Thursday, 31 August 2017
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End
Post to the west (north east quarter)
Post to the east Bromley by Bow
Post to the north Old Ford
Addington Arms. Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there.
Police stables. From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original.
1-5 Inland Revenue Office. Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices
This was once called Priscilla Street.
1 Drapers' Almshouses. These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by Sir John Jolles in 1617 and built by the Worshipful Company of Drapers. The present range was funded by John Edmanson who used Sir Christopher Wren's office to build what remains today. In 1858 a lodge was built on the fourth side forming an quadrangle with 44 almshouses and a chapel. In 1867 the site to be bought by the North London Railway Company and The tenants were moved to Tottenham. All that remained following railway work was this centrepiece flanked by 4 almshouses. The tenants moved back in until the 1950s after which the site became derelict. The GLC and the Oxford House Housing Association rebuilt the almshouses in 1982.
The stretch of road south from Bow Road is alongside railway arches all with small business, mainly motor trade. The road then turns abruptly east along the line of what was Archibald Street.
William Brinson Centre, Day centre for people needing day care. To be demolished for housing.
Bow Road Goods Depot. This was opened by the Great Eastern Railway in 1885. It was on a triangle of land and handled coal, bricks, building materials and general merchandise and was had a 5-ton capacity crane, a weighbridge and a lock-up. It closed in 1964 and the Bow Triangle Business Centre is now on the site
Gas Factory Junction. This is a railway junction named for the gas works adjacent to it. It has acted as a boundary point for the rail lines which converge on it and has had a past with many interchanges and the necessary signal boxes to deal with them. It was also used by lines serving the gas works, and a coal depot.
Rope walk. This is shown in the 19th lying in space between the rail lines.
All Hallows church. This was originally designed by Ewan Christian in 1873-4 for the Grocers' Company and funded by the sale of the City church of All Hallows Staining. It was rebuilt in 1954-5 by A.P. Robinson of Caroe & Partners, using the core of the war-damaged church and which preserves Christian's big brick design towering above the street. Inside was over- powering but a reordering in 2001 by Tonk Hornsby of Keith Harrison Architects had provided a multi-functional hall. Inside is a plaque which says “The Church of All Hallows, Bromley by Bow, was destroyed by bombs on 18th September 1940 and the new church was dedicated by the Bishop of Stepney on 19th October 1955 to the Glory of God. The rebuilt church commemorates the men and women of Bromley by Bow who died through enemy action in the World War 1939-1945
Mission. In the 1860s the "Lighthouse Mission" had a permanent building in a chapel here. A chapel had been included when the street was built up in 1876, following meetings held in the home of a local residents. The chapel continued to be used until it was bombed in the Second World War
Bow Common Lane
Bow Common Gas Works. This was the Great Central Gas Works set up in 1850 by Angus Croll on behalf of the City of London in order to replace the inner city Blackfriars works. It was set up as a ‘consumers’ company which meant that shares were owned by those who would buy the gas – in this case the City of London. This was a successful works but Croll’s eccentricities led to problems. It was eventually taken over by the Gas Light and Coke Company in 1870 and eventually partly rebuilt by them. Four gas holders appear on site in 1870 along with a large central retort house. It also shows buildings fronting Bow Common Lane, which may be those which remain along with what appears to be the original gateway and some holders to the rear. By 1914 three large holders has been added to the north of the site. It was modernised in the mid 1920s and closed in 1968. Numerous small businesses are based on this site.
Rail links to the gas works. Initially there was a tramway link to the Limehouse Cut. There was also a rail link to the North London line with two sidings on a timber viaduct serving a coal store – this was later replaced by concrete but remained in various forms into the 1960s.
Bow Railway Works
Bow Railway Works belonged to the North London Railway. The original works was in the area between the diverging tracks of the junction south of Bow Road from 1853. Originally there was a two-road erecting shop, plus smiths and boiler makers where company locomotives were serviced. The works was set up by Bow the Company's Engineer, William Adams Who was in post 1853- 1873. This early section was closed and demolished after the London and North West Railway took over the works after 1909.
Work here was at first the repair of rolling stock bought from outside, but from 1860 locomotives were built here. Between 1879 -1901, thirty tank engines designed by J.C.Park were built here. One of these remained in use until 1958. The final steam locomotive was built here in 1906.
The works was expanded from 1882. Doorway opposite Bow station led to new buildings, steps led to 'Bow Palace Yard' and a line side walk went from the Poplar-bound platform. By 1882 the works covered thirty-three acres, and stretched for three-quarters of a mile. It employed about 750 men.
Walkway. This ran on a bridge across the works between Campbell and Devons Roads, separated from the railway by brick walls.
South of the walkway were machine and carriage shops and stores. This area was expanded under the London Midland and Scottish Railway ownership as from 1925 a depot at Plaistow was closed. In the 1930s the Hudd automatic train warning system was developed and manufactured here and as a result a British Railways national team developed the standard Automatic Warning System here. In 1956 diesel-electric locomotives were repaired here.
The workshop was badly damaged in Second World War bombing and the wagon was workshop destroyed but work here continued into the late 1950s. It closed in 1960 with work transferred to Derby. The majority of the buildings were demolished around 1966.
The site is now mainly under a housing development from the 1970s with the tracks beneath encased in a concrete tunnel. The carriage shop was finally demolished in the late 1980s as part of works for the Docklands Light Railway.
65 Electric House. Built in 1925 by Harley Heckford, Poplar Borough Surveyor, as the Borough Electricity Showrooms and offices, plus some flats.
Minnie Lansbury Clock. Minnie was a suffragette and daughter in law of George Lansbury. She was an elected alderman on Poplar’s first Labour council in 1919 and was jailed in 1921 for refusing to set a rate. The clock was erected in the 1930s.
83 In the 1920s this was the Poplar District branch of the Charity Organisation Society and offices for the London County Council Children’s Care (School) Committee
97-99 Tredegar House. This was built as the Training Home for Pupil Probationers at the London Hospital in 1911 and designed by Rowland Plumbe. It was converted to flats by David Wood Architects.
109 in the 1920s this was Evans Hurndall Mission & Relief Work amongst the Poor of East London
117 Bow Road Police Station. This was built in 1912 to replace the old building which is further up the road to the east. From 1880 until 1933 Bow was the main station of the Division until re-organisation in 1933. It was designed by John Dixon Butler, the then Metropolitan Police Surveyor. Above the porch is inscribed 'POLICE' plus a date stone. Inside is a cell block with the original shuttered apertures for monitoring prisoners and which once housed Sylvia Pankhurst.
