Monday, 19 June 2017

Borough - Bermondsey borders


Because of the size of the file for this dense inner city area, the square has been divided into four. This is the north east quarter

The north west corner is  Borough


Post to the north Bankside
Post to the west St,George and Waterloo
Post to the south Walworth
Post to the east Bermondsey



Angel Place
It is named after a 16th pub which was on its north side. However the current Angel Place would have been inside the Marshalsea prison
Marshalsea Prison Remains. A brick wall which was the southern boundary of the prison runs along the alleyway. There is also a small garden area. There are six memorials in the alleyway – a circular stone with a quotation from Little Dorritt; an information plaque including work done by BOST; a plaque about Little Dorritt; a circular stone about Little Dorritt; a plaque about Dickens’ father and a stone plaque about the site of the Marshalsea Prison.
White Lion prison. From at least 1580 prison facilities were provided by the White Lion Inn. It was on the south side of Angel Court and Angel Alley (which no longer exist) and was used for the site of the rebuilt Marshalsea. It was known as the Borough Gaol and was succeeded by the Surrey County Prison at Newington Causeway, built in 1791.

Borough High Street
173 Blue Eyed Maid. Pub which dates from at least the 1820s and which is now partly an Indian restaurant.
211 John Harvard Library. This is a London Borough of Southwark public library. It is named after John Harvard, the Southwark clergyman who emigrated to Massachusetts and bequeathed his estate and nooks to what became Harvard University.
211 Southwark Local Studies Library opened in 1978 at the rear of John Harvard Library. It included collections had been partly inherited from the predecessor councils accumulated since public libraries had opened in the 1880s. In 1972 Mary Boast was appointed first Local Studies Librarian.
Marshalsea Prison. This was a building used by the Marshal (hence the name) of the King's Bench as a prison. It had evolved from a Court to which Marshalsea rulings could be appealed and was jurisdiction of the royal household, but later held unconnected religious and criminal prisoners but mainly debtors.It had originally been a 14th establishment further north on Borough High Street. Around 1800 it was rebuilt here on the site of what is now the John Harvard Library. . It was technically private property, with shareholders and by the 18th was a debtors' prison with separate areas for those who could afford to rent rooms and the common or poor side. It had its own bar and shops run by inmates. Conditions were very bad with many suffering torture and extortion and dying of disease or violence. It was rebuilt following an enquiry in 1811. The 1811 building is that described by Dickens and it too was overcrowded and squalid with internal arrangements made by a committee of prisoners. There was a separate section for Admiralty Prisoners
Saint George's Churchyard. (The church itself is in the quarter square to the west). . The churchyard of the predecessor church had been where prisoners from Marshalsea and other local jails were buried and also some Civil War leaders. Bishop Bonner had been buried here in 1569 late at night. The current church’s yard was on the north side of the church and was extended in 1817. It closed in the 1850s and was laid out as a garden in 1882. In 1905 the London County Council acquired part of it for a new road between Tabard Street and Borough High Street but added other land in compensation. An extended garden is accessed from Tabard Street (below).  A garden area is also to the north of the church with some memorials in flower beds and a few gravestones against the church wall. The churchyard also shares a wall with Angel Place.
134-138 Maya House. Office block Blue men with musical instruments climb up the outside of the building – this is an artwork by Ofra Zimbalista

Bowling Green Place. 
This was previously Bowling Green Lane
An internal road into a London County Council style estate featuring Kentish place names on the blocks

Chapel Place
Chapel Place was the predecessor street to Hankey Place, on a slightly different alignment at the south west end

Crosby Row
Wesley’s second chapel in Southwark. This stood at the northern end of Crosby Row. It is described as one of Wesley's octagon and built for him by Samuel Butcher, a Bermondsey leather merchant in 1764. By 1818 the congregation had moved to Long Lane to the south, and this church became a Sunday school.
St Hugh Charterhouse Mission Church. The Ark. This was on the site of Wesley’s second Bermondsey Chapel. Charterhouse Ark was built in 1892-8 by Carpenter & Ingelow.  It was later described as a “queerly-shaped building, with church and clubrooms combined”.  This church closed in 2011 and the church is now the ground floor of a block of flats.
32 Charterhouse-in-Southwark settlement. This had been  established in 1885 by old boys of Charterhouse School as a city mission to provide education and amenities to the deprived people in Bermondsey, originally in Tabard Street. Funds were raised to build St Hugh’s Church and a building here.  In 2008 the charity decided to close here in favour of becoming a grant-giving body. The site was sold to the Family Mosaic housing association and it is now a housing scheme called the Murano Building Designed by local architect Michael Trentham. The church has been rebuilt on the ground floor
Beormund Primary School
. This is a special school for children who have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties. Opened as a purpose built facility in 1975.  It appears to be partly on the site of what was Laxon Street School. This opened in 1874 by the London School Board, was remodelled in 1909 and became Laxon Secondary School for Girls in 1951. Laxon Street was a turning off Long Lane, now under Beormond School. Laxon Street School merged with other schools in 1968.   Beormund may now be demolished for housing
Beormond Hostel. This was attached to the school and built with it. It took 20 boys who were pupils at the school.
37 Whitesmiths Arms, dated from at least the 1840s but closed in 2013 and turned into flats
39 Arc Day Nursery. This was Charterhouse Girls Club set up in the 1930s. Latterly Charterhouse in Southwark ran this as Arc Nursery until 2009 when was leased to an unrelated charity. The building appears originally to have been a mission hall.

Falmouth Road
Waygood Lifts. This was on the site of blocks of housing, including Bentham House. Waygood was founded by Richard Waygood in 1833 in Dorset and in 1840s moved to London. They made hand operated and later electric belt-driven and hydraulic lifts from the 1860s.  They were the first lift manufacturer in England to produce electric elevators. In 1914 they purchased the British business of the US lift manufacturer, and became Waygood-Otis and their Falmouth Road factory became Otis Lifts United Kingdom head office. By 1952 they were controlled by Otis and manufacture took place in Coventry. Otis is now a major US based lift manufacturer with some UK offices. The Waygood company was dissolved only in 2013.

Globe Street
Persian Silk Tree – rare tree grown as a street tree
Wall painted sign for C.Wallin Tin Box maker.  Wallin were here from at least the 1920s until at least the 1980s. Their address was actually the corner house in Trinity Street, no 45 with the works to the rear in Globe Street.

