Friday, 30 December 2011

River Lee - Seventy Acres Lake

River Lee
The River Lee continues to flow south towards the Thames. Running parallel to it are the River Lee Navigation, and the Flood Relief Channel.

Post to the north Holyfield Lake
Post to the west Cheshunt
Post to the south Hooks Marsh

Holyfield Marsh
Electric Transformer Station. Built in 1974 on an area that was once fields on the edge of Holyfield Marsh. The site was probably excavated as part of the gravel extraction industry in the 1950s and backfilled in the 1970s.

River Lee Navigation
Cheshunt Lock.  Built 1768. Rebuilt 1922/. In 19th it was known as Cheshunt Mill Lock and also Hundred Acre Lock.
Lock house altered in the 1870s, described in 1900 as ‘a wretched structure’ and was replaced on a different site in 1909. This was burnt down and demolished in the 1970s, some foundations remain.

Seventy Acres Lake

Gravel extraction pit, flooded and in recreational use.
National Bittern Information Point. Up to the 17th bitterns were widespread in England but by the 1880s they were extinct as a breeding species in this country. There were only 16 booming males in the UK in 1994.  The total wintering population is generally less than 100 birds. Until the late 1960s the Bittern was an irregular visitor to the Lee Valley but since 1991 the number has increased and at 70 Acres Lake up to four birds have been present at one time. An action plan has subsequently been put in place.
Otter Discovery Trail.

Stubbins Hall Lane
Stubbins Marketing.  The business is named after the Stubbins Hall site, which was the company's first greenhouse business in the Lea Valley. Stubbins is a grower, packer and distributor of fresh salads and vegetables set up in 1976 and based in Waltham Cross.  They also act as consultants to other related businesses.

Thursday, 29 December 2011

Small River Lee - Cheshunt

Small River Lee
The Small River Lee is met by the Turnford Brook which has been joined by Rags Brook from the south and together they flow eastwards to the River Lee
TL 36578 03782

Suburban area alongside a tributary to the Lea but near the main river and the navigation. Gravel pits now used for leisure fishing, and other waterside activities.
Post to the north Turnford
Post to the west Cheshunt
Post to the east Seventy Acre Lake
Post to the south Cheshunt

Cheshunt High Street
The Old Anchor Pub with a massive anchor in the car park

Cheshunt Wash
Until the 19th this area of confluence of Turnford and Rags brooks was often impassable with flood waters. It has been suggested that the area was a Roman centre called Durolitum; on the basis of Roman coins found here.
St Clement Church of England. Built 1898 on land donated by John Earley Cook of Nunsbury on part of the old nunnery grounds.
St. Clement Junior School built slightly before the church in 1893 which is alongside it.
Churchfield C of E Junior School has replaced  St.Clement Junior School and Mayfield Infant School
Mill Lane Chapel, run by the Brethren in 19th Mission building

Elm Drive
Brookland Infant Schools
Brookland Junior School

Lakes and old gravel workings
North Metropolitan Pit. Known as Northmetpit and evacuated in the 1940s for gravel.  The rights to angling were held by the North Metropolitan Electric Company
Nightingale wood. Large block of woodland with many birds. A rare musk beetle is also found there. Circle of trees near Cadmore Lane

Mill Lane
Led to a mill mentioned in Domesday and closed in 1804 when the water rights were purchased on behalf of Waltham Abbey Mills.  It was considered in 1811 as a possible site by the Royal Ordnance for a replacement works for the Lewisham small arms manufactory but was rejected on the adviuce of John Rennie in favour of Enfield. It was said to have been owned by Hall's of Dartford.
The Nightleys Public Open Space, reclaimed gravel pit.
Turnford Secondary School. Secondary school and specialist sports college.

Thomas Rochford Way
Rochford’s was one of the largest nurseries in the district and moved here from Tottenham and built on the area of Turnford Hall.  They employed sixty men and boys in 1895. It was famous for its black grapes: each vine house producing eight tons a year. After 1945 Rochford's were world leaders in house plants

British History online. Cheshunt. Web site
Churchfield School. Web site
Lewis. Lea Valley Industrial History. Market Gardens
Old Anchor. Web site
St.Clement Church. Web site
Turnford Secondary School. Web site

Rags Brook - Cheshunt

Rags Brook
Rags Brook continues to flow eastwards towards the Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Western end of Cheshunt, around the New River and reservoirs. Getting posher west of the main river

Post to the north Turnford
Post to the west Flamstead End
Post to the east Cheshunt

Albemarle Avenue
Flamstead End Hall, and community base.