Rail Bridge. This carries the Bow Curve over Bow Road. This was opened by the London & Blackwall Extension Railway in 1849. It had been intended to build a junction with the Eastern Counties Railway and run trains from Fenchurch Street to Stratford. This bridge appears to have been rebuilt in 1907. Following the withdrawal of passenger services in 1949 the line was retained for diversions and electrified. It was reduced to a single track in the 1980s to allow space for the Docklands Light Railway north of the station.
121 Bow Road Station. This is now a betting shop and in addition two platforms and two stairways from the street remain. There is a commemorative plaque. Initially the station here was on the south side of the road but it was thought necessary to allow for a walkway connection with Bow Station which was on the North London Line at the site of what is now the Docklands Light Railway line. This was opened in 1892 and was a substantial building with stairways to the platforms. There was also a new signal box. Increased competition led to falling passenger numbers and the walkway was closed in 1917. In 1935 the signal box closed and in 1941 the station was closed following bombing. The station re-opened in 1946 but it closed a year later and it was partly upgraded. It reopened in 1947 with a greatly reduced service. It permanently closed in 1949. The station buildings were leased out and the platform building demolished in 1967.
121-143 Lepow Works. L Power & Sons Ltd. Power Neon Signs Ltd This Company used the station building 1964-1979. They were electrical engineers and made neon signs.
Wheel Works. This is marked behind the station in the 1870s and the site later used as a saw mill.
125 Little Driver. This pub may date from at least 1805 and the name relating to coach services and their drivers. When the railway opened in 1849 the name was adapted to the new mode of transport. It was rebuilt around 1869. It was a Charrington’s pub and retains some woodwork and a Hoare & Co.’s mirror on the wall plus flower painted mirror panels behind the bar-back and in the fire surround
127 -129 Bow Electric Theatre. This was owned by John Bussey and opened in 1909 and continued through the Great War until 1915. The site is now a filling station and supermarket.
131 -133 H C Banly Ltd, motor wagon builders. This firm was here in the 1920s but by the 1930s were selling second hand solid tyres.
135 Poplar Dispensary for the Prevention of Consumption. Present in the 1920s and often treating ex-soldiers. They also campaigned to give information about tuberculosis arranging exhibitions, sometimes accompanied by entertainment.
141 Bow & Bromley Local Labour Party offices in the 1920s. This was one of several addresses used by the Party – but this stands about halfway between George Lansbury’s home and Sylvia Pankhurst’s offices!
145 Bow Station. This was on the site of the Enterprise Garage. Some elements of the station wall may remain at the back of their forecourt. Bow Station opened in 1850 built by the East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway with an entrance on the north side of Bow Road. Initially built as a goods line only a passenger station here was provided when the line was extended to Islington. In 1869 it was rebuilt to include a large room upstairs for the Bow and Bromley Institute This was a large building by Edwin Home. From 1892 there was an interchange and a walkway to Bow Road Station on the Fenchurch Street line a few yards to the west. The station closed in 1944 following bombing but part of the building was used by British Railways as a parcels depot, until 1965 with a maroon 'Bow Parcels Depot' sign. The line was closed in the 1960s following changes in the area and in the docks. The site was cleared before the opening of the Docklands Light Railway in the 1980s when the old track bed was used for the new line. A plaque was put on the current building.
The Bow and Bromley Institute. This ‘Moorish style’ was added to Bow Station in 1870. The Bromley Literary Association and the Bow Working Men's Institute merged as the Bow and Bromley Institute, and in 1897 it part of the East London Technical College. It closed in 1911 and leased to the Salvation Army. 6,000 books were transferred to local libraries and the organ was sold to a place of worship. In the 1920s it was used by George Williams & Co Ltd, wholesale clothiers. In 1933 it became The Embassy Billiard Hall, then The Bow Palais and later The Emerald Ballroom. It was badly burnt out in 1956 and demolished.
Bow Road drinking fountain. This was the Match Tax Testimonial Fountain designed by Rowland Plumbe in 1872 and which stood on the Bow Station forecourt. This was tax on match boxes which was opposed and led to local demonstrations and the fountain was funded by Bryant and May. It was demolished in 1953 for widening Bow Road.
151-153 Office block. This is built on the site of what was the Poplar Conservative Party Office at 151 with the Bow & Bromley Constitutional Club inevitably next door with the same secretary in the 1920s. It has been recently used as a recording studio and has signage on it about a maths and computing school. It is also now the Sampson PLAB Academy which is a private training college for NHS posts.
Site of Bow Fair. This annual Whitsun Fair attracted large crowds in the 18th and 19th. In 1823 it was closed down due to "rowdyism and vice".
157 Bow House –this was once Poplar Town Hall. It was built 1937-8 by Clifford Culpin of E.G Culpin & Son. It had a streamlined bowed front and continuous bands of glazing. With carvings, mosaics, etched glass panels and a mural. five exterior panels by David Evans show trades and professions used in the building - socialist realist depictions: welder, carpenter, architect, labourer and stone mason. There is also a mosaic on the canopy above the former Councillors’ Entrance. There are also the Docks and industries, and Art, Science, Music and Literature on the fascia. Public use ceased in the 1980s and it was converted for commercial use in the early 1990s. In the lobby to the Chamber is a prayer of dedication by a Socialist Sunday pupil, originally in Bow Vestry Hall.
161 NatWest Bank Building, originally the London County Westminster & Parrs Bank Ltd. This was previously once offices for Recol or Ragosine Oil. This was founded by Victor Ivanovitch Ragosine who held patents for mineral oils which were used by the aircraft industry. In the 19th the Rectory, in a large garden, stood on this site.
161a Costcutter. This was built for the Stratford Co-op in 1919 by their Surveyor, H.E. Tufton. On the gable is their usual relief of a beehive.
163 This listed 18th building is now a kebab shop. In the 1930s it was Poulton, Selfe and Lee, a specialist laboratory glass blowing business. It had earlier been, in the 1890s, the Bow and Bromley Social and Literary Club and during the Great War the Anglo Mexican Petroleum Company.
167 Kings Arms. Dates from the 1820s or earlier. It closed in 2006. It may now be a backpacker’s hostel.
169 -175 In the 1920s this site comprised, Hudson’s who were refuse contractor. A printer William Gillard; 75 Fullman Barnett & Son who were builders merchants and David Williams a dairyman
177 Our Lady Refuge of Sinners and St Catherine of Siena. This is a Roman Catholic Church Designed by Gilbert Blount which opened in 1870. The parish is run by the Archdiocese of Westminster. It was administered until 1923 by Dominican nuns from the adjoining St Catherine's convent. It had been built as their chapel through the gift of Miss Reynolds, later Lady Hawkins. The church is in Kentish ragstone and was Enlarged in 1882 by A.E Purdie, and later partly rebuilt after war damage. The organ by Norman, Hill & Beard came from Holloway Prison.