Great Dover Street
190 Marathon House. This was until recently County House, a government building housing the Immigration Advisory Service.  Sold off, it now appears to be about to be converted to the House of Sport.
Surrey Dispensary. The Dispensary was set up as a charitable foundation in the 18th century to provide medical services to the poor. During its history it moved many times in the area. It moved here to Great Dover Street in 1840 where it stayed until 1927. The site appears to have been bought by Upsons who traded as Dolcis. The charity still exists as a body giving grants to sick people in need.
7-14 Dolcis House. This was originally the headquarters of Upson’s ‘the great boot provider’.  They had been started in 1863 by John Upson, in Plumstead who sold shoes in Woolwich market. By the early 20th the company had branches throughout London and south-east England.  They acquired Barron & Coin 1925 and the head office was here. By 1927 they had 135 shops with nine of them on Oxford Street.  The head office moved to Leicester in 1967.  The Great Dover Street building has since been demolished
7-14 SPIE Matthew Hall. This was a facilities building for this international construction company.
7-14 Can Mezzanine. The building now offers office space to charities and others

Great Maze Pond
This road – although still a public road – is essentially an internal road for Guys Hospital (detailed in the post to the north).  Before 1900 the east side of the road was taken up with hop warehouses and, at the south end, Holcombe Buildings
Holcombe Buildings. In the 1890s Booth reported that these tenements belonged to Guys and used to house their employees

Guy Street
Guy Street Park. This was opened as a recreation ground in 1899.  It had been a burial ground for Guy’s Hospital who had bought the site in 1789 but closed it in the 1850s.  It was then a builder's yard until 1896 when Bermondsey Vestry and the London County Council bought the site from Guy’s with financial help from other local vestries and the Guinness Trust and the Metropolitan Public Gardens Trust for layout and maintenance.  It was then called the Nelson Street Recreation Ground and later Kipling Street Park.  In the 1990s a friends group was set up and the par was renovated with new planting and a shrubbery, a ball court, a play area and a rope climbing frame.
2 Guys Arms. Pub which closed in the 1990s and is now flats. It dated from at least the 1880s and a Courage’s sign remains above the corner door.

Hankey Place
This was Chapel Place, slightly realigned and rebuilt following the London County Council’s changes to the Tabard Street area. It was named for Donald Hankey who worked in a mission here before the Great War, and then, having enlisted, became well known through publications about military service in the war,
3-5  Richer House. Head office of media and audio equipment retailer. Julian Richer began buying and selling hi-fi separates at school when he was 14 and in 1978, aged 19, he opened his first shop on London Bridge Walk. They now have 53 stores nationwide and online.
Tabard Community Hall. This is also called Hankey Hall. Community facility for the Tabard Estate. It probably dates from 1924.
Wesleyan Southwark Chapel. The Chapel was built in 1809 and able to seat a congregation of 1,500. It faced onto what was then called Chapel Place.  The Chapel closed in 1918 and demolished a few years later. It, or its ancillary buildings became used as a billiard hall in the 1920s and were later taken over by the Stansfield Club, part of a Bermondsey youth mission.
Vicarage. What appears to be the vicarage of St. Stephen’s Church remains on the corner with Tabard Street.

Kipling Street
This is said to be on the approximate site of Meeting House Walk. It was also previously called Nelson Street.
NCP Car Park
St Paul. This was built in 1848 and designed by S.S. Teulon. The parish had been established in 1846 out of the parish of Saint Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey. It closed in 1956 and was used as the Diocesan furniture store until demolished in 1961. The site was sold to Guy's Hospital and is now occupied by flats
Vicarage. This was the vicarage to St. Pauls and is still a Cathedral property
St Paul’s National School. Buildings for boys and girls schools lay behind the church to the west. They appear to have closed before 1900.
Wesley chapel. This was taken over in 1743 from Unitarian Baptists. • Twenty years later he moved to a new site in Crosby Row. The chapel was on the west side of" Meeting House Walk and the chapel was probably south of the Miller of Mansfield pub. It had been built in 1736 by. Elizabeth Ginn, for a Unitarian Baptist preacher

Long Lane
Connected churches of Bermondsey and Southwark. It allegedly was created by Bermondsey Abbey around 1104 to connect its lands and buildings in Bermondsey to those at the southern end of Borough High Street and its manor to the west, later called St George's Fields. This stretch of Long Lane was called White Street in the 19th
25-33 Harding’s Tinplate. This works was demolished before the 1990s. A building belonging to the company still remains in Tabard Street
74-84 Selected Rug Co. Warehouse building with distinctive green bricks. This was part of the wire weavers Bedford, Steer, End & Co, founded on this site as the original Southwark Wire Works in 1824. In the 1890s they were workers of copper, brass, iron, steel, tinned, and galvanized wire of all kinds by steam power. By the 1950s they were making brush parts for dynamos as well as wire baskets sacks and containers of all sorts. The factory and buildings were reconfigured and partly rebuilt in the 1960s. The building is now being turned into flats,
109 The Old School Yard. This was the George pub and now claims to be a cocktail bar. The current number of the building is 109 but other nearby numbers are given for it in the past. The pub is said to date from the 1880s from licensing records but is not shown on maps before the Second World War. On all maps except the most recent this now kerbside building is shown as being smaller and to the back of the site. A broken sign on the front, now removed, indicates that it dates from the 1930s but it seems possible that the pub and its licence moved, perhaps as part of changes to the school buildings to which it is adjacent.
171 Valentines. This was previously the Valentine and Orson. The licence dates from the 1860s but this ultimate building – now demolished – looks post Second World War. Pub has now gone and flats and supermarket built on the site – which are called The Valentine. Valentine and Orson is apparently a French medieval romance where Orson is raised by bears – and the pub sign here (from Edith’s memory) was of a man with a bear.  The story was turned into a popular theatrical event in the 19th. This pub too seems to have been moved down the street from its original site and rebuilt.

Manciple Street
Manciple Street is the result of a regeneration scheme from the early 1920s undertaken by the London County Council. . This quarter square covers only a short northern section of the street (the rest is in the quarter square to the south). The area within  this quarter square covered St Stephens Square, plus a rope walk, and Wickham Place on the south west side, and the north east Chapel Place.
Harbledown House. One of the original early 1920s blocks belt as part of the Tabard Street scheme
Rochester House. One of the original early 1920s blocks built as part of the Tabard Street scheme
Hankey Place Gardens. It had previously been the burial ground attached to the Wesleyan Southwark Chapel which closed for burials in the 1850s.   It was cleared by the London County Council in 1938 and the remains transferred to Nunhead Cemetery. The site was partly to the Church Army, and otherwise left as open space and laid out as a rose garden, which remains.

Mermaid Court
Partly an internal road in London County Council estate with Kentish place names on the blocks. In the 19th this was lined with hop warehouses. The original Marshalsea Prison lay along the north side
Mural. This is at the west end of the road and embodies the lettering ‘nomad’.
The Art Academy. Independent art school

Mulvaney Way
This road goes north/south through what is now the Kipling Estate. In the past this area contained a number of industries. Some of these were on Richard Street (detailed below) and Weston Place (also below)

Nebraska Street
Elgood House. Flats originally built for the Church Army
Southwark Telephone Exchange. At the corner with Great Dover Street, this had HOP numbers until the late 1960s. Now it has 0207-234,357,378,397,403,407 and 939 numbers.

