Spital Brook Broxbourne
The Spital Brook flows south towards the River Lee
TL 36587 07858
Suburban residential area to the west of Broxbourne and along the High Streete - once the main Hertford Road
Post to the north High Leigh
Post tp the east Broxbourne
Roman finds - pottery, coins and a grinding stone now in the Hoddesdon Museum.
Woodlands Estate – in the 19th the southern part of the site of Sheredes School was part of the Woodlands Estate of John Warner although the house was to the north. Warner had a garden much of which was designed by James Pulham which included many follies as well as fountains and pools. This included the wall of a ruined church. The estate was sold in the 1920s to the Braithwaite family who redeveloped it
Lodge Hollow Cottage. 17th timber frame building, originally two cottages
Built on the site of a High Street house called Harpes by developer, Hayward, in the 1930s.
Westcroft Court flats. These are on the site of Spitalbrook Farmhouse owned in the early 20th by the Frogleys, who started Nazeing Airfield. It was later earlier owned by Van Hage bulb growers who had a miniature windmill on site, removed when they left.
55 Bridge House. Modern offices on the site of a The Boys School. This was founded in 1667 by Sir Richard Lucy.
66 Hawkenbury also called The Cedars. 17th red brick building now used as shops.
74 The Bull. Dates from before 1520s and was busy when used by coaches. In the 18th owned by the Monson family and in the 19th by Christie, local brewers. Current building is 1972 rebuilt by McMullen brewers.
76 -78 16th timber frame with 19th front. Once this was an inn.
80- 82 two 19th houses with painted stucco
83 18th building in red brick
85 Acacia Cottage. 19th house roughcast on yellow stock brick.
87 Dame Laetitia Monson’s Almshouses. Built in 1728 on the Town Orchard for poor widows of the parish. Red brick with old tile roof, with a parapet. Over the central window is a plaster plaque with an inscription
95 White Bear, at one time called Anne of Cleves.
97 -99 Mustard Pot. 17th timber framed building restored in the 1980s, using modern pargetted cement
St. John’s Parade of shops built in 1930s by estate agent Mr. St. John.
Grammar School. In 1560, under a Charter from Elizabeth a School was opened in the old leper hospital building. It had closed before 1600.
United Reform Church
On the site of 18th Manor Farm
Originally a footpath from Spitalbrook Farm it was developed as a route to the Station, and for a while called
3- 9 17th timber frame, red brick cottages
8 Park Lane Car Centre. On the site of the village hall, previously the hall was used as the first factory for Broxlea Products founded by Mr. Izzard in 1946.
East Lodge. Lodge to Broxbournebury. Built in 1800 and later extended,
Housing on the site of Cardinal Bourne School
Cirkit were a computer peripherals company based in a 1960s office block built for Broxlea Products on the site of what is now flats and the Park Lane Surgery. There was a considerable area of factory space to the rear.
Sheredes House was built in 1929 for John Braithwaite, a Quaker stockbroker, who had bought the Woodlands Estate. It incorporated some of the follies and features of Warner’s gardens. The gardens were on three levels covering sixty acres, surrounded by three miles of hedges. The house itself had ten bedrooms and five bathrooms. The house was demolished in the 1960s following compulsory purchase
This area, now on the High Road, is at the point where the Spital Brook crosses the main road. It is named from a hospital which stood on the eastern side of the road north of this river crossing. This hospital is first noted in 1390, and it appears to have been a leper house, or an almshouse.
This used to be Pound Lane
Gothic cottages built by the John Warner as part of his gardens. Demolished 1960’s, despite protests.
Named for John Warner, whose Woodlands Estate stretched from the High Street to this point.
Essex Lopresti. The New River
Hoddesden Heritage leaflet
Lewis. London's Lea Valley