Brookfield Lane
Led from Cheshunt to the common field of Brookfield. Now cut in two by the A10 and carried over it on a footbridge
Reservoir Pump house – Cheshunt Reservoir Booster Station which is said to pump water from the reservoir around the neighbourhood.
Cheshunt reservoirs  which were built in 1837 by the New River Company..
North Reservoir.  Built in 1837 to siupply the South Reservoir. The outfall structure has recently been rebuilt. It holds more than 25,000 cubic metres of water above ground level, amd is classifed as a ‘large raised reservoir’ under the Reservoirs Act 1975.  It is no longer used for water supply, but used as flood storage during high flows in Rags Brook.  It is also called Brookfield Lake
South Reservoir – under development for housing. Built in 1836 and said never to have been used. Drained in 2004.

Cadmore Lane
Named after a John Cadmore, who was an 18th resident

Cheshunt Park
Cheshunt Park Golf Centre (not allowed to play if you have - for ie  an outfit made of denim, with a top designed to be worn outside the skirt at the waist)

High Street
138-144 18th
125 in the 1970s this was the council’s House of Friendship plus the EHOs.   Built in the  1850s it has since been demolished.
Cheshunt Free Church. United Reformed Church,

New River
Slipway on the east bank used for launching maintenance craft.
Sluice roller, replacing sluice gates with wooden shutters. 
South of Brookfield Lane the New River goes to the east around the covered reservoir

The Links
Mega shopping

British History online. Web site
Cheshunt Park Golf Centre. Web site
Essex-Lopresti, The New River
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site/

Wednesday, 28 December 2011

Rags Brook - Flamstead End

Rags Brook
Rags Brook flows east towards Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Post to the north Cheshunt Park
Post to the west Goffs Oak
Post to the east Cheshunt

Andrews Lane
Andrews Lane Primary and Nursery School. Opened in 1970
Rosedale Baptist Church
Rosedale Community Centre – this was Fairley Farmhouse built in 1840 and enlarged in 1889,
Fairley Cross was the name of the crossroads and the original site of Fairley Farmhouse.

Flamstead End Recreation Ground. Gravel extraction site where paleolithic remains were found in the 1890s.

Cromwell Road
Housing on the site of the Cromwell Road Hall, used for Flamstead Institute and given to the village by Frank Debenham when he lived at Cheshunt Park.

Flamstead End Road
It has been suggested that this was part of an old route from the ford on the Lee to Dunstable and beyond.  This is said to have been marked by large conglomerate boulders - one of which is known to have existed here.
Rose Cottage. Victorian house
30-31 18th houses.
28 Flamstead House. Ukrainian social club. The first generation of Ukrainian immigrants arrived in Hertfordshire in 1947 as displaced persons where work-permits allowed them to work in the greenhouses of the Lea Valley.  They lived initially in a displaced persons camp in Newgate Street Village. The social centre was opened in 1947
Holt House. Built 1880, used as a private boys school  by William Bower Todhunter and had a series of masters with important academic backgrounds. It closed in  1920s and was then used by Chatles Bunce, the printer, who had his Cheshunt Press there.
68 Zenz. Restaurant in what was the White Horse pub. 17th pub but modernised;
57 Plough. Built in 1923 on the site of a 17th pub. Previously had a real plough as its sign.
59 Has faded painted sign for ‘Rogers’

Longfield Lane
Fairfields Primary School. Opened 1974.
Elm Nursery. George Rooke's nursery consisted of two blocks of seven greenhouses each a hundred feet long and fifteen feet wide. There was also an office, a van shed and stable. He was known for the quality of his geraniums and innovations in growing tomatoes.
Workhouse built in 1826 on the Stockwell Lane corner.  It closed in 1834 and a terrace of houses built there, since themselves demolished. They were called Poor House Cottages

Park Lane
Area of park land now in local authority ownership.
Golf Course club house

Rosedale Estate
Built by the Greater London Council in the 1970s on land previously occupied by glasshouses which had been built on the area of the Andrews estaste.

A ford on Rags Brook was preserved here when the GLC Rosedale Estate was built. It has since been covered over.