Newcomen Street
The street developed from the yard of a pub, the Axe, which was there in the 16th. In the 17th Axe Yard, belonged to two charities, - John Marshall's and Mrs. Newcomen's. John Marshall had founded Christ Church and left his Axe Yard properties to trustees and, like Mrs. Newcomen who died in the 17th, left the property here for charitable purposes. Building here continued in the 17th and 18th and in due course the inn yard was opened up into Snow’s Fields to the east.
67 This was the property of the Newcomen charity and bore the charity’s as well as a Royal Insurance fire mark. In the mid-19th this was used as George Mansell as a printing works. This was the press for first the early South London Press.  This no longer seems to be there
66 offices of the John Marshall Trustees. This is said to be on the site of John Marshall's house and was built in 1853.  It is decorated with four carved stone heads
65 King's Arms this was rebuilt in the 18th and incorporated the royal coat of arms, as used by George II. They are those removed from the gate at the south end of London Bridge. The house was rebuilt as a pub, the King's Arms. This was once King Street with the old Marshalsea on its south side, possibly because of the presence of the royal coat of arms. It was renamed Newcomen Street in 1879
24/26 John Doyle. In the 1820s Doyle was a scale maker at Steelyard in the Borough and from 1840 in what was then King Street. The firm was Doyle & Son from about 1865. They made standard weights in 1826 and bronze cup weights marked and were in business when they were sold to Avery. Their works was said to have been designed by Wallis Gilbert in 1923
18 Nuffield House. Entrance to the private hospital which is part of Guys Hospital.
Bollards. There are two cast iron cannon adapted into bollards, one at each end of the street

Pilgrimage Street
This street was built in the early 1920s as part of the redevelopment of the area and the building of the Tabard Estate by the London County Council.

Porlock Street
Porlock Hall. Now Southwark Inclusive Learning Centre aka the Pupil Referral Unit.

Richardson Street
This street is now covered by the Kipling Estate.
18-20 Sam Wright. Buyer of leather by products. Present in the early 20th
49 The Brazon Serpent. This pub was in the street from the 1850s to the 1890s
Moore. Leather merchants, present in the early 20th. There were others in the leather and tannery trade – Barclay had a tannery in the 19th, as did George Wigglesworth in the 1860s.
British Road Services Depot. 1950s.

Snowsfield
96 The Miller pub. This was called the Miller of Mansfield.  It is a modem pub although it originated at least in the 1830s and was once on the other side of the road.  It now has a comedy club and hosts other events, plus rehearsal space.
123 Rose Pub. This dates from the 1850s

St. Stephens Square
Now under Tabard Gardens and Manciple Street
St.Stephen's Church. This church, was built in 1850 with a massive tower to the designs of S.S.Teulon. It ceased to be used for worship in 1961 and demolished in 1965. The organ was sold for £100 to Christ the King church, Salfords but it is thought other furnishings and the bells were sold for scrap. The site was sold to the Diocese as a site for a new St George's Rectory.
Church Hall. This was bombed in the Second World War and replaced by a Tenants Hall.

Tabard Street
This is what was originally called Kent Street, the old road to Greenwich, Canterbury and Dover.  It is thought that this is on the alignment of a Roman road. From 1565 it was paved with hard stone after 1814 through traffic went down Great Dover Street, and Kent Street was re-named Tabard Street in 1877.
St George’s Gardens. The larger part of the churchyard it on the east side of the street, separate from the church. It was laid out as a public garden in 1882.  The churchyard was laid out as a public garden and twenty years later Part of the south side was removed for the widening of Long Lane and it was reopened in 1902. The north wall dates from the 18th and there are with 20th wrought iron gates. The area was originally the southern boundary of the Marshalsea Prison and a plaque in the garden explains this. There are a number of trees including a plane with seating around it. A few gravestones are located in one corner. A drinking fountain, the gift of J. A. Pash and William Bear in 1859, once stood near the gate.,
Churchyard. There is an area of churchyard which remains alongside the church with a brick wall, railings and a pair of gate piers fronting a small triangular garden.
Empire Square. This development is on the site of a goods depot belonging to Pickford’s, carriers and removers. It is one of several sites which this old established, and still extant, company had in Southwark.
19 frontage of tower of Harding & Sons with inscriptions and ‘jappaners’ over the central door. They were also based in Long Lane (above)
40 London Christian School.  This is another private fee paying school.
56 London Bridge Study Centre. This is an ‘independent’ fee paying higher education centre. It undertakes courses on management, and the like,
Tabard Green Estate.  This is the housing area around Tabard Gardens. It was an ambitious scheme of the London County Council for slum clearance planned in 1910 for 2,450 people, and opened in 1916.  Most of the blocks are in the earlier standard type of municipalised neo-Georgian style.
44 Royal Oak. The pub dates from 1825 when the address was Kent Street. The brewers are Harvey’s of Lewes.
Tabard Gardens. (The bulk of the gardens and sports facilities are in the quarter square to the south). The northern end is largely open green space.

Tennis Street
Tennis Street is now a road running between Newcomen Street and Long Lane which appears to date from the 1950s. It covers what was Tennis Court and Colliers Rents.
Southwark Coroners Court. This is a modern timber clad buildings but it replaces a predecessor

Weston Place
This road is now covered by the area of the Kipling Estate 
5 George Morris. Kid leather tannery. This works was present in the 1920s.

Weston Street,
55 Greenwood Theatre. The Theatre belongs to Kings College London and used for student productions. It was built in 1975.
Imperial Emery Works. This was owned by W.J.Davies in the early 20th who were developing a number of applications and uses for emery – for example in concrete.
72 George Harker and Co. The company dated to the 1820s as a drysalters and stationers operating in dried fish, oil and spices in central London. Later they specialised in rice, pulses, dried fruit, canned goods, spices, and nuts. The factory was destroyed in Second World War bombing. After the war they were able to take advantage in the growth of individual packaging and supply to supermarkets.
72 The Grainstore. Flats
75 Vos leather merchants, brick and stucco offices of the mid 19th. The firm also had a base in Northampton
132 Lord Wellington. This pub is now a betting shop

Sources
Aldous. Village London
Bankside Open Spaces Trust. Web site
Bermondsey Churches. Web site
Biblical Studies. Wesley Historical Society. Web site
British History On line. Web site
Brewery History Society. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Byrne. Prisons and Punishments of London
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Dehilster. Web site
Diocese of Southwark. Web site
Dolcis. Web site
Exploring Southwark. Web site
Field. London Place Names
GLIAS Newsletter
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Greater London Council. Home Sweet Home
Historic England. Web site
Ideal Homes. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Metropolitan Archive. Web site
London Remembers. Web site
Lucas. London
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pub History. Web site
SE1. Web site
Skinner. Form and Fancy
Street Trees. Web site
Summerson. Georgian Buildings in London
Thorne. Old and New London
Wikipedia. As appropriate

Friday, 9 June 2017

Borough



Because of the size of the file for this dense inner city area, the square has been divided into four. This is the north west quarter

The north east corner is  Borough Bermondsey borders


Post to the north Bankside
Post to the west St,George and Waterloo
Post to the south Walworth
Post to the east Bermondsey


Avon Place
Mural painted by mORGANICo and shows a range of local scenes and stories. Some of the wall is owned by Trinity House, and the mural includes images for their 500th anniversary. It was unveiled in 2015.

