Saturday, 13 November 2010

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney - Tooting Junction

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney
The Graveney continues to flow north west towards the Wandle following the railway line.


Post to the west Colliers Wood
Post to the east Gorringe Park


Alexandra Road
The Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road where there is now a wooded space.

Cavendish Road
Early Years Nursery

Clarendon Road
Colliers Wood Recreation Ground

Clive Road
Colliers Wood House was on the site of the lower numbers in this road and Warren Road. Demolished 1904.

Colliers Wood High Street
The line of the Graveney crosses the road and a stream also ran along the side of the road which is now culverted.

Courtney Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the southern edge of the road
Fortescue School, now housing

Devonshire Road
Merton Abbey Loop line ran parallel and south of the road

Finborough Road
On the line of the Merton Abbey loop line

Flanders Crescent
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road

Fleming Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road

Fortescue Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the southern edge of the road

Longley Road
The Graveney runs parallel and south of the road46, (then 24) plaque to Sir Harry Lauder 1870-1950. 'Music hall artist lived here 1903-1911' . Plaque erected 1969.
72 plaque to Harry Tate aka Ronald MacDonald Hutchinson which says 'music hall comedian lived here'. Plaque erected 1984.
Tooting Junction Baptist Church

London Road
London Road Cemetery run by LB Merton, also called Figges Marsh Cemetery. Opened 1929. Includes some gypsy tombs and one of totter, Albert Sparrowhawk.

Lyveden Road
The Graveney runs north of this roadMerton Abbey Loop line passed across the southern end of the road.

Mitcham Road
Amen Corner – the name seems to relate to a church in the area
River Graveney – the original course was to 'Tooting Lower Bridge' which was at the junction with Renmuir Street from where it ran west. The culverting scheme was undertaken in 1921, and Halls of Croydon had the contract for the cement. It is named for the Gravenal familyW.H.Smith, outfitters, were still using a rapid wire system in 1977
Railway Bell. The pub stands on the borough boundaries – at one time the Surrey/London boundary with different licencing hours for the two authorities.
Tooting Station. Opened on 1st October 1868 it stands between Streatham and Haydon’s Road on Thameslink and on Southern Trains. It was built by the Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon Railway -a joint line by London Brighton and South Coast and London South Western providing two lines to Wimbledon. It was originally called 'Tooting Junction' to the west of the current site. In 1894 it was resited with a red brick building and a tiled entrance. In 1917 the Merton Abbey line was suspended and in 1929 it closed. In 1937 the .name was changed to ‘Tooting’. The Thameslink line to Wimbledon runs underneath.
The original station - South Tooting Junction Station was west of the current Tooting Station and it was close to the junction of the line from Merton Abbey. It became a private house south of Longley Road which incorporated the booking office and other station facilities and was accommodation for the Station Master. Reorganisation in 1984 swept away Station Masters and the former station house became disused. In 1993 it was restored as offices.
Goods Yard - facilities at Tooting Junction were withdrawn in 1968 and the track lifted.
Tooting HallPolice Station – huge art deco police building

Myrna Close
Built on the line of old railway to Merton Abbey

Robinson Road
The Graveney runs north of this road and parallel with the railway.

Sellincourt Road
Sellincourt Primary School. Large London School Board style school

Shrewsbury Road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed the northern end of the road

Singleton Close
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the line of the close and remains as a cycle path on one side. The close covers the area of much of the through tracks and sidings of the Tooting Junction goods yard, the depot structures replaced by flats.

Swains Lane
Swains Farm stood at the bend in the road
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern end of the road

Tudor Place
Merton Abbey Loop line passed along the northern edge of the road

Tooting High Street
Waterfall House at the Longley Road corner. It is a 19th listed house now a dentist.
Waterfall Terrace
The Graveney runs south of the road parallel to the railway

No comments: