Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Thames Tributary Beverley- Worcester Park

Thames Tributary Beverley
The Beverley flows northwards towards the Thames


Post to the west Old Malden
Post to the north Motspur Park
Post to the east Morden Common
Post to the south Cheam Common

Central Road
181 The Huntsman. Built between 1856 and 1861 and the original name was the Railway Tavern
Green Lane
The Beverley flows down the western side of Green Lane and the area suffers considerably from flooding.
Telephone Exchange Bank Chambers – a minimal brick box
Worcester Park Sewage Works. Lo
cal authority sewage works dating from the 1950s. –the main flow used to feed into the Beverley. Works closed in 1996
Sutton Local Authority Computer Centre also demolished for the posh housing
Green Lane Primary School

Longfellow Road
Wooden boarded house.
260 John Major’s childhood home
Rosa Smith Playground – named after the benefactor who bequeathed the land to the people of Worcester Park a century ago.

Malden Green
Green to the north of Worcester Park Station also called Lower Green. In 1844 William Baker, Cheam tea dealer, was found guilty of enclosing some of it - but very little is left now anyway although it is protected by an Act of Parliament of 1908 Some of it has became a sports ground managed by London Borough of Sutton.

Malden Road
Malden Green farmhouse Brick and stucco, 17th but altered Grade II listed and juts onto the Green. This was known as Lower Green Farm
Weatherboarded barn, stables and a horse training arena, plus factory units, sheds and concrete hardstanding
Worcester Park Station. Between Stoneleigh and Motspur Park on South Western Rail. Built 1859 on common land, which it split in two. It was opened on the Wimbledon and Dorking Railway from Wimbledon to Epsom and was originally called ‘Old Malden’ - In 1862 it was changed to ‘Worcester Park’. There was a small stock brick house for the staff with barge boards. Initially there was no footbridge and passengers had to cross over the lines, but in 1903 a lattice steel girder bridge was supplied from Wimbledon Signal Works. The station was almost totally rebuilt in the 1930s. With New up side building in red brick and concrete, new offices and a new entrance on the down side.
Goods yard by the up platform. This was swamped by building materials in the 1930s and urgently enlarged. Closed 1963 but had to reopen again because of the bad winter.
Hollybrook estate. Barratt development on the land of Malden Green farm.
The Worcester Park. Big triangular 1930s roadhouse style pub

Manor Drive
The Doris Venner Youth and Community Centre

Railway Line
Line to Chessington built off the Southern Railway line to Epsom in 1936.

Sherbrooke Way
Housing on the site of the sewage works

The Avenue
Worcester Park Baptist Church

The Hamptons,
Housing on the site of the sewage works and computer centre.
Canterbury Hall flats built in 2004 by 'St James Homes'
Vermont Hall is another one in unbelievable pretentious ‘New England’ style.

Worcester Park
The area is named as this on the Ordnance Survey map of 1819. Worcester House was the home of the Earl of Worcester who in 1606 was appointed Keeper of Henry VIII's Nonsuch Park.

Thames Tributary Wandle - Wandsworth

This post only refers to elements in the square which are south of the Thames

Thames Tributary Wandle
The Wandle flows north and reaches the Thames


Post to the south Wandsworth
Post to the east Battersea
Post to the west Putney High Street and Fulham Riverside

Bell Lane
Wentworth Engine factory. Principally made beam engines and failed when horizontal engines were introduced. One of their engines, built in 1845, remained in the Ram Brewery and others are preserved elsewhere.

Bell Lane Creek
A branch of the Wandle which forms Causeway Island and which remains despite plans to fill it in in the 1950s. Grade II ecology site The sluice gate structure has been used for DELTA project. From it has been hung a bell, rung by the tides - four times in every 24 hours. Carved in stone on the gate is “Salmon, Swan, Otter, Heron, Eel”. In 1993, micro-hydro turbine was put on the sluice gate to generate renewable energy.
Bridgefield Grove
This road has now gone, but the name reflects the medieval field which covered the site.

Canal
This was opened in July 1802 and built by Jessop as part of the Surrey Iron Railway scheme. It was Quarter of a mile long with an entrance lock. It could hold 30 barges at once. It left the Wandle roughly at the High Street and then went east and parallel of the river to the Thames, where there was a lock out to the river. There was a swing bridge over it to take Church Walk. Railway land alongside the canal was taken over by the brewery and the gas coin 1839 and it was used for 60-ton barges for the gas works. They installed a steam crane in 1874. In 1846 Mcmurray, of the Royal Paper Mills in Garratt Lane had taken control of it and it was then called McMurray's Canal and used for transporting esparto grass. A scheme to go to Wimbledon was discussed in 1865 but came to nothing. It became disused after the First World War and in 1932 filled in as far as York Road. Moss Rose part of the infilling. All that is left is a bit of concrete wall
Spencer Court along the west bank and which consisted of late 18th cottages

Church Walk
This ran from Jews Walk to a swing bridge over the canal which eventually connected with the Causeway. Also called Ship Lane, presumably because it went to the Ship Pub at Waterside
Hills chemical works. This failed and became part of the gas works for the manufacture of sulphate of ammonia, mid 19th. The Hills family owned numerous chemical works in Britain and abroad which mainly processed gas industry waste. This works was managed by eldest brother, Arthur Hills.
Bus depot in Old Tram depot and stables. South London Tramways depot and stables opened in 1883 and converted by the LCC to conduit electric in 1906. Converted for trolleybuses in 1937. Replaced by buses in 1950. Closed in 1987 but reopened n 1988 for London Coaches and Round London Sightseeing Tours. Now owned by Arriva Brick tramway depot listed grade II.

Dormay Street
Burroughs and Welcombe first factory was here. They had been pharmacists in the US. Set up here to avoid stamp duty on pills. In 1889 they moved to Dartford.

Enterprise Way
Trading Estates

Fairfield Street
123 The Railway. Public house apparently referring to the Surrey Iron Railway.
Wandsworth Station. The earliest station was on the east side of Fairfield Street and relocated in 1860.
Hopkins and Williams’s chemical works. 1861. Between Jews Walk and Fairfield, the site was eventually bought by Wandsworth Gas Co. Hopkins and Williams made chemicals for use with photography. Chemical firm(s) of this name have been active through the 20th in London and internationally.

Ferrier Street
Trading estate along the railway

Lighterman’s Walk
Riverside walk area with posh flats

Nickols Walk
Riverside walk area with posh flats

Northfields
Cover the area of the mediaeval north field

Old York Road
499 Alma. Open-plan pub opposite the station. With wooden floors, exterior tiling and interior mosaic and ceramic decoration.
Wandsworth Town Station. 1846. Between Putney and Clapham Junction on South Western Trains.

Osiers Road
A little to the west of Point Pleasant. And developed for industry in the early 20th Trading estates and some new flats.
Amerce factory – in the late 19th this was the only factory in England licensed to make these caps for toy pistols. The factory also made the cracking bit of crackers
Cadwell factory making fireworks and signals.
Dagnals rope works.

Point Pleasant
Steps to the river were called Judge’s Steps.
Judge’s House once stood there
Northfield House once stood there
Prospect House. A stuccoed two-storey Regency villa. Probably built c.1805 for Joseph Gatty, owner of the vinegar works near by. Restored in 1975.
Frying Pan Creek because lots of kitchen things made there. 1898 little houses called Frying Pan Houses. Manufacture of small iron goods had begun in 1634 when there were at least 14 hearths. Edward Barker appears to have been in charge of this and to have through the workers to England from Holland he sold frying pans, etc from a warehouse. He owned the land and paid the Dutch workers for what they made. He was a major arms dealer in the Civil War supplying to Cromwell. In 1771 it was sold
Gatty and Waller chemists took over the site of the frying pan houses in 1771. Operating the site as a vinegar distillery, and also supplying chemicals to local dyers and printers. They also had an iron liquor house on site.
Malt Houses. Three malthouses here in the late 19th.
Aluminium Plant and Vessel Co. Set up in the malthouses in 1910 by Richard Seligman. Became a specialist aluminium welding business particularly in the First World War, and eventually covered most of Point Pleasant. Made tanks for spitfires, etc. But in 1952 moved to Crawley.
Union Brewery. Opened 1820 and closed 1920.

Railway
The railway from Clapham Junction to Richmond crosses Armoury Way on a brick viaduct, and a wide steel span crossed the SIR's dock. It was opened in 27 1846, five weeks before the Surrey Iron Railway closed, it probably also crossed the SIR'S dockside sidings

Smugglers Way
Trading estates and new housing
Solid waste transfer station. Operated by Cory Environmental it was built in 1985 to handle up to 5,600 tonnes of solid domestic and civic amenity waste per week. The station containerises the waste

Swandon Way
Swandon was one of the names for the Wandsworth Manor House slightly east of here. This road has been built in the late 20th to replace York Road.

