Posts

Showing posts from September, 2009

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Stanwell

TQ 75 04 The London, Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary continues on Southern Perimeter Road to the junction with A313, Airport Way, and continues on that road The Duke of Northumberland's River flows south and east following the Perimenter Road The Longford River flows south and east following the Perimenter Road Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary Post to the north Stanwellmoor Post to the east Stanwell Post to the west Stanwellmoor Haws Lane Mission Pumping Station Hithermoor Lane Calcutts Farm The Croft . 17th front and unadorned Georgian front. Inside a queen post roof with refused timbers. Old Oak Cottage . 17th with 20th pastiche. Timber-framed and rendered with Close studding on the front. Horton Road Southern Farm , once known as Merrick’s Farm and one of the manorial holdings. South of the road in the farm area are Crop marks and a large ring ditch. Nurseries Stanwell Place . This was a Georgian House which replaced an earlie

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Stanwell

TQ 054 750 The London, Hillingdon / Spelthorne boundary carries on Westwards along Bedfont Road and then continues on Southern Perimeter Road. The Duke of Northumberland's River flows east following the Perimeter Road The Longford River flows east following the Perimeter Road Post to the west Stanwellmoor Post to the east Cargo Terminal Sites on the Buckinghamshire , Spelthorne side of the boundary Duke of Northumberland's River This section was built during the reign of Henry VIII by John Gates after the dissolution of the Monastery at Syon . It was to augment the water supply to mills and allow new ones to be built, thus providing a source of revenue for the Duke of Northumberland . It takes water fro m the Colne and flows through this stretch alongside the Longford River. Both have been diverted in association with the construction of Terminal Five but skirts the western and southern perimeter of the airport. High Street St. Mary’s church . Dates from

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Heathrow Cargo Terminal

TQ 75 06 The London, Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary continues westwards along Bedfont Road The Duke of Northumberland's River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road The Longford River River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road Post to the west Stanwell Post to the east Terminal Four Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary Bedfont Road 48 Beresford House. Mid 18th of painted brick and sash windows with 19th glass .Listed Stanwell Farmhouse. Late 18th and early 19th two storey house, roughcast. Listed. Duke of Northumberland's River This section was built during the reign of Henry VIII by John Gates after the dissolution of the Monastery at Syon. It was to augment the water supply to mills and allow new ones to be built, thus providing a source of revenue for the Duke of Northumberland. It takes water from the Colne and flows through this stretch alongside the Longford River. Both have been diverted in associati

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Heathrow Terminal 4

TQ 07 75 The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs north to the Bedfont Road where it meets the boundary with Hillingdon. The Spelthorne/Hillingdon boundary turns west along Bedfont Road. The Duke of Northumberland's River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road The Longford River River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road Post to the west Cargo Terminal Post to the south West Bedfont Post to the east East Bedfont Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the border Beacon Road. Heathrow Animal Reception Centre . This is part of the Veterinary Sector of the City of London’s Environmental Services Directorate and has is a world leader in the care of animals during transport. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year receiving and caring for literally millions of animals of all types – including everything from tarantulas, cobras, race horses, tigers, cattle, cats and dogs and even baby elephants – the HARC has the facilities to cope with alm

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - West Bedfont

TQ 07 74 The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs across Staines Road, east of Homer’s Farm, and continues north, west of the Esso Depot. Turning, east and then north again towards Bedfont Road Post to the north Terminal Four Post to the south Bedfont Lakes Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary Bedfont Road Esso West London Terminal West Bedfont Held in the Domesday Book by Walter Fitz Other Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the boundary Clockhouse Lane Oakdene Staines Road Bennett's Farm 1700. Harchett. . 776 Orchard CafĂ© popular with lorry drivers and locals for many years. old rotating ceiling fans and on the walls framed, signed photos of TV stars who have eaten there, certificates of excellence and photographs of the BBC film crew's visit of 1993 and old-style fruit and pinball machines Royal Oak - demolished Homers Farm

