Thursday, 28 February 2013

Duke of Northumberland's River. North Feltham

Duke of Northumberland’s River
Duke of Northumberland’s River flows north eastwards

Post to the north Hatton
Post to the west Hatton Road
Post to the east Baber Bridge

Dukes Green Avenue
2-3 Courts for the Asylum and Immigration Service Tribunals.

Harlington Road West
Feltham Lodge. In use by Age Concern. This is a replacement for the original Lodge which was built between 1754 and 1800 for John Cole Steele. That building was demolished and the present lodge built in the late 1880s.
The Calen Centre. Disabled Living Centre in what was the Coach House. The building dates from around 1800.

Fagg's Road
Hatton Urban Farm.  Created in 1990 on the site of the old Borough parks’ nursery.  London’s largest community farm with an approved rare breeds farm.
Hatton Nursery. The Lodge remains in use by the Urban Farm. This was a local authority site.
101 Fire Station. This was built in 1961 to a Middlesex County Council design. The site is shared with training provider, Babcock
Ambulance Station. On the same site as the fire station
Transmitter – accessed by a footpath.  This provided VHF services to Heathrow Airport.
National Maritime Institute. In 1966 the Ministry of Technology took acquired responsibility for the shipbuilding function from the Board of Trade. When the Department of Trade and Industry was established in 1970, it moved there plus the National Physical Laboratory research establishment at Teddington. In July 1976, NPL's maritime responsibilities were transferred to the newly created National Maritime Institute at Feltham. The ship model testing section functions were moved here. These included No. 3 tank 400 metres long with a wave maker and No. 7 tank out of doors, and used for shallow water experiments. There were two water tunnels and a circulating water channel.  The Institute was privatised by Thatcher in 1983 and in 1985 became BMT formed from the merger with the UK's British Ship Research Association. The Feltham site was subsequently sold and buildings and newish tanks demolished. There is now a Tesco on much of the site.
Faggs Bridge. over the Duke of Northumberland’s River
Art deco installation on the north east corner of the junction with Staines Road is the preserved entrance to the Minimax factory which stood here. This firm started in England in 1903 in Leadenhall Street London became known their conical extinguisher, ‘The Minimax’. In 1911 they built a factory which was demolished sometime in the 1980′s. they were taken over by Pyrene and then by Chubb & Sons in 1967.  Low walls around the site also remain.

Mill Way
Spelthorne Sanatorium. Opened 1878 as a refuge for women “who have fallen into habits of intemperance." It took about twenty "patients,” who undertook laundry and needlework. It appears to have taken over the buildings of the industrial school in due course.
Industrial School. This appears to be the original of the Middlesex County Industrial School in 1854 and which eventually became a Borstal in 1910 on a site in Bedfont Road.

North Feltham Trading Estate

The estate is part of SEGRO (used to be Slough Estates) and is their largest estate in the Heathrow area. The site was at one time a sand and gravel works. Bedfont powder mills lay to the south on the Duke of Northumberland’s River but some old maps show works lying between the end of Green Man Lane (to the north of this square) and the works site to the south. To the south of the site and adjacent to the Duke of Northumberland’s River a large oblong reservoir is shown which appears to be associated with works to the east of this square. The Trading Estate is now dominated by industries supporting Heathrow Airport.
Merton Engineering. They made tractor shovels and excavators. In 1921 they were Merton Sand and Gravel Pits Ltd and changed tehir name to Merton Engineering and then to North Feltham Engineering (Merton) Ltd. They closed in 1985

Pier Road
Space Waye is Hounslow’s re-use and recycling centre for the disposal of public and trade waste.

Staines Road
At the eastern end of the stretch of this road some houses in the terrace appear to match those which were on site in the 19th and were associated with the Spelthorne Sanitorium and Industrial School.
Garage on the site of the Old Black Dog Pub which dated from at least the mid-18th. It could have been known as The Talbot previously. The old pub was replaced by a modern building in 1968. This replacement pub was demolished in the 1990s and the garage built. This was a Watney house.
Griffin Centre. Trading estate
Holmwood early 19th house, now a unit in the trading estate.
Crown and Sceptre Pub. A pub on this site dates back to at least the 19th.  Closed by the police in 2006. The site is now a supermarket.

Sources
BMT Ltd. Web site
Hatton Urban Farm. Web site
GLIAS Newsletter
Gunpowder Mills Study Group Newsletter (which discusses the existence of detailed plans for the gunpowder works on these sites but gives no site plans by which the northern sites on this square can be identified)
London Fire Brigade. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
National Archives. Web site.
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Postcards then and now. Web site
SEGRO. web site.

Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Duke of Northumberland's River Hatton Road

Duke of Northumberland’s River. Longford River
The duke of Northumberland’s River flows eastwards
The Longford River flows south eastwards

Post to the west East Bedfont
Post to the east North Feltham

Cains Lane
Land in Cains Lane was opened as a private airfield by Fairey Aviation in 1929. This was initially Harmondsworth Aerodrome but later called the Great Western Aerodrome.  This was requisitioned in 1944, along with much surrounding land, by the Air Ministry  but was never complete. It was handed to the Civil Aviation Authority in 1946.  A control tower for Very Heavy Transport Stations being the only completed structure. Thus began Heathrow.
Plesman House. Airline offices
Gate to open land to the north of nature conservation interest

Hatton

This Domesday village is now largely a service area for the airport. The name means ‘farmstead on the heath'.