The Causeway
This is a lane which goes along the west bank of the Wandle and leads to its mouth on the Thames. It was the approach road to the Lower Mills. At the northern end were tidal wharves beside the Wandle, Shepley's warehouses, and the crane. It turned to cross the Wandle; and also crossed the entrance to the Surrey Iron Railway dock by a lift bridge – some rails remained in the 1980s.
Wandsworth Chemical Works Ltd., manufacturing chemist, Phenol on the site of Torpedo Wharf
Torpedo Wharf. Site of Halsey’s boat building – steam tugs and launches.
Lower Mills. The site was north of the Richmond railway, where a bridge crossed the river. They were also known as ‘Causeway Mills’, and belonged to Richard Bush. He was a promoter of the Surrey Iron Railway and owned the Wandsworth distillery, and was presumably the same Bush who had an interest in the Earlsfield oil mills. In 1723 they were used as oil mills but in 1745 they were used for malt. The Lower Mills were partly tide mills. The enabling act for the Surrey Iron Railway provided Richard Bush who occupied mills owned by the Rev. Charles Sampson and James Drew should control any sluices from the new dock, so that the milling should not be interfered with. Later both the mills and the distillery passed to the Watneys, the distillery becoming John Watney & Co., and in the late c19th the mills were used to clean wheat which was then rolled at the Upper and Mills. The mill worked 12 pairs of French burrstones with three water wheels. It was closed in 1893 and demolished in 1898. Making Wando bread.
Southwark and Vauxhall Water Works on a site between the Wandle and the Canal and north of the Causeway. Set up in 1852 and took water directly from the Thames.
Wandsworth chemical works making sheep dips, manures etc.
Feathers public house this was on the bank of the Surrey Iron Railway cut. Closed in 1888 but the building remained inside the refuse depot until 1959.
Salter’s boat yard was at the back of the Feathers pub.
Feathers Wharf. Cory barged refuse out of it and it became a depot for "cleansing and dusting the town".

Wandle
The main stream of the Wandle has been diverted through a modern sluice and inland also goes along a former creek – Bell Lane Creek.
The delta, where the Wandle met the tidal Thames, was sacred land for 2000 years. Here Bronze and Iron Age people worshipped the power of the rivers. They showed their devotion by throwing bronze objects into the water: shields, axes, swords, and funerary urns.

Wandle Island
The County of London and British Provincial Electric Lighting Co Ltd. Large factory, chimney 200' high never properly built. 1898.

Wandsworth Bridge.
1884 act passed same day as Albert Bridge Utilitarian but Fulham did not make up its rates to the bridge so it was not used very much. Sold to MBW for a very little. LCC replaced it 1881 but could not carry buses not done until l935. Finished 1940. 3 span structure first opened in October 1873. Having become too narrow for the requirements of its traffic, the original bridge was pulled down in 1954 and replaced by the present handsome new structure of three arches, which was opened for traffic in 1938.

Waterside
Most of the road had gone by 1912 as the gas works expanded.
Boat house
Phipps wharf
Wandsworth Gas Works
Wandsworth and District Gas Company. Set up in October 1834 and leased a small site, adjoining the Surrey Iron Railway Basin and were producing gas by February 1835. In 1873 they purchased Dormay’s concern for £5,000. The Wandsworth Company grew into one of London's largest gas concerns. The problem of handling increasing tonnages of coal by barge via the canal basin, some 50,000 tons per year, was solved in 1906 when SS Ratcliff delivered 1,100 tons of coal to the works at Wandsworth. Low priced gas also appealed to balloonists and for a while Wandsworth became the Mecca of the ballooning world. In 1912 the first of a series of amalgamations took place with the Mitcham and Wimbledon Gas Company, and the Epsom and Ewell Gas Company. There were two further series of amalgamations, in 1930 and 1931 with the Kingston Gas Company and the Sutton Gas Company, 1936 saw amalgamation with the Leather- head Gas Company and the Walton and Weybridge Gas Company, also control was gained of the Woking Gas Company. In 1934 a large jetty equipped with two 5 ton hydraulic cranes, was built. Another important development in 1938 was the construction of Britain’s first tower purifiers. After the Second World War demand for gas rose sharply, considerably and a new water gas plant was commissioned in 1947 with a capacity of four million cubic foot per day. Nationalisation of the Gas Industry took effect from 1st May 1949, and the Company passed to the South Eastern Gas Board.
Windmill recorded here in 1633
Gothic House used by the Methodists as a mission hall 1879-1898
The White Horse which was subsumed into the gas works site.
Waterman’s Arms closed in 1910.
Barge Aground closed pub
Saw mills

Wharf Road (not clear where this was)
Electric Light Power and Colour Co., works. This was decorative lighting – they lit the outside of Crystal Palace

Monday, 29 November 2010

Thames Tributary Wandle - Wandsworth

Thames Tributary Wandle
The Wandle continues to flow northwards to the Thames.


Post to the north Wandsworth
Post to the south Earlsfield

Allfarthing Lane
The name relates to Allfarthing Manor of which this area was part. ‘Allfarthing’ means a half of a quarter of a fee and the manor consisted of three estates put together. From 1403 it was owned by Westminster Abbey
Surrey Iron Railway - a rail was found in this area
114 The Forester. Now the HQ of Wandsworth MIND. Old pub in brick and white tile with a number of decorative features.

Armoury Way
Armoury – this was the traditional home of Jane Shore which was used as the depository of the arms of the Loyal Wandsworth volunteers and thus gave its name to Armoury Yard. It was behind the parish church, and has disappeared Armoury Way was conceived as a bypass and built in 1938. The road crosses the Wandle, covering the site of the Middle Mills and also bisects the Wandsworth Plain Estate
Middle Mills. The site was about 30 yards south of the present road. The earliest reference is in 1504/5 when it was a corn mill. By 1569 it had been converted to a "Braille mill" used for rasping brazil wood to a powder for use as a textile dye and it continued to be used in this way through a variety of owners and tenants. In 1724 it was insured by Benjamin Watson as an oil mill but by 1740 it was used for milling corn. From 1730 there was an octagonal windmill on top of the mill, used for grinding dyewoods, and which was there until the 1820s when it lost its sails. By 1790 Richard Shepley was the miller there, and he was also working at the corn mill of the downstream Upper Mills, and following a number of changes it was taken over by George Shepley who controlled a number of mills upriver on the Wandle. John Rennie inspected the mill in 1804 reporting that the equipment was old and in bad repair. Later the mill passed through other owners and by various members of the Watney family until the 1860s. The Pimms were still operating at the mill in 1892, but in 1898 the building was said to have been "pulled down”.
The Surrey Iron Railway crossed what is now Armoury Way at the junction with York Road. This area was the site of the Barchard dye works then north of the Ram brewery wall. These were on the east bank of the Wandle. The earliest reference is in 1724, when they were leased to Edward Applegarth and in 1742 they were again sold by his widow and eventually passed to George and John Spence who dyed scarlet cloth for the East India Company using cochineal, with a solution of tin salts as a mordant, producing a brilliant red.the next occupant was Joseph Barchard and a younger generation of Bsrchard and Spence became partners. The firm was operating as Hilton, Barchard and Platt in 1827 and closed down a few years later. By 1838 the site had been incorporated into the Ram brewery. The dwelling house, been occupied by successive proprietors of the works, and was used as a "Boys' Home" under the name "Bridge House", until 1896
Wandle BridgeArmoury Works, Prestige Marble Co. with old car on show for adjacent car hire firm.
The Armoury Pub – until recently this was The Crane Pub which commemorated a crane on the local wharves. It was built was built around 1742 and is one of the oldest buildings in Wandsworth but there had been some modification. The original slate cellar floor is still in place as well as the fire place and stained glass windows. The pub is said to have two ghosts - One of a pot boy, and one of a lady.
Old Mill House 17th house which stood near to Middle Mill on the west side of The Plain, demolished mid-1920s.
Wandsworth Plain EstateStonewoods
All Saints National School founded here in 1813. Rebuilt several times and closed in the 1960s. The 1872 building remains on site now in use as a showroom

Arndale CentreA huge covered shopping mall plus, 516 flats in tower blocks, car park, baths, by Seymour Harris & Partners, 1967-74. Built by the Arndale Property Trust said to be at the time the largest covered shopping mall in Europe.
Surrey Iron Railway. The course between Mapleton Road and Wandsworth High Street lies beneath the Arndale Centre.
Upper Mills. The site is under the Arndale Centre. The earliest reference is 1559 and in 1608 there were two mills. In 1721 had become used for leather dressing and oil but in 1729 the western mill was converted to copper and in 1770 to a corn mill. By then they were owned by George Shepley. Smeaton was employed on rebuilding the corn mill with three low breast wheels, and the work completed by 1780. Later he designed an oil mill with a bypass channel using a 16ft wheel. By the 1820s the mills had been taken over by Daniel Watney and his son and rebuilt them in brick converting them back to corn milling, and using a 12 h.p. stationary steam engine from local firm by Wentworths,. Watney and Wells and were among the main suppliers of flour for London. The Upper and Middle Mills together had 31 pairs of grindstones and produced 60,000 sacks of flour, worth £150,000, a year. Fifty people worked there plus 30 horses. In time roller mills replaced millstones, and gas engines replaced the steam engine, though water power continued to be used. The older buildings were burned down in 1926. Milling ceased between the Wars, and other occupiers followed, finally the last being a cabinet maker in 1950. The buildings were demolished in 1962.
Wandsworth Stadium lies under the Arndale centre. Opened in 1933 it could hold 20,000 under cover. Greyhound racing continued until 1966.