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Bedfont Lakes

The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs south west on the railway line, crossing Clockhouse Lane. And then turns north to thread between the lakes, and travel north up Harrow Road TQ 07538 72325 Worked out gravel pit now used as leisure areas - fishing and nature walks. The area is intersected by the main line railway to Staines.  This is in the hinterland of Heathrow Airport and although there appear to be leafy lanes there are huge depots here. Post to the north West Bedfont Post to the east Bedfont Lakes Sites on the London,Hounslow side of the border Ascot Road Business centre with Airfreight and AirCargo service centres. Bedfont Lakes Gravel pits and before that market gardens. Many locations to the east of this. Nature Reserve. In November 2000 Bedfont Lakes Country Park gained Local Nature Reserve status and was designated as a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (of Metropolitan Importance) . There are over 390 species of plants which those in inclu

The London/Buckinghamshire boundry. Bedfont Lakes

The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs due north to the railway line which it follows going south west TQ 08276 72553 Bedfont Lskes are  a seres of worked out gravel pits, here turned into leisure areas - sports, fishing snf nature walks with some attractions added.  This is in the hinterland of Heathrow Airport and there are a number of big shed depots, along with haulage and some landfill and extraction.  In the south east corner of the square is the old Borstal - now Feltham Young Offenders Institition. Post to the west Bedfont Lakes Post to the south Ashford Sites on the London,Hounslow side of the boundary Bedfont Lakes Gravel pits and before that market gardens. The land belonged to the Duke of St. Albans and was known as Fawn’s Manor Farm and in 1780 it was bought by William Sherborn. This was an area of arable farming and in 1897 the area, now the south side of the park, became Sherborn’s Orchard. As a result there are some apple and pear trees in the area. Gra

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Ashford

TQ 08 72 The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs due west to cut across the northern end of Newhaven Close. At Beaumont Drive it turns north until it reaches Feltham Road and on the corner of Challenge Road turns west to skirt the northern ends of Anderson, Dykes, Fernhurst and Chattern Roads. It then turns north again. Area of 19th and early 20th century housing with lots of open space and sports clubs.  This is a depressing area full of prisons Post to the north Bedfont Lakes Post to the east Felthamhill Sites on the London,Hounslow side of the boundary Ashford Road Name changes to Feltham Road at the border Recreation ground Challenge Road Industrial Estates Chattern Hill Piggeries. This is on the Ashford Smallholdings Estate Field View Feltham Prison Officers Social Club – burnt down and closed. Boot sale for the fittings. The Clumps Shield Road Ashford Business Centre. Sites on the Buckinghamshire,Spelthorne side of the boundary Chattern Road

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Feltham

TQ 09 72 The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs south west from Grovely Road to the northern edge of Meadhurst Sports Club Ground and then turns south down Chertsey Road. Before the junction, at the southern edge of the playing field it turns due west Post to the west Ashford Post to the east Felthamhill Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the boundary Chertsey Road Poplar Farm Laboratories – part of Sunbury Research Park Open space – The Greenhams. Lower Feltham Rough. landfill on green belt land. There has been gravel extraction here since the 1850s but much of it used for land fill since the 1950s. There is some grazing as well as fishing. Some parts of the site are used by the haulage industry, and others. Greenham’s Pit . Fishery Greenham Construction Materials Co . assortment of buildings including a headquarters building. Since become housing. The company dated from the 1940s and was part of Taylor Woodrow, who have since disposed of it. Meadhurst Sports C

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Feltham

TQ72 10 The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary continues along the Feltham Hill Brook and then goes due north, zig zagging to meet Grovely Road and turn west. Post to the west Felthamhill Post to the south Kempton Park The London, Hounslow side of the boundary Felthambrook Way Industrial Estates Moat – remains of the moat connected with the palace in Hanworth Park. The original moat was roughly square in shape and would have covered a much larger area. It is thought it could have been a connected to the Saxon village of Hanworth which stood within the moat for the defence of the community during the Danish occupation. It is also thought that it could have surrounded a Danish or Saxon Castle. Feltham Brook Snakey Lane Was previously Feltham Hill Road. Open Space . Feltham Hill Carr used for horse grazing. The field has hawthorn and blackthorn and some elderly willows. There are also many thistles. There is some willow woodland with elder, hawthorn and bramble. Nursery g

