London and Greenwich Railway. Bermondsey
The Greenwich Railway runs south eastwards from London Bridge Station
TQ 34243 79751
Inner urban area of riverside and central Bermondsey. Along the riverside are the remains of wharves - many of which dealt with grain of various sorts into the 1980s. Many have been converted into flats; others demolished. There is some open space. In the south west of this square the earliest railway in London and the first suburban railway in the world - the London and Greenwich - runs, along with other lines going in to London Bridge. Away from the river the area was intensely industrialised with factories of all sorts in streets along with housing which dated mainly either from the 19th or 20th council estates. Of particular note in this area was the vast Peek Frean biscuit factory - now largely a location for small businesses. There were also glue works, preserves, baking chemicals and much else - with some works associated with the Bermondsey Leather industry. There are also the usual inner city social support organisations along with churches, places of entertainment and so on. This area was intensely bombed in the Second World War and there are some terrible accounts of raids where many people died.
Post to the west Neckinger
Post to the south The Blue
Post to the north Wapping (south east) and Post to the north Wapping (south west)
Post to the east Surrey Docks
Pickle factory. Present in the early 20th and behind the houses on the west side.
Baptist Church Sunday School
Ben Smith Way
Ventilation/escape shaft from the Jubilee Line below with a connection to the running tunnels and the west end of platform tunnels at Bermondsey Station. It has a wavy concrete form.
Bermondsey Wall East
Until the early 1950s Bermondsey Wall East continued and became Bermondsey Wall West. It was also known as Rotherhithe Street. The building out of Chambers Wharf essentially led to a break in the two roads, although the route along the wall continued it became subsidiary to Chambers Road.
The ‘wall’ element of the name relates to the river wall along which the road goes. The embankment here is probably 11th undertaken by monks at Bermondsey Abbey who were the landowners.
11 Golden Fleece Pub, since demolished.
14 Admiral Tyrell Pub. Demolished
17 J. Scott, Mathematical and Nautical Instrument Maker shop here mid 19th
Fountain Dock - now Fountain Square
Owst and Peacock. Wood truss and hoop manufacturer. They were roughly on the site of Providence Square going through to Jacob Street
94 Old Justice Pub. Built in 1934 as a nearly riverside pub. Herringbone brickwork and half timbering. This is now a Korean restaurant.
26 Three Mariners Pub. 1870s
33 Bennett's Lower Wharf. This was formerly Darnell's Ltd grain warehouse and mill. This was a granary, served by lighters, and later used as a general storehouse, then disused. 94 (11 previous numbering) In the Second World War it was taken over by J.J.Prior, aggregates. The site was later taken over by Chambers Wharf, then Hays Wharf. Darnells passed the granary on to Bennetts Haulage in the 1930s
40 Bunch of Grapes Pub. Demolished
Fountain’s Stairs Wharf. This site was also owned by Darnells and later Begbie and Young. The Granary building was occupied by Caledonian Wharfage in the 1930s.
Fountain Stairs. A free landing and watermen’s’ plying place. On the foreshore were two gridirons for barge repairs, the earlier made of 18th ship's timbers. Here in the 19th were James Porter, Sail Maker and Ships’ Chandler, and in 1823 G.French, Rope Makers. Maps show Fountain Stairs Wharf and Fountain Hole Barge stairs - a ‘hole’ is a mooring place in the River. A causeway extended from the stairs into the river.
Powell’s Wharf. This wharf was on both sides of the road and was where Caledonian Wharfage handled sugar and confectionary. Two granaries were on the site – one built by Young and Raymond and the other by Begbie and Young, contractors. It was a four storey brick warehouse using hydraulic equipment.
Farrand's Wharf. This included a large 19th warehouse. Operated by Young and Raymond as a granary. It linked across the street to other buildings via a catwalk. The wharf handled bagged flour and foodstuffs. Latterly this as Gardiner and Tidy
Cherry Garden Wharf. Also operated by Gardiner and Tidy but with very limited facilities.
Cherry Garden. This is the site of a 17th pleasure garden. Visited by Pepys in 1864 and is said to have remained until 1846
Cherry Garden Pier. During the 17th centuries, the pier was the landing place for the nearby gardens. It is said to be the site from where Turner painted 'The Fighting Temeraire’. It is now owned by the Port of London Authority. Here, ships wanting to go through Tower Bridge had to raise signal pennants and blow whistles and River Pilots were also based here. Fire floats were moored here and passenger steamers stopped. It is now the base for the river boat company, City Cruises and is a floating pier with a pontoon footbridge
114 Ship and Pilot Pub. This was on the south side of the road on the corner with Marigold Street and has been demolished
Cherry Garden Open Space. This small park has trees, paths and a riverside walk. It is a broad riverside promenade with cherry trees created 1988-9 for the LDDC by RMJM. Statues - Dr Salter's Daydream. This was a three-figure group with Dr Salter on a public bench looking at his dead daughter Joyce, and her pet cat on the wall. It was commissioned by the London Docklands Development Corporation and is by Diane Gorvin's. The statue of Dr.Salter was stolen by metal thieves, and the others removed for safety.
Appollinaris Wharf. The buildings of the wharf were both inland and riverside. This is also Lucas and Spencer wharf. Appollinaris mineral water was imported here from Germany. The wharf buildings dated from 1870 and replaced a guano works, a granary and the ‘Lion and Castle’ Pub. It was later taken over by Chambers Wharf and demolished in the 1970s.
87 Corbett's Wharf. This wharf plus a warehouse was leased to A. H. & E. Foster, who specialised in cereals, flowers, seeds and bulbs. It dates from c1860-70 and its name was shown on a stone cornice to the river. The building was previously joined to other warehouses on the south side of the street by a gantry. It closed in 1972 and its warehouse was converted into housing in the 1980s. It has converted to housing with plain balconies added and the ground floor opened and the cast-iron columns exposed. There is also a modern roof extension, and the area underneath has been filled in with parking areas.
National Wharf. This belonged to the National Wharves and Warehousing Company. It handled general merchandise. The National Terrace Housing Development now stands here
National Terrace was constructed in the 1990s as a terrace of ten, 3 storey houses in a mock Georgian style
130-134 Angel Wharf. A plaque saying ‘Corbett’s Wharf which was built J.H. & E. Foster 1934’. However this was the inland warehouse used with Apollinaris Wharf. The building is in brick with timber flaps to door openings. Balconies were added when the building was converted to housing in the 1990s to residential. Windows are a ‘mock’ warehouse style.
