Houses. The first houses were built in 1933. The layout of the houses us a chequerboard copied from the layout of Bata houses in Zlin, Czech Republic, where Bata originated.
Hostels for young men and women workers at Bata,
28-30 houses for Bata workers. These houses were designed and built in 1930-33. They are based on the International Modern style. They were built by local builders for local people, not as 'one-off' homes for the rich.
East Tilbury Library. This was part of the Bata Estate and housed the Bata Heritage collection. It is currently closed due to a fire in early 2017 after a vehicle was driven into the library and set alight. The Bata Reminiscence and Resource Centre at East Tilbury Library was set up to collect the memories of people who lived and worked within the British Bata community.
Bata Estate. This road is part of the Bata Estate. In 1933 the first houses for Bata workers were built, set among gardens in a chequerboard pattern and were in a modernist style. They were built of welded steel columns, roof trusses with reinforced concrete walls. The Czech architects Frantuisek Lydie Gahura and Vladimir Karfik designed them.
East Tilbury Station. This opened in 1936 and now lies between Tilbury Town and Stanford Le Hope stations. It is on a loop of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. It was originally a halt to serve workers at the Bata Shoe Factory and they paid for the platforms to be built, but it was only a working hours service. It became a proper station in 1949. Trains also accessed Tilbury Riverside station until its closure.
This joins East Tilbury to Chadwell St.Mary
Princess Margaret road
Scout Hut. A large building with a model of a scout above the main door.
Gobions Park. This is named after an adjacent farm and is described as ‘recent’.
Electricity transformer site
Recreation Club designed by Bronek Katz in 1960.
Production House. This is the site of the Bata garage/petrol station once stood. Stop now
Stanford House, This was the Bata Hotel, also once called Community House. On the ground floor was a ballroom, a restaurant and in the 1950s there was a Czech library which later became the residents lounge. The whole first floor was the workers canteen and the other floors had rooms and flats for workers. Families who worked for Bata overseas stayed in the Hotel when they came back on leave. Flat No 1 was for the use of the Bata family when they were in England.
Shops and facilities. All the social needs of the workforce were met here. "Bata-ville" had all the services of a normal town, including a theatre, sports facilities, hotel, restaurant, grocery and butcher shops, post office, and its own newspaper.
Thames Industrial Park sited in some of the buildings of the Bata Factor
Bata Shoe Factory. Here shoes were produced for over 70 years. It was founded in 1932 by Tomas Bata and closed in 2005. The works originated in 1894 in Zlin. In 1932 a Tilbury clergyman negotiated a shoe factory here. In the Second World War it became "British Bata" .After the war, Bata's Czech offices and other facilities were nationalised by communist regimes. In England as production was gradually shifted to facilities closer to its export markets in the 1960s Factory downsizing began in the 1980s
Tomas Bata Statue. The founder of the Bata Shoe Company.
Factory Gate. This is where the workers entered. They ‘clocked on’ here
Administration building which housed reception, retail, the managers’ offices and the export department.
24 this was the the leather factory
34, this was the rubber factory.
Bata Heritage Centre. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Radical Essex. Web site
Sunday, 28 October 2018
Post to the east Wandsworth
Post to the north Putney riverside
Cromer Villas Road
Southfields Lawn Tennis Club. Founded in 1884.
St Stephens. The original church was built in 1881 designed by Lee Bros. & Pain. It was a large church in brick with a slate roof. There was a single bell. It was closed in 1974, redundant and demolished in 1979. Part of the site was sold and a new church built on the remainder in 1980 known as Wandsworth, St Stephen.
Point Pleasant Junction.
This junction is formed when the line from East Putney Station diverges east onto a line built in 1886 by the District Railway as a double track line from their river crossing to a junction with the Windsor Lines. This was reduced to single track in the 1980s. It is also used by a line from Wimbledon to Wandsworth Town by South Western Railway for empty stock movements and occasional service train diversions, as well as some early morning trains to and from Waterloo for train crew. Until 1990, the eastbound tracks crossed over the tracks of the Clapham Junction line via a bridge north of this to East Putney and then ran parallel with the main line on a viaduct for some distance before merging with the tracks at Point Pleasant junction to the east of Putney Bridge Road. This link is no longer used and the main deck of the viaduct has been removed
Ashcroft Technology Academy. This is a secondary school which includes a sixth form and an Autism Resource Centre. It Hs had millions pounds spent on it. It is named after its sponsor, Lord Ashcroft and is a registered charity called Prospect Education (Technology) Trust Limited. Previously it was ADT College established in 1991 as a City Technology College, funded by donations from ADT Security Services whose owner at the time was one Michael Ashcroft), In 2007, the school was converted into an ‘academy’. Before all this it was Mayfield School, an all-girl's comprehensive. This was built in 1956 by Powell and Moya. It was seen as a reaction against large and intimidating buildings. There are also the remains of Wandsworth County Secondary School which had opened in, West Hill in 1907 and moved here in 1910
Whitelands College. Until the 1990s this was college was on a site roughly opposite the entrance to Cromer Villas Road. The College had been founded by The Church of England’s National Society in 1841. Originally it was at Whitelands House, in Chelsea as a women’s teacher training college. In 1930 they moved here to a new college designed by Giles Gilbert Scott. By the early 1960s there was an increasing demand for wider access to tertiary education and Whitelands helped expand the numbers of teachers in training. Student numbers rose and men were admitted from the mid-fifties. Because of cuts in training by Thatcher the College entered into an academic federation with three other south-west London teacher training colleges to form the Roehampton Institute of Higher Education. In 2000 it became the University of Surrey, Roehampton and in 2004 was awarded independent University status. Whitelands College moved to new premises in 2005 in Roehampton. The Sutherland Grove premises were sold for housing as Whitelands Park estate and developed in a contemporary style. The main college building and chapel, by Giles Gilbert Scott, were preserved as the estate's central feature.
Whitelands College. Built in 1928-30 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott reinforced concrete clad in hand-made red brick. It is composed of a block plan, integrating teaching and living accommodation in one building.
Forest Lodge. This was a house built for 1862-65 for Joseph Gurney a shorthand writer to the Houses of Parliament in Italianate style.
Lodge, walls and piers designed 1928-30 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. The wrought iron gates are partly 18th brought from Old Whitelands College, Chelsea. The lodge is clad in hand made red brick.
Chapel. Built 1928-30 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. This is in red brick. Originally with a Burne Jones stained glass windows and a William Morris reredos.
Upper Richmond Road
This is part of the South Circular Road A205
Free church. This was present before 1920.