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Kempton Park

TQ 71 10 The Spelthorne/London boundary goes north west across the railway and the M3. It turns north to skirt the eastern edge of the filter beds and cross the Staines Reservoirs Aqueduct it then goes in a curving line north west along the Feltham Hill Brook. Post to the north Felthamhill Post to the east Kempton Park Sites on the Buckinghamshire/Spelthorne side of the border Hanworth Road Cantrell and Cochrane became part of Coco Cola. 19th mineral water manufacture 236 Cross Lances . Dark-red tiled Victorian local, with an extended saloon giving wheelchair access from the award-winning garden. Hanworth Water Works . For the East London Water Co. 1890 5m gall reservoir, six filter beds. 5 acres. Wells, etc. four engines 620 hp, 19 miles to Finsbury Park, chimney of 250' height. Plan to build a theme park. Refused permission but still the idea about. Some ducks but not many, they don't like it Pumping Station Kempton Park Racetrack Paddock Grandstand .From th

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Kempton Park

The London/Kingston/Spelthorne boundary continues north west until it reaches Staines Reservoirs Aqueduct and continues to the edge of the reservoir where it meets the boundary with London, Hounslow. The Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary turns south west and crosses the aqueduct and the railway line. It touches the northern edge of Half Moon Covert, crosses a path and continues to follow the northern edge of the race track. It eventually reaches a pond on the Portlane Brook and then turns north west again to the railway line. Post to the west Kempton Park Post to the east Marling Park Post to the south Sunbury Kempton Park Kempton Park A Park was developed at Kempton during the 13th and stocked with deer and rabbits and used by Henry VIII. It is the area of this park which was sold to the eventual racecourse owner, Sites on the Buckinghamshire/Spelthorne side of the boundary Kempton Park House? Near the house can be traced the sites of moats which mark the site of the original mano

The London/Buckinghamshire border. Marling Park

TQ 12 72 The Spelthorne /London/Kingston boundary continues northwards through Kempton Park and goes north along the site of an old reservoir with Hatherope Road Playing Field to the north. Post to the west Kempton Park Post to the south Kempton Park Sites on the London, Richmond side of the border Hatherop Park Park on the old council burning ground. It includes conservation areas, a children’s play area, winter sports pitches and allotments. There is a walk past a restored pond, along the railway with views of the wild birds on the reservoirs opposite. Lots of common flowers and butterflies. There are dead elms which provide habitat for woodpeckers and fungi. The pond is interesting because it is not on older maps but two coppiced alders show it had been a wet area for a long time. Marling Park Formerly known as Tangley Park. Site of hotel built in 1869 which subsequently became the Female Orphan Home in 1890 after Major Marling bought it and named it after himsel

The London/Surrey/Buckinghamshire border Portlane Bridge

The London/Surrey boundary continues north across Kempton Park. TQ 12 70 Post to the north Marling Park Post to the south Bessborough Post to the east Hampton  and West Molesey and Platts Eyot Post to the west Sunbury Kempton Park Sites on the London/Richmond side of the boundary Kempton Road Grand Junction Reservoir . Thames Water draws water from the River Thames and on when it gets to Hampton, it goes into the Grand Junction Reservoir. This small reservoir is used to blend different source water and balance the flow into the works. The water from the primary filters g oes under the Reservoir and six pumps lift the water into the ozone plant, where it is subjected to ozone dosing before passing to slow sand filters. Built by the Grand Junction Water Company but rebuilt after the First World War. It is used by large numbers of wintering birds. Lower Sunbury Road West Middlesex Water Co ., two works divided by the Lower Sunbury Road, built 1890. Unfiltered water went to