Platform Wharf. This was a 1930s bonded tobacco warehouse demolished in the late 1970s. Along with neighbouring Platform Sufferance Wharf it was managed by the Customs Fund which was an organisation set up in 1816 to provide pensions to the widows of customs officers. In the course of demolition the manor house was found.
Edward VII’s moated Manor House - Rotherhithe Palace.. This was probably the manor house for that part of Rotherhithe which had not been granted to Bermondsey Abbey. It was originally in the hands of the Clare family but seems to have passed into royal control around the reign of Edward III. Henry IV is said to have lived here in 1412 while recovering from leprosy although it had been given to St.Mary Graces under Edward. It had a moat and a defensive earth bank around it. It had a gatehouse and a watergate. The site is said to have later been used as the site of a pottery, and eventually the bonded warehouse called Platform Wharf.
5-16 King Edward III’s Mews two-storey paired cottages of modern, stock brick with slate roofs and single slate-roofed porches over the paired doors. These front onto a path around the displayed area of the Monument and are within the monument. To the rear of these properties, fronting onto the mews yard Nos. 1-4 King Edward III’s Mews are of a similar character.
Platform Sufferance Wharf. This was a tobacco handling wharf managed along with Platform Wharf
101 Angel Pub. The Royal Humane Society was set up here in 1900 because this is where people drowned. Built in 1850 but this is on 15th site, served by the monks of the Priory at a guest house called The Salutation. A trapdoor in the kitchen is said to have been used by smugglers. Recently Extensive structural work has been necessary to prevent the building slipping into the river. It has oak beams, low ceilings and pillars and a view of the River. Upstairs restaurant is dark wood panelling, lanterns, and a ship's figurehead. It used to be a Truman’s House but is now Samuel Smiths’. The River frontage has a weatherboard gallery on wooden posts
Braithwaite and Dean Wharf. This was next to the Angel Pub and undertook barge building and repairs
Pace Wharf. Barge building yard
Redriff Stairs. The principal stairs in Rotherhithe but they are no longer here
Boziers Mill. The Mill is shown on the 1790s Horwood Plan lying on the riverside east of West Street. It was at the end of the mill stream which ran from the area known as Seven Islands and now covered by Southwark Park. A Bozier family were known to be Rotherhithe residents in this period. This is presumably the Surrey Mill mentioned by other writers as being managed by a James Robert Mangles In 1843 and milling flour used for Ships' biscuits.
Kings Stairs. The Kings Stairs were the landing stage for the royal manor house The King in question was Edward III who had a house nearby. The current stairs are against the west side of 1 Fulford Street and are now in concrete, raised in height as part of the river defences. Archaeological remains of earlier stairs may survive below
King's Stairs Gardens. This became a Southwark public open space in the 1980s on reclaimed building land. The park has lawns and steeply undulating hillocks with fine views over the river, and scattered trees include London plane.
Jubilee Stone. This monument was unveiled by the Earl and Countess of Wessex in 2002 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. It replaced an earlier stone which had been installed for the Silver Jubilee in 1977.
Dover Castle. A Hoare pub at King’s Stairs
Pocock's Barge Yard – next to King’s Stairs. Barge repair business.
Bermondsey Wall West
Mill Stairs. These were under Reeds Wharf. Traditional watermen’s plying place.
Downing’s Roads. Tower Bridge Moorings. Since the 19th, the moorings have accommodated a variety of vessels...since the 1980s the moorings have been owned by Nicholas Lacey. There are garden barges, converted from lighters, forming the infrastructure of the moorings with their roofs act as gardens with walkways .At the outskirts is ArtsArk, a floating platform, which is a stage for arts events. The moorings also support services like marine repairs and fuel. The Roads also provide temporary mooring spaces. Downing had been barge owners.
1 Reeds Wharf. Brick, expressionist style riverside house by CZWG. 'B' Warehouse. In the 19th this was a granary once operated by H. Reed, here since the 18th and mainly handled grain from North America. It is now converted to studios, and housing. The building is slightly convex to the street, 5 storeys. There is an archway giving access to the site of Mill Stairs and the wharf lay over the stairs. After the Second World War this was operated by Wheat Sheaf Mills Ltd. Handling wheat and barley by barge and lorry.
Uveco Wharf. The mill was operated by Spillers who handled grain and made dog biscuits, poultry food etc. Uveco were based in St.Helens, Lancashire. Closed in 1983
21 St Saviour's House. The building has a white rendered wall, a large door with a classical pediment, and a circular window above it.
Providence Tower. This will be a 44-storey residential block due for completion in 2015. The developer is Ballymore, and the flats are being sold in Hong Kong and Singapore,
24-30 Penhyrn Wharf. Pulp Mills 1918
25 Springells Wharf. There is now housing on the site. It was used by Dudin and Sons, Wharfingers, in the 1870s. It was later used by Southwell, confectioners, with a factory in Jacob Street for the import of fruit.
25-27 River View Heights on what was Adlard’s Wharf. Flats developed by Albany Group with a communal river fronted terrace. Adlard's were slaters and tilers.
29 Tempus Wharf. Housing converted from a five storey brick warehouse with small wooden granary with central loading door and wagon entrance. On the river front wads a wall-mounted lattice-jibbed crane. Timber floors and posts inside built c 1870. There is a dolphin in the river which served the wharf.
Deverell's Wharf. This was a 19th warehouse which was originally a granary owned by Swayne and Bovill.
Reed’s Lower Wharf. The wharf was operated by H.T.Reed and was on the site of an earlier boat builder.
Murrell's Wharf. In the 1890s corn and forage factors.
Seabourne Coal Wharf. This was a 19th wharf handling coal from the Tyne. In the 1930s this wharf was handling animal bones for glue manufacture. It had been rebuilt in the 1890s by Adams
28 Flockton Gallery. This is in a 19th workshop.
33 London Grist Mills. This was a converted grist mill of 1866, disused in 1997. This had been operated by London Grist Mills who had been on the site since 1800. In the 1850s it was Grove’s Granary. It had full-height loading doors, hooded to the river and open timber staircases.
37 Luna Building. This was constructed by architect Glen Howells and developer Berkeley Homes. It is modernist with glass-fronted balconies over a riverside terrace.
East Lane Wharf. This was the refuse wharf for Bermondsey Borough Council tipping rubbish into barges. It had previously been a Fore and Aft Dry Dock
East Lane Stairs. The steps are pre 1746 and are on Roque. Also called Sterling Wharf Stairs
Glendenning Wharf. In the 1870s this site was used by Glendenning who were wharfingers
The road is named for members of the Bermondsey leather merchant family. The road appears to have had previous names, Princes Road and then Vienna Road. It appears to follow the line of a rope walk – there were several such walks parallel to each other in the late 18th and early 19th.