76-78 Wandsworth county court
East Putney Station. Opened in 1889 it lies between Putney Bridge and Southfields Stations on the District Line branch to Wimbledon. It was opened by the District Railway on an extension from Putney Bridge built by the London and South Western Railway which ran its trains over the line via a loop which joins Clapham Junction to Barnes. Passenger services between Waterloo and Wimbledon ran through East Putney but were ended in 1941, but the line remained in British Rail ownership until 1994 when London Underground bought it for £1. The junction between the District line tracks and what is now the National Rail loop from Point Pleasant to the main line is south of the station. In the station itself are two pairs of tracks - one for each operator – so there is a Y-shaped layout with a shared central island platform and two separate platforms. The street-level station entrance is between the two arms of the Y. The National Rail platforms are rarely used neglected and while the connection to the Clapham Junction/ Barnes line remains it is used only to transfer trains to the train care depot at Wimbledon or if there is a blockage elsewhere. Trains run in the early morning for train crews pass through East Putney station on a daily basis, but without stopping and There are very infrequent movements of Network Rail engineering trains and light engine movements through the station as well. The District line runs south from the Station on a curve because it was originally intended to build a line to Kingston through a tunnel under Putney Heath but this was never built. Buildings on the east side of the station were closed and demolished in 1959 along with the subway. These included a milk depot and an Electrical engineering works
94-98 East Putney Tavern. Opened 2017.
138 Prince of Wales. Large pub decorated with old beer signs and tankards. Dates from the 1870s.
170 Brazilian Naval Commission in Europe. An Executive Branch of the Brazilian Government. Within the United Kingdom it is a department of the Brazilian Embassy.
65 British Legion Club. Social and drinking club for ex-service personnel
63 Putney Club. This was a working men’s club. It now includes a dance studio.
8-20 this was once offices for the Ministry of Pensions. Now rebuilt as housing
This is the A3 road, the London to Portsmouth Road, beginning at the Bank of England. Here it leaves he south circular road to turn south west.
Royal Hospital for Neuro-Disability. This was originally The Hospital for Incurables founded in 1854 following a public meeting at the Mansion House, chaired by the Lord Mayor of London. Its founder was Revd Dr Andrew Reed who was responsible for a number of charitable institutions. He saw a need for middle-class patients with incurable conditions who were not admitted to voluntary hospitals. Paupers went to the workhouse but the better off had nowhere to go. The hospital was originally in Carshalton and later in Putney. In 1863 they moved to Melrose Hall on West Hill – a very large, grand house by W. P. Griffith. This had gardens planned by Brown and improved by Repton and had its own farm. The Hospital was entirely financially dependent on subscriptions and donations. In 1879 the Prince of Wales became its Patron. A new wing - the Great Extension - was opened in 1882 with offices, an Assembly Room, a dining room, a kitchen and a bakery, and a hydraulic lift. In 1903 it was renamed the Royal Hospital for Incurables. In the 1930s the Hospital farm was closed. In 1947 the Hospital appealed against being included in the NHS and remained independent. By the beginning of the 1970s the Hospital was caring for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis, arthritis, Parkinson's disease, congenital spastic paralysis or hemiplegia an gradually more extensions were added A Brain Injury Unit was also opened at the Hospital, the first in the country and in 1987, Vegetative State Unit opened. In 1988 the Hospital became the Royal Hospital and Home, Putney and in 1995it became the Royal Hospital for Neuro-Disability. The Institute of Complex Neuro-Disability opened in 2003 as a research and educational establishment, later renamed the Institute of Neuropalliative Rehabilitation. It continues to be run by a medical charity and continues to expand.
Holy Trinity. This church was built in 1863 by M. K. Hahn to take the increasing poiipation. The spire was added in 1888 by G. Patrick. It is now linked with the parish church of All Saints. When the church was built Otto Goldschmidt, the organist, had founded the Bach Choir and was Vice-President of Royal Academy of Music. In 1889 an organ - was presented by J. D. Charrington of the brewery. It was built by Henry Willis and Sons the leading organ builders. The bells of Holy Trinity are generally considered some of the finest in the area. They were cast and installed in 1926 by Taylor’s of Loughborough,
All Saints and Holy Trinity Church. Web site
Ashfield Academy. Web site
London Borough of Wandsworth. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Web site
Positively Putney. Web site
Southfields Tennis Club Web site
St.Stephens, Wandsworth. Web site
University of Roehampton. Web site
Posted by M at 10:59
Tuesday, 9 October 2018
Post to the north Little Ilford
Post to the east Barking Newham borders
St.Barnabas church .Anglican parish church which originated with an iron church on the site of the current vicarage built in 1896. The current church was built in 1900-9 and designed by William Bucknall & Ninian Comper. It is in. three-gabled brick and front set back from the road. Inside is a pulpit with field ceiling 17th brought from Rayleigh, Essex and a stained glass window, by Comper. It was restored in 2016. In the 1970s Crisis at Christmas was planned here and the church was used as a night shelter.
Trinity Community Centre. This was Trinity church which began in the 1890s when Alexander Thompson, began to hold Presbyterian meetings. A site was bought in East Avenue, and in 1900 an iron church was built. In 1903 a permanent church was built with a free Gothic front in red brick, with a short tower designed by John Wills. In 1905 halls were added by T.J. Jones. In 1941 the church was joined by the congregation of Trinity Presbyterian church from which it took over the name Trinity. Church. It closed in 1972 because of low attendance and the building became a community centre. At first it was run by a Christian charity, but later a Management Committee was established which was independent of all religious groups. It now houses a mixture of its own projects and independent groups
Great War memorial on the front wall.
High Street North
395 The Renewal Programme. This charity dates from 1971 and was originally set up by Christian churches to counter deprivation. A number of other bodies working in the community are also in this large building. This was Manor Park Congregational Church, the Church of Christ. This dated from 1897 with an iron church in Coleridge Avenue. In 1904 a new church plus a hall, was opened in High Street North 1903 by G. and R.P Baines. In building this the congregation incurred a debt of over £5,500, and only saved the church with donations
386 Ruskin Arms. This large pub dates from the 1880s and reopened in 2013 with a new cheap hotel to the rear, It had previously put on three decades of local Rock and Heavy Metal music, and was the 'Home' of IRON MAIDEN. The pub was also once run by the parents of Small Faces' original keyboard player, Jimmy Langwith, and Steve Marriott's father Bill used to run a fish stall opposite
361 Plashet Jewish cemetery. Founded 1896. This is now an unattended cemetery, looked after from East Ham/Marlow Road by the North East London office of the United Synagogue Burial Society. The former entrance lodge is now hidden behind a 6 foot fence and is no longer in cemetery use. The only greenery is an avenue of small, pollarded chestnut trees which line the main path. The cemetery suffered serious vandalism in 2003 when 386 tombstones were vandalised.
272 Sri Mahalakshmi Temple. The Temple was built in 1989 and was consecrated in 1990.
266 Newham Central Mosque. Jamia Mosque and Islamic Centre Anjuman-e-Islamia has been spreading the light of the Quran and Sunnah since the 1980's. It was one of the first and is still the largest Jamia Mosque in Newham.
266 The Picture Coliseum opened in 1912 and was designed by F.W. Buen. It was entered through a shop with the auditorium at the back, In 1937 it was operated by Sir John Bethel, and it was closed in 1943. In the 1990’s it was re-furbished and converted into a Mosque
241 London Sri Mahalakshmi Temple. This is newly built on the site of an old pub in Plashet Grove to replace the previous temple which had become to small.
