Wednesday, 29 February 2012

River Lea - Wild Marsh

River Lea
The River Lee, The Lea Navigation, the Aqueduct and Pymmes Brook all flow southwards

Post to the north Angel Road industry
Post to the east Banbury Reservoir
Post to the south Lockwood Reservoir

Argon Road
British Oxygen. In 1901 Aerators Ltd., - later Sparklets - built a new factory at Angel Road, where anew factory was built. After the war it sold most of the site to the British Oxygen Co. who extended the premises.  The works is known as the BOC Process Plant - up to 1992 it was Cyroplants, and it was an engineering works. They made Vacuum Insulated Tanks.  The large buildings which they use were bought from the Scott Lithgow Shipyard on the Clyde in the 1980s.

Banbury Reservoir 
Valve tower

Glover Road
Gothic Works. The works was built in 1897 by T. Glover Co., gas meters makers and R. and A. Main, who made gas stoves.  The two companies amalgamated in 1956 and became part of Thorn Electrical Industries. Another factory was built on the site in 1951 for Main Enamel Manufacturing Co.  Closed in 1983

Kingsway Industrial Estate

Lea Navigation.
Edmonton Cut - 5 miles from Tottenham Hale to Ponders End. Built by Thomas Yeoman in 1770
The footpath to Wild Marsh marks the site of a Ferry across the Lea.  In 1687 it was called Boultons or Games. The Ferry House was on the West Bank and was rebuilt in 1836. In 1870 it was bought up by the East London Waterworks and closed as part of the works on the Banbury Reservoir.
Chalk bridge, Carries a right of way over the Navigation. It also marks the boundary between Haringey, Waltham Forest and Enfield London Boroughs. The bridge was closed in 2005 and a new bridge installed to the south.

Leeside Road
Gasholder. Built by Tottenham and Edmonton Gas Works, who had powers to expand on this site from 1882

Meridian Way
Tottenham Marsh Electricity Transformer Station, dates from 1966

Towpath Road
Dorford Wharf.  Site of timber yard of L. Hall Ltd., timber importers and saw-millers. Opened here in 1928
Arriva Edmonton Depot. This was previously a timber yard.

Wild Marsh
Wild Marsh East and Wild Marsh west are either side of the Lea. In the late 19th the river was diverted across Wild Marsh East in order to allow for reservoir building. After the Second World War the area was used for landfill and gravel extraction.

Victoria County History Chingford
Pevsner and Cherry London North
London Water Supply 1903-1953. Metropolitan Water Board
Lewis. London's Lea Valley More Secrets Revealed
Enfield Archaeology Society, Industrial Archaeology of Enfield
Lea and Stort Navigation web site

River Lea Banbury Reservoir

River Lea
The River Lea and the Aqueduct flow southwards towards the Thames. They are joined by the River Ching from the east

Post to the north Chingford Mill
Post to the east Walthamstow Stadium
Post to the west  Wild Marsh

Just south of the North Circular road this enormous reservoir fits into a bend in the Lea as it flows southwards together with other channels. It is now used for sports as well as water supply although the huge Greaves Pumping Station appears semi-derelict.  The reservoir is surrounded by 20th century housing and facilities with several important industries, which once included Phillips records factory.

Banbury Reservoir
Built under East London Water Works Acts of 1897 and 1900. Taken over by Metropolitan Water Board when opened in 1903. Now used by Lea Valley Watersports Centre.  The River Ching joins the Lea inside the reservoir 

Banbury Road
Housing – early 21st housing built round the reservoir on what was Water Board land.

Burnside Avenue
Chingford Hall Primary School
Chingford Hall Children’s Centre
Paradox Community Centre
The Gardeners Arms. Closed 2010

Cabinet Way
Deacon Estate – Trading Estate.

Chingford Hall Estate
This consisted of three tower blocks.  Built in 1966 and since replaced with low rise housing.

Folly Lane 
Golf Driving Range
Waltham Forest Muslim Cemetery. Run by a trust, the first burials were in 1991
Folly Lane Community Woodland

Harbut Road
Greaves Pumping Station. Built by the East London Water company in 1903 to serve both the Banbury and Lockwood reservoirs. . It was named after Charles Greaves, engineer to the company 1851 - 75. Long, low red brick classical building which has three Tangye vertical reciprocating engines, and three Lancashire boilers. The steam plant replaced by electric pumps in the early 1970s when the chimney was also demolished. It is now used by Lea Valley Watersports Centre
Lee Valley Watersports Centre Local watersports club on the reservoir

North Circular Road
The earliest construction of the road was in 1927.  In the 1920s the Government began a programme of ‘arterial roads’ and the North Circular was planned to link the Leytonstone with Hangar Lane. It was also thought that building it would provide for the unemployed.   

Peacock Close
Travellers site

River Ching
Straightened when the reservoirs were built in the early 20th.  It was then allowed to flow into the River Lea north of the Banbury Reservoir.

River Lea
Salisbury Hall owned a fishery later known as the Blue House and Later still as Game's Water. The site was covered by the Banbury reservoir.