In the mid 19th this was called Love Lane followed by Lucas Street
Cathay House. This dates from the early 1960s but has since been modernised, The Bermondsey Borough Arms are displayed over the door. The Lion and Crosier refer to Bermondsey Abbey (for Bermondsey Vestry), and the crown and battle-axe are for St. Olaf, King of Norway attacked the Danes at Southwark (for St.Olave Vestry) and the ship represents the shipping industry (for Rotherhithe Vestry).
This was once called Cloyne Row and did not exist at all before the 1920s. The expansion of Chambers Wharf and its buildings led to change. Before the early 1950s Chambers Street was a subsidiary street but it became the main road linking the two sections of Bermondsey Wall
Chambers Wharf. Chambers Wharf was operated by Chambers Wharf and Cold Stores Ltd. On the site of what had previously been Montreal and Sunderland Wharves. Chambers was a bulky cold store from the 1930s with some decorative brickwork on the south side. Much of the wharf was rebuilt after war damage. It had berthing accommodation for three vessels at once. There was a regular service of general cargo vessels three times a week from Amsterdam. They handled perishable goods as a speciality having three and a half million cuft of covered storage space, of which one and half million cuft was refrigerated which was largest sub zero storage in the country. This has now all been demolished
A dolphin associated with the wharf survives.
Wharf .This is a concrete wharf running along the length of the riverside area and it is a multi period structure from 20th. The jetty was built after the Second World War with a travelling crane, which was later extended along the shoreline. A concrete hard surface extends over the jetty.
Sunderland Wharf. These were on the riverside in Bermondsey Wall West and preceded Chambers Wharves on the site it was occupied by T.Addis and Sons, wharfingers.
Montreal Granaries – these were on the riverside in Bermondsey Wall West and preceded Chambers Wharves on the site. It was occupied by John Dudin & Sons. Watermen and lightermen
Cherry Garden Street
The road once extended south across Jamaica Road running between Drummond Street and Southwark Park Road as far as what was then Fenner Street, now an estate road north of Lockwood House.
Fire Station. This was a commanding building with a tower and pinnacle on the north western street corner. It was built by the London County Council and was one of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade River stations with no land based engines stationed there. Fireboat Delta was there followed by Gamma III. The station maintained a wheeled escape and a hose cart, with two hook ladders. It remained open until 1948 when the river service was reviewed and it was closed.
Housing - red brick terraces and blocks of flats named after Collingwood, Cornwallis, Calder and Barham and blocks called Nelson, Hamilton and Hardy designed by RMM
50 The Cherry Tree Pub. This was demolished.
New Place Boiler House. This is a gas-powered district heating station serving a nearby council housing estate, and rated at about 38 GWh/year
Bermondsey Business Centre - The Biscuit factory. This is the remains of Peek Frean’s biscuit factory. Mr Peek was a tea merchant in the City of London and George Hender Frean was a West Country miller and ships' biscuit maker who had married into the Peek family. Peek's financed a biscuit factory for his sons to be managed by Frean in Mill Street, Bermondsey in 1857 and they became the pioneers of the modern biscuit. In 1866 they bought a site in Drummond Road and a new factory in Mill Street 1857. They invented the Marie in 1875; Chocolate in 1869; Gold Puff in 1909; shortcake in 1912; Pat-a-cake in 1907 and the Bourbon in 1910. Cheeselets and Twiglets were introduced in the 1930s.They made Mrs. Peeks Xmas puddings. Flour was milled in-house; dough mixing was done by machines the size of a small room. There was a pattern shop for wooden patterns for the metal biscuit moulds. Broken biscuits were sold loose through the Employee Sales Outlet. The factory closed in 1989 and became the Tower Bridge Business Complex. The company provided medical, dental and optical services to their staff and founded sports and cultural clubs. They made the Queen’s six feet tall wedding cake. There is now a blue plaque on the site – but the great smell of biscuits has gone from the area.
Rope Walk. Before the extension of the biscuit factory to the south, a rope walk extended from this road southwards. It appears to have been roughly on the site of Entrance G of the Biscuit Works.
The estate was built in the 1920s by The London County Council which had condemned the area around Wolseley Street and George Row as unfit.
Wade House. A flat in the house was used in the 1950s as a base for a social/neighbourhood worker in a scheme set up between the London County Council and Tome and Talents. The worker's was to 'encourage a community spirit amongst the tenants’
Club Room. The centre was opened in 1951. It had a hall and a laundry. The laundry has since become a bar.
Viaduct and tunnel. The street passes under the railway viaduct approaching London Bridge Station, currently eleven lines. The viaduct was built and widened at different times beginning with the most northerly, The London and Greenwich from the 1830s and added to from the south from then. On the line here and directly above the road are the ruined remains of Spa Road Station. This was the first powered railway station opened in London by the London and Greenwich Railway in 1836. It finally closed in 1915 – but station announcers at London Bridge still refer to it when incoming trains are held back there. The length of the tunnel here is partly due to running lines fanning out to go round the station ruins, as if it were still in operation.
Dockley Road Industrial Estate. On the site of industries including the tin plate works.
B.Noakes & Co. Tin Plate works 1890s -1920s. Making specialist cans and casks
121 City Hope Church. This had been Vineyard Community Church but was renamed in 2004. Vineyard dated from 1985 when Drummond Road Baptist Church joined Bermondsey Christian Fellowship – A union of three Bermondsey churches. Drummond Road Baptist Church itself had been opened by Charles Spurgeon in 1865 and indeed he preached the first sermon here.
59 Prince Alfred Pub. This dated from the 1860s and has been demolished
Scott Lidgett School. opened in the 1960s as a secondary school Named after John Scott Lidgett, prominent Methodist and London politician. designed for the Inner London Education Authority: architect Sir Hubert Bennett, project architect Eric Classey. generous provision for non-academic activities, in response to the Newsome Report of 1963. included a swimming pool and a youth centre open in the evenings, an indoor theatre, a hollowed, open air theatre. the best football team in London and once won the English Schools FA Cup. The school closed and the buildings became part of Southwark College in 1991.
Southwark College. This moved into the Scott Lidgett School site as the college Surrey Docks Campus. It merged with Lewisham College in 2012 to become LeSoCo following a poor Ofsted report. The campus is now closed.
Playground. This has a mural around the perimeter wall.