East Ham Station. Opened in 1858 this lies between Barking and Upton Park Stations on the District and Hammersmith and City Lines. It was Built by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway for trains running between to Bow and Barking. In 1895 a special bay platform was used for Midland trains from St Pancras via Blackhorse Road. In 1902 it was first used by underground trains and became the terminus from 1905 and from 1908 trains ran on to Barking. The station was rebuilt for the District Line. There is a red brick bridge frontage and well preserved platform canopies with good ironwork incorporating the LTS monogram. In 1905 the District Line was electrified. In 2005 the 19th ironwork was refurbished.
Kensington Avenue Primary School. Kensington Avenue board school was opened in 1901. It was reorganized in 1929 for senior girls, junior girls, and infants, in 1945 for junior mixed and infants, and in 1957 for junior mixed only. It is now an ‘academy’ in the Tapscott ‘Learning Trust’.
Lathom Junior School. Lathom Road board school was opened in 1898. It was reorganized in 1932 for junior boys, junior girls, and infants, in 1945 for junior boys and junior girls only, in 1953 for junior mixed and infants, and in 1959 for juniors only.
Plashet School. This is a girls’ secondary school. It is in two buildings on opposite sides of Plashet Grove, linked by Plashet Unity Bridge since 2000. The school dates to 1932 when the East Ham Grammar School for Girls first opened on the South site.. In 1953, the North site was built for Plashet County Secondary Modern School for Girls. The two schools became Plashet School in 1972
171 Burnell Arms. Pub burnt down and now replaced by a Hindu Temple. .the pub dated from the 1890s and had a recent reputation as a rockabilly pub.
Gurdwara Dasmesh Darba. Thus is in what was St.Barnabas church hall which the Sikh community purchased in the mid 1970's. The original building has now been extended and various new area developed. The building is predominately on 1 floor with some facilities on the first floor.
Methodist Church which originated about 1894. 1947 it was transferred from the Forest Gate circuit to the East Ham mission, and it was closed about 1948
The road runs alongside Plashet Park (in the square to the west)
British History on line. East Ham. Web site.
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Day. London Underground
Field. London Place Names
Jamia Mosque. Web site
Jewish Cemeteries. Web site
Kensington Road School. Web site
Lathom School. Web site
London Railway Record
Plashet School. Web site
Renewal Programme. Web site
Room for Ravers. Web site
Ruskin Arms. Web site
Sikh Wiki. Web site
Sri Mahalakshmi. Web site
St. Barnabas Heritage. Web site
Posted by M at 02:30
Sunday, 7 October 2018
Post to the north Bounds Green Brook Strawberry Vale
Poat to the east Muswell Hill
Post to the south Mutton Brook Highgate
Beaumont Close. The Institute Arts Centre. This was built for the Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute on the site of the Neurorehabilitation Unit. It is essentially an adult education establishment. They had left the Henrietta Barnett School in 2004 and gone to Park House opposite East Finchley Station and later used part of McDonald’s headquarters. Meanwhile, a purpose-built Institute Arts Centre was built here. This was designed by Irvington Studio In a challenging local environment, as a simple modern studio building with high ceilings and large windows, tempered by solar shading. This opened in 2006 and, when the Institute quit McDonald’s last year, became the main study base. However, there were financial difficulties at the Institute and it was thought it would have to be sold to placate the bank. Later there has been a co-location arrangement with the Archer ‘Academy’ school.
Housing on the site of a house called Woodlands, once the parsonage
Cherry Tree Wood
Cherry Tree Wood is a remnant of Finchley Wood, which once stretched from Highgate to Whetstone. Mutton Brook rises here flowing west to join Dollis Brook in Hendon. The boundary hedge of the Bishop's Park survived as a field boundary on 19th maps, and marks the northern edge of the wood. It was once known as Dirt House Wood because night soil and horse manure from London's streets was brought to the Dirt House for fertiliser. In 1863 the wood was reduced with the building of the railway and this also blocked the brook and the area became known as "the Quag" or "Watery Woods". As a result watercress beds were set up. In 1910 housing development to the south reduced the size of the wood even more. The woods were purchased by Finchley Urban District Council from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1914 and opened to the public a year later. They changed the name to Cherry Tree Wood, after Cherry Tree Hill which was the name of the hill running along the High Road from the station. The park has a children’s playground, a pavilion and facilities. An English oak was planted to celebrate the coronation in 1952.
East Finchley Baptist Church. The church began in 1877 moving here in 1902 having previously been on other sites nearby. There are two church buildings here. The original building has been converted to housing. It was built in 1902 by G. & R.P. Baines, in knapped flint with Art Nouveau iron work. When the newer church was built next door in 1931 the flintstone building was used for Sunday school classes, and youth work and later sold. The church currently in use dates from 1930 and by the same firm.
Housing and office development on the site of land previously in railway and allotment use.
Housing development on the United Dairies site. This was a siding for the Manor Farm Dairy north of East Finchley station. They had been funded in 1875 and were part of United Dairies. From 1928 to 1948 bulk milk came here from Staffordshire. In 1936 the site was taken over by Wilts United Dairies who were a leading company in United Dairies and it became the head office of this company which has originated in Melksham. They eventually became part of the Unigate Group. It operated until 1960. The milk came in glass-lined railway tank wagons daily. A siding from the railway ran into the yard and the wagons were shunted in and out by a small petrol engined locomotive. The milk was bottled here and distributed by road to the surrounding areas – about 12,000 bottles of milk in the 1940s. There was also stabling outside for delivery by horse and cart. The site of the sidings is now the station car park and where the depot stood is housing and offices.
35a All Saints. This church was built in 1892 and designed by E. K. Q &. P. Cutts. In 1886 a fund was opened for a church and three plots, were ought in Durham Road. The Church Commissioners gave additional land extending into Coldfall Wood. Many items were donated to the church and it was consecrated in as a Chapel of Ease in the Parish of Holy Trinity. All Saints’ became a Shrine equipped for full Catholic Worship. In 1935, the old parish hall was built and it was used by various social and cultural organisations. This was sold off in the 1980s and the proceeds used to re-order the church. A new hall and facilities were also installed. The organ had come from the Wesleyan Chapel in Clapham High Street built for them in 1878 by Alfred Hunter. It was rebuilt here by Noel Mander. The church is in red brick with stone dressings. An intended tower was not built.
Pillar box. This is by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London at the Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works.
East End Road
East End Road was originally the route from Church End Finchley to the Great North Road. Where it met the Causeway, a hamlet developed called Park Gate; later known as Market Place.
Railway Bridge. This brick bridge may date to the origins of the line in 1867. There is said to be a bench mark on the south side.
214 Finchley Gospel Hall. The Primitive Methodists built a small iron chapel here in 1872. They moved out in 1905 and by 1911 it was a Gospel Hall. This appears to be still active.
250 Bobath Centre. This is a centre for children with cerebal palsy. It is about to move from this site. It is in the old primary school buildings. The Bobath Concept was a new approach to rehabilitation. Its founders were Berta Bobath a physiotherapist, and her husband Dr Karel Bobath. They had the ability to learn from experience and to adapt their concept with the changing needs of their patients.
