The London/Surrey boundary - Nonsuch
TQ 23 64
Nonsuch Park – part of the park; and once the site of Henry VIII’s Palace of Nonsuch
The London/Surrey/Sutton boundary goes from the railway line north up Ewell Road and into Cheam Park. It runs north west between the Park and the wood to the end of Cheam Recreation Ground
Post to the north North Cheam
Post to the west Nonsuch
Post to the east Cheam
Sites on the London Sutton side of the boundary
This is in the grounds of what was early 19th Cheam Park House, in 1937 and the park was bought by the local authority. In 1939-40 it was used for assembling gas masks, but in 1944 it was bombed and later demolished. Lodge to Cheam Park House. The original drive is now tarmac which curves round in front of the house site which is still marked by a platform. The brick walls beyond the house site originally enclosed the kitchen garden which is now a parks depot. A shallow gully curving across the grass is the remains of the ha-ha which separated the garden from the park to the north.
Said to once have been a spring flowing west towards the Ewell Grove stream and the Hogsmill
Ewell Road Nonsuch High School for Girls an all-girls' school standing in 22 acres of grounds on the edge of Nonsuch Park
Sites on the Surrey Epsom side of the boundary
Cuddington. The name refers to a Saxon landowner. It is an elongated ‘finger’ parish which in 1538 had a church and houses but which Henry VII then acquired in order to build Nonsuch and then demolished it all. ‘Cotintone’ 727, ‘Cudintone’ 933 ‘Codintone’ 1086, that is 'farmstead associated with a man called Cuda',
Nonsuch House. A Mansion House with turrets and battlements by Wyattville. It was built 1731-1743 by Joseph Thompson, but enlarged by Jeffrey Wyatt in 1802- 6 for Samuel Farmer. A chequer-work wall of flint and chalk on the east side is Tudor. Inside the porch wall is a stone, crudely inscribed: 1543 HENRICV OCTAVS + 35. This suggests that the house occupies the site of, and was perhaps originally converted from, one of the lodges in the Little Park. A service wing with a dairy and kitchen has been restored.
Chalk Pit. Understood to have provided material for the building of Nonsuch Palace.
This is the remains of a road begun in the 1930s which would have re-established part of the old Vicarage Lane route between the Cheam Gate of Nonsuch Park and the Ewell by-pass. It remains as an overgrown concrete path with a pedestrian subway where a pathway to Warren Farm crosses the route.
This material has been compiled over many years and from a wide variety of sources