181 This building and others to the rear were part of the Convent of St. Catherine. 181 itself, which is now a shop, was the Presbytery for the adjoining church. St Catherine’s Convent was set up by Dominican nuns in 1866 who had nought a building called Alfred House. They cane to work in a school in St. Agnes school, then in Arrow Road., When they left part of the building was turned into factory premises
181 Merron ltd. Simplex Works. This company made aircraft parts here during the Second World War, having specialised in moulded wood for boat hulls.
183 Durham and Moysey. This company was here in the 1890s and subsequently making ... Presses, Machines for Sheet Metal Working .... Patent Safety Power Press ..... Machines of all kinds
183 John Muir and Son leather tyre factory. This Ayrshire firm had a branch here in the early 20th to make the “shock- shifter " hub. To the rear is the Nunnery Studio Gallery set up in 1996 by the Bow Arts Trust and includes a studio complex. There is a focus on site-responsive work that explores the history and themes of the local area.
183 Bow Arts Trust building by Leaside Regeneration LTD Project. Building provided for the Trust on the street frontage.
185 Three Tuns. This pub was originally on Bow High Street by 1823 when it was owned by Hodgson’s Brewery. It was later a Whitbread pub and in 1985 enlarged and called Ye Olde Three Tuns. There was a wooden Last Supper over the bar. Three Tuns appear on the arms of the Brewers and Vintners Livery Company. In 1999 it closed and became flats.
193-197 This premises is now converted to flats called Link House.
193 Working Girls Club. This was set up by Annie Besant in 1891 and funded by Helena Blavatsky, Founder of the Theosophical Society, as a 'bright and pleasant home' for working class women from the East End of London. It was set up subsequent to the Match Girls Strike. A hall was added which was also used for lectures and public events. The site is now part of a block of residential buildings.
195-197 Salvation Army Hostel in the early 20th. As Archer House became Tower Hamlets Social Services Dept.
195 a Neo-Georgian shop front. Victorian works with wide piers faced in glazed brick six bays under gabled dormers.
199 This is a late 18th building which has recently been restored having previously been reconstructed in the early 20th and used as a print shop by an Arthur Tollfree
201-205 Garage. This was Grove Hall garage, which appears to have been used as a garage by the Metropolitan Police
203 & 205 Atlas Iron Foundry Durham Bros, iron founders. Numerous plates on iron buildings throughout London demonstrate their work,
207 - 209 Knowles Sheridan & Co Ltd, show card frame manufacturers. 'Show cards' told people about upcoming events. The site suffered significant bomb damage in the Second World War. By 1989 it was home to night club and is now flats.
215-217 This 1930s garage was built on the site of a 16th house recorded by the Royal Commission in the course of its demolition.
223 This appears to be the Green Light Youth Club and Green Light Kitchen. It is a late 17th building with a early 19th shop front
Anderson, Anderson & Anderson Ltd, India rubber goods manufacturers India rubber factory. This lay behind the buildings here before the 1930s.
Bow Church and associated buildings – the Church stands in an island between the north and south sides of Bow Road.
St Mary’s – Bow Church. In 1311 the Bishop of London licenced the building of a chapel because of the distance from the-Stepney parish church,. They were given land on the king's highway and thus a church was built on an island site. It remained a chapel of ease until 1719, when Bow became a parish in its own right. The oldest part is the rubble-stone aisle wall which may be 14th and there is a late 15th tower with a turret and clock. In 1555 Elizabeth Warren was burnt at the stake here for her Catholic views. Repair work was undertaken following storm damage in 1829 and in 1896 pioneering conservation work was undertaken by Hills & Son, supervised by members of Ashbee’s Guild of Handicraft who provided the metal-work. The committee also designed a new vestry. Much of the church including the upper portion of the tower was destroyed in air raids of 1940, and the rebuilding of the tower can be seen. Designs for repairing this damage were made by H.S. Goodhart Rendel. Inside are memorials of the Tower Hamlets Rifles Regiment, from St. Stephen's church. There is also a wooden battlefield cross from the Battle of Loos recording 13 men who died. There are memorials from the disused Holy Trinity Church, Bow and a memorial to 90 people from the parish who died in the Great War,
Churchyard. A small, trim churchyard, enlarged in 1824. It is enclosed by railings which were reinstated in 1984. It was designed as a public space in 1895 by Fanny Wilkinson of the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association and we some monuments and table top tombs remain in situ. planting at the front of the church includes some old evergreen shrubs and enormous plane trees
Statue of Gladstone. This is a bronze of 1881 by Albert Bruce Joy, commissioned by Theodore Bryant, the match manufacturer. Gladstone has stood above the public lavatories. And he is on a circular base holding out his hand as if addressing a meeting
Bow Brewery. Hodgson’s Brewery. George Hodgson had begun here in 1752 and one of the smaller London brewers. A major customer was the East India Company and Hodgson was still shipping porter out to India in 1823. October beer, which was a strong, pale, well-hopped brewed stock beer also shipped out and needed to be kept until it was two years old before it was fit to drink. It was also improved by the climate through which it had to pass. Pale ale, "light and excellent" was being sold in India alongside cider and London porter by 1784. By 1811 George Hodgson’s son Mark was running the brewery. Some 4,000 barrels were being shipped to the East every year. The brewery at Bow Bridge was rebuilt in 1821 and set themselves to ensure a monopoly on export to India of beer. This was opposed by other shippers who dealt with other brewers and brewers from Burton tried to replicate Bow beer and Hodgsons began to decline. In 1842 it was only the 25th largest brewery in London by consumption of malt, and by 1849 Edwin Abbott & Son, Pale Ale and Stout Brewers, had taken over the Bow Bridge brewery. In 1863 it became the Bow Brewery Co Ltd, and in 1869 it turned into Smith, Garrett & Co. themselves taken over by Taylor Walker of Limehouse in the 1920s. The Bow brewery was demolished in 1933 to make way for London County Council flats.
246 Bombay Grab. This pub was here by 1805 and was later the brewery tap for Hodgson’s Brewery. The pub name relates to a ship in the East India Marine. It was rebuilt in 1933 and owned by Ind Coope. After the flyover was built the pub had its name painted on its roof in white letters. It closed in 1992 and now houses a mosque and an Islamic community centre.
246 Bow Central Mosque. This was founded in 1998 in building which had been a local pub and vandalised. It has quickly been transformed into a community social and religious centre serving them through five-daily prayers and facilitating other socio-cultural activities.
242 In the 1880s this was ‘Ye Bowe Press’ – a printers
240 Bow Brass Works. Benjamin Rhodes & Son, brass foundry. This company was extant from at least the 1880s to the 1920s and made all sorts of brass items from plumbing items to gunnery. This site is now flats
214 White Horse, Pub which dated from the 1820s. This site is now flats
204 George J Betts & Co Ltd, harness and clog makers. This firm had a shop here in the early 20th. This site is now flats
202 East London Foundry. Hunter & English Ltd, engineers. The firm was set up in 1797 by two young Scots, Walter Hunter and William English, in 1803. Rennie commissioned then with framing a pair of large lock-gates for the East India Docks and as result were employed by dock engineer Ralph Walker. They also worked for Poplar Parish. In 1850 the partners were succeeded by their sons and eventually grandsons, achieving major contracts including marine engines and stationary pumping engines. They built engines for naval launches, dredgers, large cranes. The firm finally closed in 1921. The site is now flats
198 site of a baker's shop, where in October 1912 Sylvia Pankhurst opened the first East London branch of the Women's Social and Political Union. A gold sign on the front read: "Votes for Women" and Willie Lansbury got wood from the Lansbury wood factory for a platform outside from which Sylvia could make speeches. On the site are flats and a garden for Wilfred Housing Cooperative.
156 Three Cups Pub. This pub was present by 1826, becoming in 1855 Bow Palace Music Hall, and from 1889 Marlowe Music Hall and a hall to the rear where Sylvia Pankhurst spoke. It later became a Cinema in 1923.
156 Regal Cinema. This was built on the site of the Three Cups public house and later a music hall; it was rebuilt in 1892 as the Eastern Empire Theatre. taken over by the Macnaghten Vaudeville Circuit in 1899, and operated as the Palace Theatre until 1917, and the Tivoli Theatre until 1918. In 1923 it was rebuilt by George Coles and re-opened as the Bow Palace Cinema. It was rebuilt in 1935, in Art Deco style by Leslie Kemp & Frederick Tasker, with interior decoration by Mollo & Egan. It re-opened as the Regal Cinema,. It closed after bomb damage in the Second World War and re-opened in 1947. It closed in 1958 and was demolished in 1960. There are now flats on the site.
150 This was a Labour Committee rooms under George Lansbury. There are now new flats on the site
148 Black Swan Pub. This was on the corner of what had been the village green where there were stocks and a whipping post until the mid. The pub was here by 1822, probably owned by Hodgson’s Brewery. In 1916 it was destroyed by a bomb in a Zeppelin raid. It was rebuilt in 1920 and said to be haunted by the ghosts of the landlord’s two daughters who died in the air raid. It closed for road widening in the early 1970s. There are now new flats on the site
126 Bird in Hand Pub. This was recorded with a skittle ground by 1772 and owned by Truman’s. It was closed before 1991 and has since been demolished. There are now flats on the site
116 Police Station – Selbys. This was the original Bow police station, erected in 1863 and used until 1903, when it transferred to a new building .Sylvia Pankhurst aimed a stone at their window in 1913. It was designed by Charles Reeves, Surveyor to the Metropolitan Police.
Selby and Son, funeral directors. They originally on the corner of Bromley High Street, at the junction with Devon's Road, before they moved to the junction of Bow Road and Bromley High Street.
Tower Hamlets Register Offices, - Bromley Public Hall. This was built in 1879-80 by A. & C. Harston as the Vestry Hall for St Leonard's parish. It was on the site of the Bowry Almshouses. Wings were added in 1904 by R.E Atkinson
Bowry Almshouses. Mary Bowry ,widow of Captain Bowry of Marine Square, died in 1715 and left a bequest for almshouses to be built for 'poor men who must have been bred to be seamen and to their widows past labour'. They were demolished and the vestry hall was built on this site
114 Bow Bells Pub. This dates from the 1860s. It is said to be haunted.
Drapers Almshouses. What remains of the almshouses are now in private ownership hidden away among modern housing to the south with an address in Rainhill Road. Until the late 19th gates and a drive to them fronted on to Bow Road to the east of what is now the Docklands Light Railway – originally the North London Line, which company bought the site of the almshouses in 1867?
Bow Church Station. This was opened in 1987 and lies between Devons Road and Pudding Mill Lane on the Docklands Light Railway. The DLR here is built on the line of the old North London Railway.
Modern Building on the left hand side of Bow Church Station is on the site of an entrance to the North London Railway Works.
86 this house, now offices, was in use as a girls school. In 1880 the Coopers Company Girls' School moved here but the existence of the school was later questioned by the Charity Commission. The school was therefore merged with the Coburn School and this was reluctantly agreed. It was then renamed Coburn School for Girls, The school is now in Upminster.
Bow and Bromley Station, This was the earliest station on this site for this line. It was a wooden structure on the south side of Bow Road which opened 1849. It was built by the London and Blackwall Railway with two short facing platforms and a crossover. It closed in 1850
Bow Road Station. This was south of the road and built in 1875; on the site of the Bow & Bromley station which was still extant. It opened in 1876. the booking office was in the arch beneath the line with an entrance on the west side of the bridge and steps up to each platform. There was a small coal office on the east side of the bridge.
Signal box. This was the north side of the bridge on the up side.
72 The Cinema. This opened in 1915 and closed in 1916 operated by John Bussey. It stood next to the the south east side of the railway bridge. It is currently a mini cab office.
58-66 Thames Magistrates Court. With the juvenile court it was built in 1990, designed by Phillip Arrand, architect to the Metropolitan Police. It is the administration centre for the East Group of courts and deals with adult cases from Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, and Waltham Forest Boroughs. It replaced a previous court building
Bow County Court. This was built on the same site as the current court in the 1860s designed by Charles Reeves
Bow Road Station. This opened in 1902 and lies between Bromley by Bow and Mile End Stations on the District and Hammersmith and City Lines. It was originally built on the Whitechapel & Bow Railway – in effect the District Railway - as part of their extension eastwards .It was to be called originally ‘Wellington Road’
Bromley High Street
This is the old centre of Bromley by Bow and leads into the village from Bow Road but little remains of the old village.
Village Green. This was at the junction with what is now Stroudley Walk. It was surrounded by inns and shops as well as stocks, ducking stool, an obelisk, and a whipping post into the mid 19th, In 1913 Sylvia Pankhurst began a local campaign with a speech here...
Bow Bridge Estate. This London County Council estate opened in 1933 and has been added to since. It fills the area between Bromley High Street and Bow Road and replaces numerous workplaces and old buildings.
36 John Dore's Coppersmiths and Distillery Engineers. They are the oldest distillery engineering business in the world. It began as Aeneas Coffey & Sons, of Dublin in 1830 and in London by 1835. John Dore took the company over in 1872 and moved the business here. In 1904 John Dore he invented a "Wash" Still which is still used by the industry. In the late 1960's council building led them to move to Essex and the business was sold. This site is now used by Dorrington Point Tower Block.