East End National School was built in 1847 on demesne land from the Bishop of London. It was designed by Anthony Salvin, one of the original managing committee. It had separate boys', girls', and infants' departments and was designed to give a vocational education to poor children although it was never a purely industrial school. Boys were taught husbandry and girls were taught domestic service, with grounds where boys had their own garden plots. Money came from the National Society, charity estates, endowments, and school pence. By 1877 the industrial section was no longer officially subsidized, and was closed. In 1976 Holy Trinity primary school moved to a new building in Market Place the older buildings became a private school, the English Tutorial College and later the Bobath Centre.
273 Ismaili Jamatkhana. This mosque is on the site of the previous congregational church which stood on the junction with the High Road and was originally in the 1996 church built by the Congregationalists.
Laid out by the National Freehold Land Society in 1852 and built on a field next to one already developed with big houses. .
East Finchley lay on the southernmost tip of Finchley Common as the Great North Road climbed into a large area of heathland which was apparently infested with highwaymen. It was once Finchley Wood and under the authority of the Bishop of London who cleared the woodland, leaving open land where local people exercised commoners rights. From the 17th to the early 19th the common was sometimes used by the military and later mounted police were employed to deal with the highwaymen. Enclosure began with an Act of Parliament in 1811. 15 acres were set aside as the Fuel Lands, to be rented out and the money used to provide fuel to the poor. The Fuel Lands have been allotments since 1890. The common has now completely disappeared and the area covered with housing.
Fortis Green Road
Part of an old pilgrims’ road this was a track running along a ridge of ice age debris skirting the southern edge of Finchley Common. Before buildings obscured it there would have been extensive views to the south. It also provided an access route from the east to the north road. The area around the Clissold Pub and the police station is the hamlet of Fortis Green present from the 16th.
68 Fortis Green School. This was a co-educational progressive, independent, day and weekly boarding school set up on socialist and co-operative principles by Beatrix Tudor-Hart. In the 1930s s was in a house called Westside built in the 1860s. Beatrix has founded first The Heath Nursery School for children aged 2-5, in Hampstead, and then Fortis Green School for children aged 4-11. It was a co-operative non-profit-making co-educational school owned and democratically controlled by a society of parents, teachers and educationalists. The site was demolished and redeveloped in the 1960s. The School became a Nursery School only, as it is today
Clissold Close. This development by architect Lee Miles for elderly people replaced Clissold Cottages in 1978
Woodside Cottages. An alley beside Denmark Terrace leads to them
6 Denmark Terrace. Home of the Davis brothers who founded The Kinks.
98 Alexandra public house. This is now closed and converted to housing. If now has a now has a 1930s roadhouse style exterior. The pub itself was a conversion of two cottages of the 1860s.
Fortis Green Brewery. This was here 1843 -1902. Charles Green was the brewer and then Susan Green & Son 1859 – 1884. It was hen managed by Norman & Co. from 1888 until 1901. It was taken over by Ind Coope & Co., whose district office was next door. In 1910 it became H. W. Wilson's Fortis Green brewery stores.
105 The Clissold Arms. This 19th building, remains on the site of the Fortis Green Brewery. The pub is where the Kinks first played.
115 Muswell Hill Police Station. Built in 1904 with stabling for six horses. It was designed by J. D. Butler. The site and other buildings alongside were from 1845 to 1902 the Fortis Green Brewery.
This is the Great North Road which was the main highway between London and Scotland used as a coaching route for mail coaches between London, York and Scotland. Land to the south was owned by the Bishop of London and from 1350 he allowed travellers to go through his Hornsey Park and this route became the Great North Road. Where the road emerged into what became Finchley Common a small settlement grew up - and this became East Finchley
226 East Finchley Library. This was built in 1938 to a design by Percival T. Harrison, the Borough of Finchley architect and engineer, assisted by C.M. Bond. It has the arms of the old Borough of Finchley over the front door and a descriptive blue plaque about the opening. Upstairs it has an Assembly room with a stage and the library itself is reached through a circular inner hall. : Many of the original fittings survive, some using Indian Silver Greywood. The stairs have scrolled metal bannisters to match the balconies and there are the original wood counters and bookshelves.
197 East Finchley Wesleyan Methodist Church. The Methodist Society here was set up u a John Freeman with a number of sires before 1897 when this church was built by Elijah Hoole. A hall and school rooms were added in 1908. A Sisterhood was formed in 1906. In 1940 the building was damaged by a land mine damaged the roof, windows and organ. The church joined with the Primitive Methodist Church which had been bombed and in 1953 took in members of the King Street Chapel. The church was a founding member of the Finchley Council of Churches. The building has been adapted to a more modern flexible space. It remains a landmark
Church Hall. Built 1908 to the rear.
Hertford Court shops. Until the 1950s the Salvation Army citadel stood on this site. This oepend as a hall in 1896 and superseded in 1903 by a barracks, later designated a hall.
170 Athenaeum Cinematograph said to have opened here in 1910
Black Bess Temperance Tavern. Closed about 1964.
151 shown on 1950s maps as a ’Scientific Instrument Works’.
East Finchley Congregational chapel originated with meetings of Independents in various buildings from 1804. They built a chapel 1830 and enlarged it in 1846. The building was damaged by fire in 1875 and subsequently restored as a lecture hall and Sunday school while a new chapel was built on a different site in 1878. The old chapel was sold n in 1895.
St Mary’s. Roman Catholic Church. This opened in 1898, when the old congregational building on the corner of the High Road and Chapel Street was sold. In 1940 the building was badly damaged in an air raid ns I was never reopened. St.Mary’s reopened on a different site.
142 Primitive Methodist Chapel. This was moved here in 1905, and closed between 1939 and 1949. It is s brick chapel with a vestry, cloak room and kitchenette and with a brick Church Hall to the rear built in 1936. The church was damaged in bombing and the congregation combined with the Wesleyan Methodists to the north. It has since been used for young people’s activities
142 Finchley Youth Theatre. In 1947 the church was sold as a youth centre with support from Finchley Borough council and Middlesex County Council. It was opened as a Youth Hall in 1948. In 1952 the Finchley Youth Drama Festival for 1952 was moved to be held here in future. In 1991 following a fire the running of the building was taken over by Barnet Youth Services. Considerable works had taken place to make it suitable as a theatre and studio.
Gibbet. This was used from the 1670s and stood on the junction with Bedford Road. A permanent gibbet was later erected near the intersection with Lincoln Road which remained until 1790.
Stone mason’s yard and field on the junction with East End Road, later the site of the Congregational Church.
71 Congregational Church. This was on the junction with east end road with the congregation moving here from a church to the north, later used by the Roman Catholics. The church was built in 1870’s designed in the Gothic style by J. Tarring & Son with a 130ft spire and clock. A new hall and Sunday school were built behind in 1895 It was demolished in 1960’s and in 1965 a new church on an adjacent site. In 1996 this was sold to an Islamic Muslim organisation and reopened as the North London Jamatkhana with an address in East End Road.
