Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows south and is joined by Loxford Water from the east
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway runs southeastwards from Woodgrange Park Station
This is where the Roding divides East Ham and Barking. On either side of the river are some of the respective boroughs less attractive public utilities. Now the North Circular Road follows the river north:south between the two boroughs. On the East Ham bank is a rail depot near the spot where the London Underground District Line meets the main line Gospel Oak to Barking Railway.
Post to the east Central Barking
Post to the north Little Ilford
Post to the south East Ham and Barking
Bridge to Stevenage road – called ‘Arches’ or ‘Seven Arches’ bridge
Circular structure is a ventilation shaft for the High Speed Line. Was used as an access shaft during building.
On the eastern fringe of East Ham, developed in the 1890s. The Burges estate began with Ynyr Burges, Paymaster of the East India Company, between 1762 and 1792 and his successors. In particular Col. Ynyr Henry Burges had begun to build it up in 1887 and it was completed by his grandson, Major Ynyr A. Burges, during the 1920s.
St.Paul's Church built 1933, by Charles Spooner, with timber framing and brown brick,
Church hall – this is the former mission church
Housing around the lane, and to the north and west. It is on higher land about the river and there is a view over the reed beds
Abbey Community Centre
A stream or mill leat running parallel to the Roding and west of Abbey Marsh. It had disappeared in the 19th.
When the New Road was built a brick bridge was constructed to caked East Bridge or Hawkins River Bridge.
The Back River leaves the River Roding in this area to flow south.
Area of trading estates and industrial units
Pacific House, Pacific Wharf
London Road - improved in 1810 for better access between the West India Docks and Tilbury. Historically, it halted at Barking's, North Street, but was extended after 1937 to connect with Ripple Road. Once called New Road.
Bridge House. Barking youth and social service departments plus Burger King
Tesco on the site of what was Swedish Wharf
Bridge over the Roding. This is an ancient crossing, the current bridge dates from 1904. by P.J.I Sheldon for Essex County Council with a ast-iron balustrade of rosette-centred quatrefoils.
Light Lady of Barking. Sculpture on the roundabout by Dutch artist Joost Van Santen. It is made of white coated steel and the silhouette changes as you move around it. It is topped with a blue acrylic disc with a light to create an ellipse against the sky. Previously this was an area of rough grassland
Abbey playing field
Thames Water Little Ilford Pumping Station
Bricks. There were brickfields in this area in the 17th
Abbey Children’s Centre. Timber framed building by Cazenove architects. Opened 2006
Northbury Junior and Infant Schools. Three decker Board School built 1897 by C.J. Dawson. 21st extensions and detailed in red and yellow brick
Gurdwara Singh Sabra. Friends meeting house converted to a Sikh temple in the 1970s. This was the replacement meeting house building for the demolished mansion. Built 1908 in Dutch 17th style in brick now painted over
Quaker Burial Ground. Established in 1672. Elizabeth Fry buried here. It is now cleared and landscaped. A Friends Meeting was set up in Barking in 1658 and they bought this land in 1673. Later they bought an adjacent mansion called Tate’s Place. This was used as a meeting house and partially rebuilt several times. For sixty years in the 19th it was unused and opened again in 1891 and found to be beyond repair in 1908. It was demolished and replaced
North Circular Road
Northern Relief Road
Built to take the A124 round the north of Barking town and built since the 1980s.
Pumping station. . Erected in 1897 by South Essex Waterworks Company. Water pumping station. In grounds by the river north of the London Road Bridge. Mature trees and planted shrubs grow along the riverbank and the tower is covered in Virginia creeper.
House in the grounds.
Flood alleviation lagoons with reed beds. The southern lagoon dates from the late 1980s. There is a broad flood berm between the channel and the flood bank north of London Road.
Riverside walk and public open space. Beside the river is a row of hybrid black poplars
North Thames Gas Sports Ground
Chocolate City Night Club -and social club.
East Ham Gas Holder Station. 19th Holder built by Barking Gas Company
Rail depot. This was the site of the District Line Carriage Shed which closed when the Depot at Upminster opened. Now C2C Depot built when the Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness line was electrified. Includes a water tower
Housing on the site of the Howard chemical works. Roads with pretty flower names.
British History OnLine. Barking. Web site
London Wildlife. Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham .
Port of London Authority Magazine
Stewart. Gas Works in the North Thames Area