Shadbolt Avenue
Trading estate named after the veering works

The Aqueduct
The Aqueduct was built in the early 20th.  It was cut from Waltham Abbey and goes to the Greaves pumping station. It is three and half miles long, brick lined along its whole length and in semi circular section.  It continues on from the Greaves skirting the Banbury and Lockwood reservoirs to the west to reach others further south.

Trinity Way
Trading Estate

Walthamstow Avenue
Philips Records Ltd. factory opened in 1958. Modern pressing plants installed there
National Plastics Ltd., which made plastics building components opened a plant here in 1953.

Victoria County History Chingford
Pevsner and Cherry North London
Neale. Chingford Water
London's Water Supply. Met. Water Board
Lea and Stort Navigation web site
Pronze Chingford History
Smith & Carr Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire and the Lea Valley

River Ching Walthamstow Stadium

River Ching
The Ching flows south west and then turns North West

Post to the west Banbury Reservoir
Post to the east Hale End

Chingford Road
Christ The King.  Roman Catholic Church built in 1996 by Scott Tallon Walker, replacing a church of 1932.  It is a landmark on the North Circular Road in Brown brick with a triangular bell-tower. Inside are furnishings by Herbert Read of St Sidwell's Artworks, Tiverton. There is a small Blessed Sacrament chapel, with an engraved metal tabernacle and abstract stained glass by Sarianne Durie, 1998.
Greyhound stadium. This was opened in 1931 by William Chandler and remained in his family.  It replaced a stadium set up by the Walthamstow Grange Football club and institute and part of the land used was the Myrtle Grove Sports Ground. It is a survivor of a popular suburban working-class entertainment of the earlier 20th. It was also used for motor cycle speedway and stock car racing and the speedway track is said to remain on site. It has a long white concrete frontage with stepped art deco parapet built in 1932, plus red tubular railings which front a parking area. It once had a clock tower and a night club was opened in its remains. Thus is very striking at night when the neon lighting, installed for the 1952 coronation, is visible. There are two original totalisator boards designed by Thomas Edge of Woolwich. The stands, designed by Captain Meston, have cantilevered roofs, one of concrete, the corrugated metal, with a hospitality suite from the 1980s. The River Ching runs under the south stand in a culvert. The kennels are arranged in a crescent. Closed in 2008 and likely to be housing.
Roadside grassed waste outside the Greyhound Stadium is part of Epping Forest. The Ching runs under it in a culvert
Tarmaced area across the road from the stadium was used as a parking area for patrons to it.
Salisbury Hall. This was a local manor mentioned in 1303. Its land lay between Billet Road and the Chingford boundary and with s fields on Folly Lane and Chingford Road. It was sold to the Crown in the mid-16th and in 1564 was leased to Elizabeth’s old tutor and academic, Roger Ascham. The land was eventually sold for development in 1904. The hall itself was first mentioned in 1499 lying south of the Ching on the west side of Chingford Road.  A timber framed house was built here in the 16th which was demolished by the local council in 1952 when excavation revealed it’s the medieval foundations.
Playing fields opened here in the early 20th by Hackney based Major Charles Villiers for Hoxton Manor boys club. The land had previously been a dairy farm on the site of Salisbury Hall.
Hoxton Manor Allotments. The allotment site was set up in 1957 on what had been council run playing fields. This was for plot holders who had lost sites at Eton Manor allotments because of the building of Ruckholt Road.
Salisbury and Blades Playing Field
Goals Chingford

Empress Avenue
Houses from the pre-Great War period with the Ching providing the north boundary,

Higham Station Avenue
The name of the road indicates that it was intended to stretch through to Highams Park Station – and old maps show it joining to Merriam Avenue.  However extensions to the Xylonite works blocked its route.
Larkswood factory. This extension to the British Xylonite works stood at what is now the end of the road. Here Lactoid was made by BX Plastics was made from 1922. Lactoid is a Casein plastic based on a process using milk curds. There is now housing on the site.

Marlborough Road
Highams Park and Chingford Affiliated Synagogue. Founded in 1932, in other premises. This modernist brick building was opened in 1937. It has a tiled entrance.
Marc and Adele Blair hall. Youth centre built in 1968 to match the synagogue.

Morrison Avenue
Morrison Store

Nelson Road
Parminters School Sports grounds. Parminters School was based in Bethnal Green, and is now in Watford. In 1920 land was purchased in Highams Park to provide a sports ground.  The school now has its own sports centre in Watford and this ground, which was sold to the local authority, is used by local teams. An arrangement with the Old Boys Association continued for a while after the sale.

North Circular Road

Rushcroft Road
Rushcroft Sports College. Secondary school

Hale End Sports Ground
This was previously known as the London Hospital Athletic Ground.