East End road junction. this was sometimes known as Park Gate –although the actual gate was to the south
69 Bald Faced Stag. Built on the Great North Road this was a local refreshment stop for stage coaches. It was in place however before 1730 and was called the Jolly Blacksmith- it was allegedly built by two blacksmiths. Now a large public house built in 1880. Above the roof is a stag on a plinth
52 Phoenix Cinema. This was intended to be the Premier Electric Theatre in 1910 built by S. Birdwood, but the company went into liquidation and it was opened by Picturedrome Theatres Ltd. A 1910 date is inscribed on a headstone but it is thought to have actually opened in 1911. In 1925 under new owners it was re-named the Coliseum Cinema. Taken over again in 1936 it was re-named Rex Cinema and refurbished by architects Howes & Jackman. The auditorium was reversed and the floor was given a new rake and the side walls decorated by Mollo & Egan. Outside neon letters spelt out ‘REX’. The original 1910 ceiling with its discreetly decorated ribs curving over the single-floor auditorium survives. It continued to have a variety of operators until 1983 when it was scheduled for demolition. Following a community campaign it was taken over by the Phoenix Cinema Trust Ltd. And re-named Phoenix Cinema.
39 Diploma House. This office block fronted the milk depot to the rear and was the head office of Wilts United Dairies. The name may be connected to Diploma Cottage which stood to the rear.
11-59 Hospitality House. Barnet Southgate College. A training and meeting facility for employers, employees, learning providers and students, suppliers and professional bodies of the hospitality and retail industry. Established in 2013 by Hilton Worldwide, People 1st, Compass Group, City & Guilds and McDonalds. The building was provided free by Macdonalds. This was once the Hamburger University where you got a Hamburgerology Degree
11-59 Macdonald’s Head UK office. This is a brown brick horseshoe. Built 1987-92 by Ardin Brookes & Partners
East Finchley station. Opened in 1867 this now lies between Finchley Central and Highgate Stations on the Northern Line. It was originally planned by the Finchley, Edgeware Highgate and London Railway from 1862 and opened in 1867 on their line between Finsbury Park and Mill Hill. I was Opened as ‘East End Finchley’ with two side platforms and originally a single line only but doubled within six months. In 1887 the name was changed to ‘East Finchley’ because of local pressure. More goods roads opened here in 1898 and 1902. In 1939 the Northern Line opened with a new station by Charles Holden and L. H. Bucknell – originally to be part of the never finished line to Elstree. It was built as the terminus with staff offices and two platforms in red brick. The platforms have cantilevered concrete roofs with integrated signs and lights, and a bridge of offices approached by curved glazed staircases. On a parapet outside is a stylized metal statue of an archer by Eric Aumonier, symbolizing the former hunting forest of North Middlesex. In 1996 it was refurbished by Avanti Architects. Jerry Springer, the US chat show host is said to have been in the underground here during the Second World War.
Car park. This is on the site of goods sidings put in in 1879 and 1898. Closed 1964
Carriage sheds for the London and North East Railway were converted to a Northern Line depot and rebuilt again in 1969. There was also a railmens' depot here.
Railway Bridge. This was replaced in 1939.
Toll gate. This was near the White Lion and remained in place until 1901.
Old White Lion. Pub. Once called the Dirt House because refuse carts would stop there to avoid paying to go through the toll gate. As a coaching inn The Manchester Mail changed horses here, having completed its first stage of six miles. The pub was also called the Fleur de Lys and was rebuilt in 1838. The original had casement windows facing south but it the rebuild is in gabled mock Tudor with tall brick chimneys. The name is a reference to the badge of Edward IV
Gate to Bishop's park. One of the gateways through the hedge that surrounded Hornsey Park, created by 1227 by its owner the Bishop of London for hunting purposes. By the 14th century, people were allowed to travel through the park on payment of a toll. This was the West Lodge of Bishop's Lands estate.
The boundary hedge of the bishop's park survived as a field boundary into the 19th continuing northwards and passed to the___14 south of East Finchley station
Pillar-box. This is on the corner of Baronsmere road, it is by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. And their Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works. 1884
12-18 GLH House. This was present in 1841, and in the 1860s it was called Valona House but by the 1880s had been renamed The Shrubbery. In 1953, it was let out as flats, and a Car Hire Service moved to the yard. In 1968, GLH took over the established minicab business, working from Portacabins in the yard until earlier this year, when it took over the house. It is now scheduled for redevelopment/demolition.
Park House. Local government buildings on the site of the original Park House was a villa in extensive grounds. It was demolished in the 1960s. In the 1940s a Spitfire was parked on the lawn which belonged to the Royal Airforce Association, who were in a building to the rear and where two tennis courts had been turned into allotments. Park House is thought to have been built by Neville Smart, probably in the 1820s for himself. It was lived in for many years by doctors. In 1938 Grays Brothers’ Coal Office, based at the station, had an office at the front,
Neurorehabilitation Unit, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. In the 1870s the management committee of the National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic in Queen Square decided to establish a country branch where patients could be sent to convalesce. They bought The Elms, two semi-detached villas in East End Road. The Home opened in 1871. By the mid-1890s a larger site was needed and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners released a 3-acre field here and the new building opened in 1897. A plaque stated that it was for "the benefit of a class of patients inadmissible to any other convalescent home in the kingdom". Designed by R Langton Cole. It had the appearance of an attractive country house with donated by well-wishers. Outside were lawns, flower borders, shrubberies, a fruit and vegetable garden, and specimen trees - also planted to screen the railway. A spring, a source of the River Brent, was landscaped, with ferns, water lilies and carp, and willows. In 1948, it joined the NHS and closed in 1999. The home has been demolished, except for the gatehouse. The site was redeveloped by Octagon and now contains a new gated residential estate and the Institute Arts Centre which is now entered from Bishops Avenue.
Half-timbered lodge for the National Convalescent Hospital.
Housing development on a playing field site alongside the edge of the reservoir
Baptist church. The congregation moved here in 1889 but later it passed to the Salvation Army
Salvation Army. A small yellow- and red-brick hall was still used in 1976. It superseded the larger building in the High Road and is now used as a nursery.
Huntingdon Works. Printers, and other workshops. Mews style buildings at the back of shops.
34 old people’s bungalows built in 1947 by Hornsey Council in conjunction with Hornsey Housing Trust as the first post war municipal scheme.
Mews style workshops behind High Road shops
There is what appears to be a sewer vent pipe at the east end, south side
2 The Martyrs Memorial House. This is the home of a Hungarian baron whose family was killed by the Nazis and is painted black as a public memorial to Archduke Otto Von Habsburg, who he credits with unifying post war Europe. The Archduke was the final heir of a 640 year old dynasty He had a career in elected politics as one of the European Parliament’s longest serving members.
The original centre of East Finchley.
The Hog market was opened by Thomas Odell in 1680 and became the largest pig market in Middlesex. Pigs were fattened on distillery waste before being sold. The market began to decline in the 19th and was held weekly, and then only occasionally. After destruction in Second World War bombing the market was redeveloped rebuilt and the shops closed. No trace of the market remains. The market place itself was to the north of the street and in the square to the west
33 Royal Mail Sorting Office and Post Office. Built in 1901 and designed by Jasper Wager
35 George Inn. As a Truman’s pub built in the 1880s it was demolished in 1999. The pub was however very much older Highwayman and burglar Jack Sheppard was held here following his fourth arrest I 1724.
