Post to the south Bush Hill Park
Bush Hill Park
Bush Hill Park, park (as distinct from the neighbourhood of the same name) was opened as Bush Hill Recreation Ground by Enfield Urban District Council in 1908, having been acquired from what had been Low’s Nursery. It was added to in 1909 and 1911. It has formal gardens, rose beds, and trees including horse chestnuts and oaks. A drinking fountain was installed in 1911 and a bandstand in 1913.
2 LMC Construction Company Depot.Chalkwell Park Avenue
New River. This runs underground, in pipes, going south. The pipe-run is under allotments to the rear of houses between here and Lyndhurst Gardens
St Ann’s and Hazelwood Playing Fields. Entrance
Enfield Playing Fields.
Only the south west quarter of the fields is in this square.
The Fields were provided as recreational space in 1939. The large area of land, was previously Bury Farm, which was bought by Enfield Borough Council with the help of a grant of £3,500 from King George's Fields Foundation, as a result of which the site is also known as King George's Playing Fields.
George Spicer School. Some buildings at the north end of the road
Enfield Electricity Works, 1906. Built by the North Metropolitan Supply Co with transformers to reduce voltage and to convert alternate to direct current. The building is now in other use
Some of the road was once known as Red Lane
Level Crossing. This is a rare gated, manually operated crossing. A footbridge is being considered and it has been closed since an accident in 2012. There are some rights of way issues. A crossing keepers hut remains.
Corporation Depot, adjacent to the level crossing. .The site is now housing
The New River enters this square running parallel to Ladysmith Road. At Southbury Road the new course of the river running south starts and there is an enclosure, control valves and some buildings on the corner of Southbury and Eaton Road. The river then it goes into pipes and runs south underground – the longest stretch under the allotments between Lyndhurst Gardens and Chalkwell Park Avenue and crosses under Lincoln Road.
The old course of the river continues from Southbury Road westward, and is fed with water by arrangement with Thames Water. It continues parallel with the north side of Southbury Road and into the next square, where it turns north.
Oldbury Moat. This stood on the north side of the road. It was a large rectangular enclosed by banks and a moat. There were three arms still visible in 1902. In a corner was a small mound which could have been the site of a tower or a mill. It is suggested that it may have been the original site of the Manor House of Enfield.
Enfield Town Station. Opened in 1849 it is the terminus of the line from Bush Hill Park. It was built by the Eastern Counties Railway on the line from Angel Lane and called ‘Enfield’. It was renamed Enfield Town in 1886. T was built at the crossroads in the centre of Enfield on the site of an old house which in 1670 with a façade and tracery of carved brickwork - Disraeli’s father is said to have been born there. It was also a school attended by John Keats. As a station it had iron railings, and a station masters’ house. In 1875 a service from Finsbury Park was set up and the station was rebuilt. Thus the old house was demolished – there are some relics of it in the Victoria and Albert Museum and a plaque to it in the station. 1Irwas again rebuilt in 1957 By BR architect H.H.Powell. It is a flat roofed building in brick with a ticket office, waiting room, toilets, and cycle store. Additional canopies and shelter were put up on the platforms. All Great Eastern structures have been removed and the station is part of London Overground.
Goods yard. East of the station. Leased for an office block - Pinnacle House
Pinnacle House, but originally; called Bovril House, built 1964 with 7 storeys and shops at ground level. It has also been called New River House. It appears originally to have been Head Office for the Bovril Group.
Savoy Cinema. This was built for Goide & Glassman and opened in 1935. It was in an Art Deco by prolific George Coles. It had a working stage and orchestra pit, five dressing rooms and a Wurlitzer 2Manual/7Rank theatre organ. There was also a cafe/restaurant on the balcony foyer and a free car park at the rear. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas in 1936. In 1962 and re-named ABC, in 1966 the Wurlitzer organ was removed to the West Hallam Social Club in Derbyshire. In 1978 it was closed for conversion into a 4 screen cinema. In 1986 it became part of the Cannon Cinemas chain and was re-named Cannon. It was re-named ABC again in 1996 but closed in 1997. It was demolished in 1998, to provide access to a new Tesco supermarket which was built on its car park.
New River. There is a small site with some control valves which adjust the volume of water going into the pipes.
George Spicer School. The school is named for Deacon George Spicer who campaigned, against Anglican opposition, to establish the Enfield School Board. The school opened in 1912 as a junior school. Later A selective central school opened in adjoining the junior school, and survived until replaced Kingsmead comprehensive school. The primary school remains on number of adjacent sites.
This is on the site of a dairy depot which ran from Burleigh Road to the railway. It may have been for Express Dairies.
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The face of London
Dalling. The Enfield Book
Enfield Grammar School. Web site
Enfield Society. Web site
Essex Lopresti. The New River
Field. London Place Names
Gatehouse Gazetteer. Web site
Historic England. Web site
London Borough if Enfield. Web site
London Gardens online. Web site
London Railway Record
Metropolitan Water Board. London’s Water Supply,
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
New River Guide
Pam. A Desirable Neighbourhood
Pam. A Parish near London
Pam. A Victorian Suburb
Pevsner and Cherry, London North
Sellick. Enfield Through Time
Walford. Highgate to the Lea,
Walford. Village London