Monday, 31 October 2011

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook - Mayesbrook Park

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook
The Mayesbrook continues to flow south towards the river Roding.


Post to the north Mayesbrook
Post to the east Becontree

Ben Tillett Close
Named for the union leader who was instrumental in unionising the dock labour force in the late 19th of the late Victorian era. He formed the Tea Operatives and General Labourers' Union which was the largest constituent of what became the Transport and General Workers Union. He was prominent in the 1889 Dock strike. He was a founding member of the Labour Party, an MP and the first general secretary of the T&G.

Bevan Avenue
Named for the Labour politician. As a Member of Parliament he was one of leaders of the left wing. As Minister of Health in the post-war Attlee government, he masterminded the establishment of the National Health Service. (Surprising that in this area it was him and not Ernest Bevin who the road was named after)

Bragg Close
This is on the area of the car park of the Round House and is named after Billy Bragg, local singer and poet who opened the street in 1999 with a tribute to Ben Tillett.

Bromhall Road
Bifrons School was opened here in 1934, echoing an earlier Bifrons school in central Barking which had been associated with the Plymouth Brethren. This was a comprehensuive school which has since closed.

Kier Hardie Way
Named for the Labour politician James Keir Hardie a Scot who also became Member of Parliament for West Ham. Hardie was a founder of the Independent Labour Party as well as the
Labour Party.

Lansbury Avenue
Named for the George Lansbury who as Labour Mayor of Poplar let the campaign for equalisation of rates. He was also MP for Poplar and a leader of the Labour Party.

Margaret Bondfield Avenue
Named for the Labour Member of Parliament and first woman cabinet minister

Mayesbrook Park
The site was given by the London County Council to Barking in 1934 to provide open space for the Becontree area. It was named from the Mayes Brook which flows through it on its western edge
Lakes. Two large lakes dominate the southern half of the Park. They are the former pits from which gravel was extracted for building the Becontree Estate. The northern lake is connected to the Mayes Brook with a channel and spillway, and two lakes are themselves connected by an underground pipe. The north basin is used for boating and there is a small earth banked harbour on the southern shore. Both lakes are used for fishing which has led to the shore of the northern lake become eroded and with few plants – except slender rush the seeds of which thought to arrive on anglers’ boots. There are three small islands with willows and reeds. The banks of the southern lake have a continuous belt of vegetation and there is also submerged vegetation.
Mayes Brook.this is fenced although this is to be changed. It is said that historically divided into two branches here passing off east and west of Upney

Porter’s Road,
East of where it joins Lodge Avenue was once known as Coldharbour – or “Cold Harborough Marsh”
The Roundhouse. An unusual design of pub by Alfred W. Blomfield, 1936. It is circular plan with a T-plan upper storey and, a central square tower. It is a ‘modern’ style building which originally had a large oval lounge, a tearoom and a wing with an indoor bowling green. It has more recently been a music venue and in 1969 was called the "Village Blues Club", become a major rock music venue.

Stafford Close
Named for the Labour Politician Richard Stafford Cripps – member of the Atlee government and much else.

Westrow Drive
Westrow Drive was built as one of the roads of the Leftley Brothers estate
Barking Abbey School. The School was founded in 1922 and was then the first co-educational grammar school in England. In 1970, it merged with Park Modern School to form 'Barking Abbey Comprehensive School. Years 9 to 13 are housed here. In 1997 it was among the first six schools to be awarded Specialist Sports College status and a Sport England Lottery Grant allowed it to build a large Leisure Centre, with full time nursery provision.

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook - Mayesbrook Park

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook
The Mayesbrook continues to flow south towards the River Roding

TQ 466 852

Post to the north Goodmayes Park
Post to the west Longbridge Road Loxford Water
Post to the south Mayesbrook Park


Bradfield Drive
Named after the coastal village in Norfolk. This was part of the Leftley estate but has local authority housing built in the 1950s.

Davington Road
Dorothy Barley Junior and Infants’ School. Opened by Barking Education Committee 1933

Fitzstephens Road
Housing on the site of Sports Ground for Erkenwald Comprehensive School, closed 1990

Goodmayes Lane
Parkside Community Association and Theatre.
Goodmayes Lodge
. Sheltered housing for London Borough of Redbridge.

Hepworth Gardens
Named after an area of Norfolk. This was originally part of the Leftley estate but taken over by Barking Council for social housing.
Hepworth Green – amenity open space
Hepworth House – medium rise tower block, built by the local authority in the 1950s in red brick with a flat roof.

Lodge Avenue
St.Cedd’s church. Church of England.

Longbridge Road
Academy Central. New housing on the site of the old university buildings.
University Of East London, Barking Campus – the name the area was known as from 1992. At the heart of it was the old South East Essex Technical College and school of art built in 1935-6 as an addition to the Becontree estate – but built by Essex County Council who took over the site from the London County Council. Part of the campus was then also a secondary school South East Essex Technical High School. The main building was by John Stuart, the Essex County Architect and it was asymmetrical H-plan brick building, with a cupola and with cast-stone decoration by E. J. & A. T. Bamford. Over the entrance doors were keystones with beasts of the British Empire: springbok, elephant, bear and kangaroo, inside were balconies carved with the architects, artists and engineers of western civilization and on the parapets the trades and industries of the world. During The Second World War it was used by the Army and the Royal Air force. The secondary school moved out in 1960 and following reorganisation of the London Boroughs it was renamed Barking Regional College of Technology in 1965 and taken over by the local authority. In 1969 it became the Barking Campus of the North-East London Polytechnic with input from three London boroughs. In 1988 the Polytechnic of East London became autonomous and took over ownership of the site. In 1992 it became the University of East London who have now sold it to Taylor Wimpey. . The main building is now branded as "Mayesbrook Manor",
Civil Engineering building - this was a three-storey concrete-frame by Harold Connolly, the Essex County Architect, from 1965.
Learning Resource Centre, by Sidney J. Harris, Borough Architect, 1978. With pre-cast panels of exposed aggregate and a lecture theatre block
Student Residences 1992-3 by Team Design and Build.
Robin Hood Pub. a Neo-Tudor pub half-timbered and gabled by T.F. Ingram, built ion 1930 which included a concert hall, winter garden, tearoom and children's playground. Demolished

Markyate Road
Markyate Library. Designed 1938-40 by J C.C. Shaw, Barking Borough Architect. It is on a corner site with an octagonal reading room. second storey added 2002

Marlborough Road
Erkenwald Tuition Centre. Special education centre for non-attenders, plus a home tuition service.

Mayesbrook Park
Laid out by Barking Borough because the London County Council provided very little open space for Becontree Housing Estate. The LCC gave Barking Council the site in 1934. The plans for its layout were however only partially carried out, but there were football, cricket and hockey pitches, a putting green, lawn tennis courts, a boating lake, pavilions, bandstand as well as some formal planting. In the Second World War it was used by the army. There are sports facilities in the northern part, including an Athletic Track.
Mayesbrook – the brook runs through the park and is being reconfigured for public access, wildlife and flood prevention measures.
Manor Farm was alongside the Mayesbrook in the area of Hepworth Gardens which borders the park on the west side. It had previously been known as Jenkins which was one of the oldest manors in Barking and which was a tenement of Barking Abbey. It probably took its name from a man named Jenkyns, who was a vassal of the Abbess. In 1567 it was sold to Henry Fanshawe and it stayed with his family until 1714 when William Humfreys, a Lord Mayor of London bought it and rebuilt the farm house in the Queen Anne style. This was called Barking Manor and was demolished in 1768 and replaced with a farmhouse called Jenkins Farm, am d later called Manor Farm. It was demolished in 1937.

Southwold Drive
Named after the seaside town in Norfolk. This was originally part of the Leftley estate but taken over by Barking Council for social housing.

Westrow Drive
Named after sir Hamilton Westrow Hulse (his wife had been a Ms. Westrow) from whom the Leftley brothers bought this land in 1932 for development. This was part of the estate built by the Leftley brothers in the 1930s and marks its eastern boundary.

Woodbridge Road
Roughly follows the route of what would have been the access road to manor farm

Saturday, 29 October 2011

Thames Tributary Mayes Brook - Goodmayes Park

Thames Tributary Mayes Brook
The Mayes Brook flows south west towards the River Roding.