72 Duke of Cambridge. This pub was closed in 2009 and has now been demolished. In 1865 1866 Peter Coulson leased the old market pig pound and to build Cambridge Cottages and added a pub. Originally it may have been The Blue Lion.
Local authority housing from the 1950s. Foundation stone laid by the Mayor of Finchley in 1959 for the silver jubilee year of the incorporation of the borough. Built on the site of demolished housing.
Fortis Green Reservoir. This was originally planned with an Act of 1897 by the New River Company on their western boundary. Water was to be pumped here from the Staines Resrvoirs via a 42 inch trunk main 17 miles long from Kempton Park. There were also intermediate pumps at Cricklewood. Construction was underway when the Metropolitan Water Board took over in 1904. Diesel engines were installed by the Board. The Diesel engines were removed in 1981. This covered reservoir is grassed over.
Aquarius Archery Club – uses the grassed area of the reservoir.
Summerlee Auxiliary Military Hospital. Summerlee was a large mansion built around 1822 which during the Great War was used as an auxiliary hospital and convalescent home for wounded servicemen. It was connected to the Edmonton Military Hospital and run by the local Voluntary Aid Detachment. By 1917 there were 100 beds. In 1919 the house was loaned to the Great Northern Central Hospital for convalescent patients. The mansion has since been demolished
Ancient path connecting the Bishops Gate with East End Road
Entrance to East Finchley Station. This goes to a passage under the tracks to the booking hall.
14 Letter Box on the pavement outside with a VR cypher. It was saved from replacement in 1985 by spot listing.
All Saints Church. East Finchley. Web site
Barnet Southgate College. Web site
Blake and James. .Northern Wastes
Bobath Centre. Web site
British History Online. Finchley. Web site
British History Online. Hornsey. Web site
British Post Office Architects. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
East Finchley Baptist Church. Web site
East Finchley Methodist Church. Web site
Field. Place Names of London
Great North Road
Hidden London. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Jackson. London’s Local Railways
Live in London. Web site
Locallocalhistory. Web site
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Borough of Haringey. Web site
London Footprints. Web site
London Railway Record.
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Metropolitan Water Board. Fifty Years Service
Mosque Directory. Web site
Pevsner & Cherry. London North
Pub History. Web site
The Archer. Web site
Walford. Village London
Wikipedia. As appropriate
Posted by M at 09:48
Monday, 1 October 2018
Post to the west Denmark Hill
Post to the east Peckham Rye
New housing on the site of St.Francis Hospital
Only the northern end of the road is in this square. It is said to be named after John Ady, who was a legal advisor to Edward Alleyn and who lived on Goose Green.
The road is named after a famous fox hunt. The flats were built by the London County Council in the 1930s on the site of big houses sited in what was then called Glebe Road
Albrighton Road Community Centre. The current building dates from 2011 and is managed by East Dulwich Estate Tenant and Resident Association.
This was previously Avondale Road.
15-17 Unitarian church. The church dated from 1867 when the Revd George Carter held services in a hall in Walworth. An iron chapel was built here in 1875. A new church was built in 1882 plus a school room added a year previously. It had a pipe organ with hand-pumped bellows and an ornate wooden pulpit. The building was completely destroyed in 1941 bombing
Was originally called Victoria Road. The square only covers the southern part f the road. The parade of shops, yuppified beyond belief, now calls itself ‘Bellenden Village’.
Bollards, on the shopping parades are by Anthony Gormley. The Turner Prize winner has a workshop on Bellenden Road.
Church. United Methodist Free Church was opened here. Initially this was an iron church replaced with the brick building in 1885. A school room and lecture room were added a year later. In 1920 it was sold and re-opened as the Hanover Chapel. Hanover Chapel dared back to 1657 with the Meeting House in Meeting House Lane. In 1717 the congregation moved to Rye Lane and to other sites subsequently, becoming a Congregational Church with links to the Royal house of Hanover. In 1979 they moved again and the Bellenden Road building became a Pentecostal Faith Chapel.
210 Flat Time House. John Latham installed a major artwork here The House is now a publicly accessible art and education space and houses the John Latham archive.
212 Scout Hut. As well as use by the 14th Camberwell Scouts the building is in use for a number of dance, martial arts and like activities.
165 Belham Road School. Originally Bellenden Road School, this was later Bellenden Road, Primary School. Built by the London School Board the main façade is by Robson from 1876 and there is a plaque to this effect on the Maxted Road frontage. It has contrasting red and yellow brick and an unusual ventilation tower at roof level2. The rear is an addition of 1895 by Bailey with a three storey hall block end-on to the main block with a plaque to thus effect on the Oglander Road frontage. It became a higher grade school in 1914. It has recently been done up and its name changed. It is operated by an “Educational Trust”
Garage Block – this is at the top of Bromar Road adjacent to No.1. On the road side is a small garden with a seat and sculpted stone.
Named after Edward Copleston Bishop of Llandaff in the early 19th.
St. Saviour. This was built in 1880-1 by Weeks & Hughes paid for by the tea merchant Francis Peek. It suffered in Second World War bombing. IN THR 1970S he church amalgamated with Hanover United Reformed church, and the building was converted into the Coplestone Centre in 1978 by T. F. Ford & Partners. It is now an ecumenical centre joint Anglican and United Reform, with a small church, large hall, and offices and functions as a community centre.
50 Latter-Rain Outpouring Revival. This evangelical church is in Church House. This was built in 1902 as part of St.Saviour’s church opposite. It was sold to help pay the cost of the community centre.
82 Edenberg Pub. This has been closed for a very long time and has since been a Jewish deli, then a pub again and a private drinking club. It is now a private house. The sign on the building reads 'Fdenberg'. It retains some fine green tiling from its time as a pub.
Dog Kennel Hill
Possibly named for the kennels of the Surrey Fox Hounds which were there before the hunt moved to Shirley. The kennels are thought to have been at the bottom of the hill.
Tram tracks. These were laid in 1906 and the number of tracks was later increased to four so that no trams could follow each other on the same line. When the tracks were removed when the trams stopped running in 1951 the granite setts were used to build the central reservation.
Playing Fields, Sainsbury’s etc. On the east side of Dog Kennel Hill is a complex of playing fields, a super store and much else. They are described below under ‘Playing Fields area’,
East Dulwich Grove
Dulwich Grove United Reform Church. In 1875 a meeting discussed a new Congregational Church. Land in East Dulwich Grove was bought and the foundation stone laid in 1878. The church was designed by James Cubit and opened in 1890 but not finished until 1904. In 1940 it was bombed and unusable. Amateur builders worked to repair the damage after the war. It was not until 1966 that the church hall once again became available to the church. From the 1960s the church has been rich in multi-ethnic members. I
Dulwich Grove URC Church Hall. This opened as a lecture hall in 1879. It was requisitioned by the Council in the Second World War and was not released back to the church until 1966.
Dulwich Constitutional Club. The club opened in Lordship Lane in 1886. In 1888 through the generosity of Sir John Blundell Maple, the present premises, Clumber House, East Dulwich Grove were acquired and soon the Small Hall and Concert Hall were erected. The club was originally purely political nature but was soon fitted out with Billiards, Smoking, Reading and Games rooms. The bowling green was opened in 1889.