Barchard Street
Named after the dyer.

Broomhill Road
Business Village in what was the premises of Welsbach Incandescent Gas Light Co. This consisted of workshops, studios, office, storage, business units and a Territorial Army centre.
Redifon Ltd. Made radio equipment and flight simulators
Marine Department of Rediffusion

Buckhold Road
A bleach field was sited at the junction with Broomhill Road in 1687. It was owned by John Ousley and on the sidewater of the Wandle. By 1744, under David Asterley, it had become very big, employing 150.
Cockpen House. Young’s delivery depot – now under redevelopment
Royal Military Police Building
Drill Field for the 13th Battalion East Surrey Regiment in the Great War
Youngs Brewery Parade Ground for the 28th Battalion

Causeway
Royal Wandsworth laundry. Largest local laundry in the 1890s, highly mechanised and using women

Chapel Court
Memorial Hall. Built by the congregational church. The National Opera Studio has been based here since June 2003. In 2002 they bought the Memorial Hall which is late Victorian and formerly a non-conformist chapel. It was built in 1882 as a memorial to the Huguenots who brough prosperity to Wandsworth while fleeing persecution.
The French chapel was previously on the site of the memorial hall. The French Huguenots who in Wandsworth built it in 1682. Their only difference from the Church of England was the language used in church. By the late 18th the congregation had fallen away and it was used as a store and then by various mission churches. In 1882 it was replaced by the Congregationalists by the Memorial Hall.

Dormay Street
John Dormay. House and works here. He opened his own gas works in the 1830s and applied for parliamentary powers. The Wandsworth Company opposed this, and in 1873 purchased Dormay’s concern for £5,000.
Wentworth House. Early 18th. Named for the engineering firm which was here.

East Hill
The Portsmouth Road, the A3, running down into the Wandle Valley and Wandsworth.
147 Brewers Inn. Youngs pub
135 The Royal OakEast Hill Baptist Church. In 1859, some local residents contacted Charles Spurgeon, the Baptist preacher and together they founded a church which met behind the Spread Eagle pub. The church had its own first building in 1862. This was demolished in 1994 and replaced with the current modern church.

Fairfield Road
An estate road running through blocks of flats built under the Housing Act of 1935 by Wandsworth Council

Fairfield Street
Site of a local fair in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It was not a legal fair and was suppressed in the 1830s. At one time this was called North Street. Until recent regeneration the road continued north of the York Road junction on a line roughly equivalent to Smugglers Way.
The Grapes. Listed Grade II. An early/mid-19th building
The White House stood on the junction with York Road in 17th and 18th.
Lamp standards outside the Town Hall. 1937 by Edward A Hunt,
pillars, with pendant glass lamps mounted plinths of Portland stone which form part of the composition of the town hall.

Frogmore
11 The Roche School. Private school.
22 Windsor Court. This was built as a special school for disabled children by Stirling and Gowan. 1965 now flats.
Flats WBC 1936
Wandsworth School for the Education of Children of Every Religious Denomination moved to a site opposite Sudlow Road ion 1868 and closed in 1903.
Wandsworth Council depotHilden House resource centre
Panorama Antennas In 1947, J.F.J. Products was set up by Mr Jesman. An ex-serviceman, making mop heads stitched from rags, cake stands assembled from Perspex sheets, and eyes for 'sleeping' dolls. In 1949 Mr. Jesman designed and built his own 'plastic injection' moulding machine from surplus aeroplane parts for the dolls eyes But Eventually, the business became established as a plastic moulding sub-contractor to the electronics industry. To supply the growing need for TV components, they purchased second hand moulding machinery and the company traded as the Panorama Radio Company and as each new development took off in the radio and TV industries they designed equipment to facilitate this. In 1974 Panorama Antennas Limited, was formed as a wholly family-owned business
Ellwood fur dyeing business here from 1885, processing furs and making them into garments.
Thames Chemical Co dyes
Hogmore Green was north of Frogmore and provided access to an unloading area on an arm of the Wandle.

Garratt Lane
Northern small section was once known as South Street
The Route of the Surrey Iron Railway followed Garratt Lane as far as the Wagon and Horses which was opposite Mapleton Road. The line then swung under what is now the Arndale Centre.
11 Wandsworth Town Library and Wandsworth Museum in Old Courthouse. Used as the county court 1860-1973
8 GJs bar which was previously the Wagon and Horses. This pun was first noted in 1851. The name may refer to the Surrey Iron railway.
14 house which had mathematical tiles on the front
17-27 Housing department
45 Sainsbury
102 Stonezone
104 The Old Sergeant
. Old pub which has been with Youngs since 1836 but was there in 1785. The doors of the old coach-house can be still seen at the right of the building.
107 Tir na og was horse and groom. The previous Horse and Groom pub was originally the workhouse for St.Mary le Strand.
109 St.Mary’s Community Centre118 Fisher Building. Colefax and Fowler. Interior design company, and others. The building is on the site of Falks Vertitas Gas Mantle Works which closed in 1972. Johan Gottl Stadelmann was registered as a mantle maker in Nurnburg in 1862. Salomon Falk came to London from Hochberg in around 1880 and has set up as a Manufacturer's Agent. The German "Veritas" trademark was owned by Jean Stadelmann & Co initially for gas lamp mantles. They later made lamps and cookers under the Veritas brand name. Falk Stadelmann & Co. between the wars. In early 1919 the Veritas Incandescent Mantle works, was opened on a 7 acre site. And noted for its modern automated machinery and a revolutionary technique of manufacture closed 1972
Albert House. This House dated 1620 was on the east side of the road south of Malva Road. It may have been the home of Everard Fawkener who was a local scarlet dyer in the early 18th. It was demolished in 1904 when it was part of Voelkers gas mantle factory. Some details are in the Museum of London. The Voelker Lighting Corporation had been set up partly by local chemical manufacturers Hopkins and Williams.
Cine world. In the Southside Centre. 14 screens
Wandsworth Old Burial Ground. Grassed over with a central footpath and an ornamental entrance. It was consecrated in 1808 opened by the parish and burials confined to one per grave. It has now been opened up to Garratt Lane with some sculptural pieces. It now includes some land transferred from Sainsbury’s.
Wandsworth Working Men’s Association for Promoting Useful Knowledge was opposite Wandsworth Museum 1838-early 1900s.
South MallSouthside. Shopping centre, partly a rebuild of the Arndale Centre
Sudbury House. This housing block rises above the Southside Centre. It is the tallest tower in the Arndale Centre, 25 storeys. It was built in 1975
Earlswood boxing clubWendelsworth. Local authority housing estate
Adkins Mill. Site of the earliest copper mill on the Wandle it stood on Garratt Lane opposite the end of Iron Mill Place. Built in 1654 and demolished in 1777 and replaced with an iron mill for James Henkell. In 1792 it was Henckell's iron works, and by 1820 Day's. It was also a forge, using water- powered tilt hammers and which produced wrought iron and cast shot, shells and cannon. They closed in 1832. In 1836 the Mill was converted to papermaking by Thomas Creswick 'paper and card maker to His Majesty'. He made playing cards, tinted and drawing paper. In 1854 taken over by William McMurray and by 1865 it had become MacMurray's Royal Paper Mills which supplied paper to the Times and the Illustrated London News. The paper was made from esparto grass from MvMurray’s estates in Spain and North Africa. The mill burnt down early in the 20th but was replaced and later taken over by Benham & Sons Ltd's engineering works whose buildings, now demolished, stood over the mill leat.
Bleach field - south of the mill in 1657 for Richard Pillett.
Blundell Spence candle factory was just south of Adkins mill. Chair for a long time was George Longstaff, a distinguished chemist. Longstaff Reading Rooms in West Hill library named for him

Hardwicks Way
Site of the manor house of Down Manor and was the smallest manor in the area held by Fitz Ansculf in 1086

King George’s Park
Park which also extends to the south.
Open Air Swimming pool. Opened by the mayor in 1938. Includes sun bathing terraces and a cafe.
Sports Pavilion, 1966 by the Borough Architect's Department. One-storeyed around a courtyard.
Wandle branched out to serve many mills in Wandsworth. New Cut left river here. There is a weir a little upstream.

