Posts

Showing posts from September, 2014

Great Eastern Railway to Chingford. London Fields

Great Eastern Railway Line to Chingford The Line running from Cambridge Heath Station goes northwards Post to the south South Hackney Post to the north Hackney Central This posting covers only the south east corner of this square Bayford Mews Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association and a blue plaque which says they were founded here in 1959. Bayford Street Bayford Street Industrial Centre Site of Pembroke House which has been built in the 17th by William Parker.  In 1799 it became a school for the deaf and dumb founded by Thomas Braidwood who had moved here from Edinburgh in 1783. It continued here by his family until 1810. In 1818 the house was used by an institution to house East India Company employees who had become insane in India. It remained here until 1880 when the area was acquired by the Great Eastern Railway.  Warburton was involved and managed this as he did with other insane asylums in east London and it was later known as Dr. Warburton's House. Exmout

Great Eastern Railway to Chingford. South Hackney

Great Eastern Railway to Chingford The railway line to Chingford continues north running from Cambridge Heath Station Post to the south Cambridge Heath Post to the north London Fields This post covers only the north east corner of this square Andrews Road Before the Second World War the area to the north of the curve in Andrews Road was houses in residential streets. 43 London Borough of Hackney. Car pound. Ash Grove Before 1900 Ash Grove was a residential street and there appear to have been a number of charitable religious institutions in them. St Mary .  Franciscan convent also described as Franciscan Nunnery. Present in the 1870s Orphanage. This was for boys orphaned by cholera and opened in 1866 by the Revd. R. Tuke of St. Anne's, Soho. He set up the order of St. Joseph, which adopted the Franciscan habit but which was disbanded on his conversion to Roman Catholicism in 1867. It appears that some of the sisters working at the orphanage also converted with him.

Great Eastern Railway to Chingford Cambridge Heath

Great Eastern Railway to Chingford The Great Eastern Railway continues northwards from Bethnal Green Station and East Junction. TQ 34847 83496 Bethnal Green and south Hackney around the Regents Canal. This includes the old Bethnal Green civic centre around Patriot Square, many pubs, hospitals, gas works and churches. There were also many industrial sites of all sorts - in this area of course the furniture trade, but much else. Post to the south Bethnal Green Post to the north South Hackney This post covers only the south east corner of this square Andrews Road 48-50 Beehive Works, James Hoyles and Son. This is a working iron foundry on the site of an old timber yard. They claim to have been founded in 1880 50-53 warehouses are the former Ashmore’s Furniture Works Bishops Way 15 George and Dragon Pub. Open by the 1860s and closed after the Second World War Printing works north side behind houses Cambridge Crescent Some addresses in this street were once in Felix S

Great Eastern Railway to Chingford. Bethnal Green

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford The Great Eastern Railway turns north from East Junction and Bethnal Green Station TQ 34773 82649 This posting covers only the north east section of the square This is the inner city and adjacent to the old East End. There are the remains of much philanthropic housing and social support - some of the university settlements. There are also numerous pubs and remains of pubs. There are several schools. In these back streets there were once many small industrial units - and larger once, silk, lead and pharmaceuticals. Post to the south Three Colt Lane Post to the west Bethnal Green Post to the north Cambridge Heath Post to the east Bethnal Green Ainsley Street Flats.   The area was cleared of its 18th housing in 1868-1880 for blocks of Sydney Waterlow's Improved Industrial Dwellings Co. This was his company's first attempt on this scale with five-storey blocks on both sides of the street. They were selectively

