Showing posts from January, 2017

M25 Barrow Green

Post to the north Oxted Downs Post to the west Godstone Rooks Nest Barrow Green Road Barrow Green Farm. The farmhouse is a mid 16th Wealden farmhouse. It is timber framed with  rendered cladding below, and tile. There is known to have been a lime kiln here. Oasthouse. This is a late 18th rubblestone and clunch bulding. It has a pyramidal roof over a square pavilion at the south end. There are also some associated buildings. Mount. This is a large bowl-shaped mound perhaps 30 ft high. The top has a flat area about 20 ft. in diameter. It may be natural or a natural feature converted to a barrow – which has been the view in the past. It was excavated in 1869 and was then thought to be natural. Later observers thought it had a ditch round it and found flint flakes. They said loose sand was piled up in a circular heap on sand-stone. It is thought that it could possibly have been a motte to hold some sort of fortification and is shown in 1408 as a castle mound. It is also thought

M25 Oxted Downs

Post to the east Oxted Chalkpit Wood Post to the south Barrow Green Barrow Green Road Barrow Green Court. Red brick house originating in the 17th. It has had many alterations and extensions. In the mid 19th it was the  home of George Grote the historian of Greece, before him it was Jeremy Bentham.. It is now the home of Mohamed al Fayed. There is apparently oil being pumped from below it.. St Thomas Well. This lay close to the Pilgrim's Way. It now flows out of a pipe in the bank and fills agricultural troughs. It is on the bridleway north from Barrow Green Lane crosses the M25, then a stile and its right at the top of the field in the far corner. Gangers Hill South Hawke. Beech wood Hogtrough Lane Steep bridle way on the hillside Lodge Wood M25 Railway Oxted Tunnel The Oxted line, from Croydon to Oxted, was built in two phases. the first company, the Surrey and Sussex Junction Railway abandoned the line following a financial crisis and the two tunnels were le

M25 Oxted Chalkpit Wood

Post to the north Chalkpit Lane Post to the east Oxted Post to the west Oxted Downs Armitage Wood Mixed ancient woodland with oak, ash and hazel understorey Barnetts Way Oxted Therapies Unit. This is part of the replacement for the closed Oxted Hospital Barrow Green Road Ridgeway Manor. This is now a residential care home. This was built as Blunt House around 1886 by J.M. Oldrid Scott for himself in red brick. Inside were features brought from Blunt House in Croydon which had been built around 1760 by Abraham Swan and Richard Peers. This original house was the model for Scott’s design here. Railway Bridge. Built in 1883 for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway/South Eastern Railway Chalkpit Lane Railway Bridge – this bridge must date from the 1880s when the line was built. It is a ‘dogleg’ tunnel with a mound on the west adjacent to it. Not clear why and what this is. The site of the limeworks siding was to the west of this. Stafford Scout Hut. This is for

M25 Chalkpit Lane

Post to the east Titsey Plantation Post to the south Chalkpit Wood Chalkpit Lane This was once the main road north from Oxted. Southern Gravel Ltd on the site which was Oxted Greystone Lime Co.  Opened in the 19th century the chalk pit at Oxted is extensive. The original company dated from 1885 but by 1932 it was being run by the Oxted Greystone Lime Co. Ltd who was associated with the Dorking Greystone Lime Co. Ltd. In 1993 it was owned by Tilcon working on the west side of Chalk Pit Lane digging on a daily basis. Previously hydrated burnt lime was brought here from Skipton.  This was used by the building industry. In 1993 chalk dug here was used for agricultural purposes. Nine lime kilns remain from work in the 1970s and there were the remains of six 'Oxted Kilns' some of which can be seen n the skyline. Originally chalk was moved on site by skips on rails later replaced by lorries and a chalk crushing plant was installed. Traces of the rails remained in the 1990s.