Robinsons & Co . This was an iron moulding company.
50-52 Moulders' Arms. This was demolished in 2007 and replaced by flats.
67 Blue Anchor Pub. Closed 2015
85 Tudor Lodge. With dance studios and a child care centre.
94 The Seven Stars. This was called the Seven Stars by 1681 and is shown in early prints of what was then called Bromley Broadway. It has been suggested that it was used by the Palace here by as domestic offices and outhouses. There is also evidence of a link to a Freemason's Lodge. In 1822 it was a Hodgson’s Brewery house. The original timber frame building was demolished in 1895 and rebuilt. By 1983, it was called the Pearly King, It closed around 1988 and has now been converted to flats
East London Foundry. This site south of the road appears to be part of the Hunter and English Works otherwise sited to the north between here and Bow Road. It may relate to Walter Hunter’s departure from the business in 1897.
Bow Tank Works. In the late 19th this was the works of Lancaster 7 Co. who seem also later to have been in Hancock Road.
Bow Foundry. Henry Edie and Co established in 1843, and still extant in the 1920s.. Made stink pipes among other things.
1 Bruce Road Congregational Church. This was founded in 1866 and in 1972 it became a United Reformed Church. It is closed and the building is now a community arts centre
1 Bromley by Bow Church in the Community. This consists of the old congregational church and a church hall. Linked to the Bromley by Bow Centre which stands to the rear and to which it is joined. It includes a nursery and a crèche and is also used as an arts centre. In the front of the building is a sculpture of a nun with her fingers in her ears. Inside are mosaics undertaken by people who have used the centre
34 John Bull Pub. Long since closed and demolished.
50- 60 site of house which where Doris and Muriel Lester rented a house, started a nursery school, and in 1912 were joined by their brother Kingsley, who died two years later. This laid the foundations for what became Kingsley Hall.
92 The Children's Nursery. This was established in 1912 and built by C. Cowles-Voysey for Muriel Lester in 1923 on the site of some stables. It was built as a nursery school plus accommodation for staff and was opened by HG Wells hoping to incorporate radical principle in child care. There is a sculpture over the main entrance of the Madonna and Child by Gilbert Bayes and inside is a mural by the artist and writer, Eve Garnet. A plaque on the building refers to its past. The building still functions as a nursery – although the web site mentions nothing about its past or founding principles.
Bruce Road United Methodist church. This 19th church appears to have been in place until the 1940s. A memorial to the dead of the Great War apparently survives from the church.
Rounton Park. A small local park with a walk way, benches, landscaped gardens, a children’s play area and trees.
Railway Bridge. This carries the District Line between Bromley by Bow and Bow Road stations. Here, beneath the road, was Campbell Road Junction. A building on the north west side of the road may or may not be an amenity building for the railway. There are businesses in the arches here.
Campbell Road Junction. This dated from 1897 and was intended to cure hold ups on the railway. It was a joint venture between the Metropolitan Railway (today’s District Line) and the London Tilbury and Southend Railway. It created the Whitechapel and Bow Line which diverged from the District Railway here,
Signal Box. This stood in the western fork of the junction – on an area between the two railway bridges in Rounton Road behind what is now a car wash. It dated from 1905 replacing a predecessor from 1902 to the east.
1 Gurdwara Sikh Sanghat. The site was purchased in 1977 and established in 1979. The congregation, originated from ten villages in Pakistan and arrived in England in the early 1950's, following partition. They came from particular the Bhart Sikh community. This has since expanded into another building in a nearby street.
68 Cherry Trees School. Very small primary school for boys.
102 Fairfoot Library. Built by Harley Heckford in the 1930s, it includes the Poplar coat of arms and a date plaque. The library closed in the early 21st and in 2002 Tower Hamlets Council sold it at auction. The developer who bought it acquired planning consent to convert it into flats and sold it again for a vastly increased price.
This road once skirted the southern walls of Tower Hamlets Cemetery but now is within the nature reserve area and is no longer a residential road. It runs westward from the railway and some businesses are located in railway arches here.
This was originally called Park Street until the 1870s
St.Andrew’s Hospital. This was the The Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum which opened in 1871 south of the Stepney workhouse and built by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as a major hospital in this Sick Asylum District. It was designed by by A. Allarston with a pavilion plan which became a model for workhouse infirmaries. It included a water tower. A School of Nursing was established here in 1875 and a Nurses' Home in 1896. In 1920 it was renamed St Andrew's Hospital, after a local church destroyed in the Great War. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS. An Accident and Emergency Department opened in the 1980s in Devas Street but the hospital was gradually run down and finally emptied of patients in 2006 and the hospital was demolished. The site is now housing blocks.
Marner Primary School and Marner Children’s Centre. This was Marner Street School built in 1893 for the London School Board. It then stood in Marner Street which ran parallel and south of Devas Road and which disappeared in post-Second World War Developments. Te school had a war memorial to the dead of the Great War. It was severely damaged in Second World War bombing but survived and renamed Marner School in 1951. The school is currently undergoing some redesign and new buildings being added to the original.
Devons Road originally ran south westwards from Bruce Road to join its present route at a point east of the Campbell Road junction. At a point probably in the late 1960s this was changed and it was diverted to run south from Bruce Road on the line of what had been Brickfield Road and then at the junction with Devas Road to turn at right angles and run due west across what had been the railway motive power depot to join its original route east of Campobello Road. This stretch of road is elevated and acts as a bridge covering the area which was once railway sidings and then what is now the Docklands Light Railway line.
Devon’s Road Motive Power Depot. This is effectively the southern part of Bow Works Devons Road which ran as far as the Limehouse Cut. This part opened in 1882 and under steam days provided motive power for trains out of Broad Street. The entrance was at the south end of Brickfield Road. The depot was built under John Park, and had two sheds with coaling and watering facilities. In the 1930s one shed was demolished and concrete mechanical coaling plant built. . In 1934, it was transferred to the Midland Division, with 73 locomotives. The depot survived the war and in 1957 it became Britain's first all diesel depot. Bigger depots were later built and it was closed from 1964, and the work transferred to Stratford. It was eventually demolished,
Devons Road Goods Depot. This was opened by the LNER for coal traffic in 1874, and enlarged to handle freight in 1891. In 1916, it was bombed in a Zeppelin raid. Despite a large bomb crater, traffic was restored. It closed in 1964.
Devons Road Station. This opened in 1987 and lies between Langdon Park and Bow Church on the Docklands Light Railway. It is on what was the North London Line, at the far western edge of the Bow Railway Works.