Walthamstow Avenue
Holiday Inn Express. The front was built as headquarters for Hitchman's Dairy with lots of green-glazing and green pantiles on the roof. It was opened in 1938 for milk processing. Hitchman’s Dairies had evolved from local farmers one of whom was John Hitchman who  leased Wadham Lodge farm from Wadham College in the 1860 and gradually took on other local farms in the Highams Park area. He retailed milk in the area throughout the late 19th.  After the Great War Hitchman's were taken over by Davies and Williams, and the firm became Hitchman's Dairies Ltd.  And In 1938 this building was opened on what was then Walthamstow Avenue. They became part of the Unigate group selling milk in most of north east London.
Sainsbury’s Supermarket

Chingford as it Was
Victoria County History Chingford
Ray Chingford Past
Walford Village London
London Encyclopedia
Field. Place Names of London
Hayward  Streets of Chingford
Christ the King. webside
Walthamstow Stadium website
Hoxton Manor Allotments website
Caseino website
Plastics Historical Society website
Highams Park and Chingford Synagogue website
British History Walthamstow website
London Borough of Waltham Forest Sports Fields web site
Rushcroft College web site

Tuesday, 28 February 2012

River Ching - Hale End

River Ching
The River Ching flows westwards

The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Chingford runs northwards from Wood Street Station, through Highams Park Station and onwards

Post to the east Woodford Green
Post to the west Walthamstow Stadium
Post to the south Walthamstow
Post to the north Chingford Hatch

Castle Avenue
Built on the site of Castle Field, also called Castle Cold William. Sold in 1877 to become the Haile Park Freehold Building Estate.
Hale End Library. Built in 1963 on the site of a house which had previously been used as the library by Drummond Clapp. Some of the structure of the original house was retained. Done up 2007.

Cavendish Road
Baptist Church. This began in 1913 as a mission in a local school which was set up as a church in 1915. There was a building here in 1917 but the present church, with a simple red brick front, dates from 1932.
The Fellowship Hall adjoining was opened in 1956.

Church Avenue
An area of semi-detached interwar houses with some Art Deco features.
All Saints Church. Built in 1897-8 by J. Lee and Sons in red brick.  It was provided to meet an increased population in the area as a mission church from a Walthamstow parish. It was originally called St.Matthews but the name was changed to allow for legacy which has stipulated money only for ‘All Saints’ church. When the other nearby All Saints church was demolished this became the parish church.  It includes the war memorial from the other church.

Hale End
This area was a clearing in the forest called ‘North End’ or ‘Wood End’. In 1285 a Water de la Hale lived there but ‘Hale End’ became used as the name only in the 17th when a Thomas Hale lived there. 

Hale End Road
As the ground rises the houses get posher
Regal Cinema. This opened as the Highams Park Electric Theatre in 1911 by Oscar Watling and designed by W.A. Lewis. It was re-named Regal in 1928. It was partly rebuilt in 1935, by Howes & Jackman with an Art Deco facade and foyer. There was a cafe was added in the circle and Rutt Theatre organ built by Spurden Rutt of Leyton. It closed in 1963 and converted to bingo but soon reopened as a cinema until 1971 when the bingo came back. The stalls became a snooker hall and this continues while the bingo has closed again. The organ is now in a museum.
Parade of Arts and Crafts style shops
420 County Arms. This dates from 1908 and belonged to the Herts & Essex Public House Trust Co, and was thus called the Trust House. It was re-named the County Arms in 1909.
Swallow Court. Site of Beech Hall Farm House, latterly used as a working men’s club and since demolished. It had been home to Robert Halfhead and before that Edward Forster, banker.
Hale End Village Green is the triangle of land in front of the Royal Oak at the junction with Oak Hill.
Royal Oak, a jolly pub which was rebuilt in 1906.

Handsworth Avenue
Handsworth Avenue Primary School
Highams Park School. The school was originally the Sidney Burnell School opened in for infants through to 14 year olds. Sidney Burnell was Director of Education for the Borough of Walthamstow in 1920. In the late 1940s, it became a secondary modern school. In 1965 it became a comprehensive school named Burnell School and pupils from 14 to 18. In 1974 the name changed to Highams Park School. In 1997 it became a specialist school College and in 2011 it became an Academy. It is a Large, plain Essex County Council Secondary like many others built between the wars

Hickman Avenue
Rolls Sports Ground – Rolls being the name of a local estate.

Larkshill  Road
Previously called Jack’s Green Lane
British Xylonite bought Jack’s Farm in 1897 and made plastic goods branded as Halex. the trade name was Xylonite known as cellulose nitrate products and was originally used by Daniel Spill for his improved version of Alexander Parkes' Parkesine. British Xylonite Co was incorporated in 1877 and made cellulose nitrate sheets in Homerton. In 1897 a factory was built and opened at Hale End making products as Halex, which included the head office of British Xylonite Co. The material itself was made in Brantham. By 1939 as part of Distillers Co. The Hale End works became the centre of production of the group's plastics goods, such as combs and toothbrushes. They had a monopoly on table-tennis balls with the secret Snell process. Snell also introduced injection mouldings, the use of new materials polystyrene and polyethylene – and revolutionary concepts like round washing up bowls. The works remained a “family firm” under the Merriam family but in the late 1960s it was taken over by Union Carbide, they introduced American methods and the factory eventually closed. A small plastic factory remained on the trading estate which replaced it and there is a memorial plaque on that from the Plastics Historical Society ‘On this site 1897-1971 stood the Halex factory of the British Xylonite factory. A war memorial which was on site had been removed but its memorial plaques have been located and are in a local public building. The sailing barge Xylonite is still afloat in private ownership.

