Showing posts from July, 2013

River Bulbourne - Berkhamsted

River Bulbourne The Bulbourne continues to flow south eastwards SP 99204 08193 Area of this Hertfordshire town around the medieval castle and the station in the valley of the Bulborne, Steep streets go up to the hills above the town to the north. Post to the west Gossoms Post to the south Berkhamsted Berkhampstead Castle . This is on the northern slope of Bulbourne valley and near Akeman Street – strategically guarding the Tring gap.   After the battle of Hastings, William marched northwest to the Thames at Wallingford, and Edgar, with London leaders came to Berkhampstead to surrender. The Conqueror gave the castle to his half- brother Robert, Count of Mortain, who probably built the existing earthworks. His son William lost Berkhamsted in 1104, after a failed rebellion and Henry I gave it his Chancellor, Randulph and it later reverted to the Crown. 1155- 1165 Thomas Becket held it as Chancellor, and the oldest masonry probably dates from then. In 1216 it was besieged in a di

River Bulbourne - Gossoms

River Bulbourne The Bulbourne flows south eastwards Post to the west Northchurch Post to the east Berkhamsted Belton Road Until the mid 1920’s the area was rough pasture and marsh.   The ground along the stream has been made up with household rubbish, probably in the 1930s. It was built on with housing and warehousing post-Second World War. Billet Lane Ford – this preceded the bridge over the stream, but the flow was much greater before the mid-2oth Bulbourne Bridge Bridge over the Grand Union Canal Railway Bridge Gas works    Built in 1906 replacing a works to the east.  Gas production at the works ceased in 1955. One holder remained into the 1980s but has now gone Gas Works railway .    An extemsion to the rail line ran from the station good yard to the gasworks coal traffic.   It arrived at a small staithe where coal was transhipped into narrow gauge wagons for carryage it to the gasworks. The line to the works went through a small tunnel in the main line embankment

River Bulbourne, Northchurch

River Bulbourne The Bulbourne flows south eastwards Post to the north Northchurch Post to the east Gossoms Ashby Road Home Farm. This was on the corner with Covert Road. Buildings on the site appear to be a conversation of stable and other building. Bell Lane Grim's Ditch . A 210m Long Section Immediately North West of Woodcock Hill Northchurch Social Centre , run by The Northchurch and District Association. At a public meeting held by the Rector in 1962, it was agreed that a new hall was needed. Money was collected door to door and in 1965 the site was acquired and the centre built with the addition of grant money. Everyone over 18 in Northchurch and the Western part of Berkhampstead are automatically members. Burial Ground. This was the site of a Baptist chapel built in 1840 which grew until by the late 1870s it has a schoolroom and vestry. It was demolished in 1920. Bell Lane Cottages . Built in the 1920s-30s Mechanics Institute , this was on the north corner with

River Bulbourne - Northchurch

River Bulbourne The Bulbourne flows south eastwards Post to the south Northchurch Grand Union Canal North Church Top Lock No.69 Back pumping station . This is where there is a British Waterways borehole from which water can be back-pumped to the Tring summit using equipment installed upstream. High Street The High Street follows the line of Roman Akeman Street Recreation Ground New Road New Road Cemetery . In use since the 1920s. Northchurch House with stable yard, etc Woodside Cottage – 18th or earlier in brick probably around a timber frame with red brick 19t extensions. Said to have been the parish Pest House Deep well in front of house with brick curb and wood winding gear. Northchurch Common, The common, partly now owned by the National Trust, stretches considerably beyond this area to the north and joins Berkhampstead Common to the west. Sources Canalplan. Web site Dacorum Council. Web site English Heritage. Web site

River Gade - The Magic Roundabout

River Gade The Gade flows southwards and is joined by the Grand Union Canal from the west which also leaves it to the east Post to the north Hemel Hempstead Post to the west Boxmoor Post to the south Two Waters Albion Hill Primitive Methodist chapel built here in 1861 just off the eastern side of Lower Marlowes but the society seems to have quite collapsed quite quickly. By 1883 the building WAS occupied by the Salvation Army and known as the “Old Glory Shop”. The Salvation Army moved in 1908 and building became Hemel Hempstead’s first cinema, the Electric Theatre in 1909. A new stage at the back was added in 1912 but by 1916 it was no longer licensed. The building was further enlarged and re-opened wharf as the Aero in 1920. This closed in 1925. Then it was used as a printing works and had been demolished by 1968. The Marlowes Shopping Centre now covers its former site somewhere in the vicinity of the unit now occupied by River Island. Bank Court Statue.   The discobolus wa