Post to the south Mayesbrook Park

Post to the west Seven Kings

Post to the north Goodmayes


Bungalow Estate
The Bungalow Estate. This area, with some bungalows with barge boarded gables, covers an area with many Scottish street names developed by Cameron Corbett in the 1900s. There are no garages and, being near Ilford, people park in what were front gardens.

Goodmayes Lane
This ancient road ran from Barking town to Becontree Heath and in the 15th was ‘Goodmaistrete’. Now called Goodmayes Lane, it runs from Longbridge
All Saints Church. Built 1912-13 by P.K. Allen of Tunbridge Wells. It is in brown brick with a little bell tower. Inside is a War Memorial and the organ case said to come from Sandringham with gothic painted decoration on the pipes and flowing ironwork. The timber pulpit came from the earlier church. It was consecrated in 1913, and became a parish in 1914
Hall. This was the original church built in 1909 and it is pebble dashed in and Arts and Crafts style.
Vicarage. Big house with angled bay windows.
Mayespark Primary School. This was built as Mayfield Secondary School.
Oaklea Lodge. Anchor Trust care home
Goodmayes Library
Goodmayes Park. Goodmayes Park was opened in 1905. The original portion was given to the urban district by Corbett, developer of much of the local area. There is a plaque describing how trees were planted by Ilford Men of the Trees to commentate George VI coronation. Lake fed by the Mayesbrook and acts as a balancing pond for the stream. The southern separate section is mainly given over to sports

Stevens Road
Two houses built with bricks from Parsloes Manor by the London County Council
Becontree Primary School
Becontree Children’s Centre
. Built in sustainable timber by Cazenove Architects 2006

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook - Chadwell Heath

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook
The Mayesbrook continues to flow south west, largely unseen


The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Goodmayes Station and through Chadwell Heath Station and onwards.
TQ 47682 87332

Suburban area with acres of largely local authority housing and a shopping centre based around the old main road.  Among the houses are old estates and some industrial sites.


Post to the west Goodmayes
Post to the north Chadwell Heath
Post to the east Whalebone Lane

Back Lane
On line of London-Colchester Roman Road and thus probably the oldest road in the area. It was once called Post Office Lane.
1-2 cottages which are thought to be the oldest surviving houses in the area, built in 1827. A blacksmith lived in one.

Burnside Road
Angle Green. Green built in the middle of the London County Council’s cottage estate

Chadwell Heath
Records of the area show that in the 14th it was called Blackheath – and this continued until around 1600. “Chadwell” is a corruption of ‘cald wielle’ – meaning a cold spring, and not to do with St.Chad. This water is said to have never dried up and to have been good for sore eyes. Chadwell Heath itself was a patch of infertile land - a wild and boggy heath on the fringes of Hainault Forest. In the 19th it is said to have been infested with highwaymen, robbers and poachers. Chadwell Heath was developed as a commuter village along with the railway.

Chapel Lane
Garages on the site of Chadwell Heath Chapel and a school for Plymouth Brethren founded by Francis Glenny, the Barking brewer. This had become a warehouse by the 1960s. The yard is on the site of an old burial ground.

Essex Road
Oasis Church

Freshwater Road
Said to be named after a local headmaster.
Berger Paints. The company dated from the mid 18th and had been concentrated on a site in Homerton. In 1934 they bought 29 acres of in Freshwater Road, to manufacture nitrocellulose systems. In the 1950’s this was expanded to with offices, paint and resin production plants, laboratories and warehouses and straddled the road – and a tunnel under the road connected the two sites. The northern part of the site was closed when the Decorative Division was sold and was demolished in 1988. Following various company mergers the company grew to be one of the biggest paint manufacturers in the world. They were taken over by German interests and then sold to DuPont.
DuPont Building - office block built by Berger. Converted to housing.

High Road
The road is mainly on the line of the Roman London- Colchester Road, and was probably a trackway before that. In the area around the road was narrow and buildings were demolished to allow more traffic through Grove Farm. Trading estate and business park on the farm site – and which has retained the name
Chadwell Primary School
Chadwell Arms
Mecca Bingo. This was built as the Embassy Cinema in 1934. It has a very plain tiled frontage and originally included a tea-room, a ballroom as well as a stage and dressing rooms. From the start it had a Compton 3Manual/8Rank theatre organ the back of which a fan of peacock feathers which lit up. Soon after opening it was taken over and re-named Gaumont Palace Theatre which it remained until 1964 when it became the Odeon as part of the Rank Organisation. It closed in 1966 and was converted into a Bingo Club
The Eve Hart. Wetherspoon’s pub in the old police station. Eve Hart was a local lady who survived the Titanic sinking. It is a brick building with some half timbering designed in 1892 by John Butler.
Coopers Arms. Pub which dates to at least 1830, locally listed building,
Baptist Meeting House. Originated in 1829 and the current church was built in 1905 by Frederick Faunch in red brick. It replaced the chapel in Chadwell Heath Lane.
Chadwell Heath Health Centre. This lunch and leisure centre was the Civic Restaurant during the Second World War
Flats opposite the end of Belfairs Drive replace a terrace of half timbered cottages demolished in 1965.
Chadwell County Junior and Infants Schools. This was opened in 1894 and extended in 1897. It was rebuilt in 1933.
Tudor Parade, built around 1938-39.

Kemp Road
Sports ground – this area was originally the company ground for Berger Paints with pitches and tennis courts. Used for additional factory space from the 1970. The cricket pavilion remains.
Spies Hecker Training Centre was built 1997 on lower left of the above view.
Chadwell Heath Industrial Park – on the site of some of the Berger Factory
East London Community Foundation in LCCM House

Mayfield Road
At the junction with Green Lane the Mayesbrook was known as Heavy Waters

Pedley Road
Mayfield School. Mayfield School was originally a secondary school in Goodmayes Lane opened in 1934 and closed in 1959. This is a new school with the same name following a series of amalgamations and closures.

Station Road
Chadwell Heath Station. This was opened in 1839 by the Eastern Counties Railway and now lies Between Romford and Goodmayes stations. It was built on the site of Wangey House and station buildings were erected in 1864, but were demolished for rebuilding in 1900.. There were only two platforms until 1902. Alongside the station were sidings for the temporary line to the London County Council building sites. Another siding ran to William Boyer's gravel pit.
Signal Box. This came out of use in 1972 and was later demolished.
Wangey House The manor of Wangey spanned the main toad. In the 15th it was part of the Barking Abbey estate and following the dissolution it was held by various lessees and sub lessees. It had an observation platform on the roof. It was partly demolished for the railway in 1836, but some survived until 1936.
Chadwell Heath Farm site. Part of the Wangey estate - later known as Broomfields.
Wangey Hall Farmhouse built before 1777 to the west of Chitty's Lane. Hemmings Bakery opened in 1938 on the site.
A.B. Hemmings had a large bakery building north of the station. They had a chain of 230 shops throughout London and were taken over by Associated British Foods in the 1960s. The bakery was derelict by the 1970s and later demolished for housing.

Sources
Archives of the Chemical Industry.
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Bygone Dagenham and Rainham
Essex Journal, Web site
London Borough of Havering. Web site
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenam
Victoria County History. Essex
Mayfield School. Web site
Nature Conservation in Redbridge

Monday, 24 October 2011

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook - Chadwell Heath

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook
The Mayesbrook picks up small tributaries and flows south, largely hidden and unseen

TQ 47717 88602

Suburban area with a large park, some industry - but sites being turned to housing.


Post to the north Marks Gate
Post to the west Goodmayes Hospital
Post to the south Chadwell Heath

Bishop’s Avenue
St Bede RC church. Built1963 by Purcell & Johnson. A Hexagonal, brick church,
Church hall – was opened as the church in 1935

Chadwell Heath Lane
West view cottages, late 19th
Aenon chapel built in 1860
Grove Primary School
OES House. Office furniture factory

Gresham Drive
Chadwell Heath School – extended into day centre
Chadwell Centre – day centre now closed. It is said the old hospital pumping station was used as a club and presumably this was it

Grove Road
Marjorie Collins Centre. Multiple Sclerosis Society day care centre
New housing on of site of Wiggins Teape factory. some factory buildings remain
New Housing on the site of the Morganite Special Carbons factory. This had originally been the Ship Carbon Company

Japan Road
Infants’ school 1882 enlarged 1897 and 1907. Opened in 1883 as the Chadwell Heath infants’ board school. It became the St. Chad's county infants' school. Closed and went into other use

St. Chad’s Park
Mayes Brook on the northern boundary is culverted.
Incorporates some heathland from Chadwell Heath. It is the oldest park in the Borough and dates from 1831 when the Crown gave 4 acres of heath to the poor for allotments. The rest was enclosed in 1866 and farmland added in 1928. It is Very formal with an avenue of London planes.

SourcesBrennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Bygone Dagenham and Rainham
Essex Journal, Web site
London Borough of Havering. Web site
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenam
Victoria County History. Essex
Nature Conservation in Redbridge


Thames Tributary Mayesbrook - Marks Gate

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook
The Mayesbrook appears to rise in this area



Post to the west Little Heath

Post to the south Chadwell Heath

Bardfield Avenue
Marks Gate Baptist Church

Billet Road
Oaks - A mere handful of trees from Hainault Forest survive in this area and they stand in farmland north of the road
Crooked Billet Pub dates from at least the mid 19th.
Red House farm
The Harrow pub
Hainault House
. Farm buildings with a clock tower. Now a canine hydrotherapy centre
Sheepcotes. This 14th farmhouse was destroyed in Second World War bombing.

Eastern Avenue
159-161 Woodcraft. Art Deco style factory

Lake Road
Padnall Lake. The lake is a flood storage basin and part of the local land-drainage system. As a balancing pond it takes drainage from the A12 and from the Marks Gate Estate.
Orchard - – a remnant from Padnall Hall it has been enhanced as a community orchard.

Padnall Road
This is name for Padnall Gate which was a gate to the forest.
Padnall Corner was wiped out by Eastern Avenue, but it was roughly the site of the bend in the road.
Padnall Hall. Community centre

Rosehatch Avenue
Playing fields

Rose Lane
Rose was probably the name of a medieval family – who had an estate called Roses here in 1456. Previously in 1392 it had belonged to a Richard Rose.
Roselane Gate was a gate into the Hainault Forest. Here, the boundary was marked with hedges and rows of stones and the gate was named after the road. The 'gate', was near the Harrow Public House.
Marks Gate Junior School. Built in 1954 with huge playing fields
Padnalls House. This stood in Rose Lane and was a medieval farm house. Demolished.
Rose Lane Farm. gone
St.Mark’s. Parish church built 1956. This was provided as the district church for the Marks Gate Estate and doubled as a church hall.

Sheepcotes Road
Named after a demolished medieval farmhouse in Billet Road.

Sunday, 23 October 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Jenkins Lane

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows south east and is joined by number of tributary ditches from the west


This marshy area would be rural if it wasn't East Ham going towards the river. As it is its a world of rubbish tips and development sites. Sadly its not nice

Post to the west East Ham
Post to the east River Road
Post to the south Beckton

Claps Gate Lane
This is now Eric Clarke Lane

Jenkins Lane
East London Refuse Transfer Station. This was built in 1978 by the General Works Department of the GLC Department of Architecture and was a landmark building. It has since been demolished and the station reconfigured.
Beckton Main Drainage site .This square does not cover the original site of Beckton sewage works but a more recent extension to it. The sewage from some 2 million Londoners is treated her as well as surface water from rainfall .Sewage comes to Beckton by gravity through five diameter sewers. Grit and sand is removed by settlement and then floating solids are removed. More solids are removed in settlement tanks and the resulting sludge is treated. The liquid is then mixed with activated sludge and aerated using fine bubbles of filtered air. Beckton is Thames Water's largest Sewage Treatment Works.
Nature site. On the bank of the River Roding is an area of landfill, which still retains some wetland habitat close to the large sewage treatment plant. Subject to tidal influences, there are still reed beds along the creek
Jenkins Farm, later called Manor Farm, comprised 345 acres in 1846 and was tenanted by James Biggs. It was broken up for building in 1937.
Norwegian Playing Fields. Used by Powerleague as a 5-a-side football centre, This was previously a community allotment and farm site incorporating homes for ancient horses.

Newham Way, A13

River Roding
Cuckolds Haven Nature reserve area
Handtrough Creek – one of the tributaries feeding into the Roding from the west

Spur Road
Showcase cinemas and a bowling alley. All the usual fast food tat.

Sources
GLIAS Newsletter
London Borough of Newham. Web site
Nature conservation in Newham
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
Thames Water. Web site

Thursday, 20 October 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - East Ham

Thames Tributary River Roding
A number of marshland waterways from westwards to the River Roding


Post to the north East Ham
Post to the east Jenkins Lane
Post to the south Beckton.



Claps Gate Lane
This lane was an eastbound lane leaving Gooseleys Lane. It is now a road which is part of a trading estate, known as Beckton Triangle, running westwards from Royal Docks Road. It contains the usual range of big shed stores, burger bars, etc.
2 Newham Riding School. This was established in 1971 under the Silvertown Flyover. In 1996 The London Docklands Development Corporation donated a site here and the centre was set up with donations and fund raising efforts. A new building was finished in 2004. The first part of the site was an indoor arena and barn for twenty horses. Designed 1994-5 by Aukett Associates

Eastbury Road
Road within a trading estate – but which predates ‘regeneration’ by London Docklands Development Corporation.
Beckton Activities Centre. – centre with things for young people to do.
Explorer Scout Hut. This was an independent scout group closed down in 2001 following a scandal.

Eric Clarke Lane
A renaming of the portion of Claps Gate Lane which lies to the east of Royal Docks road. Narrow and heavily fenced.

Folkestone Road
Hospital for Infectious Diseases. This is shown on the 1894 map and may be the original site for East Ham Isolation Hospital before rebuilding in 1907. Folkestone Road did not exist then.

Gooseley Lane
The southern portion Survives as a footpath in the Claps Gate Lane shopping area. The northern portion is now a suburban street.

Newham Way
Part of the A13 and duel carriage way since the 1960s.
Interchange with north circular. This is a major interchange
Liftplatz bus shelter by Colin Rose and Katharine Hibber. This is on the eastbound sliproad to the North Circular Road
Beckton Alps. A pile of waste materials from the purification of gas, plus spoil from the basement of the new British Library were used to create the conical hill sometimes used as a ski-slope. A locomotive found there is now at Bressingham. It is grassed plus strawberry clover.

Northern Outfall Sewer
Carrying London’s Sewage from intercepting sewers flowing as one from Hackney Wick. The Greenway path runs on the top.

Royal Docks Road
Built for the London Docklands Development Corporation from 1986,

St.Albans Avenue
Gooseley’s playing fields

Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - East Ham and Barking

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding continues to flow south east
A tributary rises in the southern area of Langdon School Grounds and flows south east towards the Roding

Boundary area along the Roding with many industries


Post to the north Barking
Post to the south East Ham


Abbey Road
Previous name of some of it was Fisher Street. In 1909-10 it was built by the council to London Road across the former abbey lands. Land to the west beside the Roding was sold for industrial development. During this work the main sewer of the abbey was found.
Trading estate down the west side.
Vulcan Globe Match Factory in buildings down the west side of the road. They were a Swedish company, Jonkoping and Vulcan, looking to expand into more markets. When the Bryant and May factory opened at Bow the works was transferred to Masters and became Masters Match Factory which remained there until the 1960s.
Delaney Galley. This Cricklewood based motor accessories firm, built a factory here purely to make heaters for Fords in 1962. It became known as Delanair
Saxon waterworks were discovered West of the road on the marshland together with wells were discovered which were constructed to direct water to the Abbey Mill.