Malvern Avenue
Highams Park United Reform Church

Selwyn Avenue
Selwyn Schools. Selwyn Avenue Senior Mixed School opened in 1904. The boys’ school was at the far end of Selwyn Avenue, the girls’ school was nearer to the junction with Haldan Road and the mixed infants’ school was on Cavendish Road. The group was reorganised in the 1940s by H. Prosser, architect to Walthamstow Education Committee. It is a group of schools, all very similar with a tall main range with a bell cote and lower classroom ranges behind
Housing on the site of All Saints church.  Built as a parish church in 1912 but it proved too large. Demolished in 1978.
Housing on the site of the Church Hall. Said to be one of the buildings from Chingford airfield. Demolished

Sky Peals Road
Sky Peals, name of local fields and a house, since burnt down.

The Avenue
Highams Park Station.  Opened in 1873, it lies between Chingford and Wood Street Stations. Built by the Great Eastern Railway it was originally called Hale End. The line extended here from Bishopsgate and Shernhall Street in 1871, and was electrified in 1960. Second platform opened in 1878 and renamed Highams Park (Hale End) in 1894.The station originally was a weather boarded hut with a felt roof. It was rebuilt in 1900 and designed by W. Ashbee. A subway under the line was added in 1909.  It was renamed as Highams Park in an attempt to advertise a housing development of that name. At one time it used to win the best kept station competition every year.
Goods yard on the down side which got custom from British Xylonite. Opened in 1873 and closed in 1965.  Marshalling yard
Level crossing
Signal Box, later controlled from Liverpool Street.  The box was built in 1925 with signs declaring saying ‘Highams Park’. It stands on the Greenwich meridian. The original brick box dated from 1878. The current box controlled the level crossing gates until 2002.
Clock tower - Millennium Clock pout up by the council in 2000

Vincent Road
Joseph Clarke School for the Visually Impaired.  In 1918 The Myopic Centre was opened at the William Morris School was opened and in 1920 moved to Wood Street and then in 1940 to Hale End Open Air School. It moved again and again but in 1971 this purpose built school was open and has been extended since.

Wadham Road
The land on which much of the area was built was previously owned by the Master and Wardens of Wadham College, Oxford. Wadham Lodge Farm was here and the site is now a sports ground.
The Peter May Sports Centre is a former Inner London Education Authority site previously known as Wadham Lodge Sports Centre, which was acquired by the Foundation in 1991. It has an indoor cricket hall, artificial turf pitch, health and fitness club and `new changing rooms.

Winchester Road
Methodist Church. Opened in 1904 and bombed in the Second World War. It was designed by G. and R.P. Baines in Brick.
Community centre and Sunday schools built in the 1950s plus the Memorial and Hodgson Halls in 1960. In the Memorial Hall is a plaque which says “This Hall Is Dedicated To The Glory Of God And To The Memory Of Those Men Of This Church Who Gave  Their Lives For Their Fellows 1914-1918”

Walford Village London
Field Place names of London
James  The Chemical Industry in Essex
Dunhill. A History of Highams Park and Hale End
Highams Park Society website
Plastics Historical Society web site
Grace's Guide web site
All Saints Church web site
Cinema Treasures web site
Highams Park School web site
Hale End Methodist Church web site
Peter May Sports Centre web site
Joseph Clarke School web site
London Railway Record articles
Signal box forum web site
Pond.  The Walthamstow and Chingford Railway

Monday, 27 February 2012

River Ching Woodford Green

The River Ching
The River Ching flows south west

Post to the north Highams Park
Post to the west Hale End

Alders Avenue
In the 1930s this area was a cricket ground, but bought for housing by the local authority after the Second World War.
Oakhill Primary School
Brookfield House School. Special School. It is on the site of Brookfield House
Brookfield House. This was a local middle class house, and home of the Armstrong family. In 1956 it was renamed Spackman House, an Essex County Council hostel for the elderly. This closed in 1990. The building was sold and demolished and there is now housing on the site.
Brookfield Orthopaedic Hospital.  The Hale End Red Cross Hospital for convalescent servicemen opened in 1915 in the grounds of Brookfield House, Oak Hill.  Armstrong had donated the land and money in memory of his son who had been killed in the war.  It was known as the Brookfield Red Cross Hospital and was maintained by the Hale End District Association, a ratepayers' association. It closed in 1919 after the war, and the building was used by Walthamstow Urban District Council for patients before transfer to Walthamstow Isolation Hospital. In 1923 it became the Brookfield Orthopaedic Hospital and School for Crippled Children but in 1936 it was moved away and the building demolished in the late 1950s. Brookfield House School opened on the site.

Brookfield Path
Old path and route to the Manor House.

Bunce's Lane
St Aubyn's School. This is yet another private establishment in what was originally Pyrmont House, a 19th stucco villa. The school was founded in 1884 and moved here in 1918.  It was originally sited opposite Bancroft’s School and 1919 the school was moved here. The headship was hereditary until 1993.