Hatton Road

Greville House. This was also used as Bedfont Community Centre. This is an old school building dating from 1847.
Bedfont Primary School. The current school is a recent amalgamation of the Junior and Infants school. It was built post war on an area which had been the recreation ground but which had been used as an anti-aircraft gun battery site in the Second World War.
Marjory Kinnan School. Special School
Bedfont Sports Club. This was founded in 2002 when the Bedfont Sunday side were joined by Bedfont Eagles who became the clubs junior setup. Bedfont Sunday was founded in 1962 and Bedfont Eagles, in 1978, has 16 sides from ages 6 to 16. There is also Bedfont Sports Girls
Bedfont Football Club. Bedfont Football Club has played in one form or another since the 19th and in 1900 became the Bedfont Institute Club. They were at Bedfont Recreation ground until the Second World War when it was a Royal Artillery camp and the club used the buildings left behind. In 1968 they merged with Bedfont Rangers founded 1950, Fairholme United founded 1953 and later Interharvester. In 2010 the club closed for financial reasons.
The Orchard. Site of the football ground. Owned by Bedfont Social Club. There is a modern 100 seat stand on the pitch. The small corrugated iron shelter that originally stood on the site of the new stand is now behind the goal. There are two clubhouses.
Bedfont Social Club. Club house with regular events.
Bedfont Recreation ground. This was laid out as a recreation ground in the 1930s but was later taken over by the football club.
Baptist Church – used by Blessed Church International, Brooks of Life Ministries International, The Airport Church Revival Centre
Duke of Wellington Pub

Staines Road
The Load of Hay Pub
The Beehive Pub

Sources
Bedfont Primary School. Web site
Bedfont Sports Club. Web site
Field. Place Names of London
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West

Monday, 25 February 2013

Duke of Northumberland's River, Longford River, East Bedfont

The Duke of Northumberland’s River, Longford River. East Bedfont

The Duke of Northumberland's River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road.
The Longford River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road. It diverts to the south east at Two Bridges


Hotels and suburbs adjacent to Heathrow Airport

Post to the west Terminal Four
Post to the east Hatton Road

Great South West Road

This is the A315 which follows part of the original line of the Roman Road from the West Country to London. The road starts at the Clockhouse Roundabout the point where the A30 leaves the Roman route continued by the Great South West Road built in 1925.

Hatton Road
Bridges over the Duke of Northumberland’s River and the Longford River. Known as Two Bridges

Heathrow Airport
This square covers the south east corner of the airport – including the eastern section of Terminal Four.

Marriott Close
2 Two Bridges Day Centre

New Road
Bedfont Public Hall. Built by the Bedfont Public Hall Co., Ltd in 1884
Bedfont and Hatton Royal British Legion Hall.

Terminal Four Roundabout
Sterling Hilton. This was originally built as the Sterling and opened in 1990s. Foster's original building was an open-ended tube with a great hall and service areas at the sides. It is connected to Terminal Four by a covered walkway.

Sources

Hilton Hotels. Web site.
London Borough of Hounslow. web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West

Duke of Northumberland's River. Longford

Duke of Northumberland’s River
The River flows south and then turns west to follow the airport perimeter

Post to the north Harmondsworth
Post to the west Longford

Bath Road
485 Margaret Cassidy House. Originally owned by Ealing Family Housing Association but subsequently sold and used as a homeless people’s hostel. 
539 Orchard Cottage. Painted brick cottage with weatherboarding.
Timber-framed building with 16th front bay. Probably once part of a larger building

550 Longford Close. Mid 18th red brick house
Longford Cottage Timber-framed cottage 16th
561 Yeomans.  16th building with exposed timber framing, and brick filling. Irregular windows. Divided into flats.
The Stables. Mock Tudor
Phoenix House. Mock Tudor
Premier Inn Heathrow
Abbey Business Centre
Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Springhealth Leisure. This is part of the Thistle Hotel

Northern Perimeter Road
Heathrow Airport. The area covered by this square is largely operational

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
London Borough of Hillingdon, web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West

Sunday, 24 February 2013

River Colne, Duke of Northumberland's River. Harmondsworth

River Colne, Duke of Northumberland’s River
The Duke of Northumberland’s River and the River Colne flow southwards

Post to the north West Drayton
Post to the west Harmondsworth
Post to the south Longford

Acacia Mews
Built in the gardens of Acacia House

Accommodation Lane
The Lane now meets and becomes Tarmac Way. The old course of the road, Old Accommodation Lane, is a footpath to the west.

Bath Road
London Hong Kong Restaurant. This is a former four storey office building. The restaurant chain originated in central London.

Blondell Close
Modern houses.

Cambridge Close
Cambridge House stood in this area until after the Second World War

Colnbrook by-pass.
Opened in 1929.
British Telecom Computer Centre. Four storey data centre building plus workshop for BT vehicles. Dates from 1984
Harmondsworth Immigration Removal Centre. Opened in 2004. It is modelled on a high security, Category B criminal prison with wings running into a central area.
Sheraton Heathrow. American hotel chain.
Road Research Laboratory. Opened here in 1930 as Road Experimental Station. In 1933 it was taken over by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. It was here that a scale model of the Moehne Dam was built to test the bouncing bomb theory. In 1965 it returned to the Ministry of Transport and in 1966 the laboratory moved to Crowthorne

Footpath from High Street to West Drayton
This track going north to West Drayton crossing the M4 motorway is an ancient route alongside which have been found evidence of Saxon huts.