Rags Brook - Goffs Oak

Rags Brook
Rags Brook flows east towards Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Post to the west Goff's Oak
Post to the east Flamstead End
Post to the south Goff's Oak
Andrews Lane
Named for the manor of Andrews, which is first noted in the 15th.
Rosedale Sports Ground – home to a number of sports clubs, including rugby and cricket.

Burton Lane
Burton Lane follows the line of the Boundary Bank, which has been claimed as the ancient boundary between Essex and Hertfordshire.  It was a boundary which divived inheritance claims of older and younger sons. 
Prince of Wales. Beer house in the 1840s which was rebuilt.

Dig Dag Hill
This may be part of an old route from a ford over the Lee to Dunstable and beyond.  A boulder once existed here and it has been claimed this was a route marker.
Isolation hospital once built here

Rags Lane
The line of the Boundary Bank continues up the lane
The Burton Grange. Once called Swiss Cottage but changed in 1875. Now a restaurant and wedding venue.

Rags Brook - Goff's Oak

Rags Brook
Two branches of Rags Brook meet and flow east towards Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Post to the north Hammondstreet Road
Post to the east Goff's Oak
Post to the south Goffs Oak
Post to the west Goffs Oak

Argent Way
New road connecting areas of new housing.

Crouch Lane
Farms and nurseries along the road.
Elm Farm
Lucas End Farm
Old Elm Farm
Rosebury Farm

Goff’s Oak
This began as a cluster of cottages on the edge of  Cheshunt Common

Newgatestreet Road
Once known as ‘The Common Road”
3-9 19th cottages built subsequent to enclosure of the common
Goffs Oak Methodist Church. A Wesleyan Methodist presence was in Goff's Lane in 1833 In the 1860s there was a community with a Primitive Methodist "Preaching Station" built a chapel in 1868 fund raised and paid for by the local congregation. A dual-purpose hall was built on adjacent land in 1957 and the old chapel remained and was used for youth work until two prefabs eventually replaced it. They were eventually replaced with the current which was consecrated in 1977 on the site of the old Chapel.
Common land – allotment of One Hundred Acres which stretches east from here  from here to Hammond Street Road. In 1806 it was decided that this land was not useful - it was on clay, with limited access and too far from Cheshunt.  It was therefore enclosed and the resulting rents would be shared out among cottagers. This continues by the Cheshunt Common Rights Trustees.
6 Unitarian Fellowship Church
Goff’s Hotel. This was once a local inn called The Green Man and was rebuilt following a fire in 1814.
Bungalows on the site of 17th cottages
Site of the village Pound
Goff’s Oak – the oak is opposite the hotel. There is a story that an oak was planted here by a Sir Theodore Godfrey after the Norman Conquest.  The old oak was blown down in 1950 and a new one planted grown from one of its acorns. The current oak is a replacement planted west of the old site.

St.James Road
The road was once known as Rickless Lane and also Writtle Lane.
St James. Built in 1862 as a daughter church to St Mary Cheshunt. It has been a Parish Church since 1871. In 2006 it was and refurbished 1860 . It is in yellow brick with an unusual bell turret topped by a spire. The pulpit was originally in St.Mary's Church, Cheshunt and it has an oak eagle
Vicarage, built in the 1870s.
St. James Church School 1870s. Old School House with plaque to Ms. Beckham.
Laurel Bank Farm
White House Farm
Rickless Lane Farm

Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Rags Brook - Hammondstreet Road

Rags Brook

Rags Brook flows east towards Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Post to the south Goff's Oak

Bread and Cheese Lane

Hammond Street Road

North and south of the road is an area for housing development, designated West Cheshunt and marketed as such.

Tanfield Farm

Rosary Nursery

Camps House 18th


Smiths Lane

Turnford Brook - Turnford

Turnford Brook
The Turnford Brook turns south and flows towards the River Lee

Post to the east Holyfield Lake
Post to the west Turnford
Post to the south Cheshunt

Broomfield Avenue
Housing which is partly built on the site of Brook House
Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age finds on a site near Halfhide Lane. Pottery, flint implements, sling shot and clay loom weights found in 1983. 