Mapleton road
Storm relief aqueduct built 1887 and now demolished. This ran to the north and parallel of the road
The route of Surrey Iron Railway followed Garratt Lane to the corner of this road. The line would then have run under what is now the Arndale Centre. It crossed the Wandle on a wooden bridge here
Dye works on the site of the Wandsworth Business Centre north of the road. In the 1720s it was owned by Matthew Hebert from Exeter. By 1792 it was "Mr. Williamson’s dye houses" and by 1823 they were in the hands of Elizabeth Williamson, who was scarlet dyeing. Later it became a chemical works, then a paper mill, and by the early 20th the Wandle Colour Works of Freeman and Son until 1928. They made artists colours as well as ordinary paint, varnish and printers ink. The dye house is thought to have been demolished in 1887 when the storm relief aqueduct, was built.
Mr. Gardiner's calico printing works, which, employed 250 in 1792. By 1810 it was Messrs. Gardiner and Dixon.
Wandsworth Leisure Centre
Merton Road
Down Lodge. 18th house built 1783 for Henry Gardiner calico printer with a view over his bleaching grounds. Later home of A.F.Bainbridge, a partner in the Ram Brewery and of William Bulstrode, miller. Merton Road. There was a tannery in the grounds in 1705.
5 St. Michael Steiner School in St.Michael’s Church of England Primary School. London School Board type. West Hill Primary School. Wandsworth School’s Music.
141 Lord Palmerston, a nice later 19th stuccoed pub. Now flats
142 Sikh templeBrick column, with a little door in it, on the junction with Buckholt Road
155-159 Alexander House. Vitality. Amazing striped brick art deco building

Oakhill Road
St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School. Established 1875. rebuilt In 1995, With an ecological garden, and a music room lit by electricity generated by the Wandle

Putney Bridge Road
Was called Love Lane.
22-24 early c 18, and a few early 19th terrace houses, messed up by the railway line but still there.
Queen Adelaide Pub. Established as The Kings Head in 1706. Renamed 1830 when Adelaide became Queen.
30 The Wheatsheaf. Now closed.
64 The Hop Poles

Ram Street
The Route of Surrey Iron Railway ran down Ram Street which was built on its trackbed.
Salvation Army citadel built 1907
Young's Ram Brewery. The earliest mention of brewing is of Humphrey Langridge brewer at the Ram Inn. In 1670 Somerset Draper and his brother Humphrey took over. They sold it to Thomas Tritton who left it to his son, George, a banker, and Chair of the Surrey Iron Railway in 1802. In 1831 Charles Allen Young and Anthony Fothergill Bainbridge bought the brewery and a new beam engine was bought from Wentworths and remained in regular use until the early 1980s. The Ram trademark was registered in 1898. In 1962 John Allen Young, became chairman and promoted traditional draught beer. Young's acquired Foster-Probyn Ltd., an independent bottler, built a £5 million brew house and a new bottling line. In 2000 the beers won six medals and two championship trophies. A team of 24 shire horses was kept for deliveries of beer within a three-mile radius of the brewery and pulled the Lord Mayor's coach in the Lord Mayor's Show. Youngs had nearly 140 tied houses and made Draught Ordinary Bitter, Special Bitter, Best Malt Ale, Winter Warmer or Old Ale, Keg Bitter. Saxon Lager. Pale Ale and Ram Rod. On site were stone sleepers from the Surrey Iron Railway, and a painting in the managing director's office – as well as Ram Rod himself. There was a five-bay mid-Georgian red brick. In 2007 following Charles Young’s death the brewery was closed and moved
Well there was a deep well at the brewery from which local people could get water.
Stables, a c 19 stable block.
Ram Field was the end of the Surrey Iron Railway

St Ann’s Hill
Medieval tile kiln site. Found at the junction with the High Street. Probably belonged to Allfarthing Manor.
St Ann’s CofE primary school. School of industry for girls founded here 1800 and still operating as a primary school in its 1858 building.
190 Plowden and Smith. Artistic restoration specialists
200 Star and Garter

Sudlow Road
East of the road was an arm of the Wandle which was turned into a small dock 1838-1866 and filled in in 1960.

The Plain
Bolting cloth factory. This was on the west side, founded in 1814 and closed in 1919. The business had come from Exeter and used a 1783 patent of Benjamin Blackmore which made seamless cloth.
1-6 Church Row. Dated from 1723 these early Georgian houses have three storeys over basements. The centre house has with a sundial dated 1723.
7-9 are a later c 18 addition.
Fire station –original fire station was here until the 1860s.
Parish watch house and engine house - was also used as a mortuary, were also in the road

Wandle
The New Cut on the Wandle diverged from the river at a bend which is now in King George Parl. small bridge, crossed the New Cut, and which remained in the grounds of the open-air swimming baths. During 1958-63 the Wandle was re-channelled and culverted, and the New Cut filled in.


Wandsworth
Means 'Waendel's enclosure', - a personal name found also in Wendlebury and Wellingborough

Wandsworth High Street
This is on the line of the old main road to Portsmouth, which became the A3.
The route of Surrey Iron Railway crossed the High Street from the area which is now the Arndale Centre and went into Ram Street.
34 Antelope pub. This was previously the Red Lion which was there in 1658. Closed and gone.
52 The Lyric Picture Playhouse opened October 1912. In 1929, it was re-named New Lyric Cinema and also had variety shows for which two artistes dressing rooms were provided. It was re-named New Star Cinema in 1934, but closed in 1935. The building has since been demolished. 52-60 Wandsworth Palace. This was opened as the Palace Theatre, a purpose built cinema, in 1920. In December 1924, a Compton 2Manual/5Ranks organ was installed, opened by organist Ernest Smith. In 1928 it was taken over by United Picture Theatres circuit and was Gaumont British Theatres from 1930. It closed in September 1940 and re-opened in May 1942 and then in 1958 it was re-named Gaumont Theatre. It was closed by the Rank Organisation in 1961 with and converted into bingo which closed in 1979. In 1982 it was used as a church. In 1992 it opened as a nightclub called the Theatre.
59 Friends Meeting House. The original building was on this site in 1673 and built by local fishermen. The present building dates from 1778 and is the oldest Quaker meeting house in London as a humble brick rectangle. The facade was renewed in 1927 and the interior restored to its original condition around 1980. It also has a secluded burial ground.
71 The Spread Eagle. First noted in 1664 this was the principal inn in the town in the 18th. It is Where the Surrey Iron Railway annual general meetings were held, as were sessions of the county court, but was rebuilt in the late 19th and retains wood and glasswork. There was once a drinking fountain outside.
Spread Eagle Assembly Rooms. Built in 1890 this was designed by Keith D. Young, and designed for light entertainment and music hall. It was licensed as a theatre from 1900 as the Wandsworth Palace of Varieties and in 1908 became a cinema, called Picture Palladium and in 1916 The Court Cinema. Closed in 1931. The building was later used as a warehouse for glass and china, a car showroom, a tobacco warehouse and an ironmongers. It was in civil defence use during World War II, and after the war, Young's Brewery used it to store beer crates. It was restored in 1998 and has since remained empty.
73 National Westminster Bank102 behind here were malthouses until 1898130 White Swan pub. First mentioned in 1550. Closed and gone
134 Rose and Crown, which had a horse trough outside itThe Bull pub was on the riverside opposite the Ram Brewery. It was a Young’s pub destroyed in Second World War bombing.
Dutch Yard stood south of the street and was probably the site of a late 17th for John de Raed.
James Yard was back from the High Street on the west bank of the Wandle. Now under the Arndale Centre. James had an iron mill to the south.
South Thames College. Built as a technical institute by the L.C.C. architect, G. Topham Forrest in 1926. It was opened by Queen Mary in 1937 and the key she used is in the member's library. The Site had previously been that of the Parsonage.
Wandsworth Town Hall and Council Offices. There have been four phases of building here over a century. The first town hall of red brick and Dumfries stone was built by Wandsworth vestry 1879-81. Designed by George Patrick it had offices and a public hall. It was demolished in the 1970s following bomb damage. It had an unusual recessed carriage way, later enclosed. An extension was designed by the Borough Surveyor, Ernest J. Elford, in an unpretentious style. In 1935 the Council agreed a large Modern, style office block on a corner site adjoining the hall, planned as the centrepiece of a town redevelopment by architect Edward A. Hunt. It is triangular and planned around a courtyard and with forecourt gardens. There is a frieze around the outside showing Wandsworth's history undertaken by D Evans and John Lanehan. Inside is a lavish entrance hall lined and paved in onyx panels, with a spiky pattern bronze balustrade. There is a polygonal first floor council chamber. In 1973 Culpin & Partners added a modern brick office extension on the site of the original building.
Public baths. These were opened in 1901 with two pools and slipper baths and which could be floored over and used as an Assembly Hall in the winter. There was a Club room and Water came from an artesian well. Closed in 1968 and the site is under the Arndale Centre.
All Saints Church. Built by Westminster Abbey for their tenants here but nothing is visible of their medieval church. It was named in 1234 by John de Panoma. It has a modest brick tower; the lower part dating from 1630, – now the oldest building in the parish - and the upper parts added in 1841 and restored in 1955 after war damage. The church itself was rebuilt in 1779-80 by William Jupp, was altered with a new roof in 1899-1900. Monuments: Brass to Nicholas Maudyt, 1420, in armour but with the head missing; Henry Smith f 1627, kneeling in profile against a niche flanked by columns; Susanna Powell 1630; brass of 1420 to soldier.
Down Lodge Hall. Built in 1883 as a mission hall to commemorate visit of Sankey and Moody.
Methodist Chapel. Wesley preached in Gilbert's house in 1795 and baptised two slaves. Used by the Primitive Methodists until 1957.
68 Ram Inn which is now called the Brewery Tap. It dates from at least 1550. It was rebuilt in 1883, which is recorded by a plaque on the building.
Wandsworth Bridge, to the left of the crossing, was already a stone bridge in 1569, but could have been Roman. Has been rebuilt several times since: in 1602 following a legend that Elizabeth I had to ford it, in 1757 when it was widened and again in 1820 for the turnpike road. Then again in 1912.