Harmondsworth
The village is recorded as ‘Hennondesyeord’ in a 14th copy of an Anglo-Saxon charter - that is ‘the fenced settlement of a man called Heremund’.  The Domesday Book records Vineyards here.  In 1069 William the Conqueror gave the Manor to the Benedictine Abbey of the Holy Trinity in Rouen. They established a cell here in 1211 which was perhaps two priests living in an ordinary house. There was thus a history of unpopular absentee Lords of the Manor and in 1281 some of their buildings were burnt down. In 1391 the manor passed to Winchester College who commissioned a manor house
Manor farm house. Early 19th building. The rear part seems older.
Stables. Converted to offices. They remain as they were but a new block has been added
Granary. Moved here from elsewhere. Weather boarded and on steddle stones.
St Mary's Church. The church was rebuilt by the Benedictines and the oldest parts date from the 12th. It has flint walls with stone dressings.  There is evidence of Norman work and a Saxon sundial on the wall. The Chancel re-built by Winchester College in 1396-8. There is a 15th hammer beam roof over chapel.  The upper stories and battlements of the tower are 16th topped by an open 18th cupola.  Old box pews and a font of circa 1200. It was not ‘restored’ in the 19th and thus retains authenticity.
Churchyard. In the churchyard is the tomb of Richard Cox who perfected the first Cox's Orange Pippin.
Burial ground. This lies beyond the churchyard. The modest Victorian tombs of the churchyard have been annexed to a field of rows of marble slabs
Barn. This was commissioned by Winchester College for the manor farm and its date confirmed by dendrochronology. it was completed in 1427 as the last of a series of barns built on the site and it is the second longest such barn in England it is of 12 bays and is some 190 feet long by 36 feet wide by 36 feet high It is thus probably on older foundations.   It is built of tree trunk pillars using no iron nails. In 1975 it was attacked by fire.  Inside, the main posts are carried on square Reigate stone blocks linked by low sleeper walls and the end walls rest on stone foundations consisting of large blocks of the local pebbly ferricrete – puddingstone. The roof construction is unusual in that it is double framed, with purlins to provide lateral strength. Following a fire and near dereliction it has been saved by English Heritage.

Hatch Lane
Baptist Chapel. Built 1884 replacing a building which was burnt down.

High Street
Five Bells. Timber framed building of about 1600 but which looks later. It faces the Church
Crown. This Pub has been much renovated and is older than it looks. It was originally a row of cottages converted Public House. It is 18th or even 17th
K6 Telephone Box
Radleys Garage Now gone.
Pillar-box 19th. This is outside The Gables Store.
Sun House. 16th building which was once a pub. It is timber framed with a colour washed brick facade.
Vicarage and Tower House. Built in 1845.
Stables. Next to Howcroft.  
New Vicarage. House which fits in with the older village.
Electricity Sub-Station.
Mintstead. Brick house with tile hanging.
Village Stores. 1930s brick and an oversized sign jars.
The Forge. Single storey building with a 19th house.
The Gable Stores. 19th building with painted brick walls
Gate posts and railings which belonged to Cambridge House
Acacia Lodge. The main house is dated at 1725. Modern housing in the grounds. 
Greenwoods.  On the site of the Baptist Church Hall
Howcroft. Part of the building timber framed, possibly 16th

Holloway Lane
Home farm. 19th barns and other farm buildings

Moor Lane
Old School House. Converted into housing. This was Harmondsworth National School built in 1846 by public subscription. With the formation of a School Board a year later it became Harmondsworth Board School. It closed when the new school was built in 1907 and went into commercial use.
Garden walls of Harmondsworth Hall
Scotchlake Farm. Various trading units and scrap
Bridge over the Duke of Northumberland’s River with fancy stone coping
Home Farm. ‘Pig City’

School Road
Harmondsworth Primary School. The present school was completed in 1975 in the grounds of the previous school building
Harmondsworth and Longford Community Centre. This was a school built in in 1907 and is now used as a village Community Centre. Harmondsworth National School was built in 1846. The school, stood slightly south of Moor Lane. By the end of the 19th century this was known as Harmondsworth Board School. New buildings were erected here in 1906-7 by the local authority, when it was called a mixed county primary school.

Saxon Way
Saxon Way Trading Centre

Skyport Drive
Heathrow Summit Centre. This consisted of six units around a courtyard with a common loading area at the centre. An access road runs through the middle
Trading and industrial units

Speedbird Way
British Airways HQ. Waterside. British Airways originally intended to build "Prospect Park" on Harmondsworth Moor but a later plan promised that green space would be conserved. Work began on a derelict site in 1995. The building was opened from late 1997 and May 1998 and the public park opened in 1998. The architects were Niels Torp with Engineers Cundall, and Buro Happold. The building has six sections backing onto a glazed atrium each section representing a continent served by British Airways with appropriately themed trees. There is a health centre, hairdressing and beauty salon, travel centre, supermarket, bank, restaurants and cafés and a 400-seater auditorium. In the offices it is all hot desking. British Airways consolidated several offices here and there are about 4000 employees
Swan Lake. Landscaped lake at the back of the British Airways complex

Summerhouse Lane
1 Depot. Brick building with white painted doors.
Recreation ground
Harmondsworth Hall. 17th house with 18th chimney and front. In the 20th became a hotel. It also has impressive gardens walls.
The Grange now called Harvard House. It is dignified and late 17rth. Inside there is restored staircase with symmetrical balusters a conservatory at the back.