Back River
This stream ran parallel to the Roding for a short distance. The Newham - Barking boundary goes along it rather than the Roding which means that it may be the original river and the Roding itself as moved eastwards.. It may be the river ‘Hile’ mentioned in 958. It’s dry bed now runs through playing fields by migrant birds stop here to feed.
Hamthrough Bridge was a footbridge which went over the Back River at Wallend, in the Middle Ages ad was for a way for horses and carts. It was subsequently rebuilt. It was later called 'Handtroft' Bridge and demolished when bridges were built for the new main road.
Barking Road bridge When the New Road was three new brick bridges were built – the one on the Back River was known as West Bridge, or Back River Bridge. The parapets of Back River Bridge could still be seen in 1964
Wellington Mill. This was just south of the Barking Road. It was built in 1815 which accounts for the name. It was a weather-boarded smock mill, with an early-19th brick house beside it. It was converted it to electric power in the early 20th and demolished in 1926

Barking
Barking became a port because of its position beside a 'pool' where the River Roding joins an inlet of the Thames. There references to trade in the 13th. Serious flooding in the 14th and 15th affected the port adversely. Fishing was the main trade here with a fleet operating out of the creek. There was also a barge trade for produce from Essex and timber for naval shipbuilding. In the early 19th shipbuilding and its ancillary industries did well sail-makers, rope -makers, pump and block-makers, and -chandlers. This ended when the fishing fleet went north and by the turn of the 20th chemical manufacture was predominant.

Barking Road
Once called Watchhouse Lane or Wall End Lane.
East Ham's first Workhouse was established here in 1804 when The Vestry leased a small farm house. The building remained in use until about 1827 built a new workhouse elsewhere
Car Hire Barking. In the 1920s this was 446 Barking Road, Wall End Garage, and a depot for two private buses. In 1972 it was the Chevron garage
539 Dukes Head. At the old boundary for East Ham Manor.15th pub rebuilt in 19th.
Wallend – name of a hamlet in the area around the Duke’s Head
Barking Road Recreation ground, Opened 1908 by the Duchess of Argyle. It was one of the parks promoted by Lord Bethell via a public subscription. It was laid out under the Unemployed Workmen's Act. At the Barking Road gate is a plaque to Albert Monk saying the gates were erected 'as a tribute to his memory and his life-long service to the youth of the Borough in 1955.
478 Joyce Carpenter Clinic. NHS
Duke's Court. Council flats from the 1940s by Howes & Jackman. In the 1990s they were enhanced with decorative metal panels.

Darwell Close
Was originally called Bonny Downs Road – supposed to be a contraction of a local manorial name.
Bonny Downs Baptist Church. Bonny Downs Mission – In 1897 Charles Howe came from East Ham Baptist Church and held open air services. In 1900 they moved to a room in a shop opposite the present Church. The Church was built following fundraising in 1930.

Folkestone Road
Newham Central Depot. The Depot is used by Waste Collection and Fleet Maintenance plus some transport services and storage
Sewage Pumping Station opened in 1963 to serve part of East Ham. This was extended in 1977 to pump what had formerly been treated at the Redbridge Works. The capacity was eleven electrically driven pumps.

Fresh Wharf Road
Large private area of a trading estate and light industry, In the 19 the area was developed for boat building along with the fish trade. A slipway was built next to Six Gates Sluice where boats were brought ashore for repair. From the late 19th it was used to tip construction and municipal waste and wharf walls were built. The area was mainly used for timber and petroleum storage. Up until the 1950s, as well as for a barge tip for municipal waste – but this ended when the A13 bridge was built. Fresh Wharf is still owned by the Hewett family who made their fortune from fishing in the 19th
Site of a 19th iron foundry

Hawkins River
A stream or mill leat running parallel to the Roding and west of Abbey Marsh.

Highbridge Road
Great Mill. A large water-mill belonged Barking Abbey in the 15th. Was probably where the Roding becomes Barking Creek – in effect the site of the 17th Barking mill
Barking mill. This was a manorial mill and by the mid 19th it was leased Ridley & Sons, who operated it, partly by steam, until 1890, afterwards using it as an office. It was on the north side of the road. In 1832 there was a weather-boarded warehouse beside it which was replaced in. 1870 by a brick building. The mill was demolished in 1922, together with an early-18th mill-house. In 1964 the warehouse, then a plastics factory, still stood.

Jenkins Lane

Langdon Crescent
Langdon School. Designed 1946, but only built in 1953-64, by J.V.K.Taylor, of East Ham's engineer's department, the first to be built as part of the borough's post-war education plan. Low buildings spread over former marshland by the river

Matthews Avenue
Oliver Thomas Nursery school

Napier Road,
Napier Road School. Napier Road board school was opened in 1902 and from 1927 took senior boys, junior boys, and infants. From 1953 it took only juniors and infants and it is now Nelson junior school
Flanders Field Community Centre
Flanders Playing fields with Bobby Moore Sports Pavilion
65 East London Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

Roding
The Roding is subject to violent flows after heavy rain and flood walls have been built on both sides. South of the road a vertical concrete wall lines the eastern side of the Roding but a sloping bank of stone slabs borders the water. Further south again steel piling has been used to contain the watercourse,
Mill Pool – now subject to public art. The Pool is taken as the limit of the Tidal Thames although, a tidal influence is felt further upstream. It is here that the Roding becomes Barking Creek over a stone weir which is the only access point to the Creek.
Six Gates sluice

Town Wharf.
The Abbess had a wharf and two flights of stairs here which in . 1609 were leased to the City and the Barking Manor. In 1737 the Town Wharf was repaired and the Roding Navigation Act allowed the river to be made navigable from Barking Mill to Ilford Bridge. The ownership of the navigation was bought in 1832 by the Lord of the manor of Barking. Waterside industry is being gradually superseded by housing and commercial big she development,
Three inscribed granite plinths by Harry Gray allude to Barking's past.


Sources
Bonny Downs Baptist Church. Web site
Curtis. Barking.  A History
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site
London Borough of Newham. Web site
Victoria History of Essex

Monday, 17 October 2011

Thames Tributary River Roding - Barking/Newham Border

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows south and is joined by Loxford Water from the east
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway runs southeastwards from Woodgrange Park Station

This is where the Roding divides East Ham and Barking. On either side of the river are some of the respective boroughs less attractive public utilities. Now the North Circular Road follows the river north:south between the two boroughs. On the East Ham bank is a rail depot near the spot where the London Underground District Line meets the main line Gospel Oak to Barking Railway.

Post to the east Central Barking
Post to the north Little Ilford
Post to the south East Ham and Barking


Barrington Road
Bridge to Stevenage road – called ‘Arches’ or ‘Seven Arches’ bridge
Circular structure is a ventilation shaft for the High Speed Line. Was used as an access shaft during building.

Burges Road
On the eastern fringe of East Ham, developed in the 1890s. The Burges estate began with Ynyr Burges, Paymaster of the East India Company, between 1762 and 1792 and his successors. In particular Col. Ynyr Henry Burges had begun to build it up in 1887 and it was completed by his grandson, Major Ynyr A. Burges, during the 1920s.
St.Paul's Church built 1933, by Charles Spooner, with timber framing and brown brick,
Church hall – this is the former mission church

Cowbridge Lane
Housing around the lane, and to the north and west. It is on higher land about the river and there is a view over the reed beds
Abbey Community Centre

Hawkins River

A stream or mill leat running parallel to the Roding and west of Abbey Marsh. It had disappeared in the 19th.
When the New Road was built a brick bridge was constructed to caked East Bridge or Hawkins River Bridge.

