fields. Only the south west quarter of the fields is in this square. The Fields were provided as recreational space in 1939. The large area of land,  was previously Bury Farm, which was bought by Enfield Borough Council

Enfield town centre

Post to the west Windmill Hill Post to the south Bush Hill Park Post to the east Enfield Town Baker Street The road is a continuation of Green Lanes, part of a drove road into London. In Enfield is also called Silver Street 14 Police station . Post war building.  Outside is an old police lamp on the site corner Burliegh Way Rialto Cinema . This opened in 1920 by Denman (London) Cinemas. It was however leased to Sydney Bernstein in 1925 and redesigned by Cecil Masey and interior designer Theodore Komisarjevsky. There was an ornate entrance facing the Market Place and a posher entrance round the back. It had a ‘straight’ Jones 2Manual organ later replaced by a Christie 2Manual/7Rank theatre organ in 1927. It was re-named Granada in 1967 and closed in 1971. It became a Bingo Club, in later years operated by Gala. It closed in 1997 and was demolished in 2010. Cecil Road Laid out early 1900s. It was extended up to Church Street through the ground of Chaseside house which was

Emerson Park

Post to the east Upminster Post to the west Hornchurch Butts Green Road Emerson Park Station . Built in 1909 this lies between Upminster and Romford on One Railway. The Upminster and Romford Line was built as a branch of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, The station was opened as Emerson Park Halt  on this branch line from where it connected with the main line from Fenchurch Street. On some signage it was also known as Emerson Park & Great Nelmes but later just Emerson Park. One sign installed in the late 2000s reads "Welcome to Emerson Park Halt" .There is a ramp to the street and a canopy covering part of the platform. Fentiman Way Road along the back of shops and including a very large car park. High Street, Called Pett Street in 15th, and later Church Hill. 168 Wildwood . This restaurant is in what was the White Hart Inn which closed in 2006.  The original inn, dating from the 14th or 15th burned down in 1872. This had had an overhanging front and

Eltham Town Centre

Post to the north Eltham Well Hall Post to the west Eltham Common Post to the south Mottingham Station Post to the east Eltham Archery Road Named for the target practice butts which were somewhere near here in 1600 32-62 the earliest houses in the road, built in the 1920s 55 blue plaque to Lord Morrison of Lambeth, 1888-1965, cabinet minister and Leader of the LCC, who lived here 1929-60.  Plaque installed 1977. Baptist Church , this is shown on the current site of no54 before the Second World War. Court Road Built after Mottingham Station was built on an old track from Chapel Farm to Eltham Eltham United Reformed church . This was a Congregational Church. Built 1936 Court Yard Where medieval markets were held with a charter from 1299. The road runs from Eltham High Street and Church to the gates of Eltham Palace. 11 Rusty Bucket Pub . This was previously The Crown, a Beasleys pub rebuilt in 1930 Dobell Road Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses , Elizabeth Terrace

Borehamwood

Post to the north Borehamwood Post to the south Deacon's Hill Allum Lane. Railway bridge . Brick overline bridge.  Once the station stood on the bridge here.  There is now ‘gateway signage’ installed with information about the area. Drayton Road One of the first roads to be developed in the area. 1 Borehamwood Museum . This was set up here in 2000 and has since moved to the new community facility in Shenley Road Borehamwood Engine Works and Loco Packing Company, This opened in 1896 by Charles Braithwaite. They made packing materials for Loco and Traction engines. The site was opposite the end of Brownlow Road and is now occupied by Siskin Cloe and other roads Eldon Road Neptune Studios . This, the first film studio in Borehamwood,  was opemed in 1914. It had one 70ft windowless stage. In 1917 it was sold to the Ideal Film Company.  In 1928, it was sold to Ludwig Blattner who connected it to the electricity mains and had a system of sound recording. In 1934 it was lea

Elm Park

Post to the west Eastbrookend Post to the north Harrow Lodge Park Post to the east Elm Park Coronation Drive Costain’s estate office was on the corner with  Maylands Avenue Elm Park Elm Park Named from Elm Farm which stood to the east in Elms Farm Road. The area was previously covered with Elm woods. It was farmland until developed by Richard Costain who bought the land of Wyebridge, Elm and Uphavering farms for development in 1933.  He had a master plan for a 'country town’ - the largest private housing enterprise in the area which was to be called Elm Park Garden City targeted at a lower income group. They were supported by the Halifax Building Society and apparently influenced by the garden city movement. After the war Hornchurch Urban District Council built higher density social housing here using loans from the Public Works Loan Board for CPOs. Eyehurst Avenue 108 The Assembly Hall , intended as a recreation space and theatre, was given to the Elm Park Residents&#

Effingham Junction

Banks Lane Bridle path leading through woodland to a railway crossing and farm Effingham Common This is an area of wide open space and low sporadic woodland. This is a registered Common with four named properties retaining historic Commoners ‘rights to graze animals and collect wood across the Common. The largest area is open space which has wetland grazing and unimproved grassland. Other sections have scrub woodland, and ornamental planting along Effingham Common Road.  The majority of the Common is owned by Guildford Borough Council but some is owned by Effingham Parish Council, private individuals, or groups of residents. There are two ponds and there was once a tea hut Effingham Common road Lower Farm . 17th farmhouse Norwood Farm . 16th hall house and 17th tithe barn Howard Road Effingham Junction Station . Opened in 1888 by the London and South Western Railway it lies between Bookham and also Cobham and Stoke D’Abernon on South Western Rail. It is actually at the junct

Eastcote

Post to the south Eastcote Post to the east Rayners Lane Post to thee north South Ruislip Aragon Drive Entrance road t o an estate where the road names are all ‘Tudor”. Beaulieu Drive Avanti House . Avanti Schools Trust owns a series of Hindu schools.  This is one of their Secondary schools, with an address in Stanmore. Pinner High School. This was originally Pinner County School. Thus was built in 1937 on the site of Downs Farm, The building was typical of the reduced art deco style of the time. A new gym block was built in 1968. Until 1982 the school was successively Pinner County School, Pinner County Grammar School and Pinner Sixth Form College. Many ex pupils have become famous in the world of music, theatre and sport. In 1982 it was sold to Heathfield School. This was a Girls' Day School Trust private school; they too undertook major building works. Heathfield closed in 2014 and merged with Northwood College. The site is now Pinner High School, sponsored by high sc