Previously Amelia Row
Glue Works. At the south end of the street was the entry to the glue and size works with a weighbridge and gate. This had originally been owned by Proctor and Bevington and dated from 1884. It was taken over by B. Young & Co Ltd whose main factory was in Grange Road. In 1926 the Company became part of British Glue & Chemical, and the works closed in 1981 and in 1982 the land was sold for redevelopment. They had stopped making glue on site by 1900 and concentrated on gelatine manufacture, Spa Gelatine being a leading brand.
East Lane once ran all the way north to Bermondsey Wall.
East Lane School. The site of this London Council Council infant’s school was to the north of the current line of East Lane and it is now under St Michaels Roman Catholic School.
Peabody Dwellings. This was an early Peabody estate, austere blocks, built of concrete. They were demolished after the Second World War.
Part of Bermondsey Garden Suburb built in 1928 by the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey and inspired by Dr.Salter. They are now known as 'Salter Cottages'. They were designed by Culpin and Borthers
Duffield Sluice. This is an old drainage outlet on the Lock Stream which was built for the local Commissioner of Sewers. It is a wedge shaped building on a former drainage ad now used as offices. There is a plaque inscribed: Sewers Surrey and Kent, Duffield Sluice, 1822. The land surrounding the building was probably the sewer plant and is now housing.
Bermondsey Settlement, This provided a varied curriculum of both evening tuition and lectures. Staff did much to alleviate the conditions found in the poorer areas. It was founded by Methodists Rev. J. Scott Lidgett and Dr. Moulton. Scott Lidgett first launched plans for a Settlement in 1889 in Cambridge and Bermondsey was chosen for the Settlement because the area suited his purposes. Large firms in Bermondsey gave him a chilly reception but, Colonel Samuel Bevington encouraged him. The foundation stone was laid by Joseph Savory and The Settlement building was opened for educational work the following year by Sir John Lubbock, as chairman of the London County Council. The Settlement was to bring educated workers to the neighbourhood. The Settlement was demolished in 1969.
Fountain Green Square
Fountain Dock – the square is built on the area of this dock. Here was built in 1654 the first warship under the Commonwealth - The Taunton with 48 guns. In the 1870s a west dock is shown adjacent to the gridiron. The dock was occupied by Smith and Co in 1790, Westlake's in 1830, Williams and Sons in 1850. Mills and Knight, steam engine boiler makers, were here from the 1890’s - 1935. It had a dry-dock, a sawpit and a tidal gridiron. In 1955 it was in use by J.J.Prior. The site is now new housing
Spa Road Station. This opened in 1836 of the London and Greenwich Railway as a temporary station adjoining Rouel Road. It closed on 1838 and was resited and reopened in 1867 on a slightly different site and it closed on 15th March 1915. The original station was the first to open in London in a race beat Euston. Passengers had to climb a scaffolding staircase to a line with no visible platform and the only booking arrangements were a man in a top hat. Trains only stopped here if requested. The office was lit by large window looking out into Frean Street. Relics of the 1860s station remain at ground level and are now part of a trading estate.
41 This – the ‘leaning tower’ - is the final reminder of the once enclosed character of the river frontage and the warehouses there. Braithwaite and Dean lighterage had this premises in the 1980s until they were dissolved in the early 1990s. Here or in nearby premises In 1937 Jessica Mitford and her husband Piers Romilly lived here when the house belonged to Roger Roughton. Later Princess Margaret and Anthony Armstrong Jones also used premises here or nearby. It is also said to have been a pub called the Jolly Watermen.
Day Nursery. This was on the west side of the road and initially run by Met Borough of Bermondsey probably in the Second World War. It closed in 1958
Neckinger – the river Neckinger is said to follow the line of the road and runs underground causing subsidence and damp nuisance. Until the early 19th it ran down the east side of the road as an open stream and as part of the millstream complex here
Bridge House. This was at the north end of the road showing the wealth locally in the 18th. It was built in 1706 with curved 17th style gables and a shell hood. A large detached house it was divided into tenements and demolished in the 1950s.
Nickleby House. Plaque to Tommy Steele’s childhood home.
St.Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary school. In 1838 Catherine MacAulay of the Irish Sisters of Mercy was asked to set up a convent in Bermondsey. Originally they opened a school in the convent grounds and this lasted into the 1900s. By 1912 the number of pupils meant that a new premises was needed. The site was by Hickman's Folly and had been used as a tannery. The school was built by the brother of one of the nuns and they nuns paid for it themselves. In 1939 the school was evacuated and the Bermondsey building became an Emergency School. After the war it became an all age mixed Roman Catholic school. In 1949 it became a primary School.
19 George Pub. Now demolished.
Anchor and Hope pub. Present in the 1880s and now demolished
43 Old Margate Town Pub. Demolished.
67 W.A.Crips. They were engineering smiths and welders, who also made chains by hand. The premises date from 1864. On closure in 1980 much equipment was removed for preservation. Inside there was extensive use of line shafting and belt drives which were originally powered by a gas engine. From its foundation the firm made iron fittings, and particularly chains, for barges and lighters, but soon expanded its scope to include iron and steel bridge building, warehouse fitting and mill furnishing; providing a comprehensive service to the riverside industries
72 White Hart pub. Present in the 1880s and now demolished. It was used by charity Time and Talents in the 1900s
Dockhead Club. This was on the corner of with Abbey Street and opened in 1931. It had a hall, club rooms, library, chapel, roof playground and bedsits. They provided youth activities.
Hall. This is on the site of a large, purpose-built girls' club which had been set-up and run by Time and Talents. The club was damaged by bombing during the Second World War
This was a cul de sac which ran parallel and south of Wolseley Street and said to have been built on the site of a tannery. At one time it ran from Dockhead to George Row where it crossed the open Neckinger by a bridge.
13 Mr. Vale, glass blower's factory 1880s.
23 London City Mission Hall.
25 Thomas Sutton, chemicals and dyes, orchil and cudbear 1880s
Redman and Nicols. Tin plate works 1880s
East of Mill Street is Jacob's Island. It was first built around 1700. It was an infamous slum and the site of Bill Sykes's death in Dickens's ‘Oliver Twist’. It was surrounded by polluted millstreams and was once surrounded by a ditch, six or eight feet deep and 20 feet wide when the tide was in. It included Halfpenny Alley, Gutteridge Court, Providence Row, and Turners Court.
Wooden Hoop factory. This was on the north side of the road.