Dulwich Hospital. In 1871 St Saviour's Union planned to build a new infirmary to relieve overcrowding. They bought a field called Kellods in East Dulwich. St Saviour's Union Infirmary opened in 1887. Its frontage lay along East Dulwich Grove and it was built with a pavilion-plan layout as a central administrative block with two wings. The basement was used for storage of foods, beer and coal with an underground tramway to transport the coal. There were 24 Nightingale ward blocks each having isolation ward, day and staff rooms. Heating was by open fireplaces and hot water pipes and each block was fitted with a telephone. Accommodation for staff was connected to the blocks by iron bridges at second floor level. In 1902 It was renamed the Southwark Union Infirmary. In the Great War the Infirmary was evacuated and patients transferred elsewhere while the Royal Army Medical Corps took over the building and it was renamed the Southwark Military Hospital. The existing staff were kept and. tents were erected in the grounds as sleeping accommodation. Australians, South Africans, Canadians and Americans were admitted. Less than 1% of soldiers admitted died. The Hospital was returned to the Guardians in 1919. The London County council took over in 1931 ad it became a general hospital and renamed the Dulwich Hospital. An Out-Patient Department was opened along with a new operating theatre, pharmacy, and boiler house. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS ad. In 1964 joined the King's College Hospital Group when it became a District Hospital with a centre for renal treatment. In 2005 it closed. The wards and ancillary buildings were demolished, but the French-style chateau main entrance block and the original wrought iron railings have been kept. A new community hospital opened in part of the South Wing site in 2007 while The North Wing has been redeveloped as new housing. A War Memorial erected in front of the Hospital to commemorate the 119 troops who died there has been rededicated although the cross and shaft are lost
East Dulwich Road
Dulwich Baths. The baths opened in 1892, and is London's oldest public baths in continuous operation however there has been redevelopment inside. There are two original entrances on the front separating men and women and a basement once housed a laundry. The main pool is now a gym area but the second pool remains in operation. The baths was designed by Spalding & Cross. The baths were closed in 1914 for Red Cross work in the Great War and Belgian refugees were housed here. I was also used by the 33rd Divisional Artillery and later two brigades of the Territorial Artillery. In 1937 indoor bowling was introduced. In 1938–39 again there was use as a First Aid posts and water in the pool was used by the Fire Brigade. From 1946, mixed bathing was allowed and popular bands playing for dances. In the 1990s the women's slipper baths were removed and later a full renovation plan was agreed and completed in 2011.
St James's Scottish Church. In the 19th century many Scots settled in East Dulwich. In 1881 as devout Presbyterians they worshiped at Norland House opposite Goose Green. In 1883 a temporary corrugated iron church was built nearby. In 1891 St. James's Church with a church hall behind was built. It was damaged by an oil bomb in the Second World War and it was also used by Dulwich Grove Congregational Church when their building was bombed. But the numbers of Scottish people in the area declined and it was sold to the Presbyterian Housing Association in 1972, and St James' Cloister flats were built there in 1976. The car park is on the site of the church hall. There are three commemorative stones in the garden including the original carved version of the Burning Bush, emblem of the Church of Scotland, with Latin inscription, which had been a feature above the memorial window in the church.
Goose Green. Only the western end of the Green is in this square. The old centre of East Dulwich, it is in effect a widening of East Dulwich Road. Once this really was a green on which geese lived although there is no evidence to prove the origin of the name. It was common land once connected to Peckham Rye Common and part of the manor of Camberwell Friern. There was a pound for stray animals and a pond. . It was purchased as an open space in 1868 by Camberwell Vestry in order to stop it being sold for development.
Roundabout. This is at the junction with Grove Vale and Lordship Lane. This was built after the trams had stopped running using the granite setts from the tram tracks. There had been a shelter here and a horse trough. Currently there is a palm tree from Chile planted in the centre of the roundabout and artist designed bollards
Kingfisher mural on the south side wall at the west end
Grove Hill Road
Dog Kennel Hill Primary School
Lettsom Gardens. These are on part of a large, abandoned 19th Victorian garden. They were set up in 1980 after a campaign to stop development here. They are managed by the Lettsom Gardens Association. There are two small areas of secondary woodland, as well as grassland and a children’s play area. The woodland has a wide variety of trees plus a mulberry which is thought to be a relic of the 18th garden of Dr. John Coakley Lettsom. He was a Quaker doctor and financier of botanical expeditions, who cultivated the first seed of several American plants here,
18-22 site for new Grove Vale Library This will include 22 flats and have twice the floor space of the old library.
22-27 Grove Vale Library was opened on 28 October 1950 and has since been refurbished. Originally it was opened by Camberwell Borough Council in a converted shop premises. In 1956 a new junior section opened in a second adjacent shop. It is now about to be replaced.
31 The Cherry Tree Pub. Earlier this was called Ye Olde Cherrie Tree & Railway Hotel. It was another Truman’s pub run as a beer house until 1872. The current building dates from the 1930s. Recently it has also been called The Vale and also the Hamlet Inn.
72 Odeon Cinema. This was originally built to replace the Pavilion Cinema, which had been opened in the Imperial Hall of 1902. The new Pavilion Cinema was opened in 1936 featuring Flanagan & Allen in person. On the front were three wedge shaped fins in black vitolite with ‘Pavilion Cinema’ in red neon. It had a cafe and a car park. It was taken over by Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain in 1937, re-named Odeon and later taken over by the Rank Organisation which closed it in 1972 and sold it to the Divine Light Mission. It became a Palace of Peace Temple to the followers of 15 year old Guju Maharaj-Ji. In 1978, it was bought by the London Clock Company, converted into offices and named London House. They left and it was demolished in April 2001. The site is now housing for key workers run by the Broomleigh Housing Association.
East Dulwich Depot - Grove Vale Depot. This was the Camberwell Council depot opened in 1900 on the site of part of Plaquett Hall Farm, at the back of shops in Grove Vale. There was a small entrance near the bridge but it opened up to a space of the length of Coplestone Road. It was originally a depot for horses and vehicles as well as a base for carpenters, farriers, smith, painters and others. All the corn and fodder for the council's horses was kept there and there were farriers, and a vet. There were also stores for road signs, curb stones, paving slabs, sand, cement, Dust bins, railings, tar and chipping. Later repairs to council vehicles were carried out there. In the early mornings a procession of road sweepers left pushing their double dust bin mounted pushcarts. Road repair gangs left in vehicles loaded with sand plus a steam roller towing a tar boiler with a tall metal chimney smoking from the fire below the boiler and a Caravan that served as a shelter and toilet. When it closed there were plans to build a superstore on the site, but, following protests, the site is now housing.
East Dulwich Station. Built in 1868 this lies between North Dulwich and Nunhead and also Crystal Palace stations on Southern Rail. It was built as part of the expansion of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway. It was originally called Champion Hill station and later renamed East Dulwich. The original station stood about 56m to the south-west of the present building, accessed from Grove Vale by an approach road. His was changed in the 1960s by the 1950s the station had been extended at the rear. The station now fronts onto Grove Vale and by 1916 two shops had been built alongside the station. The station itself is a small single-storey brick building with what appear to be bricked u windows
Built on the site of the Camberwell Council Depot.