Sources
Field. London place names,
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Government. Web site
Middlesex Churches
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
McKean and Jestico. Architecture
National Archive. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West,
Sherwood. Harlington and Harmondsworth
Stevenson. Middlesex
The Kingston Zodiac
Walford .Village London
Waterside. Wikipedia web site

Saturday, 23 February 2013

Duke of Northumberland’s River, River Colne, Wraysbury River, Frays River West Drayton

Duke of Northumberland’s River, River Colne, Wraysbury River, Frays River
The River Colne flows southwards. It is joined by Frays River from the east. The Wraysbury River leaves it to the west. The Duke of Northumberland’s River begins as a cut off the Colne and leaves it to the east.

Post to the west Thorney
Post to the north West Drayton
Post to the south Harmondsworth


Cricketfield Road
Anglers Retreat Pub. Where some interesting nascent bands have played.
Bailey bridge on the site of an earlier ford
Colne Park. Caravan and Travellers site. It has 20 pitches with individual amenities blocks that include a kitchen, bathing facilities and a toilet.
Cricket ground. The records of West Drayton Cricket Club date from 1882: with a star player in the 1930's. In the 21st the ground is unused and pavilion derelict.

Donkey Lane
Scrap yards

Duke of Northumberland’s River
Also called the Isleworth Mill River, even in this area

Drayton Point
This marks confluence of Frays River and the Colne main stream. There is reference to the building of a timber weir here in 1664 and a wooden jetty which survived into the mid-19th and ran from the point. In 1842 there were plans for a weir on both streams and were marked on subsequent maps. They are not there now

Footpath from Harmondsworth




This path crosses the M4 on a bridge. It is an an ancient route alongside which have been found evidence of Saxon huts, These were standard circular huts but one included rectangular building with an apsidal endl

Harmondsworth Moor
Harmondsworth Moor Country Park. This  has been awarded Green Flag status every year since 2001. It was opened in 2000 and is  the largest public park to be built in the London area in the last 100 years. The area is an old  gravel working and landfill site.  It is managed by British Airways and has meadows, rivers, lakes, ponds, 70,000 newly planted trees and several miles of new paths.
Glebelands
Middle Meadow
Farm Fields

M4
Footbridge. Littler Benty Bridge

Mayfields Lake
Carp fishery

Mill Road
Old Meadows. Henry Havelock Ellis lived here before 1912. It was then known as Woodpecker Farm. It is a 16th timber framed farmhouse with an extra bay which was probably a separate cottage. It now belongs to the National Trust.

Saxon Lake
Lake recently formed from gravel workings

The Common
DVLA vehicle pound.

Wise Lane
Land for a council estate was acquired in 1937, but building did not begin until 1953
Townmead Secondary School. Closed 1993
90 Meadows Community Centre

Wraysbury River
This is the western branch at Drayton Point also known, variously, as the Heatham Stream, the Hooke, and the Poyle Mill Stream

Sources
British History on Line. West Drayton.
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
Uxbridge Gazette. Web site Post to the north West Drayton

River Crane Beavers

River Crane
The Crane flows south eastwards
TQ 11460 75726

Housing on what was the area of Hounslow Barracks and other military buildings with some of the surrounding facilities for families there.

Post to the west Hatton
Post to the south Baber Bridge

Arundel Road
Beavers Community Primary School.  Built for the new estate’s residents in the 1950s. Many pupils came from military families stationed at Hounslow barracks and thus had only a brief stay.

Barrack Road
This is crossed by the water main from Kempton Park at the corner of Cardington Square, where is disappears underground.

Beavers Crescent
Built as housing for military families. This has now been taken over and renovated as local authority housing

Beavers Lane
Beavers’ the name is a corruption of ‘Babers’; Upper and Lower Babers were fields here.
The Beaver. Closed. Estate pub.
Beavers Farm.  This stood near the area where Salisbury Road meet the lane and stood in a triangular site with field all around.

Beavers Lane estate
Built from the early 1950s partly on the site of a large sand and gravel extraction facility.

Beavers Lane Camp
Army Camp. Latterly, until 1983 it was the home of 10th Signals Regiment but had previously seen other army units – a battalion of Welsh Guards, a Middlesex Regiment, and others. . It was the Infantry Training Centre in 1947 with accommodation for almost 1,500 staff. The last building to remain on site was the guardroom – but mainly demolished in 2000.  This has been replaced partly by Prologis Park – a trading and industrial area

Cardington Square
Crossed and skirted by the water main from Kempton Park.

Cavalry Crescent
Garden of reflection for the families of soldiers serving in Afghanistan. The trees are adorned with yellow ribbons. The garden was jointly created by the Army Welfare Service, environmental charity Groundwork Thames Valley and families themselves

Donkey Wood
Donkey Wood is a nature reserve on the west bank of the Crane. The part to the south of this square was the gunpowder mill site.

Green Lane
Heston and Hounslow Rifle Club. The club was founded in 1912 as The Heston Rifle Club. In 1926 it merged with the Hounslow and Spring Grove Rifle Club and became the Hounslow, Heston and Spring Grove Rifle Club. However in the early 1960s it became apparent they would need a new site and eventually Hounslow Borough Council leased land here for a range and clubhouse from 1967. On moving the club name was changed to Heston and Hounslow Rifle Club.
Heathrow Gymnastics Club, The club moved to its present site in 1982. It is thought to have some of the best facilities in Europe
Green Lane Open Space. This has been improved with football pitches on formerly derelict lane

