Wormleybury Brook & Turnford Brook - West End & Beaumont
Wormleybury Brook flows west towards the River Lee
Turnford Brook flow west towards the River Lee
Post to the west Wormley Woods
Post to the east Holy Cross Hill
This is a hamlet called Beaumont built around its medieval manor house
Beaumont Manor. The present house was built in 1806 and replaced a moated mediaeval building the remains of which are a hundred yards to the north. The name is thought to have come from Robert Beaumont, Earl of Leicester in the reign of Richard I. It was previously a property of Waltham Abbey. The current house is a Tudor style stuccoed mansion, with a cloister/conservatory at the rear and a crenellated octagonal tower.
Victorian pillar box
Thunderfield Grove. Oak, hornbeam plus some crab apple and wild service trees. This is an old commercial plantation and there is still some Corsican pine and western hemlock. Hornbeam was also grown here commercially and coppiced for fuel and building timber. There are deer in the wood as well as birds
Church – this was a ‘tin’ church dedicated to St.Peter. Demolished
The White House, 18th house once used as a farmhouse. Painted brick and stucco
Bread and Cheese Lane
Bread and Cheese is hawthorn shoots widely eaten at one time
Bread and Cheese Bridge
Pillbox. Guarding the Outer London Anti-Tank line. This is a UORN 5061 which is an unusual higher type of pillbox. The embrasures are higher than they are wide and again, unusual. It is tall to give it a breadth of vision accross the valley. It would originally have been disguised to look like a cottage.
In the same area are concrete anti-tank blocks.
West End Road
West End is a small hamlet at the west end of Wormley. Until relatedly recently what we now know as Wormley was part of Wormleybury whereas West End was part of Broxbourne. In the early middle ages it was the property of Waltham Abbey.
Woodman a small pub. The earliest reference to it is 1840. Bought by McMullen brewery in 1921. It was originally a house of the 17th or earlier. Timber frame and roughcast
The Green Man – another pub which was here and now demolished.
Tyler Cotage named for George Tyler a groom who worked at Westlea in the 1920s. It was at one time the laundry for Westlea
Nutwood Cottage rebuilt in 1990 using timber and brick from an earlier building which had burnt down
31-33 Mimms Cottage, 17fh House. Timber frame and dark weather boarded
Westlea. This was the principal manor house for West End. It is probably Elizabethan but records date from the 17th when it was the property of the Salisbury Estate. In the early 19th the house was rebuilt and the holding greatly extended into neighbouring properties. In the early 20th it was owned by the owner of Broxbourne golf club and later during the Second World War as offices for Brooke Bond – or perhaps the secret service. Many building were converted into accommodation and in 1957 Brooke Bond sold them in separate lots. Nutwood, Westlea and Eastlea are all part of the original house. The Mews are original outbuildings as are the stable, the lodge, the fountain– all now housing. Clock House too has now become housing. Beech Cottage was a cowshed called The Bothy.