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Shenfield

The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield The railway from Brentwood Station arrives at Shenfield Post to the south Hutton Mount Alexander Lane Shenfield High School . The school dates from 1962 and is now an ‘academy’. It was built by Essex County Council in 1959 as Shenfield County Technical School. Alexander Lane Recreation Ground, sports fields. Alexanders Farm and pond. This stood on the north side of the bend at the eastern end of the lane.  There were farm cottages across the road from it. Chelmsford Road Wynbarns Farm . This includes a 16th Barn which is Timber-framed, and weatherboarded. The roof was retiled following Second World War damage. The Rose Pub . This was a terrace of 4 cottages dating from around 1700. It was converted to a beer-house in the early 19th. The building is timber-framed and plastered. Hunter Avenue Car park –another large car park on the site of railway sidings to the west of the main line. This is also a work site

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Hutton Mount

Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield The line running from Brentwood Station runs north eastwards Post to the south Thrift Wood Post to the north Shenfield Abbots Close On the site of Shenfield brickwor ks. The company took over the Cranham brick works in 1906 and became the Shenfield and Cranham Brick Co. and later Colliers. Bricks were hand made and sold as ‘Shenfield Reds’ and ‘Shenfield Brindles’. Brockley Grove Hutton and Shenfield UC Lawn Tennis Club. The Club was established in 1919 and has about 150 adult and 100 junior members using five astroturf courts, four with floodlights Hutton and Shenfield Union Church. The church was founded in 1913, by the Baptist and Congregational Unions, to serve the growing community in and around Hutton Mount. Thus the ministry alternates between the Baptists and the United Reformed Church. Brockley Wood Herrington Grove Built on the area of what was Herrington’s Farm Hutton Road 63 Shenfield Library Mount Area Th

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield - Thrift Wood

The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield The line runs north eastwards from Brentwood Station Post to the west Shenfield Common Post to the north Hutton Mount Hanging Hill Lane 5 Hare Hall . 16th house with alterations from 1965. It is timber-framed, and part plastered with exposed false framing and part weatherboarded, Gypsy Corner Hare Hall Shaw This is a small area of woodland kept as a screen for various housing developments from the 1970s and 1980s and is the remnants of what was once a large expanse of woodland. Species include Hornbeam coppice with occasional pedunculate oak and ground flora including bluebells.  It is maintained by Brentwood Borough Council.  There is a pond at the south end. Thrift Wood This large ancient woodland is used as a Scout camp and consequently the woodland contains many buildings and areas for tents and activities. The woodland comprises hornbeam coppice with pedunculate and sessile oak. Other tree and shrub species

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Shenfield Common

Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield From Brentwood Station the line curves sharply north eastwards Post to the west Brentwood Post to the east Thrift Wood Hogarth Avenue Endeavour School . School for children with complex needs. It was opened in 1970 Ingrave Road Four Oaks . This was Brentwood Cottage Hospital which opened around 1883 and was rebuilt in 1895, due to the efforts of Dr. J.C. Quennell. In 1921 it became part of a war memorial to men killed in the Great War and was renamed Brentwood District Hospital. In the 1930s there were plans to extend it but a 20 acre site in Crescent Drive was offered for a new Hospital which opened in 1934 as the Brentwood District Hospital. In 1947 the Ingrave Road site became a maternity hospital and joined the NHS in 1948 as the Brentwood Maternity Home. It closed in 1974.  The buildings are now a housing scheme. On the southern elevation is a plaque to Dr. John Cooper Quennell, who did much to enable rebuilding o

Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Brentwood

The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs westward from Harold Wood Station, into Brentwood Station, and beyond TQ 59807 93737 This is central Brentwood - as a substantial Essex Town, with a busy High Street with many old buildings. There is a Roman Catholic Cathedral, old established schools, ruins of an ancient chapel and some important industrial sites, notably the Thermos factory. Post to the west Brentwood Post to the east Shenfield Common Alexandra Road Engine Shed . This was in the space at the eastern end of the road used as the station car park. The shed closed in 1949. It had three roads and was opened in 1872. Coptfold Road This was once called Love Lane Coptford House . Private flats in what were council offices. This was built in the 1970s and used by Essex County Council's social services.  This is on the site of what was a school. The National Schools moved here in 1869 having originally been founded in the 1830s. They were set