Hertford Road
The Back River leaves the River Roding in this area to flow south.
Area of trading estates and industrial units
Pacific House, Pacific Wharf

London Road
London Road - improved in 1810 for better access between the West India Docks and Tilbury. Historically, it halted at Barking's, North Street, but was extended after 1937 to connect with Ripple Road. Once called New Road.
Bridge House. Barking youth and social service departments plus Burger King
Tesco on the site of what was Swedish Wharf
Bridge over the Roding. This is an ancient crossing, the current bridge dates from 1904. by P.J.I    Sheldon for Essex County Council with a  ast-iron balustrade of rosette-centred quatrefoils.
Light Lady of Barking. Sculpture on the roundabout by Dutch artist Joost Van Santen. It is made of white coated steel and the silhouette changes as you move around it. It is topped with a blue acrylic disc with a light to create an ellipse against the sky.  Previously this was an area of rough grassland
Abbey playing field

Millais Avenue
Thames Water Little Ilford Pumping Station

North Street
Bricks. There were brickfields in this area in the 17th
Abbey Children’s Centre. Timber framed building by Cazenove architects. Opened 2006
Northbury Junior and Infant Schools. Three decker Board School built 1897 by C.J. Dawson. 21st extensions and detailed in red and yellow brick
Gurdwara Singh Sabra. Friends meeting house converted to a Sikh temple in the 1970s. This was the replacement meeting house building for the demolished mansion. Built 1908 in Dutch 17th style in brick now painted over
Quaker Burial Ground. Established in 1672. Elizabeth Fry buried here. It is now cleared and landscaped. A Friends Meeting was set up in Barking in 1658 and they bought this land in 1673. Later they bought an adjacent mansion called Tate’s Place. This was used as a meeting house and partially rebuilt several times. For sixty years in the 19th it was unused and opened again in 1891 and found to be beyond repair in 1908. It was demolished and replaced

North Circular Road

Northern Relief Road
Built to take the A124 round the north of Barking town and built since the 1980s.
Pumping station. . Erected in 1897 by South Essex Waterworks Company. Water pumping station. In grounds by the river north of the London Road Bridge. Mature trees and planted shrubs grow along the riverbank and the tower is covered in Virginia creeper.
House in the grounds.

Roding
Flood alleviation lagoons with reed beds. The southern lagoon dates from the late 1980s. There is a broad flood berm between the channel and the flood bank north of London Road.

Riverside walk and public open space. Beside the river is a row of hybrid black poplars
Southend Road
North Thames Gas Sports Ground
Chocolate City Night Club -and social club.
East Ham Gas Holder Station. 19th Holder built by Barking Gas Company

Stevenage Road
Rail depot. This was the site of the District Line Carriage Shed which closed when the Depot at Upminster opened. Now C2C Depot built when the Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness line was electrified. Includes a water tower

Uphall road
Housing on the site of the Howard chemical works. Roads with pretty flower names.

Sources
British History OnLine. Barking. Web site
London Wildlife. Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham .
Port of  London Authority  Magazine
Stewart. Gas Works in the North Thames Area



Sunday, 16 October 2011

Thames Tributary Loxford Water - Central Barking

Thames Tributary Loxford Water
Loxford Water continues to flow south west towards the River Roding
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway arrives in Barking


Barking Town Centre - or rather the northern part of the centre, missing the town hall.  Somewhere here are the remains of a small Essex country town built around and to serve the all powerful abbey. 


Post to the north Loxford
Post to the west Barking/Newham borders

Bamford Road
Cinema DeLuxe. Opened in 1914 and closed in 1925. The building then became a second hand furniture store and then a sausage factory. This was demolished and Council almshouses built which have also now been demolished for the ring road.

Barking
Barking was a suburb in the 1950s but in 1900 was a fishing village. It is separated from Dagenham by the River Rom and until 1858 included Ilford. The centre still retains a medieval street pattern and the town grew up around the London Road east of the Roding crossing.

Barking Park
Opened in 1898 and laid out to designs by the Council Architects, C.J. & C.F. Dawson.
Lake, created by damming Loxford Water, runs along the north side of the park.
Indoor bowls centre
War memorial for Barking men who fell in two world wars. Every Remembrance Day there is a commemorative ceremony. It is in ornamental gardens and an arboretum installed in 1922. It is in Portland stone, curved and stepped with polished granite name panels.
Horse Chestnut Avenue planted by Prince George on his visit to the park in the mid 1930s.
Miniature railway which opened in the 1950s. It had three coaches hauled and a steam locomotive named "The Empress" later replaced by a diesel called ‘Little Nan’. The railway ran from the entrance in Longbridge Road to a turntable at the lake. In 2005 it was closed but has been reopened. About halfway along the line, trains went through a gated level crossing.

Church Road
1 Britannia pub. Built in 1898 by F.W.Ashton with half-timbering, turrets and pargetting. Owned by Youngs it closed when they sold off pubs in 2009 and was bought by a local hotel. It is now the “Royal Brits Hall” and sold as a ‘wedding venue’.
New housing by Jestico & Whiles for the East Thames Group.
Model Cottages. Demolished in 1901 as unfit.

East Street
The western end of the street was once known as Bull Street
Magistrates Court. This was built as Public Offices and a Free Library. 1893-4 by C.J. Dawson, Surveyor to Barking Local Board. It is a two storey brick building with a clock turret. It became a magistrates' court in 1960, after a new town hall was built and it was sold to Essex County Council. The courthouse was moved from Broadway where a royal coat of arms, dated 1588, hung. A tower has been built at the back and reliefs of Barking Abbey and a medieval fishing smack by A. John Piwie removed.
Barking Market. The town has an ancient market right dating from 1175 but it declined in the 18th. The current market dates from 1991
1-11 Edwardian terrace of shops
2a-4a Burtons shop. Built 1931 in Art deco style with elephant head capitals. Now in other use with flats above shops13-27 Edwardian terrace of shops
34 Shop built for Marks and Spencer but now in other use.  designed by Lutyens (not the famous one, his son)
41 MacDonald’s Late Victorian/Edwardian building with beehive motif on the pediment
33-35 Fawley House. Built 1822-1860 and the oldest secular building in Barking Town Centre. This was owned by the  Hewlett family, prominent Barking fishermen and owners of the Short Blue Fleet. Ground floor converted into two shops
54-66 terrace of Edwardian shops
Bull pub dated to early 15th, the current building is 1925. Outside is a sculpture of a bull.  There are a number of outhouses associated with it.
Central Hall Mission Methodist church. Built in 1928 with money from J.Arthur Rank. Destroyed by enemy action in 1945 and demolished. It had replaced an earlier Methodist chapel on the other side of the road. Shops on the site – although a new church was built to the rear.
Weslyan chapel which was a wooden building from 1797 and a Sunday school from 1825. In 1869 a new chapel was built. Demolished when Central Hall was built and the Capitol cinema built on the site.
Capitol Cinema opened 1929 and became an ABC in 1930. It had a Standaart organ, its own orchestra and a cafe. It closed in 1959 and demolished. The site became an extension to Marks and Spencer and has since closedWesleyan school opened in 1845. Closed around 1899
Paddocks 18th house which stood until 1910 at the junction with Ripple Road.
Bath House. A building in a complex of new residential and commercial units by builders, Redrow Regeneration for the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Built in the site of the public baths
Barking Apprentice, hospitality and catering social enterprise
Public baths opened in 1899. Included Turkish baths and winter dinner dances. It closed in 1986 and was demolished
House of Correction. Opened in 1609. In 1790 it consisted of a 'fore-gaol' for men and a 'back-gaol' for women. There were no chimneys but there were offensive sewers. There had been only one prisoner in 1776
Rope Works Building yellow and green facade built over the library. The names refer to a local rope works – Cutmore and Shrier - on whose site it is built
Lemonade Building – R Whites Soft Drinks Factory was to the south of here. This is another block of flats.
Piano Factory. New flats on the site of what is said to be a piano factory

Fanshawe Avenue
Fanshawe was the name of a local landowning family. The roads in this area were known as Barking New Town in the late 19th

Ilford Lane
Loxford Bridge. The bridge crosses Loxford Water and dates from the mid 15th.when it was subject of dispute between the vestry and the manor.
Al Madina Mosque

Linton Road
This was once called Station Road
1 Maritime House. Slab of aggregate facing;
15 Roycraft House
2 Barking Tap and Buzz previously called the Brewery Tap. Dates from 1894. Originally formed part of Barking Brewery
26 Badawa House. Youth and childcare centre
41 Presbytery and the former school of 1862, still with its bell.
Almshouses in a 2-storied block.
Baptist Tabernacle. Strict Baptist Association bought land in Linton Road and in 1878 a day school was opened. Then in 1893, the Queen's Road Baptists built the Tabernacle and the old chapel was sold to the Peculiar People in due course. The Tabernacle is built in brick by Holliday and Greenwood, builders and later remodelled including two halls at the rear. On pediment is painted '18 BAPTIST TABERNACLE 93'. There are four foundation stones, all 1893 and art-nouveau iron gates and railings at the front. Inside is a large space with three galleries, a big open ceiling with big timber trussed on iron columns. There is balcony for preaching and below a sunken baptistery with stone steps. There are Art-Nouveau-style stained glass windows and memorial plaques. The first organ, installed in 1911, was built in 1825 for the Trinity Chapel, Mare Street, Hackney. In 1914 an institute was erected by church members using second-hand bricks.
Barking Brewery. It belonged to the Glenny family until 1930 when it was sold to Taylor Walker. It had been started in 1864 to provide beer to farmers and beginning in a farm shed.
Crown House, angular tower in reinforced concrete.
St Mary and Ethelburga Roman Catholic church. A church, dedicated to St. Ethelburga, was opened in 1858 at the back of the Red Lion. The present church was built in 1869 by John Newton of Buries, Newton & Partners.
The Lintons estate. Local authority housing including a 16 -storey slab of 1960-3 by M. Maybury, Borough Architect. The estate was an early example of using precast factory-made components by Concrete Southern Ltd. Demolished

