Posts

Showing posts from 2020

Harrow on the Hill

Church Hill Old schools . In 1572 John Lyon, a local farmer established the school, on his death management passed to a Board of Governors. Their first duty was to replace the schoolhouse. It opened in 1615. Designed by a Mr. Sly in brick it faced Church Hill, with conservative Tudor details typical of its date.  The single-schoolroom lay below rooms for head master, usher, and governors’ room with panelling of 1661. It is described as the best preserved 17th century schoolroom in the country. All the exterior features date from 1819-21, when Cockerell enlarged and embellished the original school of 1608-15 adding a library and a speech room with a modern mezzanine and plain glass balcony by Alan Irvine, 1976.    There are sculptures of Spencer Perceval, R. B. Sheridan, Byron and Cardinal Manning.  The names of boys before 1847 are carved on the oak panelling including four of Harrow's seven prime ministers. Memorial plaqu e to Lord Shaftesbury on the Speech Room wall. St Mary’s Ch

Wealdstone

Archery Close Wealdstone Little Laundry site. It was run by Miss Jayne who ran women’s recruitment into munitions work in the Great War. She also introduced American laundry technology into England. The laundry was eventually taken over by Advance. He site is now housing Barons Mead Built on the site of a depot and warehouse based in Marlborough road Byron Road 18 Harrow East Labour Party office in interesting art deco building. 18v London Kalibari in the early 1980’s a group of first generation Hindu Bengalis had no suitable facilities that met the social, cultural and spiritual needs of their community. This led to the London Kalibari organisation. In 2012, London Kalibari obtained this property for us to put our Kali, The Kalibari is kept closed except during Opening Times 10-16 Wealdstone Joinery Works. This site was originally from 1913 Westerdick’s Joinery  but they moved to Greenhill in 1920 having successfully made side cars for the military during the Great War..  It then

South Norwood

Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre .  At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis

Harlesden Stonebridge

Post to the west Park Royal Post to the north Stonebridge Acton Lane Old substation.  This appears to be a railway electrification related building. Now in use by small business Harlesden Station This opened in 1912 and lies between Stonebridge Park and Willesden Junction on the Bakerloo Line and also on London Overground into Euston. London North West Railway. The story is however more complicated than that. The first railway station nearby – about 50 yards away – was called Willesden and it was opened in 1841 by the London and Birmingham Railway on what became their main line to Birmingham and beyond. It had wooden platforms beside two tracks, a small wooden ticket office and a coal siding. It closed, reopened in 1844 and closed finally when Willesden Junction station opened half a mile away in 1866. On 15 June 1912 the London North West Railway opened a new station here called Harleston. This was on a ‘new line’ opened between Euston Station and Watford. Five years later the