75 Widows Son or Bun House Pub. There is said to have been a Bun House here in 1829 owned by a widow. Expecting her sailor soon home at Easter made some buns for him, and when he did not arrive, hung them up on the rafters and this has continued every year since. There is an annual ceremony every Good Friday performed by a sailor. The pub dates form 1840 and has been closed but is now reopened. It is said there are six squares & numbers on a stone in the cellar – and a Widow’s Son is a freemason.
105/117 Acme Studios. Started in two derelict shops as bases for artists
135 Lighthouse Baptist Church. A plain Baptist church built in 1895 by E. Holman. It began in the 1860s as Lighthouse Mission in Blackthorn Street. When the Lighthouse building was opened, it was used for Sunday School classes and as a base for young people until the Blackthorn Street chapel was destroyed in Second World War bombing.
224 Tenterden Arms. This was on the corner of Fern Street. It dated from 1869 and was a Truman’s house. It closed in 2007 and demolished in 2012 and replaced with a flats and a betting shop.
248b All Hallows Rectory. Built in the 1870s and now appears to be let as flats
Church Hall. Built alongside the Rectory and now apparently flats.
Britannia Rubber Works. Kampultican Works. This stood opposite All Hallows in the 19th and had been established in 1854.
Bow Triangle Business Centre. On the site of a small railway goods yard.
Crossrail ventilation shaft
Traveller residential site
Until the late 1960s the section of road running south from Devas Street to the right angle bend, was part of Brickfield Street. Earlier still, until 1879, Empson Street was called George Street and was residential.
1 Print Processes Litho Ltd. this firm has been on site here since at least the 1960s.
104 The Beehive pub. This pub dates from the 1840s – although the building looks more modern than that and it is not shown on maps until after the Second World War.
W. Lusty and Sons. Lloyd Loom. This firm was on the 17 acres of Russia Wharf and Saw Mills on the south side of the street. The Lloyd Loom process was invented in 1917 by an American, Marshall B. Lloyd, who twisted Kraft paper round a metal wire, placed the paper threads on a loom and wove them. William Lusty was a merchant who salvaged driftwood from London canals to make packing crates and who got the patent rights to the Lloyd Loom process and set up here. By the 1930s it was popular and successful. Production here ended following the bombing of the factory in the Second World War. The business was relaunched in 1951 but sales did not recover and the London factory was closed and the business moved to Worcestershire and in 1968 it stopped production. The site has been used for a variety of works since and is currently under development and for use as studios.
St Andrews church. This stood in what had been Brickfield Street and was destroyed in Second World War bombing.
Poplar Civic Theatre. This was the area to the rear of the old Town Hall which fronts partly on Fairfield Road. Before the Town Hall was built in the 1930s this was the site of a vestry hall.
2a Rectory for St.Mary’s Church. This is a mid-19th building on part of the site of an earlier house
70 Linc Centre. This is a low, informal advice centre of the 1990s. It is used by various groups, a nursery and so on from the Lincoln Hall estate
The Fern Street Settlement. This was opened by Clara Grant, who became head teacher at the infants' school in Devon's Road in 1900, and moved into a house in Fern Street. Clara was motivated by her Christian faith to address the poverty and deprivation here established Fern Street Settlement as a hub to improve the lives of families living in and around Bromley-by-Bow. The Fern Street Settlement has been working for the well-being of families here since 1907. Inspired by Canon Barnett at Toynbee Hall, Clara helped her school children with breakfast, clothes and boots. She collected toys and other bits and pieces and made them into little bundles, which were sold for a farthing. They were in great demand, and to manage the crowds of children she built a wooden arch on was written: 'Enter all ye children small, none can come who are too tall'.
Memorial plaque to Clara Grant
Samuel Berger & Co. Starch Works. Rice Starch blenders. This company dated from at least the 1830s. They were eventually taken over by Reckitt and Coleman and subsequently Unilever. They closed in 1969. The works was on or near the site of Grace Place.
Formerly Avenue Road. The name is to commemorate Rev Henry James Kitcat, rector of St Mary’s 1904 -1921 who was responsible for the building of the parish hall here.
St.Mary’s Parish Hall. This appears to be used by various social services work of Tower Hamlets Council. It no longer belongs to the church.
Exit doorway to the Great Eastern Railway Bow Station and a walkway between it and Bow Road Station. The door was said to exist in the 1980s but appears to have been removed during subsequent development.
Clara Grant School. Originally, this was All Hallows School and its Clara Grant was Head Teacher . The school was built on a different site in 1905 and is a London School Board building with a a formal three-decker front with a flat roofed playground and a separate nursery block. It was then called Devons School. It was renamed The Clara Grant Primary School in 1993 and there have been additions and alterations to the building since.
Bow School. This was built in 1913 by London County Council Architects Dept, replacing a school of 1876. There is also a schoolkeeper's house and a Performing Arts Centre built in 1995 by Robert Byron Architects. The school moved to a new site in Twevetrees Crescent and this site may become a primary school,
Kingsley Hall. The building was established as a Christian fellowship in 1915 by Doris and Muriel Lester, sisters from Loughton. They bought the Zion Chapel on the corner of Botolph and Eagling Roads and named it Kingsley Hall in memory of their brother. It dates from 1926-8 designed by C Cowles-Voysey. Inside is a ground-floor hall and chapel with recreation rooms above ad rooms for residential workers. Responsibilities were shared on the model of an ashram, following Muriel Lester's visit to Gandhi at Ahmedabad. . After the Second World War the building was used by R.D.Laing as a psychiatric unit and the patients destroyed much of the interior. Doris Lester died in 1965 and Muriel Lester in 1968. The hall was later restored and is now a community centre. David Ricardo, economist, grew up there.
Plaque to Gandhi. He stayed here for six weeks during 1931 when he attended the Round Table Conference at St James's Palace, for negotiations for Indian independence. His room here is kept as a memorial.
Peace Garden. This opened in 1985 and for the Lester sisters working for peace was a very important part of their lives. There was once a small sculpture by Gilbert Bayes, donated by A.A. Milne. There is an has an abstract metal sculpture in the peace garden
The railway infrastructure of this area and its history is – to put it at a minimal – detailed and confusing.
Fenchurch Street Line. Main line trains run through the area, passiug through Bromley by Bow Station (which is in the square to the east, but the line runs westward of this) this was built in two parts either side of Gas Factory Junction (which is near the Bow Triangle Business Centre. It originated from 1849 train services which ran on what was called the London and Blackwall Extension Railway from Fenchurch Street to Gas Factory Junction where it curved north and went to a station on Bow Road called Bow and Bromley. In the 1850s there were changes to services and eventually a line was added from Barking to Gas Factory Junction in 1856. The line was operated by the Great Eastern Railway until 1921 when it was operated by the London and North Eastern Railway and it is often referred to by the initials of these companies until nationalisation. A station called Bow Road was built on the line on the north side of Bow Road. On the south side of Bow Road were a station called Bow and Bromley and another Bow Road. No station now exists at either location.