M25 Titsey Plantation

Post to the south Oxted Post to the east Titsey Park Post to the west Chalk Pit Lane M25 Pitchfont Lane Unmade road running steeply downhill through woodland The Ridge Bronze Age enclosure north of the road Hell Shaw. Woodland to the north of the road and of Nature Conservation Importance Titsey Plantation This a large swathe of woodland ranged on the hillside slopes. As a “plantation” 500,000  trees were planted in the early 19th by William Granville  and before that was open downland. It is a predominately beech wood. In the Second World War trees were removed for aircraft manufacture, but these have since been replaced. Greenwich Meridian runs through the woodland Sources Historic England. Titsey Place. Web site Surrey Nature Partnership. Web site Sutton and East Surrey Water. Web site Titsey Place. Web site

M25 Oxted

Post to the east Limpsfield Post to the north Titsey Plantation Post to the west Chalkpit Wood Barrrow Green Road 15 The Forge .  Coach depot for Skinners travel company in operation since 1967. The site previously was a smithy and forge Telephone Exchange Bluehouse Lane, Barn Theatre , In 1923 group was formed to try and raise money for a local theatre. The site in Blue House Lane was purchased and then the old Limpsfield saw mill - these structural timbers date from 1362 -1433.  The theatre was designed by Matthews Ridley and was opened by Harley Granville Barker of the British Drama League. All sorts of events were held in the building. In the Second World War it was used as an evacuee dispersal station and then a billet for a Canadian regiment, the Seaforth Highlanders and later Habadasher Aske School. There was a very difficult post-war period but gradually improvements were made and by the 1990s was very popular. The theatre has now been extended with Barn 2000 provid

M25 Limpsfield

Post to the north Titsey Park Post to the west Oxted Bluehouse Lane Limpsfield Grange School. This is a state boarding school for girls with autism opened in the early 1950s.  It is in the buildings of what is said to be a 19th manor house. The school has a swimming pool adjacent. Bridge over the River Eden Skinners Farm  This is said to have stood at the corner with Water Lane. It is said to be where George Eliot stayed when she wrote Mill on the Floss’ and Adam Bede. The farm was unoccupied, the building was unsafe and the site developed. The low brick wall in front of the current houses on the site are the remains of the farm walls left as a planning condition but reduced to the height of one foot.  There was also a barn on steddle stones, Detellens Lane 48-50 this was once two cottages, now  one. The building is 18th to early 19th with a ground floor of sandstone and ironstone rubble and the fiurst floor tile-hung. These houses would originally have had gardens which

M25 Titsey Park

Post to the east Titsey Eden Source Post to the south Limpsfield Post to the west Titsey Plantation M25 Pilgrims Lane St James Church. The original church here was in the grounds of Titsey House. It was replaced by a new church here in 1776.   The present church is a rebuild of 1860-61 for Granville Leveson Gower to the design of J.L. Pearson. This was the parish church, but in 1956 it was united with Limpsfield and declared redundant in 1973. It is now part of the Titsey Trust as a private chapel and contains some items from the previous churches. It is in dressed stone with a traditional shingled spire with a clock face. Lych gate, and churchyard . Titsey Court. 17th house with 18th front.  It is timber framed clad in red and blue brick with flint brick and rubblestone wings at the back. This was a farmhouse and said to be the home for the bailiff of the Titsey Estate. Church Cottage . 16th cottage with 17th and 19th extensions. Timber framed with brick infill and knapp

M25 Titsey Eden source

Post to the east Clacket Lane Post to the west Titsey Park Broomlands Lane This is a footpath and bridle way running from the Westerham Road to Titsey Village.  In this stretch it runs through woods and fields, crossing the motorway on a footbridge. M25 River Eden The River Eden  is a tributary of the  Medway, It rises from a source in Titsey north of Clacket Lane motorway services Roughfield Shaw Woodland Sources Wikipedia. River Eden. Web site