Gascoigne Gardens
This was an enclosure in the forest for which a Grant of Waste was made in 1758. Oak Hill Lodge was built here then and demolished in the 1920s. The current housing dates from 1928

The Green
Obelisk of Portland stone with concrete cannon balls at its base.
The Sweep – name of the pen space where the obelisk stands
Churchill statue. Statue of a Tory Prime Minister by Ivor Roberts Jones and said to be based on Rodin’s statue of Balzac.
Hurst House. Central block was built 1711- 1735 with later additions and there was fire damage in 1935, leading to some rebuilding. The property was also as the Naked Beauty after a statue by Italian sculptor Monti in the garden, which had since gone.

High Road
Said to follow the line of an old track through the forest. It was partly known as the ‘upper’ road. In 1721 the Middlesex and Essex turnpike trust was established to improve it from Whitechapel.  Lined with horse chestnut trees, dramatic in the springtime.
Salway Hill – now part of the High Road. Said to be named for Richard Salway
327 Physicals Fitness Club in 19th Entrance Lodge to `Pyrmont' House
Stables to Pyrmont. Now Woodlands Day Nursery.
Salway Evangelical Church was opened in 1933 by members of the Christian Brethren from Latchett Evangelical Church in South Woodford. It was first known as Salway Hall
Salway Close
The Cricketers. Pub
Pump – roadside water pump. Restored by local volunteers
Woodford County High School for Girls. The core facing across Woodford Green is Highams House, a smart neoclassical villa, built by William Newton for Anthony Bacon M.P, after 1764. It was enlarged in the 18th probably for William Hornby, ex- governor of Bombay. In 1783 it was owned by John Harman, the banker who commissioned Repton to improve the grounds.  His son sold it to the Warners.  It was a hospital in the Great War and a school from 1919 when it was bought by Essex County Council.
Woodford Rugby Club, on the Highams Park site.
Red granite drinking fountain under a shelter in the middle of the road at the junction with New Road. Erected by The Metropolitan Drinking fountain and Cattle Trough Association.

Mallinson Park Woods
White House.   This was originally part of the grounds of Highams and was built in 1906 for Lady Henry Somerset, and based on a design by C.F.A. Voysey. There have been later alterations, since a fire in 1983. In 1925 the estate was bought by timber merchant, Stuart Mallinson, who used it for political entertaining, and who also improved the gardens. From 1953 to 1981 he had developed an arboretum in front of the house featuring 128 trees planted by famous people, 1953-81. Converted in 2003 to a children's hospice – Haven House.

Mapperley Drive
Houses in an enclosure made in the forest in 1860. This was the site of Mapperley House, demolished in 1933.  Houses built 1936.

Nesta Road
Developed by Warner in 1932. Nesta was his wife

Oak Hill Road
County Hotel. This is on the site of Forest Lodge, which was built in 1852 and demolished in 1933. It was replaced by the Kingfisher swimming pool which was fed by a spring on the site. In 1964 it was joined by the Kingfisher Club.  This was demolished in 1973 and replaced by the current hotel.
Pevensey and Redlands. These, and two more houses Ridgewood and Hillands from 1966, are on the site of Oak Hill Cottage which was built in 1875 and demolished in 1900.

The Bridle Path
In the 15th the area between Oak Hill and Chingford Hatch, was called ‘Higham Bushes’ and in the 19th attempts were made to enclose it.  Objections by the Forest Court of Attachments retained the narrow strip of woodland that links The Bridle Path to the forest west of the lake as common land.
St. Patrick's Court Flats on the site of Scotchman’s Hoppitt which was at the junction with Oak Hill.. In 1667 this was a cottage and a brick kiln, with, eventually, 36 acres of brick works belonging to a John Russell. It included Tile Kiln House which was demolished in 1820. There are pits in this area from the various brick works and pieces of tile can be found. In the early 1880s four houses were built on the site by Warners, but since demolished.
Lodge Cottage, Victorian gothic cottage ornee at the entrance to White House woods

The Charter Road
Developed by Warner on part of the Highams Estate. He was the Charter Mayor of Walthamstow. It has typical houses of the 1920s with bow-fronted bay windows, designed by William and Edward Hunt for Warner's Law Land Building Company.
Michael Mallinson Scout Centre. Michael was the son of Stuart Mallinson owner of the White House. Stuart wanted to ensure that estate would continue to be used for the benefit of the community. Michael had been killed at Orsogna in 1944

Highams Park and Lake.
Boat house. This is at the south end and was built by Kenneth Robert John Ford. It is now owned by Waltham Forest South Scouts

Woodford New Road,

Built in 1829 so George IV could get to Newmarket very quickly although the Official report says the new road would be easier on horses. It was a turnpike road.
Old road – the, line of the predecessor road follows the horse ride in the forest to the west of the New Road.
St Margaret’s. House built over a number of dates with many alterations.

London Journal article re. Warners
Victoria County History. Woodford
Smyth. City Wildspace
Brookfield House School website
Lost Hospitals of London website
St.Aubins School website
British Listed Buildings website
Woodford High School website
Blackwood London's Immortals
Haven House website
Waltham Forest Scouts web site

Saturday, 25 February 2012

River Ching Highams Park

River Ching
The River Ching flows south towards the Lee

Post to the north Friday Hill
Post to the south Woodford Green
Post to the west Chingford Hatch

Beechwood Road
This is part of the Highams Estate

Chingford Lane
Some early Warner Estate development with terraced housing in the late 1870s.
St.Andrew's Church of England. This opened in 1880 with services held in the Working Men's hall and then in a room nearby. An iron church was erected in 1888. In 1923 the iron was replaced with cement and the frame had moved north to make room for a hall, and kitchen. The original wooden bell-tower was also removed

Elm Grove
This is part of the settlement of Woodford Row which grew up around the windmill and the main road.

