Riverside east of the Tower, south bank. Crossness Engines,.
Riverside. East of the Tower the south bank. Crossness Engines This posting covers sites on the south bank only Preserved 19th sewage pumphouse complex with amazing beam engines, plus a derelict golf cours e. Post to the northern section of this square. Dagenham Dock Post to the north Dagenham Riverside Post to the east Dagenham Marshes Post to the south Crossness Sewage Works Post to the west Crossness and North Thamesmead Belvedere Road Crossness Works . This covers the area of the original works. The modern works is to the east and south. The works was originally built 1856 having been commissioned by the Metropolitan Board of Works and finished in 1865. It was designed by Joseph Bazalgette, William Webster was the contractor for much of the work and it was opened by the Prince of Wales. The original facilities of 1862-5 comprised 6 acres of brick- roofed storage tanks and an engine house for pumping out the sewage on the falling tide. These are now disused. There we