9 Spillers factory where ships biscuits, and later dog food were made. Built 1905 and demolished in 1995. It included an early concrete structure on the Hennebique system. The architect William T. Walker was a friend of Hennebique's and his UK licensee. The only remaining of the works is the mid-19th front block of the stave yard. The site is now Providence Square
Jacob Street Studios. This was built in 1984 on the site of the Spillers dog biscuit factory. Used for the TV Series London’s burning. Replaced by Providence Square. At one point it was London’s largest film studio.
Jacobs Island transformer house for London Electricity Supply Co. This building has now been converted to flats.
Charles Southwell, confectionary factory. They made jams, jellies, candied fruit, etc and imported oranges to use in medical products. Other fruit imported and used for jams etc.
Monument Iron Works, 1890s
Three Tuns Pub. This pub appears on old prints from the mid-19th. Long gone
1 The Stave Porter. This was on the corner with Mill Street and probably remained there until the 1930s.
This is now the A200 and is apparently named from the Jamaica Tavern which once stood near on the corner of Cherry Garden Road at the eastern end of what was then Jamaica Row. . The easternmost section of the road here was once called Union Road as far as the Southwark Park Road Junction. The road has also been straightened between St. James Road and Abbey Street leaving the original line of the road to the south as Old Jamaica Road a further realignment ran across the end of Parker’s Row.
Christ Church. This church was on the corner of Neckinger Road with what was then Parkers Row and is now part of Jamaica Road. It was built in 1848 designed by W Bennett Hayes. It was in brick with a belfry. It was declared redundant in 1956 and demolished in 1966. The organ is now in St Nicholas, Southfleet
96 Gregorian Pub. The previous address was St James Place, Lower Road. It is believed the pub was here by 1550. It was re-built in mock-Tudor style shortly after the Second World War
Denday's Turnpike, This was at the corner of what is now St, James Road and was abolished in 1826.
Bermondsey Station. Opened in 1999 it lies Between London Bridge and Canada Water Stations on the Jubilee Line. It was a new station and lies alongside a small side turning called Major Road. It was designed by Ian Ritchie Architects who extensively used natural light. There is a cut-and-cover section supported by latticed concrete beams allowing light down to the platform level. The escalators are lined by flat concrete and a high ceiling to give a feeling of spaciousness. The bored section is encased with metal. Bermondsey station has platform edge doors for passenger safety and comfort.
119 Jamaica Cinema. The Bermondsey Cinematograph Theatre opened in 1913, and was commonly called ‘The Stork’ due to its closeness to Stork’s Road. In 1929 it was operated by L. Posner & H. Pearl and it had closed by 1935. The building became a whiskey warehouse for William Teacher & Co. In 1975, as a celebration if its history they re-opened it for 3-nights, screening films
150 The Clarence pub. This has now been demolished
175 -177 congregational church between these two numbers. In the mid 17th James Janeway moved to Salisbury Place. He identified nearby the Jamaica Barn and opened it as a meeting house. For this he was persecuted and although the new church was successful the barn was pulled down. Another building was at once erected and eventually Janeway got a licence for freedom of worship. By the late 18th the church began to decline and the Rev. John Townsend, and the church, which had been Presbyterian, was reorganised on Congregational lines. In the mid 19th a new church was built with a large Sunday school. The church is not there now.
191 Admiral Hawke pub. This was on the corner of Salisbury Street and has now been demolished
Harold’s school. This school stood on the corner with Drummond Road in the 19th and appears to have been run by the Congregational Education Board.
Christ Church. This was a simple Gothic church on the corner of Cathay Street built in 1838-9 by Lewis Vulliamy on land given by Field Marshal Sir William Gomm who was buried there in 1875. It was declared redundant in 1964, was used as storage for the Diocese until 1974, and was demolished in 1979. The Bosco centre is now on the site
Christ Church Gate into the park
243 Boatman. Pub named after the family which ran it. It was previously called the Royal George with an address of 24 Union Road.
Jamaica House. This Jacobean style house with a balcony going right round the first floor was here at the south end of Cherry Garden Road until the mid-19th and seems to have been connected to the Cherry Garden Pleasure Garden. Said to have a connection with Oliver Cromwell.
210 Queen Charlotte Pub corner Southwark Park Road
210a Milllpond Tenants and Residents Hall
252 Scout House. Owned by Southwark District Scouts which has 15 Scout Groups based throughout the District.
281 Bosco Centre . This centre runs education courses and a nursery as well as other youth activities. The centre is run by Salesian sisters as part of the Italian Don Bosco organisation. It is. At the edge of King's Stairs Gardens. It has modern brick buildings, which stand in a railed property and heavily wooded with mature trees to the margins linking these to the Gardens. The main brick house fronting onto Jamaica Road was originally the Vicarage for the, now demolished, Christ Church. At the back is a small, modern private chapel built of brick in a ‘warehouse’ style with segmental-arched window heads.
Methodist chapel. A Primitive Methodist church opened on Jamaica Road in 1856. This was in the area which is now Southwark Park’s Jamaica Road frontage
Bomb shelters. Built into the large grassed area adjacent to Jamaica Road in between the Southwark park entrances were three large wedge-shaped brick structures, each about 10ft. high. These were the entrances to the bomb shelters built during World War II. Demolished, but the shelters themselves still exist.
Named for James Janeway, 17th cleric who founded a local church
Houses which were built as Bermondsey Garden Suburb in 1928 by the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey under Alfred Salter
Riverside Primary School. Built in 1874 by M.P. Manning of Gale & Manning. It was one of the first schools designed for the School Board for London. It is on a very cramped site and thus there is a ground floor playground opening to an arcade.
John Felton Road
John Felton was a Roman Catholic who was executed in the 16th. He was a wealthy man who lived at Bermondsey Abbey.
Archaeology in this area found Roman pottery and some pits.
John Rolls Way
John Rolls was a justice and a prominent member of a Bermondsey family in the 18th
Keetons Road once ran south as far as the Peek Frean’s entrance south of Clements Road.
Keetons Road School. This primary school was bombed with 400 casualties while being used as a reception centre in 1940. It was a three decker London School Board building. After the war the site was used for the Scott Lidgett School, latterly Southwark College. Compass Free School is now on the site.
Compass School Free School on part of the Scott Lidgett School site and part of Southwark College. Opened in 2013
Housing designed by Neylan & Ungless in 1981with low terraces around courtyards
The street is roughly on the line of one of a series of 18th rope walks. It is also in the area of an 18th large rectangular fish pond stretching roughly from the site of Chambers Wharf to the current Jamaica Road. It was originally called New Church Road.
St.Michael's Roman Catholic school. This is now an ‘academy’.