The District Line. This also passes through the area stopping at Bow Road Station on Bow Road and then on to Bromley by Bow Station (in the square to the east). Although these are now ‘underground’ stations, the line was not seen, when built, as anything different to the other surrounding lines bad – as were other lines – was set up by a consortium of railway companies. In 1897 The Whitechapel and Bow Railway was promoted – and seen as a way to relieve pressure on Whitechapel bad Fenchurch Street Stations. It ran from Whitechapel to Bow Road and met the London and Tilbury Fenchurch Street line (above) at a junction now under Campbell Road. The stations were built to be able to take London & Tilbury trains. It opened in 1902 and was managed by the District Railway. Trains ran through to East Ham and it was electrified soon after. A new signalling scheme was set up in the 1920s. In 1933 the District came under the control of the London Passenger Transport Board – and hence ceased to be part of the railway network and there were moves to isolate ‘underground’ lines from ‘railway’ lines in areas, like this, where lines were shared,. There have been numerous changes in management since, but the stretch of line between Bromley by Bow Station and Campbell Road junction is still shared.
Docklands Light Railway. This runs mainly on the line of what was built as the East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway. It was conceived as a coal carrying line bringing coal from the docks up into north London and beyond. In 1850 it was connected to Bow Junction where it joined the line into Fenchurch Street and was finally finished down into the docks in 1852. By then it was taking passengers and stations were thus provided one of which was Bow Station on Bow Road. The North London Railway’s massive Bow Works was built alongside the line in this area south of Bow Road.
This is the main road within the Crossway Estate built from 1970 by London County Council housing. It was built on the site of part of the Bow locomotive works with three twenty-five- storey towers constructed while the tracks were still in use. Rainhill – referring to the Rainhill Trials in 1829 has a railway connection for building on the site of the railway works. This is also reflected in the names of the tower blocks – Mallard Point, Hackworth Point.
St. Agnes Catholic Primary School. In 1865 the school was opened on this site in what was then Arrow Road with the Dominican Sisters teaching here. The infants remained in a building in the Convent grounds in Bow Road. In the Second World War, the school was bombed. In 1951, the school was re-organised as a Junior Mixed and Infant School on the present site. A nursery class was opened in 1956.
Prospect Park. The site of the park was previously part of the railway yard – an area of sidings running north east from the engine sheds near the Limehouse Cut.. Three pieces of masonry found during construction have been retained. These stones were found in a pile in the railway yard and are on end as small parallel pillars. One stone shows a winged angel which might have come from St Andrew's Church which once stood near here. The park was laid out in 1995 and has a children’s play area, and a nature reserve.
20 Old Duke of Cambridge. Pub which closed in 2013
Saint Andrew’s Way
This road is going through an area once in the railway works. It consists of a series of trading estates and buildings
St Andrews house. London Ambulance Service. This dates from 1998 with a curved tower; three metal-clad floors above a tall grey brick service basement. It is one of three such centres for the service in London
This is the old main road which ran from Bow to the Docks and the river. It now follows the route of the Tunnel Approach Road, built in ways to replace it. It eventually peters out to the south in a miserable path between the motorway and modern blocks of flats.
Nunnery of St Leonard. This was a Benedictine foundation from at least 1122 and perhaps a pre-Conquest foundation. It was founded by William, Bishop of London, for a prioress and nine nuns. Henry VIII gave it to Sir Ralph Sadler, who converted it into a house. In 1635 the then Lord of the Manor, Sir John Jacob, demolished it and built a new house there, on the site. This stood east between the churchyard and Priory Street. At the end of the 18th it was a private boarding school for boys, Bromley School or Bromley Manor House Academy. It was demolished early in the 19th
St.Leonard’s church. This dated from 1842 and was a replacement of a 12th used as the nunnery church and adapted for the parish in 1835. It was demolished in 1842. The Chancel was one of the few Saxon buildings left in London and retained Saxon artefacts and Norman features. All that is left is part of the boundary wall. It was destroyed by bombing and the construction of the Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road.
Churchyard. This contains the remnants of St Leonard's Church and is entered through a stone archway of 1894. Huguenot refugees in the 17th and 18th built their tombs in the churchyard. Much of the site passed out of ecclesiastical control by 1819 and was used for housing. It was closed for burials in January 1856. When the Blackwall Tunnel Approach underpass was built in 1969 many remains were re-interred in the East London Cemetery. Some of the area was a children's playground in the 1990s
Memorial Gate. This was erected in 1894 as a memorial to the Rev G A How, vicar 1872-93.
Dye House. This stood near the church in the 18th and Dyers Row ran south of the graveyard,
The Old Palace. This was a house which stood here 1606 - 1894. It was said to have been a hunting lodge built by James I and his arms were displayed inside. It later became Palace House School. In 1893 it was acquired by the School Board for London as a site for a school. Its demolition led to protests headed by the architect C.R. Ashbee and as a result some relics were preserved and some plaster panelling is in The Victoria & Albert Museum.
Old Palace Primary School. This replaced a board school of 1894 which was destroyed in the Second World War. It was designed in 1952 by Cecil C. Handisyde in the Festival of Britain tradition. In the playground is a sculpture: 'No' which is a bronze boy wrestling a cat, by Bainbridge Copnall. On a wall is a memorial plaque to the 36 firemen killed during the Second World War when it was head quarters of the local rescue services.
37 Mahee Court. This was once the Priory Tavern, now flats
Arch. This forms the entrance to the Bromley by Bow Centre. It is an 18th structure designed by William Kent which came from Northumberland House, near the Embankment. It became the entrance to the garden of Tudor House, now Bob's Park. It was moved here in 1998.
Bromley by Bow Centre. Designed by Gordon MacLaren of Wyatt MacLaren. This developed gradually following the appointment of anew minister in 1984 around the Congregational Church, sited in Bruce Road where the older church hall remains. Between the two buildings is a planted courtyard. The church interior was remodelled in 1991-2 to provide a central worship area the church hall was subdivided, with classrooms on the upper floor.
Healthy Living Centre. This was built on land taken from the park in 1995 and is a curved building in vivid orange brick designed by Wyatt MacLaren in 1997. It houses a doctors' practice and other services and grew out of the community work undertaken initially from the Congregational Church. There is a covered link to the church which runs beside a small landscaped courtyard including a sculpture: the Passenger, by Paula Haughney commissioned to remember the life of Lord Ennals.
