The Lee flows westwards and is joined by the Spital Brook from the north
Post to the north Hoddesdon
Post to the east Nazeing Meads
Post to the west Broxbourne
Post to the south Broxbourne Mill
Admirals WalkNamed because the lane was a favourite walk of Admiral Donat O’Brien who lived at Yew House in the 19th.
New River Road Bridge built 1967
Footbridge over the New River
Much of the road developed by George Jacob Bosanquet in the 1849s
10 Belle Vue. Built 1850 in stock brick
14 -30 Built 1850 as a development of five pairs of villas with a single one at the end. Most of them have been altered.
2 villa built in 1850 in stock brick
Admirals Lane Lake and fishery. This is another old gravel working
Hoddesdon open air pool. An open air swimming pool has been located here since the 1933 when it was illuminated at night. This was called the "St Cross Swimming Pool". On the same site was a café, deck tennis and miniature golf. It was a popular destination for North London cycle clubs from North London. It was closed during the Second World War and reopened war as a council-run facility. In 1955 the pool was lengthened to the current 75 feet but the changing cubicles from the 1930s remain. It ids mow in a modern low rise flat roofed structure. There is also a Childrens' Pool, designed for toddlers and closed in the 2000s. The pool is soon to be demolished
The Spinning Wheel. The house was built in the mid-19th for Septimus Warner in the Swiss cottage style and originally called The Italian Cottage. By 1934 it was described as a “roadhouse”. It is now used as offices. It is now standing in public park land with some sculpture including some Pulhamite features
8 The George –once known as The George III. Dates to at least the mid-19th.
On this length of the original New River it is clear how the channel runs along the 100 ft. contour sticking closely to it. Maintenance of the east bank needs to be constant to guard against leakage.
A road on St. Catherine’s Estate built on one side only in the 1880s by John and Thomas Hunt on New River Company land
On the site of Yew Arbor a 17th house said to be haunted by a green lady.
St. Anne’s Park
Entry to Broxbourne pumping station – which pumps water into the New River from a 212ft deep well sunk by the New River Company in the 1880s. The building is 1886 plus a red brick engine house and boiler house. The chimney has been demolished. Buildings outside the current curtilage are now housing.
A road on St. Catherine’s Estate built in the 1880s by John and Thomas Hunt on New River Company land.
1 West Lodge
9 built 1887 for Reginald Blomfield with red brick ground floor.
11 The Hollies. Built in 1887 and designed by Reginald Blomfield as part of the estate development. It is in imitation half-timber and used as a care home.
20 -22 built in 1894 and designed by Reginald Blomfield as part of the estate development. Looks like a 17th country house.
24 Longside. Designed and built in 1888 by Reginald Blomfield,
St.Catherine’s. Care home.
Villas built on the 1850s by George Bosanquet
Beech Court. On the site of Pulham House built in 1848 by James Pulham. Pulham came from Woodbridge, and, apprenticed to William Lockwood there, became expert in modelling artificial stone. They set up a business in Elder Street, Spitalfields and later in Tottenham. In the 1840s a younger James Pulham moved to Hoddesdon and in 1846 bought land near the station. At Broxbourne the family set up works for the manufacture of terracotta and artificial stone. This was used in garden features and other works. One conical kiln survives alongside an edge-runner mill turned by a horse and used to crush stone prior to moulding. The firm made many monuments and garden ornaments, they exhibited widely and achieved the Royal Warrant. They eventually closed in 1945.
Broxbourne Station Opened in 1840, it lies between Rye House and also main line destinations and Cheshunt. It was aintended as the terminus on a proposed line to Cambridge. In 1959 the station moved to its present site and opened in 1960. Originally a brick station house with a timber porch built in 1840 and which fronted on to the New River. It was demolished in connection with the electrification of services into Liverpool Street. The current Station, which was resited, was built in 1959 by British Railways Eastern Region Architect's Department, H H Powell. The job architect was Peter Rainiers, a South African. It has a reinforced concrete frame exposed with brick infill and purple brick cladding on the lift towers. These towers rise from asymmetrically-spaced island platforms to project over an enclosed bridge. The booking hall is double-height and fully glazed. Inside is a three flight open staircase
Car Park on the site of the goods yard, which had stables and a coal merchant’s premises.
Kingfisher Close on the site of The New Inn -- later called the Kingfisher and earlier the Railway Hotel.
Recreation ground. This was the Rectory Glebe but used as a nursery in the 19th. Half way between the road and the church stands the Broxbourne War Memorial
Gas Holder. Beyond the station to the north a gas works was built by the Hoddesden Gas Company to replace the original site in 1886. In 1932 the company was taken over by the Tottenham and District Gas Company and the site was a holder station by the early 1960's.
Upper Marsh Lane
St.Cross Roman Catholic Primary School. Built around a house called St.Cross. In 1932 the Canons Regular of St Augustine began work here and the Sisters of Our Lady in