16 The Ship pub, also called The Ship in Distress. This has been demolished.
Stephen the Yeoman's Mission and Ragged School. This had been founded in 1859 and was based in Marigold Place off the east side of the street. As well as the Ragged School they had a Maternity Society and sick nurse, and gave weekly People's Entertainments. Rebuilt in 1885
Marine Street was realigned as part of the Spa Road development project
Spa Road Station. Under the railway arch the two iron doors gave access to the ticket office of the 1842-1867 station and the platform
49 Britannia Pub. Demolished
Downside Fisher Youth Club. The club was in premises here until 1914.
Old Jamaica Road
2. The Drill Hall was opened in 1876 and used by the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment Third Volunteer Battalion. The building is now redundant and in use for housing having latterly been used by the Territorial Army. The main standing building dates from the 1950
War Memorial. A Memorial to those Officers and Soldiers of the 22nd Bn. The London Regiment (Queen’s) who died in The Great War. It was erected about 1921 in the old Drill Hall yard. After the Second World War a plaque was added to commemorate those of the 6th (Bermondsey) Bn. the Queen’s Royal Regiment who had died. In 1953, when the Drill Hall was extended, the Memorial was incorporated into the outside wall of the new building. In front of the Memorial are two stone flower boxes, on which are Memorial Plaques to two Officers, Colonel J G Bevington, TD and Colonel C H Nice, TD, DL.
St. James Church of England Primary School. As a church school it was a national school in the 1870s. The school is in relatively modern buildings and was previously on a different site on the corner now between Spa and Thurland Roads, south and west of the church. It was bombed in 1940. It has recently amalgamated with Alma School.
Bermondsey Gospel Mission with an illuminated "God is Love" sign stood at the comer with Abbey Street. It had been founded in 1864 by Walter Ryall and at first called the London Street Mission. Latterly it was used as a base for young missionaries. It was closed by the trustees in 1967 and taken over by London City Mission. Later demolished the current Building is flats for retired and young missionaries associated with the London City Mission.
9 Liliput Hall Pub. The building is now flats having closed in 2000
19 Salmon Youth Centre was Cambridge University Mission Settlement building on the corner of Marine Street dating from 1910. The Mission was founded in 1907 as a medical mission plus a boys' mission club and residential settlement. Rev. Harold Salmon was the first head. A building on Jamaica Road was bought in 1907; and new halls added in 1910. In 1922 the name changed to the Cambridge University Mission Settlement. It reopened after the Second World War in 1947/8. The buildings were significantly rebuilt during the 1950s.The mission building became the Salmon Youth Centre and was demolished in 2004/5 for the Bermondsey Spa project, which included a sports hall, drama space, chapel, and some housing
72 Rising Sun Pub. Mahogany bar with framed mirrors. The pub has now closed.
In the 18th Paradise Street ran from Mill Pond Bridge, roughly at the junction of today’s West Street, to the area of around current Kings Stairs Gardens where it turned south.
23 a plain brick house built in 1814 which was used as a police station from 1838. An iron lamp holder remains. A new Police Station was built in Lower Road in 1965 leaving this empty
33 Queens Head pub. This has now been demolished having been closed in 1973.
36 Red Lion pub. This was demolished. It was a two storied building which stood at the junction with Cathay Street on a site still unoccupied. It opened in 1792, closed in the 1950's and demolished in the early 1960's
67-69 Barley Mow pub. This has now gone
72 St.Peter and the Guardian Angels. Built in 1902 by F. W Tasker as a Roman Catholic Church. It is a simple, barn like brick building. At the east end is a presbytery with an attic and basement.
Six Bells Pub. This was in the street from 1757 until 1869
Hall. This has been extended to the west and it is a surviving part the St. Joseph’s Catholic School.
Pynfolds Estate. Said to be on the site of the Rose & Rummer pub 1757 until 1869. A mission hall was later built here and then in 1953 the Pynfolds Estate was built.
Priter was Chair of St. Olave's Vestry Board of Works.
Spa Road Station. The third station. The remains of the station which can be seen from the trading estate entrance in this road date from 1900. In 1867 the station was resited east of the earlier site with an entrance accessed from this road via what is now Priter Road. The station was renamed Spa Road & Bermondsey in 1877. The station was again reconfigured when the South Eastern and Chatham Railway was formed in 1899 from the South Eastern Railway and London, Chatham and Dover Railways. In 1915, the station was closed. In 1986, British Rail, the Southwark Environment Trust and the London Borough of Southwark restored the station frontage and installed two commemorative plaques. The railway arches and surrounding land became an industrial estate and housing block. A South Eastern Railway 'right of way notice' from 1936 is said to have remained here.
Prospect Street lies south of Jamaica Road and consists of blocks of local authority housing. Before redevelopment it crossed Jamaica Road to the north and reached as far as Paradise Street. It appears to follow the line of the Mill Stream which once ran from the area of Southwark Park to the River.
Providence Square. This is on the site of the Spillers Dog Food Factory which fronted onto Jacob Street. It consists of 3 6-storey residential blocks arranged around fenced private gardens. The narrow carriageway with reconstituted stone ﬂags and granite kerbs shows some of the previous scale of the site.
The land Rouel Road was built on was part of the Rolls Estate. The road itself was built in 1860
Rouel Tavern. Built in 1869 and now demolished
Tanneries. There two large tanneries one of them on the east side of Rouel Road opposite the congregational church and the other on the corner with Spa Road on the site which was later Pearce Duff.
Lipton preservative's factory built on the site of an earlier tannery. They produced jam and preservatives from 1894. . Thomas Lipton was a flamboyant Scot who aimed to undercut others with cheaper products. He had come from a poor background and built up a chain of grocery stores, and was best known for tea. He began to make jam to supply his stores, cutting out the middleman and using fruit from his own sources, and buying fruit farms for that purpose. He is credited with revolutionising the trade in and sale of many foods. The factory was closed after a fire in the 1960s.
Congregational Church built in the 1860s, which included a school room built in 1871 and associated with the Christian Brethren. From about 1908 the church began to have problems and was eventually managed by Dulwich Emmanuel Church. The Congregational Church gave the building up in 1917 handing over to the London Union. The YMCA had the building from 1929 using it along with the Boys’ Brigade. Between 1931-34 it became known as the Beulah Mission Church and in the late 1930s a synagogue
Rouel Road Synagogue. This was Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Synagogue until 1935. Set up in 1911 it had previously been in Union Road. They used an Ashkenazi Orthodox Ritual and were Independent until about 1935, when they became affiliated with the Federation of Synagogues. They closed about 1970 after which the building was demolished
93-95 Pearce & Duffs. A drysalters company founded in 1847 originating in a private house. The owners were Elizabeth Jane Duff (granddaughter of William Pearce), Daniel Duff and David Duff Jnr. The factory was on the corner with Spa Road and is said to have previously been a pub from which green tiled walls remained. It is also said that large windows remained as ventilation from previous use as a tannery. They are known for their various powdered goods – blancmange, custard powder and so on but early on they also made black lead and were described as black lead grinders. Their principle products were effectively grocery chemicals - baking powder and similar goods. They also made gelatine based products implying a connection with the local tannery trade. The firm did as much as possible in house and to this end had a packing and cardboard manufacture department.
