The River Colne flows southwards. It is joined by Frays River from the east. The Wraysbury River leaves it to the west. The Duke of Northumberland’s River begins as a cut off the Colne and leaves it to the east.
Post to the west Thorney
Post to the north West Drayton
Post to the south Harmondsworth
Anglers Retreat Pub. Where some interesting nascent bands have played.
Bailey bridge on the site of an earlier ford
Colne Park. Caravan and Travellers site. It has 20 pitches with individual amenities blocks that include a kitchen, bathing facilities and a toilet.
Cricket ground. The records of West Drayton Cricket Club date from 1882: with a star player in the 1930's. In the 21st the ground is unused and pavilion derelict.
Duke of Northumberland’s River
Also called the Isleworth Mill River, even in this area
This marks confluence of Frays River and the Colne main stream. There is reference to the building of a timber weir here in 1664 and a wooden jetty which survived into the mid-19th and ran from the point. In 1842 there were plans for a weir on both streams and were marked on subsequent maps. They are not there now
Footpath from Harmondsworth
This path crosses the M4 on a bridge. It is an an ancient route alongside which have been found evidence of Saxon huts, These were standard circular huts but one included rectangular building with an apsidal endl
Harmondsworth Moor Country Park. This has been awarded Green Flag status every year since 2001. It was opened in 2000 and is the largest public park to be built in the London area in the last 100 years. The area is an old gravel working and landfill site. It is managed by British Airways and has meadows, rivers, lakes, ponds, 70,000 newly planted trees and several miles of new paths.
Footbridge. Littler Benty Bridge
Old Meadows. Henry Havelock Ellis lived here before 1912. It was then known as Woodpecker Farm. It is a 16th timber framed farmhouse with an extra bay which was probably a separate cottage. It now belongs to the National Trust.
Lake recently formed from gravel workings
DVLA vehicle pound.
Land for a council estate was acquired in 1937, but building did not begin until 1953
Townmead Secondary School. Closed 1993
90 Meadows Community Centre
This is the western branch at Drayton Point also known, variously, as the Heatham Stream, the Hooke, and the Poyle Mill Stream
British History on Line. West Drayton.
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
Uxbridge Gazette. Web site