The London/Surrey/Sutton boundary - Worcester Park
TQ 21 66
The London/Surrey/ Kingston boundary runs west parallel to the south side of Highdown. It then crosses Malden Lane and turns south down the Hogsmill.
Post to the west Old Malden
Post to the north Old Malden
Posn to the east Cheam Common
Sites on the Surrey Epsom side of the boundary
On the virgin of the Kingston Zodia
c. Under an ancient mound - Old Malden on the Virgin Where William de Merton founded school.
Laid out by developers on the site of the Worcester Park Estate. Soon after the railway was built as Great Avenue. Shops were built.
St Mary, 1895 by A. Thomas of Whitfield & Thomas. Flint. Stained Glass window by L. Lee, 1959.
Wandgas sports ground
Dancer Dick Wood – nature conservation importance
Old Malden Lane
Ice House Shown on the 1933 25" Ordnance Survey map to have existed in the former grounds of Worcester Park House which was demolished in the 1950s between Old Maiden Lane and Grafton Road, Ewell, on what is now the northern boundary of Linden Bridge School grounds.
Gunpowder mills. These were known as Tolworth or Long Ditton mills and were operated by the Evelyn family probably c.1561-1606. They were closed when the Earl of Worcester incorporated the site into Nonsuch Park. The industry was re-established here about 1720 by the Taylor family who operated the mills, which by then called the Worcester Park Mills, until c.1849. The mills were later leased to Curtis and Harvey, gunpowder makers of Hounslow. They closed shortly before 1865 when the land was sold for suburban development. A corn mill then occupied the site from 1874 until it burnt down in 1891. After the site was used for a printing works and other industries. It was cleared in 1950 but some of the later mill buildings have survived, as does a bedstone in the garden of ’Old Mill Cottage' next to the former corn mill. Part of the mill site was occupied by Messrs Adams Bristow.
Laid out by developers soon after the railway was built. On the site of the Worcester Park Estate.
Shadbolt House was bought by the council in 1937. The grounds, were planted as an arboretum
The Watercourse joins the Hogsmill River – is this the Tolworth Stream
This material has been compiled over many years and from a wide variety of sources