Rouel Road Estate. Built in the 1970-5 with barrier a block along the railway line. Miniature upper gardens by Maurice Pickering
Scott Lidgett Crescent,
Named after Methodist Dr. J. Scott Lidgett who founded the Bermondsey Settlement in Farncombe Street. The road is part of Bermondsey Garden Suburb built in 1928 by the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey under Salter
Prince of Wales Pub. Closed.
This development lies adjacent to the line of the millstream
This square covers only the north western section of the park
The site of the park is shown on pre-19th maps as having a series of water bodies which fed the mill stream which flowed south to a Thames side mill - marked as Boziers Mill on the 1790s Horwood Plan,. These water bodies were known as the mill pond. It is said to have been a Tudor ballast pit enclosed by a bank and filled with tidal water. Eventually collection of sediment formed islands and the channels around them were used and managed with a flushing arrangement to work the riverside mill according to the tides. There was a whole complex of these waterways and islands and thus the name ‘Seven Islands’ was given to the area. There were fish in these ponds and the area became a fishery and leisure area. There appears to have been a pub here called The Swan which replaced a building called Island House Tea Gardens from where boats could be hired. This was burned down in 1799 and The Swan replaced it but later had a bad reputation.
In 1856 Rotherhithe Vestry asked the Metropolitan Board of Works to establish a public park here and this was agreed in 1863 with Royal Assent in 1864. Land used for market gardens was bought from Sir William Gomm and other land added. The original lay out was by the Board’s superintendent architect, Mr Vulliamy, and design by Alexander McKenzie. The Park opened in 1869.
Bandstand. By 1885 a bandstand was needed. Eventually one of a pair bought from the Royal Horticultural Society at South Kensington by the London County Council in 1899 was installed. Previously there had been a number of temporary arrangements and in 1883 the Metropolitan Board of Works had agreed to erect a bandstand here. The original space can be seen in the line of curved paths and in the placing of the plane trees. The bandstand was removed during the Second World War but a tarmaced area retains the shape. The current bandstand is a replica of that from South Kensington.
Carriage Drive. The site is divided from west to east by a carriage drive which links Southwark Park Road to Gomm Road on the east and it was originally intended that a drive should encircle the whole park. Blocks of land were left for buildings but this idea was abandoned and so the perimeter carriage drive was reduced in width but the stretch from Jamaica Gate retained the original width. It is separated from the park by iron railings. To the north are low mounds made from spoil removed during the construction of the nearby Rotherhithe Tunnel.
Bowling Green. A path runs from the carriage drive, to the Bowling Green which is set within an oval space, surrounded by a hawthorn hedge. A pavilion was provide in 1906 but was later destroyed and has been replaced. The bowling club was established in 1913.
Drinking fountain. This was built by public subscription in 1884 and dedicated to the life and labours of Jabez West, a member of the Temperance Society.
The eastern perimeter path, is lined with plane trees and from Paradise Gate follows the park boundary to link with the path north of the bowling green
The western perimeter path from Jamaica Gate runs south along the route of a redundant carriageway. A path leads to the rose garden to the south.
Southwark Park Road
Southwark Park Primary School. This local school is in a London Board School building by E.R. Robson of 1873 with extensions of 1899. The school is currently being refurbished and the children are in a building elsewhere.
Jamaica Gate. This was originally the main entrance to Southwark Park and it stands opposite what was the Southwark Park Tavern. Originally this gateway, unlike the others, had ornate iron construction, with two large gas lamps above scrolled iron pillars. This has been removed.
St.Crispin. This church was built in 1959 by T. F. Fore and replaced a church of 1879-80 by G. Robinson which was destroyed in Second World War bombing. Inside is a mural by Hans Feibusch and the ceiling is painted with sky and clouds. The single bell dates from 1838 and thus predates the earlier church. There is also a hall and rooms. The church was made redundant on in 1999. It is currently in use as a nursery
395 Southwark Park Tavern. It had French Impressionist prints and original hand pumps but this pub is now closed and in other use.
418 Stanley Arms Pub. This pub dates from the 1866s and is still open. It is said that a pub called the Joiners Arms preceded it on the site
440 Crown. This pub is closed but the building remains.
495 Jamaica Tavern. This pub has now been demolished.
The Peck stream joined Earl Sluice in this area.
Spa Road and Neckinger Estate Tenants and Residents Hall
112 Crown Pub. This has been demolished.
Spa Road Station. This station now disused has been on three slightly different sites on the railway viaduct. The first station dated from 1836 opened when the London and Greenwich Railway built the four-mile viaduct from London Bridge to Greenwich. The London and Greenwich wanted to open the first London Station. The line was partially opened as sections were completed and the first stretch opened was from Spa Road to Deptford in February 1836 with hourly trains. The station was very basic on a narrow space on a two-track viaduct with no buildings of any sort. The platforms were accessed via wooden staircases on the outside of the viaduct; and on the south side was a wooden hut where someone could issue tickets. Passengers were supposed to board from track level having ascended a staircase. Once London Bridge Station had opened in December 1836 use of Spa Road dropped and in 1838 it was closed until 1842. The second station was accessed from Marine Street. The third station was accessed from Priter Road and remains can be seen there.
Railway Bridge. This is an original on the London and Greenwich Railway and it is 53023' skew and carried the only gradient on the London Bridge side of the railway and this was marked by a distance post. Under the bridge are the original cast iron columns remain. The bridge was designed by George Landman in 1833 and a Brick semicircular arch is carried on 14 cast-iron Doric columns from the Dudley Foundry which separate the carriageway from narrower arched footways on either side. The whole now incorporated in a much larger railway bridge. This railway bridge was the first to be built in London, and the oldest that remains operational. It has been greatly widened on the west side by the addition of numerous lines.
Bermondsey Spa. The road is named for this 18th which stood where the junction with Rouel Road now is. In 1765 Thomas Keyse bought a pub called the Waterman’s Arms and turned it into a then fashionable spa. He turned local fields into gardens and for thirty years ran it as an entertainment establishment including an art gallery of his own paintings. The water was a bit murky and the area was full of tanneries.