Hounslow Barracks
Cavalry Barracks. This was built in 1793 by James Johnson, near the Bath Road, with accommodation for four hundred men.  The site has been used for two hundred years by the British Army. It was one of 40 new barracks around London to guard against possible French Invasion in the late 18th
Hardinge Block. Barracks built 1872-1880, designed at the Inspector General of Fortifications' Office by Major HC Seddon, RE in brick. Inside are barrack rooms with NCO rooms to the front and washrooms.
Barrack Master's House. Built 1876, by Major CB Ewart, RE in brick. The Barrack Master was responsible for organisation
Former Chapel. Built between 1845 and 1851 but later became a dormitory.
Barracks Hospital.  This later became a sergeant's mess and is now housing. Built 1793, by J Johnson, architect for the Barrack Department; altered 1920-1950. The hospital is was part of the original plan of the barracks,
Married Quarters of 1860 in brick. Single room flats off a veranda with washrooms in towers. One of the first purpose-built married quarters, installed post Crimean War army reforms. The single-family rooms had a bed and a crib, two cupboards and a range
Officers' Mess. Built 1793 by James Johnson with officers’ quarters, extended by C B Ewart 1876.
Stables. Converted to accom­modation. Built 1793 by James Johnson with troopers' dormitories over. Veranda added in 1861 by Lothian Nicholson, RE. inside are cast iron columns; some still with tack-hooks and there are hay-baskets on the walls. Outside are hitching rings and. Areas of Staffordshire Blue paving with urine tunnels.
Regimental Hospital. Built 1862, by Captain Douglas Galton, RE with a pavilion plan of wards flanking a central administrative block with kitchen and stores. Galton was a hospital reformer and an associate of Florence Nightingale. Hounslow was based on the 60-bed in-line hospital and may be the earliest surviving.
NAAFI. Canteen, reading room and sergeant's mess. Built 1875, signed by Colonel CB Ewart, RE, Inspector General of Fortifications office; extended in the 20tj
The Armoury. Built 1875 by C B Ewart, Royal Engineers. Colonnade on the ground floor. Windows with heavy cast iron shutters with firing loops and massive bolts.
Drill Ground
St. Edwards Roman Catholic Chapel. Opened 1948

Meadows Estate
Meadows was built in 1971 by the Greater London Council as the Beaver Estate and is made up of 631 Bison Wall frame houses, maisonettes and flats. it was later owned and managed by the United Kingdom Housing Trust, but was transferred to North British Housing in the early 1990’s who then changed to Places for People. The estate was renamed the Meadows in 2005 to meet residents’ wishes to distinguish it from the adjacent Council owned Beaver Lane Estate.

Rosemary Avenue
Beaversfield Park. The park was opened in 1935. The name is believed to have come from its site near Beavers Farm. It has a large area of open grassland. A raised area lies over an air raid shelter. The tennis courts have been converted into multi-sports play areas.

Salisbury Road
Beavers Library. Part of The Hub

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn. Face of London
Field. London place names
Heston and Hounslow Rifle Club. Web site
Hidden London. Web site
Hounslow Chronicle. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Stevenson, Middlesex
Walford. Village London

Friday, 22 February 2013

River Crane - Hatton

River Crane
The Crane flows south eastwards

Post to the north Cranford
Post to the east Beavers
Post to the south North Feltham

Donkey Wood
In this northern part of the wood are mounds which would have been blast walls against explosions in explosives sites

Earhart Way
Leads from the airport to the British Airways Training facility and the Haslemere Heathrow Trading Estate

Eastern Perimeter Road
Perishable Handling Facility. Temperature controlled warehousing plus a border inspection post. Opened in 1988 it handles vegetables, fresh fruit and flowers.

Faggs Road
Temple Hatton. This was a country house in the bend in the road. It was owned by Frederick Pollock, lawyer and baronet. In 1899 it was sold and became St.Anthony's Home.
St Anthony’s home. This was a Roman Catholic orphanage, sold in 1958

Girling Way
Eastern Balancing reservoir. Providing for airport runoff, flow balancing and fire-fighting aeration
Reservoir Fire Pump House
Sunlife Trading Estate

Great South West Road
A30 – The road from London to Lands End. This section built in 1925.  Dockwell Lane – the road follows the line of this road on this route west of the junction with Parkway
Dockwell Isolation Hospital, This was opened in the 1890s by Heston & Isleworth Urban District Council.  There was a scandal in 1895 about conditions there and a new hospital was built at Mogden.  The Dockwell Hospital was kept for smallpox epidemics, when staff would be sent there from Mogden.  Otherwise it was empty.  As smallpox became rarer in 1921 some of the buildings were sold by auction an agreement was made to send patients to the Surrey Smallpox Hospital. In 1928 it was reopened for ten smallpox patients and, in 1930 for diphtheria patients. It closed in 1935.
Heathrow Causeway Trading Estate
Church of the Good Shepherd. Built as part of the Beavers Estate in the early 1950s. It was funded using money saved by not rebuilding the bombed church of St John's Wapping

Green Lane
Heathrow International Trading Estate
Wallbrook Business Centre

Green Man Lane
Green Man Pub.  Dates from the late 18th and was the haunt of highwaymen
Glazing mill – this lay beyond the end of the lane up to the 1890s.  Glazing is a process used by some gunpowder manufacturers. The Bedfont Gunpowder Mills lay to the south.  Some brickwork and ruins remain.

Southern Balancing reservoir.
Providing for airport runoff, flow balancing and fire-fighting aeration.

St. Anthony’s Way
Industrial and service buildings on the site of St.Anthony’s Home.