The London/Surrey boundary - West Molesey

The London/Surrey boundary goes up the river until half way along the Stain Hill Reservoir when it turns directly north and joins the Spelthorne boundary. It continues north across Kempton Park. Post to the north Kempton Park Post to the east Molesey Post to the south Molesey Post to the west Walton Apps Court  and Sunbury Rivermead Hurst Road Coal post north side at Walton/West Molesey boundary. 300 yards west of Weston Avenue Reservoirs - Four. Built in 1872, by the Lambeth and the Chelsea Waterworks Companies. In both cases building here because of problems with mud in the intake at Seething Wells. In 1871 the Lambeth Company built two storage reservoirs were built and the water was piped to the Ditton works for treatment. An oval-shaped brick conduit, approximately 5ft.9ins x 4ft.9ins., was constructed between West Molesey and Long Ditton. The Chelsea Company bought land next to the Lambeth Company's partly in West Molesey parish and partly in Walton. In 1875 a pumping

The London Surrey Boundary - West Molesey

The Surrey/London/Kingston boundary continues along the middle of the river Post to the west Bessborough reservoir Post to the north Hampton  and West Molesey and Platts Eyot Post to the east East Molesey Post to the south Island Barn Reservoir South of the river - Surrey, Elmbridge High Street Homes of Physically Handicapped. 1967 Youth Centre – ex fire-station, ex-school Hurst Road/ Cherry Orchard Road junction VR post box Walton Road/ Avern Road junction Molesey Stone . East and West Molesey are traditionally divided by the Molesey Stone - it is located on the grass outside Molesey Library on Walton Road. It is marked ‘EM’ and ‘WM’. ‘Erected in 1865, on the last occasion of the perambulation of the parish bounds’. During road works some years ago, the stone was re-erected about twenty yards westward of the true boundary. St.Peter’s Church . There has been a church here probably before Domesday. The present church was built in 1820 in a hideous yellow brick. The to

The London/Surrey border - Hampton

TQ 13 70 The London/Surrey boundary carries on up the middle of the river Post to the east Hampton  and Hurst Park Post to the south West Molesey Post to the west Kempton Park North Bank - London, Richmond This post covers only sites north of the river - south is West Molesey and Platts Eyot Ashley Road Built in 1897 along with houses along the railway. Belgrade Road Riverhill Estate between here and Plevna Road and laid out in 1878. Hampton Ruffs Candle factory bought by Ranyard Hampton north of the station, Park Road Had no building in Victorian but very slow to get going. Old Farm Road All Saints Plevna Road Riverhill Estate between here and Belgrade Road and laid out in 1878. Riverside Path on the north bank Landing stage Filter beds are between site of Metropolitan Water Board Ferry and old Sunnymeads Reservoir Between here and Kempton Park were brickfields for Hampton Court Draw dock, . the ancient Hampton Parish wharf. it was used for much the

The London/Surrey border - Hampton

A square by square look at London The Surrey/London Boundary carries on up the middle of the river This post covers only sites north of the river. South of the river is Hurst Park Post to the west Hampton  and West Molesey and Platts Eyot Post to the south East Molesey North Bank - London, Richmond Bushy Park Cobbler’s Walk . Named for Timothy Bennet who was a shoemaker who lived in Hampton Wick. In 1754 he campaigned for free public access across Bushy Park to Hampton. Cobbler's Walk is named after him Keeper’s Lodge Waterhouse Pond Waterhouse Woodland Garden Willow Plantation Church Street St.Mary . There are records of a church here before 1342. The church was completely rebuilt in 1831 by Lapidge after it was had been Struck by lightening in 1829 but its ancient monuments were preserved. It is a plain white brick building and a landmark tower without adornment. In 1888 Sir Arthur Blomfield added a sanctuary. Monuments: In the porch is a monument to Sibel Pen,

The London/Surrey border - East Molesey

The London/Surrey boundary goes on up the middle of the river Suburban riverside area Post to the west West Molesey Post to the north Hampton  and Hurst Park Post to the east Hampton Court  and East Molesey Post to the south Molesey River Thames Ash Island. The weirs connect an island, of some four acres in extent it is flat with bungalows and houseboats. Category I ecology site. Most of the island is densely covered in trees, and natural vegetation and a refuge for nesting water fowl . The island is privately owned and has a boatyard towards the lock, and moorings on the lower side. The islland has had a variety of names — Garrick's Lower Eyot , Mr Clay's Ait, Anglers' Ait, Harvey's Ait, Ashen Ait, and Robinson Crusoe Island. It was once much lower than it is today, and often flooded. After 1877 the part of the island was dredged away and the spoil spread over the rest of the island to raise its level, a process repeated in the early 1930s. After this an am