London Road
Extended in 1937 leading to much demolition
Methodist Church. 1958-9 by George Baines. & Syborn, replacing the Central Hall, in East Street, which was bombed in 1945 and built on the back of that site
White Horse Pub

Longbridge Road
Ancient track way 1609 called Smallwood Lane
Lodge at Barking Park entrance. Typical arts and crafts park lodge house in Brick in 1912
Dome-capped gate piers to the park
22-30 Odeon Flats on the site of the Odeon Cinema. It opened as The Rio Cinema in 1935 operated by Kessex Cinemas and designed by George Coles. Facilities included a cafe and a beauty parlour. It had a stage and dressing rooms. It was taken over in 1936 by GFC (Eastern Cinemas) and then by Odeon Theatres Ltd in 1943 and re-named Odeon. In 1974 it became a three screen cinema and six screens in 1990. It closed in 1998 and was demolished in 2001.
Spotted Dog Pub. Built in 1870 .and rebuilt later. It is in red brick with and half-timbered gables.
15 buildings associated with the pub since 1870
St Thomas More Roman Catholic church built in 1935 in Red brick
Barking Arms Pub. Also called the Top Up Bar.  This was previously Lloyds Bank
The Barking Dog. Wetherspoons pub. They claim the name is to do with the Barking fishing industry and the Dogger Bank
76 Heathway House.

North Street
Jolly Fisherman pub. Built 1906 on the site of an earlier building.
66-68 Red Lion public house. Built in 1899 but mentioned in 1609. Red brick first floor. Castellated top. Now flats
10 Beehive crest of Stratford Cooperative Society, of which it was formerly a branch. Dated 1900.
82-84 Plaque inscribed "St John’s Market 1894".
15-19 St Margaret’s Primary School. The school was founded in 1649 and the present building was opened in 1968. It became a two form entry school in 1994
Edward VIII Pillar box.

Park Avenue
Entrance to the park. When trains were not running on the miniature railway the level crossing gave access to the park but this entrance is now closed.

Ripple Road
Junction with East Street in the pedestrianised shopping area
Bandstand at the crossroads.
2 Former British Gas building built for North Thames Gas. Now a sports shop. Edwardian three storey red brick building. Winged cherubs outside.
6 Police Station. Built 1910 by John Dixon Butler in red brick and Portland stone. Entrance with original lamp and railings.
Blake's ironmongers and furnishers Was big corner block at the crossing an Edwardian Baroque landmark, grandiose clock tower was destroyed by bombing. 
Vicarage Field Shopping Centre. Built 1990 in pretend Victorian. This is on the site of a football ground and links through to Station Parade.

Station Parade
Barking Station. Opened 1854. It stands on a number of lines – it is between Upney and East Ham stations on the District Line, between Upminster and West Ham stations on the main line railway, it is the Terminus of the Silverlink line from Woodgrange Park station, and the Terminus of the Hammersmith and City Line from East Ham station. It was originally opened by the London Tilbury and Southend Railway and was a terminus in a country town. By 1856 trains were running to Tilbury coming from Bishopsgate and Fenchurch Street, later they went on to Pitsea and Southend. In 1894 trains could go from St.Pancras to Southend via Barking and in 1902 the District Line reached the town. The station was re built in the 1950s by John Ward of British Railways Eastern Region, and is said to be ‘an echo of the entrance to Rome station’. It has pre-cast concrete beams which form an undulating roof. The booking hall is on a bridge over the tracks.
2 Barclays Bank – a prominent corner building.
4- 8 Built early 1902. Three storey terrace.

Tanner Street
Was previously called Loxford Street. It refects tanning as a local indusrry carried on here since the middle ages - there is a reference to Odo the tanner 1232
Vicarage Drive
Offices in the old Vicarage, built in 1794 with gardens which once fronted Ripple Road. It was built with a legacy from Dr Ralph Freeman, Fellow of All Souls College and replaced an earlier house, owned by Jeremy Bentham, father of the philosopher who stayed there frequently.
Clinic NHS  built in the 1930s

Wakering Road
Wigham House. Built by the Owen Luder Partnership in 1973-5
Phoenix House. Job Centre built in the late 1980s

William Street
School – Catholic School now not used.

Sources
Cinema Treasures, Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
Field. London Place Names
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site
London Wildlife. Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham .
Nairn. Modern Buildings
Victoria County History. Barking.,
Walford . Village London.

Saturday, 15 October 2011

Thames Tributary Loxford Water - Loxford

Thames Tributary Loxford Water

Loxford Water flows south west towards the River Roding

Post to the east Longbridge Road
Post to the west Little Ilford
Post to the south Central Barking
Post to the north Ilford

Barking Park
The park was opened in 1898 and contains many mature trees which include beech, ash, holly and yew, plane, lime, poplar, sycamore and false acacia. Spotted flycatchers breed here and nest in holes in trees. The Park had a bandstand
The longstanding park cafe was demolished and a roller-skating park built on the site.
Lake. The lake was formed by damming Loxford water and there are three small islands where ducks, moorhens and coots nest. It is used for boating starting with rowing boats and later motor boats and a paddle steamer called "Phoenix II" which continued to until 1967. The south bank has a vertical concrete wall, with a broad walkway but the north bank is natural in places, with willows, and nettles reaching the water edge. There are sticklebacks along with frogs and toads.
Barking Park swimming pool. Thus opened in the 1930s consisting of a large pool, sun terrace and a pair of fountains, with cubicles and service buildings. Designed by Mr R A Lay, Council Surveyor & Engineer. It closed in the 1980s but work is ongoing to reopen it as an enclosed wet play area

Eton Road
Muslim Ilford Community Centre in the gym of what was Loxford County Secondary School.
Loxford Council School was originally opened by the school board, in 1904. In 1931 it became a Central School for boys and later a mixed comprehensive.

Ilford Lane
St Mary & St Erconwald Roman Catholic church built in 1971-2 by Buries, Newton & Partners. A low, red brick, industrial-looking building with large brick cross built into the wall facing main road. It had originally opened in 1953 in an iron building previously used as the Emmanuel Congregational church.

Loxford
The name is first recorded 1319 and probably means the 'ford of a man called Locc'. It was a medieval manor, belonging to Barking Abbey and which eventually passed to Smart Lethieullier In the 18th and farmed. The modern houses laid out in a grid pattern on the site is the Loxford Hall Estate developed from 1897 by Sir Peter Griggs, a local contractor.
Loxford Hall was a mediaeval house still standing by the stream in the 1880w. In 1830 it had been rebuilt as a bailiff's house and later the farm the tenant, Walter Mills, bought it and farmed there until the 1920s. It was demolished in 1945 and pre-fabricated council houses built on the site.
Loxford Water – this is a separate channel, parallel to the park lake and forms Redbridge Barking boundary.

Loxford Lane
Woodlands Infants School. Thus was originally a department of Loxford council school, and was opened in 1931.
Newbridge School. Loxford Lane Campus. Special school. It was previously Hyleford School
Loxford Youth Centre
Loxford Park. Made up from the grounds of the Loxford Hall Estate, bought in 1899 by Ilford Urban District Council for a public recreation ground. The park has playing fields, a cherry lined avenue, tennis courts and the bowling green surrounded by roses. There is a sunken rose garden created in 1940 and used as a sake park
Loxford School of Science and Technology. Loxford School moved to this site in 1972 and a new school has been built in 2011.
Loxford Hall. Built in 1830 in brick by Sir Charles Hulse and later enlarged. In the Second World War it was used by the War Department, and since 1949 has been an Essex County Council child guidance clinic and now used as a child centre for the North East London Mental Health Trust. .