The Causeway
Divides the two balancing reservoirs

Viking Centre
This centre housed numerous training schools, stores and facilities for British Airways

Sources
Hatton. Wilipedia. Web site.
Heston and Hounslow Rifle Club.  Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West

Thursday, 21 February 2013

River Crane Cranford

River Crane
The Crane continues to flow south
 TQ 10280 76864

Suburban area along the old Bath Road

Post to the north Cranford
Post to the south Hatton


Bath Road
618 Jolly Waggoner. Big roadhouse style pub.
680 Cranford College. It appears to be built on the site of a pool which was in the grounds of Meadowbank
686 Meadowbank Adult Education Centre. Opened 2010.  It had previously been a community centre. It is either on, or close to, the site of the Speedbird Club – and the site of Meadowbank House.
700 Travel Lodge hotel
Milestone. 18th outside the Travel Lodge in the pavement,
745 Berkeley Arms Hotel.  When the Bath Road was widened the hotel was rebuilt in 1932 on a much grander scale. It was noted for a Florentine restaurant and dance floor. It is now part of the Ramada Hotel
804 Europa House. This block dates from the 1960s.
Site of the Church of the Holy Angels. This was accessed from a path off the Bath Road. It began as a chapel of ease in the 19th in a Church of England school. In 1935 a corrugated-iron mission church was built by Maurice Child with a green cement floor, and concrete altar and font with furnishings given by local pubs. In 1940 it was taken over by the London Diocesan Home Mission but in 1941 it was bunt down. It was rebuilt immediately in a Rodney hut furnished by Martin Travers built of steel with a hooter rather than bells. It burnt down in 1965 and the current church in the High Street was built around 1970. The site of the church may be reflected in the tarmacked car parking area at the rear of Europa House.
Berkeley Parade. The shops with 'château’ type buildings and little slated turrets match the 'Berkeley Arms' across the road and date from 1932.
Cranford Library
Cranford National School. Opened 1883 west of Dudset Lane

Berkeley Avenue
Cranford Primary School.  The school moved here in 1937 from the building on the Bath Road. A nursery was added in 1971.
Sand and gravel pit before the Second World War on the site of the primary school.

Dudset Lane
This road led to Dudset Farm, a lorry park, which lay on other side of the river Cray, and thus it leads first to a bridge which is on private land

Firs Drive
1 Cranford Baptist Church

Meadow Bank Gardens
Meadowbank was a house here which became the headquarters of BOAC’s Speedbird social club, later replaced by the current Concorde Club.
Meadowbank was established in 1946 as the export shed for the British Overseas Airways Corporation. This was essentially a collection point where goods for export were sorted and assigned to flights.
Air Scouts Hall

River Crane
The Greater London Council straightened a section of the River Crane in Hounslow artificially creating Oxbow lakes that have since become overgrown and heavily silted.

Silver Jubilee way
Heathrow Estate. Trading estate
Cranebank. British airways training centre. Opened 1969 for cabin crew training.

Waye Avenue
Sewage Works. This lay south of Waye Avenue next to the river. It was opened by Staines Rural District Council in the 1900s, and lasted until the 1940s.

Woodfield
Woodfield County Secondary School. 1960s predecessor to Cranford Community College. Now in the High Street

Sources
British History Online. Cranford. Web site.
Church of the Holy Angels. Web site
Clunn. London Marches On
Milestone Society. Web site.
Pevsner and Cherry.  North West London

Wednesday, 20 February 2013

River Crane - Cranford

River Crane
The Crane continues to flow south
TQ 10977 77779

Parkland and facilities around the old Bath Road and the village of Cranford


Post to the north Cranford le Mote
Post to the south Cranford

Avenue Park
The park was part of the grounds of Avenue House.  It is on the other side of the River Crane from Cranford Park. The area was requisitioned in the Second World War and was subsequently handed to Heston and Isleworth Borough Council which laid it out as a public park in 1952, with a rest garden and children's playground. In the north is a wooded area, with trees bordering the river.  There was once an avenue of oak trees, some of which were grown from acorns taken from the crops of pheasants shot by Richard Brinsley Sheridan. Three of these oak trees remained in 1952. A plaque about this was on an arch in the grounds, which was demolished.
Avenue House. This was an 18th house demolished in 1949. It was home to John Graham, a barrister friend of artist George Morland and the playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan.
The local authority opened its first Sports Arena here. Closed in 1972.

Bath Road
Cranford Bridge is on the site of the ford over the Crane that gave Cranford its name. There was a bridge here by 1274, and the current bridge dates from 1915
Mound. This is possibly a motte and is 80yds north-north-east of the bridge. It is circular and enclosed by a ditch. A wartime block house and was built on it. 

Brunel Close
Built in the grounds of Isambard Brunel’s house

Crane Lodge Road
The British Airways Concorde Club. Sports and extensive social facilities. This was originally the Speedbird Club on the west side of what was Heston Airport.

Cranford Lane, Harlington
Bridge over the Crane where Cranford Lane, Harlington, becomes Park Lane, Cranford. It is a hump-backed bridge

Cranford Lane, Heston
Redwood Estate. Local authority housing built in the early 1960s

Cranford Park
Frogs Ditch – this provides the boundary at the southern edge of the park
Grassland. This is the main open area of the Park and is mown and used for activities like the flying of model planes. There is a very large Sweet Chestnut near the Ha-Ha.
Drain. This is a ditch which runs parallel with the canalised stretch of the Crane. There are pipes at either end which suggest that it was dug to carry water.  An extension at its end carries trees and scrub.
Southern meadow. Since 1991 this area of grassland has been allowed to develop into a wildflower meadow. Before the Second World War it was traditional pasture.
Lawns. A lawn area lies beyond the car park. It includes some large oaks which attract birds like nuthatches. There is a big lime tree with bunches of mistletoe. There is the stone base of an old sundial
Cranford Wood. This is an area of old woodland with many native and exotic trees. In the spring there is bluebells with chestnut trees in flower. There are nest boxes for birds and hibernaculum for bats.
Ice house. This is square area with trees, almost surrounded by a ditch.
Wetland. This area originally was made up of hollows and channels flooded during the winter. It is now two ponds and marshland linked by ditches. There are common newts and water voles on the river Crane use this wetland as a winter refuge. Further south is another wetland area. Which is a ditch and marsh ending at Frogs Ditch by Cranford Lane. There are two small pools and another small pond in the marshy area a sluice/dam has been put at the southern end of the ditch.