Ayres Street
This was previously Whitecross Street but renamed after Alice Ayres who saved children in a fire in the 1880s.
1-6 Whitecross Cottages and Redcross Cottages. These were planned by Octavia Hill in 1887-1890 and built by Elijah Hoole.  There is as mosaic of The Sower by Lady Waterford Reset on a wall. The earlier cottages have a variety of different-sized gables and windows. They are now owned and managed by Octavia Housing and Care, a housing association.
8a George Bell House.  Community building built 1887-90 in a domestic style, with Redcross Hall incorporated at the rear. It is now studios, an office and a flat.
8 Bishops Hall. This was Red Cross Hall designed in 1887-8 by Elijah Hoole. The interior was decorated by Water Crane in 1889, with ‘Deeds of Heroism in the daily life of ordinary people'. It was intended as a reading room and library, with facilities for working men's clubs, women's groups, concerts and plays, poetry readings and gymnastics. The Cadets movement started here. It is now privately owned.
The BOST EcoHouse. This is a timber curved structure insulated with sheep's wool designed for Bankside Open Space Trust by Phil Clayton working with his team at Solid Art, Oxford Brookes University's Institute of Sustainable Development, architects White Adamski and engineers Rodrigues Associate

Borough High Street
At one time the name of High Street south of St. George's Church was Blackman Street. It is also worth noting that on the late 18th Roque map that this entire stretch of road –covering the High Street in this quarter square from 148/Tabard Street corner to Stones End - is shown as having pub after pub after pub– which probably reflects its role as a terminus for coach services, although even so, including pub yards, there do seem to be a lot of them! – White Swan, Du Black Eagle, Griffin, Catherine Wheel, Dolphin, Lamb, Horse and Groom, Flying Horse, Unicorn, Horse Shoe, Crown, Angel, Yorkshire Grey, Axe, Dun Horse, Birdcage, Faulcon, George, Three Tun.
140-148 Willcox House. This office building is home to a number of Christian bodies and some charities. It is named for Roland Wilcox who was involved in its procurement. The block may date from the 1970s and was previously used by a dealer in office machinery.
180 Brandon House. This large block is now being converted to flats. Brandon House was latterly government offices, as the head office of the, employment related, Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service and more recently the Overseas Visitors Record Office. It appears to have been preceded on the site by offices and warehouse buildings. The name Brandon House relates to Charles Brandon who had a house here in the 15th whose family were hereditary keepers of the Kings Bench Prison and later the Dukes of Suffolk.
Suffolk Place. This once stood on what is now the site of Brandon House. It was a 15th mansion belonging to the Dukes of Suffolk – being Charles Brandon at the time it was built - and later taken over by Henry VIII and it was converted to a mint in 1545 and demolished in 1557. It had vast grounds, with orchards, ponds and vineyards, stretched as far north as the line of present-day Thrale Street.
199 Haig House. Royal British Legion. Moved here from Pall Mall. They were formed in 1921, bringing together four national organisations of ex-Servicemen that had established themselves after the First World War and have since become established as the major wartime remembrance organisation including the annual poppy appeal.
White lead works
213 This is the old Crown Pub and there is still a decorative crown on the top gable. The landlord in 1902 was George Chapman hung for poisoning a series of wives/lovers. The building is now offices behind a preserved facade, most recently the London Institute of Technology and Research
St George the Martyr. A church was founded here in 1122 and rebuilt as the parish church in 1734 by John Price. It was thought it is on the north bank of an ancient channel but Roman buildings have been found which, suggest the channel was further south. The tower is probably founded on the Roman Road. Henry V was welcomed back from Agincourt here.  Two stones from the medieval church say ‘Edward, Lord of Hastings, caused me to be made AD 1438’bv‘O! Here I will set up my everlasting rest’. The church is well sited, and its square white tower can be seen throughout the area. The interior altered by William Hedger, 1807-8 it has galleries and a plaster ceiling with cherubs designed by Basil Champneys from 1897.  It was restored by T. F. Ford after Second World War damage.  The Stuart Royal arms are on the parapet of the gallery and with paintings it came from St Michael Wood Street. The church is famous because Dickens’ Little Dorrit slept in the vestry. She was baptised here and here she married Arthur Clennam so the east window is about her and about Canterbury pilgrims. It was the first church to set up a charity school in 1699, and SPCK founded was there. The original crypt is under the nave with 18th extensions and the floor under the pews is supported on old ships timbers.
Borough Station. This opened in 1890 and now lies between London Bridge and Elephant and Castle on the Northern Line It was an original station on the City and South London Railway which ran between King William Street and Stockwell and was the first deep tube. It is the most northerly of the original City and South London stations since originally from here the line ran on to King William Street. This was abandoned in 1900 when the line was diverted to London Bridge and Moorgate. Little remains of the original station entrance which was rebuilt in the 1920s when the tunnels were enlarged. The southbound platform is directly below the northbound platform and is only accessible via a narrow flight of stairs. The northbound has level access. A plaque on the station records the Second World War use of the disused tunnels as air raid shelters between 1940 and 1943 with six entrances in Borough High Street.
200 London City Hotel. Small hotel and cafe
204 Trinity. This was previously called the Hole In The Wall. It is a large pub with a panelled interior and a half timbered frontage.
223-237 Mitre House. Dramatic corner office building used for the probation service.
239 Crown Post Office. This backed on to the large, and now closed, Borough Sorting Office. It closed in 2008 and is apparently still empty. In 1870 the South Eastern Chief District Post Office and Money Order Office.
241 Prospero House. Large block used for event and training spaces.
249 Site of the Fountain and Grapes Pub. This dated from the 1820s and between 1872 and 1882 was called The Mint Gate. It probably closed before the Second World War and has long since been demolished.
275 Avon House. British School of Osteopathy. Founded in 1917 by John Martin Littlejohn, a student of Andrew Taylor Still. In 1980 they moved to London. Avon House is on the site of Avon Place and was previously in use by the Inland Revenue
Redman Green. This is what was amenity space around Redman House block.  It has been planted with trees, a wildlife hedge and a community foot project.
280 Red Lion. Pub dating from at least the 19th. It was later called Bunters Bar and then Ruse and said to have been demolished in 2016.
282-302 David Bomberg House. Thus is a hall of residence for London South Bank University students. It is named after the painter David Bomberg who taught at what was then Borough Polytechnic.
296-302 This was a ‘non-field training headquarters’ for M15 agents, although sometimes described as a ‘spy school’. Spies were taught techniques there that they would use in their work. The address is now under David Bomberg House.
298 Southwark Police Court. This dated from 1845. The address is now under David Bomberg House
323 Borough Police Station. This has a plaque on it about Stones End.
Stones End. This is where the High Street meets Newington Causeway. It is said to be the site of a fort built during the Commonwealth to defend London from Royalist attack and one of a network of forts around London