Forest Glade
The road runs along beside woodland and the River Ching and the area known as The Sale

Grealock Road
This is part of the Highams Estate

Henry’s Avenue
Park Farm had stood at the eastern end.
This is part of the Highams Estate developed in 1932.  Henry was a family name.

Keynsham Road
This is part of the Highams Estate

Lichfield Road
This is part of the Highams Estate. Developed by Warner in 1932, he was MP for Lichfield

Marion Grove
This is part of the Highams Estate

Montalt Road
This is part of the Highams Estate, where some of the earliest development in the area was in 1897 when the lodges were built. These are a series of very grand semi-detached buildings designed by John Dunn and overlooking the golf course. Warner’s  Father in law was Earl of Montalt.  An open space in the centre of the road was abandoned all laid out and nothing built. It thus became an area of prefabs post Second World War
18 Tulip Hall of the Christian Tulipeans from 1942 

Mornington Road
This road was to be extended in the 19th as ‘Australia Road’. The enclosure was however declared illegal by the Epping Forest Commission and the land was returned to the Forest in 1878.

Sunset Avenue
Named because of its views which include dramatic sunsets
Woodford Golf Club. Established in 1890, with a nine-hole course designed by Tom Dunn. At first it was strictly divided on class lines with members who were professionals, and then the tradesmen, has restrictions on when they could play and were barred from the clubhouse. In the Second World War anti-gliding trenches, were built across the fairways and were not filled in until 1947.

The Highams Estate
The estate was developed by the Warner family – along with other estates in east London. Thomas Courtenay Warner was the son of Edward Warner who in 1849 purchased the Manor of Higham Bensted, extending from the High Road at Woodford Green to the river Ching; In 1875 Courtenay Warner started developing these landholdings. Housing development however did not accelerate until the 1930’s, with plans by architects William and Edward Hunt for 532 houses in standard designs of mainly semidetached houses  - with detached houses on corners and some garages. The builders were the Law Land Building Department, a subsidiary of Warners

The Highams Park
In the 1890s Sir Thomas and Edward North Buxton, both Forest Verderers, facilitated the purchase of the lake and park with money raised from the Corporation of London, the local authorities and their own money. The park is maintained by the London Borough of Waltham Forest. It is on a hill with a gradual rise to the north end and was previously part of the manorial lands of Highams Bensted.  It is part of the gardens laid out when a new house was built in 1798
The River Ching flows past the lake but does not flow into it but an outflow at the south end of the lake flows into the river. Originally a sluice was installed at the north end in order to flush fresh water through the lake.  A bridge was built over this channel. Some trace of the sluice remain in the bed.
Footbridge built in 1999 on a site near the where the  sluice was, but this is a successor to others since demolished
Bridge - now demolished this used to cross the lake
Highams Park Lake is on the west side and is owned by the City of London Corporation. When the estate was created in 1794, Humphrey Repton, the landscape planner, suggested that the Ching be diverted into a new channel and thus construct the lake. Rocks near the top end are thought to be remaining landscaping by Repton but it has also been suggested that they, and a since demolished, stone shelter, came from Old London Bridge.
Foundations are from a demolished toilet block.
Flower meadow developed in the area between Henry’s Road and Marion Grove.

The Hollow
Estate of ‘Spanish’ style arcaded houses. Unbelievable.

The Sale
In the 15th the area between Oak Hill and Chingford Hatch, was called ‘Higham Bushes’ but in the 17th the Manor was licensed to enclose and sell the trees in an area which became known as ‘The Sale’ and in the 1790’s the enclosed area was extended to cover the area which became the estate of Highams Manor house. However, objections by the Forest Court of Attachments led to a strip of waste remaining to allow a right of way between Walthamstow and Chingford Hatch for cattle and people. This strip now remains as the woodland area on the western side of the Ching along Forest Glade

Woodford Golf Course
The Dell – a copse which contains water filled gravel pit.
The Gravels - this is an old pond in the centre of the Course. This is probably an old gravel pit.
Hatch Plain. -Evidence of ridge and furrow ploughing remains here and date from the 19th when this area of common land was to be enclosed. The Epping Forest Commission declared such enclosures were illegal however the area had already been divided into fields and housing plots and proposed roads had been laid out, which can be traced.
The Lops – this was common land and the name refers to the practice of pollarding which was allowed to commoners.  Lopping rights began at midnight on 11th November and ended at midnight on 23rd April.
Blasted Oak – the tree was struck by lightning in the 1920s

London Journal. Article on Warners
London Encyclopedia
Victoria County History
Plummer and Bowyer. Courtney Warner
St.Andrew's Church web site
Law & Barry. The Forest in Walthamstow and Chingford
Woodford Golf Club web site
Highams Park Society web site
Highams Park Wikipedia web site
Friends of Epping Forest web site

River Ching - Friday Hill

The River Ching
The River Ching flows south west towards the Lee

Post to the east Buckhurst Hill
Post to the north Chingford
Post to the south Highams Park
Post to the west Pimps Hall

Bluehouse Grove
Coppiced woodland now administered as part of Epping Forest. It is marked as such on a map of 1735 where it is separated from Hatch Grove by a field. There is however a wood bank on the eastern edge of both which is continuous along the two woods – which implies they were once one. Some trees were cut down during the second world war  The name ‘Blue House’ can refer to a dye works making Prussian blue, or another blue product.