M25 Clacket Lane

Post to the east Westerham Croydon Road Post to the west Titsey Eden Source Clacket Lane Westwood Pumping Station . This was built by the Limpsfield and Oxted Water Co. and is now run by the Sutton and East Surrey Water Co. It was taken over by the Chelsam and Waldingham Waterworks Company Ltd, becoming the East Surrey, in 1930. It has a greensand water source and on site is treatment works. There were three bore holes here. Waterworks Cottages. Housing originally associated with the waterworks Playing field. This was immediately south of the waterworks Westerham Road Industrial Estate. Industrial and trading area. This may be on the site of the playing fields. Moorhouse Tile Works.   Originally the Moorhouse Brick, Tile and Concrete Products Company Ltd with a concrete roofing tile work, it was taken over by Redland in 1948. The company later became Lafarge and then Braas Monier Building Group. This was a large works which included internal tram systems, settling ponds an

M25 Westerham Croydon Road

Post to the south Moorhouse Bank Post to the east Westerham Post to the west Clackets Lane Croydon Road Southern Gas Networks . Pressure reducing site.  Old gas works site. The   Westerham Gas and Coke Co., Ltd. Dated from 1857 and supplied gas to the town until nationalisation in 1949. There were two holders.  The site is surrounded by a wall which may be built of gasworks or other rubble and waste Devil of Kent This wood is on the Kent side of the border which runs down the west side of it. Farley Common Partly wooded stretch of common land, Kent/ Surrey Border M25 Squerries Sand Pit Squerries Sand Pit. This is a soft sand extraction site consisting of a large deep pit and a number of small pits and some ponds.  More excavation is planned between the present workings and the motorway; the pit, while large and very deep, is not easily seen. There are some paint ball and similar activities on part of the site Westerham Wood Woodland designated as a Site of Special

M25 Westerham London Road

Post to the east Beggars Lane Post to the north Westerham Hill Post to the south Westerham Beggars Lane Farm road now blocked. This was a road which went to Brasted before the railway and the later motorway were built. Force Green Lane Wall mounted post box in the hedge Force Green Waste. This is common land Force Green Farm. Dairy farm Force Green Farmhouse . This has an 18th front on an earlier timber framed house, which was probably late 16th.  Inside are heavy, close-set beams plank floors and inglenook fireplaces Force Green Farm Cottage . This is late 18th Hartley Wood Ancient mixed broadleaf woodland formally managed as coppice .It is to the east of and joined to Westerham Wood. London Road London Road Brickworks . This stood slightly south of the motorway, probably on the site of the current garage. It was active in the late 19th into the early 20th. M25 Pilgrims Way Pilgrims’ Way may/may not be a route for Pilgrims to go to Canterbury (from where exact

M25 Beggars Lane

Post to the north Brasted Post to the south Valence House Post to the east Brasted Post to the west Westerham London Road Beggars Lane There appear to be two Beggar’s Lanes, one either side of the M25. The northern one is a farm track which runs the London Road at Force Green eastwards, turns south and runs under the motorway to end at Charman’s Farm and a junction with its namesake. Beggars Lane This is an A road which runs south of the motorway from London Road, running eastwards, turning at Charman’s Farm, to the south and the Brasted Road. It acts as a bypass to eastern Westerham an alternative route to the difficult entrance in the town to London Road. It appears to date from the same time as the motorway was built. Charmans Farm. The farm is noted in 1540 as having been in the possession of Sir John Gresham. The Farmhouse appears as an 18th building which masks a 16th or earlier timber framed structure. There are two round kiln oast house. One brick built and one ragsto

M25 Combe Bank Wood

Post to the west Chevening Ovenden Post to the south Brasted Combe Bank Wood Large area of woodland Combe Wood Semi-natural ancient woodland bisected by the M25.  It is an area of nature conservation. M25 This runs on the line of the previous railway to Westerham Ovendon Road Combe Bank Farm. The farm site includes several buildings now converted to housing. It includes a twin oast house claimed to date from the late 18th and turned into a house. The farm was at one time owned by The Infants Hospital in Westminster and used by them to supply milk. It should be noted that a major funder of Westminster Children’s Hospital was Robert Mond, who lived at Coombe Bank itself (to the south) Oveny Green Farm. Buildings here have been converted to housing. There are records of the farm from the late 16th. Oveny Green Farmhouse.   There is a plaque on the building saying: "This farmhouse was built by Thomas Lord Dacre, Earl of Sussex, in the year 1701."  It is in red br