West Hill
St Thomas a Becket Roman Catholic Church which was designed by Edward Goldie and is listed Grade II. A mission was established in 1841, rooms above the George and Dragon Pub., a small church, designed by Pugin, and was built in 1847 replaced by the present church in 1893.
Library, opened in 1885 in Putney Lodge. A reading room was added as a gift from D.G.Longstaff. The Longstaff room was kept when the library was rebuilt in 1937. Gates removed in the Second World War,
The De Morgan Centre for the work by William De Morgan, the Victorian ceramic artist and his wife Evelyn, the painter. In 2002, it was rehoused at the former West Hill Reference Library which dates from 1887.
Putney Lodge was on the site of the library. It was the home of, horticulturalist, Sigismund Rucker until the 1880s. It had been built by Henry Goodwin. Had a well outside and the building was frequently waterlogged
Lebanon House was opposite the library with a cedar tree in the grounds.
Police Station dates from 1883, it included a magistrate’s court which was very small and it moved in 1892.
The Sword House stood on the site of the current police station. It was a 16th house demolished in 1875. It is said that an owner, a survivor of Culloden, decorated it with salvaged Highland swords.
Convent of the Sacred Heart
Police Station which has been here since 1892. Current building 1955.

York Road
The Route of the Surrey Iron Railway Crossed York Road and then followed the Wandle to the Thames.
York Road, was the lower or 'summer' road to London, and called Slough Lane
Memorial to the Surrey Iron Railway with a plaque and sleepers. Which disappeared in the 1960s. Until the 1930s, there was a kerb of sleepers right down York Road from the Ram Inn to the dock


Sources
Osborne. Defending London

Friday, 26 November 2010

Thames Tributary Wandle - Earlsfield

Thames Tributary Wandle
The Wandle continues to flow northwards towards the Thames


Busy urban area along a stretch of the river Wandle and the outskirts of Wandsworth

Post to the north Wandsworth
Post to the south Earlsfield


Algarve Road
Premier Electric Theatre. Built 1910, renamed the Rex in 1950 closed in 1960 and demolished in 1988 after used for bingo.

Balvernie Grove
Laid out in the 1860s and 1870s

Bendon Valley
Riverside Business Centre. Possibly on the site of 19th card and pasteboard factory
Earlsfield Business Centre Fords Food Factory. Feedstuffs for dogs, horses, poultry, and geese burnt down in 1897.
Wickens Pease fat boiling work, in 1889. Care taken to cut down the smell.
Chemical manure factory south of the road

Brookwood Road
Development south of here from 1891

Cargill Road
Route of the Surrey Iron Railway. The line of the back fences is roughly that of the Surrey Iron Railway indicating a diversion to the west to get round Willow Close

Duntshill Road
Preserves the old name ‘Duntshill’ which was earlier ‘Duneshull’ the "hill of the manor called Done or Dune.

Esparto Road
Esparto was used as a raw material for paper making at the Mcurray paper mills.

Flock Mill Place
Earlsfield Mill. Flats in what was the Kenco Coffee Works was one of a number of mills there. It was the southernmost of two or three water-powered textile printing factories, and probably the one occupied in 1805 by Mr.Howard of Phipps Bridge. In 1831 to 1850 it was a parchment works, and by the 1890s this one was Duntshill Mills, producing flock for the Wandsworth Flock Company who were there from 1868. The surviving building is late 19th. Also horsehair manufacture

Garratt Lane
The Route of the Surrey Iron Railway followed Garratt Lane but left it briefly near the junction with Earlsfield Road and rejoined at Vanderbilt Road.
Garratt Lane. Preserving the name of a tenement called le Garret of the 16th from Old French gorite ‘a watchtower'.
170 Wandsworth Volunteer Bureau Upper Wandle house. There is a plaque on the building
204 Grosvenor Arms 206 Gatto tools 214 Jolly Gardeners pub which is now a restaurant ealth. pub which hadpub which pub
220 Bendon Valley House Hospital Child Health Department
249 Brocklebank Health Centre 332 The Puzzle, renamed he Wandle
St.John the Divine. Unpretentious brick building of 1935, Anglican
St.Gregory RC church. The parish was an extension of St Thomas's at Wandsworth and an anonymous benefactor bought the land and paid for the first church here. It opened in 1904 on the 13th centenary of the death of St. Gregory the Great. The parish was very poor and the priest tried to revive the Bridgettine Order here. The church was destroyed by bombing in 1944 and this is marked by a sign. It was rebuilt in 1956.
Priston Works. This was near the corner of Vanderbilt Street and its cobbled entrance marked the line of the Surrey Iron Railway
Voltaire flats in converted Wandle School. Big London School Board School with Lots of decorative plaques and decoration

Granville Road
This was previously a footpath called The Great Baulk meaning a headland between fields
23 Entryphone
Haldane Place
Airfix Industries 1950s-1970s made plastic kits for toys, etc
Kimber Road
54 The Kimber Centre. Joe Macari servicing Ferrari and Maserati cars.
55 East retail warehouse for women’s clothing
60 Mander and Germain marble specialists.
75 Natural History Library, Entomological Library

King George’s Park
Opened in 1921 on a site bought for use as a tip – the idea was to help with local unemployment. It was to be called Southfields Park but this changed when it was opened in 1923 by King George. Area previously used for bleach field and farming.

Knaresborough Drive
Army Forms Depot

Lavenham Road
Developed from 1899
St.Barnabas. Built 1906-8 by C. Ford Whitcombe. Large red brick church built over undercroft

Merton Road
265 OK Sauce! An office block in white faience designed by Percy Sharp. It was also known as the George Mason & Co factory. Built in 1928 in Art Deco style. Brick. Sauce production ended in 1968 and the building was acquired by "Autocue".
212 Park Tavern. Former horse bus terminus
260-262 The Earl Spencer
268 Gardeners Arms
288-290 Southfields battery service. Art deco garage
333 Southfields community college
351 Territorial Army City of London Signals Regiment. Territorial Army building is the site of Dunsford Manor House. The manor held land in the south west part of Wandsworth. It was owned by Merton Priory. The Tudor lords were the Smith family and then from 1664 the Brodericks who rose in four generations from being a Tudor embroiderer to a viscount. They are still there.
Housing scheme – Merton, Cumber, Acuba and Mastin houses were part of a clearance scheme of 1929 to clear Wandsworth Plain by the local authority. Opened 1895. Mastin House is named after the collier Wandle's Captain in commemoration of war service when she fought off a U boat attack. Wandsworth Gas Company.Opened 1895.
Cannon health club Riverside primary school. Riverside Primary School, 1890-1 by T. J. Bailey. asymmetrical three-decker with gables and turret.
United Service Transport. Former bus garage
Southfields Palace cinema. Built 1909 stood on the corner with Standen Road
Coronation Gardens. Original entrance gates

Penwith Road
Laid out in the 1860s and 1870s
Two artificial channels in the Wandle under the bridge

Pirbright road
Coronation Gardens. Opened by the Mayor of Wandsworth in July 1903 for the coronation of Edward VII a year earlier. The land had been given by Sir William Lancaster, mayor a year before. Horse chestnut trees and a granite drinking fountain with Art Nouveau-style bowl and ornamental railings were donated by his sisters

Standen Road
Laid out in the 1860s and 1870s
Frame food factory. An amazing Art Nouveau former sweet and baby food factory designed in 1904 by W. T. Walker. In green, white, and blue glazed brick which says ‘Nourish and Flourish’, plus a domed tower at either end. Later part of Benham catering equipment manufactures,

St Johns Drive
Henry Prince Estate through three archways. Opened 1938 and called after local councillor who worked for decent working class homes.
Site of Firework factory.
Site of Harrison Barber horse slaughters

Swaffield Road
Area laid out 1885

The Baulk
A footpath marking a headland between two fields

Wandle
Long sidewater loop off the Wandle which left south of Duntshill Mills and returned near Haldane Road. It was straightened and called the New Cut but filed in in 1967. It may well have been the original course of the river .