Bromley-By-Bow Centre Gardens. This is the Paradise Gardens, with potted plants and mosaics plus a courtyard with a pergola and pool.
Tudor House. This was an early 17th house latterly occupied by George Gammon Rutty who added an archway, two stone statues and a ship's figurehead.
Bob's Park. This was a Recreation Ground laid out by the London County Council in 1900 on the site of Tudor House. In the early 21st it was bought by the Bromley by Bow Centre and redesigned. It is named after Robert Greenfield, the onetime park keeper. A path meanders through the park like a stream and has set into it blue glass squares with pictures of animals or flora that live in water. There is a children’s play area with a scaled serpent or dragon with a trough down it's back designed to fill with water after rain. There are allotment beds accessible to the disabled and ceramic pathways. There is a seat in the shape of a large smiling animal; another is in the shape of a bird. There is also a War Memorial obelisk with a wreath and there is a cafe, Pie in the Sky, 2002: by Wyatt MacLaren
Stepney Union Workhouse. This was opened in 1861 south of what is now Talwin Street. It was designed by Henry Jarvis for 800 inmates as a grand building with a south facing frontage with a tower. There were additional works along the boundary with the railway to prevent escapees from using that route. The buildings were badly damaged in Second World War bombing and the surviving parts used for homeless families. It was demolished in 1966.
St Leonard’s Schools. These stood on the south corner of what is now Talwin Street. There was a national school here before 1841. It is later shown as a Sunday School and post Second World War has become an upholstery works. The site is now flats.
50 The Imperial Crown. This pub dated from before 1841. It was a Taylor Walker Brewery house with tiled brewery signage on the Talwin Street wall. It closed in 2003 and is now flats.
Stroudley Walk. This was named for the locomotive engineer William Stroudley. This area was to be the centrepiece of a new estate, with shops and a market and brick arches were built with flats above. None of this worked.
Warren House tower block built on the site of Bromley's former police station.
8 Rose and Crown Pub. This pub dates from the 1720s when it was the Bowling Green Inn. It was rebuilt in the late 19th and renamed. It was a Taylor Walker house. It closed in 2007 and is now a shop.
Obelisk. Outside the pub stood a horse trough and drinking fountain surmounted by an ornate gas lamp, locally referred to as the Obelisk.
32-40 Stroudley Walk Health Centre This community health hub is a relatively recent initiative, open for clinics and advice for 12 hours every weekday
31 Streets of Growth "A social enterprise charity specialising in engaging youth and young adults away from educational and career drop-out
This was once called Love Lane.
24 Queen Mary Nursery. Built to the rear of what was Bow Common Methodist Church in Devons Road in 1937 by S.P Dales, founded as part of a Methodist mission and school established as its East-End Mission in 1885, to combat poverty and squalor with evangelism and social work. It was badly damaged in the first night of the 1940 blitz. There is a carved brick relief of a figure with two children high up. It is now in the ownership of the local authority – possibly since 1971. It was apparently closed in 2016.
Bromley Picture Palace. This was a cinema in the conversion of a former Methodist school-room by the architectural firm Moffatt & Dearing and which opened in 1910. It later became the Tidey Street Picture Palace, and in 1919, it was re-named Whitehorn Cinema. It closed in 1930 following a licencing problems and never re-opened. The Queen Mary Nursery now operates from the site.
The Kinematograph Theatre. This was probably a shop conversion, in 1909 which closed in 1910 when the Cinematograph Licencing Act became law.
This follows the railway line and is built on the line of what once were sidings from the Bow Road Goods Depot.
Electric substation. This was built by Poplar Council pre-1930 and has their coat of arms on it. Called the pumphouse it was disused for 30 years and has since been converted to housing.
Tower Hamlets Cemetery
Only the eastern third of the cemetery is in this square, the rest is in the square to the west.
Round Glade. Now with a Habi-Sabi Bat Roost
Lime Tree Walk
Hurricane Woods. This area was badly affected by the winds in the 1987 storm. A plantation of tall plane trees was blown down.
Dissenters’ chapel in what is now called Hurricane Woods. Designed by Wyatt and Brandon, this has an octagonal form, and is in the Byzantine style. Underneath are extensive catacombs,
Holly Walk with Poplar War Memorial
Memorial to Victims of Second World War Air Raids in Poplar. This is in the Holly Wood area. It is a simple curved brick structure erected in 1952. The brickwork is topped with concrete and there is a flower bed at the base.
Cantrell Glade Entrance
New flats and roadway on the line of the walkway which once ran over the Bow Railway Works.
Ventilation Shaft. This brick structure, looks like a chimney but is a sewer ventilation shaft from the late 19th
Wellington Buildings. These were built to rehouse those made homeless by the District Line construction.
Wellington Way Centre. Built as a maternity clinic in 1927.
Wellington Primary School. This was opened as an open air school in 1928 by the London County Council.
13 Open House, this is currently the Mind Centre. The dairy signage outside remains.
Model Farm dairy. This dated from 1890 with a cow shed to the rear. It swas owned by a Reuben Alexander
Francis Mary Buss House. The dairy was bought by the North London Collegian School in 1926 to commemorate 100 years since Frances Mary Buss’ birth and wass converted for social services and a ‘settlement’ by the school and club premises for local people as Frances Mary Buss House. The cowshed was turned into a library. It closed in 1967 and was leased to other organizations.
William Guy Gardens
William Guy Gardens is a development of council houses on the approximate site of Bromley Workhouse
Ian Mikardo School. special school for boys aged 11-16, who have been deemed unteachable. It moved here in 2011 from a site in Weavers Fields. Ian Mikardo was the long term MP for the area.
Bow Arts. Web site
Bow Central Mosque. Web site
Bow Church. Web site
Brewery History Society
British History Online. Bow. Web site
Children’s House Nursery. Web site
Clara Grant School. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Connor. Fenchurch Street to Barking.
Day. London Underground
Diamond Geezer. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
East London History Society. Newsletter
Fern Street Settlement. Web site
Friends of the Earth. London Gas Works site
Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Greater London Council .Home sweet Home
Historic England. Web site
Horne. The District Line
Ian Mikardo School. Web site
Lighthouse Church. Web site
London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Web site
London Footprints. Web site
London Railway Record
London Travellers. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Lost Pubs. Web site
MIND. Web site
North London Collegiate School. Web site
Our Lady and Catherine of Siena. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry, East London
Pub History. Web site
Robins. North London Line,
Stewart. Gas Works of the North Thames area
Taking Stock. Web site
Tower Habitats. Web site
Welch. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway
Wikipedia Web sites
Workhouses. Web site
Posted by M at 09:31