Borough Road
This road was built as part of the infrastructure consequent on the construction of Westminster Bridge in 1750 to provide access to the bridge for traffic from Kent and Surrey.  It ran across what was then the open marshy area of St George’s Fields.
62 It has been suggested that this is the watch-house for the King’s Bench Prison but it was built in 1821 by stone mason Henry Hartley on land leased from the City of London Corporation. Until at least the 1950s, the house and yard was a stone mason. The building is now flats.
68 The Ship. Pub which dates from at least the 1840s.
King’s Bench Prison. This was the second phases of the prison which moved here in 1758. It had been on the east side of Borough High Street since the mid-14th having originally been a mobile unit travelling with the Royal Household.  Built in and demolished in the 1870s.  The new prison was large with 244 rooms and included taprooms and games areas. It was burnt down during the Gordon Riots and rebuilt. As legislation covering imprisonment for debt was changed it became a military prison and demolished in 1880.
Queens Buildings. After the closure of the Kings Bench Prison it was replaced in 1881 by Queen’s Buildings which were seven storey model housing tenements. The estate was bombed in the Second World War and was demolished in 1977. It was replaced by the Scovell Estate
Scovell Estate. This is a low-rise group by Southwark Architect's Department, 1978.
77 Diary House Lett's diaries. In 1796 John Letts established a stationery business st the in the arcades of London's Royal Exchange. Merchants needed a means of recording the movements of stock and controlling their finances and Letts responded to in 1812 by creating the world's first Commercial Diary. In 1921 they moved to Southwark and in 1980 to Dalkeith. In 2001 they acquired the Filofax Group.
79-81 IPSOS Mori. This is a part of Diary House the print works of Charles Letts & Co Ipsos Mori are the large international marketing research and polling analysts.
Vestry Hall, this was the ‘town hall’ for the St.George the Martyr parish when it was the local authority.  Following the creation of the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark it appears to have been used for other civic functions – including meetings of various bodies.  In the 1920s it appears to have been the Southwark Union Relief Station. It still appears on maps post-Second World War but the site is now a modern extension to the Letts factory.
82 Baptist Chapel. This is now the, Nigerian based, Deeper Life Bible Church but has also been the Grace Church. It claims to be the oldest Baptist Church in London dating from 1624 – although, clearly, in a different building.
St. George the Martyr, National School for Boys and Girls. The local parish school moved here in 1839 having been split as a boys school in what was then Lancaster Road and a girls school adjacent to the churchyard.
47 Duke of York. For a while in the 1970s this was the Goose and Firkin, the original Bruce Home Brew pub.  It later returned to its original name. It dates from at least the 1820s
49-60 This is now the international headquarters of The International Transport Workers' Federation, is a global federation of transport workers’ trade unions, founded in 1896. The building dates from 1889 as a factory for Day and Martin, manufacturers of boot blacking
Day and Martin. Having worked in hair dressing Day and Martin began to make blacking around 1901 with a recipe from Martin's brother-in-law.  By 1808 the firm was in High Holborn and Day was sole proprietor. They moved to Borough Road in 1890m with a Range of more than 80 products. The business went through various take overs and changes. They moved to Stratford in 1913, and then to Great Dunmow. By 1976 they were Carr and Day and Martin with a range of horse care products was then launched.
83 London School of Musical Theatre. This was founded in 1995 to cater for the demand for an intensive training in Musical Theatre for the mature student. It was originally housed at The Old Vic, moved Borough Road in 2000.
83 this was designed by C Ashby Lean in 1906 for the South London Institute of the Blind.  The foundation stone record the charity’s Patron was Lord Llangattock, a local landowner. By the 1980s it was branch of Barclays Bank, and later became empty. It is an eccentric gothic building but is currently under threat of demolition
Railway bridge. In the 1860s the London Chatham and Dover railway line was built on a brick viaduct to take trains from the Elephant and Castle to Blackfriars.

Clenham Street
This is part of what was Peter Street until 1896
27 Lord Clyde.  The pub was originally called the Duke of Kent from 1832-1910, and then named the Lord Clyde following a 1922 rebuild. The exterior ground floor has green faience tiles  with: 'TRUMANS Burton Ales ... The Lord Clyde ... Trumans London Stout ... E J Bayling ... Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd' and above: 'Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd ... Ales ... Stout & Porter'.  And on the corner splay: 'The Lord Clyde ... Trade mark ... Trumans Bottled beers'. And a large eagle. Inside is a mirror with on it “‘Unrivalled Mild Ales & Double Stout”.

Cole Street.
6-8 Cole Street Studios said to be a former spice and leather warehouse
28 Warehouse. Built 1826-27 by William Chadwick
26 General Baptist Chapel. This appears to have originally been a Baptist Chapel, -independent Calvinist - and later Congregational. This is now flats

Copperfield Street
This was previously called Orange Street
All Hallows Church Garden – Copperfield Street Garden. There is a paved area and steeper steps up to a crucifixion statue pot plants. Down stone steps on the far side through an archway is the grassed-over are of the church nave. The buttressed wall on the corner with Pepper Street once was the entrance into the church.
All Hallows Church and Presbytery. This was by George Gilbert Scott Junior and darted from 1879-80. It was damaged in Second World War bombing, but some restorations were carried out in 1956. The church was closed in 1971 and let for as a recording studio and offices for a charity.
Thereby are two stone archways a chapel which is now part of a block of flats, designed by T.F. Ford in 1957. The parish was merged with that of Saint George the Martyr and Saint Jude.
The Vicarage and Church Hall. Late 19th house built in the Arts & Crafts style.
Winchester Cottages. Built by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1893 to reflect methods used by Octavia Hill.
Cast Iron bollard. This is on the south-east corner with Pepper Street and has on it ‘Clink 1812’. It is probably one of 60 made by Bishop & Co for the Clink Paving Company Commissioners.
25 Buildings for Coborn Engineer. The company was based at Peasmarsh near Guilford as well as this works and made sliding doors, trolley tracks, etc.

