The Crane flows south eastwards
TQ 11460 75726
Housing on what was the area of Hounslow Barracks and other military buildings with some of the surrounding facilities for families there.
Post to the west Hatton
Post to the south Baber Bridge
Community Primary School. Built for the
new estate’s residents in the 1950s. Many pupils came from military families
stationed at Hounslow barracks and thus had only a brief stay.
This is crossed
by the water main from Kempton Park at the corner of Cardington Square, where
is disappears underground.
Built as housing for military families. This
has now been taken over and renovated as local authority housing
name is a corruption of ‘Babers’; Upper and Lower Babers were fields here.
The Beaver. Closed. Estate pub.
Beavers Farm. This stood near the area where Salisbury Road
meet the lane and stood in a triangular site with field all around.
Beavers Lane estate
Built from the
early 1950s partly on the site of a large sand and gravel extraction facility.
Beavers Lane Camp
Army Camp. Latterly,
until 1983 it was the home of 10th Signals Regiment but had
previously seen other army units – a battalion of Welsh Guards, a Middlesex
Regiment, and others. . It was the Infantry Training Centre in 1947 with
accommodation for almost 1,500 staff. The last building to remain on site was
the guardroom – but mainly demolished in 2000.
This has been replaced partly by Prologis Park – a trading and
Crossed and skirted by the water main from
reflection for the families of soldiers serving in Afghanistan. The trees are adorned
with yellow ribbons. The garden was jointly created by the Army Welfare
Service, environmental charity Groundwork Thames Valley and families themselves
Donkey Wood is
a nature reserve on the west bank of the Crane. The part to the south of this
square was the gunpowder mill site.
Heston and Hounslow Rifle
Club. The club was
founded in 1912 as The Heston Rifle Club. In 1926 it merged with the Hounslow
and Spring Grove Rifle Club and became the Hounslow, Heston and Spring Grove
Rifle Club. However in the early 1960s it became apparent they would need a new
site and eventually Hounslow Borough Council leased land here for a range and
clubhouse from 1967. On moving the club name was changed to Heston and Hounslow
Gymnastics Club, The club moved to its present site in 1982. It is thought to have some of
the best facilities in Europe
Lane Open Space. This has been improved with football pitches on formerly
Cavalry Barracks. This was built in 1793 by James Johnson, near
the Bath Road, with accommodation for four hundred men. The site has been used for two hundred years by the
British Army. It was one of 40 new barracks around London to guard against
possible French Invasion in the late 18th
Hardinge Block. Barracks built
1872-1880, designed at the Inspector General of Fortifications' Office by Major
HC Seddon, RE in brick. Inside are barrack rooms with NCO rooms to the front
Barrack Master's House. Built
1876, by Major CB Ewart, RE in brick. The Barrack Master was responsible for
Former Chapel. Built between
1845 and 1851 but later became a dormitory.
Barracks Hospital. This later
became a sergeant's mess and is now housing. Built 1793, by J Johnson,
architect for the Barrack Department; altered 1920-1950. The hospital is was
part of the original plan of the barracks,
Married Quarters of 1860 in
brick. Single room flats off a veranda with washrooms in towers. One of the
first purpose-built married quarters, installed post Crimean War army reforms. The
single-family rooms had a bed and a crib, two cupboards and a range
Officers' Mess. Built 1793 by
James Johnson with officers’ quarters, extended by C B Ewart 1876.
Stables. Converted to accommodation. Built 1793
by James Johnson with troopers' dormitories over. Veranda added in 1861 by
Lothian Nicholson, RE. inside are cast iron columns; some still with tack-hooks
and there are hay-baskets on the walls. Outside are hitching rings and. Areas
of Staffordshire Blue paving
with urine tunnels.
Regimental Hospital. Built
1862, by Captain Douglas Galton, RE with a pavilion plan of wards flanking a
central administrative block with kitchen and stores. Galton was a hospital
reformer and an associate of Florence Nightingale. Hounslow was based on the
60-bed in-line hospital and may be the earliest surviving.
NAAFI. Canteen, reading room
and sergeant's mess. Built 1875, signed by Colonel CB Ewart, RE, Inspector
General of Fortifications office; extended in the 20tj
The Armoury. Built 1875 by C B
Ewart, Royal Engineers. Colonnade on the ground floor. Windows with heavy cast
iron shutters with firing loops and massive bolts.
Edwards Roman Catholic Chapel. Opened 1948
built in 1971 by the Greater London Council as the Beaver Estate and is made up
of 631 Bison Wall frame houses, maisonettes and flats. it was later owned and
managed by the United Kingdom Housing Trust, but was transferred to North
British Housing in the early 1990’s who then changed to Places for People. The
estate was renamed the Meadows in 2005 to meet residents’ wishes to distinguish
it from the adjacent Council owned Beaver Lane Estate.
Beaversfield Park. The park was opened in 1935. The
name is believed to have come from its site near Beavers Farm. It has a large
area of open grassland. A raised area lies over an air raid shelter. The tennis
courts have been converted into multi-sports play areas.
Beavers Library. Part of The Hub
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn. Face of London
Field. London place names
Heston and Hounslow Rifle Club. Web site
Hidden London. Web site
Hounslow Chronicle. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Walford. Village London