M25 Chevening Ovenden

Post to the east Chipstead Post to the south Sundridge Post to the west Combe Bank Wood Chevening Park. This square covers only the southernmost third of Chevening Park. This is part of a wooded park where features of an earlier design combine with those of this century. The landscape is of high quality and an ambitious restoration programme is now underway. Chevening Road The road crossed the South Eastern Railway line on a bridge, as it now also crosses the motorway Combe Bank Drive This path runs south from North Lodge.  It crosses the motorway by a bridge, as it did the railway. M25 The motorway was built on the line of the South Eastern Railway line to Westerham. Ovenden Road Lodges at entrances to the Chevening Estate Ovenden Lodge . The drive from the lodge accessed Ovenden House.  This was built by Robert Tothill in the 18th and bought by the Second Earl Stanhope in 1780 and added to the estate as the Dower House.  It was bombed in the Second World War and la

M25 Sundridge Road Chevening

Post to the north Star Hill Post to the south Chipstead Chevening Road This runs alongside the wall of Chevening House on its west side M25 Chevening Interchange. The majority of Junction 5 is in the square to the south. In this square the M25 runs south with the A21 alongside it.  One slip leaves in a loop and takes traffic onto the, finally westbound, M25. Meanwhile other slips come into the system from the westbound M26.  This complex junction is apparently the result of half built ringway plans which were then abandoned and the resulting road abandoned. Edward Shaw – small wood alongside the motorway Bridge. A bridge over the M25/A21 takes a farm road from Morants Court to Morants Court Farm. M26 This road, which gets to the interchange from the east, is a link between M25 and the M20. It was originally supposed to be part of M25 Ringway 4. However it goes forward with various slips coming and going off it and then becomes the M25 going westward (in the square to the

M25 Star Hill

Post to the east Dunton Green Post to the south Chevening Sundridge Road M25 Pilgrims Way Trackway across the area, maybe used by pilgrims or maybe just another tracl. The Spinney. Woodland alongside Star Hill Previously called Morants Court Hill, and before that Madame Scott Hill. This was a turnpike road set up with a trust in 1749.  The houses around Star Hill House are marked on maps up to the early 20th as 'The Beacon' and an old quarry shown behind them. Keeper’s Cottage. In the 19th occupied by a gamekeeper. Star Hill House. Once a pub on what was the main road. It opened before 1792 but had close before 1851. Star Hill Wood Entrance to Fort Halstead Sundridge Road Road built by the Earl of Stanhope who lived in Chevening House Morants Court ( in the square to the south). Originally  the main approach ran south from Sundridge Road. Morants Court Farm. The Farm was attached to Morants Court (in the square to the south) and laid out in the mid-1860s

M25 Dunton Green

Post to the north Polhill Post to the west Star Hill Anisbirches Wood Ivy House Lane Little Dunton. This was a farm with an important well.  It appears to be gone. Lime Pit Lane This short road seems to have once been called the Pilgrims Way and led to Polhill Road and then carried onto the Pilgrims Way now west of the M25. North Downs Business Park. Trading estate built up during the site includes building supplies, cement, exhibition fitters and very posh car servicing. Dunton Green Lime Works. The works dated from at least the 18th the site is on the crest of the North Downs scarp face working the Middle Chalk. Lime kilns were of the 'shaft' or 'bottle' type producing quicklime. There was an associated quarry London Road Rose and Crown.   The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster. This was a coaching stop on what was then the main London to Hastings Road. It dates from at least the 1830s in this form but was the Chequers in the