Salvation Army Men's Hostel. Built c1912 to provide accommodation for single men at reasonable cost in clean and comfortable conditions. It was used by the Government during the Great War sheltering Belgian refugees, and reopened by the Salvation Army in 1925. The boiler house chimney was part of a depot for collecting and sorting salvage which opened in 1899. 150 men were employed here on paper and rag sorting. General Booth opened an extension to the Elevator. The complex included a box factory and a hostel for homeless men. In 1971 the Spa Road Complex was established and brought together the hostel, the family service centre, the laundry, and the rehabilitation workshop. The Spa Road Elevator was demolished in 2003
Bolanachi Empire Chocolate Company. This was on the corner with Rouel Road and a new block on the site is named for this works which closed in 1899. Bolanachi was a Turk working with chocolate bean growers and with a business originally based in Whitechapel. The works produced a chocolate paste which could be used to make drinks or as a flavouring. Coffee was also made here.
London Cotton Mills. This was the north west side of the railway bridge and made surgical wadding in the 1870s
126 Spa Tavern. This pub has been demolished
St. James Road
This was at one time Blue Anchor Road
Railway Bridge. The central part of the bridge has two arches; some of the bridge formed by a steel span, and as part of the original London and Greenwich railway would originally have been carried on brick arches. When the railway opened in 1836 a ticket office was provided here and purchasers were allowed to walk along the line side ‘boulevard’ to Spa Road station.
72 St.James Tavern. This dates from the 1860s.
This development lies adjacent to the site of the millstream
The road once extended from Jamaica Road southwards to curve east at the railway to Drummond Road.
66 Duffy and Co. In the 1880s made " Acme " wood flooring
St.James. Built in 1827-9 by James Savage. The grandest church in Bermondsey, and the most expensive of the Commissioners' churches. A committee had been set up in 1821 made up of tanners and builders. In order to supplement income a crypt was built for which fees could be charged on burials and many seats were not free. The spire is copied from Wren's St Stephen's, Walbrook and James Savage, the architect, modelled the church on Greek Temples with galleries round three sides and the organ in the west. 10 bells were cast by Mears of Whitechapel, from French cannon from Waterloo. A four-faced striking clock, was put in the tower and the organ, built by J.C. Bishop. The interior was altered in 1965 with the end and aisles divided off. The arched chancel has a painting of the Ascension of Christ by John Wood, 1844. Two pews were reserved for railway employees in 1836. It is now an evangelical church.
Slide in the playground in the former churchyard was a covered slide with a half-timbered tower, given to 'the little children of Bermondsey' in 1921.It appears to have now gone.
4 St. James vicarage. A new building on the site of Christ Church Vicarage.
School. The original St, James National School dating from the 1870s and which are now in a post-Second World War building nearby.
Fire Engine house. This stood in a corner of the churchyard until the London County Council fire station was built.
This was the previous name of the eastern end of Jamaica Road
Boundary of the ancient parishes of Bermondsey and Rotherhithe.
23 Two Brewers Pub. This is closed and is now flats.
South London Branch of the National Sailors' and Firemen's Union. This was on the corner of Cherry Garden Place
War Memorial. Dedicated to the men of Bermondsey and Rotherhithe who died in the Great War. It was lately financed by Peak Frean's and unveiled in 1921. It is a granite column with a capital set on an octagonal base, with a ball and flame detail at the top. The inscriptions are on arches on the square base. Above is a bronze coat of arms of the former Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey and Rotherhithe. Subsequent additions were ‘IN REMEMBRANCE OF ALL THOSE CIVILIANS AND MEMBERS OF THE CIVIL DEFENCES AND FIRE BRIGADE SERVICES WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THIS COMMUNITY 1939-1945 and: WHEN YOU GO HOME TELL THEM OF US AND SAY FOR YOUR TOMORROW WE GAVE OUR TODAY. AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
War memorial 3rd Volunteer Bn. The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment). This is a Memorial to those of the Borough, who gave their lives in the South African Wars of 1899 to 1902. It is believed that this Memorial was originally in the vestibule of the Bermondsey Town Hall in 1903 and was unveiled by General Sir Redvers Buller because Lord Roberts was unable to attend,
Mill pond. The road lay alongside the mill stream running to the site of Southwark Park and Seven Islands. Smaller mill pond lay south of the junction with Paradise Street.
This is part of the Garden City by Bermondsey Borough Council. Built 1924-1928 by the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey. Designed by Culpin & Bowers.
This was once called London Street and it was renamed Wolseley Street - after Field Marshall Sir Garnet Wolseley – the original of Gilbert and Sullivan's 'modern major-general.
Jacobs’s Biscuits. An extension of 1907 was marked 'W.R- Jacob & Co. Ltd.' Note the factory doorways marked 'Workers’ and 'Office ‘Building with an extension of 1907 with 'W.R.Jacob' written on it. Also doorways 'Workers' and 'Officers' . These buildings seem to have gone. Jacobs were an Irish company who began as makers of ships biscuits. They expanded with a large factory in Liverpool and later became part of United Biscuits. A building survives in Dockhead (outside of this square)..
33 Ship Aground. Pub with a window with Bill Sykes and dog in it
8 Dockhead Fire Station
Aldous. London Villages
Beasley. Southwark Remembered
Beasley. Southwark Revisited
Bennett. The First Railway in London
Bird. Geography of the Port of London
British Glues and Chemicals. Web site
British Listed Buildings., Web site
British Rail and the Mercury Group. Present Connection.
Cherry & Pevsner. London South
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Codrington. London South of the Thames,
Docklands History Survey.
Ellmers and Werner. London’s Lost Riverscape
English Heritage. Web site
Exploring Social Action. Web site
GLIAS Walk and Newsletter
Humphery. Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Remembered
Ideal Homes. Web site
Jewish Gen. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
London Docklands Guide,
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Mills. George Landmann
Nature Conservation in Southwark, Ecology Handbook
Osborne. Defending London
PMSA. Web site
Port Cities. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Riverside Primary School. Web site
Rouel Road. Wikipedia Web site
Rouel Road Church. Web site.
Southwark Lost Places of Worship. Web site.
Spa Road Station. Wikipedia. Web site
Survey of Industrial Monuments of Greater London
Talling. London’s Lost Rivers
Thomas, London’s First Railway,
Tower Bridge Moorings. Web site
Transpontine. Blog site
Walford. Village London.