Thames Tributary – River Wandle
The Wandle is joined by the Graveney and continues to flow north towards the Thames.
Post to the west Haydon's Road
Post to the south Colliers Wood
Hazelhurst Estate - built by Borough of Wandsworth and designed by Basil Hughes, 1953. Built by Taylor Woodrow.
Chillingworth House. Listed. 15 floors built 1973. Local authority housing
Hayesend House listed. 15 floors 1973. Local authority housing.
Summerstown Mission Evangelical Church
Alfred Hurley House
Lambeth Cemetery. Developed by a parish burial board in 1854 following the Metropolitan Burial Act of 1852. It has a rectangular grid of paths was built east of the River Wandle in what was then countryside. There are two lodges in Blackshaw Road and a memorial chapel designed by F.K.Wehnert and J.Ashdown. The cemetery was extended to the south in 1874 laid out by Hugh Mcintosh, the building contractor. A Crematorium and Garden of Remembrance were opened in 1969 at the northern end. A War Memorial screen was dedicated in 1953 and a memorial to people killed in a Kennington air raid shelter in 1940. The site was cleared and is now lawns with straight paths and 20th gravestones and the old stones have been taken down. The crematorium is like a municipal block. Dan Leno is buried there. There are said to be two unexploded bombs.
This road now appears to have become the northern end of Kemble Road
Tooting and Merton brickworks on the Merton side of the railway line in the 19th.
Copper Mill Lane
Road named because of the copper mill at the end
Mill workers cottages, built at the end of the 19th by Mr. Chuter of the leather works.
Wimbledon Electricity Sub Station. Nearby is the end of the London Electricity Board cable tunnel from Pimlico
Wimbledon Mill - Garratt Copper Mills. There has been a Mill on this since site 1114. In the early 17th it was a fulling mill leased to a John de Cromwell and he was the site is succeeded by his son Walter which dated from 1416 and used until 1634. It became an iron mill in 1634 making iron plates to turn into kettles and frying pans. They were already working copper from 1712. It was run by Dutch immigrants, the Messrs. Henckell in 1792. By 1810 Mr. Benjamin Paterson had taken over. Although they were close to the Surrey Iron Railway, there is no evidence of a connection. The largest copper vessel made here was of 4 tons 20' diameter made for brewing beer. In the 19th the mill and surrounding land was owned by Edward Pontifex, whose firm Pontifex Brothers continued production of copper until 1887, and was replaced by Chuters Chamois and White Leather Works. They continued to use the waterwheel until the 1950s for washing leather. There are some modern works on the site, and some older buildings in a yard. Closed in 1968 and demolished.
Marks the site of Cowdrays farm. Sold off to developers and the majority of 340 acres bought by National Freehold Land Society.
This is the northern end of Tooting Grove which has now been cut off to allow hospital development.
St George's Hospital and Medical School. The drive follows the line of Tooting Grove.
Fountain Hospital opened in 1893 in what was then Tooting Grove during an outbreak of scarlet fever, by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as an annexe to the Grove Fever Hospital. It was called after a fountain designed as a boy with a tortoise on his back - symbolising the handicapped children who lived there. At first it had 400 beds in wooden huts been built in nine weeks by T. W. Aldwinkle. . There were 8 ward blocks in pairs along a covered walkway and arrangements for isolation of infected admissions. There was also accommodation for staff, workshops and a mortuary. In it reopened as a mental hospital for 'unimprovable imbeciles' and was renamed the Fountain Mental Hospital. In 1917, a school was started and those who could attended. Children spent the maximum time outdoors and, in fine weather and all meals were served outdoors. In 1930 the LCC took over control and in 1944, a flying bomb destroyed much of the site and it was hoped that the old huts, built to last ten years and by then 55 years old, would be replaced. But in 1959 the children were transferred to Queen Mary's Hospital in Carshalton. The Fountain Hospital closed in 1963, and the buildings were handed over to St George's Hospital and were eventually demolished.
The Grove Fever Hospital built for the Metropolitan Asylums Board immediately southwest of the Fountain Hospital. It opened in km 1899 with buildings by A. Hessell Tiltman, and an entrance in Tooting Grove opposite the entrance to the Fountain Hospital. It included arrangements for isolating infected patients and there were specialist blocks for scarlet fever, diphtheria and enteric fever patients. There was a laundry, staff accommodation, recreation grounds, Medical Superintendent's house, mortuary and medical education block. In 1916 it became the Grove Military Hospital with Sections for diseases, TB scabies, and venereal disease. In 1920 it reverted to its role as a fever hospital taken over by LCC in 1930. In 1932 Dr Joseph Bramhall Ellison discovered the efficacy if vitamin A in measles here. In the Second World War air-raid casualties were treated and there was some bomb damage. In 1951 patients from St George's Hospital at Hyde Park began to be admitted and by 1954 it became the Tooting branch of St George's and was renamed. Most of the Grove Hospital buildings were demolished in the 1970s, but two original ward blocks survive, plus some nurses' accommodation
St.George’s Hospital. There is a complex by from the 1960s by Watkins Gray Woodgate International, which followed the move of St George's Hospital from Hyde Park Corner to here. The Hyde Park site dated from 1733, at Lanesborough House and was a leading teaching hospital. The decision to move to Tooting dates from 1950. The first Medical School buildings were opened in 1976 and the Lanesborough ward block in 1980. The Jenner Wing in 1984 and St James Wing in 1988. In 2003 with the Atkinson Morley Wing moved here for neurology and cardiac care facilities.