M25 Polhill

Post to the north Polhill Post to the west Otford Post to the south Dunton Green Crow Drive Great Stockholme Wood Filston Lane Covered reservoir M25 Old Polhill This is an abandoned road and not available for traffic. It is however partly still laid out with white lines, etc. On older maps it is marked as Halstead Lane and is on this route at least by the 1860s.  It appears to have been a tributary road from Otford to the pre-turnpike Bromley-Sevenoaks Road and meeting it at Pratt’s Bottom. Mast. T mobile site by the railway Tunnel under the motorway which the path goes through – wide enough for a roadway Dane Trench. This is an earthwork running east west at the foot of Polhill. Nearby is Dane Bottom The area along the eastern flank of the hill is historically known as No Mans Lane Polhill This was the turnpike road built in 1834 which replaced the older route from Bromley to Sevenoaks which ran to the west via Knockholt. Hangman Down Shaw. Roadside woodands.

M25 Polhill

Post to the north Andrews Wood Badgers Mount Post to the east Filston Post to the south :Polhill Crow Drive Knockavilla . Rooney’s Gym. Boxing training Highfield Farm Filston Lane Sepham Farm or Sepham Court . This is a late mediaeval hall house. It has a tile hung first floor with brick below. There is a large offset chimney with tumbled brickwork. And a jettied first floor with visible beam ends, to left  part. Inside is a lot of exposed large timbers. The site is thought to be named for John de Cepham who owned the manor under Edward III. The farm was painted by Samuel Palmer in 1828. In the grounds is a crinkle crankle wall and 18th stables. The site was used for cider production until recently. Sepham Farm Oast . There are two oast houses associated with the farm, now converted to housing. Sepham Farm Cottages Polhill Bank Nature Reserve . This is chalk grassland with views of the Darenth Valley. Many common chalk grassland flowers grow here and there is a good plac

M25 Andrew's Wood Badgers Mount

Post to the north Badgers Mount Post to the east Shoreham Post to the south Polhill A21 Polhill Nurseries. The entrance to this site is in te square to the west. The garden cenrre was opened in a rundown nursery by father and son Jim and David Novell, when David was still at school. At first the grew on cut flowers for Covent Garden Flower Market and then expanded into tomatoes, bedding plants, shrubs and conifers. In 1968 the old wooden greenhouses were replaced to grove chrysanthemums and bedding plants but oil shortages led them to develop the site as a garden centre. In 1975 some of their land was uses a construction access road and this remains as their entrance. After the 1987 storm a third of the centre had to be rebuilt with parts shipped from Holland Air shaft to the railway which runs below in the Polhill Tunnel. This is a small round  brick structure standing alone in a field. M25 Robsack Wood Shacklands Road Shacklands Cottages Andrews Wood. Picnic area and

M25 Badgers Mount

Post to the north Shoreham Great Cockerhurst Post to the south Badger's Mount, Andrews Wood Badgers Road This stretch of Badgers Road is an unmade byway Barnetts Wood, deer, footpaths, dumped tyres Longspring Wood. Illicit paint ball activities.  The wood name may refer to coppicing rather than to a water source M25 Shacklands Road Timberden Farm Whitegate Farm , sells produce and makes sausages Sources Badgers Mount Residents Association. Web site Sevenoaks Council. Web site

M25 Shoreham Great Cockerhurst

Post to the north Lullingstone Parkgate Post to the west Well Hill and Maypole Post to the south Badger's Mount Cockerhurst Road Brent Farm Firmingers Road Fountain Farm. This was a nursery, which is now closed. M25 Junction 4. This junction only connects to a motorway spur which connects to Hewitts Roundabout on the A21 to the west. Redmans Lane The area around Great Cockerhurst has been of great interest to geologists, and Palaeolithic remains have been found in the area Great Cockerhurst, House and Farm Flint Barn – this is alongside the road and is now used as a residence Cockerhurst Oasts. Twin round oasts and some of the stowage remains  dating from the 1850s now used as housing. A Georgian barn was demolished. These have been on TV, Rock Hill Woodyholme Nursery Sources Archaeologia Cantiana Sabre. Web site Sevenoaks Council. Web site Well Hill Residents Association Newsletter. Web site