Firs Drive
The road was designed by D. A. Adam as part of The Firs Estate by John Laing and Sons Ltd.

High Street
This was once called Tently Lane.
The village lock-up. This round house is in brick with a conical roof. It dates from 1838 and was used to imprison wrongdoers.
Holy Angels Church. The present church is the third. The first was built by Maurice Child in 1935 in the Bath Road. This was an iron church and was burnt down in 1941 and replaced and was again burnt down in 1965. The current church was built around 1970. It was designed by the Norman Haines Partnership in brick.
St Mary and St.Christopher.  The parish was founded in 1967. The church was built in 1970 and consecrated in 1979. It was designed by Gerald Goalen in white brick in a very unusual polygonal form.
39 Cranford Memorial Hall. Charity run hall used for dance classes, etc.
40 Stable Cottage. 18th brown brick house set back from road
42 Stanfield House. May have been where Isambard Brunel lived. It is a large 18th brick house set back from the road.
53 Calvary Baptist church
123 Queen's Head Pub. Says it was built in 1604 bit largely rebuilt in 1940. Two old fireplaces remain.
Cranford Social Centre. Founded in 1944 and in 1945 became Cranford Community Association.
Cottage Homes. Provide housing for old age pensioners who are long standing residents of Cranford
Springfield. Warren de la Rue built a round house observatory here in 1857 for his 13-inch reflecting telescope. H experimented in solar and lunar photography, but in 1874 gave it to Oxford University
The Cedars Primary School. This is a special school run by London Borough of Hounslow.
The Cedars, was a Georgian House. It is said that Isambard Brunel lived there, but probably didn’t. Now gone
Sheepcote House was a Georgian House. Now gone.
Cranford Community College. This was originally Woodfield Secondary School opened in 1954 in the Great south West Road. In 1975 the present school building was opened and the school transferred to the new site on High Street.
Stagecoach Theatre Arts. This is located in Cranford Community School
Jolly Gardeners Pub. A hanging sign on the end wall says 'Taylor Walker' the brewery's cannon sign above

River Crane
The River Crane is on the east side of Cranford Park and is the boundary between the London Boroughs of Hillingdon and Hounslow. North of the Park the river’s name changes to the Yeading Brook. In Cranford Park the natural section of the River Crane includes only the western riverbank from Cranford Lane. The rest of the river is canalised from south of the footbridge to Avenue Park, to the end of Cranford Park. This was straightened and widened for the M4 motorway. Before this there was an ornamental lake running north and south of the Driveway Bridge built between 1720 and 1754 and was fed by the river.

Sources
British History Oneline. Cranford
Holy Angels. Web site.
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Middlesex county council; . History of  Middlesex
Osborne. Defending London.
Pastscape. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North West
Queens Head. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
St.Mary and St.Christopher. Web site
Walford .Village London,

Monday, 18 February 2013

River Crane - Cranford le Mote

River Crane
The Crane continues to flow south
 TQ 09983 78446

Cranford Park and church and much of the old village - trapped between the M4 and the airport. Some industrial buildings to the north


Post to the north Bulls Bridge
Post to the south Cranford

Carfax Road
Maurice Child Hall Memorial Hall. Maurice Child was rector of St. Dunstan’s in 1935.  He was known as the Playboy of the Western Church

Church Lane
The Hartlands. Travellers’ site. This was originally an itinerant site which was licensed in 1968 and had approximately twenty plots
1 The Old  Rectory. This is an 18th building with a 19th front in brick but with a timber-framed wing. . According to tradition it was once a farm-house. In 1939 the Air Ministry bought it for a proposed extension to Heston airport and in 1958 this land was acquired by the Ministry of Transport. The building is thus no longer within Cranford Park as it was cut off when the M4 was built. It is now in use as day nursery.

Cranford,
The name - fish were weighed by the cran and in the Kingston Zodiac Cranford is on Pisces

Cranford Park
Homestead Moat which was the site of the Manor of Cranford le Mote. It remains with the Berkeley family today. The site of the moats was however owned by Middlesex County Council and subsequently by the local authority.
St Dunstan's Church. Records of the church go back to the 1360s. However it is thought that a church has stood here from the 7th and it is mentioned that a Roman 'little chapel', of the type which stood at cross-roads stood here. The church is also mentioned at Doomsday Book. It was probably built in the 13th with a 15th tower. A fire in the nave led to its rebuilding in brick in 1710 by Elizabeth Dowager Countess of Berkeley. Restorations done in 1895 by J L Pearson and in 1935-6 by artist Martin Travers.  It is in flint, rubble and red brick. Inside it is rendered and painted white. The floor is flagged with grave slabs, and there is Jacobean black and white marble in the sanctuary. There is a medieval wall painting in the chancel, and a stone spiral staircase to the tower. there is a 20th gallery which is the ringing chamber for a peal of six bells one of which dates from 1380 cast by William Burford of Aldgate. The clock is by Gillet & Co, 1886. The area round the altar was made in the 1930s by Travers in wood which looks like draped tapestry. There is a sanctuary lamp by arts and crafts silversmith Omar Ramsden and a collection of stained glass with a window by Kempe, 1895. A Great War memorial in a window has a bi-plane and tank and another war memorial is made up of a statue. There are many important monuments inside the church. The vestry is from the 1950s and the church was still lit by gaslight in 1958. Outside a stone coat of arms of the Berkeley family is on the eastern end.
Churchyard. There is a timber lych gate in timber on a brick plinth and it is surrounded by brick walls. There are of specimen trees including a Wellingtonia, cedar, yew and lime. There is the gravestone of comedian Tony Hancock and his mother. South is a lime tree with mistletoe and an old sweet chestnut
Cranford House. This was connected to Cranford St. John manor, rather than with Cranford le Mote. This was held by the Templars who let it out as a farm. Houses near the church are mentioned from the 17th. Cranford House was on the site of a mansion-house of 1664 and was extensively rebuilt by James, Earl of Berkeley in the18th.  It was a three storey brick house used by the Berkeley family until the Great War.  It was demolished in the 1940s.
Cranford House Stables, these are 18th and consist of a rectangular building which was originally L-shaped. On the ground floor are ten semi-circular arches, eight of which are dummy.it has a central pediment with a clock and bell tower - The clockmaker L. Bradley made the Turret Clock in 1721 and it is said to have come from Hampton Court Palace. The bell is now at Berkeley Castle. A weather vane has disappeared. The rooms above were the living quarters for the stable hands. In the stables are the stalls, troughs, hayracks and tiling and also a birthing stall. Brown Longeared Bats use the roof space. This was the home of the Berkeley Hunt.
Wall. This is the curved remains of a crinkle-crankle wall from the 17th.
Driveway Meadow. This has flowers and thistles and dock
Kitchen garden walls which are buttressed around a garden area and long 18th ha-ha walls marking the boundary of a plantation. There is a bricked-up tunnel entrance in the walk that is rumoured to lead to the Cellar, St Dunstan’s Church and even the Bath Road
Mound of earth which covers the cellars of Cranford House. Built around 1720. They consist of a red brick barrel vaulted cellar wide with vaults springing from a Portland stone piers.  The cellar can only be accessed via a locked trap door.
Cranford Park Bridge. 18th brick and cement rendered bridge. One arch with piers on a semi-circular plinth designed to carry urns.
Watersplash Wood. this is bordered by Watersplash Lane. there are dense stands of Elm suckers along with ash and hawthorn
Northern Grassland.  This was traditionally used for recreation grassland and kept short.
Church Field. This area is used for the annual summer fair. Under the the centre is the cesspit for the park toilets. Trees include lime, false acacia and cherry trees and the public can plant trees for remembrance or commemoration. there are  six evergreen oaks planted in 1972 in memory of Arthur Skeffington, MP for Hayes and Harlington from 1953  to 1971 and who was also First President of the Aboricultural Association from 1964 to 1971
Church Wood. This has a mix of tree species - suckering elm, ash, willow, black poplar and hawthorn. There are holes in the ground which may have been a badger sett.

Dog Kennel Covert
This was where the Berkeley family had their dog kennels – presumably hounds used for hunting. The River Crane meandered through this woodland before it was straightened but there is little evidence of the original path,. There are several ditches supporting plants gipsywort and meadowsweet. In the woods are suckering elms, amongst other trees species and scrub. Some coppicing has been undertaken. There is a nature trail which accesses the west bank of the Crane. It runs parallel to the river. There are muntjac and bats

Hayes Road
Western International Market. Local authority owned air freight produce market opened in 1974. Now demolished
New Western International Market. Opened 2009
Drinking Fountain. It dates from 1877 in granite, cast iron railings and lamp standards. It has an octagonal spire with bowls to each side. The lamps are inscribed Geo Smith & Co Sun Foundry Glasgow. The east niche has an inscription: 'the gift of Mrs Wheeler the widow of Samuel Wheeler Esq formerly of Barrow Hills Chertsey Surrey and Brunswick Terrace Brighton 1877 erected by the Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association. It originally stood in Brentford Market but was originally designed for the embankment. It was moved to the Western Market in 1974 and now relocated to the new market

M4
Built in 1964, cutting through much of Cranford and isolating some of it.
The road here is on a reinforced concrete viaduct of 1964 built by Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners
Moat House Covert
The north part is the site of the manor house of Cranford-le-Mote. This was a secondary manor that formed part of Cranford Park along with Cranford St. John owned by Berkeley family. The Manor House stood in a moated area but the building was pulled down in 1780. Some remnants of the moat still exist  The southern boundary of the covert is marked with yews at regular intervals along a ditch. When the M4 was built a large orchard, dovecote and an ornamental lake were lost to construction. The woodland is dominated by suckering elm but there are number of other mature trees here especially ash and oak. Bluebells are numerous as is red campion and impenetrable bramble.

North Hyde Road
North Hyde Electricity Sub Station. Vast brick building.
7 The Crane. Pub

The Parkway
Moat House – the site of the original manor lie under the road

Watersplash Lane
There was a ford on the river here. The road is however closed through woodland and only exists at its north and south ends.

Sources
British History Online. Cranford. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Kingston Zodiac
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
London Gardens online. Web site
Middlesex Churches,
Middlesex County Council.  History of Middlesex
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
St.Dunstan’s Church. Web site.
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford. Village London,