Canada Fields
Housing and commercial development on site previously partly used for rough grazing, partly as a nursery with a since demolished nurseryman’s cottage and glasshouses, and partly allotments. The Turnford Brook, flows east west through the site

Canada Lane
Housing built on a glasshouse site
Pumping station for Turnford Well. Engine house and a well tower, built in 1870 for the New River Company. The Boulton and Watt marine type pumping engine was originally installed by the Hampstead Water Co., subsquently taken over by the New River Co. It had been used to pump the Hampstead Well in Tolmers Square since 1848. It was the last side lever stationery engine to work in the UK. It had been built as a low pressure engine and new gearing was fitted in 1883 and pumped from a well thorn 140 ft deep at 8 strokes a minute, 2 ¼ m gallons a day. The pumping gear was by Hunter and English of BowThe station also had an engine manufactured by R.Moreland of London in 1882 which was on its own girder over the well.  It was the practice of the New River Company to boost an old low pressure system with a new high pressure engine – and which were vertical to save space.  Water is pumped from a well which is 600 ft. deep into the New River. The old engine was retained for historic interest but it was replaced by a diesel oil installation and an electric pump is actually used. The Moreland engine was scrapped.  The building is in red brick and the tower has lifting tackle over the well to lift out the pump for maintenance.
Late Bronze Age, early Iron Age and Roman finds here. These include a hut-like structure and tool making remains from the Mesolithic period, and Roman pottery found in a ditch.
Remains of brick walls, from nursery glasshouses
Remains of a tree-lined boundary or track here in the late 18th until the Second World War.

Cheshunt Wash High Road
The Turnford Brook runs alongside the road – hence the name of the ‘Wash’ due to flooding.
Bridge over the Turnford Brook. The road now crosses the brook on a barely visible slant bridge.  This is probably the site of the Nuns Bridge maintained by the Turnford nuns and where they raised money.  The medieval crossing was replaced with a concrete girder bridge in 1923. Stone balustrades, parapet and date plaque not now visible.
Wall letter box,
Site of milestone.
76 Bulls Head, claims outside to date from 1525. Also called The Bull
13 Cumin Indian restaurant was once the Bull’s Head pub, built in the 19th and latterly called the Massey Turnford Inn. Possibly on the site of an older inn.
Turnford cottages
Turnford Villas. Built for Rochford Nursery workers.
Brook House. 19th house used as a private girls’ school. Demolished and replaced by housing
Turnford Institute built by Rochford Nurserymen for their staff. This is said to have been opposite Brook House – and thus may have been at the point in the terrace opposite where there are three new houses.

Great Cambridge Road
Site of pillbox near southbound exit from A10 at Turnford roundabout. Probably destroyed by road building in the 1970s.
Bridge over Turnford Brook – on one side the balustrade of a 1920s ‘county’ standard bridge survives
New River Arms. Built as a roadhouse in the 1930s

Half Hide Lane
Marriott Hotel. Built 2000s on old glasshouse site.
Turnford brickyard and gravel pits on the north side of the lane.  As a result of archaeological work there Bronze Age flint implements and pottery were found. Other finds from the late 19th include Iron Age pottery, Mesolithic stone implements, including axes and Neolithic arrowheads, and a Palaeolithic flint core found

New River
The New River in this section was constructed in 1855 when a loop which ran to the west was straitened
Turnford Aqueduct built in 1855 by Chadwell Mylne as part of the works to bypass the western loop. This is to cross the Turnford Brook but it included a flash which would allow storm water in the brook to be pass accross the New River without entering and contaminating it. It is now possible to walk underneath it on what was called Watery Lane

Nunnsbury Drive
Longland’s Junior Mixed and Infant School

Nursery road
The Workshop
Football ground at the end of the road until the 1950s. Wormley Rovers, formed in 1946, played here on lands east of the Railway, owned by Joseph Rochford of Rochford Nursery's.
Convent Nurseries on site in the 1890s

Local authority housing built on site of glasshouses.