Willow Tree Close
There was a Willow Close around which the Surrey Iron Railway made a diversion to the west

Wimbledon Park Road
Line of a footpath between Wandsworth and Wimbledon
St.Michael and All Angels. Built 1897- 1905 to designs by architect E. W. Mountford. Now united with St.Stephen

Sources
British History online. Wandsworth
Bayliss. The Surrey Iron Railway
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Davis. Industries of Wandsworth
Gerhold. Wandsworth Past
GLIAS Newsletter
London Borough of Wandsworth, Web site
Loobey. Cinemas and Theatres of Wandsworth
Saxby. The Mills of the River Wandle
St. Gregory. Web site
St Michael. Web site
Wandle Industrial Museum. Web site
Wandsworth Historical Society, web site

Monday, 22 November 2010

Thames Tributary Wandle - Earlsfield

Thames Tributary Wandle – the Wandle continues to flow northwards to the Thames

Busy urban and industrial area alongside the Wandle and in an area north of Wimbledon

Post to the north Earlsfield
Post to the south Haydon's Road


Arthur Road
On the Kingston Zodiac this is near Scorpio’s claw.
97 pretty garden with lawns, a pond and a rose arch with a mulberry tree.
Wimbledon Park Station. Opened in June 1889 and was built for the Fulham Extension Railway. It is now between Southfields and Wimbledon on the District Line. The building is the twin of Southfields Station except it faces the other way.
112 The Tennis Gallery
Christ the King. Roman Catholic Church. At one time Jesuit priests worked locally and this church was built as a chapel-of-ease. A church called St.Austin’s was started but by 1913 it was covered by corrugated iron and known as the Tank. The present church was designed by Gilbert Scott and was completed in 1928 and named Christ the King,
Wimbledon Park Hall. Old library building standing unused and semi derelict.

Brooklands Avenue
Durnsford Road Recreation Ground – an ‘underwhelming’ and ‘little known’ space

Durnsford Avenue
49 Little Hall Gardens. Nursery School in an old church building

Durnsford Road
432 Methodist - Wesleyan Central Hall - Southfields Church. Built 1953 after demolition of the old central hall. The trustees of the church at Colliers Wood commissioned a mural by the young German artist Hans Feibush, who came to England as a refugee in the 1930s. It depicts Christ washing the disciples' feet and as his first religious mural in Britain created considerable interest and some controversy. When the church was taken over by the NCH the mural was moved to
Southfields
Wimbledon Train Care Depot. Advanced maintenance facility for South West Trains.
Wimbledon Train Viaduct
Wimbledon Railway Power Station. Built in 1913 to supply electricity to the electric train system by the London and South West Railway. Built in red brick on the up side of the main line and near the Wandle. It had a boiler house with 16 Babcock and Wilcox boilers and a bunker for 1,400 tons of coal reached by a siding on a viaduct. There was a turbine set and a switchgear section, cooling towers adjoined the river and there were two brick chimneys. It was badly bombed in 1940 and lost a chimney. In 1950 8it was decided to replace it and it was eventually demolished in 1965 the chimneys felled in February
New railway car sheds built here by the London and South West Railway to house 84 three car units constructed at their workshops at Eastleigh for the electric service cleaning and inspection sheds were adjacent.
260-170 Wimbledon mosque built 1977 but dating from the late 19th. It is of a traditional and simple white tiled design with two domed towers at front of the building.
222 Woodman. Current building is 1898,
Woodman Bridge

Woodside Grange
Wimbledon Park Farm also called Manor Farm

Garratt Park
Garratt Park became a public park ‘for children’s recreation’ in 1906. It the area of the grounds of Garratt House. Before 1900 area of fields with a millstream between the park and the current allotments site. There was also a big mill pond east of the river. The Council acquired the land for a tip but let it out for grazing. Earlsfield Rifle Club built a range here. In 1905 clay from East Hill sewers work was used to raise the riverbanks and fill in streams and ponds. In 1970 a bend in the Wandle was straightened.

Groton road
Industrial area alongside the river, included a 19th soap works. Many interesting looking buildings
Jack Beard’s in the Fog. Originally called the Country House. 'The Fog' was a name given by those who called in on their way home and then claimed to be delayed by the fog. Refitted in 1930 with its three bars and original fittings, dumb waiter and three gaslight fittings.

Merton Road
479-481 Pig and Whistle. Young’s pub

Pitt Crescent,
101 Small garden planted with ornamental trees, vine-covered pergola and an arbour of apple and pear trees.

Ravensbury Terrace
Big industrial site alongside the river with old looking buildings and yard. Now a trading estate.

Riverside Road
Calico Printing Works in 1776 the site was occupied by Coleman, Newton and Cuffley, calico printers. By 1823 it5 was occupied by Fort and Newton also calico printers but the property was for sale in 1827 when it consisted of a warehouse, a dye house a bleaching house, drying house, coal shed, an engine house, with a 20 horse power steam engine, and a dwelling house, with greenhouse, garden, and grounds. In 1835 the premises was occupied by Anthony Heath, calico printer, at "Garratt print works" and in 1850 he employed 40 men. There were further occupiers until 1885 when the site was taken over by the Corruganza Manufacturing Company, cardboard box makers, operated by Hugh Stevenson & Sons Limited with a head office in Manchester. During the First World War they also began to operate the Merton Board Mills. However there were several fires some very serious in 1924 and later in 1964. Hugh Stevenson and Sons Limited operated the works until about 1971, when they were amalgamated with Bowaters who left the site in 1989, and it is now occupied by several small commercial and industrial firms.

Ryfold Road
The road was developed in the early 20th by a Mr. Ryan and a Mr. Penfold.
St.Luke’s church. Built 1909 by T G Jackson In brick, with a half-timbered porch.
War memorial in the church grounds

Summerley Street
Garratt House, demolished in 1890. Garratt House, stood on the corner with Trewint Street. This was the residence of the proprietors of Garratt Mills during the 18th and 19th

Trewint Street
Travellers site on the site of the mills
Garrett Mills. In 1653 this had been a gunpowder mill for Abel Richardson and James Lloyd. In 1600 they expanded and more mills built which became the largest supplier of gunpowder to the Ordnance and this continued until 1717 when one mill was used for snuff. In 1735 used as a linseed oil mill of Messrs. Were and Bush. - . Mr. Were's linseed oil and white lead mills" in the time of the Surrey Iron Railway and Robert and William Were and Richard Bush who were among the railway's promoters. In 1817 there was a 30ft wheel which "....turns a main shaft, which gives motion to a pair of vertical stones, raises the driving-beams, and turns a band which carries the seed, in small buckets, from the floor to the hopper". The driving-beams fell on to wedges to squeeze out the oil in a very noisy process’. From 1854 it was used for woolen manufacture. By 1867 the premises was a paper mill, later a bone mill and then leather. Henry Knight & Co manure and super phosphate. Later Wickens, Pease & Co. Ltd, manure and super phosphate 1900. The mill site at end where small bridge crosses the river. Site is the car park.
Millpond extended upstream to middle of Garratt Park earlier a fulling mill.
Council depot
Trewint Street Bridge

Vineyard Hill Road
1 garden with English roses, clematis, lupins, peonies and a wide variety of hardy geraniums. There is a covered arch to fruit trees protected by original 1899 120ft brick wall.

Wandle
Straightened in the 1970s for flood defence work. There remains an island and weir.


Weir Road
Many factory and trading sites

Wellington Road
Wimbledon Park Primary School

Sources
British History online. Wandsworth
Bayliss. The Surrey Iron Railway
Caine. The Kingston Zodiac
Christ the King. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Davis. Industries of Wandsworth
Gerhold. Wandsworth Past
GLIAS Newsletter
Jack Beards. Web site
London Borough of Wandsworth, Web site
Loobey. Cinemas and Theatres of Wandsworth
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pig and Whistle. Web site
Saxby. The Mills of the River Wandle
St Luke's Church. Web site
Wandle Industrial Museum. Web site
Wandsworth Historical Society, web site
Wandsworth Methodists. Web site
Wimbledon Mosque. Web site

Thursday, 18 November 2010

Thames Tributary – River Wandle - Haydons Road

Thames Tributary – River Wandle
The Wandle continues to flow north to the Thames


Post to the north Earlsfield
Post to the east Haydon's Road

Alexandra Road
B&Q and car parking alongside the District Line.