Bluehouse Road
Bluehouse Field. In 1735 called Hogg's Coate Field – which might mean a pig sty. This area was probably once also woodland grubbed up in the 17th and part of both Bluehouse and Hatch Groves.

British Legion Road,
The road and houses were owned by the British Legion.

Chingdale Road
This was once part of Hatch Lane
Chingford Town Football Club ground. This ground is now derelict with some remains may be in the undergrowth.

Friday Hill
This is supposed to come from 15th resident John Friday. Earlier it was Jackart or Jacketts Hill. There was a local story about toads and snakes, which spat fire.  It remained undeveloped and rural until the death of Louisa Heathcote in 1940.  The London County Council built housing estate on either side of the road is also called Friday Hill
Friday Hill Library. Closed
Plane tree with a plaque from 1998 as one of the great trees of London

Hatch Forest
Administered as part of Epping Forest

Hatch Grove
Part of the same woodland area as Blue House Grove.

Hatch Lane
Ashton Court flats at the roundabout on the Friday Hill corner. Site of pub which grew from sales in the 1820s by a pork butcher in a hut called The Dun Cow. It later became The Manor Hotel and then The Manor Arms, known for its dance floor. It was later called The Horseless Carriage, and then The Wheelwrights and demolished in 2003.

Manor Farm Drive
Manor Farm was in this area, and was purchased and named as this by John Heathcote

Newgate Street
This was previously called Brook Vale Road and leading to a farm of that name.

Normanton Park
Whitehall Primary School. 1980s school described as ‘forceful’.

Simmonds Lane
Friday Hill House. The site of the original manor house is obscure and a site on what was then Jacketts Hill was bought by a John Branch in the late 16th where a house was built. Inside is an oak table from the original house where James I is said to have knighted ‘Sir Loin’.  The present house was built by Rev Boothby Heathcote when he inherited it in 1838 and was designed by Lewis Vuillamy.   Inside are remains of posh interiors - a room with two walls of trompe d'oeil panels, prettily painted with flowers and birds on a green background, each one different, and attributed to Thomas Kershaw. The family continued to live there until the death of Louisa Boothby-Heathcote in 1940 when the land and house were sold to the London County Council.  It has since been used as a Community Centre.

Western Sewage Works
Land was bought here in 1882 for a sewage works to serve parts of Woodford.

Whitehall Road
This was called Cock Tylers Lane until 1900. This is named from Whitehall
Whitehall stood on the corner of Courtland Avenue and was demolished in the early 1930s. In the Great War it was used by the Royal Naval Air Station’s photographic unit.
Heathcote School and Science College. This has morphed out of a secondary school built in 1950 to serve the estate. The school in the 1950s was designed by H. Conolly, Essex County Architect, with long two-storey classrooms ranges.

Woodford Golf Course

Home Sweet Home. Greater London Council
Pevsner Essex
Victoria County History
Walford Village London
Ray Chingford Past
Heathcote School web site
British Listed Buildings web site
Whitehall Primary School web site
London Borough of Waltham Forest web site

River Ching - Chingford

River Ching
The Ching flows south east
The railway line from Liverpool Street to Chingford, terminates here.
TQ 39166 94606

Suburban area in roads leading to Chingford Station, which then changes to plains, golf courses and open areas as part of Epping Forest. The Hunting Lodge is a star in any setting.

Post to the north Sewardstonebury
Post to the east Chingford
Post to the south Friday Hill
Post to the west Chingford

Barn Hoppet
Connaught Club – tennis and bowls

Beresford Road
It was originally planned to call this Station Road
Doric Cinema was on the corner with Station Road. It opened as the Chingford Pavilion in 1920 and it included a stage. After sound equipment was installed in 1929 it was re-named Chingford Cinema and then, later, taken over by Norbert Theatres, It was renamed Doric in 1941 and closed in 1957. It opened again in 1959 as the New Doric Cinema and closed again in 1961. It was demolished and offices now stand on the site.
Flats on the corner of Forest View were Bolte’s Café. Used as church premises in the First World War by an itinerant Roman Catholic priest to serve a Belgian refugee community.

