The Brook flows south westward
Post to the west Ruislip Manor
The housing around the large amenity open space and green is council housing built in 1948.
Field End Lane
This was previously called Northolt Road
Pavilion Private Excursion Grounds. The land had been part of the Haydon Hall Estate but became 16 acres of pleasure grounds with swings and roundabouts, and donkey rides. This was set up by the Salvationist ex-manager of the Regent Street Polytechnic in the grounds of his house. Special outings were organised with excursion railway tickets for inner city children. In the autumn there were pigeon shoots. The site was sold for housing in 1935 to Davis Estates
464 Venue 5. Opened in 2003 as a restaurant. This ‘Tudor’ style pub was previously The Clay Pigeon on the site of the Pavilion
Recreation Ground. The north part of Roxbourne Park is in the London Borough of Harrow who is responsible for maintenance of the whole park – the southern part is in the London Borough of Hillingdon. This southern section was built on the site of a rubbish dump and Prisoner of War Camp.
Miniature railway run by the Harrow and Wembley Society of Model Engineers. The Club had existed from the mid -1930s and had had miniature layouts on a number of west London sites and were seeking a new one in the early 1907s. Harrow Council had decided to develop an old rubbish tip as a park. In September 1975 the club came to an agreement to use the site and the track was laid plus some facilities. A station was built and eventually the site was opened by the Mayor. The site has been expanded since and passengers are taken round the track every Sunday.
Tudor Club – lunch club for the elderly
Field End Road Junior and Infant School. The school was opened in 1947/8 by the North West Middlesex Education Common and the design features a clock tower. When built it was a show place and hosted visits from abroad
St. Swithun Wells Roman Catholic Primary School. Built around 1960
Ruislip Scout Hut. Built 2001.
Named for the Pavilion Private Excursion Grounds which were nearby and it is built on part of the land of the Grounds. Built in 1939 and an early bungalow development by Davis Estates
Pine Gardens Open Space
A small area of park land linking two larger parks.
Unfinished roadway. In the 1950s this was used for training school children in cycling and road safety.
Willow barrier planted in 1938
South Ruislip Methodist Church. The current church is a wooden Frame structure brick clad built 1997. The Methodist Society has been set up in the 1940s and a church
Built in 1945 on what had been Sterne Field
St. Andrew's Lutheran Church. Built in 1960 and designed by Bader and Muller. Mural by Norman Blaney of the loaves and fishes - hence the dedication to St. Andrew - from 1964.
Field End Recreation Ground. On a path off at the end the Venturers Boy’s Club included a war time air raid shelter part of which was underground
Bowlt. Ruislip Past
HWSME Web site.
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Ruislip, Eastcote and Northwood LHS, Highways and Byways