Disney Street
Glass works. This was the works of Faulkner, Greene & Co. Ltd who were also in Redcross Way. Established in 1933 they were Stockists of plate, sheet and safety glass. Manufacturers and processers of constructional glass products; stained glass; leaded lights; and patent glazing.

Great Guildford Street
41-43 In the late 19th this was the works of Illingworth and Ingham, suppliers of furniture to schools and offices.  In 1935 it was the works of the New Croydon Rubber Company, manufacturers of hot water bottles and related items
45 Haddon’s Model Printing Office. Haddon’s were here in the early 20th . They were type founders and manufacturers of printing equipment. This was basically a showroom where printers could visit, see equipment at work and have a go themselves.   It is now headquarters of a record company, Curb
49-55 Goodife Centre. This is an independent learning space offering “practical boutique workshops in DIY, Home Maintenance, Decorating, Upholstery, Woodwork & Carpentry, Furniture Upcycling & Restoration and various traditional hand Crafts.”
96 St.Mungo’s Hostel. This charity had been helping homeless night sleepers since 1969. It provides a bed and supper. They leased this hostel in 1995 which was previously Lancelot Andrews House. There are about 52 residents who for several months and are helped to find employment and accommodation. The hostel has recently been rebuilt to modern standards.
108 Fox and Hounds. 
Lancelot Andrews House. This was built as a hostel in the 1890s to house "vagrants and drunkards" unfit for admission to the nearby workhouse and owned by the government. It is now leased to St. Mungos.
Duthy Hall. This building is currently in use as a photographic studio. It was leased by Southwark Council in 1963 and used as a theatre for amateur productions with an annual Shakespeare festival which showcased several future stars. It appears to date from the 1920s-30s and possibly may have had a connection with All Hallows Church adjacent.  It has planning consent for redevelopment

Great Dover Street
6a Dover Castle. Large pub dating from at least the 1860s which is now a backpackers' hostel.
Great Suffolk Street
125 Libertine Pub.  This was the Skinners Arms on the corner with Toulmin Street .A one bar pub with large front windows and plush interior. There is a pool table at the front and dartboard. There are leaded light glass panels on the interior doors.
129 Suffolk House. Connecting London. This is an IT support company.  1890s Surrey Machinists Co who made bicycles. Since then there have been a wide range of concerns in this building - wallpaper manufacturers, animation studios, builders, etc.
137 The Signal Press. There are also flats in this building
130 Beck & Co. Engineering works. This firm of Hydraulic engineers and meter makers was founded in 1837 that specialised in positive water meters, water, gas and steam fittings. From 1932 they made electrically operated petrol pumps and from 1935 specialised in "Beckmeter" petrol pumps,
114 Smale House. Vodaphone, previously offices for Cable and Wireless

Lant Street
Called after Thomas Lant who acquired Suffolk House in the 17th.
1 Dickens lodged here while his father was in the New Marshalsea in 1824.  The house has gone
12 Listening Books. This company produces recordings of books as a service to the blind'.  The building is said to have previously been a printing works and there is a plaque with ‘1904’ on the building.  This is the site of a pub called The Blue Coat boy which was there 1825-1891.  In 1904 this was replaced by a ‘small warehouse’ which was in use by a local firm of brush makers.  By the late 1950s it was used by cinema engineers, Rae Stage Equipment, and in the 1970s it was in use by Norfolk Reed Thatchers,
23 Prince of Wales Pub. This pub was demolished in 2005.  In the 1960-70s the then owner had gangland and connections with the Krays.  It dated from the 1880s and was originally just called  The Prince
St. Michael and All Angels church.  This was on the corner with Trundle Street and dated from 1867. It consisted of a nave and chancel with bell cote plus a north aisle from 1904 n C W Blackwood-Price. It was declared redundant in 1953 and in 1956 converted 1956 into a church hall for St George's parish. The fittings went to St Barnabas Eltham. From 1993 to 2002 it was a Diocesan training centre and was demolished in 2004 and sold for offices and flats.
Charles Dickens Primary School. This was built by the London School Board in 1877 as the Lant Street School. In 1901 it was enlarged and in 1911 changed its name to the Charles Dickens School in honour of Charles Dickens who had once lodged nearby. Part of the street surface has now been blocked off and is now the playground.
61 Lant Street Wine Co. This was Waterloo Wines – a business supplying wines with a warehouse behind in Vine Street.  This building was once a cork warehouse built for a Mr. Peet in 1867.
64 Gladstone Pub.   The pub dates from the 1880s but was rebuilt, probably in the 1930s.  It features on the outside large paintings of Prime Minister Gladstone over written with ‘Charrington’.  It has recently been listed as an asset of community value.
Patent leather factory. This was next door to the cork factory – but numbered as 4 - and owned by a Mr Preller who had patented his process and ‘fitted up a large factory’ for ‘Specimens of Machine Driving Bands, Lashing Laces, and Ropes... suitable for any, especially hot climates’.
3 (or 5 in the old numbering system) George Hazeldine had this corner site for a ‘cart and wheel works’ from at least the 1840s on a site which had earlier been a timber yard on the corner of what is now Sanctuary Street.  He described himself at the same time as a coach and omnibus builder and held patents for ‘improvements’ on many types of vehicle. There were several Hazeldine Brothers and the firm continued until 1928 with a record for constant innovation. They made large items – vans and dustcarts.   They were taken over in 1928 by wheelwright, D.Sebel, who expanded in the 1930’s into architectural metalwork making street cleaning carts, milk churns and fronts for cinemas. War work during the Second World War included Bailey bridge components and a tower for an experimental radar station.  Harry Sebel worked on patterns for a rocking horse and after the war toys and steel furniture were made.  In 1947 they moved to Erith as Mobo Toys.
Redman House.-Local authority tower block built in 1965 with 13 floors.