The Springs.
Housing on the site of The Springs which was an 18th house here
Hertford Regional College which was established in the early 1990’s when East Herts College, which had opened here on a site occupied by glasshouses in 1961, was merged with a college at Ware. It is on the site of two houses called the Cedars and Nunsbury. In 2011 it is being rebuilt, retaining and remodelling the older Student Centre, 2000 and the Green Tye, 1994, and Wormley 2005 buildings. A new ‘landmark’ building is financed by housing for sale built on the northern part of the site.  It is said the clock tower from Nunnsbury is included in the site

Turnford Marsh
Cheshunt Nunnery – a farmhouse beside the railway was said to be the nunnery site. I was a Benedictine nunnery, first noted in 1183, and which was burnt down in around 1290. It was dissolved in 1536, and became a farm.  The site was given by the Crown to Sir Anthony Denny and it may have been here that Elizabeth was kept under house arrest in his charge. The last part was demolished in the 19thNothing remained except some old garden walls, and a fragment of a moat which was later destroyed by gravel digging in 1955 along with the farm itself. The nunnery had a church living quarters, and domestic buildings. It is also thought the nuns ran a hospital of some sort in the 15th dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene.

Monday, 26 December 2011

Turnford Brook - Wormleybury Brook - Turnford

Turnford Brook and Wormleybury Brook
The Turnford Brook and the Wormleybury Brook meet and flow south towards the River Lee

Post to the east Turnford
Post to the north Wormleybury
Post to the west Cheshunt Park
Post to the south Cheshunt

Cheshunt Park
An area of grassland and woodland. 
Roman site.  The park was the subject of a 'Time Team' investigation in 2001 which uncovered part of Ermine Street.
Pillbox from the Second World War. Hexagonal brick and concrete structure built to guard the stop line.
Orchard area which has been replanted with new fruit trees
Golf Course

Half Hide Lane
Bronze Age and Iron Age settlement in this area
Broxbourne Business Centre. Retail estate with the usual big shed shops
Travellers’ site
Broxbourne Services Waste Transfer Station

Hell Wood
Site of medieval earthwork. There is a rectangular moat with additional earthworks around. Some prehistoric elements were found here

A1- Hoddesden By Pass
Road built in the 1970s to by pass the Great Cambridge Road
Site of pillbox on west side. Demolished when the new road was built in the 1970s. This was to guard the stop line.  It is now barricaded and set up as a sanctuary for bats.

New River
The New River here has been altered from its original course.  It originally went in a loop to the west of what is now the A10 junction and returned south of it.

Stop Line
Second World War anti-tank ditch. This ran east-west across the area from Cheshunt Park Farm to the New River

Watercress Trot – wild life site

Turnford Brook - Cheshunt Park

Turnford Brook
The Turnford Brook flows eastwards to the River Lee
TL 34140 04912

Fairly posh countryside area with some interesting Second World War defence structures

Post to the north - West End and Beaumont
Post to the east - Turnford
Post to the south Flamstead End

Candlestick Lane
Stop Line. The section running eastwards from Park Lane Paradise is on the line of the Second World War anti-tank trench – Outer London Anti-Tank Line.
Pillbox. East of the lane and north of the golf course and in the corner of a field. Brick pillbox on the stop line and guarding the anti-tank trench in the Second World War.
Row of anti-tank blocks in Cheshunt Park Farm farmyard.
Meadows – wildlife sites

Park Lane
Roundcroft Wood. Oak and hornbeam with some sycamore.
The Lodge.  17th timber frame cottage, converted in the 19th to a picturesque Cottage Orne.  The lath and plaster infilling is rendered and faced with panels of industrial clinker and glass, with panels marked out in broken china. The upper floors are supported by 7 columns which are covered in clinker and there are twigs on some upper surfaces. It is one of three built for Oliver Cromwell (great grandson of the Protector) at the gates to Cheshunt Park.
Pillbox on the west side of the pathway running north from the lodge
Roundcroft entrance – an alley way to the housing estate marks the entrance drive to Roundcroft.
Cheshunt Park. Public open space since 1968 and the demise of the last member of the Debenham family. The estate is first noted in 1339 when it was owned by the Duke of Brittany. It was later a Crown estate and in 1526 passed Henry VIII's son, Henry Fitzroy and was later held by the Cecils. It returned to the Crown after the Commonwealth and in the 18th passed by a descendant of Oliver Cromwell. He built the house and the family continued to own it but from 1860 it was leased to Frank Debenham, and was later bought by his daughters. Debenham were a firm of auctioneers which today have become property developers DTZ.
Timeline amphitheatre. Built on the site of Brandtyngeshey which was the home of the Debenham family from 1865 and which was demolished in 1970. Built by Oliver Cromwell in 1795.
Fields in Cheshunt Park showing ridge and furrow remains – medieval agricultural practice.
Electricity Pylons - when they were being erected Roman pottery was found