Ashcombe Road
Railway bridge over Southern Railway line from Haydon’s Road station

Brickfield Road
2 London Regional Office, Gypsy Council
Dora Road
Building started on the road after the arrival of the railway

Durnsford Road
Cecil’s 16th deer park extended to here from Wimbledon Common
New housing on the site of the Wimbledon power station and works.
Wimbledon Electricity works - Wimbledon Municipal Borough Council's Electricity Undertaking was authorised by an Electric Lighting Order in July 1897. Supply started from Durnsford Road Generating Station in 1899. In 1903 this extended to Merton, and in 1911 to Malden and Coombe. In 1923 a Hiring Department supplied domestic installations However in 1933 generating stations were moved to the Central Electricity Board. Some buildings still remain.
Durnsford Lodge. Big house later used as a hospital
Durnsford cottages

Haydons Road.
Apostolic Church of Christ / the United Church of Jesus Christ. Pentecostal apostolic church formally an Anglican building St.Peter built 1911-12 by Greenaway & Newberry in a Tall Early English style.
Church hall built in 1901

Home Park Road
Developed by Beaumont in 1847

Gap Road
Was previously called Hayden Park
Wimbledon Cemetery. Also known as Gap Road cemetery. It has two gothic chapels built in 1896 and a mortuary. Includes a Cooke Mausoleum, a Memorial to Belgian refugees and an Irish corner.
Poplar Court on the site of Wimbledon Isolation Hospital. 1906 – 1950, built by the Borough Council. By November 1949 it was virtually empty and was closed for further admissions in 1950
Gate posts and other structures may be from the isolation hospital.

Kenilworth Road
Building started on the road after the arrival of the railway

Leopold Road
Developed by Beaumont in 1847
Woodside Parade 1892
Wimbledon Park Parade 1899
Hicks Gallery - art gallery in domed shop at the end of a parade

Plough Lane
Reynolds housing estate is the site of the stadium used by Wimbledon Football Club which opened here before the First World War in an old dump. Left to go to Crystal Palace in 1991 and then off to Milton Keynes. In 1991, the club moved to Selhurst Park. But the site was used by the team until 1998. It was demolished in 2002, for housing

Queens Road
The Priory Church of England School. Large school building

Railway Line
Sidings west of Haydon’s Road Station to 1897 depot for Wimbledon Council.

Riverside Road
Area of trading estate and industries – bakery, joiners, etc.
10 Riverside Yard. Wimbledon Art Studios. Artists sky boat. Whicheloe Architects 2007
Wimbledon Generating Station and refuse destructor site

Streathearn Road
Building with 1909 date or the fascia
Vineyard Hill Road
Going up to Vineyard Hill where the Spencer house was
Weir Road
Trading estate and light industry
Woodside
113 site of Gap Lodge

Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Thames Tributary – River Wandle - Haydon's Road

Thames Tributary – River Wandle
The Wandle is joined by the Graveney and continues to flow north towards the Thames
.

Post to the west Haydon's Road
Post to the south Colliers Wood

Blackshawe Road
Hazelhurst Estate - built by Borough of Wandsworth and designed by Basil Hughes, 1953. Built by Taylor Woodrow.
Chillingworth House. Listed. 15 floors built 1973. Local authority housing
Hayesend House listed. 15 floors 1973. Local authority housing.
Summerstown Mission Evangelical Church
Alfred Hurley House
Lambeth Cemetery
. Developed by a parish burial board in 1854 following the Metropolitan Burial Act of 1852. It has a rectangular grid of paths was built east of the River Wandle in what was then countryside. There are two lodges in Blackshaw Road and a memorial chapel designed by F.K.Wehnert and J.Ashdown. The cemetery was extended to the south in 1874 laid out by Hugh Mcintosh, the building contractor. A Crematorium and Garden of Remembrance were opened in 1969 at the northern end. A War Memorial screen was dedicated in 1953 and a memorial to people killed in a Kennington air raid shelter in 1940. The site was cleared and is now lawns with straight paths and 20th gravestones and the old stones have been taken down. The crematorium is like a municipal block. Dan Leno is buried there. There are said to be two unexploded bombs.

Chesham Road
This road now appears to have become the northern end of Kemble Road
Tooting and Merton brickworks on the Merton side of the railway line in the 19th.

Copper Mill Lane
Road named because of the copper mill at the end
Mill workers cottages, built at the end of the 19th by Mr. Chuter of the leather works.
Wimbledon Electricity Sub Station. Nearby is the end of the London Electricity Board cable tunnel from Pimlico
Wimbledon Mill - Garratt Copper Mills. There has been a Mill on this since site 1114. In the early 17th it was a fulling mill leased to a John de Cromwell and he was the site is succeeded by his son Walter which dated from 1416 and used until 1634. It became an iron mill in 1634 making iron plates to turn into kettles and frying pans. They were already working copper from 1712. It was run by Dutch immigrants, the Messrs. Henckell in 1792. By 1810 Mr. Benjamin Paterson had taken over. Although they were close to the Surrey Iron Railway, there is no evidence of a connection. The largest copper vessel made here was of 4 tons 20' diameter made for brewing beer. In the 19th the mill and surrounding land was owned by Edward Pontifex, whose firm Pontifex Brothers continued production of copper until 1887, and was replaced by Chuters Chamois and White Leather Works. They continued to use the waterwheel until the 1950s for washing leather. There are some modern works on the site, and some older buildings in a yard. Closed in 1968 and demolished.
Mill dam

Cowdray Road
Marks the site of Cowdrays farm. Sold off to developers and the majority of 340 acres bought by National Freehold Land Society.

Cranmer Terrace
This is the northern end of Tooting Grove which has now been cut off to allow hospital development.
St George's Hospital and Medical School. The drive follows the line of Tooting Grove.
Fountain Hospital opened in 1893 in what was then Tooting Grove during an outbreak of scarlet fever, by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as an annexe to the Grove Fever Hospital. It was called after a fountain designed as a boy with a tortoise on his back - symbolising the handicapped children who lived there. At first it had 400 beds in wooden huts been built in nine weeks by T. W. Aldwinkle. . There were 8 ward blocks in pairs along a covered walkway and arrangements for isolation of infected admissions. There was also accommodation for staff, workshops and a mortuary. In it reopened as a mental hospital for 'unimprovable imbeciles' and was renamed the Fountain Mental Hospital. In 1917, a school was started and those who could attended. Children spent the maximum time outdoors and, in fine weather and all meals were served outdoors. In 1930 the LCC took over control and in 1944, a flying bomb destroyed much of the site and it was hoped that the old huts, built to last ten years and by then 55 years old, would be replaced. But in 1959 the children were transferred to Queen Mary's Hospital in Carshalton. The Fountain Hospital closed in 1963, and the buildings were handed over to St George's Hospital and were eventually demolished.
The Grove Fever Hospital built for the Metropolitan Asylums Board immediately southwest of the Fountain Hospital. It opened in km 1899 with buildings by A. Hessell Tiltman, and an entrance in Tooting Grove opposite the entrance to the Fountain Hospital. It included arrangements for isolating infected patients and there were specialist blocks for scarlet fever, diphtheria and enteric fever patients. There was a laundry, staff accommodation, recreation grounds, Medical Superintendent's house, mortuary and medical education block. In 1916 it became the Grove Military Hospital with Sections for diseases, TB scabies, and venereal disease. In 1920 it reverted to its role as a fever hospital taken over by LCC in 1930. In 1932 Dr Joseph Bramhall Ellison discovered the efficacy if vitamin A in measles here. In the Second World War air-raid casualties were treated and there was some bomb damage. In 1951 patients from St George's Hospital at Hyde Park began to be admitted and by 1954 it became the Tooting branch of St George's and was renamed. Most of the Grove Hospital buildings were demolished in the 1970s, but two original ward blocks survive, plus some nurses' accommodation
St.George’s Hospital. There is a complex by from the 1960s by Watkins Gray Woodgate International, which followed the move of St George's Hospital from Hyde Park Corner to here. The Hyde Park site dated from 1733, at Lanesborough House and was a leading teaching hospital. The decision to move to Tooting dates from 1950. The first Medical School buildings were opened in 1976 and the Lanesborough ward block in 1980. The Jenner Wing in 1984 and St James Wing in 1988. In 2003 with the Atkinson Morley Wing moved here for neurology and cardiac care facilities.
Bronze bust of John Hunter by Sir Alfred Gilbert 1893which had been over the hospital door at Hyde Park.
Recovery - Nude Man. Originally on the lawn outside the outpatients' department at St.James's hospital and moved in 1988. A sculpture, bronze nude by Douglas Wain-Hobson, 1954
Tooting Gardens. Opened 1912 by Wandsworth Borough Council

Fountain Road
Anderson House. Council flats of 1932 as part of the Council's slum clearance programme in Tooting. Rev JHA Anderson, was rector of Tooting and independent member of the Council and an LCC councillor. He was Mayor of Wandsworth in 1904-05.
Fountain Road recreation ground. The site had been a clay quarry for brickworks. In 1898 the quarry was replaced by the Council's dust destructor, until it was demolished in 1930. It had a chimney 153ft high. The land was then sealed and it became a recreation ground. The playground is on the site of a clinker dump.