Little Dorrit Court
Named after Amy Dorrit, heroine of the Dickens’ novel.
Little Dorrit playground. This was created by the London County Council's Parks and Open Spaces Committee, and opened in 1902 by the LCC Councillor for Rotherhithe, Mr A Pomeroy-Cragg. Improvement works carried out in 2001 by the Little Dorrit Park Group, and includes bronze plaques by Danuta Solowig Wedderburn. It is now supported by Bankside Open Spaces Trust’ who have installed a tiny Peace Garden, seating and a mosaic by a local artist. This is also thought to be where poet WH Davies lived.  Part of the site was Falcon Court which was the subject of various works on the dreadful living conditions of the poor, and was later subject to slum clearance schemes.  On the south side of the area in the late 19th was a steel works and a Leather warehouse
St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School. This is attached to the parish of Precious Blood and Our Lady of La Salette and Saint Joseph

Marshalsea Road
Marshalsea Road. In the early 1870s the idea of a new road to connect Southwark Bridge Road with Borough High Street was discussed as a way of helping the traffic congestion on London Bridge. In 1877 the Metropolitan Street Improvements Act allowed the Metropolitan Board of Works to undertake this. Marshalsea Road was thus opened in 1888. It was named after the former prison is named for the debtors’ prison which stood on the east side of Borough High Street. It stands on the site of The Mint.
Boundary mark.  This is at the junction with Southwark Bridge Road and marks the boundary between the parishes of St George and St Saviour.
Peabody Marshalsea Road estate. This covers much of the area of what was The Mint sanctuary. Peabody took over flats from the Improved Dwellings Co in 1964 and also those build by James Hartnol in 1970.
Ilfracombe Flats and Monarch Flats.  These blocks are on triangular site and were both built in 1888 by James Hartnoll from Southwark who made a fortune out of working-class housing built all over London. These flats were acquired by Peabody in 1970.
11 London Confectionary, Chocolate and Jam works. This was a depot handling jam and other items some of which were made on fruit farms in Swanley, Kent.
7 Fur warehouse. This appears to have been present from the 1890s through until the Second World War. In 1918 it is described as a ‘Hatters Furs’ business. Charles Cay & Co. hatters were in Marshalsea Street at an unidentified address.
5 in the 1930s this address is of motor car sales and spares business - William Clark (Spares) Ltd.

Mint Street
This is an old street in the Borough which covered the area of the Mint but much of its previous length has been taken by Marshalsea Road. Before the 1880s, when Marshalsea Road was built, Mint Street ran as far as Borough High Street where its entrance was called ‘Mint Gate’.
The Mint. This covered the area of Suffolk Place and the area previously owned by the Brandons, Earls of Suffolk. Henry VIII had set up mint Brandon House at a time when three additional mints were established to supplement that in the Tower. It was set up to produce silver coinage, and closed in 1551.  The area retained the name of the Mint despite its short existence.  It was handed, under Mary 1, to the diocese of York and they leased it for development of the worst sort and slums resulted. A condition of its 1550 charter turned it into a Liberty outside the jurisdiction of the City Corporatism. It became a place of refuge for debtors evading imprisonment and it also became a place where they could be exploited or die. In 1723 this status was lost in special legislation but nevertheless a terrible slum remained.  In the later 19th conditions there were exposed by a series of books and articles which drew attention to the conditions and improvements began.
Douglas Flats, Built by Improved Dwellings Co. in 1886 as part of a slum clearance scheme. The company which built them was founded in 1863 by Sydney Waterlow, the printworks owner who, interested in philanthropic housing, built flats which were self-contained, but with rents were slightly higher than Peabody's. Peabody took them over in 1964.
St Saviours Union Workhouse. In 1729 the parish of St. George the Martyr set up a ‘poor house’ in Mint Street. The Master was an expert in woolen goods and the inmates were set to work producing saleable items. In 1782 the ‘poor house’ was replaced by a larger building with administration and public offices on the Mint Street frontage. It was built for 624 inmates with 14 infirmary wards and a vagrants section. Conditions were reported as appalling with neglect of every sort.  In 1869 St. George’s became part of the St.Saviour’s Poor Law Union.  The buildings continued in use until the 1920s.  The site later became a depot for Southwark Council.
Mint Street Park. This is now on the site of the Poor Law building and the Evelina Hospital. It is the largest green park in Bankside with an Adventure Playground, a community stage, a renewed play area with a rocky climbing wall, and a ball court. It has been re-landscaped by Bankside Open Spaces Trust with raised beds created and planted by a gardening club working with Putting Down Roots, a project run by St Mungo's Association for homeless people. There is a mural on the wall of a house.

Pepper Street
All Hallows church remains. The door of the church fronts on to Pepper Street and the Copperfield Street garden area and other buildings to the rear. It is understood that the habitable remains are now a housing co-operative.
Workhouse. A new workhouse was built here, designed by George Gwilt the elder for the St.Saviours parish.  This opened in 1777. The land the workhouse was built upon was part of' Winchester Park owned by the Bishop of Winchester and had to vacate when the sub lease eventually expired in the early 19th
Harris Hat Factory. The former workhouse was leased by John Rawlinson Harris for a hat factory. When Southwark Bridge Road opened in 1819 the building was adapted into housing which faced onto the new road

Pocock Street
St Stephen’s Parliamentary Press. This was opened by the Speaker of the House of Commons in 1961. It was built on the site of the former SO Warehouse, next door to the old Parliamentary Press in Pocock Street, which had been destroyed in the war. Some 700 staff were employed here, producing Commons and Lords Hansards overnight by traditional hot-metal Linotype and Monotype and hand composition. They also produced the London Gazette, Bills, Acts of Parliament, the Vote Bundle etc. The building is now part of the County Court complex.

Redcross Way
This southern end of Redcross Way as part of The Mint sanctuary and where cholera first broke out in England in 1832.
Cathedral School. These school buildings date from 1977 and it was previously on the corner with Union Street and Redcross Way in buildings which are now the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education’s headquarters.  Before this it was on the Crossbones Graveyard site and has an even longer history which goes back to at least the early 18th.  It became a National School in the 1840s and in 1905 when St Saviour’s Church became Southwark Cathedral it was renamed as the Cathedral School of St Saviour and St Mary Overie and new buildings also resulted from actions of the London School Board. In 1977, the current school was built in Redcross Way on sites where tenement blocks had been demolished.
Redcross Cottages overlooking Redcross Gardens, were built in 1887 and part of the complex of cottages planned by Octavia Hill and fronting Ayres Street.
Red Cross Gardens. Laid out in 1887 by Julia, Countess of Ducie. The land was bought for £1,000 by Octavia Hill to stand to the rear of her cottages. A plaque was erected here by Octavia Hill in 1896. It was managed by Trustees and now restored by Bankside Open Gardens Trust who have their depot and offices nearby. Originally a gallery with covered playground under it ran along the south side and there was a bandstand.
Mowbray buildings. This and other tenement blocks in the street were built by Waterlow’s Metropolitan Industrial Dwellings Company. They were demolished in the 1970s and the sites are now used for Cathedral School.

Sanctuary Street
In the 19th this was Harrow Street
Farm House Temperance Mission. This was here in the 1870s when it was claimed, by some locals, that they could remember a farm here. It was a lodging house and also used for meetings. It appeared to be a Methodist organisation.