Park Lane Paradise
Cheshunt Park Farm – entrance to big complex of buildings
Pillbox at the site of a Second World War road block near junction with Candlestick Lane. The Pillbox is covered in ivy and on the north side of the farm entrance.
Site of Pillbox at the junction with Gammons Lane

Paradise Hill
Paradise House. Mid 19th house, at one time home of theatrical costumier, Waller
Doggett Hill Wood – wildlife site.
Cromwell Wood – wildlife site named for local family

Priests Osiers

Roundcroft Estate
Housing on the site of Roundcroft.  This was demolished in the 1970s and which stood near the site of Roundcroft cottage, home of 18th painter James Ward.

British History Online. Cheshunt. Web site
Defence of Britain. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire


Sunday, 25 December 2011

Turnford Brook - Wormley Woods

Turnford Brook
Turnford Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards to the River Lea

Post to the north Wormley Woods
Post to the east Wormley Woods
Post to the west Ponsbourne Park

Ponsbourne Railway Tunnel
Air Shaft

Wormley Wood
Coal post 800 NNW of Tanfield Farm and north of the lake
The Roughs
Westfield Grove. With remains of medieval and earlier fields and boundaries.
Hazel Grove
Calves Croft
Derry Wood
Long Grove

Wormleybury Brook -Wormleybury

Wormleybury Brook
The Wormleybury Brook flows south east towards the Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Post to the west - West End and Beaumont
Post to the south Turnford


Church Lane
St. Lawrence Church. A building of brick and flint dating from the 12th and it includes a Norman door. It is likely however that a wooden church had previously stood here. Belfry rebuilt 1826 and church restored 1886. The wooden weather boarded bellcote was added in 1963 in memory of Col. George Green.
Wormley Rectory. 17th timber frame house altered in 1730.  Plastered and roughcast with a Garden front facing the church.  It is surrounded by a red brick wall.
Wormleybury. A house was built here in 1489 for the then rector and the site of it is now the lawn outside the present house. It was replaced in 1734 and that too was replaced in 1767 when it was rebuilt again for Sir Abraham Hume by Robert Mylne in brown brick. It has a giant, pedimented portico. Inside decoration 1777-9 is by Robert Adam and Angelica Kauffmann.  A courtyard is entered through an arch with a clock tower above and there is an octagonal bell turret with cupola on a weather boarded base. This is the site of the original settlement of Wormley
Wormleybury grounds. There is an 18th wrought iron screen and double gates and they are surrounded by red brick walls. There is an ornamental lake,
Urn dedicated to a race horse which is probably buried there. It was designed 1770, by Robert Mylne. The urn has a frieze with two goats' heads as handles, and a pineapple top.

Bury Farm

Nursery Wood

Kitchenmead Wood

Saturday, 24 December 2011

Wormleybury Brook & Turnford Brook Holy Cross Hill

Wormleybury Brook and Turnford Brook

Wormleybury Brook flows west towards the River Lee
Turnford Brook flow west towards the River Lee

Post to the west West End and Beaumont
Post to the east Wormleybury
Post to the south Cheshunt Park

Candlestick Lane
Paradise Nurserythis was once Factory Farm where there may once have been a ropemaker
Perriors Manor - remains of a  homestead moat

Holy Cross Hill
Coal duty post. Dated 1861 it marks the boundary for the payment of the London coal duty. Like others it is white painted cast iron square post with flat pyramid top,  On it are painted the City of London arms.
Beech Grove

West End Road
Holburn Stud farm
Trotting track

Wormleybury Brook & Turnford Brook - West End & Beaumont

Wormleybury Brook and Turnford Brook
Wormleybury Brook flows west towards the River Lee
Turnford Brook flow west towards the River Lee

Post to the west Wormley Woods
Post to the east Holy Cross Hill

Beaumont Road
This is a hamlet called Beaumont built around its medieval manor house
Beaumont Manor. The present house was built in 1806 and replaced a moated mediaeval building the remains of which are a hundred yards to the north.  The name is thought to have come from Robert Beaumont, Earl of Leicester in the reign of Richard I.  It was previously a property of Waltham Abbey. The current house is a Tudor style stuccoed mansion, with a cloister/conservatory at the rear and a crenellated octagonal tower.
Victorian pillar box
Thunderfield Grove. Oak, hornbeam plus some crab apple and wild service trees.  This is an old commercial plantation and there is still some Corsican pine and western hemlock. Hornbeam was also grown here commercially and coppiced for fuel and building timber. There are deer in the wood as well as birds
Biggs Grove
Church – this was a ‘tin’ church dedicated to St.Peter. Demolished
The White House, 18th house once used as a farmhouse. Painted brick and stucco
Cony Grove

Bread and Cheese Lane
Bread and Cheese is hawthorn shoots widely eaten at one time
Bramble Grove
Bread and Cheese Bridge
Pillbox. Guarding the Outer London Anti-Tank line. This is a UORN 5061 which is an unusual higher type of pillbox.  The embrasures are higher than they are wide and again, unusual. It is tall to give it a breadth of vision accross the valley. It would originally have been disguised to look like a cottage.
In the same area are concrete anti-tank blocks.

West End Road
West End is a small hamlet at the west end of Wormley.  Until relatedly recently what we now know as Wormley was part of Wormleybury whereas West End was part of Broxbourne. In the early middle ages it was the property of Waltham Abbey.
Woodman a small pub. The earliest reference to it is 1840. Bought by McMullen brewery in 1921. It was originally a house of the 17th or earlier. Timber frame and roughcast
The Green Man – another pub which was here and now demolished.
Tyler Cotage named for George Tyler a groom who worked at Westlea in the 1920s. It was at one time the laundry for Westlea
Nutwood Cottage rebuilt in 1990 using timber and brick from an earlier building which had burnt down
Old Cottage
31-33 Mimms Cottage, 17fh House. Timber frame and dark weather boarded
Westlea. This was the principal manor house for West End. It is probably Elizabethan but records date from the 17th when it was the property of the Salisbury Estate.  In the early 19th the house was rebuilt and the holding greatly extended into neighbouring properties.  In the early 20th it was owned by the owner of Broxbourne golf club and later during the Second World War as offices for Brooke Bond – or perhaps the secret service.  Many building were converted into accommodation and in 1957 Brooke Bond sold them in separate lots. Nutwood, Westlea and Eastlea are all part of the original house. The Mews are original outbuildings as are the stable, the lodge, the fountain– all now housing. Clock House too has now become housing. Beech Cottage was a cowshed called The Bothy. 
Brookside Nursery

Wormleybury Brook & Turnford Brook. Wormley Woods

Wormleybury Brook and Turnford Brook

Wormleybury Brook flows west towards the River Lee
Turnford Brook flow west towards the River Lee

Post to the north Wormley Woods
Post to the east - West Emd - Beaumont
Post to the west Wormley Woods

Beaumont Road
The western section of what was Beaumont Village. A small church, a club room etc.  have all been demolished.
Beaumont Villas.

Wormley Wood
Firs Wood, privately owned woodland adjacent to the nature reserve
Baisleys Wood. Privately owned woodland

Wormleybury Brook - Wormley Wood

Wormleybury Brook
The Brook continues to flow eastwards towards Turnford Brook and the River Lee

Post to the west Wormley Wood 

Post to the north - Brickendon Green

Pembridge Lane

Ettridge Farm. Thought to be named for 17th farmer, Etheridge. There was also a chapel here in the 19th.  The Farmhouse is 17th with a timber frame on black stucco sill and weather boarded. Cart Shed on the road opposite. 18th with Timber frame and weather boarded

White Stubbs Lane
Wormley Wood. The wood has been a managed since the Middle Ages for timber production and coppiced. A network of ancient earth banks runs throughout it, which are thought to be late Bronze Age field systems or the boundaries of Saxon Kingdoms. It is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and also a Special Area of Conservation as a sub-Atlantic and European oak-hornbeam forest.  There are many ancient hornbeam pollards and coppice stools. Streams meander through the wood feeding to the Wormleybury Brook. Ground cover is poor maybe because historically used for pannage, and more recently grazing by muntjac
Nut Wood. Oak standards which date from the 1850 together with hornbeam and birch.
Bencroft Wood. This wood is mostly ancient oak standards plus hornbeam coppice, with birch and open clearings with bracken.   There is also the occasional sweet chestnut.  A series of deep cut streams run across it and there are two ponds in which are found rare palmate newts.
Calais Wood.  Contain ancient semi-natural Oak standards and Hornbeam coppice which is surrounded by paddocks.