Garfield Road
Recreation ground

Garratt Lane
Streatham Cemetery. Lodge. Opened 1892 by the local authority
Bells farm

Graveney
Graveney River. – Only major tributary of the Wandle. The name is a back-formation from the manorial name found in Tooting Graveney. It rises at Upper Norwood). Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876.

Haydons Road
End of the road from Wandsworth to Merton. Area laid out on farmland in the late 19th with respectable working class homes.
Haydon family from Merton. George Haydon acquired Cowdray’s farm in 1746. The track from Merton High Street to the farm was Cowdrays Lane but that changed to Haydon’s Lane renamed Haydon’s Road around 1870 as the area was suburbanised.
Haydons Road Station. 1st October 1868. Between Tooting and Wimbledon on Thameslink and on Southern Trains. Tooting Wimbledon and Merton Loop - a joint line by London Brighton and South Coast and London South Western providing one of two lines to Wimbledon. Opened as ‘Haydons Lane’ in 1889 name was changed to Haydon’s Road. In 1938 the station was rebuilt with new wooden buildings and an office passimeter booking office. In the 1980s it was again rebuilt in brick and tile and neo-vernacular style.
Goods yard. Enlarged in 1938.
Signal box went out of use in 1938 when the station was renovated.

Hazlehurst Road
Smallwood Primary School and Language Unit. In three decker turreted LSB type school. This was opened in 1893 as a girls’ and infants’ school

Kenlon Road
The Graveney runs down the south side of it
Kiln Close
On site of brickworks in Fountain Road

Mead Path
This was an old path predating the iron railway
The route of the Surrey Iron Railway followed Mead Path to Wimbledon Road. It would have run alongside the Lambeth Cemetery wall where there is a ditch beside the path.
Boundary marker where the cemetery wall changes to an iron fence. The boundary followed the footpath, which was diverted to follow the Surrey Iron Railway
Wandle Meadow was the Wandle valley Joint Sewage Works. Built on the site of what had been water meadows, once part of a royal game reserve stretching between Merton Abbey and Wandsworth. The works had with its own rail lines. Built 1877 plus a depot by Wimbledon Council. Closed 1971 and now disused and seen as site of nature interest. Redesignated as Wandle Meadow

Plough Lane
This was once a lane which left the track going to Haydon’s Farm and went off in the direction of the Plough Pub which was on the other side of the Wandle. Has become in the early 21st a series of trading estates and big shed stores.
Stadium. Dog Track. Now the only dog track left in London. Was also once used for speedway racing.
Plough pub. Closed and possibly demolished

Railway Line
Sidings opposite Lambeth Cemetery for interchange with Wandle Valley Sewage Board which had its own locomotive.

Summerstown
It is first called this on a map of 1823, probably because of a family called Summer who are recorded locally from the 17th. .,. The area was earlier known as ‘Garratt’.
The Surrey Iron Railway ran along the road
10 The Corner Pin
The Prince of Wales
99 Hare and Hounds
. This was once called The White Lion
Gothic House with the Conservative Party in it. Carlos cafe in the extension

Waterside Way
New road running west of the Wandle with industrial and trading units,

Wimbledon Road
St Clement Dane almshouses now called Diprose Lodge. It is within a walled estate and now owned by the Borough of Merton. Dated 1848. By R Heskett in Gothic Revival style. The charity was founded by St. Clement Danes church in Westminster and known as the Holborn Charity which had acquired a number of almshouses c 1700 on a site now occupied by the Law Courts. In the 1840's the Trustees decided to build a block containing forty almshouses, with a Chapel, bath house and laundry in Garratt Lane.
Summerstown mission
46 St Mary. Built 1903-4 by G. Pinkerton, replacing an earlier c 19 chapel for the hamlet of Summerstown. In red brick with glass by Morris & Co. to Burne Jones designs. It replaced an earlier church on the corner of Garrett Lane and Summerstown,

Saturday, 13 November 2010

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney - Tooting Junction

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney
The Graveney continues to flow north west towards the Wandle following the railway line.


Post to the west Colliers Wood
Post to the east Gorringe Park


Alexandra Road
The Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road where there is now a wooded space.

Cavendish Road
Early Years Nursery

Clarendon Road
Colliers Wood Recreation Ground

Clive Road
Colliers Wood House was on the site of the lower numbers in this road and Warren Road. Demolished 1904.

Colliers Wood High Street
The line of the Graveney crosses the road and a stream also ran along the side of the road which is now culverted.

Courtney Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the southern edge of the road
Fortescue School, now housing

Devonshire Road
Merton Abbey Loop line ran parallel and south of the road

Finborough Road
On the line of the Merton Abbey loop line

Flanders Crescent
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road

Fleming Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road

Fortescue Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the southern edge of the road

Longley Road
The Graveney runs parallel and south of the road46, (then 24) plaque to Sir Harry Lauder 1870-1950. 'Music hall artist lived here 1903-1911' . Plaque erected 1969.
72 plaque to Harry Tate aka Ronald MacDonald Hutchinson which says 'music hall comedian lived here'. Plaque erected 1984.
Tooting Junction Baptist Church

London Road
London Road Cemetery run by LB Merton, also called Figges Marsh Cemetery. Opened 1929. Includes some gypsy tombs and one of totter, Albert Sparrowhawk.

Lyveden Road
The Graveney runs north of this roadMerton Abbey Loop line passed across the southern end of the road.

Mitcham Road
Amen Corner – the name seems to relate to a church in the area
River Graveney – the original course was to 'Tooting Lower Bridge' which was at the junction with Renmuir Street from where it ran west. The culverting scheme was undertaken in 1921, and Halls of Croydon had the contract for the cement. It is named for the Gravenal familyW.H.Smith, outfitters, were still using a rapid wire system in 1977
Railway Bell. The pub stands on the borough boundaries – at one time the Surrey/London boundary with different licencing hours for the two authorities.
Tooting Station. Opened on 1st October 1868 it stands between Streatham and Haydon’s Road on Thameslink and on Southern Trains. It was built by the Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon Railway -a joint line by London Brighton and South Coast and London South Western providing two lines to Wimbledon. It was originally called 'Tooting Junction' to the west of the current site. In 1894 it was resited with a red brick building and a tiled entrance. In 1917 the Merton Abbey line was suspended and in 1929 it closed. In 1937 the .name was changed to ‘Tooting’. The Thameslink line to Wimbledon runs underneath.
The original station - South Tooting Junction Station was west of the current Tooting Station and it was close to the junction of the line from Merton Abbey. It became a private house south of Longley Road which incorporated the booking office and other station facilities and was accommodation for the Station Master. Reorganisation in 1984 swept away Station Masters and the former station house became disused. In 1993 it was restored as offices.
Goods Yard - facilities at Tooting Junction were withdrawn in 1968 and the track lifted.
Tooting HallPolice Station – huge art deco police building

Myrna Close
Built on the line of old railway to Merton Abbey

Robinson Road
The Graveney runs north of this road and parallel with the railway.

Sellincourt Road
Sellincourt Primary School. Large London School Board style school

Shrewsbury Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed the northern end of the road

Singleton Close
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the line of the close and remains as a cycle path on one side. The close covers the area of much of the through tracks and sidings of the Tooting Junction goods yard, the depot structures replaced by flats.

Swains Lane
Swains Farm stood at the bend in the road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern end of the road

Tudor Place
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road

Tooting High Street
Waterfall House at the Longley Road corner. It is a 19th listed house now a dentist.
Waterfall Terrace
The Graveney runs south of the road parallel to the railway

Monday, 8 November 2010

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney - Gorringe Park

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney
The Graveney flows north west but then turns south


Post to the west Tooting
Post to the east Streatham Common


Ascot Road
First in an alphabetic sequence of road names
The Graveney flows parallel and west of it

Beclands Road
Furzedown Primary School

Eastbourne Road
One of an alphabetic sequence of road names
The Graveney flows parallel under it

Fallsbrook Road
The Graveney flows parallel and south of it

Gorringe Park Avenue
St.Barnabas. Socking great church built in 1914 by Henry Philip Burke-Downing. Listed grade II
Church Hall. Built 1908 by the same architect as the church

Mitcham Lane
Roe Bridge. At one time maintained by the Merchant Taylors Company
260 Mitcham Lane Baptist Church. Built 1902 by George Baines and R P Baines. A Perpendicular Gothic building in red brick. Listed.
276 Mitcham Ichthus Fellowship church. Late 20th church building
StJames Church Anglican. Another Victorian church

Mitcham Road
The Graveney turns south from Seeley Road and runs under the pavement on the east side of the road, which is also the boundary line for the Borough.Police station. Huge 1930s moderne building on the site of a golf club house.

Moyser Road
Laid out in the grounds of Furzedown House early 20th.

Rural Way
The road name is in an alliterating pair with Rustic Avenue
The Graveney flows parallel and south of it

Seeley Road
The Graveney flows parallel and north of it
Southcroft Road Link
The Graveney flows parallel and south of it

Streatham Road
Trading Estate

Welham road
Church Hall for the Baptist Church