Bury Road
The road name means that it is the road to Sewardstonebury.
Chingford Golf Course. Golf Course. Shared by three clubs and managed by the City Corporation. . All players must wear a red jacket.   The course was laid out by the Royal Blackheath Club and the railway made special arrangements for cheap fares. A bomb fell here in the Second World War and an anti-aircraft gun site was sited at the end of the drive. It was used as a prisoner of war camp, then a school which was removed in 1954.
Royal Epping Forest Golf Club. Founded in 1888 and the only golf club in Essex Golf Union with the Royal Title. It is men only

Chingford Plain
Chingford Plain includes much of the golf course.  It was farmland until 1878 but has been reinstated to grass by the Corporation of London. Some of it is now scrubland, which attracts many birds.

Connaught Avenue
Named for the Duke of Connaught who was the first Ranger of Epping Forest 1878-1942

Crescent Road
Part of Jabez Balfour's Liberator Building Society development here. An assortment of grand villas finished before he went to gaol in 1892

Forest Avenue
1 was the Coronet Cafe

Forest Side
Queen Elizabeth large gabled pub with red monsters on its roof, and Art Nouveau lettering.
Chingford Cricket Club. Sports ground and club which dates from the 1880s

Long Deacon Road
Long Deacon was the name of the field on which this road was built

Rangers Road
Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge.  This is a Tudor ‘standing’ from which posh people could to view hunting. It was commissioned by Henry VIII it in what was then Fairmead Park as part of his plans, never realised, for a royal hunting centre at Waltham Abbey. It is unassuming with a lime washed exterior, L shaped building with three storeys, and a structure of massive oak timbers cut in 1542. A kitchen and service area are on the ground floor separated from the stairs, which are on a generous scale. The window openings upstairs were originally unglazed and the first floor was a shooting gallery, from which bows could be aimed. The top floor was for spectators and has an open roof. The construction details show the ingenuity of the highly skilled carpenters using extremely sophisticated techniques.  From 1608 until 1851 it was used as a keeper's lodge, and Courtroom. It later became a tearoom for visitors to the Forest and the when the City Corporation acquired it they commissioned repairs and work was done by Edmond Egan followed and later by J. Oldrid Scott. It was then used as a museum. In 1989-93, because of deathwatch beetle infestation, detailed research dated the building and allowed it to be repaired the building with traditional materials.
Royal Forest Hotel. Built in 1878. It is ‘Tudor style ‘in red brick. When Queen Victoria came to dedicate the Forest there was a grand display of fireworks by Brocks took place at the back of the Hotel. It was originally by Edmond Egan, but a fire destroyed the top floor and it was rebuilt.
Stables. Two formal brick ranges.
Butler’s Retreat. Weather boarded barn used from 1890 for serving refreshments to visitors.  It is one of the last remaining Victorian ‘Retreats’ which provided temperance refreshments in Epping Forest. In 1890 a licence was granted to John Butler to occupy the building, and it was run by his family until 1971.
Forest Ramblers Centenary Stone

Station Road 
This was once called Maddox Lane and before the station was built was just a drove way for taking cattle to fields.
Chingford Golf Club. Clubhouse. The club is for men only. It was formed in 1923 by local tradesmen who were barred from the existing private club.  At first they met in the Coronet Café and then The Royal Forest Hotel, moving to Station Road in 1928
134-138 The Station House. Pub
Chingford masonic temple. Purpose built brick Masonic Centre. The Foundation Stone was laid by the Lord Lieutenant of Essex in 1930.
152 The Fountain. Pub
Chingford Station. This is the terminus of line from Highams Park Built by the Great Eastern Railway and opened in 1878 it replaced a station built in 1873 600 yards to the south.  It is on the edge of the Forest and built with the idea of extending it further to High Beach with a view to a network of countryside lines. It had four platforms which meant 2 & 3 were for the planned through traffic while 1 & 4 were for the terminus. However it made Epping Forest popular and in 1885 Queen Victoria declared the Forest open from here but the preservation of the forest then meant that the railway was not able to extend northwards. It became a commuter terminal, and was further cut back by the bus station.  It is two-storeyed red brick building which has been much altered. In 1968 a path was provided over the old extension lines use to dock the engines and it linked the two platforms, and so the subway was demolished e track for platform 4 has been removed. .In 1974 a new ticket hall and office were provided with a suspended ceiling. There is a plastic owl under the canopy of platform two, to deter the pigeons.
Bus Station. This is on the site of an embankment built by the railway with a view to going to High Beach. It was previously used by them for servicing functions. It was levelled in 1968. The bus terminus had previously been at the Royal Forest Hotel. 
Paths exist from the old station in what is now Kings Road to the existing station, this was at the request of locals.
Signal Box.  Built in 1920

Taverners Way
Built on the site of Taverners Farm

Warren Pond Road
Warren Pond. There is a brick lined well on the northern side which supplied

Whitehall Plain
Grassland invaded by thorny scrub

Pond. Chingford and Walthamstow Railway
London Railway Record articles
Neale. Chingford Water
Chingford as it Was
Ray. Chingford Past
Clunn. The Face of London
Walford. Village London
Pevsner Essex
Country Walks. London Transport
Field London Place Names
Headley and Meulenkamp, Follies
Smyth, City Wildspace
Chingford Golf Club web site
Cinema Treasurers web site
Connaught Club web site
Royal Epping Forest Golf Club web site
Chingford Cricket Club web site
Friends of Epping Forest web site
British Listed Buildings web site
London Transport Garages