M25 Lullingstone Parkgate

Post to the north Daltons Road Post to the west Well Hill Post to the south Shoreham Great Cockerhurst M25 Park Gate Road Park Gate was outside Lullingstone Park, providing access to it and to a drive running directly to Lullingtone House Old Park Gate Farm, Oasthouse s in 2 parallel ranges. They are early 19th with weatherboarded gables and two square oasts with tiled roofs retaining cowls and fantails. Now converted to housing. These are now separate from the house. Park Gate House. This was the farm house at Old Park Gate Farm. It is an 18th house in red brick. It  was the home of Constance Spry, educationalist and flower arranger, from 1934 to 1947 and during the Second World War the gardens were a resource as providers of flowers and vegetables for use in collaborative London floristry and culinary enterprises. Students at Swanley Horticultural College were taught by her and came to help with the landscaping and nursery work. The gardens were then a showplace but there

M25 Eynsford and Crockenhill

Post to the north Wested Crockenhill Post to the west Daltons Road M25 Woodland and footpaths follow old parish and estate boundaries running east/west in this square.   Many large trees – oak, ash and field maple – can be found on these lines. There are also hedges which can be shown to date from the middle ages. Sources Bygone Kent

M25 Wested Crockenhill

Post to the east Crockenhill Lane Post to the west Crockenhill Post to the south Eynsford and Crockenhill Cackethills Wood. The wood is mentioned in a document of 1503. Today it has 19 species of tree, including beech and hornbeam. There is said to be a chalk pit in the wood –possibly on the southern boundary -  with white chalk and flints found at a depth of fifteen feet. Eynsford Road Football Ground. Crockenhill Football Club.In the 1920s there were two football clubs in Crockenhill and Crockenhill United played here, at Wested Meadows.   The present club followed a Boxing Day 1946 match between Mudhole Dynamo and Crockenhill Youth. Wested Meadows had no facilities but in the Second World War was used for barrage balloons and there was a Nissen Hut which became a clubhouse to which was added a loudspeaker and a grandstand. They also acquired an antique 19th turnstile from Thameside Amateurs.. In the 1987 storm the roof blew off the grandstand but it has been replaced in

M25 Crockenhill Lane

Post to the north Swanley Interchange Post to the west Wested Crockenhill Crockenhill Lane Mast. mobile phone cellular transmitter station. It enables drivers on the M25 to make calls. Capricorn Farm. Wholesale nurseries and dressage training and sales. There is a telecommununications mast at the farm M25 Wested Lane Little Wested House Wested Leather Co.   This was opened by Peter Botwright in the early 1980s originally calling it  “Leather Concessionaires” , In addition to this shop and works they have a London factory. They specialise in costumes for film companies and subsequent copies. Sources Capricorn Farm. Web site Mast data. Web site Wested Leather Co. Web site

M25 Swanley Interchange

Post to the north Swanley Post to the south Crockenhill Lane This square is dominated by the notorious Swanley interchange. A series of roads running from London to the coast pass through it – these are 1. London Road. This is now the B2173 coming from Swanley centre but had originated as an old main road from London (diverging from the A2 at New Cross)  to the coast passing through towns as it went – Lewisham, Eltham, Sidcup, Foots Cray and so on. 2. London Road continues beyond the interchange to Wrotham and Maidstone, but west of the junction it is numbered as the A20. 3. The Sidcup bypass. This road is numbered as the A20 east of the junction and it has originated at a junction with the older London Road in Kidbrook. It is a motorway standard road which runs forward to meet the junction where it becomes the M20 4. M20. This originates at the junction and runs eastwards to the coast. 5. M25 – the M25 London orbital motorway passes through the junction running north/s