Norman Road
Durga Mandir. This moved here in the mid 1990s having been set up in the 1970s

Friday, 14 October 2011

Thames Tributary Loxford Water - Longbridge Road

Thames Tributary Loxford Water

Loxford Water flows south towards the River Roding.

Post to the north Seven Kings
Post to the west Loxford
Post to the east Mayesbrook Park

Cavendish Gardens
Upney Baptist Church. Built in 1934 on a donated site which had been designated for housing. It was progressively expanded with a Sunday school and other buildings.

Longbridge Road,
Line of old road- in part called Smallwell Lane. The Longbridge itself was the crossing of the Mayesbrook.
Barking bus garage built in the 1920s and later enlarged. It is Neo-Georgian with an extension of 1958 by M. Maybury, Borough Architect, and spanned by 70-ft wide pre-cast concrete bowstring trusses. It operated the last RTs up to 1979. Now owned by Stagecoach
219 Drill Hall, used by an air cadet corps
Barking Abbey School. This was founded in 1922 as the first co-educational grammar school in England. In 1970, it merged with Park Modern School to form the present school. It is on 2 sites and years 7 and 8 are at Longbridge Road.
Royal Oak. 19th pub
Fair Cross. Probably means 'beautiful cross’. Perhaps a reference to a wayside crucifix at the early crossroads here though it could refer to a fair.

South Park Drive
Loxford Social Club
Knox Playing Field

Seven Kings Water - Seven Kings

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water

Seven Kings Water flows south through this area towards the Rover Roding. It is underground and unseen and emerges as Loxford Water

Post to the north Seven Kings
Post to the south Longbridge Road
Post to the east Goodmayes Park
Post to the west Ilford


Green Lane
Ash Grove Pub and Indian restaurant. Post war building

High Road
Ilford Swimming Pool. Built 1929-31 by L.E.J. Reynolds, the Borough Engineer to a design of 1914 by his predecessor Herbert. It is thus Edwardian. Closed 2008 with structural problems.
Cricklefield Stadium behind the baths. Built in 1923 and used by Ilford Football Club and an athletics club.
Cauliflower brick works north of the road in the 19th.
Water tower - the water tower for the Great Eastern Railway’s Eastern Depot can be seen behind the shops. It stands roughly on the site of the Seven Kings Curve on the Great Eastern Railway's Woodford Branch, which opened in 1903 and left the main line here to run north. It was removed when the Ilford Depot was expanded in the late 1950s
533 Cauliflower Pub. Big pub, very tall on a granite plinth with brick above. Lots of stucco decoration.  Engraved glass  inside and at the back an original billiard hall.19th pub used for music events. Said to be haunted.

 

South Park
South Park. Seven Kings Water remerges here as Loxford Water flowing through it. The Borough acquired the land, which was part of the Loxford Hall Estate for South Park in 1899 and it opened in 1902. It has a long lake with several islands created by diverting water from the stream. There are mature specimen trees including oak, beech, lime and horse chestnut. The site of a bandstand can be seen in the hedging. In 1923 the Clock tower from Ilford Broadway was re-erected here, but destroyed by Second World War bombing.

Seven Kings Road
Methodist Church. Built in 1904-5 by George Bairns & Son and enlarged since. It has a Tower with a shingled spire. It began in 1903 as part of the United Methodist Free Church, a leading member of which was A. E. Williams, secretary and biographer of Dr. Barnardo. Outside is an avenue of specimen trees

Water Lane
South Park Chapel. Evangelical church
South Park Junior and Infants Schools. South Park council school was opened in 1907 as Ilford Urban Elementary School and a plaque commemorating this is displayed. Between 1927 and 1930 it was used for a temporary selective central school but reverted to elementary status in 1931.

Thursday, 13 October 2011

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water - Seven Kings

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water
Seven Kings Water continues to flow south towards the River Roding eventually disappearing under railway line

The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Ilford Station through to Seven Kings Station and onwards.

Post to the west Seven Kings
Post to the east Goodmayes
Post to the south Seven Kings

Aldborough Road South
The Downshall Centre – this is now a ‘free’ private school run by E-Act. It had for many years been a youth and community centre, but had been built in the 1930s as Downshall Junior School.
St John the Evangelist Church. The church dates from 2004 but was reconfigured in the early 1990s
Sheltered accommodation on the site of the vicarage.

Cameron Road
Joker pub – big pub with large open space in front. Closed with planning consent for housing.
14 Shannon Centre. Irish social centre which includes night club, bars etc.
Chadwick House. Sheltered housing on the Site of the old Baptist premises and named after the first minister there, 1898 the Revd. John F. Chadwick opened this as a temporary and Corbett, the developer, gave the site for a hall.
Canon Palmer Roman Catholic Secondary School. Opened as a ‘Special Agreement’ school, in 1961. Is now an ‘Academy’.

Downshall Estate
Developed by Cameron Corbett in the 1890s.

High Road
Job Centre
Kingdom Hall
Kings Hotel. 19th hotel since demolished. It was on part of the site taken by superstores, etc.
Seven Kings Health Centre

Meads Lane
Church Hall from the United Free Church
Downshall Primary School built in 1994 to replace the school built in what became the Downshall Centre. It was on the Seven Kings Lower site.

Norfolk Road
United Free Congregational church. Formed in 1902, A hall was built in 1907 and a new church in 1936.

Seven Kings
This may mean the 'place of Seofeca's people', but the tradition that this was the meeting place of seven Saxon kings is not generally supported

Seven Kings Road
Seven Kings Station. Opened in 1899 it lies between Goodmayes and Ilford Stations and it was built by Great Eastern Railway. The station was built with guarantees by Corbetts as part of promotion for Grange housing estate and it was built with four tracks from the start so as not to repeat mistakes made at Ilford. Photographs show what appears to be a water tower at the eastern end of the down platform.  In 1984 there was some rebuilding of the station but it mostly remains as originally built.

Westwood Road
Westwood Recreation Ground, this is parkland bisected by the Seven Kings Water in a canal and dammed at the centre of the park to form a pond. The park was formed in the 1930s and has Gothic style gates. There are 19th limes and planes and a children’s playground.

Sources
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Downshill School. Web site
London Borouh of Redbridge. Web site
St.John the Evangelist. Web site
Victoria County History. Essex

Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water - Goodmayes

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water
Seven Kings Water continues to flow south towards the River Roding on and


The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Seven Kings Station, through Goodmayes Station and onwards

Post to the north Goodmayes
Post to the west Seven Kings
Post to the east Chadwell Heath
Post to the south Goodmayes Park


Airthrie Road
Goodmayes Primary School. Goodmayes Temporary School was opened in 1905, in a corrugated iron building and known as the 'Tin School'. The current site was opened in 1909 as Goodmayes Infants School and Goodmayes Junior School. It was remodelled in 1962 and in 1976 became Goodmayes Primary School.

Ashgrove Road
Goodmayes Mosque
Eman Community Centre

Barley Lane
Named for the last abbess of Barking Abbey, a Dorothy Barley.
St Paul’s. The parish of St. Chad was created in 1895 but because of the amount of building it was clear another church would be needed. Cameron Corbett MP, was asked for a site and he offered one cheaply, which was accepted. The Foundation Stone was laid in 1903 and a church was designed by Chancellor and Sons as a large, airy building in red brick and a chequerwork pattern in the gable. Consecrated in 1929, when the tower only reached two storeys. Stained glass by Morris & Co. 1929 repaired after war damage, commemorating donor Emily Randall. Other windows by Whitefriars
Barley Lane Recreation ground

Blytheswood Road
Presbytery for St.Cedd’s – vast great building
Iron church for the Wesleyan Methodists stood on the corner here in 1902 and was later moved for the same use to Upminster

Goodmayes
The name is first recorded thus in 1456 and refers to a John Godemay of 1319.