28 The Ivanhoe. Closed and converted to housing. The inn sign remains on the first floor above the door. It was also called Hooper’s Bar
Turning off Melbourne Road which was once an entrance to the Dulwich Hospital site
East Dulwich Tavern. This once featured a comedy club
27 The Bishop. This was the Foresters Arms
28 Centre For Wildlife Gardening - London Wildlife Trust nursery on part of the Old council depot. It comprises a wildlife garden, community park, information centre and plant nursery.
3 Camberwell Board of Guardians Boys Home 1901.
17 Camberwell Board of Guardians Boys Home 1901
45 House of Dreams. Home and Exhibit of artist Stephen Wright. Outside is the Yves Klein blue fence and tall, turquoise gate
Entrance to railway coal yard. Now in use for office space and parking
31 In the 1940s a coal merchant called 'Kings' ran a business from here and horses were stabled on site.
The southern end of the road was originally Wildash Street
17 Oglander Tavern. This pub dated from the 1890s but was closed in 2008 and converted to flats. Stables were reached through an arch from the street and there was also an air raid shelter to the rear. There is a raised plaque on the corner gable above the roof which gave the name of the pub.
Mural of Bathers. On the wall of a workshop at the northern end.
77 St.Saviours Vicarage
Playing Fields Area
Freemans Ground. In 891 Thomas Freeman, a local builder from Grove Lane, took over some land at the rear of Champion Hill House with access from Champion Hill and later from Constance Road. He wanted to build a new cricket ground and tennis courts in the area although the site was to become better known for football. In 1892 he built three wood and iron cricket pavilions let to The Champion Hill Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club and later Dulwich Hamlet football club
Champion Hill Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club
Champion Hill Stadium. Dulwich Hamlet Football club was established here on what had been Freeman’s Ground. The club dates back to 1893 when a meeting was held at the Dulwich Hamlet Elementary School. At the start of the 1911-12 season they were told that they would need to move further down the field and so they took on a piece of meadowland at the rear of Cleve Hall and remained there for the next twenty years. In the Great War the site was used by the Camberwell Gun Brigade. In 1931 the club opened the Champion Hill Ground, and a pitch for the reserves on the original Freeman’s Ground site. Known as 'The Hill' it was once one of the largest amateur grounds in England and used for football at the 1948 Summer Olympics. Floodlighting was installed in 1964. The ground has also been used by a number of other football clubs. In the early 1970s it was sold to Office Cleaning Services owned by the Goodliffe family some of whom had played for The Hamlet in the 1930's. By the 1970s the old ground was falling apart and only the centre of the old wooden stand was in use, with a safety certificate for only 300. In the 1980s a supermarket was built on what had been the training pitch and a new stadium was built which opened in 1992. There is currently a tangled saga about rights and ownership of the stadium involving Southwark Council, the club, a development company and many more. It is listed by London Borough of Southwark as an asset of community value.
Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground. This was established in the early 1970's and is a free open access adventure playground for children and young people between the ages of 5-16.
Dog Kennel Hill Wood. This is woodland sandwiched between the flats in Champion Hill and Sainsburys. There is a Friends group
Gaumont Film Company. The company set up an early film ‘studio’ next to Dog Kennel Hill Wood in 1904 – 1912 when it was Freemans Cricket Ground. This was under the management of Alfred Bromhead and here they produced over five hundred short films. The studio was probably little more than a wooden stage and shelter
Sainsburys –superstore on the site of the Kings College Cricket Pitch and the Dulwich Hamlet Training Pitch
Kings College Hospital Medical School sports ground. This was used for cricket and rugby. Dulwich Hamlet had owned the ground which had been their Athletic Ground. They sold it on to Kings College Hospital Medical School. Kings later sold it because of its poor drainage, in return for taking over the Griffin Sportsground in the Village, which belonged to Sainsburys. The Kings sportsground is now part Sainsbury’s car park and part St Francis Park.
St. Francis Park. This was built as planning gain resulting from the sale of the sports grounds to Sainsburys. Opened in 1993 on the site of St Francis Hospital. It includes a dog kennel sculpture and a children’s playground.
Green Dale Playing Fields. This is a large open space which features full-size football pitches, tennis courts and netball courts. It also has an area of unspoilt scrub and grassland. An orchard was once in the northern part of the site and there was a croquet lawn. Before the Great War Dulwich Hamlet Athletic Ground was on the current Astroturf site. Tennis courts were built on the site of the croquet court to the north of the Green Dale site. At that time the site was called Dulwich Grove and Wren Recreational Ground. Currently the site includes what was St Olave's recreation ground.
Built to access the original station and to access the goods and coal yard. The yard is now occupied by commercial units – building supplies merchants in particular.
1-3 It is suggested that these were built by the railway company for station staff and share some stylistic details with the original station. No 1 is said to be the former stationmaster’s house
Mural. Fight Club by Conor Harrington inspired by ‘Massacre of the Innocents’ by Charles Le Brun c.1665. This is at the west end on the wall of a house in East Dulwich Road.
St. Francis Road
Previously Constance Road. This was the access road to St.Francis Hospital.
Constance Road Institution became St.Francis Hospital. This was originally the Constance Road Workhouse built for the Camberwell Board of Guardians and opened in in 1895. It specialised in caring for the mentally ill, the elderly and handicapped, as well as unmarried mothers. In 1930 it came under the control of the London County Council and became a hospital for the chronically sick, and was renamed St Francis Hospital. During the Second World War it was a reception centre for bombed-out families but the children's block was destroyed by bombing. In 1948 it became part of the National Health Service and in 1966 was designated as a teaching unit within Kings College hospital. . It was renamed Dulwich North Hospital. It closed in 1991 and the site is now housing.
Built on the site of Suffolk Nursery, a big market garden
Goose Green Primary School. This school is an ‘academy’ and part of the Communitas ‘Education Trust’. Grove Vale Junior School originally opened in 1900.This is a School Board for London School by Bailey which was unfinished. Described as ‘imposing on a roadside site’. A great deal of terracotta dressings and a single storey block to the playground with round arches at ground floor as part of a covered playground. Assume the name was changed when it was privatised.
Albrighton Community Centre. Web site
Beasley. East Dulwich Through Time
Beasley. Peckham and Nunhead Churches
Beasley. Peckham and Nunhead Through Time
Beasley. The Story of Peckham and Nunhead
Below the River. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Darby. Dulwich Discovered
Davies. The Book of Dulwich
Dog Kennel Hill. Adventure Playground
Dulwich Constitutional Club Web site
Dulwich Hamlet Football Club. Web site
East Dulwich Forum. Web site
East Dulwich Grove URC. Web site
Exploring Southwark. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Green. Around Dulwich.
Heritage Gateway. Web site
Inspiring City. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
London Wildlife Trust. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London Web site
Nature conservation in Southwark
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pub History. Web site
Streets we live in. Web site
The Hamlet Historian. Web site
Victorian Schools in London. Web site
Wikipedia. As appropriate
Workhouses. Web site
Posted by M at 03:14