Bronze bust of John Hunter by Sir Alfred Gilbert 1893which had been over the hospital door at Hyde Park.
Recovery - Nude Man. Originally on the lawn outside the outpatients' department at St.James's hospital and moved in 1988. A sculpture, bronze nude by Douglas Wain-Hobson, 1954
Tooting Gardens. Opened 1912 by Wandsworth Borough Council
Anderson House. Council flats of 1932 as part of the Council's slum clearance programme in Tooting. Rev JHA Anderson, was rector of Tooting and independent member of the Council and an LCC councillor. He was Mayor of Wandsworth in 1904-05.
Fountain Road recreation ground. The site had been a clay quarry for brickworks. In 1898 the quarry was replaced by the Council's dust destructor, until it was demolished in 1930. It had a chimney 153ft high. The land was then sealed and it became a recreation ground. The playground is on the site of a clinker dump.
Streatham Cemetery. Lodge. Opened 1892 by the local authority
Graveney River. – Only major tributary of the Wandle. The name is a back-formation from the manorial name found in Tooting Graveney. It rises at Upper Norwood). Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876.
End of the road from Wandsworth to Merton. Area laid out on farmland in the late 19th with respectable working class homes.
Haydon family from Merton. George Haydon acquired Cowdray’s farm in 1746. The track from Merton High Street to the farm was Cowdrays Lane but that changed to Haydon’s Lane renamed Haydon’s Road around 1870 as the area was suburbanised.
Haydons Road Station. 1st October 1868. Between Tooting and Wimbledon on Thameslink and on Southern Trains. Tooting Wimbledon and Merton Loop - a joint line by London Brighton and South Coast and London South Western providing one of two lines to Wimbledon. Opened as ‘Haydons Lane’ in 1889 name was changed to Haydon’s Road. In 1938 the station was rebuilt with new wooden buildings and an office passimeter booking office. In the 1980s it was again rebuilt in brick and tile and neo-vernacular style.
Goods yard. Enlarged in 1938.
Signal box went out of use in 1938 when the station was renovated.
Smallwood Primary School and Language Unit. In three decker turreted LSB type school. This was opened in 1893 as a girls’ and infants’ school
The Graveney runs down the south side of it
On site of brickworks in Fountain Road
This was an old path predating the iron railway
The route of the Surrey Iron Railway followed Mead Path to Wimbledon Road. It would have run alongside the Lambeth Cemetery wall where there is a ditch beside the path.
Boundary marker where the cemetery wall changes to an iron fence. The boundary followed the footpath, which was diverted to follow the Surrey Iron Railway
Wandle Meadow was the Wandle valley Joint Sewage Works. Built on the site of what had been water meadows, once part of a royal game reserve stretching between Merton Abbey and Wandsworth. The works had with its own rail lines. Built 1877 plus a depot by Wimbledon Council. Closed 1971 and now disused and seen as site of nature interest. Redesignated as Wandle Meadow
This was once a lane which left the track going to Haydon’s Farm and went off in the direction of the Plough Pub which was on the other side of the Wandle. Has become in the early 21st a series of trading estates and big shed stores.
Stadium. Dog Track. Now the only dog track left in London. Was also once used for speedway racing.
Plough pub. Closed and possibly demolished
Sidings opposite Lambeth Cemetery for interchange with Wandle Valley Sewage Board which had its own locomotive.
It is first called this on a map of 1823, probably because of a family called Summer who are recorded locally from the 17th. .,. The area was earlier known as ‘Garratt’.
The Surrey Iron Railway ran along the road
10 The Corner Pin
The Prince of Wales
99 Hare and Hounds. This was once called The White Lion
Gothic House with the Conservative Party in it. Carlos cafe in the extension
New road running west of the Wandle with industrial and trading units,
St Clement Dane almshouses now called Diprose Lodge. It is within a walled estate and now owned by the Borough of Merton. Dated 1848. By R Heskett in Gothic Revival style. The charity was founded by St. Clement Danes church in Westminster and known as the Holborn Charity which had acquired a number of almshouses c 1700 on a site now occupied by the Law Courts. In the 1840's the Trustees decided to build a block containing forty almshouses, with a Chapel, bath house and laundry in Garratt Lane.
46 St Mary. Built 1903-4 by G. Pinkerton, replacing an earlier c 19 chapel for the hamlet of Summerstown. In red brick with glass by Morris & Co. to Burne Jones designs. It replaced an earlier church on the corner of Garrett Lane and Summerstown,