Sawyer Street
9 Whitehill House.  This is a block of flats, built in 1889 by L. Ambler for the Countess Selborne, one of Octavia Hill's associates
Finch’s Grotto. This was on what is now the corner with Southwark Bridge Road. It was a place of entertainment in the 18th century with gardens where there was a medicinal spring. A grotto was built over the spring and water cascaded over embankments.   The garden was planted with shrubs and trees, and extended over the area where Winchester House is today. It went out of business by the 1770s.
Grotto Place Playground
New Grotto Burial Ground. In 1777 St Saviour’s Parish bought the grotto site and opened it as a burial ground.

Scovell Road
Stones End Day Centre and the Scovell Estate

Southwark Bridge Road
Previously called Guildford Street and, before that Bandy Leg Walk. Named after Sir Richard Guildford. When Southwark Bridge was opened in 1819 this was its approach road to the south
Welsh Congregational Chapel. In 1774 a Welsh service was held in Smithfield and in 1785 when a Welsh Chapel was built. In 1806 a chapel was built in Little Guildford Street, and the freehold bought about 1870. A new chapel was then built and the current chapel is on the same site but the entrance now faces Southwark Bridge Road. In a 1990 storm part of the roof and two chimneys fell into the Chapel which was re-opened six months later
168 Winchester House.  This is the east wing of what was originally St Saviours workhouse probably built by George Gwilt senior. When the road was built, the east wing faced onto to and was converted into two houses with pilasters and a balustrade along with porches added. It was the home of Eyre Massey Shaw, the first chief officer of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (later the London Fire Brigade). It was the London Fire Brigade headquarters until 1937 they moved to a new building on the Albert Embankment. There were Extensions to the bulldog for the Fire Brigade in 1878 and again in 1911. It became the London Fire Brigade Museum which has now closed with items in storage.
Fire station. Built in 1878, by Alfred Mott, chief architect to the Brigade under the Metropolitan Board of Works. The frontage to a central range with three appliance bays and a five storey square watch tower. On the lintels are 'MFB', '1878' and 'MBW'. There is an extension built in 1911 with four appliance bays a vehicle access arch. There are other buildings with a range facing the drill yard and offices, a paint and repair shop. Inside are original staircases, sliding poles two stone plaques in the reception area. Upstairs are long corridors with offices, recreation rooms, and dormitories. This is of interest because of its rarity and an early example of a fire station-type as an identifiable building. It was an influential design with established a prototype.
London Salvage Corps No. 3 Station (D District), opposite the headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade Station in Southwark Bridge Road and on the corner with Lant Street. From there they protected the whole of south London. The corps began operations in 1866 to reduce the loss and damage caused by fires, to help mitigate the effects of fire and of fire-fighting and to salvage both premises and goods affected by fire.
134 South London Brewery. This was founded in 1760. In the 1930s it was registered as Jenner's Brewery Ltd. but in 1939 it was acquired by Beamish & Crawford Ltd. And then Woodhead's Brewery Ltd. acquired a stake in 1944. It closed in 1964 and the buildings were demolished
96 Goldsmith's Arms. Large pub next to what was the London   Fire   Brigade's training headquarters. It is said to have started in Finches Grotto, was burnt down in 1796 and rebuilt. It was damaged in again in the Second World War and was again rebuilt.  It was a two-bar pub with darts and shove-halfpenny. It has also been known as The Escape. This has now closed.
144 site of the Britannia Pub. Now demolished.
65 Fox Pub. Now demolished.
58 Bricklayers Society Hall. This was the headquarters of the Operative Bricklayers Society and/or their successor bodies. This trade union dated from 1848 and by successive merger is now part of Unite.
35 Brown Bear Pub. This was on the corner with America Street. It has been demolished.
56 Library.  The foundation stone for this was laid in 1893 for the St.Saviours Parish and it was designed by John Johnson.  It was extended in 1935. By the 1960s it had a specialist commercial reference library. The library closed in 1977.  It eventually became a community centre which closed in 1999 for lack of cash and he need for expensive repairs.
Evelina Children’s Hospital. This was founded in Southwark in 1869 as a result of a 19th tragedy. Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, at the of twenty-one left Vienna for London. In 1865 he married his cousin Evelina but in 1866 she died having gone into labour prematurely following a railway accident. Baron de Rothschild founded the Evelina Children's Hospital in the memory of her and their child. The hospital was designed by Dr Farre who was the first chair of its management committee and the hospital's consultant physician. It was a pioneer of unlimited visiting and there were Cubicles in every ward for mothers to stay beside their children. It amalgamated with Guy's Children's Department in 1947 entering the National Health Service as combined teaching hospitals. The hospital here closed in 1975 and it continues as a ward in Guys Hospital.

Stones End Street
Marks the eastern end of the Kings Bench

Sudrey Street
This was once called Little Suffolk Street
Gable Cottages.  The Cottages replicate those built for Octavia Hill but these were built for Rev T. Bastow in 1889 and arranged as an almshouse.  They were also designed by Elijah Hoole.
10 Rodney’s Head Pub. Demolished – probably closed before the Second World War

Swan Street
29 Trinity Arms. Pub opposite Southwark County Court built 1850 by Trinity House. Now closed and turned into flats
Southwark County Court Annexed to Inner London Crown Court.   This is on the site of the Southwark Court of Requests which was built in 1824. The legislation which set up the Southwark and East Brixton Court of Requests Act 1806 was repealed in 2012.
Holy Trinity  Schools.. This was a National School which stood on the east side of the street from 1841.  The architect was Richard Suter

Trinity Street,
Trinity House acquired the land it owns in Newington in 1661 on condition that it was held in trust "for Relieving comforting Easing & Maintaining of the poor Aged Sick Maimed Weak and decayed Seamen and Mariners of this Kingdom, their Wives children and Widowes where most need was".

Sources
Aldous. Village London
Bankside Open Spaces Trust. Web site
Borough Welsh Congregational Chapel. Web sit
Brewery History Society. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
British Numismatic Society. Web site
Byrne. Prisons and Punishments of London
Carr, Martin and Day. Web site.
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Diocese of Southwark. Web site
Exploring Southwark. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Golden. Old Bankside
GLIAS Newsletter
Goodlife Centre. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Greater London Council. Home Sweet Home
Historic England. Web site
HMsOldies. Web sit
Ideal Homes. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
London Encyclopaedia 
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Metropolitan Archive. Web site
Lucas. London
Peabody. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London 
Proclamation Trust. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Summerson. Georgian Buildings in London
Thorne. Old and New London
Trinity and Newington Residents Association. Web site
Workhouses. Web site