Friday, 30 November 2018
Post to the south Eastcote
Post to the east Rayners Lane
Post to thee north South Ruislip
Entrance road to an estate where the road names are all ‘Tudor”.
Avanti House. Avanti Schools Trust owns a series of Hindu schools. This is one of their Secondary schools, with an address in Stanmore.
Pinner High School. This was originally Pinner County School. Thus was built in 1937 on the site of Downs Farm, The building was typical of the reduced art deco style of the time. A new gym block was built in 1968. Until 1982 the school was successively Pinner County School, Pinner County Grammar School and Pinner Sixth Form College. Many ex pupils have become famous in the world of music, theatre and sport. In 1982 it was sold to Heathfield School. This was a Girls' Day School Trust private school; they too undertook major building works. Heathfield closed in 2014 and merged with Northwood College. The site is now Pinner High School, sponsored by high schools in Harrow in response to the need for more high school places. This restores state funded education to the site
The boundary after which this is named is either that of Ruislip-Northwood Urban District Council or the boundary of the Rotherham Estates development.
This is possibly named after the Chandos family who lived locally at Haydon Hall.
Field End Road
This is described in the 1804 Enclosure Act as a public carriage way. It is named after an arable field.
184 Champers. Established 1979.
218 Ruislip Windows and Doors. This is in a little hut perched on the railway bridge. Such huts were often used by estate agents, as coal offices or taxi firms.
Eastcote Station. This was opened in 1906 as ‘Eastcote Halte’ and lies between Rayners Lane and Ruislip Manor Stations, now on both the Metropolitan and Piccadilly Lines. It lies between Harrow on the Hill and Uxbridge was built by The Metropolitan Railway in the guise of the Harrow and Uxbridge Railway in 1904. The line was electrified in 1905. Eastcote opened in 1906 as a halt and initially intended for use by children’s treats and summer excursions, it was very popular for walkers and picnic groups. When it was first built, it had two simple wooden platforms with shelters, and cost £325. New waiting facilities were provided some years later. By 1939 the area had developed enough for a Holden style rebuilding. This rebuilding was an evolution of the stations at Sudbury Town and Sudbury Hill. Essentially a red-brick box with a concrete lid for a roof, the main entrance is at street level with single-storey shops with large, curved glass windows. Above each shop is a large, pole-mounted 'Underground' roundel. The ticket hall is a double height box, above the entrance, with a large window with alternating vertical bands of wide and narrow glass panes. There is a flat, concrete roof above the ticket hall, forming a lip. The ticket hall is above the tracks with the platforms below both accessed by stepped stairwells,
Land was bought by the Metropolitan Railway next to the station and developed in 1923 by Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd.
Coal yard to the east of the road and south of the station. Thus is now used as a car park,
Eastcote Industrial Area. This is built on the area of a sports ground there until the Second World War.
269-285 Television House. In the 1960s this was the head office of Ultra Television and Radio Co. Now a business centre.
Cavendish Recreation Ground. In 1914, the Cavendish Pavilion was built as a private sports ground in what was then open countryside. It is now Cavendish Recreation Ground with formal rose gardens to the south of the building.
The Pavilion. This was Cavendish Pavilion, for Debenham's staff provided as a recreation centre by the firm. It now appears to be a ‘Country House venue’ and to be used by a number of clubs and commercial organisations.
Short cul de sac road consisting of small workshop and other units. These include Basepoint Business Centre.
Newnham Junior School
This was built originally by the Metropolitan Railway Estates in the 1920s who built the first houses on the south side from Field End Road. These are angled and look directly to the north.
This road was developed by Davis Estates Ltd on the site of 'The Pavilion'. This had been built by Albert Baily, catering manager at the Regent Street Polytechnic. It was an amusement centre in the 1920s and early 1930s for children who came in organised parties from the inner city. As a Salvationist he encouraged church groups and charities. There were helter-skelters, donkey rides, races, etc. and no alcohol. In the winter there was clay pigeon shooting. Baily died in 1930 and in 1935 the land was sold to Davis Estates
This is a small local park. It was purchased by Ruislip Urban District Council in 1950 after a proposal to build more houses failed and a wide concrete roadway which runs west of the stream was built in the expectation of housing. It is one of the very few survivors of an original early suburban road surface. The bridge over the stream that divides it with Cavendish Park was part of a scheme designed to link Bayley’s Pavilion to a now vanished sports ground long-vanished football ground.
Large park, part of which is covered by this square.
Roxbourne Rough. This is a large grassy meadow. Immediately south of the Uxbridge branch of the Metropolitan Line and is part of Roxbourne Park. Early in the 20th it was in agricultural use but was later owned by British Gas, who used it to store gas mains on railway sleepers. In 1992, agreement was reached between British Gas and Harrow Borough Council to a land swap which transferred ownership of to the council. It is now managed as a nature reserve
Site of Devonshire Lodge nurseries
Avanti Trust Web site
Edwards. Eastcote from Village to Suburb
Field. London Place Names
History of Middlesex
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
London Borough of Hillingdon, Web site
London Railway Record
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pinner High School. Web site
Walford. Village London
Posted by M at 09:11