Goodmayes Road
Goodmayes Station. This is between Chadwell Heath and Seven Kings on One Railway. Built in 1901 on the Great Eastern Railway together with guarantees by Cameron Corbett in connection with his firm’s development of local housing estates. The station was bombed heavily during the Second World War with the main lines destroyed in 1940.
Goods Yard.  Freight yards and sidings lay either side of the station to the east and to the west. There was an engine turntable on the north side of the main line. The goods yards declined following the opening of Temple Mills and it was closed in 1962.
Goodmayes East Signal Box. This was closed in 1949 and replaced by one on the opposite side of the track which was itself demolished in 1997.

Green Lane
Lord Napier. Very large 19th pub with extensions and a yard. Hold regular rock events.
Clock tower. Built by Redbridge Council to mark the Millennium with support from local businesses.
Royal Parade. Prominent plaque on a corner shop
Al Noor Independent Muslim primary school, opened 2002
White Hart Pub

High Road
Follows the line of the Roman Road between London and Colchester.
St Cedd Roman Catholic church built by the Methodists in 1904, and taken over by the Catholics in 1966. Big gothic church in red brick and an incomplete tower
Sikh Temple. Former 1930s Telephone Exchange. An austere closed brick box. It was converted into a temple in the 1990s and includes a gymnasium and halls to hold 500.
Telephone exchange. Modern exchange on the north side of the road
Carnegie Library and Public Hall. Designed in 1907-9 by Herbert Shaw, the Ilford Borough Engineer and Presented by Andrew Carnegie. It includes a Cottage for the librarian. This is now become a private ’preparatory school’ for a private ’grammar school’
Tesco superstore on the area of what were railway sidings, used to marshal munitions trains in the Second World War.
Seven Kings Bus Garage. Dates from 1913 and the last garage to run RTs.  Closed in the early 1990s.
Greyhound. modern Harvester chain pub on a Tudor site. At the back a footpath goes to Green Lane.

Huxley Drive
Barley Lane Primary School

Kinfauns Road
Goodmayes Baptist church. Founded before the First World War by a group which had left the Baptist Church in Seven Kings. In 1920 they built a church from timber and asbestos adding another building later.

Royal Close
Farnham Green Primary School

Sources
Barley Lane School. Web site
Brennand . Ilford to Shenfield
Field. London Place Names.
Glazier. Bus Garages in London
Goodmayes Primary School. Web site
St.Cedd. Web site
St.Paul. Web sitr
Victoria County History. Essex

Sunday, 9 October 2011

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water - Goodmayes Hospital

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water
The Seven Kings water flows south towards the River Roding

Post to the north Little Heath

Post to the south Goodmayes

Post to the east Chadwell Heath

Barley Lane
The continuation of Wood Lane north of High Road, to Little Heath. The name is first recorded in 1609 and may be a corruption of an older word - ‘Berdelove strete’.
Redbridge College was Redbridge Technical College opened in 1970. It is part of a college on two campuses offering vocational courses in a range of subjects it has a Restaurant open to the public as well as hair and beauty salons
Newbridge School. The school is an amalgamation of Ethel Davis School for children with physical disabilities and Hyleford Schools which joined in 2005 to cater for special educational needs over the age of 14.
King George Hospital. A major general NHS hospital. Plans to relocate the King George's general hospital from Newbury Park led to the redevelopment Goodmayes Hospital site in the area north of the main building and the new hospital opened in 1993.it was built by YRM, Wimpey Construction Ltd of two-storey, yellow brick blocks around a court and Flexibly planned for expansion. Also areas for acute services by Architects Design Partnership.
Goodmayes Hospital. Built by West Ham county borough in 1894 at Bluehouse Farm. Designed by Lewis Angell, borough architect as an asylum for 600 patients with hall, laundry, works with a Thames Ironworks steam engine, boiler house, water tower, and male and female wards - patients living in cottages linked by walkways to communal buildings – and also isolation hospital, mortuary and chapel along with a lodge, steward's residence, two detached officer's residences and four pairs of semi detached cottages. An asylum farm was to the south. Buildings were in red brick, with a cupola to the main block. In the 1920s a new admission hospital was built and new wards. Under the National Health Service its name changed to Goodmayes. The hospital is currently still in use with the main asylum building and Tantallon house (the original Superintendent's house) in use for mental health services but much else has been demolished, including the farm buildings.
Chapters House completed .2002 for mental health patients previously in Goodmayes Hospital and it is on the site of the admissions hospital
Meadow Court nursing home replaced Chadwell Heath Hospital and has 34 beds for frail elders and 36 beds for patients with dementia. It is on the site of the Goodmayes female blocks
Car park on site of the chapel
Seven Kings Water forms the western boundary of the site

Chadwell Heath Lane
Chadwell Heath Hospital. This was Ilford isolation hospital opened in 1898 by the Urban District Council. In 1915 a new ward for tuberculosis opened and in the 1930s wards in a cruciform style were added plus a kitchen block. Under the NHS it came under the Ilford and Barking Group Hospital Management Committee and it expanded from 51 to 172 beds. It had a records office and laundry undertaking work for other Group hospitals. During the 1950s some wards were converted for elderly patients and Geriatric Unit was established and in 1960, when it was renamed Chadwell Heath Hospital and it was considerably updated including a rehabilitation unit. By 1990, when it had 133 beds, it was a hospital for geriatric and chronically ill patients, with a special unit for multiple sclerosis. The Hospital closed in 2001 and the site is now used for housing.

Christie Gardens
Chadwell Heath Academy. This was formerly known as The Chadwell Heath Foundation School and is a comprehensive school with 1200 pupils.

Saturday, 8 October 2011

Thames tributary Seven Kings Water - Little Heath

Thames tributary Seven Kings Water
Seven Kings Water flows south east and then turns to flow south west


Post to the north Hainault Farm
Post to the south Goodmayes Hospital
Post to the east Marks Gate

Barley Lane
The Hawbush pub. Closed 2006 and site now housing.
Pump in the garden of a bungalow, now gone.

Billet Lane
Site of St.Chad’s Well after which Chadwell Heath is named. The well was very ancient and thought to have medicinal properties and ‘beneficial to the eyes'. It was covered by a by a brick alcove. It was destroyed in road widening in the 20th but there is a brick pillar, with a bronze plaque at the spot put there in 1951 by the Borough Council to commemorate the Festival of Britain.

Chadwell Heath Road
Chadwell Heath Care Home

Eastern Avenue
Opened 1925

Hainault road
Little Heath House. Demolished
Hargreaves scout camp Little Heath Special School. Secondary school
West Ham United Academy. Football training ground
Chadwell Heath Lawn Tennis Club
Little Heath
This has been known as ‘Lytel Ylieford heth’ at least since 1369 .This was a hamlet at the edge of Hainault Forest which may be the place of the water source after which Chadwell Heath itself is named.
Little Heath Green. This triangular grass patch is the remains of the village green here, which dated to the 14th. Until 1909 there was a village pond here and a timber signpost which has now vanished. It was 21 acres in 1847 and is now reduced in size.
cottages of 19th stock brick cottages

Painters Road
Gravel conveyor going north from the north side
Lake in north west junction of Hainault road
Lafarge Fairlop Gravel Works. Quarry and silt ponds. To become a nature reserve.

St James Gardens
St. James’s Church, was built in 1862 by Major G.E. Ibbetson as a chapel beside his home, Little Heath House. Services continued until about 1930 and it was demolished in 1933 never having been properly consecrated

Thames Tributaries Seven Kings Water - Hainault Farm

Thames Tributaries Seven Kings Water and Hog Hill Ditch
Seven Kings Water flowing south east joins Hog Hill Ditch flowing south west and they flow south east towards the River Roding.


Post to the north Hainault
Post to the south Little Heath


Hainault Road
After the disafforestation of Hainault in the 1850's new roads were made in the former forest area, of which the most important was Hainault Road. The area was farmland taken over for wartime RAF use and then returned to farmland, purchased by Ilford Borough Council post war to prevent expansion into a civilian airport.
Hainault Farm Aerodrome situated to the east of Hainault Road was occupied by the Royal Flying Corps in 1915
Fairlop Quarry - operated by Brett Lafarge Limited for gravel extraction. Silt is produced which is piped to a silt lagoon. The pipe runs adjacent to Hog Hill Ditch
Hainault Farm. 1855
Hainault Farm cottages
1855
Hainault Works 1855
Industrial units on sites east of the road.