M25 Swanley

Post to the east Button Street Post to the south Swanley Interchange Beech Avenue Downsview Community Primary School. The school was built in the mid-1960s. Beechenlea Lane Olympic Driving Range. The Olympic has facilities for golf, snooker and bowls as well as a bar and related facilities. It is owned by the local Council. Parkwood Convalescent Home. This was the second convalescent home to be built in Swanley. Following a large donation a trust was set ip and the trustees bought the Parkwood Estate.. The Convalescent Home opened in 1893 and used for patients from the London Hospital, St Thomas' Hospital, Guy's Hospital and the Middlesex Hospital, and the Westminster Hospital and St Mary's Hospital. The head gardener had his own cottage to look after the vegetable and flower beds.  There was a The Gothic chapel behind the main building. Patients were met at the station and not allowed to leave the grounds. during the summer, there were sports like cricket, qu

M25 Button Street

Post to the north Swanley Village Post to the west Swanley Button Street Canada Heights. Motorcycle Trials Circuit. This is owned by Sidcup Motor Cycle Club. It got the name of Canada Heights, during the Great War when Canadian troops were camped here. It has  been in regular use for off-road motorcycle sports for many years, and by the Sidcup Club since 1938. It has hosted many events, from Club level to International status. Including national TV coverage with the BBC "Grandstand Trophy" events during the 1960s. In 1985 the Club bought the site with the help of a Sports Council grant and sponsorship. After that access roads were laid, undergrowth was cleared a and a new track was created. The Hop Pole.   This appears to have been a pub with a landlord said to have had a a tenure from 1816 to 1842. The Hop Pole.  In the mid 19th there was horse racing here. It was still open in 1900. Broomhill. This is a business, probably used cars. Farningham Woods Ancient woodl

M25 Swanley Village

Post to the east Farningham Road. Homefield Post to the south Button Street Button Street Button Street Business Centre . This is in what was Sevenoaks District Council Yard Railway bridge over Button Street, which stands very slightly skew. It is assumed that it dates from 1860 Gildenhill Road Gildenhill Farm M25 Rams Wood This was also known as Hop Kiln Wood and Hop Kiln Cottages were in Button Street roughly under the site of the M25 Bridge. Dene Hole Ship Lane A terrace of houses remains in a duplicate stretch of Ship Lane – the original line of the road before the M25 was built and Ship Lane had to lowered to run under it. Swanley Village Road Swanley Village Nursery. Wholesale nursery Denehole. A circular shaft is said to have appeared on the  edge of a field here. It was thought to be a denehole. Old College. This is 18th or earlier. It is thought that the building once belonged to Cobham College, near Gravesend, Wesleyan Cottage. This was a Methodi

M25 Farningham Road Homefield

Post to the north Clement Street Post to the east Farningham Road Post to the west Swanley Village Homefield Road Homefield House. This was originally a two storey timber framed house probably dating from the late 15th. In thr 16th there were additions using second-hand Tudor bricks and beams from a grander building.  There were more later additions with a brick ground floor, six more upstrairs rooms , a first floor loading bay and a brick oven Homefield Cottages Homefield Farm The OId Bungalow The New Bungalow Railway Ship Lane Sources Rediscovering Dartford. Web site

M25 Clement Street

Post to the north Burnthouse Post to the east Sutton at Hone Post to the south Farningham Road Homefield Church Road The Big Shoot. Pigeon Shooting facility. Clement Street Country lane with scattered nurseries and cottages M25 Sources The Big Shoot;. website

M25 Burnthouse

Post to the north Hawley Post to the east Hawley Post to the south Clement Street Roads on this square consist entirely of a network of roads between Burnthouse and Shirehall Roads. This presents an unresolved (by Edith at least) problem. On the 1868 OS map (the oldest we have) the western end of the area is laid out with what appears to be a building plan.  This is for something extremely large to be built here with a frontage on Burnthouse Lane. There seems to be a very very large rectangular building together with a parallel range of smaller, but still very large blocks.  Was some sort of institution planned? After that the area seems to be let or sold in small plots, initially mainly as nurseries but latterly housing.  Today the area is almost entirely housing with every sign of a plotland development – random housing design, no facilities and unmade roads. Burnthouse Lane This lane once continued down to Hawley Road but is now cut off by the motorway and has become a fo