The London/Surrey border - Thames Ditton

A square by square look at London TQ 68 15 The London/Surrey boundary goes straight up the middle of the river The river Ember flows north east This square includes only sites south of the river. To the north is a tiny stretch of Hampton Court Park Post to the west Molesey Post to the north Hampton Court  and East Molesey Post to the east Hampton Court Park and Thames Ditton to the south South side - Surrey, Elmbridge Queens Road The Albany pub .  Also seems to be called the Six Continents, or The Fox on the River. Dates from 1896. Dittons Skiff and Punting Club . formed in 1923 and hosts its own annual regatta Ferry Riverside path Speer Road Hannibal Speer was Lord of the Manor at Ditton in the late 19th Thames Ditton United Reform Church Cemetery Sports Ground Summer Road On the Kingston Zodiac this reflects the twin, the God of light Ditton Field . Sports ground. Chain-link fencing, an all-weather hockey pitch and a line of boundary lombardy poplars

The London/Surrey Border - Hampton Court

The boundary between Surrey/London goes on up the middle of the river The River Mole joins the River Ember and they flow into the Thames Posh houses - many with great pedigrees clustered round the grandeur of Hampton Court - but there is, or was, some riverside industry here. This post includes only sites north of the river. South of the river is East Molesey Post to the west East Molesey Post to the south Thames Ditton   and Hampton Court Park North of the river - London, Richmond Broad Walk Along the front of the palace continuing to the riverside and laid out by Henry Wise for William III in 1699. It has a herbaceous border originating in the 1920s. It stretches nearly half a mile and is the longest in Britain. Campbell Road Hampton Court House . Built in 1757 by Thomas Wright of Durham for Mrs Donaldson, the mistress of the Earl of Halifax, There was 19th alterations for the classical scholar, Marmaduke Blake Sampson, and changed again in the 19th and the 20th. It h

The London/Surrey boundary - ..Hampton Court Park

TQ 6816 The London/Surrey boundary goes along the middle of the river, passing on the north side of Thames Ditton Island. Post to the west Thames Ditton  and Hampton Court Park Post to the east Seething Wells  and Hampton Court Palace Golf Clubhouse This posting shows sites north of the river only in this square. South of the river is Thames Ditton North Bank - sites in Surrey,Elmbridge Barge Walk Riverside walk - has an interesting range of plants, some preferring wet situations and some the drier bank top. A narrow strip of unmown grass along the sides had many plants some rare in London. There is some a self-sown woodland by the park wall, some planted hawthorn and cherry other trees growing at the water’s edge. Hampton Court Grounds Pavilion Terrace The Pavilion . Stone pine in the grounds. Built in 1937 as a cricket pavilion and now a private health club. Rabbit Warren – to provide supplies for the kitchen. Home Park Golf Course and Club House . Opened in 1895 and

The London/Surrey border - Seething Wells

A square by square look at London Tq 17 68 The London/Kingston/Surrey boundary comes northwards from the eastern edge of the Victoria Recreation Ground, crosses Balaclava Road and down Seething Well, goes through the works, crosses the Portsmouth Road, through more works and into the middle of the river, where it turns west upriver. This post covers sites south of the river only. North of the river is Hampton Court Palace Golf Clubhouse Post to the west Thames Ditton  and Hampton Court Park Post to the south Long Ditton Post to the north Kingston Portsmouth Road   and Hampton Court Park Rick Pond Sites on the London, Kingston side of the border Balaclava Road The name has clear associations with the Crimean War Brighton Road 73 Lamb . Small one bar local pub. Gent’s toilet on the site of an old brewery. Cadogan Road Built by Woods in the 1850s. Land in Surbiton was owned by Henry Paget, Earl of Uxbridge who had fought a duel with the Earl of Cadogan following an elo